PDA

View Full Version : 20 August - for those not going to Greenwich...

LMC
15th-August-2005, 12:03 PM
I don't have a ticket for Greenwich and apart from there, this Saturday seems to be a bit of a dead zone :(

Letchworth is quite close to me and a nice venue, but two classes so freestyle time will be limited and I don't know that I will know anyone there...

Anyone know anything about the Rivoli Ballroom events - and/or is anyone going?

What's everyone else who didn't get a Greenwich ticket up to on Saturday?

Purple Sparkler
15th-August-2005, 12:05 PM
I don't have a ticket for Greenwich and apart from there, this Saturday seems to be a bit of a dead zone :(

Letchworth is quite close to me and a nice venue, but two classes so freestyle time will be limited and I don't know that I will know anyone there...

What's everyone else who didn't get a Greenwich ticket up to on Saturday?

What are these Rivoli Ballroom events of which you speak?

LMC
15th-August-2005, 12:08 PM
it's not Ceroc, ssssshhhhhh

http://www.jiveparty.com/ (found it from uk-jive.co.uk)

David Bailey
15th-August-2005, 12:57 PM
it's not Ceroc, ssssshhhhhh

http://www.jiveparty.com/ (found it from uk-jive.co.uk)

Ahh - I thought that was the "Jackie's Jukebox" thing you were referring to there for a minute. :whistle:

Sparkles
15th-August-2005, 01:08 PM

My best advice would be don't bother, but I think the Rivoli is a bit like Marmite - you either love it or you hate it.
Personally I wouldn't be sorry if I never went back there, but that's just one person's opinion, some other people really like it.

S. x

Tiggerbabe
15th-August-2005, 01:41 PM
Alternatively you could make your way to Aberdeen's Station Hotel for the monthly party there. Tiggerbabe's doing the music (yeah, that would be me!) and Lorna will be teaching a fun class.

8pm-1am - :clap: :clap: 2nd last party night before the Champs for anyone wanting some extra practice :whistle: :D

Almost an Angel
15th-August-2005, 01:42 PM
For those of you not heading or able to get to Greenwich, there's a party night at Fleet on the 20th.

Headlining is Natalie and Yuval, and I'm informed they will be doing a repeat of the cabaret they did at MJC in June. (including the awsome aerials) :worthy: :worthy: . Also Casey MacGill and the Blue Four will be playing live. :drool:
Open til 1pm so lots of time for dancing. There will be two rooms of dancing (swing/modern). There's also apparently some workshops during the day.

Might be there depends if the neck will allow me to make it to Hungary or not!!! :( Either way I won't be dancing. :mad:

Sheepman
15th-August-2005, 01:56 PM
Anyone know anything about the Rivoli Ballroom events Once upon a time I enjoyed the Rivoli, and I do like the venue, mostly down to the excellent floor.
But the last two times I've been (that makes 2 times in the last 2 years) I found the music too retro for my taste, the place far too smokey, and filled with muggles spilling drinks on the floor :angry:

My recommendation would be make the trip to Fleet, especially if you didn't see Natalie and Yuval at MJC :worthy:

Greg

LMC
15th-August-2005, 02:30 PM
My recommendation would be make the trip to Fleet, especially if you didn't see Natalie and Yuval at MJC :worthy:

Greg

OK, Greg, Sparkles and a helpful PM make that 3 strikes against the Rivoli, so it's out.

I did see Natalie & Yuval at Bisley on the Saturday which means that I now know that Fleet could well be worth the effort, especially as it's until 1 am, although it's a longish way... :( - anyone else going from my neck of the woods (Herts/North London-ish) who wants to share car & petrol costs?

Minnie M
15th-August-2005, 02:37 PM
Real shame about the Rivoli - however with the right crowd it is still worth the journey - the place itself is wonderful and the music is usually OK - but it does have muggles and smokers :sick:

I'm really gutted cors I wanted to go to Fleet - it will be WONDERFUL but, it will be mainly swing and the band is the incredible and amazing :worthy: CASEY MAGILL :worthy:

stewart38
15th-August-2005, 02:45 PM

Greg

Yep agree to that and Fleets not a bad venue

Unfortunately ive been invited to a party with jelly and ice cream :whistle:

LMC
15th-August-2005, 02:56 PM
Why "unfortunately" don't you like jelly and ice cream?

Forgot to say thanks to everyone for feedback on the Rivoli - as I've never seen it mentioned on here I rather suspected that it might not be wonderful!

Just checked the AA, won't take as long to get to Fleet as I thought (or as long as the AA says :whistle: ) so that's it, decision made.

2 spaces in car, PM me if you're on my way and want transport (London pickup will be High Barnet)

Daisy
16th-August-2005, 01:24 AM
Fleet is a great venue with great people and well worth the visit if you have never been before.....you won't regret it.

Add to that the promise of another amazing cabaret, you can't go wrong.

Enjoy yourselves. :cheers:

Danielle
16th-August-2005, 06:23 PM
For those of you not heading or able to get to Greenwich, there's a party night at Fleet on the 20th.

Headlining is Natalie and Yuval, and I'm informed they will be doing a repeat of the cabaret they did at MJC in June. (including the awsome aerials) :worthy: :worthy: . Also Casey MacGill and the Blue Four will be playing live. :drool:
Open til 1pm so lots of time for dancing. There will be two rooms of dancing (swing/modern). There's also apparently some workshops during the day.

Might be there depends if the neck will allow me to make it to Hungary or not!!! :( Either way I won't be dancing. :mad:

had completely forgotton about this!!!! Natalie and Yuval are amazing, may well have to take a trip down to watch there caberet again :clap: :clap:

TiggsTours
17th-August-2005, 10:13 AM
OK, Greg, Sparkles and a helpful PM make that 3 strikes against the Rivoli, so it's out.

I did see Natalie & Yuval at Bisley on the Saturday which means that I now know that Fleet could well be worth the effort, especially as it's until 1 am, although it's a longish way... :( - anyone else going from my neck of the woods (Herts/North London-ish) who wants to share car & petrol costs?

I'm thinking of going, I live in Harrow, I'd be more likely to go if I had company in the car. Drop me a PM if you're interested, and anyone else from our way too, may as well get as many in as few cars as possible!

LMC
17th-August-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm thinking of going, I live in Harrow, I'd be more likely to go if I had company in the car. Drop me a PM if you're interested, and anyone else from our way too, may as well get as many in as few cars as possible!

I have a full car now sorry Tiggs, otherwise could easily have picked you up from Harrow!

Tickets need to be booked, I'm waiting for a call to let me know if there are any left, will post when I know...

Purple Sparkler
17th-August-2005, 10:27 AM
I have a full car now sorry Tiggs, otherwise could easily have picked you up from Harrow!

Tickets need to be booked, I'm waiting for a call to let me know if there are any left, will post when I know...

If there aren't, why don't we ALL do something completely different? Like go to the Globe? Or have a nice meal out all together?

David Bailey
17th-August-2005, 10:41 AM
If there aren't, why don't we ALL do something completely different? Like go to the Globe? Or have a nice meal out all together?
Heh - getting forumites together for a non-dance event? The phrase "herding cats" springs to mind...

LMC
17th-August-2005, 11:14 AM
Heh - getting forumites together for a non-dance event? The phrase "herding cats" springs to mind...

Hands shaking...

Palpitations...

Cold sweat...

"must dance, must dance, must dance...."

Almost an Angel
17th-August-2005, 05:20 PM
had completely forgotton about this!!!! Natalie and Yuval are amazing, may well have to take a trip down to watch there caberet again :clap: :clap:

Please come Honey, I'll be there and Natalie and Yuval are fabulous
Unfortunately the neck means I'm not allowed to go to Hungary,

I can't dance but I'll be able to catch up with all the forumites, so if you're coming make sure you stop and say hi to me. I'll be the one sat in the corner not dancing!!!

spindr
17th-August-2005, 05:46 PM
Any word?

SpinDr
(hoping that stretching / resting "a crunchy knee" will make it ok for the w/end)

Rachel
18th-August-2005, 03:43 PM
...Forgot to say thanks to everyone for feedback on the Rivoli - as I've never seen it mentioned on here I rather suspected that it might not be wonderful! ...

I can see why many people don't like the Rivoli, but I absolutely adore it. You have never seen a place like it - you walk in the door and are transported back in time ... the lanterns, red velvet walls, the ladies 'powder room'.... I find the setting just so perfect (in a well-past-it's-day seedy extravaganza kind of way) I can't help having a brilliant time there. It's amazing!

I'm not necessarily trying to persuade you to go, cos it seems you've got better offers this weekend :wink: but I think it's somewhere everyone should try at least once at some point. I'll be doing my utmost to convince Marc that's where we should be this weekend.

... although Fleet is also looking extremely tempting .... May see you there!

Rachel

LMC
18th-August-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm not necessarily trying to persuade you to go, cos it seems you've got better offers this weekend :wink:
:what: do you know something I don't? :whistle:

but I think it's somewhere everyone should try at least once at some point. I'll be doing my utmost to convince Marc that's where we should be this weekend.

Rachel

OK, will bear Rivoli in mind for another time :nice: - thanks

Hope to see you at Fleet! :hug:

TiggsTours
18th-August-2005, 03:53 PM
I can see why many people don't like the Rivoli, but I absolutely adore it. You have never seen a place like it - you walk in the door and are transported back in time ... the lanterns, red velvet walls, the ladies 'powder room'.... I find the setting just so perfect (in a well-past-it's-day seedy extravaganza kind of way) I can't help having a brilliant time there. It's amazing!

I'm not necessarily trying to persuade you to go, cos it seems you've got better offers this weekend :wink: but I think it's somewhere everyone should try at least once at some point. I'll be doing my utmost to convince Marc that's where we should be this weekend.

Rachel

:yeah:

Couldn't agree more. I haven't been to the Rivoli for years, but only because its such a bugger for me to get to! Its so beautiful inside, the crystal chandeliers were once hanging in an Italian palace! It really is just like stepping back in time, looks quite dodgy from the outside, but you get inside and its like a whole new world! As for the clientele, couldn't really comment, like I said, haven't been for years, but it certainly wasn't bad last time I went, some of the best dancers around, and the music was fab! It quite often gets used for filming, a group of us spent a whole day there filming for an EastEnders special episode once, and it was also used for a scene (which ended up on the cutting room floor) of Spy Game with Brad Pitt & Robert Redford! Alot of dancers were used for 3 days of filming for that too.

Danielle
18th-August-2005, 06:07 PM
Please come Honey, I'll be there and Natalie and Yuval are fabulous
Unfortunately the neck means I'm not allowed to go to Hungary,

I can't dance but I'll be able to catch up with all the forumites, so if you're coming make sure you stop and say hi to me. I'll be the one sat in the corner not dancing!!!

I'm 90% there, am off to fulham tonight to see if i can remeber how to ceroc and depending on the results i may see you there - would be good to catch up!!! :hug: :hug:

Almost an Angel
18th-August-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm 90% there, am off to fulham tonight to see if i can remeber how to ceroc and depending on the results i may see you there - would be good to catch up!!! :hug: :hug:

Yippee!!!!

Good luck with Fulham tonight I'm sure you'll be fine. :hug:

Hope to see you Saturday

D xx

LMC
19th-August-2005, 11:35 AM
There are tickets left - unfortunately, by the time our Gang of Four found this out, alternative arrangements had been made so we don't have to be sad and lonely singles on a Saturday night...

So if you want to go to the freestyle, give 'em a call :)

Shame to miss Natalie and Yuval though :sad:

Purple Sparkler
19th-August-2005, 11:36 AM
There are tickets left - unfortunately, by the time our Gang of Four found this out, alternative arrangements had been made so we don't have to be sad and lonely singles on a Saturday night...

So if you want to go to the freestyle, give 'em a call :)

Shame to miss Natalie and Yuval though :sad:

I'm sorry!
But as I'm going home at noon today, I didn't want to hang about.
Will try and make tomorrow night fun anyway, though! :flower:

Danielle
19th-August-2005, 11:40 AM
:eek:
Yippee!!!!

Good luck with Fulham tonight I'm sure you'll be fine. :hug:

Hope to see you Saturday

D xx

Someone told me it was £17 tomo night :eek: - is that right????? thats 2 weeks worth of dancing!!! think i'm gonna have to give it a miss :tears: :tears:

Tiggerbabe
19th-August-2005, 01:33 PM
:eek:

Someone told me it was £17 tomo night :eek: - is that right?????
Nope - the usual £7 in
ABERDEEN, STATION HOTEL, 8PM-1AM:D:

Trousers
20th-August-2005, 08:58 AM
My best advice would be don't bother, but I think the Rivoli is a bit like Marmite - you either love it or you hate it.
Personally I wouldn't be sorry if I never went back there, but that's just one person's opinion, some other people really like it.

S. x

I've been I liked it.

The place is exactly what it say on the tin - Its a ball room god knows the date of the decorative style but I know Chef frequents it, I would too if I was south again.
It's just you will get a mix of Swing dance people and MJ'ers and the music has to suit all. They did film some stuff with Brad pit in that spy film he did (sorry informatively lacking I know).
But there are some cracking dancers there.

If you are more northern tonight there is one of the best jive nights up here tonight in Stockport Town Hall - I'll be there again Warning though - If anyone goes who has not been before if you ever see the bar without a queue run and buy two drinks 'cos the service there is poor - ok I'm being generous. ITS CR@P
The dancing however isn't.

Tonight its a theme?? night Beach wear - well forget that part but a god night regardless.

Does anyone really like theme nights -
apart from tarts n vicars I mean

whey hey!!! :devil: :rofl: