PDA

View Full Version : dancers professions...

wicked blue
14th-August-2005, 12:23 PM
I've noticed there seems to be a predominance of professions among many dancers...eg scientists and I.T bods!

Is it just a coincidence or are the majority of dancers out there one of the above!!??

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
14th-August-2005, 12:47 PM
Hey, where is Student in the poll? I had to tick 'other' :tears: I know, it's not 'technically' a profession as such, but I can't really get a 'proper' job until my course is finished.

Piglet
14th-August-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm a primary/nursery teacher :) Great job! Even greater holidays!
(which end tomorrow :tears: ) but at least I work with little children at the moment :nice:

A lot of the guys up here work in the oil industry, but don't think they would fit into the categories you've listed - though I could be hugely wrong :confused:

killingtime
14th-August-2005, 01:24 PM
To be fair you are really asking:

"What occupation do you people who enjoy dancing, who also obsess in a geeky enough way about it to visit forums about it, have?"

I think we therefore represent a slightly skewed set. Still an interesting question :D.

bigdjiver
14th-August-2005, 03:11 PM
To be fair you are really asking:

"What occupation do you people who enjoy dancing, who also obsess in a geeky enough way about it to visit forums about it, have?"

I think we therefore represent a slightly skewed set. Still an interesting question :D. :yeah: Sample bias is one of my "hobby-horses". This is one instance where it is interesting to see where a select group is coming from. I di not look beyond IT pro to see if the poll was multiple choice. "Self-employed" as a sparate category is useful, one might postulate that natural leaders in the workplace are attracted to hobbies where they can lead. Separate polls for male and female would have been more interesting. One might also postualte that professions that require spatial skills would also be more represented amongst dance leaders, and professions that require getting along with dominant people might be more represented amongst the followers. Similarly we might expect people that have to communicate opinions might be well represented on this forum.

FirstMove
14th-August-2005, 04:02 PM
People always forget about us mathematicians :confused:

under par
14th-August-2005, 04:04 PM
How about legal profession, solicitors and police etc. :flower:

Little Monkey
14th-August-2005, 05:39 PM
And artists, designers, musicians, actors.............?

I'm a POTTER! :clap:

Potty Little Monkey

DavidY
14th-August-2005, 05:56 PM
No no no - you've all got it wrong.

All polls about dancers' professions should use the full Standard Occupational Classification (2000) (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/methods_quality/soc/structure.asp) to avoid missing anyone out. :)

bigdjiver
14th-August-2005, 06:46 PM
No no no - you've all got it wrong.

All polls about dancers' professions should use the full Standard Occupational Classification (2000) (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/methods_quality/soc/structure.asp) to avoid missing anyone out. :)I was going to leap into smart-alec mode and point out that I could not find "self-unemployed", but I could not find "unemployed" either.

It says so much for the importance we attach to our jobs that we mostly say "I am an a .....", (a form of identity), rather than "I do ....", and even when we are not employed we say "I am an unemployed ...", when one might as well profess to being an unemployed Prime minister or Film Star or whatever.

(unemployed guru)

RachD
14th-August-2005, 08:02 PM
Do you think your profession might explain the way that you dance?

Would an artistic profession mean you are more creative in your dancing? Would a mathematician be precise about the angles he dances at or work out the probability of how many good dances he will get in one evening?
Would a psychologist be analysing your dance faces?

:rolleyes:

LMC
14th-August-2005, 08:20 PM
Would a psychologist be analysing your dance faces?

^^^ :eek:

Luckily, I don't think your profession explains the way you dance - I work for a charity and should therefore be kind and giving, but when I'm on my own time I'm Evil.

I agree with killingtime, I think the sample is biased. But still interesting :)

Lynn
15th-August-2005, 12:30 AM
Is it just me who thinks that a physicist and biologist would also be a scientist? And if its being split then what about the chemists?

I don't know what I am. I thought I had it all worked out - I have some different roles, all of which I enjoy, but I think that the different roles were what prevented me from getting a job I really wanted last week. They asked several questions that showed they were worried that I wouldn't stay in the job because I would want to pursue the other role more actively, which I don't think I can do in NI anyway. :tears:

Purple Sparkler
15th-August-2005, 12:23 PM
but when I'm on my own time I'm Evil.

Not completely evil. You did, after all, give me a lift. And surely the moving and shaking to fast-track my CV through to your permanent people was kind of your own time?

I'm a PA. Why was admin not on the list?

But if we're coming down on either side of the art/science divide, I'm on the Arts side. I do have an English degree and a Masters in Theatre and Film studies, after all.

Seahorse
15th-August-2005, 08:09 PM
Graphic designer/project manager though I'm self employed... which straddles several options...

Andreas
19th-August-2005, 12:31 PM
Do you think your profession might explain the way that you dance?

This would make an interesting game: guess the profession! :D

Lee
19th-August-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey, where is Student in the poll? I had to tick 'other' :tears: I know, it's not 'technically' a profession as such, but I can't really get a 'proper' job until my course is finished.

I refuse to select 'other', can you add 'Secret Agent' to the list :rolleyes:

And Professional Ice Hockey player, and Under 16 European swimming champion.

Lee :rofl:

Missy D
19th-August-2005, 03:53 PM
I cast peoples bodies! what more can i say? :rofl:

Doc Iain
19th-August-2005, 03:57 PM
'Secret Agent'

You too..... thought I was the only one... well thats what they told me!.... damn they always lie! :rolleyes:

Lee
19th-August-2005, 03:59 PM
You too..... thought I was the only one... well thats what they told me!.... damn they always lie! :rolleyes:

I'm the only agent in my village, you might be in a different village! :rolleyes:

Oh stop it!! just cause you get to demo with george the great! :worthy:

Lee

TiggsTours
19th-August-2005, 04:05 PM
Project Manager in an internet company, but I'd hardly describe my job as I.T. or computers! I just get the people who do know about that stuff to do the work.

Jooles
19th-August-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm in the media .......am I alone amongst forumites?

RachD
19th-August-2005, 04:24 PM
This would make an interesting game: guess the profession! :D

Judging by your face on this post, I think you are a dentist?

Yogi_Bear
19th-August-2005, 09:58 PM
Far too few options - hence the high numbers in 'other'.... :cool:
I suggest the occupational classification used in the 2001 Census (10 broad categories, I think) would suffice.

DavidY
20th-August-2005, 04:40 AM
Far too few options - hence the high numbers in 'other'.... :cool:
I suggest the occupational classification used in the 2001 Census (10 broad categories, I think) would suffice.Like these, you mean? :wink:
All polls about dancers' professions should use the full Standard Occupational Classification (2000) (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/methods_quality/soc/structure.asp) to avoid missing anyone out. :)I believe the census form itself asked people to write in their job title - the classification would have been done later I imagine.

Yogi_Bear
22nd-August-2005, 08:17 AM
Like these, you mean? :wink: I believe the census form itself asked people to write in their job title - the classification would have been done later I imagine.
Yes. The Census form asked people aged 16-74, who had ever worked, for the full title of their main job, and to describe what they did in their main job. There were additional questions to allow the derivation of Social and Economic Status (NS-SeC). In the majority of the published output the SOC2000 was used, with a highly abbreviated nine categories of occupations, 1 Managers and senior officials...........9 Elementary occupations. The coding of full occupation code based on the answers was, as I recall, semi-automated after the forms were read using OCR, backed up by manual coding where necessary.