PDA

View Full Version : Best Costume Ideas For Theme Dance Parties.

Donna
18th-August-2005, 10:27 AM
Anyone know of any costume ideas for theme dance parties or have seen any that really impressed them??? i love theme nights and unfortunately we don't get many of them up here.

So, if you have any crazy ideas on what would be considered a good un' or have been to a good one then post them here!!!

Thanks!! :nice:

TiggsTours
18th-August-2005, 10:38 AM
Anyone know of any costume ideas for theme dance parties or have seen any that really impressed them??? i love theme nights and unfortunately we don't get many of them up here.

So, if you have any crazy ideas on what would be considered a good un' or have been to a good one then post them here!!!

Thanks!! :nice:

Rock Bottoms do the best themes, they always get such a good effort made by everyone. The best ones they've done that I can think of are: Cartoon Characters, Film & TV Characters and the Bollywood was supposed to be excellent too. Pantomime would be a good one too, I think.

Donna
18th-August-2005, 11:40 AM
Rock Bottoms do the best themes, they always get such a good effort made by everyone. The best ones they've done that I can think of are: Cartoon Characters, Film & TV Characters and the Bollywood was supposed to be excellent too. Pantomime would be a good one too, I think.

Cartoon Characters??? That's a good one! Anymore????

Buttons
18th-August-2005, 02:12 PM
My partner and I have been to many fancy dress dances. The ideas I came up with were;

-Space Oddity
-Mickey and Miney mouse (ceroc comp)
-Shirley Temple as a curly haired kid(hollywood legends)
-The Bride of Frankenstien and Lurch (halloween)
-Punch and Judy the theme was beach
-My partner was the strong man and I was Eros. the theme was circus. The statue in Piccidilly Circus is Eros so I made a slim conection.
-My partner went in the knotted hanky(on his head) shorts, white socks, vest, black plimsols and large glasses- I went with large black wig, large home made coconuts as a bra, grass skirt, plastic orchids as anklet and bracelet. We looked pretty cool and the theme was beach.
-school boy and girl
-naughty nurse
-french maid
-Cher
and loads more

I did not say that I am quite a large lady which took the hawian theme to another dimention. :rofl:

I would reccomend making the stuff yourself, get an idea and take it to an extreme.It gives every one a laugh but make sure you don't have far to walk to your car.

LMC
18th-August-2005, 02:19 PM
The problem with some themes is that lazy gits like me can't be bothered with the fancy dress. It's not that I don't want to look silly. It's just that I can quite easily look silly *without* the benefit of a costume, so why should I go to all the effort? I know I said this on the Southport party thread as well

So as broad a theme as possible is recommended. Cartoon characters would say "effort" to me, so I wouldn't bother. Maybe that's just me.

One good idea for a fancy dress party (I can say it's a good idea because I shamelessly pinched it from someone I used to work with, it's not an original) is to go with a letter theme - it's an "S" party (Q or Z is mean!) - people can be as inventive as they like then.

CJ
18th-August-2005, 02:34 PM
I used to DJ theme nights in student bars for years.

Popular nights were:
"Grease" nights (whole length of my hair became a quiff)
Pyjama parties
Romans and Greeks
"One item of clothes only" (which were FAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) (I wore my wife's one piece bathing suit!! :what: She's a size 10 :eek: )
Icons
Bad Taste (I dressed up as my boss, and 2 weeks later didn't get my contract renewed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: )

We have 2 drawers of fancy dress gear which comes in really useful at the most bizarre times!! :innocent: :rolleyes:

Donna
18th-August-2005, 02:37 PM
The problem with some themes is that lazy gits like me can't be bothered with the fancy dress. It's not that I don't want to look silly. It's just that I can quite easily look silly *without* the benefit of a costume, so why should I go to all the effort? I know I said this on the Southport party thread as well

So as broad a theme as possible is recommended. Cartoon characters would say "effort" to me, so I wouldn't bother. Maybe that's just me.

One good idea for a fancy dress party (I can say it's a good idea because I shamelessly pinched it from someone I used to work with, it's not an original) is to go with a letter theme - it's an "S" party (Q or Z is mean!) - people can be as inventive as they like then.

i've got an idea. A fruit party!! However don't expect to be able to dance much in these!! :nice:

Lynn
18th-August-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm going to a 40's theme night soon and still deciding what to wear... but its relatively easy compared to some, I think I need to get the hair right though.

Once I was going to a fancy dress just after getting back from hols so had plenty of time to think, but not much time to do things - so I went as a Chinese restaurant waitress and made up a menu with all the courses being based around friends names, trying to make them appropriate to their personality!

Donna
18th-August-2005, 02:40 PM
I used to DJ theme nights in student bars for years.

Popular nights were:
"Grease" nights (whole length of my hair became a quiff)
Pyjama parties
Romans and Greeks
"One item of clothes only" (which were FAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) (I wore my wife's one piece bathing suit!! :what: She's a size 10 :eek: )

Now Pyjama party sounds fun and I quite like the sound of a Romans and Greeks party too!!

You wore your wife's one piece bathing suit??!! :eek: :sick: :rofl:

What did she think of that??

CJ
18th-August-2005, 02:42 PM
You wore your wife's one piece bathing suit??!! :eek: :sick: :rofl:

What did she think of that??

She now wears bikinis!! :blush:

TiggsTours
18th-August-2005, 02:50 PM
Romans and Greeks

Works in a student bar, but have you ever tried dancing in a toga!?

Again, fine in a student bar, but dancing with alot of the guys you see when they're wearing a size 10 swimming costume! :eek:

We have 2 drawers of fancy dress gear which comes in really useful at the most bizarre times!! :innocent: :rolleyes:

You mean, there are people out there who don't? :innocent: :whistle:

Not at all. There are plenty of people out there who hate fancy dress, or don't have the time, or the money, to put something together, its important to keep it broad. With the cartoon characters one there were plenty of people there who'd only done as much as put a pair of mickey mouse ears on, or a t-shirt, and there's always them pesky kids of scooby doo! But I also think its important to give a theme where those people who really want to go for it can too!

TiggsTours
18th-August-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm going to a 40's theme night soon and still deciding what to wear... but its relatively easy compared to some, I think I need to get the hair right though.

Once I was going to a fancy dress just after getting back from hols so had plenty of time to think, but not much time to do things - so I went as a Chinese restaurant waitress and made up a menu with all the courses being based around friends names, trying to make them appropriate to their personality!

I went to a 40s themed one once, found it really hard, I mean, there's just no cutting corners, and I found it impossible to find something in my wardrobe that fitted the style.

Donna
18th-August-2005, 02:51 PM
She now wears bikinis!! :blush:

Hey what about a bikini's and trunks party. An hawaiian night!!! :clap:

TiggsTours
18th-August-2005, 02:54 PM
Hey what about a bikini's and trunks party. An hawaiian night!!! :clap:
I take it you're a girl who's happy to be seen in public in your bikini then? I'd even hate that on a beach! The worst theme imaginable for an awful lot of girls is always a beach party, the horror of being seen in a bikini!

Lynn
18th-August-2005, 02:55 PM
I went to a 40s themed one once, found it really hard, I mean, there's just no cutting corners, and I found it impossible to find something in my wardrobe that fitted the style.I'm thinking either a flower print pattern dress I have, with my b&ws and little white ankle socks, or wide leg black trousers with a little blouse of some sort (again with the b&ws). But I think I would need combs or something for my hair.

CJ
18th-August-2005, 03:05 PM
I went to a 40s themed one once, found it really hard, I mean, there's just no cutting corners, and I found it impossible to find something in my wardrobe that fitted the style.

For future reference, just ask Franck. His wardrobe is FULL of old tat!! :D

Rachel
18th-August-2005, 03:26 PM

I like these ideas! But I'm a real party pooper when it comes to fancy dress or theme nights and avoid them wherever I can.

Fancy dress usually involves either money to hire a costume or time to make something, and imagination - and I'm sadly lacking in all of these!

I also have no desire to go out in something which I probably can't dance in, will keep falling off, will be too hot ..... All I want to do in an evening is throw on some clothes that I know I can dance in and get out. I just haven't got the time or energy for costumes.

The alphabet theme that NewKid mentions is great, however, cos with that, you can go as far as you want ... or dare!
R.

CJ
18th-August-2005, 03:29 PM
A slight aside...

Is BFG fancy dress this year?
Have we agreed we are going as SOMEONE ELSE'S avatar?

Thank u.

Donna
18th-August-2005, 03:34 PM
I take it you're a girl who's happy to be seen in public in your bikini then? I'd even hate that on a beach! The worst theme imaginable for an awful lot of girls is always a beach party, the horror of being seen in a bikini!

Well first of all...i'd need a spray tan first because I hate being too white. I'd blind everybody!!! :rofl: :waycool:

You don't always have to go in just a bikini you know if you're self conscious in any way. I would put a sarong over my bottom half...but if it fell off...i guess that would be 'so-rong' .(Ha get it...sarong - soo'rong' ahem ok I'll shut it :blush: )

TiggsTours
18th-August-2005, 03:38 PM
Well first of all...i'd need a spray tan first because I hate being too white. I'd blind everybody!!! :rofl: :waycool:

You don't always have to go in just a bikini you know if you're self conscious in any way. I would put a sarong over my bottom half...but if it fell off...i guess that would be 'so-rong' .(Ha get it...sarong - soo'rong' ahem ok I'll shut it :blush: )

Nope, still sounds like a truly horrible idea!

Donna
18th-August-2005, 03:46 PM
Nope, still sounds like a truly horrible idea!

We've only had one beach theme and one woman wore jeans, a sarong and a bikini top? Still wouldn't do that??

TiggsTours
18th-August-2005, 03:48 PM
We've only had one beach theme and one woman wore jeans, a sarong and a bikini top? Still wouldn't do that??
I've never found a bikini that offers the same amount of support to big boobs as a sports bra!

Donna
18th-August-2005, 03:55 PM
I've never found a bikini that offers the same amount of support to big boobs as a sports bra!

Or you could wear a sports bra and see if you can get some designs from somewhere of anything associated with a beach and iron it on. Put some sunnies on of course and beach hair, plenty of bronzer, hula flowers and voila!! :nice:

TiggsTours
18th-August-2005, 04:08 PM
Or you could wear a sports bra and see if you can get some designs from somewhere of anything associated with a beach and iron it on. Put some sunnies on of course and beach hair, plenty of bronzer, hula flowers and voila!! :nice:
You're just going to come up with an answer to all my arguments, aren't you! :D

Donna
18th-August-2005, 04:11 PM

Yep!! :nice: Well this is what the thread is about as trying to come with ideas for theme party costumes- even finding a solution for those who wouldn't feel comfortable with certain ones. Always a way around it. :nice:

CJ
18th-August-2005, 04:11 PM

Don't you just hate these people that are constantly trying to find a solution... :D

Donna
18th-August-2005, 04:13 PM
Don't you just hate these people that are constantly trying to find a solution... :D

sorry just helping :innocent: :sad:

Buttons
18th-August-2005, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=Lynn]I'm going to a 40's theme night soon and still deciding what to wear... but its relatively easy compared to some, I think I need to get the hair right though.

What about a snood (thickish hair net). You put your hair in it pin it to the front of the hair and curl the fringe. :waycool:

Donna
18th-August-2005, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=Lynn]I'm going to a 40's theme night soon and still deciding what to wear... but its relatively easy compared to some, I think I need to get the hair right though.

What about a snood (thickish hair net). You put your hair in it pin it to the front of the hair and curl the fringe. :waycool:

wow...but will it stay put??? Where is this 40's theme???

Buttons
18th-August-2005, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Buttons]

wow...but will it stay put??? Where is this 40's theme???

Yes it will stay in place It is netting and if you pin the edges carefully to the front of your head it won't budge. This idea was designed in the 1940's it kept ladies hair tidy and low maintenance (rations did not allow hair spray etc)

If you type vintage hair styles into your net server you will get a few ideas. Hope this helps. Also if you go to www.buttons-n-bows.biz web page click on patterns page and one of the ladies is wearing one.

Hope this helps

Donna
18th-August-2005, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Donna]

Yes it will stay in place It is netting and if you pin the edges carefully to the front of your head it won't budge. This idea was designed in the 1940's it kept ladies hair tidy and low maintenance (rations did not allow hair spray etc)

If you type vintage hair styles into your net server you will get a few ideas. Hope this helps. Also if you go to www.buttons-n-bows.biz web page click on patterns page and one of the ladies is wearing one.

Hope this helps

oh it's a great help. Thanks buttons!!! :hug:

Buttons
18th-August-2005, 04:54 PM
It is the lady in the flowery dress. The picture is not as clear as it could be bur you will get the idea

Donna
18th-August-2005, 04:57 PM
It is the lady in the flowery dress. The picture is not as clear as it could be bur you will get the idea

just as i imagined.

Lynn
18th-August-2005, 05:09 PM
What about a snood (thickish hair net). You put your hair in it pin it to the front of the hair and curl the fringe. :waycool:Oh yes, I remember that Minnie mentioned that too. Have to think where I would get one (I used to have hair nets from horsy days to wear under riding at shows). I have a fringe, so could curl it under.

The 1940s night is in Belfast. Its a swing night and we are going to have a band and a Lindy demonstration AFAIK. Its a charity fundraiser and part of Belfast week of dance. Thought I would make the effort and dress to the theme.

Buttons
18th-August-2005, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=Lynn]Oh yes, I remember that Minnie mentioned that too. Have to think where I would get one (I used to have hair nets from horsy days to wear under riding at shows). I have a fringe, so could curl it under.

Those nets would be great. I think you can still get them from riding shops

Lynn
18th-August-2005, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=Lynn]Oh yes, I remember that Minnie mentioned that too. Have to think where I would get one (I used to have hair nets from horsy days to wear under riding at shows). I have a fringe, so could curl it under.

Those nets would be great. I think you can still get them from riding shopsI probably have one somewhere if I look hard enough. I also kept my navy coat (with velvet collar and red lining) boots and stick in case I ever wanted to wear them to fancy dress! :wink:

spindr
18th-August-2005, 06:02 PM
Best idea I've seen recently was "Gangsters and Molls"

The guys can generally find a dark suit and hat -- and get the excuse to carry plastic tommyguns, etc. And the girls get a decent chance to go glittery and bring out the feather boas.

Kudos to the five guys who were "caught" and dressed in prison uniforms and in the chain gang :)

SpinDr.

RogerR
18th-August-2005, 09:38 PM
Best theme I've ever partied to is 007 James Bond. So many Bonds, So many bond girls and plenty of others, more or less dressed, according to taste (or lack thereof)

Minnie M
18th-August-2005, 09:48 PM
......-Mickey and Miney mouse
who :what: must be related to Eany or maybe Mo :whistle:

Mickey is ALL mine and NOT Miney's :mad:

Minnie M
18th-August-2005, 10:11 PM
Oh yes, I remember that Minnie mentioned that too. Have to think where I would get one (I used to have hair nets from horsy days to wear under riding at shows). I have a fringe, so could curl it under.

The 1940s night is in Belfast. Its a swing night and we are going to have a band and a Lindy demonstration AFAIK. Its a charity fundraiser and part of Belfast week of dance. Thought I would make the effort and dress to the theme.

When is it Lynn ? I could post one over to you

Much easier than a snood is flower clips, you can buy them everywhere now (Claires & Accessorise have the best) - either comb your hair to one side and add two identical ones to secure - or pile your hair forward so it sits on top of your head and clips the flowers at the back.

Brighton Jive crew at a dance recently - gives you an idea of 40's hairstyles (the middle one - the girl has a black snood AND flowers)

Lory
18th-August-2005, 10:12 PM
Can someone please arrange a 'wear black ONLY' party :flower:

Lynn
18th-August-2005, 11:59 PM
Much easier than a snood is flower clips, you can buy them everywhere now (Claires & Accessorise have the best) - either comb your hair to one side and add two identical ones to secure - or pile your hair forward so it sits on top of your head and clips the flowers at the back.

Brighton Jive crew at a dance recently - gives you an idea of 40's hairstyles (the middle one - the girl has a black snood AND flowers) Thanks! :hug: I'll check out Claire's Accesories when next in town (as cheaper than Accessorize!) and see if they have nice flower clips.

Its on 10th Sep, a whole crowd of dancers will be going (as well as non-dancers) so should be a good night.

spindr
19th-August-2005, 09:31 AM
Some more photos from the GJ 1940s do are at
http://www.gingerjive.co.uk/gallery/1940s-201-1.asp

SpinDr.

David Bailey
19th-August-2005, 09:45 AM
Can someone please arrange a 'wear black ONLY' party :flower:
I dunno, wearing all black is a bit of a radical step for me...

Bearing in mind this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6167), how about a "Princes and Princesses" theme?

Donna
19th-August-2005, 11:45 AM
I dunno, wearing all black is a bit of a radical step for me...

Bearing in mind this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6167), how about a "Princes and Princesses" theme?

Great photos by the way. What about an all in white party then??? :flower:

Purple Sparkler
19th-August-2005, 12:00 PM
The best ones encourage lateral thinking. I still want to have a Tube Map party at some point. You come as a station, it's as simple as that. So you could just wear all green clothes for Turnham Green, or all green clothes and a Dog Collar for Parsons Green, etc, etc...

Donna
19th-August-2005, 03:14 PM
The best ones encourage lateral thinking. I still want to have a Tube Map party at some point. You come as a station, it's as simple as that. So you could just wear all green clothes for Turnham Green, or all green clothes and a Dog Collar for Parsons Green, etc, etc...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anna
22nd-August-2005, 11:20 AM
Dont know if this has already been said but an Arabian Nights theme is always cool..

i just got some new bellydancing gear all the way from Istanbul, i wish someone over here would hold a dance party with that theme!! *hint hint* :whistle:

Donna
22nd-August-2005, 01:47 PM
Dont know if this has already been said but an Arabian Nights theme is always cool..

i just got some new bellydancing gear all the way from Istanbul, i wish someone over here would hold a dance party with that theme!! *hint hint* :whistle:

Bet that gear is lovely!! Send a pic of it on the forum??? Think an Arabian Night theme is the best idea on this thread so far. :clap: Cheers Anna...will mention it to a couple of venues up here!