PDA

View Full Version : What time do you leave for work.

Gus
7th-August-2005, 09:54 AM
Idle thought hit me as I was trying to drag my sorry body out of bed and into the shower the other day .... I remembered (not too long ago) when I complained about having to drive through the post 8pm Manchester rush hour. Ahh ... what a luxury that now would be :rolleyes: When you have to set your alarm for a time earlier than 5.30 the there MUST be something wrong ... but I know I'm not alone. At least now the Piccadily line is running I dont have to walk for 20 mins to catch the 6.22!

So ... what time do you leave the house to get to work? (OK ... for homeworkers ... make us all sick ... what time do you ACTUALY start work ..... and that does not mean what time do you start sipping on a hot cup of Java)

Lynn
7th-August-2005, 12:15 PM
I work across the other side of Belfast from where I live. I don't have to drive through the city centre or motorways so I can avoid the worst of the traffic, and the slightly more roundabout route is just under 10 miles. To start at 9am at the moment I can leave at 8:40am. In term time that will go back to 8:15am due to schools traffic. :sad: But still not too long. I used to bus it (before I learnt to drive) and because I had to take 2 buses the quickest time was an hour.

ChrisA
7th-August-2005, 02:36 PM
OK ... for homeworkers ... make us all sick ... what time do you ACTUALLY start work ..... and that does not mean what time do you start sipping on a hot cup of Java

I usually start work shortly after 8am.

If I have nothing else to do, then from getting out of the shower to starting work is about 10 minutes.

It takes as long as that because I have to put the coffee on as well... gawd, life is so tough :whistle:

There's a downside to being in business on one's own account as well though - evenings and weekends will often contain a fair bit of work as well, and I started getting an income again recently... after two years without one.

So shut your whinging :rofl:

Gus
7th-August-2005, 04:37 PM
There's a downside to being in business on one's own account as well though - evenings and weekends will often contain a fair bit of work as well, and I started getting an income again recently... after two years without one.Hey ... I'm self employed aswell. I've got the same issues in trying to do my admin etc.(thats why I'm stuck in Manchester at the moment) ... AND work a standard 8 to 6 day ... AND got the same famine/feast problem (in 6 years as a consultant I've spent about half that time our of contract :sick: )

under par
7th-August-2005, 05:00 PM
Where is the option for "I am a shift worker and leave for work at various times of the day and night. :mad:

How inconsiderate. :flower:

Stuart
7th-August-2005, 05:17 PM
My office is only a 10 minute walk away from where I live and I'm normally in there just after 8. Its just far enough away for the coffee to cool down before I get there!

Gus
7th-August-2005, 05:31 PM
Where is the option for "I am a shift worker and leave for work at various times of the day and night. :mad:

How inconsiderate. :flower:How about "All the above"?

Cruella
7th-August-2005, 06:35 PM
Well i don't start until 9.15am and i work about 5mins walk from where i live. Plus i have school holidays off. Ooh it's a hard life!!! (But the moneys crap!!)

David Bailey
7th-August-2005, 06:55 PM
When you have to set your alarm for a time earlier than 5.30 the there MUST be something wrong ...
I'm sure M&L would agree with you on that one :)

But you should try three years of being woken up by the dulcet tones of a baby wanting food / changing / etc., that's a real alarm. If only toddlers had a snooze button... :tears:

Feelingpink
7th-August-2005, 07:20 PM
I usually start work shortly after 8am.

If I have nothing else to do, then from getting out of the shower to starting work is about 10 minutes.

It takes as long as that because I have to put the coffee on as well... gawd, life is so tough :whistle:

There's a downside to being in business on one's own account as well though - evenings and weekends will often contain a fair bit of work as well, and I started getting an income again recently... after two years without one.

So shut your whinging :rofl:
:yeah: since I also work for myself, although I doubt his slippers are as fetching as mine :wink:

Sometimes I start about 7am and after a late dance night, it can be after 9am. I also see clients in the evenings and work a lot of weekends ... so there is a balance. But since my clients are pretty nice people who are fun to work with, and I adore what I do, I wouldn't want it any other way :clap:

Daisy
7th-August-2005, 09:32 PM
WHAT's WORK?

Sorry to rub it in!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aleks
7th-August-2005, 09:52 PM
I don't....and I hardly ever book a client in before 10.15

However, I often work evenings and weekends.

Piglet
7th-August-2005, 10:22 PM
Plus i have school holidays off.

:yeah: Me too! Yippee! But they're nearly over :tears:

I leave just after 7.30, drop my son off on the way and get into work at 8 on a good morning and 8.20 on a bad one! I'm also stupid enough to sometimes go in during the school holidays, but then again my plants would probably die if I didn't......

drathzel
7th-August-2005, 10:26 PM
I leave between 8:30 and 8:40! I only live 10 mins from work. Used to leave before 8 in my old job!

Chicklet
8th-August-2005, 09:19 AM
I am looking forward to leaving for work some time around November, Insh'allah. Working from home I find I do far more hours than I would if I was able to get into the office, I often wake at 6ish and log on for a few hours , then have to lie down a while and am back on lunch time ish until maybe 8 or 9 - when the rest of one's collegues are in California, this can work quite well, but I'm hoping they don't get too used to it when I'm fit for a proper 9 - 6 again and can do something far more fun with my evenings!

clevedonboy
8th-August-2005, 09:20 AM
Work from home so rarely have to leave for work

qjohn
8th-August-2005, 09:45 AM
Leave for work about 0815, it's then about a 15-20 min walk (depending how busy Costa's is) getting me in about 0830 ish. In the evening it's about a 1hr walk home as I have to pass Virgin, Fopp, HMV and Ottakers on the way :o

Lynn
8th-August-2005, 10:00 AM
Until fairly recently I was working from home for part of the week. And yes, no travel time, and you can get up and start working straightaway - but I also worked more evenings, weekends etc and sometimes came home from one job and started into the other. You think when you are working from home that the problem would be in being disciplined to start, but I found it harder to be disciplined to stop!

My current job pays peanuts, but I work with some lovely people which makes up for it a bit!

Lory
8th-August-2005, 12:19 PM
:confused: I don't what I must have been thinking when I clicked before 6am, I never start work till after 9! :blush:

Rhythm King
8th-August-2005, 12:39 PM
Sometimes I start about 7am and after a late dance night, it can be after 9am.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But she does work late at times

Little Monkey
8th-August-2005, 01:19 PM
I normally get up at about...... 9-ish.... Or whenever my dog needs to go out. :D Then I have breakfast in bed, whilst going through my mail. Then I take my dog for a walk, and very often take her with me to my studio....

My work hours can be anything - from 30 minutes to about 15 hours! October and the beginning of November is normally really busy, as all the galleries need work for the exhibitions by the end of November, and I normally have loads of orders for Christmas. Oh, and sometimes I can work until about 3am, if I have firings on...... Have also been known to go back to work for a few hours after dancing. :(

So - I love the flexible hours and not having a boss. But I'm not so happy about never having money, and having to save like mad for teensy things like other people can just go and buy whenever they want/need it.... Therefore I'm starting my new job as a Norwegian tutor in October, and am on the lookout for other regular, paid, part-time work, too....

Poor but Happy (?) Monkey

KatieR
8th-August-2005, 02:22 PM
Well, I just resigned from my job so in about a months time I wont have to get up at all!

Rhythm King
8th-August-2005, 02:44 PM
Well, I just resigned from my job so in about a months time I wont have to get up at all!

:clap: Yay! Now move to London, get a temp job and come dancing lots, while you figure out how to get a proper job and stay here!!

KatieR
9th-August-2005, 10:52 AM
:clap: Yay! Now move to London, get a temp job and come dancing lots, while you figure out how to get a proper job and stay here!!

Thats the plan! OH, by the way, there is something in the sofa room waiting for you! :whistle:

Dizzy
9th-August-2005, 12:04 PM
At the moment, I leave for work at 8.30am but hope to change jobs soon so could change. :whistle:

Alykat
9th-August-2005, 08:50 PM
It just depends where I'm sent to work on each day. Last Monday I left at 4.45 AM :sick: for an 8.30 meeting in Birmingham.

If I need to get up to Head Office then I leave at about 7 -7.30 ish.

If I have no meetings and am working from home ( :cool: ) then I roll out of bed at about 9ish and log on!

Mind you this morning I left the house at, erm, 11am :blush: . (Only just finished work now though!). I know, poor excuse. :blush:

Missy D
12th-August-2005, 08:53 AM
I get up at 7am and often go for a run or to the gym before starting work at 9.30am!

I work right opposite where i live so no travelling involved. Its really not good having work so close as i can never throw a sickie. Guarantee boss will come over to see if i am really ill :eek:

angelique
12th-August-2005, 03:01 PM
Have read this with great interest and am amazed at how many people work from home. Being a nurse thats not an option (thank god really) so my minds focus is on getting up and going out to work.
Will people be terribly kind and help me further my knowledge and let me know what work they do from home???? :flower:
Sorry to appear particularly dense...doh! :blush:

Purple Sparkler
12th-August-2005, 04:37 PM
In my shiny new job, I leave for work at 8, with the aim of being at work from 9-6 with an hour for lunch. Thanks to flexitime this would mean that by going straight to Ceroc from work, I can wangle Friday afternoons off! HURRAH!