PDA

View Full Version : What's happening - Saturday 27th August

TiggsTours
23rd-August-2005, 12:18 PM
Does annyone know what's going on this Saturday, or where they're planning on going? I know of Finchley, but don't really fancy it (sorry anyone I might offend by that!) or else I've got the choice of a 10 minute drive to the Guinness club or a 2 hour drive to Bromley, and having only been to the Guinness Club once, give me the 2 hour drive anytime! :whistle:

Is there anything else? North/West/North-West London? South Hertfordshire, heading west out of London off the M4 or M40, or south down the M3 perhaps?

Clive Long
23rd-August-2005, 12:25 PM
Does annyone know what's going on this Saturday, or where they're planning on going? I know of Finchley, but don't really fancy it (sorry anyone I might offend by that!) or else I've got the choice of a 10 minute drive to the Guinness club or a 2 hour drive to Bromley, and having only been to the Guinness Club once, give me the 2 hour drive anytime! :whistle:

Is there anything else? North/West/North-West London? South Hertfordshire, heading west out of London off the M4 or M40, or south down the M3 perhaps?
So what does constitute a decent night out for you the divine Miss TT?

The normal style here is to say how wonderful everything is. :whistle:

CRL

LMC
23rd-August-2005, 12:31 PM
Bromley is beyond my travel pain-barrier for a venue I don't know.

But I can be very definite and decisive about the fact that I'm sitting on the fence...

Icey
23rd-August-2005, 12:49 PM
But I can be very definite and decisive about the fact that I'm sitting on the fence...

And she'll sit there wavering from one option to another until about 4pm on the day of the event, weighing up who is going where and whose knee she wants to sit on most and then ...toss a coin to decide.

:hug:

JoC
23rd-August-2005, 01:03 PM
Personally I would consult my horoscope to make this kind of big decision.

David Bailey
23rd-August-2005, 01:03 PM
Does annyone know what's going on this Saturday, or where they're planning on going? I know of Finchley, but don't really fancy it (sorry anyone I might offend by that!)
Hmpph, after all the cabaret effort we made as well... :tears:

I think Gunness and Finchley are the main ones in London - but I don't fancy Guinness. :whistle:

Icey
23rd-August-2005, 01:11 PM
Hmpph, after all the cabaret effort we made as well... :tears:

If the caberet is promised to be performed again (and I think that there would be HUGE interest) then I know where I'm going :rofl:

TiggsTours
23rd-August-2005, 01:19 PM
So what does constitute a decent night out for you the divine Miss TT?

The normal style here is to say how wonderful everything is. :whistle:

CRL
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Finchley last night, its just that for a Saturday night, I like something a bit bigger. I've only been to the Guinness Club once, and it may have been a bad night, but it did sort of resemble a night down the British Legion! (That night, at least)

David Bailey
23rd-August-2005, 01:21 PM
If the caberet is promised to be performed again (and I think that there would be HUGE interest) then I know where I'm going :rofl:
:eek: Err... what was that about Guinness again?

Well, I'm sure the boys will be up for a rematch - I think it's someone else's turn to be the bossy macho lead next time though. And maybe we should all wear white T-shirts, so that people can tell us apart more easily... :whistle:

TiggsTours
23rd-August-2005, 01:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Finchley last night, its just that for a Saturday night, I like something a bit bigger. I've only been to the Guinness Club once, and it may have been a bad night, but it did sort of resemble a night down the British Legion! (That night, at least)
That all said, I could be swayed towards Finchley depending on who's going, but I don't think I could be swayed towards the Guinness Club!

Scot
23rd-August-2005, 01:27 PM
That all said, I could be swayed towards Finchley depending on who's going, but I don't think I could be swayed towards the Guinness Club!

Why limit your options, travel a little, there is a party in Edinburgh this Saturday :clap:

TiggsTours
23rd-August-2005, 01:30 PM
Why limit your options, travel a little, there is a party in Edinburgh this Saturday :clap:

Ah, but I fly to Spain on Sunday, might be pushing things a little.

David Bailey
23rd-August-2005, 01:33 PM
Well, if it's any incentive, I suspect we won't have 4 hours of Latin music... :tears:

ducasi
23rd-August-2005, 01:40 PM
Why limit your options, travel a little, there is a party in Edinburgh this Saturday :clap: To celebrate my first six months of dancing (today!) I'm going to Edinburgh on Saturday! :waycool:

And unlike last time, I promise to stay after 10pm!!! :wink:

Hope to see lots of new and familiar faces. :cheers:

(And didn't I hear a rumour they'd be a Sassenach come to visit us??)

Clive Long
23rd-August-2005, 02:31 PM
Ah, but I fly to Spain on Sunday, might be pushing things a little.
Spain. Where?

I'm getting the feeling that a good Spanish holiday for you and a good Spanish holiday for me would have little points of overlap.

Love your dancing tho' girl.

CRL

TiggsTours
23rd-August-2005, 02:43 PM
Spain. Where?

I'm getting the feeling that a good Spanish holiday for you and a good Spanish holiday for me would have little points of overlap.

CRL
I fly to Valencia on Sunday, back on the following Friday. I'm there for La Tomatina, the world's biggest tomato fight!

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/video/eventpage.asp?event_id=36

When are you there? Whereabouts? Can I pelt you with tomatoes?

TiggsTours
23rd-August-2005, 02:47 PM
Spain. Where?

CRL
Ah, mis-read this, thought you said you were going to Spain too.

Clive Long
23rd-August-2005, 02:52 PM
Ah, mis-read this, thought you said you were going to Spain too.
Unfortunately I'm not. I'll be in Scotland's fair capital. You can relax and enjoy your holiday now.

TiggsTours
23rd-August-2005, 02:58 PM
Spain. Where?

CRL

Also, you may have got something wrong about me, the idea of a whole night of hot and steamy salsa in a room full of sexy latino or mediteranean boys, now THAT would be fun! A night of dancing ceroc to latin music (which I find repetitive and not much fun to play with) that's not such fun (TO ME! I KNOW I'M IN THE MINORITY HERE, THERE'S NO NEED TO POINT IT OUT!)

Clive Long
23rd-August-2005, 03:01 PM
Also, you may have got something wrong about me, the idea of a whole night of hot and steamy salsa in a room full of sexy latino or mediteranean boys, now THAT would be fun! A night of dancing ceroc to latin music (which I find repetitive and not much fun to play with) that's not such fun (TO ME! I KNOW I'M IN THE MINORITY HERE, THERE'S NO NEED TO POINT IT OUT!)
Seems to me you need to compare notes with DavidJames and Andreas - they seem to know every seedy Salsa venue from here to Frankfurt. :devil:

David Bailey
23rd-August-2005, 03:55 PM
Seems to me you need to compare notes with DavidJames and Andreas - they seem to know every seedy Salsa venue from here to Frankfurt. :devil:
Hey, it's not easy finding seedy salsa venues, you know, I have to work at it.

It involves long arduous hours of research, many of which have to be spent in the company of gorgeous and scantily-clad women, and much body contact with said women being necessary.

I also suspect Frankfurt isn't known for it's salsa venues, seedy or otherwise. Madrid, however... :drool:

Missy D
23rd-August-2005, 06:44 PM
I will going to Bromley as i have never been there on a saturday before.. Finchley is only 2 minutes from my house but i go there on a monday. Me and sis really enjoyed monday and will hopefully be there again real soon :nice:

Danielle
23rd-August-2005, 10:50 PM

ummm if you are after sexy latino boys :drool: :drool: (cos i know i'll be!!!)latin square in Farringdon is hosting the latinfest with an evening of salsa and lambada and other latin music till 3am - i'll be there!!!

sorry David not sure if its seedy or not, never been before :wink:

David Bailey
24th-August-2005, 08:46 AM
ummm if you are after sexy latino boys
Not really - but I'm now looking for a volunteer 3rd man for Treble Trouble on Sat at Finchley, volunteers welcome (but will be required to pass the follicle test...). Sexiness is optional.

latin square in Farringdon is hosting the latinfest with an evening of salsa and lambada and other latin music till 3am - i'll be there!!!
Yes, that's part of the London Latin Fest (http://www.londonsalsa.co.uk/eventDetails.php?eventID=86) - but, 3am? Hah, that's nothing - the salsa all-nighter in Kings Cross on Sunday-Monday is 9pm - 6am. Now that's a serious amount of dancing.

Why can't we do that on a bank-holiday with MJ? :tears:

sorry David not sure if its seedy or not, never been before :wink:
Amazingly enough, neither have I. :eek:

Sheepman
24th-August-2005, 11:42 AM
There's also JagJive on at Gt Bookham this Saturday, one of my favourite dances (as I've often said. Zzzzzz). With a jive hall and swing and blues room, plus a limit on the numbers. I'm told new for this month is the air conditioning too :clap:

Now I'd better make sure I'm booked, 'cos it's nearly sold out...

Greg

Danielle
24th-August-2005, 12:39 PM
Yes, that's part of the London Latin Fest (http://www.londonsalsa.co.uk/eventDetails.php?eventID=86) - but, 3am? Hah, that's nothing - the salsa all-nighter in Kings Cross on Sunday-Monday is 9pm - 6am. Now that's a serious amount of dancing.

I know i plan to be there :clap: :clap: then if i have enough energy (i doubt it though) off to carnival!!!!

TiggsTours
24th-August-2005, 03:26 PM
So:

DJ is off to Finchley
Scot, ducasi & Clive are off to Edinburgh
Missy D is off to Bromley
Danielle is off the the London Latin Fest
and Sheepman is off to Great Bookham, which is probably sold out

Everybody else is putting their feet up with a cuppa and a good book?

LMC
24th-August-2005, 03:40 PM
So:

DJ is off to Finchley
Scot, ducasi & Clive are off to Edinburgh
Missy D is off to Bromley
Danielle is off the the London Latin Fest

Everybody else is putting their feet up with a cuppa and a good book?

I'm still sat firmly on the fence keeping my options open. I've had an invitation to NOT go dancing :eek: - which might appeal actually, as Friday, Sunday and Monday should be enough... :blush:

Guess you're sat on the fence too Tiggs? *budges up*

Chef
24th-August-2005, 05:18 PM

Dawn and I are off to Bookham as well (we have a standing order on reservations as we would not want to miss it). But a call to John Miller about 5 minutes ago showed there were still 40 places available. He always has a last moment rush of people and almost always gets to his limit but that is the situation now.

If anyone wants to come along I would be glad to see you but if you don't I will be happy to dance in the space you leave.

Minnie M
24th-August-2005, 05:25 PM
I have just rung John Miller (JagJive, at Bookham) so that's me sorted for Saturday Night :clap: save me a dance please Mr. Sheepy :hug:

John said there are still tickets left for Saturday (see Chef's post above) and they have a very popular Swing/Blues room DJ is John Ford (Swinging Bee) :worthy: of Jive Hive

Russell Saxby
27th-August-2005, 05:23 PM
I have just rung John Miller (JagJive, at Bookham) so that's me sorted for Saturday Night :clap: save me a dance please Mr. Sheepy :hug:

John said there are still tickets left for Saturday (see Chef's post above) and they have a very popular Swing/Blues room DJ is John Ford (Swinging Bee) :worthy: of Jive Hive

I left it a bit too late - apparently all sold out :tears:

Have a FAB night :cheers:

Russell

Dance Demon
27th-August-2005, 05:41 PM

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Robin
27th-August-2005, 05:59 PM
There's also a freestyle at Finchley

El Salsero Gringo
27th-August-2005, 06:20 PM
Call me a gadfly why don't you, but I plan to go to both Guinness and Finchley.

Robin
27th-August-2005, 07:02 PM
Call me a gadfly why don't you, but I plan to go to both Guinness and Finchley.

"Your're a gadfly"

El Salsero Gringo
27th-August-2005, 07:23 PM
You know, I had a quiet bet with myself as to whether it would be you or David James who came up with that, and guess what - I won. I am however slightly surprised it took you all of 42 minutes to think of such a witty riposte.

JoC
28th-August-2005, 02:47 AM
I'll be in Scotland's fair capital.Making happy Scotland's ladies. ;) (or so I heard)

ducasi
28th-August-2005, 03:53 AM
... I'll be in Scotland's fair capital. ... :yeah:

It was really good to meet you. Who'd have thought it – a nice Englishman!? :waycool:

Want to read all about the party (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/08/28/edinburgh-party/)? :wink:

David Bailey
28th-August-2005, 11:19 AM
You know, I had a quiet bet with myself as to whether it would be you or David James who came up with that, and guess what - I won. I am however slightly surprised it took you all of 42 minutes to think of such a witty riposte.
I was offline. Sorry, won't happen again.

Good to see you turned up fashionably late at 11.45pm... :grin:

Clive Long
28th-August-2005, 09:58 PM
It was really good to meet you. Who'd have thought it – a nice Englishman!? :waycool:

ha! ha! my evil plan is working. They suspect nothing, master!

Want to read all about the party (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/08/28/edinburgh-party/)? :wink:
Great to meet you in the "flesh" Ducasi :wink:
Those shoes of yours are just too sexy.
Thanks to JoC for feeding various named individuals my way.
Sorry if I forgot anyone's name but great to meet: Danielle, ClaireS and inadvertently bumping into KillingTime at the "haven't you got homes to go to?" time.

I enjoyed the evening at Marco's. There were plenty of accomplished dancers to keep me in my place and challenge me to do something that was "interesting" (yes,yes, I know everyone prefers beginners moves done well etc. etc.) There were a fair number of beginner dancers Marco's which is a good thing in that new people are keen to learn this dance. Well done to CerocScotland for that achievement.

Dancing at Marco's was a welcome relief to two days of running around Edinburgh trying to find temporary theatres in converted milk crates. I like the atmosphere during the festival / fringe. The centre of the city seems infused and enthused by the spirit of it. OK - one could be cynical and put a spin saying it's all just a tourist thing - but being able to buy chips at 2am and a pint at 4am can't be all bad. However, I have to go to festival on my own because trying to agree what to see and where to meet up would be just impossible for me.

If you haven't been to Edinburgh or the festival /fringe I'd recommend both - together even. Glasgow is great too. And Aberdeen, and Inverness, and St. Andrews, and the isles, and Dunbar and Livingstone (I'm drowning ...). Sorry, did I miss Dundee? As JoC and I agree (cowers behind small, indigenous woman) it has two city mottoes:

"Dundee! It's getting better!"
and
"Dundee! It's not a bad as you think!"

:D :ducks:

CRL