PDA

View Full Version : Music considerations when choosing a venue

Lory
11th-August-2005, 06:34 AM
Following on from some of the discussion raised in the thread 'What motivates you to dance at venues' I thought I'd make a poll :grin:

For the purposes of this poll, lets say beginners, are all people who've been dancing less than a year and Intermediates, have been dancing 1-3 years

It's anonimous and multi-choice

tsh
11th-August-2005, 11:02 AM
I've only been dancing for about a year, but the right music and the right partner sometimes lets me pretend that I know what I'm doing!

If the music is too hard, I can always mostly ignore it!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
11th-August-2005, 12:34 PM
...the right music and the right partner sometimes lets me pretend that I know what I'm doing!
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

philsmove
11th-August-2005, 03:57 PM
I’m an intermediate
The quality of the sound system is very important to me
I’m happy to dance to most tracks provided I can hear what is being played
But if the sound system is poor I’m more likely to dance to tracks I know (unfortunately some venues in Bristol have mediocre sound systems)

Donna
11th-August-2005, 04:06 PM
I’m an intermediate
But if the sound system is poor I’m more likely to dance to tracks I know (unfortunately some venues in Bristol have mediocre sound systems)

I think if the sound system was crap I then I'd go out for some real Hot Curry instead. :D

Chef
11th-August-2005, 04:13 PM
(unfortunately some venues in Bristol have mediocre sound systems)

Oh Dear!! I just hope the system at the 1940s dance in Bristol on saturday is not one of the mediocre ones. Are you going or are you going to be in the Ashton park ballon festival?

Donna
12th-August-2005, 02:16 PM
Oh Dear!! I just hope the system at the 1940s dance in Bristol on saturday is not one of the mediocre ones. Are you going or are you going to be in the Ashton park ballon festival?

I know what I would choose!! :D

under par
17th-August-2005, 06:00 AM
I've started dancing 5 years ago and have had 2 complete breaks totalling 15 months since i started.

I don't honestly beleive I knew what music was until last year.

i was just dancing moves, moves and more moves quite badly to whatever track was playing but not in time with the music.

mrs Par who started dancing 2 years before me and has a natural affinity to dancing (and has always danced to the beat / rhythm of the music) was constantly on at me for not dancing to the music.

Things have changed dramtically for the better for me over the last 18 months and i now feel confident in my ability to dance to music, I hear it better now.

one of the considerations in choosing a dance venue is who the dj is, so I can hear the type of music that will give me inspiration to dance well.
(As well as a venue with lots of good male leads for Mrs Par to dance with) :yeah:

MartinHarper
18th-August-2005, 01:12 AM
I'm a beginner: I hate challenging tracks

So, I've seen the gods and demi-gods in Southport and the like dancing to "challenging music". They didn't look challenged to me. They looked like they were in their comfort zone, doing something that was natural to them, and just having fun. I'd say the demi-gods danced better to this supposedly "challenging" music than they did to the music preferred by mortals.
Being part of the unwashed mashes, I would call this declared "challenging music" by a different adjective: "undanceable". That is to say, I can't dance to it. I can dance at the same time as it, but I'm kidding nobody. There's no real fun in me attempting to dance to totally undanceable stuff - I might as well attempt to dance to a drum solo - so yeah "I hate challenging tracks". In particular, I hate to hear music whose only redeeming feature is that it seperates out the gods from the mortals.

On another level, though, I love challenging tracks, in moderation. That is to say: I love dancing to music that challenges me - stuff that takes me out of my comfort zone. This means easy Latin music: even the most banal Latin track has me struggling to really adapt to the different feel. This means live music, which twists and turns in unexpected ways. This means tracks that are unfamiliar to me - no matter how "thump thump" they might sound to the pantheon. This means tracks that are slightly faster, or slightly slower, than the traditional beginner music bpm. I wouldn't want to dance to it all night, or even most of the night - but it's no lie to say "I love challenging tracks".

So, don't call it "challenging music" - a beginner on her first night at a standard Ceroc venue will be challenged more, and more often, than the folks in the Blues room at 2am. It's just advanced modern jive music, because it's well-suited for dancing advanced modern jive.

Lou
18th-August-2005, 10:13 AM
So, don't call it "challenging music" ...
I danced to Shania Twain last night. Now, that's what I call "challenging music". :whistle:

(the sense of achievement at the end was remarkable! ;) )

TiggsTours
18th-August-2005, 10:23 AM
I danced to Shania Twain last night. Now, that's what I call "challenging music". :whistle:

I had one of the most memorable dances of my life once to Shania Twain's "Man, I feel Like a Woman". It was in the Blues Room at Camber at about 10:30pm, it was empty, I was on my way back to my chalet to get something, a friend of mine came in from the other end. We had the whole room to ourselves, nobody saw a thing. All inhibitions went out the window, and we both just really went for it, camping it up like crazy! At the end of the dance we both just kept walking the way we'd been going, neither of us spoke a word. Neither of us have mentioned it ever since, but everytime that comes on and we're both at the same place, we just make a bee-line for each other, and smile naughtily. :devil:

Donna
18th-August-2005, 10:41 AM
They looked like they were in their comfort zone, doing something that was natural to them, and just having fun. I'd say the demi-gods danced better to this supposedly "challenging" music than they did to the music preferred by mortals.

You'll find most of these 'demi-gods' most probably have a musical background. Most people I dance with or have watched who can interpret any type of music usually say that they play an instrument. I believe if you have an excellent understanding about rhythm then you can dance to anything...even the most challenging tracks.

That is to say: I love dancing to music that challenges me - stuff that takes me out of my comfort zone.

Have you ever considered trying ballroom lessons?? It just doesn't teach you to dance but it's also a music lesson at the same time. I think if you were to take it up for a few months you'd see a huge difference in how you respond to music you once felt uncomfortable with.

Lou
18th-August-2005, 10:56 AM
Most people I dance with or have watched who can interpret any type of music usually say that they play an instrument.
:rofl:

*cough*drummers!*cough*

:whistle:

Donna
18th-August-2005, 11:59 AM
:rofl:

*cough*drummers!*cough*

:whistle:

What I mean is they don't just dance to the beat all the time. I find people who play guitar are very clever when it comes to dancing and they know what's coming...you know breaks etc.

Dazzle
18th-August-2005, 12:38 PM
As a DJ as well, I hate it when people call tracks "undanceable". That is generally not the case or the whole floor would be empty. Like some have said, it is just a case that some people don't feel comfortable dancing to it or their dancing has not progressed to a level where they can adapt to it.

I find it bizarre that even if a track is just like any other with a good, strong, easily identifiable beat, people cannot dance to it simply because they don't know it. That is like saying I can't drive there because I only know the roads I always use. The others are roads too and you apply what you use already to negotiate them. I do feel there are too distinct groups and it is not meant as an insult to anyone. There are those who dance and those who do moves and there is nothing wrong with either, I just wish each did not pull down the other. Modern Jive in whatever colour or style it is presented, is designed to be easy to learn for everyone. So you will get those dancing who can manage the basics and you must cater for them and there are also those who wish to take it much further. I have learned as a novice DJ that there is a very fine line to tread to be able to satisfy all these different levels in one night.

Lynn
18th-August-2005, 01:42 PM
So you will get those dancing who can manage the basics and you must cater for them and there are also those who wish to take it much further. I have learned as a novice DJ that there is a very fine line to tread to be able to satisfy all these different levels in one night. Of course that's the fab thing about multi room weekenders, where there is something for everyone. And you can move between rooms and get whatever style of music you are in the mood for at that time! :clap:

MartinHarper
18th-August-2005, 01:48 PM
*cough*drummers!*cough*

Lou - she said a musical background...

TiggsTours
18th-August-2005, 01:53 PM
There are those who dance and those who do moves and there is nothing wrong with either, I just wish each did not pull down the other. Modern Jive in whatever colour or style it is presented, is designed to be easy to learn for everyone.

:yeah:

Probably the best thing about modern jive is that it is just so adaptable! It can be danced at (almost) any tempo, to any music, you can put as much, or as little, into it as you like. There is no other style of dance that can boast of this, no other style of dance can you fit 2, 3 even 4 different dance styles, and footwork, into one track. Its fab!

I have learned as a novice DJ that there is a very fine line to tread to be able to satisfy all these different levels in one night.

:yeah: too!

You can please some of the people some of the time, and none of the people none of the time, but you just can't please all of the people all of the time!

I saw on another thread someone said that they hate swing, and everybody loves latin, simply not true, as alot of the subsequent replies said. I LOVE swing! Its my favourite! You can play with it so much! I like a little bit of latin, but not a great deal. I love the blues stuff, but a whole night of it would make me sleepy, I love West Coast, but I'm still at the counting stage, wouldn't want to be counting all night, I love the oldies, a good rock and roll track, with the right partner, what an adrenaline rush! and I love alot of the modern stuff, especially the stuff you can get down and dirty too! :devil: :whistle:

Yogi_Bear
18th-August-2005, 02:00 PM
i was just dancing moves, moves and more moves quite badly to whatever track was playing but not in time with the music.

Indeed. There comes a point in someone's ability as a dancer when they realise this and begin to do something about it. The emphasis on moves and more moves in the typical MJ class environment makes this quite likely. When you realise that it isn't just about speeding up or slowing down a never ending sequence of 'moves' to match the speed of the music, you're ready to move on to the next level (IMHO)...

Yogi_Bear
18th-August-2005, 02:03 PM
...to go further, if the music isn't doing anything you don't need to do anything much either. Just wait for the music to give you a reason to start something that might begin to resemble a 'move'.....and resist your partner's inclination to keep jigging about...if that's what happens.

Donna
18th-August-2005, 02:45 PM
Indeed. There comes a point in someone's ability as a dancer when they realise this and begin to do something about it. The emphasis on moves and more moves in the typical MJ class environment makes this quite likely. When you realise that it isn't just about speeding up or slowing down a never ending sequence of 'moves' to match the speed of the music, you're ready to move on to the next level (IMHO)...

Whitebeard
18th-August-2005, 10:31 PM

I didn't pick up on that one. I'm quite partial to Country (and yodelling, how way out can you get?). Hey, perhaps I should keep an ear cocked for Iris Diment.

jivecat
23rd-November-2005, 10:38 AM
I would pick venues on the basis of how much I liked the music if there were loads of equivalent venues within equal driving distance. As it is, I usually choose the nearest one as I don't think it's feasible for me to regularly drive for miles just for a few hours dancing.

The quality and type of music makes a huge difference, as much or even more, than the quality of the dancers, sometimes.

Having said that, I'd rather sit out tracks that succeed or fail on the quality of interpretation, ("Fire" comes to mind) if I can't find a suitable partner, as it's too excruciating and frustrating trying to deal with the clash between the movement and the music otherwise. (I wouldn't have thought this even 6 months ago, just kick me if I get too up myself.)

Trish
23rd-November-2005, 11:49 AM
I would pick venues on the basis of how much I liked the music if there were loads of equivalent venues within equal driving distance. As it is, I usually choose the nearest one as I don't think it's feasible for me to regularly drive for miles just for a few hours dancing.

The quality and type of music makes a huge difference, as much or even more, than the quality of the dancers, sometimes.

Having said that, I'd rather sit out tracks that succeed or fail on the quality of interpretation, ("Fire" comes to mind) if I can't find a suitable partner, as it's too excruciating and frustrating trying to deal with the clash between the movement and the music otherwise. (I wouldn't have thought this even 6 months ago, just kick me if I get too up myself.)

:yeah: - especially the bit about "Fire", in my regular venue there are less than a handful of men that I enjoy dancing with to this track, although if I catch one of those then I really enjoy it!

robd
23rd-November-2005, 01:35 PM

:yeah: - especially the bit about "Fire", in my regular venue there are less than a handful of men that I enjoy dancing with to this track, although if I catch one of those then I really enjoy it!

I appreciate that there are, and will always be, preferred partners, particularly for more challenging music but I think this could be a timely point to remind ourselves that it's a partner dance and that musical interpretation can, and should, be the responsibility of both dancers. Leaders do not magically arrive at a stage of advanced musical interpretation skills though some individuals clearly have more of an ear for the breaks and patterns than others and, yes, some people will continue to crash through pretzel after pretzel regardless of the current track but there is still a learning curve for people to travel en route to becoming that preferred partner and followers, particularly experienced followers can assist with that learning by suggesting where and when a leader might optimally stop/freeze/slow down and then (and this is something I struggle a lot with) seamlessly pick up the flow at an appropriate point post-break. That's quite a long sentence isn't it:rolleyes:
Trish, I know you are not backwards in coming forwards with advice and help :clap: and it's really useful. With other individuals a leader may not be willing to try experimenting because they do not have the confidence to deal with it when (it is when and not if) it goes wrong.
In summary, ladies, help us out! Longer term, you might just find that your pool of preferred partners becomes somewhat wider.

Robert

Yogi_Bear
23rd-November-2005, 11:10 PM

I always find a trade off (living in Norwich) between the local venues and the long drives to other venues for the opportunity of dancing other styles, meeting and watching new people, and so on. It's not so much the music, more the total package offered by the evening out, the cost,and the time I would get to bed!
There are always some tracks for which I would find a partner, any partner, rather than sit it out. On balance it would be worth risking a clash between music and interpretation.
'Fire' is a track I always associate with a dance with Zebra Woman at Stevenage earlier this year, though she later mistook me for someone else :whistle:

Lory
23rd-November-2005, 11:39 PM
Having said that, I'd rather sit out tracks that succeed or fail on the quality of interpretation, ("Fire" comes to mind) if I can't find a suitable partner, as it's too excruciating and frustrating trying to deal with the clash between the movement and the music otherwise. :yeah:

Leaders do not magically arrive at a stage of advanced musical interpretation skills though some individuals clearly have more of an ear for the breaks and patterns than others and, yes, some people will continue to crash through pretzel after pretzel regardless ~SNIP~

In summary, ladies, help us out! Longer term, you might just find that your pool of preferred partners becomes somewhat wider.

A while back, I was dancing with a guy who was just banging out move after move, we were dancing to something like 'Wade in the water' and suddenly, out of sheer frustration (like Jivecat said) I forced a break upon an unsuspecting guy, basically, I just stopped dead, whilst holding him in a vice like grip, and almost shouted at him 'listen to the music' :angry: (I blame PMT:whistle: ) A nano second later I was mortified and sincerely apologised:what: how could I have done that to the poor guy:blush: :blush:

BUT instead of him being annoyed with me, he said OOH, THANKS :yum: can you do that again when the next break comes?:devil: I really want to get the hang of this :clap: :cheers:

Yogi_Bear
23rd-November-2005, 11:46 PM

A while back, I was dancing with a guy who was just banging out move after move, we were dancing to something like 'Wade in the water' and suddenly, out of sheer frustration (like Jivecat said) I forced a break upon an unsuspecting guy, basically, I just stopped dead, whilst holding him in a vice like grip, and almost shouted at him 'listen to the music' :angry: (I blame PMT:whistle: ) A nano second later I was mortified and sincerely apologised:what: how could I have done that to the poor guy:blush: :blush:

BUT instead of him being annoyed with me, he said OOH, THANKS :yum: can you do that again when the next break comes?:devil: I really want to get the hang of this :clap: :cheers:That's cool, Lory, I must try it myself. Usually when someone goes all hyperactive on me and I'm not doing anything like she's expecting I just say something like 'I'm waiting for the music', but it doesn't usually have the desired effect. I think a lot of people have never actually as much as 'paused' in a dance.....:rolleyes:

David Bailey
24th-November-2005, 09:44 AM
That's cool, Lory, I must try it myself. Usually when someone goes all hyperactive on me and I'm not doing anything like she's expecting I just say something like 'I'm waiting for the music', but it doesn't usually have the desired effect.
Sways are good for "forcing" a pause - it's more difficult if you're apart from your dancer, whereas in a sway hold you can pretty much just hold your partner in place until she gets it.

Mind you, sways are just lovely anyway. I like sways. :grin:

robd
24th-November-2005, 09:48 AM
Mind you, sways are just lovely anyway. I like sways. :grin:

I did try, when dancing to 'Sway' , on Sunday to pull my partner into a Sway every time the line 'Sway with me' was repeated. Didn't work 100% but certainly better than I had expected.

Astro
9th-February-2007, 04:39 PM
I’m an intermediate

If it's any consolation, there are mediocre sound systems in London too. Yet sometimes, depending on the DJ said systems are OK.
Is it all down to the DJ's technical expertise/fine tuning on the night?

Sheepman
9th-February-2007, 05:04 PM
sometimes, depending on the DJ said systems are OK.
The fine tuning helps, but if you've got a bad sound system, it won't ever give you the same range of sound as a decent one.
On some systems individual tracks will sound bad. (One in house system I use has a noise limiting system which clips any heavy base, so I am constantly tweaking equalizers, as well as marking tracks as not suitable for that venue. :sad: )

I think it's important for DJs, especially with unfamiliar venues & systems, to go around the floor during the session, checking the sound.

Greg

Astro
9th-February-2007, 06:38 PM
I think it's important for DJs, especially with unfamiliar venues & systems, to go around the floor during the session, checking the sound.

Greg

DJ's please note.....

Gus
9th-February-2007, 07:35 PM
DJ's please note.....and this is news how?? :confused: are you suggesting some DJs don't caryy out basic checks? :rolleyes:

Astro
10th-February-2007, 04:10 PM
and this is news how?? :confused: are you suggesting some DJs don't caryy out basic checks? :rolleyes:

I have seen DJ's mosey to the bar for a drink, realise the volume is low, then race back to rectify.

I think punters are too scared to complain if things are not right. Fair enough, but wouldn't you think the venue manager would say something or the teacher?

David Bailey
10th-February-2007, 06:03 PM
I have seen DJ's mosey to the bar for a drink, realise the volume is low, then race back to rectify.
Well I've seen vicious abuse of apostrophes, but do I complain?
Well, OK, I do....

Martin
10th-February-2007, 06:17 PM
Following on from some of the discussion raised in the thread 'What motivates you to dance at venues' I thought I'd make a poll :grin:

For the purposes of this poll, lets say beginners, are all people who've been dancing less than a year and Intermediates, have been dancing 1-3 years

It's anonimous and multi-choice

I will travel up to 2 hours, if the music is to my taste, and avoid venues where the music is not to my taste.

I guess I would have to say I am advanced, maybe just due to length of time dancing?

Astro
12th-February-2007, 06:18 PM
Well I've seen vicious abuse of apostrophes, but do I complain?
Well, OK, I do....

May have had too much wine...hic hic

Gus
13th-February-2007, 09:39 AM

I think punters are too scared to complain if things are not right. Fair enough, but wouldn't you think the venue manager would say something or the teacher?Fair point. I think venue managers are more scared of DJs than teachers ... bigger egos?:rolleyes: Aslo could be that some venue managers have no idea about sound balance, acceptable volume levels or what music is danceable. Take Stockport Town Hall (please)! One of the finest venues in the UK ... with the WORST sound / music / DJs. Its a crime against humanity ... well at least against dancers. Its not that hard to fix. Its only 2 or 3 years when DJ Lounge Lizard came with his full speaker set-up and the music was applauded. I nearly wish the Bad People had succedded in taking the venue off Blitz .. at least the music might have improved.

.... just a thought, bit like justifiable homicide. If an organisation runs a venue REALLY badly, would there be a justification to launch a takeover, kick them out and start playing the music punters want?:devil: