PDA

View Full Version : Argentine or Argentinean??

Little Monkey
24th-August-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi guys!

Ok, I'm possibly very stupid, but can anyone tell me if it's correct to say 'Argentine Tango' or 'Argentinean Tango'?? I've had a look online and both versions is used on tango websites. And according to my dictionary it can be both, too....

So - is one form English, and the other US?? Please help a confused wee Norwegian lass!

LM :flower:

Lynn
24th-August-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi guys!

Ok, I'm possibly very stupid, but can anyone tell me if it's correct to say 'Argentine Tango' or 'Argentinean Tango'?? I've had a look online and both versions is used on tango websites. And according to my dictionary it can be both, too....

So - is one form English, and the other US?? Please help a confused wee Norwegian lass!

LM :flower:I'm not sure about it being 'correct' but I say Argentinian (or Argentinean). Not sure if one is US and one English though.

David Bailey
24th-August-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure about it being 'correct' but I say Argentinian (or Argentinean). Not sure if one is US and one English though.
:yeah: I always thought it was Argentinian. But I'm happy to be corrected by someone with more knowledge than me (that's almost anyone...)

Tessalicious
24th-August-2005, 02:43 PM
:yeah: I always thought it was Argentinian. But I'm happy to be corrected by someone with more knowledge than me (that's almost anyone...)I think technically 'Tango' is the correct term, since it is the original tango, and the other kind, as the derivative, ought to be described as Ballroom Tango. But if you want to be specific, either Argentine or Argentinian is fine, although generally people who say 'Argentine' are the experts (which is of course why DJ says Argentinian :whistle: )

Lory
24th-August-2005, 03:29 PM
HERE (http://www.tangoalfresco.com/) ...on the line under the heading, I hope that helps?

Little Monkey
24th-August-2005, 06:06 PM
Well, I'm none the wiser....

This all just proves to me that: a) Both forms can be used, and nobody knows if any form is 'more correct' than the other, and b) Most forumites need a course in spelling.... ARGENTINEAN..... :whistle:

Pedantic Little Monkey

Whitebeard
24th-August-2005, 06:45 PM
'Argentine Tango' or 'Argentinean Tango'??
Argentine refers to something silvery.

Argentinian refers to something of or pertaining to that country.

So the former would appear to be quite the wrong usage.

David Bailey
24th-August-2005, 06:59 PM
generally people who say 'Argentine' are the experts (which is of course why DJ says Argentinian :whistle: )
Well, if you're going to get technical, I suspect "arrabalero" is the correct term :innocent:

Plus, who led CRL into a spin? Huh?

b) Most forumites need a course in spelling.... ARGENTINEAN..... :whistle:
??? There's definitely no E - or is that what you were saying? :confused:

Ballroom queen
24th-August-2005, 07:11 PM
Argentine refers to something silvery.

Argentinian refers to something of or pertaining to that country.

So the former would appear to be quite the wrong usage.

My Oxford english dictionary tells me that Argentine is an adjective and a noun. In brackets is says "also Argentinian" (i not e). It goes on to say that the adjective is "of or relating to Argentina", and the noun is "a native or national of Argentina"

On the next line is argentine, (note small a not capital A) adjective of silver, silvery.

Hope that helps

Minnie M
24th-August-2005, 07:16 PM
or as they say in the Brighton based Tango Classes "Tango Argentino"

Yogi_Bear
24th-August-2005, 09:15 PM
or as they say in the Brighton based Tango Classes "Tango Argentino"
Indeed. That is one way round it. Without checking, I would say that Argentinean is rather a mouthful and an inelegant word to boot - Argentine seems better :whistle:

DavidB
24th-August-2005, 10:27 PM
I found one article (http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=430918) that suggested that Argentinian was a British term, and Argentine was an American term.

Argentina is named after silver (or the latin for silver) because the first explorers thought there was a mountain of silver to be found there.

Little Monkey
24th-August-2005, 10:45 PM
My Oxford english dictionary tells me that Argentine is an adjective and a noun. In brackets is says "also Argentinian" (i not e). It goes on to say that the adjective is "of or relating to Argentina", and the noun is "a native or national of Argentina"

On the next line is argentine, (note small a not capital A) adjective of silver, silvery.

Hope that helps

Well, so much for bl**dy spell check - giving me the wrong spelling. It tells me ArgentinEan is correct, and ArgentinIan is wrong... And there's a hell of a lot of websites out there with wrong spelling (Argentinean), which doesn't make it any easier to find out what's right or wrong!!!

Bum-bum-bum.... And here was I feeling all smug! :blush:

Clearly I've still got a long way to go before I fully master the English language.... :(

*Little Monkey hangs head in shame, and sneaks away to sign up for the nearest 'English for Dummies' course*

Ballroom queen
25th-August-2005, 01:09 AM
Well, so much for bl**dy spell check - giving me the wrong spelling. It tells me ArgentinEan is correct, and ArgentinIan is wrong... And there's a hell of a lot of websites out there with wrong spelling (Argentinean), which doesn't make it any easier to find out what's right or wrong!!!

Bum-bum-bum.... And here was I feeling all smug! :blush:

Clearly I've still got a long way to go before I fully master the English language.... :(

*Little Monkey hangs head in shame, and sneaks away to sign up for the nearest 'English for Dummies' course*

is your default language set on uk English???? :hug:

Clive Long
25th-August-2005, 01:12 AM
So when the bl**dy whatever are we going to stop talking about it and just get on and do it?

CRL

David Bailey
25th-August-2005, 08:28 AM
So when the bl**dy whatever are we going to stop talking about it and just get on and do it?

CRL
Well, I couldn't possibly sign up to a course without knowing what it's called :whistle:

Lynn
25th-August-2005, 09:41 AM
Actually while I would call a person from Argentina an Argentinian, and I have used the term re tango - its probably easier to say Argentine Tango than Argentinian Tango.

Only had about 3 lessons but would love to do more.

Little Monkey
25th-August-2005, 11:23 AM

CRL

I'm doing it, mate! Trying to set up a tango society in Dundee as we speak! So, when are you going to do it?? :wink:

Little Monkey has been Tangoed

Ballroom queen
25th-August-2005, 02:08 PM

CRL

Sunday Regent's park???

Anyone???