PDA

View Full Version : Health and beauty product tips

Sparkles
11th-August-2005, 10:17 AM
So, what are your 'must-haves' to make you look/smell/feel great before a night out dancing?

I'm not talking boring mundane things like anti-perspirant (I don't want to get into that discussion again :rolleyes: ), I'm talking that little bottle/tube/tub of something that you wouldn't live without...

... I'll start, and my two biggest must-haves are my 'Allure' perfume (in the peach box) and my 'VO5 Nourishing Cream' - this is put onto the hair when it has been towel-dried and gives it a silky soft feel and gets rid of annoying static, it's quite difficult to get hold of so when I find some I stock up!

So, guys and girls, tell all....

LMC
11th-August-2005, 11:01 AM
'VO5 Nourishing Cream' - this is put onto the hair when it has been towel-dried and gives it a silky soft feel and gets rid of annoying static, it's quite difficult to get hold of so when I find some I stock up!
So *that's* your secret - your hair always looks shiny and silky. Thanks for sharing that, I will definitely try it!

My "can't live without" at the moment is Body Shop's face powder/foundation combo stuff - since I gave up smoking I've had terrible spots :tears:

My skin is really 'awkward' with perfumes - very very few seem to suit me. I would really like to find one to use as a 'trademark', the hunt continues :D

Chicklet
11th-August-2005, 11:16 AM
Elizabeth Arden Good Morning Face Serum is the only thing that can hold make up on my face - soooo light but soooo powerful - it's my desert island product and for smellies Bulgari Black (hair and body wash, body lotion and far too much spray) - it's not a scent I've ever come across on anyone else but it's very me (and I know our Bill likes it for one!!! :innocent: )

KatieR
11th-August-2005, 11:21 AM
So, what are your 'must-haves' to make you look/smell/feel great before a night out dancing?

I'm not talking boring mundane things like anti-perspirant (I don't want to get into that discussion again :rolleyes: ), I'm talking that little bottle/tube/tub of something that you wouldn't live without...

... I'll start, and my two biggest must-haves are my 'Allure' perfume (in the peach box) and my 'VO5 Nourishing Cream' - this is put onto the hair when it has been towel-dried and gives it a silky soft feel and gets rid of annoying static, it's quite difficult to get hold of so when I find some I stock up!

So, guys and girls, tell all....

My Arpege E'clat perfume and my 'Bare Naked Lady' body dusting powder from Lush!

curvy lady
11th-August-2005, 11:28 AM
coco chanell no5, Aloe Vera hair serum, Lavender bath oil, Enriched body shop cocobutter body cream ;-))

Just Wiggle
11th-August-2005, 11:55 AM
Can't leave the house without a swirt (or three) of Donna Karan's Be Delicious!

I've had a few nice comments on it although one guy did say "....oohh you're fruity!..." :confused: He quickly backtracked and said you smell fruity! :rofl:

Almost an Angel
11th-August-2005, 12:07 PM
My "can't live without" at the moment is Body Shop's face powder/foundation combo stuff
:yeah:
My fav too, as it's a powder/ foundation combo I find it stays on my face a little longer when I'm dancing and doesn't do that melting thing. :D

My fav perfume is still Emporio Armarni She - not sure what it is about that scent but it seems to cling to my skin really well and have had very favourable comments from several men :wink:

Good luck on your search New Kid.

I've been advised it's not quite as good as Chanel No 5 so you're fine there curvy lady.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
11th-August-2005, 12:21 PM
'Just Pink' by Lacoste, for two reasons: I first sampled it because of it's name, then fell in love with the fragrance :drool: Don't leave home without it!

Laura Geller 'CAULK' light cover up pencil - a necessity when I get a 'outbreak' of evil spots....infact I don't remember the last time I didn't have any spots, so I use it all the time :tears:

Lip gloss-at the mo using 17 'Dazzle Shine' to keep me lips looking nice :D

Nivea hand nourishing cream

If I think of any more i'll add em'

Ash :flower:

curvy lady
11th-August-2005, 12:26 PM
:yeah:
My fav too, as it's a powder/ foundation combo I find it stays on my face a little longer when I'm dancing and doesn't do that melting thing. :D

My fav perfume is still Emporio Armarni She - not sure what it is about that scent but it seems to cling to my skin really well and have had very favourable comments from several men :wink:

Good luck on your search New Kid.

I've been advised it's not quite as good as Chanel No 5 so you're fine there curvy lady.

why thankyou Angel...sounds like I may of just passed the test hey.. ;-))

Purple Sparkler
11th-August-2005, 12:53 PM
Stila lipgloss (purchase justified by the fact it was in aid of Great Ormond Street Hospital, where I had an operation aged 5) in 'Kiss it Better'.

Belize eyeshadow from B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful on Carnaby Street and, depending on my mood, a spritz of their Cocktail (when wearing one of my more impressive dresses), Two Hearts (rose and jasmine for when feeling girly), or B Scent (lemony and elegant for when I'm not feeling flirty-girly).

And for the preparative bath it's all stuff from Lush: Ceridwen's Cauldron bath melt, any one of their nice scrubby bars (especially Aqua Mirabilis) for post-shave legs, their Razorantium shaving cream, Sweet Japanese Girl cleanser, and any of their deep conditioners for my hair. And Cosmetic Lad moisturiser for my face (typical that the one that works best on me is for men!)

DianaS
11th-August-2005, 01:37 PM
Hmmm I'm kindda addicted to Lush soaps and really like Intuition and Ghost perfume. But if you haven't tried Play (by durex) give it a go, cas it will give you a very natural glow :waycool: :flower:

drathzel
11th-August-2005, 01:44 PM
Bourjois Beige Elastic 01 lip gloss is a must for me

Rhythm King
11th-August-2005, 02:51 PM
Ordinary nights - "Allure Sport", Special nights, "Antaeus", or "Allure Pour Homme", preceded with the matching shower gel on very special occasions.

Sparkles
11th-August-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't know how all you girlies manage to stand inside a 'Lush' shop for long enough to make your purchases - I find the combination of all the different fragrences so overpowering as I walk past the shop that I'm never tepted to go in. I've no-doubt that their individual products smell lovely, but I can't get over that first hurdle of walking in the door :sick:!

Tessalicious
11th-August-2005, 03:38 PM
My leetle tip for a foundation that doesn't clog your pores, if you're sensitive to that kind of thing, and even gets rid of spots, is Neutrogena Skin-Clearing foundation - but they've stopped selling it anywhere I can find in this country, so I have to ship it over from the other side of the pond.

If anyone ever sees any of this in a shop in this country, please please tell me, or if you're interested in trying it let me know and I'll order you some with my next bulk shipping :blush:

Purple Sparkler
11th-August-2005, 03:44 PM
I don't know how all you girlies manage to stand inside a 'Lush' shop for long enough to make your purchases - I find the combination of all the different fragrences so overpowering as I walk past the shop that I'm never tepted to go in. I've no-doubt that their individual products smell lovely, but I can't get over that first hurdle of walking in the door :sick:!

Hmm- you'll have to let me know a) when your birthday is (if it's before Christmas) and b) whether you prefer fruity, floral or sweetie (as in smells like old penny sweets, chocolate or honey) scents, so I can find you a few little somethings from Lush without you having to go in...

I found it overpowering the first couple of times, but I don't notice it now, and their skincare range is the best I've ever tried, both body and face products. Mum now gets me Lush things instead of Easter Eggs- I really don't eat a lot of chocolate, and she knows that if she gets me bath bombs or similar, I'll use them.

Chicklet
11th-August-2005, 03:58 PM
:yeah: I can't go NEAR it !! - stride quickly past to Jo Malone :drool:

(tell me this did Lush used to be Cosmetics to Go???)

Dizzy
11th-August-2005, 04:02 PM
My leetle tip for a foundation that doesn't clog your pores, if you're sensitive to that kind of thing, and even gets rid of spots, is Neutrogena Skin-Clearing foundation - but they've stopped selling it anywhere I can find in this country, so I have to ship it over from the other side of the pond.

If anyone ever sees any of this in a shop in this country, please please tell me, or if you're interested in trying it let me know and I'll order you some with my next bulk shipping :blush:

Oooh, I'm interested. Let me know when you are ordering. I have never been very good at picking good make-up. :blush:

Lucy Locket
11th-August-2005, 04:30 PM
Ordinary nights - "Allure Sport", Special nights, "Antaeus", or "Allure Pour Homme", preceded with the matching shower gel on very special occasions.

what !!! NO lipstick !!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Icey
11th-August-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm a BIG fan of Clinique. Especially their dramatically different moisturiser.

The only problem is the cost - V expensive here in the UK so I give my friends shopping lists when I find out that they are going to the states. I only replace make up bits and bobs when it's bonus time so that I get the freebies.

Rhythm King
11th-August-2005, 05:24 PM
what !!! NO lipstick !!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Well only at Beach Boogie and Rock Bottoms, but it depends on the theme nights :whistle:

spindr
11th-August-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't know how all you girlies manage to stand inside a 'Lush' shop for long enough to make your purchases
Lush is certainly great for blokes getting last minute pressies -- you don't even need to wrap some of them. I just have to resist the evil impulse to include a large wedge of "Buffy the Backside Slayer" -- something tells me that wouldn't be appreciated, even as a gift :)
SpinDr.

LMC
11th-August-2005, 05:37 PM
What Sparkles said - going in Lush is just overwhelming - how can you tell what you want to buy, it's like testing 20 different perfumes at once and losing your sense of smell.

But

< snips stuff which is probably best ignored in the interests of world peace and harmony> "Buffy the Backside Slayer"
That's it, I'm finding a clothes peg and going in to buy their entire stock of those.

Getting back on thread, my preferred lipstick brand is Oil of Olay - feels lovely although the staying power could be better...

Chicklet
11th-August-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm a BIG fan of Clinique. ...... I only replace make up bits and bobs when it's bonus time so that I get the freebies.

Clinique's a bit harsh for my peelywally northern face but I do love their Sparkle Skin body scrub because not only does it foam a bit, it's menthol and I'm an big fan of old fashioned menthol, camphor (Jo Malone Camphor Cleansing Cream - fab) and COAL TAR!!!!!(Neutrogena Rainbath anyone? - stateside only I'm afraid)

I also scour the dept stores to see who has the bonus on when I'm stocking up on my everyday stuff from Clarins, they have large travel sizes for two purchases and usually have an extra something under the counter for a third item!...unpacking a bagfull of freebie smellies is a lovely feeling - especially if the bonus was on at Boots and I remember to stick my card in the machine for the extra points voucher!!!

Purple Sparkler
12th-August-2005, 10:02 AM
"Buffy the Backside Slayer"

I'm very impressed you know what it's called.

That's it, I'm finding a clothes peg and going in to buy their entire stock of those.

More sensible to buy one of the double-sized bars of it, one at a time. Their stuff has expiration dates, you see.

Ordinary nights - "Allure Sport"

Just wanted to say that I was priveleged to be allowed to smell RK's ordinary nights scent of choice last night at Fulham, and it's very nice on him.

I fear I may have knocked him unconscious with MY scent of choice for the evening though...

Sparkles
12th-August-2005, 10:12 AM
I just have to resist the evil impulse to include a large wedge of "Buffy the Backside Slayer" -- something tells me that wouldn't be appreciated, even as a gift :)
IMO something that wouldn't be appreciated especially as a gift :rofl:

... I guess that's one of those products that many of us feel we need but only find out about through close female friends who share their knowledge with us in the form of whispers - so that a) we don't think they're being rude and b) so that we know that they don't want other people to know that they feel they need to use it too :grin:
(if you followed all that you're doing well ;) )

LMC
12th-August-2005, 10:12 AM
More sensible to buy one of the double-sized bars of it, one at a time. Their stuff has expiration dates, you see.
The amount I would need to use to make an, er, impact, they wouldn't have time to go out of date :rolleyes: . There is a Lush in Covent Garden piazza so I might be brave enough to venture in there now so many different things have been recommended.

Since we're on beauty products - can anyone recommend a good *non-sticky* hand moisturiser - Vaseline Intensive Care is what I'm using at the moment, which isn't too bad - but my poor hands are really terrible at the moment (I suppose dry is better than sweaty, but they are starting to get really rough, which will make them not nice for partners to hold :sad: ).

PS, you are *so* in trouble for setting my mind on men in good aftershave... one of my weaknesses :drool:

Purple Sparkler
12th-August-2005, 10:20 AM
PS, you are *so* in trouble for setting my mind on men in good aftershave... one of my weaknesses :drool:

Don't worry, I'm sure RK will let you have a sniff on Saturday at Twyford. :devil:

Also- Lush do many nice hand things. Including a solid bar of hand lotiony stuff that's rather good but very oily.

If you go, make sure you talk to an assistant and tell them you've never been in before. 9 times out of 10 that means you get some free samples if you buy something. Or even if you HAVE been in before (last time I was trying to choose a soap, the assistant gave me a little bit of some of the others I could have chosen, just so I could see what they were like!). And let me know what you end up buying (I always get curious about what folk buy in Lush, being as it's my favourite shop)

Feelingpink
12th-August-2005, 10:29 AM
... I just have to resist the evil impulse to include a large wedge of "Buffy the Backside Slayer" -- something tells me that wouldn't be appreciated, even as a gift :)
SpinDr.Unless of course you use it on yourself ... :drool:

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 10:31 AM
Since we're on beauty products - can anyone recommend a good *non-sticky* hand moisturiser - Vaseline Intensive Care is what I'm using at the moment, which isn't too bad Moisturiser is just fat (oil) and water blended with an emulsifier. It works by leaving a layer of grease on your skin that reduces trans-epidermal water loss, since it's only water content that makes skin soft. Throw in some silicones to make it feel more or less slippery, some preservatives to stop it culturing bacteria and yeasts over the course of several months in warm dirty bathrooms, and some perfume. Package in an attractive but ultimately very cheap pot, mark up by several thousand percent and advertise to gullible women until the profits roll in.

E45 works well - and has exactly the same list of ingredients as moisturisers costing thirty times as much.

Sheepman
12th-August-2005, 10:39 AM
Duh? :confused:
OK, I get it, that bit's just for the women to understand.
And what are Men doing on this thread anyway? :whistle:
(Scratches self and goes back to hide in the shed, kicking neighbours cat on the way...) :wink:

Greg

Chicklet
12th-August-2005, 10:56 AM
Since we're on beauty products - can anyone recommend a good *non-sticky* hand moisturiser -

for night time with cotton sleeping gloves on - Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream - not sticky but scarily thick - buy from a website that imports from the US cos it's TWICE the US price here!!

(I put this on my feet most nights and have NO hard skin)

Daytime - back to my old friend Clarins - their hand and nail treatment is lovely, it's by far the most effective of the "thin" creams - Neutrogena Norwegian stuff isn't bad for the price.

C

LMC
12th-August-2005, 10:59 AM
< snips technical stuff which I'm well aware of which is why I buy Vaseline IC at £1.45 not some fancy French stuff at £14.50 >

E45 works well - and has exactly the same list of ingredients as moisturisers costing thirty times as much.

E45 is good stuff but I find it just sits on my skin - and I hate that greasy feeling :sick: I think it contains lanolin (haven't got any handy to check) which my skin just 'rejects' - I'm not allergic, but it don't soak in.

Edit: having just seen Chicklet's post - thanks, think the cotton gloves thing would drive me MAD but will go and test your recommendations...

Pink Lady
12th-August-2005, 11:24 AM
E45 is good, but if your hands are as bad as mine (which I doubt), you end up having to apply it about 20 times a day. My mum found a parafin jelly cream (looks like petroleum jelly but slightly thinner) which works well for me. Some people might find it too "greasy" though but I find other regular hand creams just don't do the job. Another tip for the cottom gloves thing (tried that by the way and woke up at 3a.m. with my hands feeling paper dry!) is to get those disposable plastic gloves or thos non-latex surgical type gloves, cut off the finger tips, slather your hands in the cream of your choice and stick them on when you go to bed. The cutting off of the finger tips allows some air into them, reducing the 'sweaty' hands side effect.

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 12:02 PM
E45 is good stuff but I find it just sits on my skin - and I hate that greasy feeling :sick: I think it contains lanolin (haven't got any handy to check) which my skin just 'rejects' - I'm not allergic, but it don't soak in.

Edit: having just seen Chicklet's post - thanks, think the cotton gloves thing would drive me MAD but will go and test your recommendations...
have a go at making your own, then. You get to choose your favourite oils that way. Have a look at www.soapdishforum.com for some recipe ideas. If you need help in sourcing some of the more 'obscure' ingredients - albeit that they aren't obscure at all - PM me.

Aleks
12th-August-2005, 12:26 PM
As ESG pointed out, dry skin is made of cells that don't have enough lipids in the cell membrane to keep moisture in a cell. I reckon dry skin is best worked on from the inside of your body - try taking a good quality (organic if poss) wheatgerm oil supplement for a at least 2 - 3 weeks.

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 12:30 PM
try taking a good quality (organic if poss) wheatgerm oil supplement for a at least 2 - 3 weeks.As opposed to all those poor quality, inorganic ones?

Pink Lady
12th-August-2005, 12:40 PM
As ESG pointed out, dry skin is made of cells that don't have enough lipids in the cell membrane to keep moisture in a cell. I reckon dry skin is best worked on from the inside of your body - try taking a good quality (organic if poss) wheatgerm oil supplement for a at least 2 - 3 weeks.

Yes, I've heard that. My doctor once prescribed a course of Evening Primrose oil tablets, but I started putting on weight so I abandoned that one! My problem is that I've had eczema most of my life and that's why my hands are particularly dry, so I've tried most things by now.
Anyway, as we seem to have completely strayed off the thread - I'll attempt to get it back on track by saying that my 'must have' beauty product is Avon's LipInk. It's by far the best stay-on lipstick that actually does what it says - and doesn't "feather" at the edges of your lips. Fantastic!!

Almost an Angel
12th-August-2005, 01:11 PM
Since we're on beauty products - can anyone recommend a good *non-sticky* hand moisturiser - Vaseline Intensive Care is what I'm using at the moment, which isn't too bad - but my poor hands are really terrible at the moment (I suppose dry is better than sweaty, but they are starting to get really rough, which will make them not nice for partners to hold :sad: ).

I use Neutrogena hand cream, it's pricey (circa £4) but the tube lasts for ages and you only need a little as it's concentrated. I find it works very well.

I'm also using Neutrogena Nourishing Body Moisture Lotion which i'm finding is great and helping with some of my ezcema patches, they're not gone but hey we don't expect miracles do we!

Chicklet - I'm slowly building up a supply of Neutrogena rainbath but they're only the traavel sizes I'm afraid - The hotels I stay in when I travel for work keep stocking them so I keep 'borrowing' them.

Angel x

senorita
12th-August-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes, I've heard that. My doctor once prescribed a course of Evening Primrose oil tablets, but I started putting on weight so I abandoned that one! My problem is that I've had eczema most of my life and that's why my hands are particularly dry, so I've tried most things by now.
Anyway, as we seem to have completely strayed off the thread - I'll attempt to get it back on track by saying that my 'must have' beauty product is Avon's LipInk. It's by far the best stay-on lipstick that actually does what it says - and doesn't "feather" at the edges of your lips. Fantastic!!

Sorry to be continuing with straying off the thread...but..Yes I found this with evening primrose too...I now take Starflower Oil capsules=1000mg...which is fabulous for the skin, great for womens health (as its higher in GLA then evening primrose oil), & joints. Anything with oils in, is good for the skin ie Omega 3 Oils or high strength fish oils. Try eating more Oily fishes during the week..see if this improves the skin condition (& salmons great for memory too ;-)
I'll shutup now....so you can go back on track..

Pink Lady
12th-August-2005, 01:21 PM
Sorry to be continuing with straying off the thread...but..Yes I found this with evening primrose too...I now take Starflower Oil capsules=1000mg...which is fabulous for the skin, great for womens health (as its higher in GLA then evening primrose oil), & joints. Anything with oils in, is good for the skin ie Omega 3 Oils or high strength fish oils. Try eating more Oily fishes during the week..see if this improves the skin condition (& salmons great for memory too ;-)
I'll shutup now....so you can go back on track..

I'll try the Starflower oil - thanks for the tip. I'll try almost anything! Unfortunately, as for the fish idea - I'm a bit of a problem child as I'm allergic to fish!!

Icey
12th-August-2005, 02:35 PM
Buffy the Backside Slayer ... I guess that's one of those products that many of us feel we need but only find out about through close female friends who share their knowledge with us in the form of whispers - so that a) we don't think they're being rude and b) so that we know that they don't want other people to know that they feel they need to use it too :grin:

I've never even heard of it ... please someone tell me about it. What is it? What does it promise to do?

David Bailey
12th-August-2005, 02:38 PM
I've never even heard of it ... please someone tell me about it. What is it? What does it promise to do?
Sounds like a porno to me....

OK, that was just me, wasn't it?

Icey
12th-August-2005, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a porno to me....

OK, that was just me, wasn't it?

PORNO ??!!!??!!!?!?!?!?!!? :eek: Not what I meant at all

spindr
12th-August-2005, 03:06 PM
http://www.lush.co.uk/pages/buffy.html

Icey
12th-August-2005, 03:10 PM
http://www.lush.co.uk/pages/buffy.html

Ohhhhhhhhh I see now. Thank you.

NK - Looks like I'll be placing an order with you or we can go there when we go for a stroll around covent garden like we keep promising ...

LMC
12th-August-2005, 03:29 PM
NK - Looks like I'll be placing an order with you or we can go there when we go for a stroll around covent garden like we keep promising ...
Sure thing boss. I did go into Lush at lunchtime and my eyes are still watering... there are so many smells that it's very difficult to sort 'em all out to choose :tears:

Has anyone tried their honey and toffee soap, because that one did seem rather yummy (I do realise that it's not for internal consumption...) - I was so dazed by the fumes in there that I came away empty-handed but might go back for some of that.

Body Shop concealer *pencils* - fantastic! - just bought one :D

Purple Sparkler
12th-August-2005, 04:10 PM
Has anyone tried their honey and toffee soap, because that one did seem rather yummy (I do realise that it's not for internal consumption...) - I was so dazed by the fumes in there that I came away empty-handed but might go back for some of that.

Honey I Washed The Kids? It's lovely. I've used it before. Best value thing to do, though, is get it in a stack of three soaps (ask for 'The Sweetie Stack')- you get it with a lovely coconut soap, and a lovely pink soap that smells of pink shrimp sweets (anyone remember them??)

If you like honey scents, then the Flying Fox showergel is just beautiful. Honey and Jasmine and Ylang Ylang (I think).

If you and Icey were to head Lushwards at a weekend, I could join you and advise...