PDA

View Full Version : Help - pigs in blankets

Jayne
20th-December-2002, 12:13 PM
Hi Guys,

can you help settle an argument we're having on the last day of work before christmas please?

What are "pigs in blankets"?

Cheers!

Jayne
:nice:

TheTramp
20th-December-2002, 12:20 PM
A quick look at the internet suggests that both of the above are equally correct (even though i voted for my own choice, which is the bacon option).

Other varieties (just to really throw a spanner in the works) include:

Oysters in bacon (Wrap thin slices of bacon around large oysters and fasten ends together with a toothpick. Place under hot flame and broil, turning frequently, until crisp and brown. Serve immediately)

Sausage (and cheese) in biscuit (Make lengthwise slits in sausages. Cut cheese into strips small enough to put into slits in sausage. Quarter each biscuit & shape into a spiral around each cheese stuffed sausage. Brush biscuit with melted margarine. Bake in preheated 375ยก oven until biscuit is browned.)

Sausages in pancakes Pigs in blankets can also refer to breakfast sausages wrapped in pancakes

(and that was just the first page of the results from the search).

Did this help at all?? :D

Steve

Jayne
20th-December-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp

Oysters in bacon (Wrap thin slices of bacon around large oysters and fasten ends together with a toothpick. Place under hot flame and broil, turning frequently, until crisp and brown. Serve immediately)

Had a bad experience with oysters at a well known Glasgow restaurant and never been able to eat them since.... (the place in question shares it's name with a book in the Bible...)

I was wondering if the change in name had something to do with nationality? I'm English (stop booing!) and also call sausages in bacon PIB but my scottish counterparts were calling sausage in pastry PIB (and they were calling sausage in bacon a sausage roll...).

See, the things that trouble the world of cutting edge scientific research!!!

Jayne

Graham
20th-December-2002, 02:44 PM
I believe PIB can be used to describe sausages with any type of wrapper, but most web hits seemed to favour pastry of some sort. As in UK we tend to refer to sausages with puff pastry wrapper as sausage rolls, perhaps using PIB to mean bacon wrapping might be more popular. On the other hand, in Scotland, a sausage roll might also refer to a bread roll containing a sausage (a variation on a bacon sandwich).

Just to confuse things further, oysters in bacon are usually called Angels on Horseback (or if chilli/tabasco is added Devils on Horseback), but I have also heard this name used for sausages wrapped in bacon.

I think the supermarkets have got round this nomenclature problem by labelling prepared appetisers like this "sausages wrapped in bacon", etc.

Where are your Scottish friends from, Jayne?

Jayne
20th-December-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Where are your Scottish friends from, Jayne?

The Glasgow and Fife girls were saying pastry. The girl from Ayrshire was saying bacon.

Bacon!

Jayne

DizzyBim
5th-January-2006, 03:59 PM
Pigs in blankets are sausage in pastry - it looks like a blanket - pastry if folded over sausage with a V on top..

Devils on horseback are sausage wrapped in bacon sometimes also known as kilted sausages.

Bx

Daisy
5th-January-2006, 04:07 PM
I believe that PIB are sausages wrapped in beacon (always used to garnish the Xmas turkey), and Devils on Horseback are prunes wrapped in beacon (yum yum) and baked in the oven.:drool: (served as finger food with champagne etc).

However, I dare say there may be many variations depending on where you live and what ingredients you have to hand....ie. it may be difficult to get fresh oysters..so substitute prunes.:whistle:

I would have thought that sausages wrapped in pastry were sausage rolls:rolleyes:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
5th-January-2006, 04:12 PM
Well i've been eating PIB for Christmas Dinner as long as I can remember, it's DEFINITELY Bacon, pastry would be a sausage roll surely?

Dance Demon
5th-January-2006, 06:54 PM
Pigs in Blankets.....Chipolata sausages wrapped in Bacon

Devils on Horseback........Prunes wrapped in Bacon

Both equaly delicious...:drool:

Petal
6th-January-2006, 05:05 PM
I believe that PIB are sausages wrapped in beacon (always used to garnish the Xmas turkey), and Devils on Horseback are prunes wrapped in beacon (yum yum) and baked in the oven.:drool: (served as finger food with champagne etc).

.... or my son's version "cows in duvets".:grin:

jammy
7th-January-2006, 03:55 PM
i have always know PIB as sausages wraped in pancakes

the once u get at chrismas time is just Chipolata's wraped in bacon 2 me that would be piggy wraped with another part of piggy.
jammy

jivecat
7th-January-2006, 08:26 PM
I seem to be remember my grandmother giving me something called pigs in blankets which were potatoes with a hole made in them with an apple corer and a sausage threaded through, and then baked. As far as I can remember anyway. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, when you could just cook them side by side for a similar effect.

thewacko
10th-January-2006, 10:15 PM
Well i've been eating PIB for Christmas Dinner as long as I can remember, it's DEFINITELY Bacon, pastry would be a sausage roll surely?
:yeah:

mind you as a yorkshireman living in London try going into a bakers and asking for "Breadcakes" and then ask for "buns":innocent:

Bl**dy Londoners should really learn to speak English yer know