PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Food

Emma
24th-December-2002, 12:48 PM
What's everyone having for Christmas lunch? :)

TheTramp
24th-December-2002, 12:53 PM
Turkey!! With stuffing, and sausage meat. And lots of nice veggies. Yummy. Can't wait!!

Steve

Dreadful Scathe
24th-December-2002, 12:54 PM
you have Christmas lunch ? weird...
we have Christmas Dinner up here. Its Pork this year was Duck and Pheasant last year. Lovely. :)

TheTramp
24th-December-2002, 12:59 PM
Oh. And homemade Christmas Pudding for dessert. With nice thick custard.

Damn. Started drooling now just thinking about it....

Steve

DavidB
24th-December-2002, 01:07 PM
I'm cooking Osso Bucco. And it will be for dinner - I can't eat much at lunchtime.

Over the last few years I've done Beef Wellington, Salmon en croute, venison, goose & duck. I've only had turkey once in the last 10 years, and that was enough. Pheasant sounds like a good idea for next year...

David

Rachel
24th-December-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Emma
What's everyone having for Christmas lunch? :) Oh, it's difficult ... cheese on toast, I think. Or beans on toast. Possibly honey and toast. Or I may even push the boat out and have a pot noodle.

Can you tell I can't cook!! Unfortunately, neither can Marc ...
Rachel

Rachel
24th-December-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I'm cooking Osso Bucco. What on earth is that?? Are you sure it's edible?

Dreadful Scathe
24th-December-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Rachel

Can you tell I can't cook!! Unfortunately, neither can Marc ...
Rachel

Theres space at the table if you want to come up to Scotland :).

Emma
24th-December-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
you have Christmas lunch ?

Um..lunch, dinner....whatever... :smile: We'll probably eat at some strange time in the afternoon so it's sort of neither.

We're having Pheasant and Partridge, btw. And a minor crisis with the prawn starter, because they look dodgy today so tomorrow they're definitely out of the question! :)

Rachel
24th-December-2002, 01:13 PM

Theres space at the table if you want to come up to Scotland :). Oooh, yes please! I'll bring the wine ...

Oh, and I'm very good at washing up!

Emma
24th-December-2002, 01:14 PM
Pheasant sounds like a good idea for next year...

David

Pheasant is delish, we nearly always have it :nice:

DavidB
24th-December-2002, 01:15 PM
What on earth is that?? Are you sure it's edible?
Osso Bucco is veal shin, sliced about 1.5 inches thick, and cooked in red or white wine, tomatos, garlic, onions & mushrooms for about 2 hours. I think it is an Italian dish.

I got it once from Tescos as a student, because it was reduced to 50p. I didn't read the 2 hours bit until I got home, and then made everyone in the flat very hungry while I cooked it. But it is worth it...

David

Rachel
24th-December-2002, 01:18 PM

Theres space at the table if you want to come up to Scotland :). Um, and, one other thing ... you couldn't make it a kind of, um, vegetarian pork, possibly, could you??

Dreadful Scathe
24th-December-2002, 01:20 PM
Um, and, one other thing ... you couldn't make it a kind of, um, vegetarian pork, possibly, could you??

Why of course - I entertain vegetarians all the time - theres always an alternative. I even have different barbecues for quorn burgers ;)

TheTramp
24th-December-2002, 01:21 PM
You can come down to Cardiff for Boxing Day Rachel. We'll save you some veggies :D

Steve

Rachel
24th-December-2002, 01:22 PM

Why of course - I entertain vegetarians all the time - theres always an alternative. I even have different barbecues for quorn burgers ;) Really? Are you taking the ****? Or genuinely wonderfully hospitable?

Rachel
24th-December-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
You can come down to Cardiff for Boxing Day Rachel. We'll save you some veggies :D

Steve Wow! I have to say thank you for this thread, Emma - that's my Xmas Day and Boxing Day sorted now!

Umm, Steve, just one other thing ... (!!) um, I'm not very good with vegetables ... I know, I know, I'm a terrible vegetarian - don't even like salad mcuh, either. Do you think you could just do me some chocolate pudding or something?

I'll bring the wine - again!

TheTramp
24th-December-2002, 01:29 PM
I'll make you anything you want Rachel. I'll even make sure I've got plenty of toast and pot noodles.

Look forward to seeing you Thursday :D

Steve

Rachel
24th-December-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I'll make you anything you want Rachel. I'll even make sure I've got plenty of toast and pot noodles.

Look forward to seeing you Thursday :D

Steve Oh just chocolate will do fine. Even toast and pot noodles are poor substitutes for chocolate.

I have to say, though, I am well impressed with all the cooks we have on this forum. You're all amazing! Hope you don't spend too much of your time in the kitchen on Christmas day, though!

Have a wonderful time, everyone! I look forward to meeting and dancing with as many of you as possible next year. Happy Christmas! Oh, it's all soooo exciting - only a few more hours to go!!!
Rachel

Dreadful Scathe
24th-December-2002, 01:49 PM
Really? Are you taking the ****? Or genuinely wonderfully hospitable?

Not taking the ****- have used seperate bbqs for veggies in the past - its only fair . At my house warming party I wasnt cooking much so had half meat half veg sides of the bbq and different tongs - grill was well cleaned before starting:) Ive got a friend whos vegan - I must admit I find that a little extreme but each to his own :).

Rachel
24th-December-2002, 01:55 PM

Not taking the ****- have used seperate bbqs for veggies in the past - its only fair . At my house warming party I wasnt cooking much so had half meat half veg sides of the bbq and different tongs - grill was well cleaned before starting:) Ive got a friend whos vegan - I must admit I find that a little extreme but each to his own :). Ahhh, you're a star! Honestly! Seriously, I hope we do manage to meet sometime ...

I'm not too fussy, really, I just don't like eating meat, but I'd certainly never be against anyone else eating it. Marc can't go a single mealtime without meat. And I've even - [i]never[/ii] thought I'd ever say this - learnt to cook bacon for Marc. God ... it must be love!!
Rachel

DavidB
24th-December-2002, 01:59 PM
you couldn't make it a kind of, um, vegetarianI only have one vegetarian dish - whole baked brie wrapped in filo pastry. Very nice, very filling, and very fattening. So should be ideal for Christmas.

David

Dreadful Scathe
24th-December-2002, 02:02 PM
yum had brie cake type things as a main meal before - lovely :)

Sandy
24th-December-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Emma
What's everyone having for Christmas lunch? :)

Hi

Beouf en croute with smiley happy family. Followed by trifle followed by 5 happy people and 1 grumpy. Cake followed by 3 happy 3 grumpy. drinkies followed by 1 happy 5 grumpy. More drinks followed by all out war! Waltons! forget it!

However I do love Xmas and it is a family time and it also makes me fish out that favourite video - "Shirley Valentine"!

Merry Xmas one and all and see you in the New Year:wink:

Sandy

PS I really do love Xmas:grin:

Emma
24th-December-2002, 02:49 PM
whole baked brie wrapped in filo pastry

yum yum yum..you could have some sort of cranberry sauce with that too..cranberry and orange, perhaps - nice and sharp to offset the richness of the cheese :grin:

Rachel
24th-December-2002, 03:22 PM
I only have one vegetarian dish - whole baked brie wrapped in filo pastry. Very nice, very filling, and very fattening. So should be ideal for Christmas.

David Sounds absolutely gorgeous!

... don't fancy any visitors on 27th, do you?
R.

TheTramp
24th-December-2002, 10:47 PM
What time should we come round then David?? The cranberry and orange sauce sounds great too. Is Emma bringing that??

Steve