PDA

View Full Version : Dips and drops - stupid questions

Jayne
19th-December-2002, 03:03 PM
I'll admit upfront that these are stupid questions but I'll ask them anyway.... (...we're all friends here...)

...what's the difference between a dip and a drop? Is there one? Guys that I've danced with - were they drops or dips (or sheer exhaustion... :what: ) you were doing?

See, said it was stupid.

Thanks in advance for the clarification though!

Jayne
:confused:

PeterL
19th-December-2002, 03:22 PM
I may be stupid as well.:o and consider this a very good question.
I was under the impression that it was a metter of degrees if you dip a girl you don't lower them very far. If you drop them you do.

I am dying to find out if there is an actual difference.:confused:

Jayne
19th-December-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by PeterL
I may be stupid as well.:o and consider this a very good question.
~snip~
I am dying to find out if there is an actual difference.:confused:

Thanks Peter & ditto!

Jayne
:nice:

Dreadful Scathe
19th-December-2002, 03:41 PM
Ive always thought of a dip as something where the woman does not rely on the guy to support her in anyway - a drop is a move where she could be relying on him to support her. As others have said, drops will be taught where the woman always supports herself but that may not be the case later (or with people who through you to the floor anyway).

PeterL
19th-December-2002, 03:51 PM
So is it the case that a dip and a drop are synonymous and just a matter of degrees.

I remember recently being taught a move multiple times in a short space of time. Alison and Obi taught it as a slight lean whilst other teachers taught it as a dip. It was the one where the lady is spun out of a basket stopped and then you twist to dip/lean her.

So the question is where does a lean become a dip -become a drop.

one case of a definite drop would be moves where ladies are supported by the hands only I have come accross this once in a class but never attempted it. The signal is similar to that of a secret move I think.

Jayne
19th-December-2002, 04:01 PM
one case of a definite drop would be moves where ladies are supported by the hands only I have come accross this once in a class but never attempted it. The signal is similar to that of a secret move I think.

That's the move I was thinking of. After DS's first post I was wondering if I was doing this one wrong and maybe I should have my leg tucked up my back somewhere to support myself as I was dipped/dropped floorwards :sick: I've never been taught it but do it anyway... (comments on that should go in another thread, thanks..)

Jayne
:nice:

Gus
19th-December-2002, 04:06 PM

I was under the impression that it was a metter of degrees if you dip a girl you don't lower them very far. If you drop them you do.

For the most part I think its a question of terminology .... somewhere along the line I got (echoing DS);

Dip: Lady is totaly in control of own weight (e.g. Gus Hug, Quaver)

Drop: The lady is in a position where she is taking most of her weight (e.g. 1st move drop)

Seducer: Lady is totaly reliant on the Man (e.g. low level drop, neck seducer)

.....of course as you can see from my description, the name of the move may not describe the difference in reliance. The Ballroom drop is about the most extremem drop as the lady is prcatically horizontal...

So ..... does it matter what the moves are called?? Maybe it helps people understand the degrees of competence, trust and weight absorbtion needed by both parties.

Graham
19th-December-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Gus
So ..... does it matter what the moves are called?? Maybe it helps people understand the degrees of competence, trust and weight absorbtion needed by both parties.
Weight absorption??? I thought we were talking about dancing, not cannibalism! :really: :wink:

Ronde!
28th-December-2002, 11:39 PM
I thought it was a dip if the man provides physical support through the whole move; and a drop if there's a heartstopping moment where gravity has most of the say, apart from what the lady takes on herself.

So it's defined from a Male perspective - if the man isn't physically carrying the weight of the lady, even for a moment, it's a "drop," (e.g. Swan Drop, Tango Drop, Nose Dive) otherwise, it's a "dip" (e.g. all the Winder Dips, Astaire Dip, Salsa Dip, Sway Tornado Dip, Roaster etc.).

The other classification method for Dips 'n' Drops is "Extension" and "Contraction" drops (from a Female perspective this time). Contractions drops are generally where the man supports the lady through the hands alone, with the lady's bottom near the floor and her stomach concave; one of her feet may kick up towards the man's head for style and/or revenge. Extension dips and drops are where the lady's stomach is convex or flat, and the lady's foot generally slides out along the floor for style.

Leo