PDA

View Full Version : Partner Dancing on TV tonight (Sunday)

DavidY
21st-August-2005, 03:29 PM
Tonight (Sunday 21 August)@ 18:35 on BBC1:

"Strauss - the Waltz King". Actually I'm not sure how much is about the Waltz and how much about Strauss, but I'll set the video in any case.

My favourite bit from the Radio Times write up, about the Waltz:

"'Outraged' in The Times was saying, 'Do you not realise what a lascivious form of encounter this really is?'" says [Lesley] Garrett. "And everyone went, 'Er, yeah - but we're having fun!'"

Lynn
21st-August-2005, 05:03 PM
On the subject of partner dancing on TV today...

Saw a bit of Eastenders a while ago (when I turned over after the show jumping, which was fab! :clap: ) - saw the salsa bit - it was being presented as something exclusively for the older generation, a way of getting UCP with members of the opposite sex, with the teacher being 'charming' to the point of 'ick' and a fake too! I wouldn't say it will encourage many people to go along to their local salsa class! :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
21st-August-2005, 07:44 PM
On the subject of partner dancing on TV today...

Saw a bit of Eastenders a while ago (when I turned over after the show jumping, which was fab! :clap: ) - saw the salsa bit - it was being presented as something exclusively for the older generation, a way of getting UCP with members of the opposite sex, with the teacher being 'charming' to the point of 'ick' and a fake too! I wouldn't say it will encourage many people to go along to their local salsa class! :rofl:The teacher they featured is a good friend of DangerousCurves; perhaps that's how the director wanted it?

Stuart
21st-August-2005, 10:13 PM
Tonight (Sunday 21 August)@ 18:35 on BBC1:

"Strauss - the Waltz King". Actually I'm not sure how much is about the Waltz and how much about Strauss, but I'll set the video in any case.

My favourite bit from the Radio Times write up, about the Waltz:

I watched this and found it interesting. There was some stuff about the origins of the waltz and how it developed, but mostly it was about the two Strausses.

Lynn
21st-August-2005, 11:09 PM
perhaps that's how the director wanted it?I'm sure that's how the director wanted it - the character seems to have to try to charm Pauline Fowler after all (and she seems to know his secret about being a fake!).

Minnie M
22nd-August-2005, 07:31 AM
Saw a bit of Eastenders a while ago (when I turned over after the show jumping, which was fab! :clap: ) - saw the salsa bit - it was being presented as something exclusively for the older generation, a way of getting UCP with members of the opposite sex, with the teacher being 'charming' to the point of 'ick' and a fake too! I wouldn't say it will encourage many people to go along to their local salsa class! :rofl:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5818&highlight=eastenders

Lynn
22nd-August-2005, 09:27 AM
Thank goodness they have a real dancer involved! Is he an actor as well? I know there are restrictions against using non-actors in acting roles. I thought they were using an actor they had given dancing lessons to.

When I said a 'fake' I mean that he's supposed to be pretending to be from somewhere exotic when he isn't! The little secret that Pauline is in on.

If I was a man, I would be afraid to go to that salsa class, esp with Mo on the hunt to get her hands on the men! :rofl:

David Bailey
22nd-August-2005, 09:27 AM
:clap: I knew I'd seen it discussed before, couldn't remember where.

I'm less-than-totally-shocked that the producers of a low-quality soap don't reflect life as we know it. The salsa scene in London of course bears no relationship to that shown in Eastenders.

But then, pretty much all life in London also bears no relationship to that shown in Eastenders, so at least they're consistent.

E.g.:
- no-one watches or talks about telly
- no-one makes a mint by selling all these massive houses in central London
- no-one commutes to work
- no-one ever mentions anything about money (in terms of amounts)
- no-one talks about politics, current affairs or (Dot aside) religion
- etc. ...

Oh yes, and no-one does salsa like that too.

Lynn
22nd-August-2005, 10:07 AM
Oh yes, and no-one does salsa like that too.Even more frustrating now that I know they have a proper teacher in the role - then make him fit into a very cliched stereotype! But as you say DJ - what more do you expect from a soap.

David Bailey
22nd-August-2005, 10:39 AM
Even more frustrating now that I know they have a proper teacher in the role - then make him fit into a very cliched stereotype! But as you say DJ - what more do you expect from a soap.
Oh yes - and everyone, despite having no money at all, always finds enough cash to be in the flippin' pub all the time buying drinks.

And no-one smokes. Or takes casual drugs. Or swears. Or... OK, I'll stop now.

Having said that, someone at work lives in a road which had a street party over the weekend, real community stuff, bouncy castles etc. So there are a few London communities still out there.

Stuart
22nd-August-2005, 04:50 PM
As well no one says "Did you see Eastenders last night?"