PDA

View Full Version : Visiting the Old Country in September/October

Nessa
20th-August-2005, 11:54 AM
Gudday and greetings from an Antipodean lurker in the shadows of your hallowed halls.
(that was just to knock some misconceptions on their head - "Aussies" know big words too :waycool: ...)

Well my ticket to Britain is booked (and duly altered to take in BFG potential plans), my plans are vague, and my excitement levels are soaring cause coming up in less than a month is my first ever trip to the UK. :clap: :clap:

I'm hoping someone here will be willing to give me advice or even practical help regarding what to do for 2 whole days in London - you know - where I go to meet the dancers and have some fun!

Flying in the afternoon of the 14th September, leaving the 16th..... gives me a Wednesday and Thursday night to fill. Oh, and those sunny daytime bits too (I presumably will have to find time for tourist things). But experiencing British Ceroc DEFINITELY a priority.
I'll also have to find a nice cheap place to stay too, so if some of the dancing happened to be near a youth hostel area or something, that wouldn't be a bad thing...... Reciprocal arrangements involving a patch of (your) carpet in London and (my) sofa bed in Sydney also welcome :flower:

In the longer term, I'm in the UK for about 5 weeks, heading up to Dundee and surrounds for a while visiting friends/new friends, and of course hope to get a taste of Wales and Ireland too.
So any tips on places to go, places to avoid, organised tours that are worth what you pay, towns/venues where dancers are friendly..... it's all appreciated and will go into the file I'm trying to compile.

Please help - so far that file contains a LOT of my father's friends :what: and great aunts.........

JoC
20th-August-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi Nessa! Welcome to a bed in Perth if you need one :flower: (one for the file). From here my usual venues are Perth and Dundee, but really nowhere in Scotland is so far that it's not do-able from here. Definitely try to be around for some of the party nights and I've not been to the BFG before but it's gonna be great!

You'll no doubt get lots of recommendations regarding London... all I can offer is that when I went down the other week, I went to Ashtons on the Wednesday (for the first time) and had an absolutely fantastic evening...

Oh, and if I was doing a whirlwind tour of the UK, must see towns/cities... I'd go for Edinburgh and York for starters. In Edinburgh there's heaps to do and see, the bus tours are a great way of having an initial look round and getting your bearings. I could go on.......

I'd also recommend a trip into the Highlands to see some mountains, glens, lochs etc, maybe a spot of walking in the crisp clean air etc. West coast is lovely too... in fact why am I at home, indoors? I'm off out!!!

Good luck!

Tiggerbabe
20th-August-2005, 03:02 PM
heading up to Dundee and surrounds
Whoo Hoo!!!!
Lot's of Ceroc in and around Dundee Nessa, on Monday's we're dancing in the Invercarse Hotel, I'll get back to you about the Wednesday night venue nearer the time (might have changed location by then :D ). Perth on Thursdays in the Salutation Hotel, only 23 miles away.

You can also check out both Aberdeen and Edinburgh (both roughly 60 miles-ish from Dundee). Aberdeen is on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Edinburgh Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

And if you're doing the touristy bit there's Stirling, lots of history :clap: ,on a Tuesday, Golden Lion Hotel.

Glasgow's just that wee bit further on, Tuesday Jumpin' Jaks, Sauchiehall Street and Wednesday, University Union, University Avenue.

Wherever you go, you can be assured of a warm welcome and lots of wonderful dances.

BFG is a must! :hug:

Lynn
20th-August-2005, 03:19 PM
and of course hope to get a taste of Wales and Ireland too. Let me know if your itinary takes in Belfast in the north - we should have regular nights going by then, but even if not, I could arrange a dance evening for when you were here.

Dance Demon
20th-August-2005, 05:02 PM
Glasgow's just that wee bit further on, Tuesday Jumpin' Jaks, Sauchiehall Street and Wednesday, University Union, University Avenue.

Ahem!!!!!!.....and Thursday nights in Rutherglen Town Hall......Poshest Ceroc venue in Scotland.... :wink: :D

Clive Long
20th-August-2005, 06:26 PM
So ....

What are you interested in and definitely not interested in?

What are your constraints in terms of dates you must be at a place or must leave a place?

My suggestions off the top of my head, not knowing the above (and a SE England bias):

Open top bus tour round Central London - you get to see the sites without trudging round

Boat trip along the Thames -either to Greenwich or Kew/ Richmond- different perspective to the bus trip.

Brighton - lots of night-clubs and Mr.McGregor's manor. He'll help you out there with suggestions.

Bath : Interesting place and good free tours given by local historical society

Oxford is beautiful but the colleges merge after a while - dancing in Oxford Town Hall on Wednesday nights with the peerless Viktor.

Birmingham / West Midlands lacks obvious attractions but is surrounded by some of the prettiest countryside around.

Cornwall - a long way (from London :) )- but less so if you are going to Bath as well - quite wild coastline.

Walking: SE England North Kent Weald, South Downs, Greensands Way, Chilterns.
Scotland: West Highland Way, Coastal Areas of North West Scotland - difficult access though without a car or a lift

Manchester: Don't know it but reputedly good night life - Gus' old patch. Paul F too?

Newcastle: Too scary for me :) But I have heard has thumping night-life.

Ireland (Republic of) : Dublin pubs and mad night clubs on Leeson Street (that still happening?), Dingle peninsular and Galway (way, way out West). Take your umbrella.

Only been "through" Belfast, but I heard it's a happening place now the "Troubles" seem to be over :clap: :clap: Lynn's the girl as she has said.

Places to avoid: (others please add your suggestions) Slough, Swindon, Bracknell, Rotherham, Margate, Ramsgate, Felixstowe Container terminal, Lincolnshire.

Clive

Lynn
20th-August-2005, 08:39 PM
Ireland (Republic of) : Dublin pubs and mad night clubs on Leeson Street (that still happening?), Dingle peninsula and Galway (way, way out West). Take your umbrella. Not sure what the club on Leeson Street was but AFAIK there is no MJ in Dublin - there is swing - in Galway as well, I can get contact details. Connemara area of Galway is really beautiful - mountains and beaches. Never been to Dingle myself :blush:

Tiggerbabe
21st-August-2005, 02:01 AM
Ahem!!!!!!.....and Thursday nights in Rutherglen Town Hall......Poshest Ceroc venue in Scotland.... :wink: :D
Oops! My most sincere apologies - it's a fantastic venue *where's that grovel smilie?*

Nessa
21st-August-2005, 04:43 AM
You guys really rock :flower:

Okay, my problem is, too many parts of my plan depend on a man making part of the decisions.

At this stage, am staying in London 2 nights, meeting a Ceroc friend from Sydney "somewhere" to spend the first evening dancing our feet off wherever we can. Staying - I dunno. He keeps saying "Oh it'll work itself out" Second day/night on my own. Looks like that bus tour is starting to appeal, esp if my feet have been danced off :sick:
After which I'm told I'm going to Southport. Again, waiting for a man to tell me how this works. Have decided to come back in my next life as any kind of creature that doesn't let males make relevant decisions.

Then to Dundee - my friend Bee (if anyone has had a peek around the Aussie Forum) has parents in Dundee who are wonderfully offering to put me up and tour me around parts of Scotland and England, I know not how far, yet, but should be able to cover some of those parts of the North that Clive Long says were hard to otherwise access. Kudos to the Booth clan for letting a stranger into their home :rolleyes: :devil: :rofl:

This is the vague I-can-go-anywhere-given-a-reason-to part of the trip. I have plans to see Bath, Brighton, and that wild Cornish coast, and would love to spend a week in Ireland just don't know where. Might join the infamous Paddy Wagon Tours for a few days.
Lynn I would be totally stoked if there was some regular or irregular dance night in Belfast, just tell me when! I think perhaps I won't tell my Mother I'm going there, she's already banned all Tube travel in London (yeah, that's likely!) and she'd be more likely to gratuitously damage me than let me go and be damaged by some foreign loon.....

Back to Clive Long - definitely not intereted in whiskey. Go figure, every commercial tour I've found of Scotland includes at least one distillery. However quite like the historical aspect of it, so I guess I can't class that as a definitely not, can I. But not a big drinker, not a smoker at all, so smokey pubs not high on the list. Unless they are incredible cultural experiences.
Not interested in Soccer. Or rugby (sorry Trampy) Or bungee jumping.
More into the older history, and can't see the point in wasting a day at the British Museum when you guys have ancient history oozing out your.. um... back gardens.

Contraints - spend as little money as possible on travel and gratuitous extras so I don't have to stint on weird and quirky museums, amazing experiences and beautiful mementoes to take home.
I'm also big on last minute plans, there's a great sense of adventure involved!
And in case you hadn't noticed, big on meeting people. My friendships on the Aussie Forum have been the reason for my weeks of interstate travel this past year, and I really hope I can expand that network to include lots of Forumites in the UK (I've been lurking for a while, yes, so I prolly know you guys a bit better than you know me.)

Places to avoid: (others please add your suggestions) Slough, Swindon, Bracknell, Rotherham, Margate, Ramsgate, Felixstowe Container terminal, Lincolnshire.
Um.... Lincolnshire? Why? And... I'm sorry but any place wtih "container terminal" after it's name would have been on my automatic list of hangouts :what: - you trying to totally derail my trip huh???

:flower: Nessa

Clive Long
21st-August-2005, 11:25 AM
<< snip >>
Staying - I dunno. He keeps saying "Oh it'll work itself out"

Ok the following is my opinion - and its probably a reflection of my age - and I would be interested to get real feedback from someone who has come to London without pre-arranged accomodation. My thought may be completely, completely wrong.
After that disclaimer.
I would not come to London without pre-arranged accomodation.
It's not a safety thing - it's a practicality and budget thing. You come to London for only two days. Where does your friend think you find accomodation? London is big and expensive. So .. you run the risk of spending your hard-earned on overpriced scummy rooms in a place that is hard to get to and from. Needing to get around London does constrain where you can stay if you only have two days available. Having said that, there are areas like Lewisham which seem the ends of the earth, but have a regular, reliable train service that taking a 15 minutes train journey will get you to within a two minute walk of Trafalgar Square (that's pretty central).
I have seen at Euston station, and I guess they are at airports, "booths" advertising budget accomodation. Never tried them.

<< snip >>
Um.... Lincolnshire? Why? And... I'm sorry but any place with "container terminal" after it's name would have been on my automatic list of hangouts :what: - you trying to totally derail my trip huh???
:flower: Nessa
I'm sure Lincolnshire has some very nice locations - it is very flat. I know nothing of it really and was just trying to upset someone from Lincolnshire in the hope they would be far enough away to not punch me on the nose.

Childish really.

Clive

Lynn
21st-August-2005, 12:13 PM
Lynn I would be totally stoked if there was some regular or irregular dance night in Belfast, just tell me when! I think perhaps I won't tell my Mother I'm going there, she's already banned all Tube travel in London (yeah, that's likely!) and she'd be more likely to gratuitously damage me than let me go and be damaged by some foreign loon..... Belfast is much safer than London! So you don't need to worry about that. Though the dancing scene is small here, and no-one is terribly experienced (due to lack of teachers, not lack of enthusiasm) but friendly. :flower: Dancing options are either a swing night on Mondays when the music is very suitable for MJ as well, or I can organise an evening. (And I have a spare room).

Or if you don't make it over to Ireland, see you Southport - make sure that guy sorts it out, its a fab weekend and lots of forumites are going! :clap:

TiggsTours
22nd-August-2005, 10:36 AM
Come on! There must be at least one forumite who has a spare room in London for a couple of nights, in return of the promise of one in Sydney! I'd offer, but all I can offer is half my double bed!

Definately I'd agree that you shouldn't come to London without organising a place to stay first, and if nobody can put you up, this place is supposed to be OK, if all you're after is cheap backpacker style accommodation.

http://www.piccadillyhotel.net/

For a little (but not alot) more luxury, try this site:

http://www.travelstay.com/cheap_london_hotels.htm

Do you know what nights you'll be in London? Whereabouts in London you'll be staying? Its a big place (well, not really that big) but it can take hours to get from one side to the other, so as soon as you have those details, it will be much easier for people to give you advice on where to go.

As a rule though, in London you can dance at least 6 nights a week, generally within a half hour drive of you house, an hour tops, its great! :clap: :clap: :clap:

David Bailey
22nd-August-2005, 11:22 AM
Okay, my problem is, too many parts of my plan depend on a man making part of the decisions.
Yes, that's clearly where you're going horribly wrong. Substitute "life" for "plan" and that's pretty much the story of womankind...

Have decided to come back in my next life as any kind of creature that doesn't let males make relevant decisions.
:rofl: Preying Mantis, perhaps?

I would not come to London without pre-arranged accomodation.
If you're time-constricted (and 2 days sounds pretty constricted to me), then :yeah: - you don't want to tramp around carrying luggage looking for a place.

Also, London is Big. Very Big. You may think it's a long way down to the local pharmacy on a Sunday morning, but that's peanuts compared to London.

So "staying in London" is not = "staying somewhere convenient and cheap".

It's boring, but do the research first - it's worth it.

Childish really.
Yeah, carry that on and you'll get no dances from me, mister...

TiggsTours
22nd-August-2005, 11:28 AM
Also, London is Big. Very Big. You may think it's a long way down to the local pharmacy on a Sunday morning, but that's peanuts compared to London.

You ever been to Sydney?

London's not that big, it doesn't take that long to walk around central London, and the suburbs, compared to Sydney's suburbs, really aren't that far apart! But, it is easy to get lost in London, if you don't know where you're going, and even if you do, and it can take easily 2 hours to get across it!

Nessa
23rd-August-2005, 04:49 AM
Come on! There must be at least one forumite who has a spare room in London for a couple of nights, in return of the promise of one in Sydney! I'd offer, but all I can offer is half my double bed!ooooh.... :what: . And I barely know you yet... :flower:
Hmm... so I had a look at your profile - "My real name's Amanda, but most people know me as Tigg. I got that name because I bounce when I'm excited, but not on the dance floor." So... um....... do you tend to bounce in your sleep? :o

Seriously though, all these tips are good.
Where I plan on being in London - not picky. You should have seen the dive they dumped me in my first week in Tokyo. Requirement would be not-too-complex or not-too-expensive transport to the central Touristy Patch. Reasonably simple access to great Ceroc venues and greater Ceroc Forumites.
I'm sure I'll get some more time in London later, but just in case, had better see things like Tower of London etc just in case my mother gives me a quiz :sad:
I'll follow those links when the boss ain't looking over my shoulder TiggsTours - you are a legend! :flower:

TT - Nights in London? Wednesday 14th, Thursday 15th. Am duly tossing up whether it's worth trying to see a real London show while I'm here... or whether that's worth sacrificing for another night's dancing and making new friends.

DavidJames - hey, whaddaya call this?? It's RESEARCH - asking the locals what the good ideas are :rofl:
And as a preying mantis I'd at least have no worries about the size of my thighs :na: I thought Black Widow Spider, but then again I hate spiders and I'd spend my whole existance avoiding mirrors and wanting to throw heavy books at myself. :sick:

If I had more time I'd indulge in wandering, as it is I think Ceroc, one of your open topped bus tours, and a lot of time spent getting lost might take up the two days nicely.

THANKS!!!!!!!!

(ps I was joking about the tofu icecream. Though my flatmate had a tub of low-fat icecream in our malfuntioning freezer for months and it dehydrated. When I tried to melt it down the sink (when she left) it stayed in a big fluffy cream-coloured lump. There was apparently very little ice there at all :really: )

Rhythm King
23rd-August-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi Nessa

Check out the Ceroc London website, but for the centre of town, on Wednesday night you could go to the Jive Bar, in Tavistock Place and Thursday night, try Fulham.

R-K

JoC
23rd-August-2005, 12:31 PM
Yes, that's clearly where you're going horribly wrong. Substitute "life" for "plan" and that's pretty much the story of womankind...
I'm sure there's a pattern emerging here... are you some sort of counsellor for upset ladies in your spare time?

Clive Long
23rd-August-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm sure there's a pattern emerging here... are you some sort of counsellor for upset ladies in your spare time?
Yep.

I upset 'em and he counsels 'em. Great little number we got going. :devil:

CRL

David Bailey
23rd-August-2005, 01:13 PM
I upset 'em and he counsels 'em.
Oops, I thought it was me who upset them? Darn, that's always the problem with these cunning plans...

timbp
23rd-August-2005, 01:18 PM
Everyone, be nice to this girl and send her back capable of dancing -- she owes me lots of dances for agreeing to carry somebody's luggage (Yes, Nessa, I know you found somebody else to carry it, but I didn't claim the dances for carrying luggage, I claimed them for agreeing to carry it).

Guys, be confident in your lead. If you're not sure what to do next, Nessa will take over (but I'm sure that can be an enjoyable experience). It might be a good idea to send her on a long, long walking tour before she goes to dance with you. Even then, she'll probably outdance you, and take the lead the moment you relax.

(sorry Nessa. I don't have any strong ties to the UK but for some reason I still felt the need to warn them [plus you deserve payment for not attending my birthday party].)

Tim

Chef
23rd-August-2005, 01:22 PM
TT - Nights in London? Wednesday 14th, Thursday 15th. Am duly tossing up whether it's worth trying to see a real London show while I'm here... or whether that's worth sacrificing for another night's dancing and making new friends.

Hello Nessa

Check out

http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/

For shows and lots of other stuff in the capital. A number of shows also do afternoon matinee performances. You never know you might find a show that you want to see on one of the afternoons that you are in town. That way you get to dance in the evening as well.

Depending on what sort of dancing you are into you may want to check out

http://www.sadlerswells.com/

Getting around London is pretty easy because you can buy an unlimited pass for the underground system and buses which about £10 per day.

As for Hotels check out.

http://www.hoteldirect.co.uk/london/

You may have already seen it but I am just trying to be helpful here.

I hope your trip goes well.

Laurence.

TiggsTours
23rd-August-2005, 01:28 PM
Everyone, be nice to this girl and........
.......someone offer her a room, please!

Chef
23rd-August-2005, 01:34 PM

I would love to but a) we are an hour away from London centre by train and b) we would be lousy hosts because we are in Antigua when she is here c)one of our houses is already playing host to a stray dancer from Northen Ireland.

But knowing the lovely lot you all are I am sure that a few PMs have been flying about.

Clive Long
23rd-August-2005, 02:27 PM
... rooms have been offered by PM - so you can settle down.

CRL

Nessa
24th-August-2005, 06:14 AM
Everyone, be nice to this girl and send her back capable of dancing -- she owes me lots of dances for agreeing to carry somebody's luggage (Yes, Nessa, I know you found somebody else to carry it, but I didn't claim the dances for carrying luggage, I claimed them for agreeing to carry it).

As I recall, Tim, I asked you to carry the collected SHOES of all the males going to DanceMania in our convoy. :whistle: As such, I believe you deserve what you wish for - and we all know the curse attached to that!

Guys, be confident in your lead. If you're not sure what to do next, Nessa will take over (but I'm sure that can be an enjoyable experience). It might be a good idea to send her on a long, long walking tour before she goes to dance with you. Even then, she'll probably outdance you, and take the lead the moment you relax.
Rat!!

(sorry Nessa. I don't have any strong ties to the UK but for some reason I still felt the need to warn them [plus you deserve payment for not attending my birthday party].)

Tim

HEY!!!
I can't go to your durn party (and you never told me it was your birthday :flower: ) because I'll be driving our UK drifter (/Tramp) to Newcastle that day. It's official business, dammit!!!

Don't see why you have to warn anyone.... *pout* .... was planning on having FUN..... :sad: ruined that nicely haven't you....... :tears:

Besides, was planning on mostly stealing the lead off the other ladies :flower: - men don't follow so well :whistle:

Sheepman
24th-August-2005, 12:16 PM
had better see things like Tower of London etc just in case my mother gives me a quiz :sad: You certainly are trying to pack everything in! The Tower of London, if done to full "quiz" standard, will take most of a day, just about time, in fact, to get back and recover before going out dancing. (A nice way to get to the Tower is the tourist boat trip from Waterloo.) If you just want to have seen things, and learnt a bit about the place, then the bus tour has to be the one.
As you're doing Southport, maybe sacrificing one of your nights dancing in London for the theatre wouldn't be such a bad thing. Though if I was offered a seat in the theatre, or a nights dancing, I'd be asking "can I do the matinee?"
Don't plan anything for the Monday after Southport! If you are capable of anything, then you haven't been doing it right!

Have you had a look at JoC's recent tour, which has loads of dance suggestions for in and around London?

Greg

JoC
24th-August-2005, 12:39 PM
Have you had a look at JoC's recent tour, which has loads of dance suggestions for in and around London?And for sightseeing which I don't think I reported... simply attempt to drive from Kensington to Camberwell which should be relatively straightforward, but if you're me inadvertently takes in Piccadily Circus (sp.?), Trafalgar Square, Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament etc etc etc........

And I just remembered a recommendation I received when I had limited time for sight-seeing, there's a famous food market, the Borough Market I think (?) which I was sent to for a mooch round, go when you're hungry, it'll drive you crazy! I visited the smoothy bar and had a wander along the south bank which has plenty to see, Tate Modern, the London Eye etc, and lots of places for coffees, hot chocolates etc.

Clive Long
24th-August-2005, 01:16 PM
<< snip >>
And I just remembered a recommendation I received when I had limited time for sight-seeing, there's a famous food market, the Borough Market I think (?) which I was sent to for a mooch round, go when you're hungry, it'll drive you crazy! I visited the smoothy bar and had a wander along the south bank which has plenty to see, Tate Modern, the London Eye etc, and lots of places for coffees, hot chocolates etc.
I forgot about Borough Market (http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/aboutus.html) - it's next to / across road (depending on exit) from London Bridge Station. Note the opening times.
I'd extend the walk a bit - start from the Tower &Tower Bridge - past some of the swanky refurbished warehouses (we can all dream) - but walk between the buildings at Pont de La Tour- past GLA offices -going in the direction of JoC's walk to Waterloo.

Another idea is the "Blue Badge" guided walks (http://www.walks.com/) - which can be very entertaining. You are going to spend longer than 2 days in London??

Clive

Lynn
24th-August-2005, 01:21 PM
Another idea is the "Blue Badge" guided walks (http://www.walks.com/) - which can be very entertaining. You are going to spend longer than 2 days in London?? I have a 'blue badge' - for NI though!

Clive Long
24th-August-2005, 01:33 PM
I have a 'blue badge' - for NI though!
:worthy:

Takes work to get one of those.

I'm coming on one of your tours. Let's set a date in Southport. How days to go? (evil laugh)

CRL

Lynn
24th-August-2005, 01:43 PM
:worthy:

Takes work to get one of those.

I'm coming on one of your tours. Let's set a date in Southport. How days to go? (evil laugh)
CRLI felt like doing an evening course one year - several practical exams (walking tour, National Trust property, cathedral and coach tour) as well as written. All very interesting! :clap:

In Southport I sometimes don't even get as far as the beach never mind sightseeing! :rofl:

Actually I did take the newbie NI folk on a guided tour round the site in June when we arrived, but was so excited I kept going too fast (forgetting all my training!) or else saw people I knew and stopped! I wasn't a very good guide that evening!

JoC
4th-September-2005, 06:35 PM
More into the older history, and can't see the point in wasting a day at the British Museum when you guys have ancient history oozing out your.. um... back gardens.Hi Nessa, how's the organising going? Just spotted this bit of your post. Don't know if it'll be feasible because it's not quite on the way from london to Dundee, but I'd recommend visiting Orkney if your interest in older history leaves the bounds of history and creeps into archaeology... You can do a day trip from John O' Groats that takes you round a selection of prehistoric sites, the fascinating Maes Howe - a prehistoric burial chamber (tunnel aligns with the summer (again I wouldn't swear to that) solstice so the interior is illuminated once a year) that was looted by vikings who left runic graffiti, a selection of standing stone circles, and Skara Brae, the neolithic (was it? heck my memory really is going, I used to know all about these places off by heart :blush: ) village that was buried and well preserved by a sand storm that covered the entire village, rediscovered after another storm blew the sand away again. Then you've got ye olde St. Magnus' Cathedral, old as can be! (again forgotten,...12th century is floating about in my mind), Scapa Flow, grave yard to sunken war ships, the Italian Chapel decorated with cans, lots of crafty places, lots and lots of sky and sea.............wonderful place.

Oh to return and be windswept and interesting once more!

Nessa
8th-September-2005, 02:49 AM
Hi Nessa, how's the organising going? Just spotted this bit of your post. Don't know if it'll be feasible because it's not quite on the way from london to Dundee, but I'd recommend visiting Orkney if your interest in older history leaves the bounds of history and creeps into archaeology... You can do a day trip from John O' Groats that takes you round a selection of prehistoric sites, the fascinating Maes Howe - a prehistoric burial chamber (tunnel aligns with the summer (again I wouldn't swear to that) solstice so the interior is illuminated once a year) that was looted by vikings who left runic graffiti, a selection of standing stone circles, and Skara Brae, the neolithic (was it? heck my memory really is going, I used to know all about these places off by heart :blush: ) village that was buried and well preserved by a sand storm that covered the entire village, rediscovered after another storm blew the sand away again. Then you've got ye olde St. Magnus' Cathedral, old as can be! (again forgotten,...12th century is floating about in my mind), Scapa Flow, grave yard to sunken war ships, the Italian Chapel decorated with cans, lots of crafty places, lots and lots of sky and sea.............wonderful place.

Oh to return and be windswept and interesting once more! :flower: Oh you and I are going to get along just fiiiiine!
I've already got a promise for a trip to Skara Brae, and I'm sure other neolithic sites will creep into that.

To be honest up to this point I've been mainly just stressed about preparations, but I'm starting to get caught up in the excitement!

At this point I now have a good idea about hostels in central London (thanks for the links, 8 quid not too bad for a night in Bayswater I think??), even have a tube map all ready in my pickpocket-proof bum bag. Have checked out London dance venues (who would I meet on a Wed/Thurs night at the central London venues, and where??) and am DEFINITELY going to Southport.

Anyone able to give me a lift up? :innocent: :grin:

After which am heading up to Dundee, have my 8-day tour of Ireland all booked (during which I'm sure I'll get to meet and dance with the lovely :flower: Lynn - I have these two free days Sept 29/30 where I could come and visit you in Belfast :D ), and then dancing my way around Scotland until my toes drop off from a combination of exhaustion and cold.

Apart from that - it's wherever the wind takes me!

Nessa
8th-September-2005, 07:08 AM
Wow. And having seen the cost of a train ticket for the 3 hour trip from London to Southport (21 pound where a comparable length trip in Aus would be about 7) - I reiterate - anyone able to give me a lift??? :flower: I'm wonderful company in the car :innocent: and sing - or not - as requested!

Minnie M
8th-September-2005, 07:55 AM
Wow. And having seen the cost of a train ticket for the 3 hour trip from London to Southport (21 pound where a comparable length trip in Aus would be about 7) - I reiterate - anyone able to give me a lift??? :flower: I'm wonderful company in the car :innocent: and sing - or not - as requested!

Is that all... £21 - that's a lot cheaper than petrol - think it cost way over double that in June :eek:

BTW I assume you have a ticket :whistle:

Lynn
8th-September-2005, 08:28 AM
After which am heading up to Dundee, have my 8-day tour of Ireland all booked (during which I'm sure I'll get to meet and dance with the lovely :flower: Lynn - I have these two free days Sept 29/30 where I could come and visit you in Belfast :D ), and then dancing my way around Scotland until my toes drop off from a combination of exhaustion and cold. I'm hoping on having something on 5th Oct (first Wed of the month), unfortunately you'll just miss that. :tears: Hopefully we can meet at Southport and you can tell me more about your Ireland itinary.

Nessa
9th-September-2005, 05:43 AM
Is that all... £21 - that's a lot cheaper than petrol - think it cost way over double that in June :eek: :grin: And why would you drive all that way alone when you could share the car and the petrol costs, eh?!?!

BTW I assume you have a ticket :whistle: I assume I do :D
Nah. That's just plain rude. I do have a ticket, I merely have to sort out how I'm going to pick it up!

Well I am mostly there! I guess all that remains is to ask how many people/Forumites I'd be likely to run into should I go to this "Jive Bar" on Wednesday night?!?!?!?! :flower:

Minnie M
9th-September-2005, 07:51 AM
:grin: And why would you drive all that way alone when you could share the car and the petrol costs, eh?!?!
I didn't I travelled with Jockey and I think the petrol cost was £30 EACH !

found the thread on travel - phewwwww (sp?)

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5559&highlight=petrol

It was £55 in total - sorry :blush:

Summary
Either FILL the car with people (taking into account - luggage and stuff for the chalet :whistle: ) - in most cars that would be 3 max
OR
Public Transport

Nessa
11th-September-2005, 03:17 PM
I didn't I travelled with Jockey and I think the petrol cost was £30 EACH !

found the thread on travel - phewwwww (sp?)

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5559&highlight=petrol

It was £55 in total - sorry :blush:

Summary
Either FILL the car with people (taking into account - luggage and stuff for the chalet :whistle: ) - in most cars that would be 3 max
OR
Public TransportGosh and us Aussies whinge about the cost of petrol over here (has hiked by about 40% over the past month)
Mind you, I'm all for public transport.
But given the relative advantages of semi-private transport - can't see why I'd pay the train operators rather than some nice individual who feels like befriending me (and is at least moderately traceable in case my disemboweled corpse is found at the side of the motorway between London and Southport).

Anyway - all this aside, I'd like to thank you people, and am looking forward to meeting the 68-odd Forumites who will be at Southport this coming weekend. Can't believe it's so close! :clap: :cheers:
Not to mention anyone who may be at the Jive Bar on Wednesday. I'll be the tall Aussie chick who keeps waiting for people to make the correct signals (no, just jokes, we're moving away from signals over here HONESTLY!) and hijacks the lead at the slightest opportunity. And looks badly jetlagged :sad:

See y'all soon!

Gill (Norwich)
11th-September-2005, 03:39 PM
Anyway - all this aside, I'd like to thank you people, and am looking forward to meeting the 68-odd Forumites who will be at Southport this coming weekend. Can't believe it's so close! :clap: :cheers:
See y'all soon!
Who are you calling odd :rofl:

ducasi
8th-October-2005, 11:58 PM
Has anyone bumped into Nessa in this part of the planet yet?

Piglet
9th-October-2005, 12:11 AM
:D Yep:D

ianmate
9th-October-2005, 02:25 AM

Yup. Met her at Southport - yum yum :wink: - and then, like a dum-dum have been too busy to get in touch.

D'oh!

Well, if you're still around Nessa there's a sofa-bed in St Albans with your name on... :cheers:

Northants Girly
9th-October-2005, 02:31 AM
Funny you should say that cos I just met her tonight in Daventry :D

WittyBird
9th-October-2005, 03:28 AM
Funny you should say that cos I just met her tonight in Daventry :D

Snap:D

ducasi
9th-October-2005, 08:30 AM
OK, cool... I was just wondering as I came across this thread last night and wondered why we hadn't heard anything of her wanderings around the country... But I'm told she'll be at the BFG... (Ianmate, it's not too late to book! ;))

Lynn
9th-October-2005, 01:22 PM
I was just wondering as I came across this thread last night and wondered why we hadn't heard anything of her wanderings around the country...Maybe she hasn't had time/places for internet access that much during her travels. I'm sure we will hear all about it when she gets back.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up when you were in Ireland Nessa. :flower:

Tiggerbabe
9th-October-2005, 01:49 PM
OK, cool... I was just wondering as I came across this thread last night and wondered why we hadn't heard anything of her wanderings around the country... But I'm told she'll be at the BFG... (Ianmate, it's not too late to book! ;))
I think Nessa was in London for a very brief stop before she headed up to Southport, where a lot of the forumites met her :D
She was in Dundee for a little while after Southport before heading off to Ireland for a short break.

I saw her in Perth on Thursday night and she was heading down south for the weekend to go to the Daventry Freestyle.

I'm not sure what her plans are after that but I'd guess that she might be in Aberdeen for BTC Bill's leaving party on Saturday 15th October (you don't want to miss that one Ducasi :wink: ) and then hopefully she'll be at the BFG the following weekend.

ducasi
9th-October-2005, 02:31 PM
Cheers Sheena! :hug:

... Aberdeen for BTC Bill's leaving party on Saturday 15th October (you don't want to miss that one Ducasi :wink: ) I'd love to come up to Aberdeen, I'm just trying to work out what my other commitments are this month and see if I can fit them all in. (If I hadn't been ill I'd have been visiting my Mum on her birthday today... So I owe her a visit, but I think all my other weekends are booked up until November! Got any good excuses I can give my Mum? :whistle: )

Tiggerbabe
9th-October-2005, 02:39 PM
Got any good excuses I can give my Mum? :whistle: )
Nope (and I hope you've phoned, sent a card and all that jazz! ) - but then, the party doesn't start until 8pm, so maybe you could get up early and visit her on Saturday morning :D

p.s. See you on Tuesday :D

ducasi
9th-October-2005, 03:02 PM
Nope (and I hope you've phoned, sent a card and all that jazz! ) - but then, the party doesn't start until 8pm, so maybe you could get up early and visit her on Saturday morning :D

p.s. See you on Tuesday :D
Please don't mention "All That Jazz", I'm still getting over the trauma of Wednesday! :eek: (see my comment to my last blog post)

Hope I'm fit for Tuesday! :flower: