PDA

View Full Version : Ask the Oracle

Trousers
18th-August-2005, 08:38 PM
Such a diverse mix or people out there,
such a knowledge base,
Why not use it I thought. . .

Hypothetically speaking, if someone had been previously married but the ceremony had been a Civil affair . . . . as opposed to a church affair (I added that for to pre-empt surplus wit).
Could the afore said person marry again this time at a Church ceremony?

??

Andreas
18th-August-2005, 09:14 PM
Is that to 'confirm' marriage with the first person or hook up with somebody else?

If case 1 then why not? Not that I have such a case in the family as everybody got wed in church. However, my grand parents as well as my parents had a second church ceremony after 60 and 30 years respectively. :flower:

Lynn
19th-August-2005, 12:06 AM
Hypothetically speaking, if someone had been previously married but the ceremony had been a Civil affair . . . . as opposed to a church affair (I added that for to pre-empt surplus wit).
Could the afore said person marry again this time at a Church ceremony? If its reaffirming vows between the same couple, then yes, but that wouldn't be a marriage ceremony - ie no signing of register. (I have friends who wanted to get married in NI but wanted to have the ceremony in Dublin. So civil wedding in Belfast followed by wedding with vows again in Dublin 2 days later, that was the one all the guests were at). If its a divorcee remarrying, then it might depend on the church.

Trousers
19th-August-2005, 12:47 AM
If its reaffirming vows between the same couple, then yes, but that wouldn't be a marriage ceremony - ie no signing of register. (I have friends who wanted to get married in NI but wanted to have the ceremony in Dublin. So civil wedding in Belfast followed by wedding with vows again in Dublin 2 days later, that was the one all the guests were at). If its a divorcee remarrying, then it might depend on the church.

Noooooo.........
In the hypothetical scenario we have here its an new woman. Post divorce.

So is it just down to the individual church then - If they don't mind then it's ok??

Is it that easy? Experience not hypothesis tell me nothing is that easy in life. Although hypothesis can go to hell if it is!

Lou
19th-August-2005, 07:13 AM
Could the afore said person marry again this time at a Church ceremony?
The quick answer? It depends! It very much depends on the type of church (some religions have stronger opinions on the subject than others), and the views of the minister. If the question's not actually hypothetical ;) I'd ask at the local church, if I were you. :)