PDA

View Full Version : Drinking water

stewart38
17th-August-2005, 12:34 PM
Ok

I drank a bottle of water at Chesham once and once on recent dance holiday

Point is I dont like drinking water period ! It taste totally bland and basically tastes like er water

Give me fizzy soft drinks anytime or even soft drinks with a 'tatse'

I know water is meant to be good for etc

Drinking lots of water certainly doesnt improve your complextion I know that for sure !

So why do people keep raving about water , you got to drink 35 pints a day etc etc !

ps I dont think i have rabbies but I generally dont like 'water' apart from swimming in it and washing in it, am I alone ? :sad:

El Salsero Gringo
17th-August-2005, 12:40 PM
You don't have to drink pure water. You can put stuff in it, like teas, fruit cordial, or whatever. In any case, your total liquid intake includes a considerable amount in food. Fruit and veg is mainly water for instance.

Basically, if you don't like (just) water, don't drink it.

Andy McGregor
17th-August-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure water tastes at all. I think you are tasting the impurities in it. Mineral water contains minerals, Coca Cola is water containing secret ingredients (which are listed on the can :confused: ). Maybe we like water with a taste and some of us have different tastes.

Me? I like mine rough and salty, bursting over the bow of a yacht at the front of the fleet.

stewart38
17th-August-2005, 12:47 PM

I dont but point is people keep saying I should drink it as if its going to keep me alive for an extra 10 years :sad:

At chesham they have even got rid of the flavoured or fizzy water and replaced it all with just water :angry: (Drink machines)

under par
17th-August-2005, 01:02 PM
You don't have to drink pure water. You can put stuff in it, like teas, fruit cordial, or whatever. In any case, your total liquid intake includes a considerable amount in food. Fruit and veg is mainly water for instance.

Exactly , put something in it like an ice cube or something to take the flavour of water away.

Lynn
17th-August-2005, 01:48 PM
I like drinking water, its what I prefer especially with food and what I drink at home. I carry a bottle of water with me everywhere. The tap water where I live is fine to drink so I don't buy bottled water very often, I carry tap water.

And occasionally I still think its great that we can turn on the tap and have clean drinking water available instantly, when so many in the world have not got this luxury. :sad:

Cruella
17th-August-2005, 02:13 PM
Ok

I drank a bottle of water at Chesham once and once on recent dance holiday

Point is I dont like drinking water period ! It taste totally bland and basically tastes like er water

Give me fizzy soft drinks anytime or even soft drinks with a 'tatse'

I know water is meant to be good for etc

Drinking lots of water certainly doesnt improve your complextion I know that for sure !

So why do people keep raving about water , you got to drink 35 pints a day etc etc !

ps I dont think i have rabbies but I generally dont like 'water' apart from swimming in it and washing in it, am I alone ? :sad:

Up to about 5 years ago i was like you, couldn't stand drinking water. I started putting slices of lemon in it and enjoyed it more, now i drink nothing other than water (apart from the odd Southern Comfort of course). I found i really don't like the taste of fizzy drinks and cordials anymore. I guess you can train your tastes to change. Like cutting out sugar in your tea, once you get used to it, you really don't like the taste if someone accidently sugars it for you. Your body is made up of something like 70 - 80 % water (i'm sure someone will give the exact figure) you just need to make sure you keep it hydrated. I guess that if you drink just water it saves your body having to rid itself of the sugar, chemicals and other crap in manufactured drinks.

Lee
17th-August-2005, 02:17 PM
I saw the heading of this thread and thought, great!! a discussion about drinking water being given free at Ceroc venues.......but no. :(

There is a different thread in Chit Chat - likes & dislikes you could join on this.

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6163

So......who thinks all Ceroc venues should provide free water???

Or who thinks Taxi dancers should get it free in venues where dancers have to pay for it?

LEE

stewart38
17th-August-2005, 02:25 PM
I saw the heading of this thread and thought, great!! a discussion about drinking water being given free at Ceroc venues.......but no. :(

There is a different thread in Chit Chat - likes & dislikes you could join on this.

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6163

So......who thinks all Ceroc venues should provide free water???

Or who thinks Taxi dancers should get it free in venues where dancers have to pay for it?

LEE

The free tap water has been discussed for ever on other threads, id make everyone pay £5 a pint (Im at work and should be outside its too nice to stay in :mad: )

should Taxi dancers get in free if I take up drinking water ?? tough one id say no :mad:

ducasi
17th-August-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm not a big fan of water... but once you get rid of sugary drinks that rot your teeth, artificially-sweetened drinks that taste foul, sticky drinks, and alcoholic drinks, there's not much left...

To improve the taste of water it is best served just above freezing point. (IMHO)

Lynn
17th-August-2005, 02:36 PM
To improve the taste of water it is best served just above freezing point. (IMHO) Though I have heard somewhere that its not good to drink very chilled drinks? I think it slows your metabolism? (Could be talking rubbish, but I'm sure I heard that somewhere...)

Clive Long
17th-August-2005, 02:37 PM
<<snip>>
In any case, your total liquid intake includes a considerable amount in food. Fruit and veg is mainly water for instance.
<< snip >>
As always, another informative piece of info from ESG (damn his eyes :wink: )

Anyway, although the machine is a faff to clean-up after, ever thought of preparing your own fruit juice? In preference to buying the generally sugarred and preserved cack on sale.

Lots of water (per ESG) but also lots of "good things" (vitamins, etc. etc.) - even carrots and celery taste great (I kid you not). Fruit juice tends to suppress my appetite and makes me want to drink less alcohol (the pain, the memories)

So a quadruple whammy: Easy water intake,a delicious drink, lots of "good stuff" and a suppressed appetite for food and alcohol.

Clive

Cruella
17th-August-2005, 02:44 PM
Though I have heard somewhere that its not good to drink very chilled drinks? I think it slows your metabolism? (Could be talking rubbish, but I'm sure I heard that somewhere...)
This is true, the best way for you to have water is luke warm apparently. Personally i prefer it cold but not so cold it hurts my sensitive teeth. Oooowww

Mary
17th-August-2005, 02:44 PM
If I'm not drinking the kind of water that has been mixed with fermented fruit (like grapes), and a dose of yeast, then plain soda water with a slice of lemon goes down quite nicely and is very refreshing.

Hate the sugary flavoured fizzy drink - and they make you thirsty!!

Nah, I like the grapey, yeasty, tannin kind. Although I sometimes find that too much affects my balance a bit. :wink:

M

David Bailey
17th-August-2005, 02:58 PM
This is true, the best way for you to have water is luke warm apparently.
Wow - so Ashtons bar staff are actually doing the right thing then? :whistle:

Stuart
17th-August-2005, 04:41 PM
Though I have heard somewhere that its not good to drink very chilled drinks? I think it slows your metabolism? (Could be talking rubbish, but I'm sure I heard that somewhere...)

I read that drinking very cold water actually burns more calories because the body has heat it to absorb it!

Lee
17th-August-2005, 04:44 PM
I read that drinking very cold water actually burns more calories because the body has heat it to absorb it!

Water :drool:

If it's too cold it hurts my teeth!! :tears: I prefer room temperature!

Lynn
17th-August-2005, 05:02 PM
I read that drinking very cold water actually burns more calories because the body has heat it to absorb it! Well I did say I could be totally wrong about it :blush: I just read/heard somewhere that really chilled drinks weren't good. I do prefer chilled water myself.

ToeTrampler
17th-August-2005, 06:18 PM
Well I did say I could be totally wrong about it :blush: I just read/heard somewhere that really chilled drinks weren't good. I do prefer chilled water myself.

You are right that chilled drinks aren't as good for you; chilled water is not absorbed by the body as easily as water at room temp and therefore chilled water is not as effective at hydrating as room temp water is. So although it may appear that chilled drinks are better thirst quenchers - they actually are not.

Surely a more effiective way of burning more calories is just to carry a bigger bottle! You get a win:win situation then :wink: