PDA

View Full Version : Dance cravings?

Lynn
5th-August-2005, 10:09 AM
OK - I know it would be silly to ask who gets 'dance cravings' :whistle: but I wondered how long do you have to be without dancing before you really, really want to dance again? I haven't danced for 7 weeks now and its about another 6 till Southport - which would make it about 3 months with no dancing. (I do plan to organise an evening before Southport, but I often spend those evenings focusing on any new folk and only get a couple of good dances.)

I was fine about this, until this week - probably because I was very busy with other things, but have now got to the stage where I really, really want to dance! So much so that if I could afford it I would jump on a plane and come over for some dancing! I wondered what is the longest you have gone without dancing before you really craved more? And how much/quickly does your dancing deteriorate with a long gap?

And has anyone any suggestions for how to get my dancing back up to speed before the next Southport?

Andreas
5th-August-2005, 01:51 PM
I used to dance between 5 and 7 nights every week and during those years I tended to get withdrawal symptoms (when on holidays) after 3 days latest.

Nowadays it is about 4-5 days w/o dancing that make me feel bad. I guess I had to adjust to a lack of time at long last :(

Donna
5th-August-2005, 02:16 PM
OK - I know it would be silly to ask who gets 'dance cravings' :whistle: but I wondered how long do you have to be without dancing before you really, really want to dance again? I haven't danced for 7 weeks now and its about another 6 till Southport - which would make it about 3 months with no dancing. (I do plan to organise an evening before Southport, but I often spend those evenings focusing on any new folk and only get a couple of good dances.)

I was fine about this, until this week - probably because I was very busy with other things, but have now got to the stage where I really, really want to dance! So much so that if I could afford it I would jump on a plane and come over for some dancing! I wondered what is the longest you have gone without dancing before you really craved more? And how much/quickly does your dancing deteriorate with a long gap?

And has anyone any suggestions for how to get my dancing back up to speed before the next Southport?

Dunno....longest I stopped dancing for was when i was on holiday for two weeks...then i already have massive withdrawal symptoms. I dance every night of the week anyway oh apart from some Friday's and sunday nights of course. It's like food...can't live without it.

Lynn
5th-August-2005, 07:32 PM
I guess the more frequently you dance, the more 'addiction' you have and the quicker you get cravings! I was used to only dancing once a month anyway, and had been on some weekenders earlier in the year. But I had a very busy week last week and would just love to go out and dance for an evening. I think its been all the talk of good music on some recent threads has really made me want to dance!

Has anyone who has had a break of 3 months, whether enforced or voluntary, any tips for how to get back onto form? My plan was to get up and dance as much as I can the first night at Southport as I find the more I dance the more I get back onto form!

Andreas
5th-August-2005, 08:47 PM
... any tips for how to get back onto form? My plan was to get up and dance as much as I can the first night at Southport as I find the more I dance the more I get back onto form!

:yeah: :yeah:

When I moved from NZ to the UK I had something like 4-6 weeks off, which got easier the longer you sustained it. Up to a certain point anyway. But it was pretty devastating to see the drop in level, once I started again. I still have periods where I actually have to think about moves, which did only happen in the first two years of my dancing. So it is hard to recover in a way. But it is also an opportunity to change :waycool:

Lynn
6th-August-2005, 02:15 PM
But it was pretty devastating to see the drop in level, once I started again. Tell me about it! :tears: Last year I think I had 2 gaps of 3 months each, this year I am in the middle of another one. I really notice it when I go on weekenders - I notice my level has really dropped at the start - though the 'drop' is getting less low each time which is a bit encouraging and hopefully one way or another we will have more regular dancing here soon. :grin:

Meanwhile, I'm off to salsa tonight - though my salsa dancing is much worse than my MJ! :rofl:

bigdjiver
6th-August-2005, 09:08 PM
It is just over 24 hours, and I want to do last night again.

Lynn
7th-August-2005, 12:22 PM
Meanwhile, I'm off to salsa tonight - though my salsa dancing is much worse than my MJ! :rofl: Well my dance craving isn't as bad as it might seem... I did stop by the salsa last night to see a friend, but didn't go in. I couldn't stay for too long and it was £10 in and didn't want to pay £10 for only 1/2 hour or so! :rofl: I would have paid £5 and not worried at all about long I had stayed. (And it wasn't the actual cost as someone else was going to pay it for me). I think it was also because my salsa is so rusty.

Going this afternoon to a local park event - jazz band, African drums, salsa and Argentinian and Cuban dances, food and craft stalls. :waycool: And its a beautiful sunny afternoon! :clap:

Lynn
9th-August-2005, 12:41 AM
Woohoo! I was dancing tonight! :clap: :clap: :clap:

A guy here was at Herrang, has come back all enthused to get some swing going, so he showed us a few basic moves, then there was about 2 hours of slow swing music to practice. As all the guys there were also MJers (and had been to Southport) we did a bit of lindy moves practice and a bit of our own thing. The music was fab - and so was the venue, it was like a mini blues room. :drool:

And the most fabulous thing about it was that I didn't have to organise any of it! :waycool:

And the even better thing is that its on again next Monday night! :clap:

Donna
9th-August-2005, 03:15 PM
Woohoo! I was dancing tonight! :clap: :clap: :clap:

A guy here was at Herrang, has come back all enthused to get some swing going, so he showed us a few basic moves, then there was about 2 hours of slow swing music to practice. As all the guys there were also MJers (and had been to Southport) we did a bit of lindy moves practice and a bit of our own thing. The music was fab - and so was the venue, it was like a mini blues room. :drool:

And the most fabulous thing about it was that I didn't have to organise any of it! :waycool:

And the even better thing is that its on again next Monday night! :clap:

Sounds good fun. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of swing myself actually. After all, learining a different style is good for improving ya jive.