PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Dancers

TiggsTours
8th-August-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi,

I've been taxiing for a few years now, and wondered what people thought of the whole concept.

Personally, I love the idea of taxi dancers, I think that we do a fantastic job, but it frustrates me that there is alot of irregularities. For example:

There is no set guidelines of EXACTLY what is expected from a taxi dancer:

a. We're expected to be there for the beginner's class, yes.
b. We're expected to dance with beginner's until a set time in the class, yes.
c. We're expected to run a review class during the intermediate class, yes.

However, some venues also run improvers classes, but there is no guideline as to how this takes place.
Taxi dancers do not go through any intial training for their role.
We are not given any guidelines as to what to do if we are asked to teach privately, which happens from time to time.
Also, some taxi dancers, like me, are lucky enough to work for venues that give free or discounted entry to a large number of venues, some don't. We all work just as hard, and this seems unfair. I'm a firm believer that all taxi dancers should get free entry to all venues, and not because that means I would, just because it would be fair.
On that note, it is only taxi dancers for Ceroc London who are asked to staff the Ceroc Champs. As this is the UK Championships, surely taxi dancers from all venues should be given the same opportunities?

I'd be really interested to know what other peoples thoughts are on this.

killingtime
8th-August-2005, 01:37 PM
I've been taxiing for a few years now, and wondered what people thought of the whole concept.

As someone who didn't really start Ceroc that long ago I still have fresh memories of the beginners' revision classes. There were a lot of good points about it. First to improve your confidence in the moves and just dancing with people. Second as a forum for asking questions about the moves. Finally I found the taxis really good for handing out technique advice.

Finally I found dancing with the taxis a great experience as, obviously in the beginners revisited class, other beginners also tend to suffer the same issues as you do. The taxi, on the other hand, knows the routine that you are trying and is a strong dancer that helps you through mistakes that you are making and such.

So I think the taxi dancer idea is great and really appreciate the hard work they put in.

Graham W
8th-August-2005, 01:53 PM
..I do taxi-ing - rather then worry about how one is supposed to teach beginners in the extra class, I see it as an opportunity to develop your own methods,??

G

Tessalicious
8th-August-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi,

Personally, I love the idea of taxi dancers, I think that we do a fantastic job, but it frustrates me that there is alot of irregularities. For example:

However, some venues also run improvers classes, but there is no guideline as to how this takes place.
We are not given any guidelines as to what to do if we are asked to teach privately, which happens from time to time.
Also, some taxi dancers, like me, are lucky enough to work for venues that give free or discounted entry to a large number of venues, some don't. We all work just as hard, and this seems unfair. I'm a firm believer that all taxi dancers should get free entry to all venues, and not because that means I would, just because it would be fair.
On that note, it is only taxi dancers for Ceroc London who are asked to staff the Ceroc Champs. As this is the UK Championships, surely taxi dancers from all venues should be given the same opportunities?

I'd be really interested to know what other peoples thoughts are on this.I've only started taxiing recently, so I don't feel particularly qualified to comment on the differences between what is stated as being expected of us and what we actually do, but I really enjoy it (most nights anyway) and agree that it is a really important role in keeping Ceroc friendly and getting people to come back week after week.

However I have noticed that as far as many beginners are concerned we are simply deputy teachers - so I always seem to find myself being asked 'can you show me that second move from the intermediate class' - well, actually, much as I'd love to help, firstly I'm here for the beginners, and secondly, no because I didn't see the intermediate class, what do you think I am, telepathic (or maybe telepathetic)?

As far as the free entry bit goes, it was recently pointed out to me that having 2 taxi dancers for every venue who taxi once a fortnight and allowing each of these individuals free entry to every night run by that franchise/group is very costly - I dread to think how quickly Ceroc would go bust if every Ceroc taxi dancer in the country could go free to every single class or freestyle. I know that it doesn't seem fair that taxis for small franchises get more limited freebie offers than others, but there doesn't seem to be a more practical way of organising this that would allow the business to keep running - and I for one would much rather continue to pay for entry to those venues not run by CerocLondon than for Ceroc to go bankrupt and no longer allow me to dance every night...

On another note, have any taxi dancers had the experience of taxiing for an intermediate class, in the same way as you would for a beginners class, or have any punters been in a class where this has happened? If so, what are the pros/cons of doing this and would it improve learning curves if this were to be brought in as a more general practice?

David Bailey
8th-August-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi
Hi TiggsTours, and welcome!

Totally agree - there's a discussion about consolidation classes here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5314)

Well, I don't believe that even ceroc teachers get such guidelines, for what it's worth.

:yeah: Again, there's a recent-ish thread on "Demo / taxi payment" (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5665) about the whole recompense issue - I totally agree that all taxis should get in free at every regular venue. And I'm not a taxi, so I'm not getting anything out of it.

MartinHarper
8th-August-2005, 02:25 PM
There is no set guidelines of EXACTLY what is expected from a taxi dancer.

I'm told that this varies between franchises and organisations. I suggest talking to your employer, and asking them what you're expected to do.

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2005, 03:06 PM
There is no set guidelines of EXACTLY what is expected from a taxi dancer:I suspect that most of the variation comes about because of one franchisee's ignorance about how other franchisees run their evenings. Do Ceroc venue owners ever go to each others classes? I suspect not. Whereas most dancers are a bit more promiscuous and attend several venues. That means that it's actually the dancers who have the best idea about what you can expect from a good Taxi and not their bosses.

Damien
8th-August-2005, 03:42 PM
Think taxis do a great job :clap: :clap: :clap: My only problem as a beginner was there just was't enough of them. Two say at a large venue just isn't enough. I've only ever danced with a taxi on one occassion and found her very helpful (tall, blonde lady at Hyde, sorry don't know your name but thank you):clap:

Been dancing about ten months (and know I don't know it all :o ). However, think I know all the beginner moves really well (with my eyes shut lol). I never hesitate to help newbies. Think I'd be a reasonable taxi for beginners.

But I wonder if there needs to be two levels of taxi, one for beginners and one for intermediates? I'd feel very able with the former but not the latter. Maybe if you could identify more individuals who are prepared to formally help newbies would be useful? I would be happy to do this without any compensation/free admission etc. The more that helped the less onerous would be the commitment.

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2005, 03:47 PM
Think taxis do a great job :clap: :clap: :clap: My only problem as a beginner was there just was't enough of them. Two say at a large venue just isn't enough.Both venues I attend often have six taxi-dancers each evening.

Damien
8th-August-2005, 03:51 PM
Both venues I attend often have six taxi-dancers each evening.

That sounds great. Thinks its great they give up so much of their evening. Just hope the operator doesn't go bust :tears: Like every service the better you look after your customer the more successful it will be - well at least in theory.

TiggsTours
8th-August-2005, 05:32 PM
If there were definate guidelines, I think it would improve things. I've been to some venues (not naming any) where the taxi dancers just seem to be doing it to get free dancing. One venue I went to I was actually told by a beginner that I was far more helpful, and approachable than the resident taxi dancer, they didn't even know I was a taxi at a different venue!

Also, where do your duties end? I personally think that, as staff, I have a responsibility to help clear up at the end of the evening, to report spillages of drinks, and clear up myself in venues where there is no official bar, etc. Generally be an ambassador for Ceroc.

If guidelines were in place, and initial training given, perhaps regular meetings to discuss how the venue can be improved etc. I think there would be a more professional level across all venues, and the beginners would benefit. Also, if a taxi dancer wasn't then living up to the required level, it would be possible to replace them with someone who would!

I personally don't think that getting free entry into every venu would bankrupt Ceroc, as you would generally stick to your regular venues and nights, and maybe have the odd night you might go somewhere different. It would be interesting to know what Teachers, Venue Managers, and other taxi dancers think.

David Bailey
8th-August-2005, 08:12 PM
I've been to some venues (not naming any) where the taxi dancers just seem to be doing it to get free dancing.
Well, errr, that's why I did it - what's wrong with that? Doing a job of work for financial recompense seems to be a reasonable attitude. Of course, professionalism means you do the best job you can, but it doesn't matter what your motivation is, surely? I'd rather have that motivation than some of the more shady ones I've heard...

Also, where do your duties end? I personally think that, as staff, I have a responsibility to help clear up at the end of the evening, to report spillages of drinks, and clear up myself in venues where there is no official bar, etc. Generally be an ambassador for Ceroc.
Good God - all I can say is :clap: and :worthy: - that's way more than most taxis could ever do.

If guidelines were in place, and initial training given, perhaps regular meetings to discuss how the venue can be improved etc. I think there would be a more professional level across all venues, and the beginners would benefit.
Totally :yeah: - hence my suggestion of "super-taxis" (stretch limos - I love that term :) ), or at least taxis for intermediate classes / dancers.

I personally don't think that getting free entry into every venue would bankrupt Ceroc,
Again, I agree - even assuming that your average taxi goes 3 extra nights a week, that's only, what £15-£18 maximum revenue lost. And that both assumes the taxi dancer would have gone to those other nights without the free entry, and ignores the bonus of attracting a good dancer to a venue.

I don't believe it's a financial problem, but an organisational one - the franchise model makes it tricky to have standard "terms and conditions of employment" across the board. Even different London franchises have different conditions, it's all a bit of a mess really...

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2005, 09:54 PM
Also, where do your duties end? I personally think that, as staff, I have a responsibility to help clear up at the end of the evening, to report spillages of drinks, and clear up myself in venues where there is no official bar, etc. Generally be an ambassador for Ceroc.I think if someone expected me to skivvy at their venue for the entire night for the reward of, ooh, six or seven pounds entry money - I'd tell them where to shove it, and faster than you can say "Ceroc Scotland Forum". Whereas I'm happy to do all those things as and when they need doing purely on the basis that I'm a nice guy. In fact, I've even been known to clear up venues at which I wasn't a taxi dancer - shock horror.

Russell Saxby
9th-August-2005, 12:33 AM
Even different London franchises have different conditions, it's all a bit of a mess really...

I have to disagree. Our taxi dancers are told what we expect of them and wot the benefits / perks are in return - it is their choice whether or not they decide to take on the role of taxi.. the fact that other franchises offer different perks does not make it a mess.

If however, some franchises have not set out clear guidelines then that is different, and if you are a taxi in these circs then you need to raise this with the Franchise Owner / Venue Manager.

Russell

under par
9th-August-2005, 01:45 AM
I. In fact, I've even been known to clear up venues at which I wasn't a taxi dancer - shock horror.

Me too, on occasions........and I've never been a taxi dancer and I'm not even a nice guy!!! :whistle:

Lou
9th-August-2005, 07:25 AM
Again, I agree - even assuming that your average taxi goes 3 extra nights a week, that's only, what £15-£18 maximum revenue lost. And that both assumes the taxi dancer would have gone to those other nights without the free entry, and ignores the bonus of attracting a good dancer to a venue.
:yeah: Plus, £15-£18 sounds like a fair rate for an evening's work for an assistant teacher.

And the majority of taxis probably wouldn't venture often outside their franchise.

You've got to admire the sheer cheek of Tessalicious' Franchisee, though :clap: Have they, by any chance, told you it's a vocation? :wink:

Paying taxis their weight in gold - now that would bankrupt Ceroc™. ;)

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 09:32 AM
You've got to admire the sheer cheek of Tessalicious' Franchisee, though :clap: Have they, by any chance, told you it's a vocation? :wink:
:rofl:
No, no - that's after they say "Well, there's plenty of other people who'd love to be taxi dancers, you know..."

Donna
9th-August-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi,

I'd be really interested to know what other peoples thoughts are on this.

Well hang on a sec, but if people are helping to run a business, then why should they have to pay to get in??!!! I'm a demonstrater and I don't have to pay!! They should consider the fact that they don't have to be a taxi dancer if they don't want to, and they aren't being returned a favour then why bother?? That's my theory anyway.

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 03:37 PM
Well hang on a sec, but if people are helping to run a business, then why should they have to pay to get in??!!! I'm a demonstrater and I don't have to pay!! They should consider the fact that they don't have to be a taxi dancer if they don't want to, and they aren't being returned a favour then why bother?? That's my theory anyway.
I'd agree - so we must be right :)

I have to disagree. Our taxi dancers are told what we expect of them and wot the benefits / perks are in return - it is their choice whether or not they decide to take on the role of taxi.. the fact that other franchises offer different perks does not make it a mess.
What makes it (IMO) a mess is that if you're a taxi dancer in, say, London, you can get into your franchise venues, but not the other 4 or 5 venues within easy drive, because you only get wussy "franchise-specific admit 1s" (£60 / ten), rather than super-"Admit 1s everywhere" (£65 / ten).

If you just give taxi dancers and demos the "Admit 1 everywhere" vouchers, that'd make it much easier for them in multi-franchise regions. I'm not convinced that an extra 50p of value per dancer per night would bankrupt Ceroc...

Actually, putting that exact monetary value on it, you get a taxi dancer for a massive £6.50 (or £13 if you're generous) per night, so to me that's still pretty good value.

Donna
9th-August-2005, 03:47 PM
If you just give taxi dancers and demos the "Admit 1 everywhere" vouchers, that'd make it much easier for them in multi-franchise regions. I'm not convinced that an extra 50p of value per dancer per night would bankrupt Ceroc...

Well of course it wouldn't. Ceroc has made millions and if some franchises can let their taxi dancers or demonstrators in for free then so can others I'm almost certain. Plus if they want to make sure these people are going to carry on working for them, then either paying them or letting them in for nothing would be a very sensible idea. ok, some people are kind enough to step in and lend a hand, but it gets to a point when that person thinks, 'well hang on, how long have I been doing this for now and what have I ever got in return?? Nil that's what'

Russell Saxby
9th-August-2005, 03:54 PM
Ceroc has made millions

rubbish :innocent:

nice photo by the way :whistle:

Donna
9th-August-2005, 03:56 PM

nice photo by the way :whistle:

Why thank you Mr Saxby... :blush:

Well then why is Mr Ellard supposedly a millionaire???

LMC
9th-August-2005, 04:05 PM
Maybe it's because I'm still a relative beginner - but I would *hate* to feel restricted to dancing with beginners for most of the evening every other fortnight, even if I did get in for free. Taxi dancers :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

On this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5673) Lee said

If dancers want to help the begginers there's nothing stopping them from doing so as a regular customer. You don't have to wear the black t-shirt to be of help :wink:
which would be my sentiments exactly. I do try to take note of who are the beginners - but freely admit that there are some that I avoid after dancing with them once - I don't have enough experience to make the dance pleasant for either of us.

It may be of interest that the "No way" answer to the poll on the linked thread - "Would you be a taxi dancer?" - got the greatest number of responses, although only by 1, and the total "sample" is probably not big enough to make to be significant (before all the maths geeks jump on me)

I think taxi dancers do a fantastic job and all respect to them - if Ceroc were a charity, then best practice would dictate that they had their travel expenses paid. Unfortunately it isn't, but as they are volunteers, I think all franchises should be as generous as they can afford - free entry to all venues/nights in that franchise should be a bare minimum IMO.

Donna
9th-August-2005, 04:12 PM
I do try to take note of who are the beginners - but freely admit that there are some that I avoid after dancing with them once - I don't have enough experience to make the dance pleasant for either of us.

Or is that because they are arm yankers?? I feel nervous dancing with some beginners and it doesn't matter how many times you advise them to loosen off a little they don't!! One actually hurt my shoulder and it hasn't been right for months!! :sad:

Don't you miss having a decent dance up until a certain time?? That is, when you don't really have much time at all to have a proper dance. I know beginners have to start somewhere to and need all the help they can get from taxi dancers so yes they should be respected, but I often hear a lot of them complain as well that there is no one to dance with and they show a great deal of frustration too.

LMC
9th-August-2005, 04:30 PM
Or is that because they are arm yankers?? I feel nervous dancing with some beginners and it doesn't matter how many times you advise them to loosen off a little they don't!! One actually hurt my shoulder and it hasn't been right for months!! :sad:
For me, it's because some of them are grippers or yankers. Also, I refuse to get into bad habits of backleading, so dancing with someone who hasn't yet learned to lead can be *very* frustrating for both of us - I am happy to spend an entire track talking a beginner through one move so they can lead it with no "help" from the follower - but some can't cope with that or won't accept that being able to lead one move well is a good start. I really upset someone the other night by "refusing" to backlead, despite being as kind as I could in my explanation of why it is a Bad Thing. Too many b****y women do it :sad:

Don't you miss having a decent dance up until a certain time?? That is, when you don't really have much time at all to have a proper dance. I know beginners have to start somewhere to and need all the help they can get from taxi dancers so yes they should be respected, but I often hear a lot of them complain as well that there is no one to dance with and they show a great deal of frustration too.
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I'm not a taxi - but yes, I would miss not having a decent dance until a certain time. I very rarely refuse dances from anyone - but once I have danced with two beginners in one evening I don't go looking for any more unless I'm in a very "giving" mood. Since I'm horrible, that only happens on Wednesdays when there's a full moon and an R in the month.

MartinHarper
9th-August-2005, 04:33 PM
We all work just as hard

Not so. Some taxi dancers are better than others, in terms of both hard work, and skills for the job.

Russell Saxby
9th-August-2005, 04:34 PM
I think taxi dancers do a fantastic job and all respect to them .

:yeah: :yeah:

if Ceroc were a charity, then best practice would dictate that they had their travel expenses paid. Unfortunately it isn't, but as they are volunteers, I think all franchises should be as generous as they can afford - free entry to all venues/nights in that franchise should be a bare minimum IMO.

but surely if Ceroc Taxis play such a fundamental part in helping beginners progress onto to being good intermediate and even advanced dancers then it is only fair that they get free entry to Hipsters aswell - mind you that would not really help with the over crowding, perhaps not such a good idea afterall.

It seems I have too much time on my hands this week. Off to put my dinner in the oven.

Russell

Donna
9th-August-2005, 04:39 PM
QUOTE=NewKid] I really upset someone the other night by "refusing" to backlead, despite being as kind as I could in my explanation of why it is a Bad Thing. Too many b****y women do it :sad:[/QUOTE]

You know why don't you?? Well the answer is simple Newkid...men simply don't like being told what to do by a woman. I've experienced this two and I think it blo ody well arrogant. If they don't want to learn, then bug ger them. They'll have to learn the long way round won't they. :angry: It's not you're problem.

I very rarely refuse dances from anyone - but once I have danced with two beginners in one evening I don't go looking for any more unless I'm in a very "giving" mood. Me too, I do try to make sure I dance with at least two or three beginners then after that I er dance for real.

LMC
9th-August-2005, 04:49 PM
I really upset someone the other night by "refusing" to backlead, despite being as kind as I could in my explanation of why it is a Bad Thing. Too many b****y women do it :sad:

You know why don't you?? Well the answer is simple Newkid...men simply don't like being told what to do by a woman. I've experienced this two and I think it blo ody well arrogant. If they don't want to learn, then bug ger them. They'll have to learn the long way round won't they. :angry: It's not you're problem.
Hmmm, that's a bit too jaudiced, even for me. I would say it's related more to Ceroc teaching's emphasis on "more moves" (rather than technique) - but I've gone on about that forever elsewhere so I'll stop RIGHT there...

Let's get things slightly into proportion - *some* beginners are very appreciative - I spent two tracks with a very new intermediate on Sunday - one dancing, one talking/explaining and I could see the light bulbs going on all over the place - I'm sure lots of it was stuff he'd been told before, but just hadn't taken in (because you don't, do you - there's just too much at the start). And *damn* it felt good to be able to "pay forward" all the help that people have given me.

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 04:56 PM
Re: "millions a year":

Well, Ceroc's been in business 20+ years, with apparently 400,000 members, average £5 entry fee over the years... I don't think "millions" is unreasonable to describe the income stream over that period. Tens of millions, I'd imagine.

OK, "Millions a year profit" would probably be an exaggeration, but I'd guess "Over a million in revenue a year" is very conservative for the scale of the business.

Oh, I think he had a bob or two before he bought Ceroc. But let's keep personalities out of it - Mike doesn't (and possibly can't) dictate terms to the franchisees in this area.

As I've said before, I really want people to make lots of money out of organising dance events - in my opinion this would help bring in some more professionalism to the scene. "Greed is good" :)

Clive Long
9th-August-2005, 05:00 PM
It seems I have too much time on my hands this week. Off to put my dinner in the oven.
Russell
At 4:30pm ??? !!!!!

What you cookin' ?

Roast ox?

Camel stuffed with swan?

I'd keep an eye on it Saxo.

Clive

Donna
9th-August-2005, 05:03 PM

What you cookin' ?

Roast ox?

Camel stuffed with swan?

Clive

El Salsero Gringo
9th-August-2005, 09:48 PM

If however, some franchises have not set out clear guidelines then that is different, and if you are a taxi in these circs then you need to raise this with the Franchise Owner / Venue Manager.

RussellActually David's quite right. It *is* a mess in London. Just because your taxi-dancers know what's expected of them, that doesn't make up for the mish-mash that happens across the rest of the metropolis.

You know why don't you?? Well the answer is simple Newkid...men simply don't like being told what to do by a woman. I've experienced this two and I think it blo ody well arrogant. If they don't want to learn, then bug ger them. They'll have to learn the long way round won't they. It's not you're problem.

Me too, I do try to make sure I dance with at least two or three beginners then after that I er dance for real.Hmmm... probably new beginners in Wrexham are best served if you *don't* become a taxi-dancer, then, Donna.

Russell Saxby
9th-August-2005, 11:38 PM
Actually David's quite right. It *is* a mess in London. Just because your taxi-dancers know what's expected of them, that doesn't make up for the mish-mash that happens across the rest of the metropolis.

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree. The arrangement we have with our taxi dancers is just that - an arrangement between us and them. It is nothing to do with any other franchise - it may be different but it is certainly not a mess.

Now if there are some discrepancies within a single franchise, than as I said before the taxis need to take it up directly with the franchise owner / venue manager.

:flower:

Russell Saxby
9th-August-2005, 11:40 PM

What you cookin' ?

Roast ox?

Camel stuffed with swan?

Clive

some of us had to work tonight :D

Clive Long
9th-August-2005, 11:45 PM
You know why don't you?? Well the answer is simple Newkid...men simply don't like being told what to do by a woman.

I ask my women what they want me to do and they smile sweetly and say "if you don't know, I ain't gonna tell you."

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here? :innocent:

Clive (an easily lead little flower)

El Salsero Gringo
9th-August-2005, 11:55 PM
Looks like we will have to agree to disagree. The arrangement we have with our taxi dancers is just that - an arrangement between us and them. It is nothing to do with any other franchise - it may be different but it is certainly not a mess.

Now if there are some discrepancies within a single franchise, than as I said before the taxis need to take it up directly with the franchise owner / venue manager.

:flower:The mess is that each of a dozen venues across london has different written and unwritten standards for it's taxi-dancers. I don't see how you could possibly disagree with that - it's a fact. And nothing to do with your own venue, which quite possibly has the strictest, tightest, most rewarding, best upheld, most tidy, least messy, neatest arrangements of all.

Clive Long
10th-August-2005, 12:36 AM
The mess is that each of a dozen venues across london has different written and unwritten standards for it's taxi-dancers. I don't see how you could possibly disagree with that - it's a fact. etc. etc. etc.

Are you being deliberately belligerent at the moment or just practising for the "World Argue-the-hind-legs-off-a-donkey" competition?

El Salsero Gringo
10th-August-2005, 07:26 AM
Are you being deliberately belligerent at the moment or just practising for the "World Argue-the-hind-legs-off-a-donkey" competition?You think that's belligerent? You haven't seen anything, yet...

Russell Saxby
10th-August-2005, 08:42 AM
The mess is that each of a dozen venues across london has different written and unwritten standards for it's taxi-dancers.

Ah so it sounds more like the problem is different standards at the various venues of one particular Franchise i.e. Ceroc London.

In which case if you taxi for Ceroc London and are uncertain of the standards required then you need to speak to David Bradley.

And nothing to do with your own venue

Yep you are right our own venue. We use the basic Ceroc formula, excellent as it is in IMO, but we are a seperate franchise and do some things differently.

which .....
... has the strictest, tightest, most rewarding, best upheld, most tidy, least messy, neatest arrangements of all

:yeah: :yeah: (ok so there was a little bit of creative cutting and pasting there :innocent: )

Thank you

David Bailey
10th-August-2005, 09:10 AM
The mess is that each of a dozen venues across london has different written and unwritten standards for it's taxi-dancers. I don't see how you could possibly disagree with that - it's a fact.
A couple of examples:
- One person I know taxis and demos for two different franchises, but gets totally different treatment at each franchise.
- Another taxi dancer I know went to a venue, tried to use her Admit 1, got told it wasn't valid, then the person on the door got into a argument with her about it, without even letting her pay (which she was perfectly willing to do), just assuming she was "trying it on".

Both happened in the London area.

My point, in case the argumentative one (OK, the other argumentative one) hasn't made it clear, is that there's inconsistency from a taxi dancer's point of view, when going to different venues in different venues. How many franchises are there in the London area anyway? 5? 10?

TiggsTours
10th-August-2005, 09:21 AM
A couple of examples:
- One person I know taxis and demos for two different franchises, but gets totally different treatment at each franchise.
- Another taxi dancer I know went to a venue, tried to use her Admit 1, got told it wasn't valid, then the person on the door got into a argument with her about it, without even letting her pay (which she was perfectly willing to do), just assuming she was "trying it on".

Both happened in the London area.

My point, in case the argumentative one (OK, the other argumentative one) hasn't made it clear, is that there's inconsistency from a taxi dancer's point of view, when going to different venues in different venues. How many franchises are there in the London area anyway? 5? 10?

I've been a taxi dancer for the same franchise, but different venues for over 3 years, and I've never been given an Admit 1! I just have to tell the person on the desk that I'm a taxi dancer, and they let me in. Seems to me that anyone could do that!

If there was a more standardised way of doing things, and if now that all membership cards have to be swiped, the taxi, teacher, demo status could be added to your membership details, surely that would be better all round? Surely it would protect Ceroc from people trying it on?

TiggsTours
10th-August-2005, 10:03 AM
Why thank you Mr Saxby... :blush:

He's made his money elsewhere, before he bought Ceroc. Ceroc was actually struggling to make any profit when he took it over.

TiggsTours
10th-August-2005, 10:08 AM

but surely if Ceroc Taxis play such a fundamental part in helping beginners progress onto to being good intermediate and even advanced dancers then it is only fair that they get free entry to Hipsters aswell - mind you that would not really help with the over crowding, perhaps not such a good idea afterall.

Russell

Overcrowding! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: When's the last time you went to Hipsters on a Tuesday! That's why they stopped it! Last time I went, at 10:30pm there was the grand total of 7 couples, and about 3 people sitting out!

Russell Saxby
10th-August-2005, 10:34 AM
How many franchises are there in the London area anyway? 5? 10?

3 to the best of my knowledge. Metro, Greenwich & London ( though London is now a merge of Ceroc London and Mike Ellards Franchise )

However if we include Greater London then we are talking Ceroc Kent (some not all venues are in Greater London - Welling, where I live, for example) the same may apply to Surrey - but I don't live there so don't know), There is even Ceroc Nights in Romford. Think that covers everyone.

A couple of examples:

by treatment do you mean perks - if yes still don't see what the problem is :angry:

If you have two jobs with two different companies, the likelihood is that the job / perks will be different. If you work for two franchises then you are working for two different companies.

I sound like a stuck record, but the problem, is that the taxi dancers are unsure of the "perks". In which case it is a communication issue between them and their Franchise Owner (s) - take it up with them, I will be saying no more on the matter :clap: :clap:

A couple of examples:

Admit Ones have always been a Franchise Option i.e. as a Franchise you can decide whether to issue and or accept them. There used to be an A5 Venue Directory - it indicated which venues were part of the Admit One scheme. When the A5 directory was scrapped, this info was put on the ceroc.com.
Ceroc Greenwich were never part of the scheme, and had this person turned up at our venue, we would have politely told them they cannot use their Admit One with us, and advised them where they can be used. We would of course take cash payment :D If of course it looked like a dodgy forged Admit One - we would have been straight onto the police :whistle:

This national Admit One scheme is gradually being phased out. If a Franchise so chooses they can set up their own Admit One scheme. Ceroc Greenwich are not doing this. I assume some of the bigger Franchises are, and can provide details upon request.

So if you are holding some admit ones, old or new, you may want to check with your Franchise owner as to where they can be used.

Russell

Russell Saxby
10th-August-2005, 10:39 AM
Overcrowding! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: When's the last time you went to Hipsters on a Tuesday! That's why they stopped it! Last time I went, at 10:30pm there was the grand total of 7 couples, and about 3 people sitting out!

BFF - get with the plot :flower:

David Bailey
10th-August-2005, 10:56 AM
3 to the best of my knowledge. Metro, Greenwich & London ( though London is now a merge of Ceroc London and Mike Ellards Franchise )
Thanks for the info.

However if we include Greater London then we are talking Ceroc Kent (some not all venues are in Greater London - Welling, where I live, for example) the same may apply to Surrey - but I don't live there so don't know), There is even Ceroc Nights in Romford. Think that covers everyone.
Plus Chilterns (Amersham, Chesham etc.), Greenford / W. Drayton (clubceroc.com - which franchise are they?)...

So, basically, between 6-8 seems about right - to me, that seems like quite a lot of different franchises.

by treatment do you mean perks - if yes still don't see what the problem is :angry:
Hmmm, I mean "proper compensation for doing a da**ed good job", i.e. what you get "paid" for being a taxi dancer. I certainly wouldn't call it a perk, I'd call it remuneration. Maybe I should set myself up as a taxi dancers union rep...

If you have two jobs with two different companies, the likelihood is that the job / perks will be different. If you work for two franchises then you are working for two different companies.
Sure - but that's again looking at the business end, I'm looking at it (as always) first and foremost from the dancer's end. And, as we've clearly established, there are lots of different dance venues very close together which a taxi dancer may want to go to - but may only get free entry to one or two of them.

Which to me seems like poor treatment - I wouldn't like to have to ask at each new venue "do you take Admit 1s", I'd be embarassed.

{ snip very useful information re: Admit Ones }
Thanks for that, I've learnt a lot.

I'm now coming round to the opinion that it'd be best to simply pay taxi dancers / demos for their time, as Ceroc do for teachers, door staff etc. All this faffing around with Admit Ones seems more trouble than it's worth to me.

Donna
10th-August-2005, 04:29 PM
Actually David's quite right. It *is* a mess in London. Just because your taxi-dancers know what's expected of them, that doesn't make up for the mish-mash that happens across the rest of the metropolis.

Hmmm... probably new beginners in Wrexham are best served if you *don't* become a taxi-dancer, then, Donna.

Too right. I wouldn't want to become a taxi dancer. NOooooo way.

Donna
10th-August-2005, 04:34 PM
I just have to tell the person on the desk that I'm a taxi dancer, and they let me in. Seems to me that anyone could do that!
Surely they should know who all the taxi dancers are anyway??

If there was a more standardised way of doing things, and if now that all membership cards have to be swiped, the taxi, teacher, demo status could be added to your membership details, surely that would be better all round? Surely it would protect Ceroc from people trying it on? [/QUOTE]

It should do.

Donna
10th-August-2005, 04:36 PM

That's terrible.... :sad:

Asif
10th-August-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi All

I have been taxiing for nearly 6 years now and there seem to be a variety of differences between how franchises operate and what rules they apply towards their demos and taxi dancers. These have also changed somewhat over the years too (i know some places that used to give free entry to taxi dancers from other franchises but stopped because it was not reciprocated).

In a nutshell, some franchises will have guidelines about improver courses, training, etc, but not all. Taxi dancers are not paid but most franchises will give them free entry to any other of their venues on a normal dance night. Also, taxi dancers either get free or reduced price entry to a special dance night with their franchise. Franchises will not allow free entry to other taxi dancers. There are some guidelines about what is expected from taxi dancers but this also varies between franchises.

I agree with Russell, what we get in return should not be viewed as a "perk" but as remuneration for the work we do. I like doing what i do and would like to think it is valued by all concerned. At the end of the day, they are running a business and should treat us accordingly.

I take great pride in what i do and i think that the level of dancing skill shown by some taxi dancers nowadays is appalling!! It seems that some franchises are taking on taxi dancers purely because they "look good" or some other paltry reason. Also, some taxi dancers are in it just for the perks and have no real interest in actually making people better dancers (they in fact are either pretty bad dancers themselves or just selfish and do not want to spend time/effort with the beginners after the lessons have finished)! Taxi dancers should have some kind of vetting/testing just like the teachers have.

[Rant over - Sorry!] :angry:

Free entry to ALL venues would be great, by using our membership cards to identify who we are but again, this kind of scheme would only work if everyone bought into it.

As for franchises loosing money if allowing free entry to other taxi dancers ... what a load of *******s!! Franchises WILL NOT go bust. It does not cost them anything to let someone in for free. If anything, we may end up bringing or attracting other (paying) dancers to their venues so it can acutally be beneficial to them!

I have actually just set up an independent chat group (on www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CerocTaxiDancers) purely for the purpose of allowing taxi dancers to share ideas, ask questions and make suggestions about how we can improve things, etc. If you are a taxi dancer, please join this group. If there are enough of us with the same views, we could actually make a difference.

- Asif :nice:

DavidY
10th-August-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm now coming round to the opinion that it'd be best to simply pay taxi dancers / demos for their time.Nooooo!

If you get paid then suddenly you become a professional and (for those who want to enter competitions) you have to compete in the "Open" category alongside all the teachers and other top professionals under current criteria. Most taxis aren't that good. :tears:

Plus you'd have to deal with the Inland Revenue. :tears:

David Bailey
10th-August-2005, 08:09 PM
In a nutshell, some franchises will have guidelines about improver courses, training, etc, but not all. Taxi dancers are not paid but most franchises will give them free entry to any other of their venues on a normal dance night. Also, taxi dancers either get free or reduced price entry to a special dance night with their franchise. Franchises will not allow free entry to other taxi dancers. There are some guidelines about what is expected from taxi dancers but this also varies between franchises.
Eggsactly, Asif! So, in other words, "it's a mess"... :innocent:

I agree with Russell, what we get in return should not be viewed as a "perk" but as remuneration for the work we do.
I suspect you're agreeing with me (and possibly disagreeing with Russell), but I'll let you off.

{ snip excellent ranting }

[/QUOTE]
Oh well, looks like the union rep job's been nabbed already :)

Tazmanian Devil
10th-August-2005, 09:04 PM

Hi I have been taxing for just over 2 years now and still love it as much now as when I first started. I taxi for Ceroc Kent and Greenwich. Both of which have very strong guidelines. We are to do all of the above and we are expected to promote our venues via busking. we are to advertise the ceroc workshops, videos etc, We are asked to help in beginners workshops.

The franchises I taxi for tend to go with a more when requested approch, aside from the workshops that is. I often have beginner/intermediates approch me asking for simple intermediate moves that they can practice with others at which I tend to take them to one side and go over one or two max moves at a time with them. It is fantastic to see people develop more and get more confident and if my one or two moves from the top of my head helps them then great.

Ceroc kent actuall train their taxis before letting them loose on the public, even after 2 years of working for them I still went to a taxi update which included a new contract and going over all guidelines. Also they were up for suggestions as to ways we can improve the service we give all in all a great set up.

I quite agree working for kent and greenwich I have got both sides of the coin, Greenwich have only one venue at the mo (Although it's one fantastic venue run by gorgeous lovely people :clap: ) Where as Kent have 13/14/15 venues I lose count, the number goes up all the time all of which are free entry to me. But I do belive it should be an all around thing after all there may be lots of franchises but it all mounts up to one company at the end of the day.

Here here not that I would want to work there as I tend to enter but it would be nice to have the choice even if I wasn't going to take it. :kiss: :hug:

Donna
11th-August-2005, 10:28 AM
Nooooo!

If you get paid then suddenly you become a professional and (for those who want to enter competitions) you have to compete in the "Open" category alongside all the teachers and other top professionals under current criteria. Most taxis aren't that good. :tears:

I thought that it's only if you are a teacher that you have to enter the open. Didn't think getting paid for being a taxi dancer was included. :confused:

David Bailey
11th-August-2005, 10:58 AM
If you get paid then ...
Hmmm, not that I'd ever recommend being in any way improper, but technically shouldn't you declare the Admit Ones anyway, as they have value or something?

I dunno, tax is a big mystery to me :)

Russell Saxby
11th-August-2005, 12:49 PM
It is funny cos I made special arrangements for all the Greenwich Taxi Dancers to get free entry into The Grand at Clapham whilst I was covering there. I took the trouble to print out a list of names and everything. Handed it to the door staff there, and emailed all our taxi dancers.

Not one took the offer up though. - I wonder if I there is a hint in there somewhere :(

A real shame cos I think the Clapham venues are two of the most vibrant venues around - I am happy to take the credit for one of them :whistle:

I have stopped teaching there now (well not quite back on Monday, as a one off as Ruth cannot do that one - and if you are thinking of coming down ..please note venue change to Wessex House)

I am still going to Clapham to dance socially now, and considering I have venues within 2mins and 15mins of home that is saying something.

Sorry got a bit off thread there :innocent:

Russell :waycool:

DavidY
11th-August-2005, 12:53 PM
Hmmm, not that I'd ever recommend being in any way improper, but technically shouldn't you declare the Admit Ones anyway, as they have value or something?

I dunno, tax is a big mystery to me :)Mystery to me too. I did have a quick look in the Inland Revenue website but couldn't fathom which bit might apply - if I don't get paid by someone then I'd assume they are not my "employer", for instance, (and therefore the bits about taxable/non-taxable benefits from employers may not apply) but I have no idea if this is right.

Plus by giving Admit Ones to taxi dancers the franchise arguably benefits as well as the dancer when she/he turns up another night to use one, because there are more "good" dancers at that venue, so benefit is going both ways.

Dreadful Scathe
11th-August-2005, 12:56 PM
I thought that it's only if you are a teacher that you have to enter the open. Didn't think getting paid for being a taxi dancer was included. :confused:
its teachers OR professionals but I doubt being paid to taxi qualifies you as professional and thats assuming payment in kind doesnt count already i.e discounted workshops, free entry etc..

DavidY
11th-August-2005, 12:56 PM
I thought that it's only if you are a teacher that you have to enter the open. Didn't think getting paid for being a taxi dancer was included. :confused:Haven't time to check the reference (probably in one of the many competition threads somewhere), but I thought that at least one competition's definition of a "teacher" was based on whether you'd received payment in the last 2(?) years to teach dance. It didn't AFAIK say how much payment or at what level you were teaching at.

Edit after seeing DS's post - Yes I guess you could count taxi payment as benefit in kind so it's probably not as clear-cut as I suggested above. :blush:

TiggsTours
11th-August-2005, 01:00 PM
By the sounds of what's been said on here, it sounds to me like Ceroc Greenwich has got the right idea of what a taxi dancer should be, and how they should be treated in return, well done Russell. :worthy: :clap:

The problem is that some of the other franchises don't seem to be nearly quite so focussed on what they expect, and don't communicate this to their staff, that's where things tend to fall down. Russell, perhaps you could communicate with other franchisees about how you do things? It sounds like they could learn alot from you.

However, that said, taxi dancers do work, on average from 7:30 till 10:00pm, that is 2 and a half hours. I personally generally have about 20mins when I get in from work to shower, change and throw some food down me before I need to leave. I have to turn up, or arrange cover, no matter what sort of day I've had, how I'm feeling, or sometimes how inconvenient it is with my "real" job! I'm happy with this duty, and I gain something far more than just free entry to venues for doing it, I gain something on a personal level. (That warm and fuzzy feeling you only get when you feel like you've really made a difference :wink: )

On average, I use my free entry twice a week at the moment, so that's £10 for 2 and half hours work, not that much really, is it? In fact for about 2 years, I never used the free entry at all, apart from for the venue I taxied at! An average of £2.50 for 2 and a half hours, surely that's below minimum wage, if we're going to get picky about how much we taxi dancers "cost" Ceroc by getting free entry?

How much do other taxi dancers use their benefits?

Donna
11th-August-2005, 01:58 PM
By the sounds of what's been said on here, it sounds to me like Ceroc Greenwich has got the right idea of what a taxi dancer should be, and how they should be treated in return, well done Russell. :worthy: :clap:

Yeah well done Russell :clap: :clap:

The problem is that some of the other franchises don't seem to be nearly quite so focussed on what they expect, and don't communicate this to their staff, that's where things tend to fall down.

Well said TiggsTours!! :clap:

Russell Saxby
11th-August-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah well done Russell :clap: :clap:

Thank you, but have to own up and say, we are always on their case, making sure that they are dancing with beginners as much as possible.

There is nothing that annoys me more than going to another venue, and seeing the first person an on-duty Taxi Dancer dancing with after the revision class is with an advanced dancer, good intermediate, demo, off-duty taxi, visting teacher or on-duty taxi dancer. The only thing that annoys me more is seeing them having a second dance with above said partner.

This is the most important time to dance with beginners - straight after the revision class before some of them head home early, as they often do.

Hence, I am reminding (nagging :flower: ) our Taxis all the time, to ensure this does not happen at Greenwich.

Russell

El Salsero Gringo
11th-August-2005, 03:35 PM
Mystery to me too. I did have a quick look in the Inland Revenue website but couldn't fathom which bit might apply - if I don't get paid by someone then I'd assume they are not my "employer", for instance, (and therefore the bits about taxable/non-taxable benefits from employers may not apply) but I have no idea if this is right.

Plus by giving Admit Ones to taxi dancers the franchise arguably benefits as well as the dancer when she/he turns up another night to use one, because there are more "good" dancers at that venue, so benefit is going both ways.Looking at the HMRC rules (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensioners/facts3_8.htm): if you earn less than £8500 from your employer, then the tax value of a benefit in kind is the sum you could earn by selling the benefit to a third party. Admit-one's of general validity would therefore appear to be a taxable benefit of a value of (say) £7, while free admission passes valid only for yourself are not a taxable benefit.

So the HMRC might say that taxi-dancers (who get free admission for themselves) are not employees since they receive no taxable benefit from their work. (I guess - I don't really know.)

On the other hand, the Courts might say that you are an employee, since you receive some kind of remuneration for your services. So your employer has a duty of care to you as an employee, you might have employment protection rights, and various other things too.

I look forward (in a general interest sense) to hearing the outcome of the court case that will follow the first Taxi Dancer to be injured by a beginner a Ceroc night and then attempt to sue the Franchisee for failing to ensure their safety.

Donna
11th-August-2005, 04:18 PM
Thank you, but have to own up and say, we are always on their case, making sure that they are dancing with beginners as much as possible.

Well if i was running a dance class and I was letting my taxi dancers come in for free, i'd expect them to do their job properly as well.

There is nothing that annoys me more than going to another venue, and seeing the first person an on-duty Taxi Dancer dancing with after the revision class is with an advanced dancer, good intermediate, demo, off-duty taxi, visting teacher or on-duty taxi dancer. The only thing that annoys me more is seeing them having a second dance with above said partner.

Yeah I agree it is unfair and it's not like they're are doing it every week either. Problem is everyone has kept their eye on them and the clock so when they aren't on duty no more a huge que has formed and then it's not really enough time to fit them all in.

TiggsTours
11th-August-2005, 04:51 PM

I do find sometimes though, and I'm quite sure this isn't always the case, that I often get asked to dance by people who aren't beginners, and I don't know them, so there's no way of me knowing they're not a beginner. In this case, I always finish the dance, and politely explain to them that I'm on duty, and need to be dancing with beginners, but they can come and find me after 10. I think that the good dancers are all aware of a taxi dancer's duties, and they owe it to them and the beginners not to ask a taxi dancer to dance until they are off duty.

This is the most important time to dance with beginners - straight after the revision class before some of them head home early, as they often do.

Hence, I am reminding (nagging :flower: ) our Taxis all the time, to ensure this does not happen at Greenwich.

I agree, you shouldn't feel bad about nagging your taxi dancers to dance with the beginners, that is afterall what they're there for!

We do all get a bit of time at the end of the evening to dance with the people we want to dance with, and free entry to other venues, if we're not dancing with the beginners, we should be sacked! Sometimes you search around for ages straight after a class though, and there's not a beginner in sight! I don't see the problem with having one dance with someone else in these situations.

Yeah I agree it is unfair and it's not like they're are doing it every week either. Problem is everyone has kept their eye on them and the clock so when they aren't on duty no more a huge que has formed and then it's not really enough time to fit them all in.

You need to remember though, although we're not on duty every week, when we do go dancing at the venue we taxi at, the beginners know us, and they always ask us to dance. Just because we're not on duty doesn't mean we can say no! When I'm not on duty at the venue I taxi at, I'd say I have about 50% of my dances with beginners!

Donna
11th-August-2005, 05:05 PM
You need to remember though, although we're not on duty every week, when we do go dancing at the venue we taxi at, the beginners know us, and they always ask us to dance. Just because we're not on duty doesn't mean we can say no! When I'm not on duty at the venue I taxi at, I'd say I have about 50% of my dances with beginners!

Reeeaaallly? Oh dear..maybe you should wear a t-shirt on your non duty nights reading 'I'm allergic to beginners today or something??? Just kidding, that was harsh. :D :D :D I'm a nice person really, honestly. For beginners to progress they have to dance with people who are experienced otherwise they aren't gonna learn anything are they. They deserve to enjoy themselves as well.

LMC
11th-August-2005, 05:11 PM
Tiggs/other TDs - out of curiosity....,

We obviously compare notes all the time with our friends at freestyles ("make sure you get a dance with *description here*, he's lovely" or "he's *insert less than lovely behaviour here*, avoid"). So do you pass the benefit of that experience to beginners too? - advise who they should ask to dance (because you know they are kind and helpful) and do you also tell them to 'avoid' certain people (for whatever reason)? If not, why not?...

Russell Saxby
11th-August-2005, 05:17 PM
I do find sometimes though, and I'm quite sure this isn't always the case, that I often get asked to dance by people who aren't beginners, and I don't know them, so there's no way of me knowing they're not a beginner. In this case, I always finish the dance, and politely explain to them that I'm on duty, and need to be dancing with beginners, but they can come and find me after 10

No problem with this at all

I think that the good dancers are all aware of a taxi dancer's duties, and they owe it to them and the beginners not to ask a taxi dancer to dance until they are off duty.

You would think so, but not always the case :angry:

So TiggsTours - as your name suggest do you arrange tours?

If so, and you want to arrange a tour for yourself and a few of your fellow Taxis then drop me a PM with their names and the date you want to head over (will have to be a Tuesday, as this is the only night we have running at the mo) and I will arrange free entry.

Russell

Groovy Dancer
11th-August-2005, 05:28 PM
I will arrange free entry.

Russell

Yippee !!!
the golden ticket!! :clap: :clap: :rofl: :whistle:

Tessalicious
11th-August-2005, 05:33 PM
Tiggs/other TDs - out of curiosity....,

We obviously compare notes all the time with our friends at freestyles ("make sure you get a dance with *description here*, he's lovely" or "he's *insert less than lovely behaviour here*, avoid"). So do you pass the benefit of that experience to beginners too? - advise who they should ask to dance (because you know they are kind and helpful) and do you also tell them to 'avoid' certain people (for whatever reason)? If not, why not?...Yes absolutely - if I spot a reason why a particular pair of beginners really would/wouldn't benefit from dancing together, I will advise them accordingly (separately of course, just in case one has a massive objection to the idea ;) ).

Generally as far as getting them dancing with the better/more helpful dancers is concerned I will ask a friend who is a more experienced dancer if they would mind having a dance with such-and-such beginner because..... (fill in reason here) and then if they say they wouldn't mind then I point the beginner out and let it happen. This is simply because it isn't fair on an experienced dancer who isn't there to taxi to be constantly bombarded with requests from beginners because one has been told that they should ask this person.

Russell Saxby
11th-August-2005, 05:35 PM
Yippee !!!
the golden ticket!! :clap: :clap: :rofl: :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

how did I know this was coming - but no don't worry the the gold ticket is saved for you.

besides this in print, your claim was pure hearsay :whistle:

Groovy Dancer
11th-August-2005, 05:41 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

how did I know this was coming - but no don't worry the the gold ticket is saved for you.

You must be psychic! :whistle: :rofl: :rofl:

:besides this in print, your claim was pure hearsay :whistle:

Ah there was a female witness. :whistle: :yeah:

Russell Saxby
11th-August-2005, 05:43 PM
You must be psychic! :whistle: :rofl: :rofl:

Ah there was a female witness. :whistle: :yeah:

Like I would ever trust the word of a female

Groovy Dancer
11th-August-2005, 05:45 PM

You wouldn't to say that too loudly Russell :eek: It could get you into trouble :whistle:

TiggsTours
12th-August-2005, 11:58 AM
So TiggsTours - as your name suggest do you arrange tours?

If so, and you want to arrange a tour for yourself and a few of your fellow Taxis then drop me a PM with their names and the date you want to head over (will have to be a Tuesday, as this is the only night we have running at the mo) and I will arrange free entry.

Russell

Why thank you, thats very kind of you. :grin: I shall have to grab a few of my taxi friends and pay you a visit. :clap:

Donna
12th-August-2005, 02:13 PM

Hey!! Common ladies, lets get em!!! :angry:

Groovy Dancer
12th-August-2005, 03:23 PM
Hey!! Common ladies, lets get em!!! :angry:

Russell you were warned :rolleyes: :whistle:

Dazzle
12th-August-2005, 03:49 PM
Have gone into this before on other threads, but anyway ... Where I instruct, instructors, franchisees, demos, and crew dancers (so as not to pick any affiliation!) receive a crew pass for their trouble. This entitles them to free entry on all class nights and freestyles at all venues in the group; Half price workshops and other reductions. All crew receive a rota to indicate when they are on duty. Crew are vital in introducing and retaining new dancers. The system would not work without them. OK so some do it for the wrong reasons, but they eventually get weeded out.

All crew receive a basic manual detailing their responsibilities and there are updates and crew days to ensure they carry out their roles effectively, especially if new or amended beginer moves are introduced.

What is hard about all that? :what:

I know Ceroc is a large organisation, but I am sure they could do the same IF they wanted to? Maybe it will happen as changes have been rollong over a long period since Mr Ellard took over. Time will tell.

TiggsTours
12th-August-2005, 03:54 PM
Have gone into this before on other threads, but anyway ... Where I instruct, instructors, franchisees, demos, and crew dancers (so as not to pick any affiliation!) receive a crew pass for their trouble. This entitles them to free entry on all class nights and freestyles at all venues in the group; Half price workshops and other reductions. All crew receive a rota to indicate when they are on duty. Crew are vital in introducing and retaining new dancers. The system would not work without them. OK so some do it for the wrong reasons, but they eventually get weeded out.

All crew receive a basic manual detailing their responsibilities and there are updates and crew days to ensure they carry out their roles effectively, especially if new or amended beginer moves are introduced.

What is hard about all that? :what:

I know Ceroc is a large organisation, but I am sure they could do the same IF they wanted to? Maybe it will happen as changes have been rollong over a long period since Mr Ellard took over. Time will tell.

Here, here... :yeah: ...now THAT'S what I've been trying to say!

Donna
12th-August-2005, 04:05 PM

mmmm...now that is what I call being ORGANISED!!! (unlike some people - name begins with N...you know who I mean??? :D :yeah: :yeah:

Dreadful Scathe
12th-August-2005, 04:15 PM

Thats what happens to Ceroc Taxi dancers in Scotland anyway.

I think 'Krew' would be a suitably grungy label for your modern taxi dancer though :)

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 04:19 PM
I know Ceroc is a large organisation, but I am sure they could do the same IF they wanted to? Maybe it will happen as changes have been rollong over a long period since Mr Ellard took over. Time will tell.You have fallen into the same trap as many others in speaking about "Ceroc" as though it was one organisation. It's not - it's a collection of individual franchises, run by individual franchisees - all of whom are to some extent in competition with each other. There's no great incentive for franchises to standardise the way they use their taxi-dancers since each franchisee is no doubt happy that they themselves have struck the perfect balance between duties, rewards and so on. And if they didn't, they wouldn't need Mike Ellard to fix it for them - they would change it themselves.

Ceroc Enterprises Ltd. doesn't have absolute control over how each franchisee operates - which is a great strength of the franchise system in that management time is not wasted micromanaging teeny details of each evening from a distant 'head office'.

Donna
12th-August-2005, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=Dreadful Scathe]Now with NEW added baby[QUOTE]

oooo eye, what's this all about then???

Donna
12th-August-2005, 04:23 PM
You have fallen into the same trap as many others in speaking about "Ceroc" as though it was one organisation. It's not - it's a collection of individual franchises, run by individual franchisees - all of whom are to some extent in competition with each other.

Dazzle does know this.

Dreadful Scathe
12th-August-2005, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=Dreadful Scathe]Now with NEW added baby[QUOTE]

oooo eye, what's this all about then???
Old news. She's 4 weeks old now and has started part time in McDonalds to help support my sherbert habit.

Donna
12th-August-2005, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=Donna][QUOTE=Dreadful Scathe]Now with NEW added baby
Old news. She's 4 weeks old now and has started part time in McDonalds to help support my sherbert habit.

:eek: :rofl:

You know i've got a baby smurf at home....you pull the cord on it's back and it shoots across the floor. Bet you can't travel that fast eh smurf??

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 04:29 PM
Dazzle does know this.It's not just Dazzle who writes as though Ceroc were a huge monolith controlled in every aspect from on high by a certain M. Ellard esq.

Dazzle
12th-August-2005, 04:47 PM
It's not just Dazzle who writes as though Ceroc were a huge monolith controlled in every aspect from on high by a certain M. Ellard esq.

Yes Ceroc is a franchise, probably one of the smallest in existence if you think of MacDonalds, Amway, and so on. The idea of the franchise, and I have been involved in a few in my time, IS to take away the local issues from a central control point BUT the product is standard across the board, and people know that when they enter within they get the same treatment and so on. That also applies to staff as well. McDonalds staff have a staff card and can get free meals at ANY restaurant they visit. That is the point I am trying to make.

I for one am not saying that every Ceroc night should be a clone of every other, God forbid! But the public image and terms and conditions should be I would have thought. The whole strength of Ceroc is its national size and image. I know modern jive is a fickle business but I would have thought it made more sense for like venues to work "together". Most franchises seem to be set distances apart, maybe the London rivalry is an exception, due to the population concentration, they can be closer together?

Certainly in my area, many competing organisations have relatively good relationships, there are exceptions. On the whole, it works well. Same group venues all work together with cross-promotion.

TiggsTours
12th-August-2005, 05:09 PM
You have fallen into the same trap as many others in speaking about "Ceroc" as though it was one organisation. It's not - it's a collection of individual franchises, run by individual franchisees - all of whom are to some extent in competition with each other. There's no great incentive for franchises to standardise the way they use their taxi-dancers since each franchisee is no doubt happy that they themselves have struck the perfect balance between duties, rewards and so on. And if they didn't, they wouldn't need Mike Ellard to fix it for them - they would change it themselves.

I think you'll find McDonalds is a series of Franchises, standardisation doesn't seem to have done them any harm!

TiggsTours
12th-August-2005, 05:13 PM
Contrary to popular opinion, Ceroc is NOT solely owned by Mike Ellard.

TiggsTours
12th-August-2005, 05:15 PM
So, going back to my original question about how people feel, can I sumarise this by saying that:

The majority of people agree that there is inaccuracy across franchises of a taxi dancers duties, and remuneration, but there is alot of strong feeling both for and against this being adressed.

David Bailey
12th-August-2005, 05:23 PM
Typical, I'm just about to go home and people post interesting points... :rolleyes:

Ceroc Enterprises Ltd. doesn't have absolute control over how each franchisee operates - which is a great strength of the franchise system in that management time is not wasted micromanaging teeny details of each evening from a distant 'head office'.
I do agree with this (in fact I think I made a similar argument upthread). Taxis are employed by the franchisee, not by Ceroc, and should take their queries / requests to their franchisee / taxi-dancer manager.

However, as Dazzles says, the whole rationale / justification for a big overall organisation like Ceroc (from a dancer's point of view) is to provide a balance between standardisation and individuality. Hence the "standard script" for beginners moves.

And to my mind, especially in a franchise-thick area such as "around London", this balance should include standard treatment (training, conditions, and remuneration) for taxi dancers.

But the chances of this happening (i.e. adjacent franchises cooperating rather than competing) are probably low.

The only way I can see general taxi-treatment improving is for the taxis to request things like training, manuals, etc., as described in some of the "best practice" posts in this and other threads.

And of course, Asif's taxi dancer discussion group (www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CerocTaxiDancers), assuming it takes off, could help promote best-practice, hints & tips etc.

I think you'll find McDonalds is a series of Franchises, standardisation doesn't seem to have done them any harm!
In the sense of the McLibel issue, "Super-Size Me", the "anti-health-food" image, and the "uncaring giant" stereotype, standardisation has indeed recently done them quite a bit of harm - every McD's is tarred with the same brush.

And if you look at the recent marketing campaign (footballers with fruit), they're spending vast amounts of marketing cash to alleviate this issue.

There's a balance - and with this issue, I believe the balance should be to having more standards. With other issues (e.g. beginner's moves), I think it should be the other way around. But then, I'm not in charge :)

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 05:41 PM
I think you'll find McDonalds is a series of Franchises, standardisation doesn't seem to have done them any harm!I don't dispute that. My point was simply that it isn't just a matter of one man in London shouting 'jump' and having every franchisee ask 'how high?'. McDonalds has everything tied down from the start. Ceroc isn't that way.

Russell Saxby
12th-August-2005, 06:01 PM
Have gone into this before on other threads, but anyway ... Where I instruct, instructors, franchisees, demos, and crew dancers (so as not to pick any affiliation!) receive a crew pass for their trouble. This entitles them to free entry on all class nights and freestyles at all venues in the group.

Thanks for info - out of curiosity, how many venues in the group?

And what happened to the one in the back of a pub just outside Teesside, went there a year or so back, but does not appear on the Blitz website. Am sure the village began with a 'B' but for the life of me cannot remember. We may have even danced there, the teacher was a pretty blonde :flower:

I know Ceroc is a large organisation, but I am sure they could do the same IF they wanted to?

I mentioned in a previous post that I took the time and effort to provide a list of all my taxis to enable them to gain entry to not so far venue in a different franchise, and none took advantage of this opportunity. Why would I want to go to the effort of keeping an up to date list of all taxis in the whole country. Ceroc Kent who neighbour us had 84 taxi at one point, and have opened more venues since then - so I guess they must have 100 or so by now. So lord knows how many there are in England and Scotland combined, the logistics of keeping an up to date list would be a nightmare. Lets be honest, the majority of them are never likely to come dancing in Greenwich - how many of them bothered to come to see the Dome.

And I can hear cries of "database", but before anyone does, this is a tool for use by individual franchises, there is not one central database.

Typical, I'm just about to go home and people post interesting points... :rolleyes:

:yeah:

I do agree with this (in fact I think I made a similar argument upthread). Taxis are employed by the franchisee, not by Ceroc, and should take their queries / requests to their franchisee / taxi-dancer manager.

The only way I can see general taxi-treatment improving is for the taxis to request things like training, manuals, etc., as described in some of the "best practice" posts in this and other threads.

And of course, Asif's taxi dancer discussion group (www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CerocTaxiDancers), assuming it takes off, could help promote best-practice, hints & tips etc.

Ceroc HQ set up an intranet site at the beginning of the year. Taxis have access to the taxi section within in it, where they can find all sorts of useful tips. Speak to your Franchise owner for more info.

There is also the Taxi Dancer section on this forum, if you are a Taxi dancer and do not have access to it email Franck

Russell :waycool:

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 06:07 PM
And I can hear cries of "database", but before anyone does, this is a tool for use by individual franchises, there is not one central database.I believe that there is a central database of Ceroc customers - correct me if I'm wrong. Seeing as Taxi Dancers start off as vanilla members, it would take the addition of one column to the database to enable members to be identified as taxi-dancers.

Russell Saxby
12th-August-2005, 06:09 PM
I believe that there is a central database of Ceroc customers - correct me if I'm wrong. Seeing as Taxi Dancers start off as vanilla members, it would take the addition of one column to the database to enable members to be identified as taxi-dancers.

Sorry but you are mistaken, there is not a Central Database. As I said it is an individual tool used by Franchises

:cheers:

Russell Saxby
12th-August-2005, 06:11 PM
but then again I expect no less from an ass :flower:

great signature by the way.

bigdjiver
12th-August-2005, 06:16 PM
McDonalds started small, and made their mistakes, but have since written a substantial part of the franchising book. :devil: James Cronin seems not to have read all of it :devil: which may be why Ceroc fragmented as it did. Mike seems to me to be working in the right direction in that he has persuaded some of the rebels back to the fold.

Taxi dancers are very much in the shop window, part of the public perception of the brand, and one theory is that they should look, act, and be treated, pretty much the same everywhere. In practice it cannot work like that. For example, free admission to all Ceroc venues would mean one thing in London, practically nothing at all in the extremities.

The Weatherspoons operation has its outlets all preserve something of their own character, and only the core part of the business is standardised.

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 06:17 PM
Sorry but you are mistaken, there is not a Central Database. As I said it is an individual tool used by Franchises

:cheers:Does your swipe-card system data not get 'replicated' back to HQ?

DavidY
12th-August-2005, 06:25 PM
Ceroc HQ set up an intranet site at the beginning of the year. Taxis have access to the taxi section within in it, where they can find all sorts of useful tips. Speak to your Franchise owner for more info.I knew nothing of this (and I've taxiied for a couple of years now). It doesn't look like they're exactly going out of their way to call attention to it.

Is it just me that hadn't heard of it (amongst Ceroc Taxi dancers that is)?

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 06:27 PM
I knew nothing of this (and I've taxiied for a couple of years now). It doesn't look like they're exactly going out of their way to call attention to it.

Is it just me that hadn't heard of it (amongst Ceroc Taxi dancers that is)?I've taxied on and off for the last four years. I knew there was an Intranet site for franchisees and teachers, but I'd not heard of a Taxi section.

Russell Saxby
12th-August-2005, 06:34 PM
Does your swipe-card system data not get 'replicated' back to HQ?

Nope never has been the case. Which is why when you visit a different franchise. You will be asked to complete a membership form so they can add your details to their database - I remember there was a lot of "comments" about that a while back on this forum.

To be honest I have enough on my plate without having to download / upload data for the whole country once a week.

Greenwich was one of the first franchises to pilot the original database about 3 years ago. I am not even sure if all franchises now use the database.

Russell

DavidY
12th-August-2005, 06:38 PM
Does your swipe-card system data not get 'replicated' back to HQ?Some of us don't even have a swipe card - I assume that's only certain franchises?

El Salsero Gringo
Nope never has been the case. Which is why when you visit a different franchise. You will be asked to complete a membership form so they can add your details to their database - I remember there was a lot of "comments" about that a while back on this forum.

To be honest I have enough on my plate without having to download / upload data for the whole country once a week.

Greenwich was one of the first franchises to pilot the original database about 3 years ago. I am not even sure if all franchises now use the database.

RussellAh OK. I know a lot of work has been done on the subject of membership databases and replication over the last year(s) or so, but I might well have caught the wrong end of the stick regarding the details and extent. I'm glad to have been put right.

Cruella
I knew nothing of this (and I've taxiied for a couple of years now). It doesn't look like they're exactly going out of their way to call attention to it.

Is it just me that hadn't heard of it (amongst Ceroc Taxi dancers that is)?
As a Venue Manager i'd never heard of it either David. :sad:

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 06:39 PM
Some of us don't even have a swipe card - I assume that's only certain franchises?They were introduced in London over the last year, and I remember that back in January Ceroc Greenwich were using the system. Ceroc Metro's just started to use one recently at Finchley too. I don't know how widespread they are, other than that.

Russell Saxby
12th-August-2005, 06:42 PM
They were introduced in London over the last year, and I remember that back in January Ceroc Greenwich were using the system. Ceroc Metro's just started to use one recently at Finchley too. I don't know how widespread they are, other than that.

The database can be used with or without the swipe card facility. Some franchises may write numbers down and up date database back home.. we used to do it that way, but very time consuming - much easier for all involved to use the swipe system

Russell Saxby
12th-August-2005, 06:45 PM
Some of us don't even have a swipe card - I assume that's only certain franchises?

??? but you do have a membership card - if it has an x at the end of the membership no, then it can be swiped. If it has not got an x at the end then it will be upgraded at some point, more than likely by a franchise that actually swipes cards at the venue cos it will make it easier for them

it may just be that your franchise, whoever that is has not invested in the swipe card reader.

Russell

El Salsero Gringo
12th-August-2005, 06:49 PM
??? but you do have a membership card - if it has an x at the end of the membership no, then it can be swiped. If it has not got an x at the end then it will be upgraded at some point, more than likely by a franchise that actually swipes cards at the venue cos it will make it easier for them

it may just be that your franchise, whoever that is has not invested in the swipe card reader.

RussellWhat do you do if you lost your card back in 2001 and every time you go to a venue you make up a new membership number?

Not that I would ever countenance such a thing.

DavidY
12th-August-2005, 06:49 PM

RussellYep got a membership card, but no 'x' at the end of the number. No sign of a magnetic strip on it either.

Russell Saxby
12th-August-2005, 06:56 PM
What do you do if you lost your card back in 2001 and every time you go to a venue you make up a new membership number?

Not that I would ever countenance such a thing.

Well I don't, cos I didn't, so when I do, I don't need to.

Russell Saxby
12th-August-2005, 07:18 PM
And what happened to the one in the back of a pub just outside Teesside, went there a year or so back, but does not appear on the Blitz website. Am sure the village began with a 'B' but for the life of me cannot remember. We may have even danced there, the teacher was a pretty blonde :flower:

It has just come back to me Billingham methinks - has it closed??

Cruella
12th-August-2005, 07:21 PM
It has just come back to me Billingham methinks - has it closed??
Yes it has i'm afraid. That pretty blonde is my best mate, Lynn. She has a fabulous venue in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Am going up to a freestyle with Jivep on 8th October, can't wait. If you want to come too Russell, you'll be welcome. :flower:

David Bailey
12th-August-2005, 07:38 PM
Given:

As a Venue Manager i'd never heard of it either David. :sad:

I've taxied on and off for the last four years. I knew there was an Intranet site for franchisees and teachers, but I'd not heard of a Taxi section.
(And from me also, none of the Taxi Dancers I know know about this - I knew about the teacher and franchisee site too, but not this.)

Perhaps a little publicising of it wouldn't go amiss? :rolleyes:

TiggsTours
15th-August-2005, 09:28 AM
Why would I want to go to the effort of keeping an up to date list of all taxis in the whole country.

As I mentioned earlier, we all have membership cards for Ceroc, and they are all scanned on entry into any venue (or should be). It would be very easy for the membership status (member, teacher, demo, taxi, etc.) to be added to our details, and changed at any time, therefore, no need to supply a list of your crew to anyone, except Ceroc headoffice. Surely you do that anyway?

David Bailey
15th-August-2005, 09:55 AM
Surely you do that anyway?
Amazingly, apparently not - Ceroc doesn't seem to have a central database. Strange, but true.

Donna
15th-August-2005, 10:01 AM

:cheers:

I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for updating all the taxi's on a central database...it would drive me nuts!!! :what: So it's just as well it is an individual tool.

Donna
15th-August-2005, 10:16 AM
As I mentioned earlier, we all have membership cards for Ceroc, and they are all scanned on entry into any venue (or should be). It would be very easy for the membership status (member, teacher, demo, taxi, etc.) to be added to our details, and changed at any time, therefore, no need to supply a list of your crew to anyone, except Ceroc headoffice. Surely you do that anyway?

I've got a ceroc card which has been stuck in purse for 2 years and I thought what's the point in having one when they don't ask for it on entering a venue?? It was only when I went to Ceroc Manchester that for the first time EVER they asked me for it and swiped it. They must have had this planned for ages!!!

murphy
15th-August-2005, 10:25 AM
Re: the intranet site for taxis
We got told about this over six months ago. I would suggest if you don't have access, you ask your franchise owner to get the details for you. It's a useful place to point new taxis.