PDA

View Full Version : Cheap eats database

Clive Long
9th-August-2005, 08:30 PM
Can people post specific "eateries" they know of that serve tasty yet cheap food? Location can be anywhere.

My three contributions

1. Mirch Masal, 213 Upper Tooting Road: http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2709.htm

2. Turkish restaurants (and the bread & veggie shops) along Green Lanes near Manor House e.g.
Cyprus may still be divided but, on Green Lanes in Haringey, Greek and Turkish Cypriots have been happily living side by side for a generation. It's the perfect destination for an evening's stroll and great fun for people-watching: everything stays open late and the streets are packed with preening youth, gossipy old men and sharp-eyed matriarchs examining the floodlit displays of produce at the string of speciality greengrocers. Indulge yourself with a scarily sweet pastry at one of several bakeries or be healthy and just buy some delicious Turkish bread to take home. And if you're seriously peckish, take your pick from the cafés and restaurants. There's one every few paces, most with the characteristic ocakbasi open grills (for meat and fish lovers) and good selections of mezes (for the veggies). Try Erenler (64 Grand Parade, 020 8802 3263) or Eyva Ajdeniz (279 Green Lanes, 020 8880 2260).

3. Agacan 113 Perth Rd, Dundee tel 01382/644227. Tiny Turkish restaurant with an unmistakeable colourful exterior and rough-hewn walls inside; walls (and tables and chairs) covered with paintings by local artists and the owner. They serve up decent kebabs and stuffed pittas, and also do takeaways.

LilyB
9th-August-2005, 09:53 PM
Fulham - A great little noodle bar which opens till midnight just opposite the Town Hall - round the corner past the Slug & Lettuce, on Fulham Broadway. Think it's called Chop Chop but will check next time we're there. I don't think any of the dishes are above £4. It's the perfect place for a late night snack after the freestyle on Thursdays.

Little Monkey
10th-August-2005, 10:56 AM
3. Agacan 113 Perth Rd, Dundee tel 01382/644227. Tiny Turkish restaurant with an unmistakeable colourful exterior and rough-hewn walls inside; walls (and tables and chairs) covered with paintings by local artists and the owner. They serve up decent kebabs and stuffed pittas, and also do takeaways.

Agacan is a GEM! Also does rather nice veggie stuff, if you belong to that group. And the decor is spectacular - the mosaics outside and the carved and painted chairs are made by Stephen Bird, who's my studio neighbour, and a totally bonkers bloke! And they very often have wee art exhibitions there, showing work by (very good) local artists.

For chippies, I can only say that the best chippie in the world is in Anstruther in Fife (Scotland)! I'm not a huge fish'n'chips fan, but the stuff you get there is YUMMY!!!! :drool: It also used to be prince Willy's favourite chippy when he was studying in St. Andrews, and other celebrities (like Mel Gibson!) say it's the best fish and chips on the planet! The only problem is the queue - particularly at weekends and holidays. It sometimes goes all the way out the door, and continues 20-30 meters along the pavement! :eek:

Simon r
10th-August-2005, 11:12 AM
Aburger bar at the end of the A4 coming from Twyford to maidenhead best burgers ever...
Also Twyford has three curry house one thai ,one italian and a fish and chip shop ...
not bad considering there is only 15 shops in the whole of twyford and because there are so many they each keep there prices low to compete...
Usually end up sat next to Lenny henry, Dawn French or Glen Hoddle ............