PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Legislation

Jayne
19th-August-2005, 10:08 AM
I thought I would let you know that on 5th September 2005 the government's consultation period regarding proposed legislation to curb smoking in closed public spaces and places of work will end.

If you would like to comment on the legislation, the e-mail address you need is smokefreelegislation@dh.gsi.gov.uk.

For more information please look at this BBC summary (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4110706.stm) or this government paper (http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/11/37/20/04113720.pdf).

Many thanks,

J :nice:

philsmove
14th-February-2006, 09:24 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4709258.stm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

thewacko
14th-February-2006, 09:36 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4709258.stm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
LOOKS LIKE THE CEROC PARTY GOT IN THEN

:devil: Lets ban all non smokers from all venues:devil:
:cheers: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers: :grin:

ToeTrampler
14th-February-2006, 09:41 PM
Happens in Scotland next month (March) doesn't it?

thewacko
14th-February-2006, 09:47 PM
Happens in Scotland next month (March) doesn't it?
Thats it then all us smokers will take over Scotland just so we can experience the banning of all non smokers from Scottish venues

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Barry Shnikov
14th-February-2006, 11:43 PM
Thats it then all us smokers will take over Scotland just so we can experience the banning of all non smokers from Scottish venues

It is sad to see the death throes of you dinosaurs...extinction is just around the corner...

Lory
15th-February-2006, 10:20 AM
This is great news :clap:

I love walking to the local pub on a nice bright winters day, all that fresh air in your lungs :grin: looking forward to getting warmed up by the lovely open fire :drool: then reality hits :sick: it's usually a room full of smoke! :sad:

But not anymore!:grin: :cheers:

But what baffles me is

Exceptions

Exceptions include residential premises - oil rigs, halls of residence, adult hospices, long-stay adult residential care homes, psychiatric hospitals, prisons and other "places of detention"

Why should it be allowed in Prison? :confused: Surely their privileges should be cut? Don't the prison officers suffer? Aren't cigarettes are used as a kind of illegal currency 'inside'? :rolleyes:

stewart38
15th-February-2006, 10:39 AM

I love walking to the local pub on a nice bright winters day, all that fresh air in your lungs :grin: looking forward to getting warmed up by the lovely open fire :drool: then reality hits :sick: it's usually a room full of smoke! :sad:

But what baffles me is

Exceptions

Exceptions include residential premises - oil rigs, halls of residence, adult hospices, long-stay adult residential care homes, psychiatric hospitals, prisons and other "places of detention"

Why should it be allowed in Prison? :confused: Surely their privileges should be cut? Don't the prison officers suffer? Aren't cigarettes are used as a kind of illegal currency 'inside'? :rolleyes:

I have mixed emotions on this

Yes to restuarants pubs etc

But working men clubs where 75% could smoke , not sure

somone on LBC (radio) said people should be ban smoking in cars if children in the car, thats scary :sick:

clevedonboy
15th-February-2006, 11:00 AM
But working men clubs where 75% could smoke , not sure

Private members clubs include places like the British Legion & the BAWA in Bristol.

the reason this was rejected is
1 why should staff in those places not have the same rights to protection against 2nd hand smoke?
2 why should such places enjoy a trading advantage (dubious) against other pubs

These types of venue are used for dances, if they had been exempt, smoking could have continued at dances :(

As it stands now from Summer 2007 I'll be able to go anywhere to dance and not have to think about smokers any more - hooray

WittyBird
15th-February-2006, 11:02 AM
I think smoking should be banned in all public places end of.

pjay
15th-February-2006, 11:09 AM
Similar laws in NZ have been in place for a while now, and although I haven't experienced it first hand I've had people comment that what tends to happen is people go outside for a smoke, or places have extend to have outdoor parts where smoking is allowed.

In Australia currently there is no indoor smoke when food is being served, again restaurants have a lot of outdoor space where smoking is allowed... soon there will be a ban in clubs and bars...

Personally I'm not a smoker, and I quite like that this is the way it's going... but for those smokers among us, I say bring on the outdoor dance parties!

Dreadful Scathe
15th-February-2006, 12:11 PM
see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_ban) for info on worldwide legislation - the State of California is about the strictest - you cant smoke inside a building or within 20 feet of one :)

Nice to see Scotland is leading the way in the UK with a sensible idea for a change.

stewart38
15th-February-2006, 12:20 PM
I think smoking should be banned in all public places end of.

Given you smoke in all public places including cars, please expand on this comment :flower:

why are you in favour of being pushed out into the rain :sick:

WittyBird
15th-February-2006, 12:25 PM
Given you smoke in all public places including cars, please expand on this comment :flower:

I hate it. If temptation is taken away then I won't be able to do it, hence I will quit. I have no Will Power whatsoever. End Of.

why are you in favour of being pushed out into the rain :sick:

Story of my life:tears:

Pammy
15th-February-2006, 12:30 PM
It is sad to see the death throes of you dinosaurs...extinction is just around the corner...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Donna
15th-February-2006, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=Lory]This is great news :clap:

Isn't it! :clap:

Have you been to Ireland lately? I walked into a pub in Dublin on my cousins hen night...and couldn't quite figure out what felt so different...and then I thought..'AH HA! NO SMOKE!' I could see clearly and it felt soooo good to breath fresh air!

Dreadful Scathe
15th-February-2006, 01:29 PM

The only public cars I can think of are taxis and they've been non-smoking for years! Unless you mean you offer a free taxi service to anyone who flags you down? :)

stewart38
15th-February-2006, 01:36 PM
The only public cars I can think of are taxis and they've been non-smoking for years! Unless you mean you offer a free taxi service to anyone who flags you down? :)

since when does 'including cars' mean Taxis ?

ChrisA
15th-February-2006, 01:38 PM
somone on LBC (radio) said people should be ban smoking in cars if children in the car, thats scary :sick:
Scary? Hardly. What was far scarier was Nick Ferrari's ridiculous rant that followed the suggestion. The man is a posturing, attention-seeking performer, not a phone-in host.

Given the way we all take the seatbelt laws for granted these days, I think in a few years time we'll feel the same way about the changes to smoking laws.

Dreadful Scathe
15th-February-2006, 01:50 PM
since when does 'including cars' mean Taxis ?

when you choose to include them as an example of 'public' :)

stewart38
15th-February-2006, 01:59 PM
Scary? Hardly. What was far scarier was Nick Ferrari's ridiculous rant that followed the suggestion. The man is a posturing, attention-seeking performer, not a phone-in host.

Given the way we all take the seatbelt laws for granted these days, I think in a few years time we'll feel the same way about the changes to smoking laws.

For those who didnt hear the caller said people shouldnt be allowed to smoke in their cars if children present

The child would probably be 10,000 times more likely to die from the stress of the adult not being able to have a fix (and but thats not what a POLICE STATE IS ABOUT)

Dreadful Scathe
15th-February-2006, 02:04 PM
Making smoking illegal in private cars where children are present is too far if smoking itself is still legal - of course they could make it an illegal class C substance like cannabis - that would work :)

Saying that, theres no law about smoking anything else in others presence, its the thing you smoke that may or may not be illegal.

Conclusion: callers to radio stations are all idiots :)

TheTramp
15th-February-2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah. A far more reasonable thing to ask for when calling into the radio station, would be a complete ban on smoking altogether.

And if you want to do it, you should step outside (the country) to do so :rolleyes:

Donna
15th-February-2006, 02:08 PM

They're not all non-smoking. There is this one guy who UNFORTUNATELY is always the one to pick me and my mum up to go dance class and just when you've made every effort to go out looking good and smelling and feeling fresh...what does he do? Light up!:angry: Then we end up stinking like a couple of ashtrays for the rest of the night. Use another taxi firm you might say? Nope! The others come far too late and they're the only ones who turn up on time. Complain? Nope. He's the boss!

TheTramp
15th-February-2006, 02:09 PM
They're not all non-smoking. There is this one guy who UNFORTUNATELY is always the one to pick me and my mum up to go dance class and just when you've made every effort to go out looking good and smelling and feeling fresh...what does he do? Light up!:angry: Then we end up stinking like an ashtray.

Can't you specify that you want a non-smoker to pick you up when you phone up the company to order a cab? Doesn't seem unreasonable to me...

Donna
15th-February-2006, 02:13 PM
Can't you specify that you want a non-smoker to pick you up when you phone up the company to order a cab? Doesn't seem unreasonable to me...

Well I would, but my Mum doesn't want me to say a word as they will deliberately turn up late (they've done this before) Can't win! :tears:

TheTramp
15th-February-2006, 02:14 PM
Well I would, but my Mum doesn't want me to say a word as they will deliberately turn up late (they've done this before) Can't win! :tears:

So when you book them, order a non-smoking taxi for 30 mins before you want to leave :D

Barry Shnikov
15th-February-2006, 02:20 PM

Buy a scooter...?

Donna
15th-February-2006, 02:22 PM
Buy a scooter...?

:rofl:

Barry Shnikov
15th-February-2006, 02:22 PM

Quick! Give him a job in talk radio!!

...he has? Really?

Barry Shnikov
15th-February-2006, 02:27 PM
If it hadn't been for the incidental fact that cinema operators found that insurance premiums dropped through the floor if they instituted smoking bans, I wouldn't have been to see a first-run film in the last 25 years.

I remember the cinemas of my youth which were so fuggy sometimes it's a wonder you could still see the screen. Once videos became available, I simply wouldn't have bothered going.

But cinemas became non-smoking; because it wasn't legislated for, but simply introduced by cinemas for straightforward commercial reasons, there wasn't a peep from FOREST, et al.

After a few years of non-smoking pubs and restaurants, we'll all have forgotten what all the fuss was about. Quicker perhaps - when was the last time you heard someone fulminating about how 24 hour licensing was going to bring about the end of civilisation as we know it? And yet it was only introduced 10, 12 weeks ago!

stewart38
15th-February-2006, 03:30 PM
They're not all non-smoking. There is this one guy who UNFORTUNATELY is always the one to pick me and my mum up to go dance class and just when you've made every effort to go out looking good and smelling and feeling fresh...what does he do? Light up!:angry: Then we end up stinking like a couple of ashtrays for the rest of the night. Use another taxi firm you might say? Nope! The others come far too late and they're the only ones who turn up on time. Complain? Nope. He's the boss!

why not use another Taxi firm ??(im sure he wouldnt smoke anyway if he thought it bothered you)

Just order it 15 mins earlier then you need. worse scenario you get there a few mins early

Donna
15th-February-2006, 03:33 PM
why not use another Taxi firm ??(im sure he wouldnt smoke anyway if he thought it bothered you)

Well I do the odd cough every now and then. Maybe I should take some drama lessons and learn how to pretend to have an asthma attack!:D

TheTramp
15th-February-2006, 03:34 PM
Well I do the odd cough every now and then. Maybe I should take some drama lessons and learn how to pretend to have an asthma attack!:D

Better still, invite me to come dancing with you, and I'll do it for real :tears:

Donna
15th-February-2006, 04:08 PM
Better still, invite me to come dancing with you, and I'll do it for real :tears:

Aww you poor thing. Do you have it really bad? My brother did, but he doesn't suffer anymore.

Barry Shnikov
16th-February-2006, 12:40 AM
Aww you poor thing. Do you have it really bad? My brother did, but he doesn't suffer anymore.

Blimey, that sounds a bit - um - worrying.

Or is it just that he's in remission from his asthma?

Minnie M
16th-February-2006, 09:12 AM

:yeah:
Great News

however.................. it will not stop smokers smoking (well most of them) therefore you will still have to walk through very very smokey reception areas to go to the loo :sick:

It would be nice if venues (when possible) could provide a 'smoking room' :D

ducasi
16th-February-2006, 09:31 AM
however.................. it will not stop smokers smoking (well most of them) therefore you will still have to walk through very very smokey reception areas to go to the loo :sick:

It would be nice if venues (when possible) could provide a 'smoking room' :D
But smoking will not be allowed anywhere in the building. So unless you have to go outside to go to the loo, you'll have fresh air all the way...

Donna
16th-February-2006, 12:51 PM
Blimey, that sounds a bit - um - worrying.

Or is it just that he's in remission from his asthma?

Nope. All clear! He even tried a cig, and it never played up.

Dreadful Scathe
16th-February-2006, 02:01 PM
They're not all non-smoking.

They are up here, unless Im just lucky. Its quite a few years since i was in a taxi that didnt have no smoking signs in it.

Dreadful Scathe
16th-February-2006, 02:10 PM
which reminds me - does anyone else think its odd that when the smoking ban comes in in a few weeks, businesses MUST put up no smoking signs or be fined up to (i think) £2500. Pubs dont have to put up "no punching or kicking" signs despite THAT also being illegal! ;)

Donna
16th-February-2006, 03:34 PM
They are up here, unless Im just lucky. Its quite a few years since i was in a taxi that didnt have no smoking signs in it.

Funnily enough, there is a no smoking sign in the car...but the driver smokes! :confused:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-February-2006, 05:15 PM
Funnily enough, there is a no smoking sign in the car...but the driver smokes! :confused:
he must be a bit thick then )

thewacko
20th-February-2006, 09:45 PM
ok

I am a smoker, I am not overly proud of it, and have tried to stop quite a few times but not been able to . . . no will power - maybe!

I have smoked since I was 14 and I am now 48 - so that is 34 years, and lets face it Nicotene is a drug that has been legal for longer than I have been alive.

So pardon me for expressing that I want to smoke, and many more like me want to smoke. I do agree that there should be non smoking areas, but at the same time I feel that there should also be smoking areas. It is bad enough that I have to go out in the freezing cold and rain to suffer my habit, but as an addict to the drug, which was brought on by social habits of all the adults I was brought up around, why should I be made to suffer even more.

My lady friend has suffered breast cancer (NOT brought on by smoking) however we have both agreed that we will try our upmost to stop, but please give us a chance!!!!!

I am also aware that stopping smoking can also cause Cancer, due to the change in your body's habits so I have to be extra careful.

I am not trying to say that smoking is right but smokers should also be given "human rights" as are non smokers. If and when I do finally manage to stop I hope that I can remember how hard it is to stop and have a bit of feeling and sympathy for the people who still smoke.

:mad:

Lory
20th-February-2006, 10:29 PM
I am a smoker, I am not overly proud of it, and have tried to stop quite a few times but not been able to . . . no will power - maybe!I'm sorry to hear that you have tried and failed to stop but wouldn't the new legislation help you, by taking temptation away?

So pardon me for expressing that I want to smoke,

My lady friend has suffered breast cancer (NOT brought on by smoking) however we have both agreed that we will try our upmost to stop, but please give us a chance!!!!!
Do you want to stop or not?

I am also aware that stopping smoking can also cause Cancer, due to the change in your body's habits so I have to be extra careful.Is this true? I've never heard of this before :confused:

If and when I do finally manage to stop I hope that I can remember how hard it is to stop and have a bit of feeling and sympathy for the people who still smoke.

I'm lucky enough to never have started in the first place but the evidence is irrefutable that it IS very hard to stop :sick: and i doubt anyone will argue with that but having 2 parents and friends who have all stopped, I know the hardest thing they had to deal with, was going to a pub or nightclub where others were still smoking.:sad:

So, if you really do want to stop, surely this will be the best opportunity for you?:flower: :hug:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-February-2006, 10:42 AM
I have smoked since I was 14 and I am now 48 - so that is 34 years, and lets face it Nicotene is a drug that has been legal for longer than I have been alive.

so has heroin, but thats illegal now :) We could legalise it again so we dont violate the human rights of the addicts I suppose, good point ;)

LMC
21st-February-2006, 11:20 AM
I am not trying to say that smoking is right but smokers should also be given "human rights" as are non smokers. If and when I do finally manage to stop I hope that I can remember how hard it is to stop and have a bit of feeling and sympathy for the people who still smoke.

:mad:
I hoped that too before I stopped. When I did, I realised fully what a horrible smelly nasty habit it is. Even so, I will always be an addict.

Smokers are now in the minority, so if the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, then smokers "rights" are secondary to the rights of non-smokers not to breathe in second-hand smoke.

Alcoholics can avoid drinking alchohol to beat their addiction. How I wish I could avoid other people's nicotine to make it easier to conquer mine.

If you haven't been able to give up yet, then you don't really want to. Simple as that. I know, I've been there, and I got really good at giving up, I did it so often. If you don't want to give up, then don't be defensive or aggressive about the addiction, just considerate towards those who don't share it or want to share it.

stewart38
21st-February-2006, 02:59 PM
I hoped that too before I stopped. When I did, I realised fully what a horrible smelly nasty habit it is. Even so, I will always be an addict.

Smokers are now in the minority, so if the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, then smokers "rights" are secondary to the rights of non-smokers not to breathe in second-hand smoke.

Alcoholics can avoid drinking alchohol to beat their addiction. How I wish I could avoid other people's nicotine to make it easier to conquer mine.

If you haven't been able to give up yet, then you don't really want to. Simple as that. I know, I've been there, and I got really good at giving up, I did it so often. If you don't want to give up, then don't be defensive or aggressive about the addiction, just considerate towards those who don't share it or want to share it.

Comments like this always make me laugh

Simple question does anyone who dies from any addiction from over eating to drinking too much coffee, only die because they 'dont want to really give up' ?

My mum friend smoke 40 cigs a day for 40yrs and 'decided' to 'give up' . No patches no nothing and now hasnt smoked for 3yrs

Is his 'will power' greater then the guy who has multiple cancer caused by smoking, knows smoking is killing and wants to give up and cant ??

Think the issues are a little deeper

In terms of smoking yes ban it in public places

LMC
21st-February-2006, 03:19 PM
Think the issues are a little deeper
Sure they are. But whether additional help/counselling/medication is required is irrelevant - the bottom line is "If you want to give up (whatever, not just smoking), you need to really want to". The problem is getting to the point where you really want to - and everyone's motivations are going to be different. In the meantime, a public ban means that at least you're not affecting everyone else.

Dreadful Scathe
21st-February-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm in Manchester just now - at every tram platform it says NO SMOKING on platforms, and everybody still does.

Donna
21st-February-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm in Manchester just now - at every tram platform it says NO SMOKING on platforms, and everybody still does.

Oh dear! Wacko's right...it's extremely addictive! I've never tried smoking but must admit have been tempted a few times...but then I think of it this way....surely it must be easier to say no to smoking if you have never smoked before rather than say no to it when you are already addicted. THEN i think of the problems it can cause then I don't think anything more about it.

Dreadful Scathe
21st-February-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes, apparantly its quite addictive (http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html) :). I really dont understand even the initial appeal of placing a burning stick in your mouth and breathing in the fumes. I wonder how people even start :confused:.

Donna
21st-February-2006, 06:00 PM
I really dont understand even the initial appeal of placing a burning stick in your mouth and breathing in the fumes.

:rofl: Nah me neither. It's a drug though isn't it, that calms people down. I think the majority of people who smoke are under some kinda stress or suffer depression.

Dreadful Scathe
21st-February-2006, 06:01 PM
:rofl: Nah me neither. It's a drug though isn't it, that calms people down. I think the majority of people who smoke are under some kinda stress or suffer depression.

Theres probably something wrong with their brains :)

Perhaps an 'oh look a burning stick' gene that hasnt gone away from neolithic times :)

stewart38
21st-February-2006, 06:03 PM

People stopped on the london underground , why did they do that ??

Donna
21st-February-2006, 06:04 PM
Theres probably something wrong with their brains :)

Perhaps an 'oh look a burning stick' gene that hasnt gone away from neolithic times :)

:rofl: Their brains are sizzling away. Kills off brain cells as well you know.:what:

pjay
21st-February-2006, 10:28 PM
People stopped on the london underground , why did they do that ??

I think that people are used to the concept of not smoking indoors, so stopping on the underground is probably easy for that reason, whereas I suspect that there are a lot of smokers that believe it's ok on a tram platform, because it's outdoors.

Donna
22nd-February-2006, 01:14 PM
I think that people are used to the concept of not smoking indoors, so stopping on the underground is probably easy for that reason, whereas I suspect that there are a lot of smokers that believe it's ok on a tram platform, because it's outdoors.

Yup. And there is nothing worse than seeing loads of cigerette stubs all over the pavement.:angry: I'm glad I'm not the one who has to clear it all up.

thewacko
24th-February-2006, 09:35 PM
you have all made valid and good points

I am not defending smoking, but as a smoker can only point out that it is bloody hard to give up especially as it is a habit that, beleive it or not is quite pleasurable at times!!!!!!!!

LMC is right when she says that unless you really want to give up you never will, not a statement of weakness JUST a FACT!

Why do we start in the first place?
Well in the neotholic times, ie when I was a lad, not only was Smoking advertised on TV (albeit b/w tv!) it was also more than socially acceptable, and in order to go into a pub under the age of 18 it was thought by us mere teenage neotholites that it actually looked more grown up!

Knowing what I know now I wish I could turn back the clock and never have started, but I did and still do! I do want to give up but need to really want to, I am only on this thread to try and give myself more reason to give up cos I am making such an ass of myself trying to defend smoking when deep down I agree with the majority that smoking should be banned in public places, but I do have to say that some peoples definitions of public places are bl00dy stupid.

:cheers: