PDA

View Full Version : Ego

tiger
22nd-August-2005, 08:26 PM
Having read some of the 'hotshot' threads,im interested to find out what it is in dancing that creates both the fragile+big ego's.

any thoughts?

Daisy Chain
22nd-August-2005, 08:52 PM
Lack of confidence and arrogance

Daisy

(A Shy Little Flower)

Gojive
22nd-August-2005, 09:49 PM
Lack of confidence and arrogance

Daisy

(A Shy Little Flower)

I would have thought an abundance of arrogance would be more suitable? :whistle:

djtrev
22nd-August-2005, 10:51 PM
As far as ego's are concerned,this forum certainly helps with every one telling each other what wonderful dancers,dj's,teachers,organisers,cake makers and all round good eggs we all are. :whistle: :whistle:

There is one particular person whose ego took such a battering after a weekender that he took home all his music and wont come out to play with us any more.

Sits down in flame retardent suit and waits.

SilverFox
23rd-August-2005, 12:31 AM
There is one particular person whose ego took such a battering after a weekender that he took home all his music and wont come out to play with us any more.Even Supernanny would have her work cut out for her....

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-August-2005, 07:50 AM
As far as ego's are concerned,this forum certainly helps with every one telling each other what wonderful dancers,dj's,teachers,organisers,cake makers and all round good eggs we all are. :whistle: :whistle:

There is one particular person whose ego took such a battering after a weekender that he took home all his music and wont come out to play with us any more.

Sits down in flame retardent suit and waits.You're just envious that no one ever told you you make good cakes. :whistle:

MartinHarper
23rd-August-2005, 09:00 AM
Agreeing with djtrev. In MJ folks tend to give lots of compliments, and little in the way of negative feedback. Thus, it is hard for people to have a realistic view of their own competence, or lack thereof.

Lory
23rd-August-2005, 09:42 AM

Who :confused: What :confused: Why :confused: :sad:

Agreeing with djtrev. In MJ folks tend to give lots of compliments, and little in the way of negative feedback. Thus, it is hard for people to have a realistic view of their own competence, or lack thereof.
That's a good thing, isn't it :confused:

As far as I'm concerned, I think some people just choose to use their hearing selectively...

There's some who can have a hundred compliments paid to them but only choose to hear the ONE small negative comment and dwell on that. :rolleyes:

Others that have skin like old leather and never accept they do ANYTHING wrong, they selectively hear, only the good :rolleyes:

And thankfully, there are a few normal folk out there, who're able to keep a balanced view. :worthy:

They accept peoples compliments graciously but don't let them go to their head ;) they listen and take on board the negatives but are able to see objectively, if its a fair comment or not, by working out how 'worthy' and what the 'motives' are, of the person dishing them out! :cheers:

djtrev
23rd-August-2005, 10:21 AM
Dont get me wrong.I am all for giving praise and compliments where it is due,but sometimes it comes over very sycophantic.

Quote from Lory
Who What Why

If you PM Silver Fox he might tell you!!
He did enough to burst this persons ego in just one post.

Lory
23rd-August-2005, 10:24 AM
It's OK, I've now had 4 PM's telling me :wink:

Dur :blush: :rolleyes:

stewart38
23rd-August-2005, 10:34 AM
Having read some of the 'hotshot' threads,im interested to find out what it is in dancing that creates both the fragile+big ego's.

any thoughts?

Thought this thread was about me then ??

I think its sadder for people with fragile egos.

Russell Saxby
23rd-August-2005, 02:00 PM
It's OK, I've now had 4 PM's telling me :wink:

Dur :blush: :rolleyes:

well you gonna PM me and let me know aswell???

Donna
23rd-August-2005, 02:11 PM

and moi??

CJ
23rd-August-2005, 02:16 PM

Count me in with the PM's, but frankly, I think this type of behaviour is dreadful.

You would never see me trying to peg an ego or two down on this forum :really: : that would be just plain wrong. :D

(evil, beavis laughter...) :devil:

Lou
23rd-August-2005, 02:51 PM
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lou
-x-

A Combative Little Diva. :flower: ;)

Dan Hudson
23rd-August-2005, 04:37 PM
i don't know either :blush:

Lynn
23rd-August-2005, 05:05 PM
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now. That's going to bug me now... where from please?

Re the egos - you probably get as much in some worksplaces as in dancing.

Interestingly, the places I haven't come across many 'egos' have been amongst people in much poorer situations, who have little materially. I think many people in today's 'western' society are quite insecure emotionally, although relatively well off and comfortable in material possessions..

Stuart M
23rd-August-2005, 05:20 PM
That's going to bug me now... where from please?

Zaphod Beeblebrox...

Russell Saxby
23rd-August-2005, 05:31 PM

don't worry a quick search gave me all the info I need - how did that one slip me by????

djtrev
23rd-August-2005, 05:36 PM
Well done Russell it didnt take much of an effort did it.

For those that cant be bothered here is said post from SF.

What a load of complete and utter b***ocks!Have you really got your head so far up your ar$e that you seriously believe that?

You were paid to play the last set on Monday morning but chose to dance for most of it, whilst ignoring requests to slow the music down to something more condusive to the mood in the room IMHO.

If you can't be bothered to do the job you are paid to do, I would suggest Sheepman is given the opportunity next time to do the job properly.

Follow that as they say!!

tiger
23rd-August-2005, 06:55 PM
Re Stewart38's reply....

What do you mean by your reply? (sadder for those fragile egos)

Lynn
23rd-August-2005, 11:14 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox... Thanks! Of course. It was really familiar because I have read the books so many times!

Cruella
31st-August-2005, 03:55 PM
Well done Russell it didnt take much of an effort did it.

For those that cant be bothered here is said post from SF.

What a load of complete and utter b***ocks!Have you really got your head so far up your ar$e that you seriously believe that?

You were paid to play the last set on Monday morning but chose to dance for most of it, whilst ignoring requests to slow the music down to something more condusive to the mood in the room IMHO.

If you can't be bothered to do the job you are paid to do, I would suggest Sheepman is given the opportunity next time to do the job properly.

Follow that as they say!!

Subtle as ever SF!!

Donna
31st-August-2005, 04:27 PM

any thoughts?

It is, in the field of psychology, a necessary aspect in the growth of your mind and emotions. Some people can become so obsessed by dancing that they can become quite good at it. It only takes a few people to tell you that, and then that's when they start believing they are better than they really are. Siiiigh.....sad but true. :rolleyes:

stewart38
31st-August-2005, 04:34 PM
It is, in the field of psychology, a necessary aspect in the growth of your mind and emotions. Some people can become so obsessed by dancing that they can become quite good at it. It only takes a few people to tell you that, and then that's when they start believing they are better than they really are. Siiiigh.....sad but true. :rolleyes:

Interesting and no doubt true

There was recent thread that put some so called 'top dancers' in Man Utd/Chelsea catergory. Then I thought where would that couple I saw at Bisley (names I forget) who id put 5/10 leagues above them go ?

Donna
31st-August-2005, 04:41 PM
Interesting and no doubt true

There was recent thread that put some so called 'top dancers' in Man Utd/Chelsea catergory. Then I thought where would that couple I saw at Bisley (names I forget) who id put 5/10 leagues above them go ?

You see? Proves i'm right. :)

alex
31st-August-2005, 05:05 PM
There was recent thread that put some so called 'top dancers' in Man Utd/Chelsea catergory. Then I thought where would that couple I saw at Bisley (names I forget) who id put 5/10 leagues above them go ?how about the "full time professional dancers - 3rd division"