PDA

View Full Version : where were people 28yrs ago today

stewart38
16th-August-2005, 10:24 AM
I was at home as a young kid when 'the king' of rock and roll died

Cant believe Elvis died 16th August 1977 and worse I remember the day he died :sad:

Aleks
16th-August-2005, 10:28 AM
I was probably playing in the paddling pool on West Park in Long Eaton with my friends. All the mums would be sewing/knitting and chatting. I was 4 years old.

Chicklet
16th-August-2005, 10:28 AM
In a paddling pool in Bahrain.

RIP the King :drool:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
16th-August-2005, 10:35 AM
I was a twinkle in my daddy's eye :innocent: :whistle: But I still love Elvis, have done since I was 12-he rocks!

Andy McGregor
16th-August-2005, 11:09 AM
I heard it on the radio while I was working at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine helping in their search far a vaccine against schistosomiasis. I remember that someone had painted "Elvis is King" on a railway bridge in North Harrow. Those words were there for years even though you could see the bridge from the Council buildings.

My dad was an Elvis fan so his music is a major feature in the soud track to my life*.

p.s. He is still the King :worthy:

*Which has got me thinking, here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141925#post141925).

Purple Sparkler
16th-August-2005, 11:16 AM
Waiting with all the other unborn children for the big black ships to take me away to be born, if you know your Maeterlinck.

ducasi
16th-August-2005, 11:32 AM
I remember hearing the news. I had just got up for another lazy day during the holidays, and I came through to find my Mum reading the newspaper. She told me.

Still makes me sad when I think about it. It was a real tragedy. :tears:

drathzel
16th-August-2005, 12:04 PM
I was unborn also, however i have been brought up listening to elvis and i remember the day mum told me he had died years before. I was heart broken! I was appeased by a new elvis tape tho! (Mother and blackmail. :rolleyes: )

stewart38
16th-August-2005, 12:26 PM
I heard it on the radio while I was working at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine helping in their search far a vaccine against schistosomiasis. I remember that someone had painted "Elvis is King" on a railway bridge in North Harrow. Those words were there for years even though you could see the bridge from the Council buildings.

My dad was an Elvis fan so his music is a major feature in the soud track to my life*.

p.s. He is still the King :worthy:

*Which has got me thinking, here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141925#post141925).

Cleary very recent for Andy, share with us your thoughts /what you were doing when Winston Churchill died in 1965 (Jan)

I remember hearing the news. I had just got up for another lazy day during the holidays, and I came through to find my Mum reading the newspaper. She told me.

Still makes me sad when I think about it. It was a real tragedy. :tears:

That would have been on the 17th, he died late evening of 16th (BST time)

Andy McGregor
16th-August-2005, 01:08 PM
Cleary very recent for Andy, share with us your thoughts /what you were doing when Winston Churchill died in 1965 (Jan)At last, something where I can claim I was at school. I do remember this. But not very well. There were loads of things on TV about Winston Churchill but it didn't mean very much to me as I was only 8.

RachD
16th-August-2005, 01:10 PM

Cant believe Elvis died 16th August 1977 and worse I remember the day he died :sad:

I was but 10 months old. And in those 28 years I've not once taken a liking to his music...? I remember where I was the day Freddie Mercury died. I was at Guide camp listening to the radio on my walkman... That hit me with quite a shock. :sad:

Lounge Lizard
16th-August-2005, 01:15 PM
When it was announced I was digging a hole on a building site, it was such a sad moment, He had 'Way Down' on release at the time so was rocking till the end

we have an Elvis special planned tonight.

An even bigger shock was when they announced John Lennon's death, that for me was even sadder than Elvis
Peter

Andy McGregor
16th-August-2005, 01:20 PM
An even bigger shock was when they announced John Lennon's death, that for me was even sadder than Elvis
PeterI think we were more shocked about Lennon because it was murder.

That and the fact that Elvis is not actually dead :wink:

stewart38
16th-August-2005, 02:41 PM
When it was announced I was digging a hole on a building site, it was such a sad moment, He had 'Way Down' on release at the time so was rocking till the end

we have an Elvis special planned tonight.

Peter

Diana was the biggest shock for me :tears:

Purple Sparkler
16th-August-2005, 02:46 PM
Diana was the biggest shock for me :tears:

I'm not going to get into THAT debate, except to say that I was a lot sadder about the death of Mother Teresa later that week. Especially as it was pretty much ignored in terms of media coverage.

stewart38
16th-August-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm not going to get into THAT debate, except to say that I was a lot sadder about the death of Mother Teresa later that week. Especially as it was pretty much ignored in terms of media coverage.

Oh lets :grin:

Mother Teresa was old and walked slowly

Diana was young and had two young children and looked much better in magazines

David Bailey
16th-August-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm not going to get into THAT debate,
Well I will then :)

except to say that I was a lot sadder about the death of Mother Teresa later that week. Especially as it was pretty much ignored in terms of media coverage.
Hell, I was sadder about the death of Jeffrey Bernard than Princess Diana.

Gee, spoilt celeb ex-royal killed in car crash, lets all go into deep depression. And, I said all that at the time. Royals, grrrrr...

Andy McGregor
16th-August-2005, 02:56 PM
Diana was the biggest shock for me :tears:I was far more shocked and upset than you can imagine about Diana :tears:

I'm not even sure why it upset me so much. I was putting out flowers in Kensington Palace with the family that night when the BBC tried to interview me about why I was there - I couldn't even speak I was so moved :tears:

Andy McGregor
16th-August-2005, 02:57 PM
Gee, spoilt celeb ex-royal killed in car crash, lets all go into deep depression. And, I said all that at the time. Royals, grrrrr...Like David, I never had a good thing to say about Diana while she was alive. Which makes my reaction when she died even more a mystery to me :confused:

Purple Sparkler
16th-August-2005, 03:06 PM
Oh lets :grin:

Get out the popcorn, girls and guys, this could be a long one...

Mother Teresa was old and walked slowly

Mother Teresa had devoted her entire life to helping the poor and needy. She was someone who really managed to shine as a light in the world. She lived for others and was generally an inspiration. This oft-quoted piece is by her:

People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered...
forgive them anyway

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives...
be kind anyway

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies...
succeed anyway

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you...
be honest and frank anyway

What you may spend years building, someone may destroy overnight...
build anyway

If you find serenity and happiness, people may be jealous...
be happy anyway

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow...
do good anyway

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough...
give the world the best you have anyway

You see, in the final analysis, it's all between you and God...
it was never between you and them anyway

Diana was young and had two young children and looked much better in magazines

Whatever I think of Diana (and I was never her biggest fan, though I did feel sorry for her over Charles and Camilla) I felt sorry for William and Harry- but no sorrier than I would feel for any children whose mother had died when they were so young.

When the vicar at my church got complaints because on the day she died, he prayed not specifically for her, but for 'anyone who has lost a friend or loved one in a car accident', that was when I really started to get angry.

Damien
16th-August-2005, 04:18 PM

I feel really old reading this - I was at the peak of my youth(18) and was returning from a night at a local night club called the Valley Lodge near Manchester Airport, discoing the night away to greats such as the the Real Thing, Van McCoy and Abba. Called in at a late night take away to be given the news. Was so shocked. I was raised on Elvis. This could be another thread but how come we don't produce any more greats like Elvis or the Beatles. Don't anyone dare say Robbie Williams or I will laugh myself silly.

ducasi
16th-August-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm not going to get into THAT debate, except to say that I was a lot sadder about the death of Mother Teresa later that week. Especially as it was pretty much ignored in terms of media coverage. I had a premonition about the death of Diana. I woke up early on that Sunday morning just knowing that something really bad had happened, and quickly turned on my television to CNN. I was both shocked and seriously spooked.

Still gets to me now. :tears:

Mother Teresa was a very caring woman, but it was her time to die. No-one could say the same about Diana.

Donna
16th-August-2005, 04:55 PM
I had a premonition about the death of Diana. I woke up early on that Sunday morning just knowing that something really bad had happened, and quickly turned on my television to CNN. I was both shocked and seriously spooked.

Still gets to me now. :tears:

Mother Teresa was a very caring woman, but it was her time to die. No-one could say the same about Diana.

That is creepy!!! You psychic or something or do you think this was a coincidence??

LMC
16th-August-2005, 05:00 PM
Pssssssssst.... DavidJames - over here, over here....

*passes popcorn*

Andy McGregor
16th-August-2005, 05:03 PM
I feel really old reading this - I was at the peak of my youth(18) and was returning from a night at a local night club called the Valley Lodge near Manchester Airport, discoing the night away to greats such as the the Real Thing, Van McCoy and Abba. Called in at a late night take away to be given the news. Was so shocked. I was raised on Elvis. This could be another thread but how come we don't produce any more greats like Elvis or the Beatles. Don't anyone dare say Robbie Williams or I will laugh myself silly.Every generation has its great artists - as judged by that generation. Our generation had the Beatles and Elvis (and James Brown, Bowie and, arguably, Elton, IMHO), the generation before had Sinatra. We were told that Elvis was never as good as Sinatra - but we knew better :wink: Is this greatness based on who was most popular in a generation or on who changed or defined his generation?

stewart38
16th-August-2005, 05:03 PM
That is creepy!!! You psychic or something or do you think this was a coincidence??

It is CNN in 1997 you jet set !!

David Bailey
16th-August-2005, 06:15 PM
Ooh, I know that one - "Predator", yes?

Hold on, wrong thread.

*Beep*: You have reached the auto-response for DavidJames.
David has used up his ranting allowance for today. However, your custom is important to us, please re-apply for ranting tomorrow. Have a nice day. *Beep*

ducasi
16th-August-2005, 07:28 PM
I've really no idea. I don't claim to be psychic or anything, but this and similar uncanny and not-explainable-by-science things has led me to believe that there may be more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in conventional (natural) philosophy.

(PS. I was watching CNN from my humble bedroom on cable telly. I actually tuned into it before turning on the television, I was that convinced there was something I needed to watch on it.)

Dance Demon
16th-August-2005, 09:49 PM
That and the fact that Elvis is not actually dead :wink:

The King will live forever....Long Live The King :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Makes me sad that people seem to remember Elvis the way he was when he died....i.e. the "Vegas Elvis"........I much prefer the early stuff that he did with Sun Records.

puresunrays
16th-August-2005, 10:37 PM
Well I think I might have been in Mitcham (?) Surrey, I dont remember because I was only 14 months old!! :nice:

Piglet
17th-August-2005, 12:47 PM
I was at my granny's house when Elvis died. He died on my brother's birthday and Diana died on mine! Keep wondering when someone famous is going to die on my other brother's birthday - 28th June (well obviously somebody ultra-famous probably has died on that date in the last 37 years - but I've not been aware of it).

stewart38
17th-August-2005, 03:47 PM
I was at my granny's house when Elvis died. He died on my brother's birthday and Diana died on mine! Keep wondering when someone famous is going to die on my other brother's birthday - 28th June (well obviously somebody ultra-famous probably has died on that date in the last 37 years - but I've not been aware of it).

Claude died on 28th June 1984 !!!!! this is spooky

Born: 11 Feb 1909 in Johannesberg, Transvaal, South Africa
Died: 28 June 1984 in Paris, France

Claude Chevalley was the only son of Abel and Marguerite Chevalley who were the authors of the Oxford Concise French Dictionary. He studied under Emile Picard at the École Normale Supérieur in Paris graduating in 1929. He went on to become the youngest of the Bourbaki mathematicians.

After graduating Chevalley continued his studies in Germany, studying under Artin at Hamburg during session 1931-32. He then went to the University of Marburg where he studied under Hasse who had been appointed to fill Hensel's chair there in 1930. He was awarded his doctorate in 1937.

In 1938 Chevalley went to the United States to the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton where he also served on the Faculty of the University of Princeton. From July 1949 until June 1957 he served as professor of mathematics at Columbia University, afterwards returning to the University of Paris.

Chevalley had a major influence on the development of several areas of mathematics. His papers of 1936 and 1941 where he introduced the concepts of adèle and idèle led to major advances in class field theory and also in algebraic geometry. He did pioneering work in the theory of local rings in 1943, developing ideas due to Krull.

Chevalley's theorem was important in applications made in 1954 to quasi-algebraically closed fields and applications made the following year to algebraic groups. Chevalley groups play a central role in the classification of finite simple groups. His name is also attached to Chevalley decompositions and to a Chevalley type of semi-simple algebraic group.

Many of his texts have become classics. He wrote Theory of Lie Groups in three volumes which appeared in 1946, 1951 and 1955. He also published Theory of Distributions (1951), Introduction to the theory of algebraic functions of one variable (1951), The algebraic theory of spinors (1954), Class field theory (1954), Fundamental concepts of algebra (1956) and Foundations of algebraic geometry (1958).

Chevalley was awarded many honours for his work. Among these was the Cole Prize of the American Mathematical Society awarded to him in 1941 for his paper La théorie du corps de classes published in the Annals of Mathematics in 1940.

Chevalley was elected a member of the London Mathematical Society in 1967.

ToeTrampler
17th-August-2005, 06:39 PM
Claude died on 28th June 1984 !!!!! this is spookySo thats what happened to him. I've been thinking lately that I hadn't seen "old Claude" for a while. ;)
Is that the best Google could come up with??? I think we are looking for just a teeny weeny bit more famous than that.
Actually if I was a big celebrity I'd be bricking it right now thinking I might only have 10 months to go :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

stewart38
17th-August-2005, 07:23 PM
So thats what happened to him. I've been thinking lately that I hadn't seen "old Claude" for a while. ;)
Is that the best Google could come up with??? I think we are looking for just a teeny weeny bit more famous than that.
Actually if I was a big celebrity I'd be bricking it right now thinking I might only have 10 months to go :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

well they have to have died on 28th June !! I didnt think it was bad from memory, whats google :grin:

ToeTrampler
17th-August-2005, 07:40 PM
well they have to have died on 28th June !! I didnt think it was bad from memory, whats google :grin:

If it had been the 27th could've had Jack Lemmon (2001) or if you consider that the U.S. is six hours behind U.K. it could have actually been the 28th here :whistle:

Baruch
17th-August-2005, 08:35 PM
Gee, spoilt celeb ex-royal killed in car crash, lets all go into deep depression. And, I said all that at the time. Royals, grrrrr...
I never particularly liked Diana while she was alive, and that didn't change when she died. So a spoiled, self-centred, cynical manipulator of the press died in an accident? Big deal. I never knew her, so it meant nothing to me. I certainly couldn't understand the mass hysteria that followed. On the other hand, so often people who have made a real contribution to other people's lives (like Mother Teresa) get much less fanfare when they die.

St. Diana? Don't make me laugh.

(OK, rant over. Can you tell I'm anti-royalist?)

Piglet
17th-August-2005, 11:16 PM
If it had been the 27th could've had Jack Lemmon (2001) or if you consider that the U.S. is six hours behind U.K. it could have actually been the 28th here :whistle:

Jack Lemmon was such a honey! And I know you're not going to believe this but my mother's birthday is the 27th June! :rofl:

Anyone want to find a famous biddy that died on my dad's birthday: 22nd January?? :whistle:

ToeTrampler
18th-August-2005, 12:24 AM
Jack Lemmon was such a honey! And I know you're not going to believe this but my mother's birthday is the 27th June! :rofl:

Anyone want to find a famous biddy that died on my dad's birthday: 22nd January?? :whistle:
Well a bit before your Dad's time I presume (so technically not yet his birthday) was Queen Victoria (1901)
But also could have President Lyndon B Johnson (1973) and JFK's mother!- Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy (1995)

stewart38
18th-August-2005, 11:09 AM
ok who died on my birthday 9th Feb

In fact i share it with my twin brother and my grandfather :what:

David Bailey
18th-August-2005, 12:03 PM
On the other hand, so often people who have made a real contribution to other people's lives
:yeah: Like Jeffrey Bernard. :clap:

(like Mother Teresa)
Oh, yeah - her too :blush:

ToeTrampler
18th-August-2005, 12:57 PM
ok who died on my birthday 9th Feb

In fact i share it with my twin brother and my grandfather :what:

Bill Haley (1981) & Princess Margaret (2002) bet they had to prise the whisky glass out of her hand

Missy D
18th-August-2005, 05:59 PM

*passes popcorn*

pssssssssst.. over here too Zzzzzzz

stewart38
16th-August-2006, 05:16 PM
Can believe so much has happened in the last year

this is 29yrs ago the King died :worthy:

fletch
16th-August-2006, 05:22 PM
I was a Punk and it wasn't the 'in thing' to like Elvis :(

Twirly
16th-August-2006, 05:25 PM
I remember they put lots of his old films on the TV in the school holidays. I watched them all and taped lots of the songs and then drove my parents mad by playing them incessantly and singing along. Can still remember quite a lot of the words from that little exercise… :blush:

straycat
16th-August-2006, 05:31 PM

:yeah:

Everyone dies. What got me was that Mother Teresa's death, and hence her life, her achievements were utterly overshadowed, and mostly ignored while everyone focussed on Diana's death.

The world became a much poorer place when Mother Teresa died, and it seemed that barely anyone took notice of that :confused: :sad:

stewart38
16th-August-2006, 05:32 PM
I was a Punk and it wasn't the 'in thing' to like Elvis :(

That was last year what about 1977 ?

David Bailey
16th-August-2006, 08:29 PM
Everyone dies. What got me was that Mother Teresa's death, and hence her life, her achievements were utterly overshadowed, and mostly ignored while everyone focussed on Diana's death.
Well, yeah, but what about poor Jeffrey Bernard then? Huh? :innocent:

straycat
16th-August-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, yeah, but what about poor Jeffrey Bernard then? Huh? :innocent:

He died. Everyone got drunk to honour him. The end?

2leftfeet
16th-August-2006, 09:54 PM
I had blue hair.....now well its not blue!!
Had leather trousers and doc martins......now well I still wear them!!
2LF
:whistle:

jiveknight
17th-August-2006, 11:53 AM
I was in France :sad: read about the kings passing in a newspaper - "Le King Est Mort" :what: and didn't believe it until I got home from holiday and all his films were on tv everyday.

Proud to have met Priscilla and Lisa Marie though:grin: :nice:

Beowulf
17th-August-2006, 05:36 PM
I was on summer holiday I imagine.. Was 7 years old so would have been ..what , Primary Two I imagine?

I can't really remember what I did yesterday.. let alone when I was 7 !!