PDA

View Full Version : commuting southeast

JoC
24th-August-2005, 10:09 AM
This is not a particularly exciting question but I'm going to ask it anyway!
I'm curious as to how long typically people take to get to work from home down there. So how long...?

Lucy Locket I know yours!!! :what:

Will
24th-August-2005, 10:21 AM
35-40 mins

Clive Long
24th-August-2005, 10:25 AM
"usual" travel time is an hour.

Longest has been two hours - each way - good thing I like reading

Clive

p.s. why don't you have a poll on travel time? We have polls on everything. How about a poll on who has created a poll ????? ...

JoC
24th-August-2005, 10:42 AM
p.s. why don't you have a poll on travel time?That thought wafted though my mind ever so briefly, I was torn, was my question worthy of a poll? And if not, was it even worthy of a thread in that case?

Okay I give up, I was lazy and impatient! (Do you think I should?)

LMC
24th-August-2005, 11:05 AM
1 - 2 hours. Each way. Given that I pay 3 grand a year for the privilege this is just an indicator of how crazy the imbalance is in work availability and salaries between London and the rest of the country :rolleyes:

Time does depend on permutations of

being a good girl and walking to station / driving to station
standing on fast train / catching up on sleep on slow train (which usually has seats)
walking to office from station / catching tube

Just lately it's been mainly "drive to station, slow train, walk to office swigging cappucino in vain attempt to wake up" - which takes about 1.5 hours.

This is assuming WAGN (= We Are Going Nowhere) is behaving, if the signals are down AGAIN then all bets are off :mad:

Icey
24th-August-2005, 01:34 PM
20 minutes each way, 30 at the most when the schools are back.

As I drive to/from work I also have the added comfort of heating, a roof over my head, various radio stations and CDs if I get bored of the adverts, and sweeties and drinks to hand :grin:

Dizzy
24th-August-2005, 02:04 PM
At the moment, 20 minutes each way

If I have to commute into central London though, it normally takes about 40-50 minutes.

TiggsTours
24th-August-2005, 02:14 PM
It takes me about an hour and a half, and I only live 10 miles away!

Oh the joys of commuting in London!

John S
24th-August-2005, 03:29 PM
I work from home, so from my bedroom to my desk takes, ohh, the best part of 2 minutes. :)

Stuart
24th-August-2005, 05:54 PM
About 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how much stuff I have to carry or how awake I am.

Minnie M
24th-August-2005, 05:57 PM
About 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how much stuff I have to carry or how awake I am.
:yeah: ditto

Chef
24th-August-2005, 06:00 PM
About 45 minutes each way no matter whose house I am travelling from.

JoC
24th-August-2005, 10:32 PM
Variable then...I wasn't sure if it was a foregone conclusion that everyone commuted in excess of an hour but evidently not. Interesting thankyou, curiosity satisfied. :)

WittyBird
24th-August-2005, 11:43 PM
depending on what time i leave.. normally about 20 mins but then I like to get into work early to get my candidates CV's out before everyone else.... oh its so cut throat :rofl:

Clive Long
25th-August-2005, 01:01 AM
About 45 minutes each way no matter whose house I am travelling from.
This is definitely a Leslie Philips raised eyebrow moment.

Details. We need details dear Cheffy.

CRL

Chef
25th-August-2005, 09:45 AM
This is definitely a Leslie Philips raised eyebrow moment.

Details. We need details dear Cheffy.

CRL

Not quite as risque as you might think. I either travel from my own house (Maidstone), Dawns house (Mayfield, south of Tunbridge Wells) or Wednesday night at my mums house in Dagenham. It just seems to work out that my journey time to Tonbridge (where I work) is 45 minutes from these places (unless the M25 fouls up during my journey to my mother).

The truth is much more dull that an imagination. Sorry.

JoC
25th-August-2005, 12:54 PM
Not quite as risque as you might think. *snip*
The truth is much more dull that an imagination. Sorry.Yeah yeah, now can we have the real version please? :wink: