PDA

View Full Version : So wadda ya do then?

DianaS
17th-August-2005, 01:14 PM
when a guy is dancing and leading you all over the place?
I had a coupla dances last night that were really challenging. The guys were leading in a rather exaggerated fashion which if I followed hurled me a round like a boom-arang. (Have i upset some one I wonder :really: )
One guy I actually started to controll so that he could only reach the reasonable end to a move and couldn't hurl me out and defined where I thought the end point should be. (Yes I know you shouldn't do it...)
Another I just closed my eyes with and let him have his wicked way...
So this is a PUBLiC poll and you can choose more than one response (most of them I do!)

Donna
17th-August-2005, 02:44 PM
I had a coupla dances last night that were really challenging. The guys were leading in a rather exaggerated fashion which if I followed hurled me a round like a boom-arang. (Have i upset some one I wonder :really: )
One guy I actually started to controll so that he could only reach the reasonable end to a move and couldn't hurl me out and defined where I thought the end point should be. (Yes I know you shouldn't do it...)
So this is a PUBLiC poll and you can choose more than one response (most of them I do!)

Another one you could have added to this poll was 'walk off the dancefloor>' :D

El Salsero Gringo
17th-August-2005, 04:13 PM
I don't know about guys 'out of control' but I've danced with plenty of ladies that pretend they're the only people on the dance floor, zoom around, kick people, spin into others and so on. What should I do then?

DianaS
17th-August-2005, 04:24 PM
I don't know about guys 'out of control' but I've danced with plenty of ladies that pretend they're the only people on the dance floor, zoom around, kick people, spin into others and so on. What should I do then?
guys that I like dancing with move me in close if I'm getting too wilde and chastise me gently
Its the only thing that works :devil:

El Salsero Gringo
17th-August-2005, 04:38 PM
...chastise me gently
Its the only thing that works :devil:with you, Diana, I suspect I might have difficulty knowing where to draw the line...

Donna
17th-August-2005, 04:43 PM

I've danced with men like that as well. Blummin well annoying.

DianaS
17th-August-2005, 04:53 PM
with you, Diana, I suspect I might have difficulty knowing where to draw the line...
well lets cross it then..Ashtons? Friday?? There'll be a crowd! :whistle:
And I've promised to share my best dances with Angelique
Can you handle two women?

El Salsero Gringo
17th-August-2005, 05:01 PM
well lets cross it then..Ashtons? Friday?? There'll be a crowd! :whistle:
And I've promised to share my best dances with Angelique
Can you handle two women?You're on - but of course I can't give either of you the attention that you deserve together, so I'll have you one after the other, if I may. Don't panic though, I think I have enough stamina for the both of you.

"I'll have you at 10, you at 10:15, and you at 10:30 - bring a friend..."

LMC
17th-August-2005, 05:04 PM
Me, me, pick me...

Oh, the poll - well, it depends on how dangerous the behaviour is - I'd never take over the lead, but could/might do anything between "pray" and "walk off"... how goodlooking the guy was could also be a factor... :whistle: :innocent:

DianaS
17th-August-2005, 05:16 PM
You're on - but of course I can't give either of you the attention that you deserve together, so I'll have you one after the other, if I may. Don't panic though, I think I have enough stamina for the both of you.

You're so on!
Angelique bring your riding boots![COLOR=Red]

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
17th-August-2005, 05:20 PM
Yes, I've had a couple of dances like this before, but hasn't everyone? I think it's one of those things where you don't think about it until it is over, and then think why did I put myself through that? I supposse it's the easy approach, 'if I just put up with it until the end of the song I can avoid him from now on, it'll all be over in a minute' Or am I just being too dramatic? :confused: :whistle:

Andreas
17th-August-2005, 08:42 PM

Have we met? :whistle: :innocent: :rofl:

Andreas
17th-August-2005, 08:43 PM
You're on - but of course I can't give either of you the attention that you deserve together, so I'll have you one after the other, if I may. Don't panic though, I think I have enough stamina for the both of you.

:rofl: :worthy: :rofl:

DianaS
18th-August-2005, 09:22 AM
Have we met? :whistle: :innocent: :rofl:
no, but are we going to? :devil:
Southport, Ashtons???...

Andreas
18th-August-2005, 09:53 AM
no, but are we going to? :devil:
Southport, Ashtons???...

Southport: unlikely

Ashton's: Scream out, I'll be there :wink:

Donna
18th-August-2005, 10:06 AM
Me, me, pick me...

Oh, the poll - well, it depends on how dangerous the behaviour is - I'd never take over the lead, but could/might do anything between "pray" and "walk off"... how goodlooking the guy was could also be a factor... :whistle: :innocent:

:yeah: :rofl:

You know if the first part of this thread was deleted...people would be wondering what's going on between ESG and Diana!!

Purple Sparkler
18th-August-2005, 10:47 AM
For me it all depends on what move the guy's leading me into. If the moves are the usual stuff, and I crash into people, I always shout an apology to them, and find from having others crash into me that the crashee can always tell whose fault it was, so they won't blame me (I hope).

If, however, the leader attempts something dangerous- like the jumping jack on HMS President which I have mentioned on another thread (that's a METAL ceiling and it's VERY LOW), or a drop when I don't trust the person to be able to catch me, then I resist and backlead out of it as hard as I can, because frankly I have no desire to be sent crashing into the ceiling, or into the floor, when I can avoid it.

Donna
18th-August-2005, 11:00 AM
If, however, the leader attempts something dangerous- like the jumping jack on HMS President which I have mentioned on another thread (that's a METAL ceiling and it's VERY LOW), or a drop when I don't trust the person to be able to catch me, then I resist and backlead out of it as hard as I can, because frankly I have no desire to be sent crashing into the ceiling, or into the floor, when I can avoid it.

At the end of the day it's all down to the male using a bit of common sense on a crowded floor. I think it would be quite difficult for a woman to back out of such moves also be very careful otherwise it means you could still get hurt.

El Salsero Gringo
18th-August-2005, 11:03 AM
:yeah: :rofl:

You know if the first part of this thread was deleted...people would be wondering what's going on between ESG and Diana!!Just remember, Diana: Never complain, never apologise.

Purple Sparkler
18th-August-2005, 11:23 AM
At the end of the day it's all down to the male using a bit of common sense on a crowded floor. I think it would be quite difficult for a woman to back out of such moves also be very careful otherwise it means you could still get hurt.

Anyone who's been to Hammersmith or Fulham and seen the people blithely doing aerials in the middle of the floor will know that partners do NOT always use their common sense. Sometimes sabotage, or outright pushing in the opposite direction to where they want you to go, as hard as you can, is the only way to prevent an accident.

Once having hit one of the ISH demos in the back of the head with my foot, because my partner put me in a lift, I swore that would never happen again, hence the backleading.
And ANY good teacher will tell you, as a woman, how to avoid going into a particular move if you don't want to.

If they've got the correct handhold (which sadly the ones who cause these problems don't always have), then it's easy enough to break off from them.

Donna
18th-August-2005, 11:46 AM
Once having hit one of the ISH demos in the back of the head with my foot, because my partner put me in a lift, I swore that would never happen again, hence the backleading.
And ANY good teacher will tell you, as a woman, how to avoid going into a particular move if you don't want to. If they've got the correct handhold (which sadly the ones who cause these problems don't always have), then it's easy enough to break off from them.

I think it depends on what move they do as they're not all very easy for a woman to get out of. The teacher should always point it out as well when teaching a move that's rather risky. Then again, like you said, it does depend on the hand hold. The guy I was dancing with had a very tight grip and I didn't stand a chance. He's a masseur as well you know!! So I got him to massage it for me after. :D