PDA

View Full Version : Hipsters/Cheshunt or OTHER this Friday?

Zebra Woman
1st-August-2005, 11:13 AM
So who is going where this Friday 5th August?

And why? :devil:

This poll is now public (anonymous was pretty pointless :blush: )

ZW :flower:

LMC
1st-August-2005, 11:20 AM
Deja vu :eek:

Cheshunt for me (easy decision, it's free and 30 minutes drive - or less, depending on how much rubber I want to burn down the A10)

Lory
1st-August-2005, 11:23 AM
I confess, I'm waiting a bit longer, to see who's going where on the poll! :blush: :D

El Salsero Gringo
1st-August-2005, 11:26 AM
I confess, I'm waiting a bit longer, to see who's going where on the poll! :blush: :DNow you're in trouble - which group of people are you going to risk upsetting?

under par
1st-August-2005, 11:28 AM
Now you're in trouble - which group of people are you going to risk upsetting?

The group washing their hair! :wink:

Cruella
1st-August-2005, 11:31 AM
I confess, I'm waiting a bit longer, to see who's going where on the poll! :blush: :D
Shamelessly, me too.

ducasi
1st-August-2005, 12:17 PM
The group washing their hair! :wink:
Don't worry – as the only person washing their hair so-far, and with no dancing planned at all this weekend – I'm already upset. :tears:

tsh
1st-August-2005, 12:42 PM
Bedford - it's closest, and I've not been to a freestyle there before.

Sparkles
1st-August-2005, 01:51 PM
Have been invited to a party with my ex-flatmates this Friday and said I'd go ages ago, so I won't be dancing at all on friday :tears:.

S. x

Andy McGregor
1st-August-2005, 03:39 PM
I will be DJ at a Soul & Motown night in Shoreham - it's not an MJ night but MJers do come. If you're over 35 you'll love these nights - if you're under 30 you probably won't get it. But, most Motown is right for MJ so we get a good crowd of MJers dancing by the stage :clap:

Mary
1st-August-2005, 03:47 PM
Now this Friday is a toughie. There's Adam's shameless temptations for Cheshunt, but then I haven't been to a BPFF for ages (too crowded the only times I have been), or there is Twyford with it's beautiful floor (and Simon, Nicole, Bex etc), or maybe even WCS at Surbiton - I have a lot of lessons to catch up.

Think I may have to put numbers into a hat.

M

Minnie M
1st-August-2005, 05:07 PM
I'll be at "Camp Savoy" Ryan (remember Ryan, he was a judge on SDF) & Jenny Francois' Lindy weekend at Surrey University with the amazing Casey Magill :worthy:

SilverFox
1st-August-2005, 06:05 PM

Shamelessly, me too.

Obviously, I'm waiting to see where you two go first...... :innocent:

wicked blue
1st-August-2005, 06:54 PM
Now this Friday is a toughie. There's Adam's shameless temptations for Cheshunt, but then I haven't been to a BPFF for ages (too crowded the only times I have been), or there is Twyford with it's beautiful floor (and Simon, Nicole, Bex etc), or maybe even WCS at Surbiton - I have a lot of lessons to catch up.

Think I may have to put numbers into a hat.

M

I'm fairly sure that i had an email a while back saying that surbiton wcs nights had been stopped over the summer.... don't quote me though..

under par
1st-August-2005, 06:58 PM

WHATS THE PLAN THEN? :wink:

Visit alternative venue or join them!!! :confused:

Spice 'n' Easy
1st-August-2005, 10:07 PM

Shamelessly, me too.

and it probably goes without saying that i'm waiting to see where you three are going to go........... :whistle:

Northants Girly
1st-August-2005, 10:14 PM
and it probably goes without saying that i'm waiting to see where you three are going to go........... :whistle:Nevermind them Mr Spice - come with me instead :wink:

Yogi_Bear
1st-August-2005, 10:35 PM
There are two realistic options travelling from Norwich:
1 Cheshunt, with a DWAS competition :eek:
2 Bedford Corn Exchange, always a good night..
A difficult one! I may be unable to decide and have a quiet night in instead :sad:

Spice 'n' Easy
1st-August-2005, 10:58 PM
and it probably goes without saying that i'm waiting to see where you three are going to go........... :whistle:

Nevermind them Mr Spice - come with me instead :wink:

Oooooohhhh! :flower: I didn't know that you were in the equation as well. Now that changes everything :hug:

What's the third option for this Friday? :wink:

Allez-Cat
2nd-August-2005, 12:05 AM
Oi! Grossly unfair ZW - where are you going?

Simon r
2nd-August-2005, 08:53 AM
guess we will be at Twyford ...... :whistle:

Little Em
2nd-August-2005, 09:04 AM
guess we will be at Twyford ...... :whistle:

really? that will be unusual! :really:
:rofl:

:hug: :hug:

Cruella
2nd-August-2005, 09:06 AM
OK. As we are all waiting to see where each other is going. Here's a Pro / Con list in my view. This is all heresay for Cheshunt as i've never been before. So feel free to edit if you know differently.

Hipsters / Cheshunt
Not air conditioned / Air conditioned
Really busy floor / Don't know how busy!
Class / DWAS
Good floor / Good floor
Payment required / Free entry
Huge car park / Huge car park
DJ Jon Brett / DJ Robin and Tez
Makeshift bar / Bar
Table if you get there early/ Reserved table for forumites
No tea/coffee/cakes / Tea/coffee/cakes
Distance (For me this is equal) Distance
1am finish / midnight finish

I know which is looking the more attractive venue for me, but without the right people........

Lory
2nd-August-2005, 09:34 AM
Hipsters / Cheshunt

Excellent analogy Cruella :worthy:

Now, where's everyone going? :cool:

.................................................. ....

Hey, I Know, let's ask the Dj's.....

OK boy's, let's hear it, who's tastes will YOU be catering for? :wink:

Give us a flavour of what we can look forward too! :waycool:

spindr
2nd-August-2005, 10:10 AM
Think I'll probably end up at Hipsters -- some friends are wandering along -- and there's an excellent Salsa class / freestyle that I can mix and match with.

Course if I'm knackered I might just end up at GingerJive at Greenham.

SpinDr.

Paul F
2nd-August-2005, 10:39 AM
Looks like I might be down South (again) this Friday so I am going to join the "waiting to see where everyone is going" queue.
Its not my fault. Im British , queueing is just what I do!! :)

I have been to both Cheshunt and Hipsters and both are great. I am being slightly swayed by the air conditioning at Cheshunt though. Makes for a much more comfortable night.
If Hipsters is as busy as people say its gonna be mighty toasty :sick:

Sheepman
2nd-August-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm fairly sure that i had an email a while back saying that surbiton wcs nights had been stopped over the summer.... don't quote me though.. There was an email saying that, but then there was another saying re-arrangements had been made, so for the weeks that Paul is not available, Cat will be teaching, So I'll probably be at Surbiton, followed by the last hour at BFFF.

Greg

Zebra Woman
2nd-August-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey, I Know, let's ask the Dj's.....

OK boy's, let's hear it, who's tastes will YOU be catering for? :wink:

Give us a flavour of what we can look forward too! :waycool:

I'm also completely undecided :sick:

Yes come on DJ's what will you be mostly playing?

60, 70's, Motown, 80's Glam Rock, Fast Lindy ,Rock&Roll, Merengue, Pink Martini, Nu-Tango, Luscious Blues, Slow Latin, Pop, R&B, Slow Swing.....???

Chef
2nd-August-2005, 11:35 AM
There was an email saying that, but then there was another saying re-arrangements had been made, so for the weeks that Paul is not available, Cat will be teaching, So I'll probably be at Surbiton, followed by the last hour at BFFF.

Greg

Hmmm. Now this has thrown a spanner in the works. We WERE going to BFFF but after having done the superb WCS course with Cat at Beach Boogie we are keen to keep on our roll with this dance. So Surbiton is looking the better option.

The last time we went to BFFF (last month) we found the lessons superb, but the place was so crowded that it was very difficult to actually dance because so much of your concentration is taken up with avoiding being hit or hitting other people. It seems to be the "London problem". Great lessons, great dancers, just no space to get the best out of either.

I think Commis Chef and I may opt for the great WCS lessons at Surbiton then clear off before the crowding spoils the enjoyment of the evening.

Is there any way to change our vote now?

Lynn
2nd-August-2005, 11:48 AM
OK, maybe not actually staying in but not dancing :tears: Weather permitting a nice evening walk might be an option, or dinner out somewhere.

LMC
2nd-August-2005, 11:53 AM
Oooooh, I don't know what to do now :tears: - if there isn't going to be many people I know at Cheshunt then I might have to change my mind and come to Hipsters...

What the hell, I'm a woman, I'm allowed to be inconsistent

*sits back and awaits developments*

Simon r
2nd-August-2005, 11:54 AM
The last time we went to BFFF (last month) we found the lessons superb, but the place was so crowded that it was very difficult to actually dance because so much of your concentration is taken up with avoiding being hit or hitting other people. It seems to be the "London problem". Great lessons, great dancers, just no space to get the best out of either.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

hence why we dont make the effort to go anymore ....
also to many attitudes in one room all trying to out shine each other....
give me the home counties any day

stewart38
2nd-August-2005, 11:56 AM
There is Chesham of course for those that want a early night if there going to Barcelona the next day :whistle:

LMC
2nd-August-2005, 12:05 PM
*still in indecisive mode*

Hipsters will be an absolute ******d transport-wise - will probably have to leave before the end to catch the train - but currently looks like the favoured option with most of the folks on here?

I might not know anyone at Cheshunt and it only goes on half an hour longer than Chesham (where I always have a fantastic time)

Or I could stay in and do something useful, although I'd have to be careful not to stand underneath the flying pigs...

Mary
2nd-August-2005, 12:54 PM
Still can't decide. :tears: :tears:

Oh, and Tony is now available to come and to play on Friday. :clap:

M

stewart38
2nd-August-2005, 01:04 PM
Deja vu :eek:

Cheshunt for me (easy decision, it's free and 30 minutes drive - or less, depending on how much rubber I want to burn down the A10)

Oooooh, I don't know what to do now :tears: - if there isn't going to be many people I know at Cheshunt then I might have to change my mind and come to Hipsters...

*sits back and awaits developments*

*still in indecisive mode*

Hipsters will be an absolute ******d transport-wise - will probably have to leave before the end to catch the train - but currently looks like the favoured option with most of the folks on here?

I might not know anyone at Cheshunt and it only goes on half an hour longer than Chesham (where I always have a fantastic time)

Or I could stay in and do something useful, although I'd have to be careful not to stand underneath the flying pigs...

I use to be indecisive but now Im not so sure :what:

Anyone made there mind up yet :whistle:

Zebra Woman
2nd-August-2005, 01:37 PM
I use to be indecisive but now Im not so sure :what:

Anyone made there mind up yet :whistle:

Nope...

I need help from a DJ :innocent:

Msfab
2nd-August-2005, 01:45 PM
Well, it just has to be Big Fat Friday! Catch up with those people i only ever see one in a blue moon! :innocent:
Also hoping to bump into (gently) with some of the guys (well one guy really :blush: ) I danced with loads at the beach boogie last week!

Trish
2nd-August-2005, 01:47 PM
Bedford - it's closest, and I've not been to a freestyle there before.

Me too - although I've been there lots of times. I always have a really good time there and it's a lovely big room (although sometimes it's still a bit crowded!)

Hope to meet up with you for a dance if I can work out who you are (not even sure if you're male or female actually! - although that doesn't make much difference as I go either way dance-wise!)

Cruella
2nd-August-2005, 04:31 PM
OK i've had enough of all this dilly dallying. I've made a decision. I'm going to Cheshunt. So now you lot can make yours. (i know you're all going to Hipsters now) :tears:
Air conditioning has swayed it for me, and also that i've never been before. The last two times i did BFF i didn't like the music (Sorry Jon) and the last time i ended up with whiplash. Although i know this could have happened anywhere, i don't think it helped that i was constantly avoiding elbows, feet etc.
So ZW, Lucy Locket the lift is still available if you are coming to Cheshunt, your decision. :whistle:

Northants Girly
2nd-August-2005, 04:34 PM
Oooooohhhh! :flower: I didn't know that you were in the equation as well. Now that changes everything :hug:

What's the third option for this Friday? :wink:Pssst . . . just have your passport ready ;)

Cruella
2nd-August-2005, 04:46 PM
Pssst . . . just have your passport ready ;)
I would guess this means you don't need a lift with me then?

Northants Girly
2nd-August-2005, 04:49 PM
I would guess this means you don't need a lift with me then?No but thanks anyway :)

But in your comparing post above, you forgot to mention somethng very important about Hipsters btw ;)

Zebra Woman
2nd-August-2005, 05:01 PM
OK i've had enough of all this dilly dallying. I've made a decision. I'm going to Cheshunt. So now you lot can make yours. (i know you're all going to Hipsters now) :tears:
Air conditioning has swayed it for me, and also that i've never been before. The last two times i did BFF i didn't like the music (Sorry Jon) and the last time i ended up with whiplash. Although i know this could have happened anywhere, i don't think it helped that i was constantly avoiding elbows, feet etc.
So ZW, Lucy Locket the lift is still available if you are coming to Cheshunt, your decision. :whistle:

Oh no I'm not ready yet! I really want to choose Hipsters, I just need some reassurance.

I'm clinging tightly on to the fence here. :eek:

Rhythm King
2nd-August-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm teetering on the fence at the mo. I haven't been to Cheshunt before and am tempted, by curiosity, air conditioning and the forum freebie factor. But then again, Surbiton and BPF are my usual faves.

Decisions, decisions :confused:

Northants Girly
2nd-August-2005, 05:08 PM
But in your comparing post above, you forgot to mention somethng very important about Hipsters btw ;) In response to some PMs I've just had . . . .

the Pancake cafe place over the road :grin:

we had yummy waffles, banana and maple syrup pre last Hipsters :yum: :yum: :yum:

Zebra Woman
2nd-August-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm teetering on the fence at the mo. I haven't been to Cheshunt before and am tempted, by curiosity, air conditioning and the forum freebie factor. But then again, Surbiton and BPF are my usual faves.

Decisions, decisions :confused:

Shuffle along here RK and I'll help you hold on.

:hug:

I think it could be a long night... :whistle:

LMC
2nd-August-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm clinging tightly on to the fence here. :eek:

I'm teetering on the fence at the mo.

Joins Cruella in giving ZW and RK a good hard shove...

ChrisA
2nd-August-2005, 05:47 PM
After some agonising, I think it'll be the BFFF. It's close (about 20 mins :waycool: ), and occasionally there have been some good times when it hasn't been too busy.

I'm really hoping for some good music ... I am so sick of thumpy music almost everywhere I go these days... Kenobe sets, and, surprisingly perhaps, Twickenham Ceroc (courtesy of Dave R), are pretty much all I like at the moment, although I did quite like the music at Lory's birthday bash the other week.

Selfish space hogs be warned, though... :mad: :devil:

Cruella
2nd-August-2005, 05:59 PM
After some agonising, I think it'll be the BFFF. It's close (about 20 mins :waycool: ), and occasionally there have been some good times when it hasn't been too busy.

I'm really hoping for some good music ... I am so sick of thumpy music almost everywhere I go these days... Kenobe sets, and, surprisingly perhaps, Twickenham Ceroc (courtesy of Dave R), are pretty much all I like at the moment, although I did quite like the music at Lory's birthday bash the other week.
Selfish space hogs be warned, though... :mad: :devil:
Well that same DJ is going to be at Cheshunt. :whistle:

ChrisA
2nd-August-2005, 06:15 PM
Well that same DJ is going to be at Cheshunt. :whistle:
So I understand... :clap:

Hipsters also has the Bella Italia next door, though, as well :wink:

Ballroom queen
2nd-August-2005, 06:55 PM
Is Cheshunt on every Friday, or just once a month like BFFF?

JoC
2nd-August-2005, 08:37 PM
Is this going to happen again for next Friday? I'm relying on you lot for guidance! :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-August-2005, 08:47 PM
After some agonising, I think it'll be the BFFF ... and occasionally there have been some good times when it hasn't been too busy.Quite right, Chris. Best not to set expectations too high, eh?

Minnie M
2nd-August-2005, 08:54 PM
Is Cheshunt on every Friday, or just once a month like BFFF?
First and third Friday each month

LilyB
2nd-August-2005, 08:55 PM
If DavidB is able to get away from work in good time, I think we'll be heading for Cheshunt. Haven't been there in ages so due another visit.

Fab venue (nice floor, loads of seating & tables and air-conditioning :clap: ), fab music (Robin & Tezi - need I say more? :waycool: ) and free for Forumites :yeah: . What more could one possibly ask for? :cheers:

LilyB

Lucy Locket
3rd-August-2005, 09:42 AM
Note i've stayed quiet till you lot have decided where to go.
:clap: :flower: :whistle:

stewart38
3rd-August-2005, 11:14 AM
Ok as I’m going to Barcelona on Saturday (and will dance non stop for a week)

As my sweet little mother is going to take me in the early morning to Gatwick, I've decided to spend some quality time with her on the friday and hence forgo dancing and arrive at 9pm rather then arriving at 1.30am. (I don’t see her much)

Surley that’s got to be worth some rep :nice:

Mother before dancing? but hey still 2 days to go for me to change my mind ? :sick:

Lory
3rd-August-2005, 11:30 AM
Surley that’s got to be worth some rep :nice:

Mother before dancing? but hey still 2 days to go for me to change my mind ? :sick:
Nope, it would only be worthy of rep, if you brought her out dancing on Friday with you! :cool: :wink:

Yogi_Bear
3rd-August-2005, 01:11 PM
If DavidB is able to get away from work in good time, I think we'll be heading for Cheshunt. Haven't been there in ages so due another visit.

Fab venue (nice floor, loads of seating & tables and air-conditioning :clap: ), fab music (Robin & Tezi - need I say more? :waycool: ) and free for Forumites :yeah: . What more could one possibly ask for? :cheers:

LilyBWhere does it say that Cheshunt will be free for Forumites? I must have missed it.....

Lory
3rd-August-2005, 01:15 PM
Where does it say that Cheshunt will be free for Forumites? I must have missed it.....
HERE (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6005) :nice:

bigdjiver
3rd-August-2005, 01:18 PM
I will be at Bedford Corn Exchange (no surprise there). I will pass on what I have been told. Check on this information if it is important to you.

Kerry is supposed to be doing the fun lesson. She is always great fun, and may excel herself as she is soon emigrating to Canada, allegedly with ambitions to start MJ there.

Always has been free water. Allegedly no-smoking.

Yogi_Bear
3rd-August-2005, 01:18 PM
HERE (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6005) :nice:
Thanks Lory - I guess I was too lazy to search for it.... :o

Purple Sparkler
3rd-August-2005, 04:14 PM
I think I'm going to head for Hipsters, cake permitting (as in, if I've finished it and the meringue mushrooms, all shall be well.)

Cruella
3rd-August-2005, 04:18 PM
Must say am wondering if LilyB and DavidB have had a row, as Lilys apparantly going to Cheshunt and Davids washing his hair!!! :wink: Come on guys kiss and make up then you can wash each others hair. :rofl:

LilyB
3rd-August-2005, 04:20 PM
Must say am wondering if LilyB and DavidB have had a row, as Lilys apparantly going to Cheshunt and Davids washing his hair!!! :wink: Come on guys kiss and make up then you can wash each others hair. :rofl:
He won't have any hair left to wash if he doesn't do as he's told! :devil: :rofl:

DavidB
3rd-August-2005, 04:48 PM
Come on guys kiss and make up then you can wash each others hair.You have to be kidding!! I would like to get out sometime this year.

SilverFox
4th-August-2005, 01:16 AM
OK....

Here goes......

Eeny meeny miny mo....

Cheshunt! :waycool:

I'm gonna try Cheshunt. Ealing has disappointed me too many times recently. :(

Seeing as Adam has very generously offered free admission, I think it right that I should offer free rummages. :devil:

I hope some more of you come too...... solo rummaging is a last resort you know...... :o

LMC
4th-August-2005, 06:43 AM
Seeing as Adam has very generously offered free admission, I think it right that I should offer free rummages. :devil:

I hope some more of you come too...... solo rummaging is a last resort you know...... :o
free rummages :clap:

hang on a sec..... *reads on*

:tears: am I not good enough?

*wanders off, despondent*

Icey
4th-August-2005, 08:33 AM
OK, I've finally made a decision. I'm with Newkid at Cheshunt unless she changes her mind.

Newkid, I'm confirming my booking for your bathroom tomorrow.

latinlover
4th-August-2005, 09:04 AM
free rummages :clap:

hang on a sec..... *reads on*

:tears: am I not good enough?

*wanders off, despondent*

Oh Blimey , here we go again!! :whistle:

do I detect a personality trait here?

SilverFox
4th-August-2005, 09:30 AM
Oh Blimey , here we go again!! :whistle:

do I detect a personality trait here? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cruella
4th-August-2005, 09:55 AM
Come on Spice and Easy. you know you want to come to Cheshunt. I have to see if i can make you giggle again. :wink:

Zebra Woman
4th-August-2005, 11:38 AM
I am STILL UNDECIDED! :sick:

There are some top hair pullers going to BFFF :tears:

Including Groovy Dancer who really is the King :drool: :worthy:

Mary
4th-August-2005, 03:40 PM
Cheshunt. Never been there, and it sounds like it might be fun. And Adam is a shameless hussy :devil:

M

Jon Brett
4th-August-2005, 03:55 PM
I'll probably get deleted (I have done before for mentioning the H. word as Ceroc doesn't like Hipsters much) but to help you out:

At Hipsters tomorrow there will be a couple of classes from Nigel & Nina to kick off (masterclass followed by jive routine) plus a goodly mix of tunes until 1am. I have a bunch of new ones that I'm looking forward to playing - funky, smooth, latin, modern and a cheesey one plus there'll be some Hipsters Classics thrown in for good measure.

Since we get people in from Bristol to Norwich, Brighton to Nottingham, I plan to work with the crowd we get. I have never worked from a playlist, so I can't say exactly what'll happen - you'll have to wait and see.

Clive Long
4th-August-2005, 04:02 PM
I'll probably get deleted (I have done before for mentioning the H. word as Ceroc doesn't like Hipsters much) but to help you out:

At Hipsters tomorrow there will be a couple of classes from Nigel & Nina to kick off (masterclass followed by jive routine) plus a goodly mix of tunes until 1am. I have a bunch of new ones that I'm looking forward to playing - funky, smooth, latin, modern and a cheesey one plus there'll be some Hipsters Classics thrown in for good measure.

Since we get people in from Bristol to Norwich, Brighton to Nottingham, I plan to work with the crowd we get. I have never worked from a playlist, so I can't say exactly what'll happen - you'll have to wait and see.
Gloves off.

Game on.

Simon r
4th-August-2005, 04:10 PM

I doubt this will make any difference ....
If you mention free to any jive or lindy dancer they will turn up.

...quality or no quality, good or bad music...

It's the truth and you lot no it ....

spindr
4th-August-2005, 04:11 PM
At Hipsters tomorrow there will be a couple of classes from Nigel & Nina to kick off (masterclass followed by jive routine) plus a goodly mix of tunes until 1am. I have a bunch of new ones that I'm looking forward to playing - funky, smooth, latin, modern and a cheesey one
Maybe a tune or two with a bit of tempo and some ooomphh please?

plus there'll be some Hipsters Classics thrown in for good measure.
Oh no -- not "Build Me Up Buttercup" -- argghh, I may have to take refuge with the salsa crowd :)

SpinDr.

Paul F
4th-August-2005, 04:16 PM
Im going to have to decide on the night. Im staying nearby to Ealing Town Hall so it depends how tired I am at the end of a very long day tomorrow.

I am going to try and make it to Cheshunt as I just luuurve air-conditioning and it sounds like there will be plenty of fourumites there too.

Im not sure how much a masterclass on the backhander will draw people in. :confused: Could be interesting though.

I will have to wait and see.

Trying HG Wells on Saturday as well to finish off my weekend. Looking forward to it.

Jon Brett
4th-August-2005, 04:26 PM
Maybe a tune or two with a bit of tempo and some ooomphh please?

SpinDr.

OK, no "buttercup". Got any requests before tomorrow? I have time to get to the record shop if I don't already have them, or bring 'em along if you have em on CD...

Chuck me a PM & I'll see what I can do.

Lory
4th-August-2005, 04:30 PM

Sorry Simon, love you to bit's :flower: but that's just not the case where this jiver's concerned! :cool:

I'd rather pay double if I could have the music and dancers I like! :yum:

Zebra Woman
4th-August-2005, 04:57 PM
Sorry Simon, love you to bit's :flower: but that's just not the case where this jiver's concerned! :cool:

Yes it's not about money, it's all about music and the dancers' enjoyment of it.

On that basis - I have finally chosen Hipsters !!

I'll probably end up having to drive there alone too :tears: . I am about to PM JB with some of my requests now. :innocent:

See (half of) you all there! :cheers:

ChrisA
4th-August-2005, 04:59 PM
there'll be some Hipsters Classics thrown in for good measure.

How does a track get to be a classic?

By being overplayed.

:devil:

Simon r
4th-August-2005, 05:01 PM

no one will admit it but in the majority that is the case ....
it's been proved multiple times.
been on both sides of the coin ....

Jon Brett
4th-August-2005, 05:07 PM
How does a track get to be a classic?

By being overplayed.

:devil:

You mean like "Fire" that you requested? :whistle:

I still play "fire" 50% of the nights I play and if I don't play it, it often gets requested and it's been yonks since I brought it to the MJ scene.

People only say they're overplayed if they're sick of them themselves. It's all a matter of opinion. If they fill the dancefloor, could you argue they're overplayed? Another thread required perhaps...

Zebra Woman
4th-August-2005, 05:08 PM
I doubt this will make any difference ....

I don't think that's true but if it is - fine by me...

That will mean more space to dance at the BFFF. :D

LMC
4th-August-2005, 05:15 PM
There are still a lot of people sitting on the fence... :whistle:

Lory
4th-August-2005, 05:22 PM
Chuck me a PM & I'll see what I can do.
:yeah: Based on this and hoping desperately to have some of my requests played, I've made my decision... Hipsters it is for me! ;)

JB we're relying on you! :flower:

Even if a couple of my Favourite dancers are off to Cheshunt :tears: (and you KNOW who you are :devil: )

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good time, wherever they end up! :cheers:

Mary
4th-August-2005, 05:34 PM
Oh dear. With JB's listening to our music comments Hipsters is looking very tempting, AND it's much nearer for us. Aaaargh, what to do. :confused:

M

Cruella
4th-August-2005, 07:27 PM
Yes it's not about money, it's all about music and the dancers' enjoyment of it.

On that basis - I have finally chosen Hipsters !!

I'll probably end up having to drive there alone too :tears: . I am about to PM JB with some of my requests now. :innocent:

See (half of) you all there! :cheers:

After much consideration (and pressure from certain sources) i've decide to 'do a NewKid'. I've changed my mind. I know that ZW would be so lonely without me and it's my turn to drive. :flower: Plus i think i might have to see what all this hair pulling is about :blush:

Cruella
4th-August-2005, 07:49 PM
ZW, Lucy Locket and i will be arriving at Ealing around 8.45ish would be nice to go for a drink and chat before the freestyle starts at 9.45. So does anyone want to join us? and apart from the pancake place is there anywhere nice to go for this drink?

Paul F
4th-August-2005, 08:44 PM
Looks like I will be going to Hipsters then. Looking forward to many many dances :cheers:

Im up for the pre-crush drink as well :clap:

Lucy Locket
4th-August-2005, 10:14 PM
Yippee. Hipsters it is. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chef
4th-August-2005, 11:48 PM
People going to Hipsters. I have just got to ask this. Why is it that you can arrive in time for the lessons yet you CHOOSE to miss them and only come in for the freestyle? I would kill to have lessons of that quality near me.

What is going on?

Have you all progressed so much that even lessons of this standard are dull to you?

What gives? Do Tell.

angelique
4th-August-2005, 11:54 PM
I've got an EVEN better way of spending my Friday evening than all these terribly hard decisions to make...........come spend a 12 shift with me on the front line in casualty, assessing patients, arguing with lazy bloody doctors and trying to find beds that don't exist anywhere in the country to put extremely ill, suicidal people into!
No contest eh? :mad:
Enjoy yourselves and someone , somewhere have a dance or two for me :flower:

Shona
5th-August-2005, 08:11 AM
Well, Mr. Fitz and I will be travelling from Aberdeen to go to Hipsters tonight, so I think we win on distance travelled!! :whistle: I'm only going to know a couple of folk tonight, so anyone who wants a dance, is more than welcome.
I'm hoping the trip is going to be worthwhile, I'm sure it will be. Everyone enjoy their evening, and I'll see a few of you later. So excited :clap:

S x :flower:

ChrisA
5th-August-2005, 08:19 AM
People going to Hipsters. I have just got to ask this. Why is it that you can arrive in time for the lessons yet you CHOOSE to miss them and only come in for the freestyle? I would kill to have lessons of that quality near me.

What is going on?

Well I can tell you what one person (a lady) said to me, on discovering that the theme for tonight's lessons was the Backhander.

"Great", she said, "it would be ok for you, but I don't fancy an hour or more of having a room full of men ignoring Nigel and yanking me about in backhander after backhander."

(And of course, dare to do classes like that in non-rotation, and you get all sorts of accusations on here of hotshottery and selfishness.)

I agree with you Chef... I love Nigel and Nina's lessons, and if it was a workshop they were giving it would be different. But unfortunately, the quality you refer to is wasted on a large number of people, mostly men, I think, who don't have the same desire for learning and development as you do. :tears:

The other factor in my mind is the music.

Just as good teaching is a rarity, so is good music. I know I'm not alone in getting more and more fed up with thumpy, subtlety-free pop tunes churned out one after another at various venues, with the main priority seeming to me to be only to fill the floor. So increasingly, I find myself with the search for the sort of music that I like becoming the priority.

Hopefully, JB will pull something awesome out of the bag tonight (if he doesn't it won't be for the want of influences from certain quarters :devil: ), and if he does, it should be good.

LMC
5th-August-2005, 09:37 AM
After much consideration (and pressure from certain sources) i've decide to 'do a NewKid'. I've changed my mind. I know that ZW would be so lonely without me and it's my turn to drive. :flower: Plus i think i might have to see what all this hair pulling is about :blush:
It's not so much indecisiveness as being a born-again commitment-phobe...

Definitely going to Cheshunt now. I think....

Cruella
5th-August-2005, 10:02 AM
Apparently there is a bar next to Ealing town hall called Edwards. So may i suggest meeting there for 8.45 for a drinkypoos. The more the merrier. :cheers:< Thats just lemonade obviously.

ChrisA
5th-August-2005, 10:10 AM
Apparently there is a bar next to Ealing town hall called Edwards.
There is. But it's not right next to the town hall. It's a few doors up on the same side of the road, to the right of the TH as you face it (ie in the direction of Ealing Broadway tube).

El Salsero Gringo
5th-August-2005, 10:33 AM

What is going on?

Have you all progressed so much that even lessons of this standard are dull to you?

What gives? Do Tell.To enjoy a lesson takes one mood, to enjoy three hours of freestyle takes another. Sometimes people can take all this going to lessons, improving standards, becoming a better dancer, honing technique kick a leeetle bit too far. Occasionally it's nice to just go dance.

under par
5th-August-2005, 10:39 AM
:clap: Mrs Par and I have finally decided to get off the fence!!! :clap:

We have decided to go to Hipsters tonight.

Look forward to seeing anybody who is there. :whistle: :cheers: :cheers:

Rhythm King
5th-August-2005, 10:53 AM
:clap: Mrs Par and I have finally decided to get off the fence!!! :clap:

We have decided to go to Hipsters tonight.

Look forward to seeing anybody who is there. :whistle: :cheers: :cheers:

Well, after some deep conversations last night, my choice is The Casbah (!) followed by Hipsters.

See you there

R-K :cheers:

Chef
5th-August-2005, 10:55 AM
To enjoy a lesson takes one mood, to enjoy three hours of freestyle takes another. Sometimes people can take all this going to lessons, improving standards, becoming a better dancer, honing technique kick a leeetle bit too far. Occasionally it's nice to just go dance.

Tell me about it. I dance 4-5 nights a week but lessons like those at Hipsters crop up all too rarely. So when there is an opportunity for them then I really savour them. I can understand that if you are part of the West London hot house area and you have so many great teachers and dances that you could become a bit blasse about it all. But I am hearing of people that I know are driving great distances to get to this place, arriving in time for the lessons and then choosing to munch down at local eateries instead.

Commis Chef remarked that apart from a few gems of leaders in the line up during the lessons there was a disturbingly high number of leaders who were incapable of an intermediate lesson let alone an advanced one (mostly because they don't seem to listen to a darn thing the teacher says from the stage). ChrisA has just said pretty much the same thing. I just wanted to hear more than one (commis chefs) view on the subject.

So it seems that a lot of people could do, but won't do, lessons because of the hand mangling they are likely to recieve.

For me, the going to lessons thing is just as important as the freestyle. I often look back at the last 6 months to year and ask myself "have I improved?" and "what should I be working on now?". If I were dancing (or anything else) for 20 years then I would like to have had 20 years of experience once rather than one year of experience 20 times.

So, the reason why people avoid Hipsters lessons is intersting. A sensible solution to it just doesn't occur to me though.

Tezi
5th-August-2005, 11:58 AM
I have a bunch of new ones that I'm looking forward to playing - funky, smooth, latin, modern and a cheesey one plus there'll be some Hipsters Classics thrown in for good measure.

:D Hi Jon, curious to know why you haven't planned to work with the crowd before! :kiss:

:tears: As I'm only human like the rest of you I will now go into a little corner with my cd collection and cry and have no forumites at all to enjoy our music tonight ...

Dizzy
5th-August-2005, 12:07 PM
Just to let you guys know (now I have internet connection back!! :clap: ) that I will be coming to Hipster tonight too.

Hope to see you all there and meet some previously unmet forumites!! :clap: :cheers:

LMC
5th-August-2005, 12:08 PM
:tears: As I'm only human like the rest of you I will now go into a little corner with my cd collection and cry and have no forumites at all to enjoy our music tonight ...
Don't worry Tezi, the few of us who do prefer not to be elbow-room-only dancing will tell everyone next week how good you and Robin were :nice:

(not that *my* judgement is to be trusted, after all, I rather like Amarillo)

Tezi
5th-August-2005, 12:13 PM
Don't worry Tezi, the few of us who do prefer not to be elbow-room-only dancing will tell everyone next week how good you and Robin were :nice:

:hug: Thank you and just for you we'll play Amarillo xxx because we PLAY to the crowd ALWAYS :whistle:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LMC
5th-August-2005, 12:15 PM
:hug: Thank you and just for you we'll play Amarillo xxx because we PLAY to the crowd ALWAYS :whistle:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
OK, I'll book that one with Adam.... :devil:

Lory
5th-August-2005, 12:17 PM
It isn't your music Tezi, you and Robin play fabulous sets! :worthy:

I just want the latest finish time possible! :o

Anyone know of a venue that stays open till 4am?

Sheepman
5th-August-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm still sticking with Surbiton followed by the last hour at BFFF. I was really considering skipping the Surbiton bit, but Cat & Lee are teaching there tonight, and with all these hoards heading to Ealing, I'm happy to wait till it thins out a bit...

Now, having had just just 3 hours, I just need to catch up on some sleep if I'm to be of any use to man or beast... :eek:

Greg

Sparkles
5th-August-2005, 12:35 PM
Now, having had just just 3 hours, I just need to catch up on some sleep if I'm to be of any use to man or beast... :eek:

Would you like to say 'just' one more time?... pretty please :flower: :rolleyes:

... go get some sleep! :hug:

S. x

Lory
5th-August-2005, 12:41 PM
if I'm to be of any use to man or beast... :eek:

Greg
Who are you planning to dance with tonight then :really:

Sheepman
5th-August-2005, 12:47 PM
... go get some sleep! :hug: :rofl: :rofl: OK, OK, seems like I may be a little dozy...

There's just too much going on here right now!

Greg

Sheepman
5th-August-2005, 12:49 PM
Who are you planning to dance with tonight then :really: Well, I think I'll pass, on the men! :devil:

Greg

Rhythm King
5th-August-2005, 01:14 PM
Well, I think I'll pass, on the men! :devil:

Greg

Which just just leaves the beasts just, but surely sheep should be careful of Dances With Wolves?

LilyB
5th-August-2005, 01:35 PM

Yes there will be Forumites at Cheshunt tonight to appreciate your (& Robin's) fab tunes - David & I will be there :flower:

LilyB

Icey
5th-August-2005, 01:40 PM
Yes there will be Forumites at Cheshunt tonight to appreciate your (& Robin's) fab tunes - David & I will be there :flower:

LilyB

Newkid and I will be there too! Not sure if we'll make the DWAS but we will be there. We're both hoping to get lots of dances throughout the night :grin:

I am even fighting my way around the car park that is the M25 on a Friday night to be there!

Zebra Woman
5th-August-2005, 01:54 PM
Which just just leaves the beasts...

Oh I'm feeling lucky tonight! :D

It isn't your music Tezi, you and Robin play fabulous sets!

I just want the latest finish time possible!

Anyone know of a venue that stays open till 4am?

:yeah:

It was a really really tough decision :sad: . I am sure Robin and Tezi will play an
excellent set tonight (and play to the crowd as they always do). :worthy:

Apparently there is a bar next to Ealing town hall called Edwards. So may i suggest meeting there for 8.45 for a drinkypoos. The more the merrier. < Thats just lemonade obviously.

Oh yes I'm up for that. I think I'm going to try mixing drinking and dancing tonight :devil: , just moderately OK
:innocent:

Cu there :cheers:

Lory
5th-August-2005, 02:06 PM
I think I'm going to try mixing drinking and dancing tonight :devil:
I wish someone would pick me up, I think I might need a drink before I attempt my dare! :sick:

Clive Long
5th-August-2005, 02:24 PM

Cheshunt gets my vote (although I might slink off at 11pm to get a fix of Ealing - depends on traffic).

Northants Girly
5th-August-2005, 02:29 PM
I wish someone would pick me upMe too :whistle:

Zebra Woman
5th-August-2005, 02:31 PM
Cheshunt gets my vote (although I might slink off at 11pm to get a fix of Ealing - depends on traffic).

Yeah we considered that option too Clive. I would be interested to hear what the journey time is between the venues. Too far IMO.

I would love to support both nights, if only Cheshunt didn't always clash with BFFF :tears:

Rhythm King
5th-August-2005, 02:41 PM
Oh I'm feeling lucky tonight! :D

Unless a certain person has an emergency and interrupts :whistle:

Tezi
5th-August-2005, 02:46 PM
:flower: Thank you everyone, Robin and I are back in the land of dancing/djing - vodka back in the fridge, rubbish bag full of tissues out the door! See you later, you're GREAT :cheers:

Dizzy
5th-August-2005, 03:05 PM
:flower: Thank you everyone, Robin and I are back in the land of dancing/djing - vodka back in the fridge, rubbish bag full of tissues out the door! See you later, you're GREAT :cheers:

:worthy: Yeah, I heard you guys in Harrow last night and were fabulous as always. Sorry won't be at Cheshunt but I am sure that you will fabulous there too. :flower:

under par
6th-August-2005, 02:47 AM
Well Mrs Par and I had a fantasic night at Ealing, thankyou to Jon Brett for the music a varied collection of tunes that had all dancing. :yeah: :worthy:

I had some great dances tonight and Mrs Par is floating on air after her evening she had so many great dances. :clap: :clap:

Big Phat Friday an amazing gathering of fantastic dancers and over 3 hours of freestyle........come on who can offer even more a 2am or 3am finish for a monthly freestyle ...............there will be loads of takers I'm sure. :cheers: :yeah: :yeah:

off to bed now then UP at 0700 for golf then work at 1500 who's mad ? eh !! :flower:

PS first visit to ealing for 6 months for one reason or another great night

Cruella
6th-August-2005, 10:46 AM
Well i'm glad i went to Ealing i had a good night. Loads of great men, i only sat out one track. Even got my hair pulled! I did hear a few complaints about the music still. But for me it was definately an improvement on the last two times i've been. I did notice some of the good men sitting out for tracks, was this because there was more men than women or because you just needed to rest?? Usually when i look around the room for a dance i can't find anyone (getting to slow in my old age) but didn't seem to have any problem last night. I'm certainly not complaining, just curious. :confused: Oh and Silver Fox you are very good at keeping the straight face, but i didn't like it, much prefer the smiley one!! :D

Cruella
6th-August-2005, 11:25 AM
Oh Bugger! Have just cleared out my dancing bag and realised i have left a bag of clothing at Hipsters :tears: Anyone have a contact number for the venue? If you see Jon Brett wearing a nice pink hat, IT'S MINE!

Lory
6th-August-2005, 11:25 AM
I did notice some of the good men sitting out for tracks, was this because there was more men than women or because you just needed to rest??
:yeah: I noticed that too, at one point there were at least 15 men lined up along the stage, the bar area and the entrance :really: BUT looking down the hall, there were hoards of women lined up by the seats! Weird! :confused:

Obvioulsy all the men were after ONE woman and she was dancing by the stage and all the women were after ONE man and he was dancing in the middle! :rofl:

On a personal note, I danced like a total ****** all night (I've put stars but don't bother counting them as I can't even think of a word to describe how bad I was) :sick: Suggestions on a postcard! :whistle:

So, appologies to all you lovely men who danced with me. :worthy: It really wasn't you, it was definitly me!!!! :tears:

Please ask me again :flower: I promise to be better next time! :o

Easter Bunny
6th-August-2005, 02:01 PM
I will be DJ at a Soul & Motown night in Shoreham - it's not an MJ night but MJers do come. If you're over 35 you'll love these nights - if you're under 30 you probably won't get it. But, most Motown is right for MJ so we get a good crowd of MJers dancing by the stage :clap:

Hi Andy,
Do you run any of these closer to South West ? Soul and Motown is my fav. music (from the past) - (lots of memories.........) and it would be nice to meet other jivers that like dancing to it.

Paul F
6th-August-2005, 02:20 PM
Not too sure sure what to make of last night at Hipsters.

I think I had built in up in my own head so much it ended up being a bit of a let down.
I used to go there twice a week without fail when I just started dancing. It was a mecca!

Going back 2 years later felt weird. Although I know people change, some stop dancing etc. There were so few people there that i recognised. I thought I would recognise so many but no. Yeah, it happens - just felt weird.

Now whether it is because I am just a bit more experienced with different venues and what not I just didnt think last night lived up to what I expected.
This is my opinion and whether I think Cheshunt would have been better.

The venue layout has changed (from the last time i saw it) to accommodate numbers so the tables were pushed length-ways up against the walls resulting in little or no seating/chatting opportunity. Ok, not a lot of people sit down but its nice to have a seat and a table to do.....well, whatever you do :)

On that score Cheshunt would win for the more social thing.
+
(tagged on to that is the fact that, because there is no sectioned off seating SO MANY PEOPLE WERE STOOD OR WALKING IN YOUR WAY :mad: :mad: )

------

The music was, well, decidedly dodgy at times. I am all for 'different' tunes but some of the tracks I simply didnt like. There were a few core tracks and some that just didnt inspire me at all. I realise this could be down to requests though.

After hearing R+Ts set the other week I would have to say Cheshunt would win.

------

The next point was a fault on my part. I got there, after running late, at around 8:40. I thought the classes finished at 9pm. The freestyle only actually started at 9:45. That meant a total of 3 hours fifteen minutes of freestyle.

On that score Cheshunt would win for the longer freestyle (i know DWAS was on but at least its dancing)

-------

Next, temperature. No air-con. It was rather warm. Could have been a lot worse as I think the outside temeprature helped but again....

Cheshunt has to win on that one too for the air-con.

-------
The only other thing was the 'bar'. Although it is the same as I remember it it really is poor. Probably cheaper than most places ie. bottle of coke for £1 but it wasnt cold. Just what I needed when I was really hot after a nights dancing - a room temperature drink :sad:

And lastly, its Cheshunt again.

This is only what I thought and Im sure many people think different and I only mention this as feedback so it may, in some future time and place be improved.

The only thing that made Hipsters a good night was the dancers. There were quite a lot of very good dancers there so this vote goes with Hipsters. HOWEVER, is it reasonable to think that this only happened because of this thread?

Bottom line for me:
If this thread had drawn everyone to Cheshunt I think it would have been a better night than Ealing.

Lucy Locket
6th-August-2005, 02:24 PM
Paul F you didn't dance with me that's what made it such a bad night for you.

I'm so upset.

LMC
6th-August-2005, 02:30 PM
Bottom line for me:
If this thread had drawn everyone to Cheshunt I think it would have been a better night than Ealing.

:yeah: - funny enough, I was thinking that if I'd known Cheshunt was going to be 'hard work' (as I knew so few people) I would have gone to Ealing....

I don't have much to add to what other people have said about advantages of Cheshunt and what I said here ( http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139310&postcount=23) except that the music was indeed *fabulous* and the DWAS took hardly any time out of the freestyle.

So do we all descend upon Cheshunt next time? :whistle:

Paul F
6th-August-2005, 02:35 PM
Paul F you didn't dance with me that's what made it such a bad night for you.

I'm so upset.

I think next time I will go for Cheshunt so if you find yourself there too maybe we can make up for lost time :blush: :hug: :hug:

Jon Brett
6th-August-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks everyone for choosing Hipsters last night.

Big clap & cheer at the end - I was grinning all the way home & then when I got there, unloaded the car & sat down, I grinned some more.

Andreas
6th-August-2005, 06:02 PM
I would have liked to try Cheshunt, too but for me it is just too inaccessible, too far out. Ealing is bad enough. On the other hand, I was gonna give Ealing a miss, too but was talked into showing.

I agree with Paul on the music, it was a great variety with great referring to the number different styles/influences but that also meant that there was a relatively large number of tracks that I considere 'next to not inspiring'. However, I am also not easy to please in terms of music, so no surprise that I wasn't too impressed :blush:

Nonetheless, I only sat out two pieces of music and danced all the others, yet didn't feel shattered at the end. So the air condition issue didn't appear to cause me too much grieve this time around. :)

Despite all pro's and con's, I had a great night, much better than going to bed early because of work over the weekend :whistle:

Clive Long
6th-August-2005, 08:10 PM
Not too sure sure what to make of last night at Hipsters.

I think I had built in up in my own head so much it ended up being a bit of a let down.
I used to go there twice a week without fail when I just started dancing. It was a mecca!

<< snip >>

The venue layout has changed (from the last time i saw it) to accommodate numbers so the tables were pushed length-ways up against the walls resulting in little or no seating/chatting opportunity. Ok, not a lot of people sit down but its nice to have a seat and a table to do.....well, whatever you do :)

On that score Cheshunt would win for the more social thing.
+
(tagged on to that is the fact that, because there is no sectioned off seating SO MANY PEOPLE WERE STOOD OR WALKING IN YOUR WAY :mad: :mad: )

Ah. The seating - you might want to read this (http://cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=139300#post139300) review that covers seating at Cheshunt.

<< snip >>
-------
The only other thing was the 'bar'. Although it is the same as I remember it it really is poor. Probably cheaper than most places ie. bottle of coke for £1 but it wasnt cold. Just what I needed when I was really hot after a nights dancing - a room temperature drink :sad:

Ah. The bar - you might want to read this (http://cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=139300#post139300) review that covers the bar at Cheshunt.

And lastly, its Cheshunt again.

This is only what I thought and Im sure many people think different and I only mention this as feedback so it may, in some future time and place be improved.

The only thing that made Hipsters a good night was the dancers. There were quite a lot of very good dancers there so this vote goes with Hipsters. HOWEVER, is it reasonable to think that this only happened because of this thread?

Bottom line for me:
Don't get me wrong. I don't have a downer on Ealing. There are probably consistently a greater number of "better" dancers at Hipsters, and if you are of an age that thinks someone of 35 is old then you won't have fun at Cheshunt. I have had some great (and profitable :waycool: ) nights at Ealing.

Thanks everyone for choosing Hipsters last night.

Errrrr ..... not everyone did.

I'll keep "spreading myself around" and am greatful that there is some much dance choice in London. I'm sure Lynn in NI would like to have our problem of choosing which to go to.

Clive

Jon Brett
6th-August-2005, 08:45 PM
With all this analysing, I'm surprised you get time to enjoy yourselves!

When I started jiving, I was lucky to get the choice of one freestyle every couple of months without travelling 70 miles.

El Salsero Gringo
6th-August-2005, 08:52 PM
With all this analysing, I'm surprised you get time to enjoy yourselves!Amen to that, Brother.

(unwelcome comments about pots, kettles and the colour black should be directed to /dev/null)

bigdjiver
6th-August-2005, 09:06 PM
Meanwhile Bedford Corn exchange was packed, but I still found a enough space to teach and practise mini-arials. The air-con was augmented by a battery of big fans. The water was free, and, apart for about three tracks, I loved the music. There was a far better collection of partners than I deserve. The nearly 3 1/2 hours of freestyle was not enough for me, leaving well over 30 ladies that I would have wanted to dance with. Kerry's lesson was based on the 118-118 ads, with the stage full of hairy "runners" and the routine a fun teasing mix of MJ and aerobics. I suspect Canada might not be ready for her. Next time, given the same choice, it will be the same place. I just want it next week ...

Kev F
6th-August-2005, 10:49 PM
Obvioulsy all the men were after ONE woman and she was dancing by the stage and all the women were after ONE man and he was dancing in the middle! :rofl:

I think you may have been that ONE woman. Very in demand :clap: Couldn't get close enough to you.
Enjoyed the choice of BFFF but the decision was hard as I've had great nights at Chesunt. :nice: The later finish is definitely a big incentiive.
But..it was busy and sadly only got half a dance with cruella and kept missing ZW altogether :tears: Tips on catching the favoured few will be gratefully received. :flower:

Had a fab night though! :clap:

On a personal note, I danced like a total ****** all night (I've put stars but don't bother counting them as I can't even think of a word to describe how bad I was) :sick: Suggestions on a postcard! :whistle:

But your dancing looked great even if you didn't feel it. :flower:

Msfab
6th-August-2005, 11:02 PM
Well Big Thank you :worthy: to everyone for loads of Fabulous dances at Hipsters last night, even the though some of the tracks were a bit iffy! :sick: Although not sure I sat a track out!
Cant believe how quick 3 hours and 15 mins of freestyle goes when you're dancing with some of the best and most enjoyable dancers around! :drool: I still didnt have time to dance all I wanted!

Now Paul F, who needs tables and seats when you should be up dancing! :cool: Well I had fun dancing with you!

Oh and Thank you Mr Fitz for the chocolate! :D Nice to see you down south!

Great to have seen SilverFox change his mind and come to Hipsters! :clap:

And as I suspected some leading using the Hair! mmm :( (R-K)
And all those facial expressions!

Thank you to ChrisA, He managed to smile during 2 tracks while dancing with me! :yum:

Mooncalf for being a Star and getting me to Ealing and back! + the dances!

And to all the others :cheers: :hug: :kiss:

Roll on the next Hipsters! Oh no Im going to be on my way to Austraila :rofl:

under par
6th-August-2005, 11:46 PM
But your dancing looked great even if you didn't feel it. :flower:

Lory's dancing was great too, only alcohol fueled deprecation running it down me thinks!!! :hug:

Tezi
7th-August-2005, 01:57 AM
Hi busy day today at Science Museum, kiddies etc. A big THANK YOU :flower: :worthy: to everyone who supported Cheshunt, Robin and I had a great time and the vodka came out again but in celebration ! By the way Clive :blush: , apologies for you not being shown the "forumite" table with a bottle of wine on us, just have to get you an extra nice one next time!! Oh and before I forget Lily/David, pls keep the basket and bring it again for a refill! :hug:

LMC
7th-August-2005, 10:51 AM
By the way Clive :blush: , apologies for you not being shown the "forumite" table with a bottle of wine on us, just have to get you an extra nice one next time!!
I told him it was there Tezi, guess he just didn't want to come and talk to us :devil:

ChrisA
7th-August-2005, 02:42 PM
Thank you to ChrisA, He managed to smile during 2 tracks while dancing with me! :yum:

Was this unexpected? :D

robd
7th-August-2005, 10:24 PM
Meanwhile Bedford Corn exchange was packed,

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Uncomfortably crowded I thought for the 1st hour or so of freestyle but still an enjoyable night. Had a challenging 'dance' with a lady who would not or could not follow a single move (even a simple in and out) that I tried to lead but also some more satisfying dances, particularly when the floor was clearer in the last hour or so. Also managed to clock my partner in the face when attempting a cleaver at one point :eek: :eek: :eek: - fortunately no lasting damage was done.

First time I have been to Bedford and I did like the venue so hope to be back for the next one.

Robert

Shona
8th-August-2005, 10:41 AM
As a first timer to Hipsters on Friday night, here's my views:
1. I thought the music was awesome. One or two tracks were slightly fast for me, but then there's one man (Mr. J.B) :worthy: trying to please some 250 dancers, so he can't please everyone all the time. I think the majority of the time, most people were satisfied.

2. The dance floor was lovely to dance on. It was slightly crowded at times, but it's makes you a better dancer if you can manoevour your body in different angles in tight spaces. (trust me on that one :wink: )

3. The bar that was on offer served its purpose. What more do you need?? If you're out to have a good time drinking, then go to the pub! :angry:

4. The lack of air conditioning wasn't a problem. The hall is large enough for the air to move around so it didn't get that warm in my opinion.

Overall, a great experience, with fab music and lovely dances. I'll definitely be back at some point, so thank you all for a great night. :hug:

S x.

Chef
8th-August-2005, 11:58 AM
A Personal view

Hipsters BFFF was a bit of a mixed bag for me.

I loved the lessons. If only they could send them out by live webcast I could be spared the horrors of actually attending the venue. I fully understand the view expressed on this forum that forumites will not go to the lessons because of the general standard.of the dancers in the line up. While many of the partners that I encountered were most able I did come across some notable exceptions. Leaving aside those people that didn’t seem to know what a rock step was or how to walk in a straight line without falling over there were three women in the line up who had never been to a dance lesson of any kind. Just what they were hoping to get out of a “masterclass” on a specific move that they were expected to know already I am unsure. One of these ladies alerted my attention by noticing that she was wearing flip flops. Astounded by her ability to dance in flip flops I asked her if she normally danced modern jive in flip flops and she said “what is modern jive?” I told her that it was what she was just having an advanced lesson in. I asked her what form of dancing she was expecting to be doing (thinking she may have gotten mixed up with the salsa classes) and she replied “dunno – a bit of jiggling about”.

I didn’t find these people productive partners to work with. They were an insurmountable encumbrance to learning anything. They were obviously unaware of what they were letting themselves in for.

The dance floor was utterly packed. I found the whole experience completely unpleasant. It was rather like trying to dance in a broom cupboard (while people are throwing the contents of the cupboard at you). I was unable to think much about the dancing or the music since most of my concentration was focussed on the task of survival both for myself and my partner. Hipsters attracts really great dancers but their abilities are utterly wasted in the crush. It is a testament to their abilities that they can dance there at all.

The music only went towards my personal taste in the last hour (and the dance floor thinned out a little). So I found myself sitting out or chatting for large parts of the evening waiting for something that I would enjoy dancing to. I don’t expect a DJ set of music to be entirely to my own taste (more like a bit of something for everyone). I just found the mix of music to be indistinguishable from the sets played at my local ceroc venues.

Jon Brett said earlier in this thread that he remembers the time when you had to drive 70 miles just to get to any dance. That was then and this is now. It isn’t like that anymore and with all this competition the standards are just getting higher.

To sum up for me. Great lessons but many partners in the line up nowhere near being able to even start to grasp the lessons. Great dancers but too crowded to use their abilities. On balance, not really worth a long drive and getting back home at 3:30am at the end of a working week. If I lived in west London I would go to the lessons but stick with my partner, then go out for a meal together and only return for the last hour.

Mary
8th-August-2005, 12:04 PM
As BFFF gets so crowded I wasn't anticipating having a great night as I don't follow well on a crowded floor. HOWEVER I had a (mostly) great night. Only one duff dance, and I was dancing with good partners and surrounded by good dancers so the floorcraft was rather good with no collisions.

On a down note I think high-heeled shoes should be banned on busy nights - other ladies high-heels on my foot is painful, and it mostly happens at Hipsters.

Normally not keen on R n R - type stuff but my first few dances were to this and it really got me in the mood for party-time.

Outside influences dictated our presence at Ealing, but it turned out to be a good choice, but would still liked to have tried Cheshunt. It's fortunate for us punters that there is such a fantastic choice - it we all turned up at one place it would be a nightmare.

M

Jon Brett
8th-August-2005, 02:57 PM
Great lessons but many partners in the line up nowhere near being able to even start to grasp the lessons.

I know a group of people turned up through an internet search on spec. and never been before. Sorry about that, not a lot we could do...

MartinHarper
8th-August-2005, 03:09 PM
I know a group of people turned up through an internet search on spec. and never been before. Sorry about that, not a lot we could do...

Impromptu "MJ for absolute beginners" lesson outside? Did you have a spare taxi or two?

Jon Brett
8th-August-2005, 03:21 PM
Impromptu "MJ for absolute beginners" lesson outside? Did you have a spare taxi or two?

We have thought about it, but the whole idea of Hipsters in the first place was to bring people together who had "been there, done that" with the usual beginner/intermediate classes.

I think the group in question were not jivers at all, just out for a night out.

Chef
8th-August-2005, 03:44 PM

I know there isn't anything you could do, or any other organiser for that matter. People turn up at the door, pay their money and you have to let them in.

Many people that I have talked to are blissfully unaware that Hipsters doesn't teach beginners classes and is a venue for the more experienced dancer.

Hipsters is stuck in a difficult place. It needs numbers to provide the income (particularly for its tuesday nights) and so must throw its doors open to all comers. Having then opened its doors to everyone it cannot then close them to all but the select few for its monthly freestyle. Hipsters needs a unique selling point to survive in the increasingly competative London dance market and has pitched at providing a unique and high standard of teaching (hurrah - just wish I lived in West London). As a result, it has reputation as being the place where the best dancers go (it is that and the standards of lessons that attracts me) but it is becoming a vitctim of it's own success. It is now a horrendous crush, and a place where experienced dancers would rather have cakes and coffee in the cafes over the road rather than going to the lessons.

I really hate to say it, but the only solution would be to have to audition to be granted a Hipsters membership card. I would be prepared to train in order to reach the needed standard to gain membership. Having to reserve your places in advance rather than just turn up at the door would keep the numbers capped at a level were everyone could enjoy themselves. I can't see the above measures being popular either to impliment or within the current ethos of MJ being fun and open to all regardless of ability. Take Hipsters off the general dance listings. If you are serious about dance you will know all about Hipsters. Keep it to a members newsletter.

It would be a help (to me) if the Big Freestyle was on a Saturday. It is really tough to work all week, shower at work, grab some sandwiches, blat along the M25 for two hours, dance while still tired and then get home about 3:30 - 4 am. I end up tired before I start and wasted for the rest of the weekend. If you are going to attract the best dancers from places like Oxford, Bristol and Southampton then friday night traffic and leaving them wasted for the rest of the weekend is serious downer.

As before, these are just my personal opinions. As long as you know I am someone that loves the concept of Hipsters and really wants to see it survive and flourish while retaining it origional concept.

Cruella
8th-August-2005, 04:19 PM
IHipsters needs a unique selling point to survive in the increasingly competative London dance market and has pitched at providing a unique and high standard of teaching (hurrah - just wish I lived in West London). As a result, it has reputation as being the place where the best dancers go (it is that and the standards of lessons that attracts me) but it is becoming a vitctim of it's own success. It is now a horrendous crush, and a place where experienced dancers would rather have cakes and coffee in the cafes over the road rather than going to the lessons.

I really hate to say it, but the only solution would be to have to audition to be granted a Hipsters membership card. I would be prepared to train in order to reach the needed standard to gain membership. Having to reserve your places in advance rather than just turn up at the door would keep the numbers capped at a level were everyone could enjoy themselves. I can't see the above measures being popular either to impliment or within the current ethos of MJ being fun and open to all regardless of ability. Take Hipsters off the general dance listings. If you are serious about dance you will know all about Hipsters. Keep it to a members newsletter.

It would be a help (to me) if the Big Freestyle was on a Saturday. It is really tough to work all week, shower at work, grab some sandwiches, blat along the M25 for two hours, dance while still tired and then get home about 3:30 - 4 am. I end up tired before I start and wasted for the rest of the weekend. If you are going to attract the best dancers from places like Oxford, Bristol and Southampton then friday night traffic and leaving them wasted for the rest of the weekend is serious downer.

As before, these are just my personal opinions. As long as you know I am someone that loves the concept of Hipsters and really wants to see it survive and flourish while retaining it origional concept.

I was having this exact conversation with ZW and Lucy Locket on the journey down to Hipsters. I said how it would be great (in an ideal world) if you could only let a certain standard of dancer into BFF which i know reeks of elitism and selfishness. In reality of course this would never work, who would be the one to say if you are or are not of acceptable standard? How gutted are we going to be, not to be allowed into the freestyle because we are not worthy of dancing with the best dancers.
When i first started going to Hipsters the floor craft was fabulous, i never got bumped or stomped on even though it was busy. Lately though i seem to come home from BFF with bruises all the time. Is this due to the floor being too busy or the standard of some of the dancers? I'm afraid i think it is the latter as even during the last hour when there was more than enough room i was getting bumped and kicked. Some of the problem seems to be with people who aren't actually dancing, walking through the middle of the dancers!
Also if the music was more challenging it would be more attractive to the 'serious' dancer and the social dancer would prefer to go to another venue. But unfortunately Hipsters is there to make money like all businesses therefore the priority for raising the standard of dancer isn't in their interest.
Look at Jango, challenging music, fantastic dancers. But extremely small numbers therefore will never be a money spinner. But oh how it is appreciated!!

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2005, 04:31 PM
As a result, it has reputation as being the place where the best dancers go.Is that reputation justified? Everytime I've been there's been a *very* mixed bag of abilities. Just like at a Hammersmith freestyle, or any other large event.

bigdjiver
8th-August-2005, 04:50 PM
:devil: Put the price up? :devil:

Chef
8th-August-2005, 04:56 PM
Is that reputation justified? Everytime I've been there's been a *very* mixed bag of abilities. Just like at a Hammersmith freestyle, or any other large event.

My personal view is that it still has a reputation as where the best dancers go. It is just that an awful lot of other people also go there.

It is a seperate question of how long these "best dancers" will continue to go there, when they can expect to be coming home bruised and battered. You can't lead a woman into something as simple as a catapult because someone always seems to be standing behind you. As soon as you do manage to lead the woman behind you you find that you can't bring them back to your front because someone else has dived into the space in front of you. It's a leaders nightmare (not to mention bloody dangerous to the follower).

And suddenly finding myself with a lady in flip flops in the masterclass!!! I found myself blinking wildly and wondering if I had eaten cheese before going to bed and hoping that the falling feeling would start so that I could wake up and find it was only a bad dream.

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2005, 05:34 PM
It is a seperate question of how long these "best dancers" will continue to go there, when they can expect to be coming home bruised and battered.I always enjoy the argument that because a venue is extremely popular, something must be done to make it less popular to prevent it from becoming so unpopularly popular that no one goes there any more and it ceases to be somewhere that anyone would want to go, and dies of unpopularity.

I think.

Chef
8th-August-2005, 06:05 PM
I always enjoy the argument that because a venue is extremely popular, something must be done to make it less popular to prevent it from becoming so unpopularly popular that no one goes there any more and it ceases to be somewhere that anyone would want to go, and dies of unpopularity.

I think.

Well why do you think Hipsters was formed?

I was told (and it seems reasonable to me) that it was formed to provide a niche provider to all those people that had "been there, done that" on the MJ scene. To provide a venue with challenging teaching and music. If you look at the Hammersmith Ceroc Venue I thought that the "no row" and "cliche" by the stage were an embroyonic Hipsters when I found them. They taught each other and to get admittance to the club you had to provide and acceptable audition in front of the "no row". They were more or less a club within a club keeping out hand manglers, faller overs, and the hand bouncers. I stopped going to Hammersmith because it was a long drive, very crowded, and the music was pooh (IMO). If it so crowded that you can't actually dance and you get battered and stepped on what exactly are you there for?

We could just try a little experiment. Next BFFF we could get another 100 people to go more than last time. The time after that we could add a further 100. At which point would you think this place is so popular it is no fun to dance at?

The london underground system in rush hour is very popular but I wouldn't describe it as fun. Would you?

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2005, 06:24 PM
The london underground system in rush hour is very popular but I wouldn't describe it as fun. Would you?It can be ... if you're standing next to the right person. :D

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2005, 06:36 PM
Well why do you think Hipsters was formed?Seriously, though, I don't know. But looking at the official Hipsters website (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A//www.jivelive.com/hipsters), it doesn't say it's for advanced dancers only:
If it so crowded that you can't actually dance and you get battered and stepped on what exactly are you there for?I didn't find it as bad as you did, although it was crowded, I agree. If you did find it that bad - what is your answer to your own question?

It does sound a little like you're asking for the venue to be tailored exactly to your own needs - just the dancers you'd like to dance with - no-one else should know about it - and even on a different evening, one that's more convenient for you personally.

You can always (seriously) open your own venue, and see if and when it becomes almost too popular you have the same opinion about scaling it back.

Minnie M
8th-August-2005, 07:22 PM
Most of the Lindy/Swing lot were with me at Camp Savoy - did this make a difference to the music and the numbers ?

David Bailey
8th-August-2005, 08:29 PM
Well why do you think Hipsters was formed?
Err, to make oodles of cash, I assume. Like any new business.

To provide a venue with challenging teaching and music.
Ooh, I'm so tempted to make a smartarse comment here... :devil:

If you look at the Hammersmith Ceroc Venue I thought that the "no row" and "cliche" by the stage were an embroyonic Hipsters when I found them.
That's really not endearing me to Hipsters - no-rows are Eeeevil.

They taught each other and to get admittance to the club you had to provide and acceptable audition in front of the "no row".
Sorry, but this whole thing gets my goat. :mad:
{rant}
There's no way, I repeat, no f***ing way, that I'm auditioning in front of anyone, ever, to get a freestyle dance. If you want to see how I dance, watch me by all means, but I don't do performances just to gain approval.
{/rant}

They were more or less a club within a club keeping out hand manglers, faller overs, and the hand bouncers.
Or, putting it another way, they became an elite group and stopped helping less-experienced dancers improve.

If it so crowded that you can't actually dance and you get battered and stepped on what exactly are you there for?
I do have some sympathy with this argument - I've been there when it's too crowded to enjoy myself. If that happens at Hipsters, I usually either leave or go to the salsa downstairs - I'm not keen on sitting out a dance until the place empties. Plus, I usually fall asleep if I sit down :)

It is a problem when a venue becomes too popular, it loses some of the original atmosphere. But that's market forces at work for you - the only realistic solution is to bump up the entry prices in the hope of reducing supply.

Or, in London at least, you can vote with your feet and find somewhere else to go. For example, in this case, Cheshunt...

Jon Brett
8th-August-2005, 08:44 PM
Err, to make oodles of cash, I assume. Like any new business.

erm, no, it wasn't. In fact, we believe we are the cheapest in London.

djtrev
8th-August-2005, 09:18 PM
Would someone care to explain what no-rows are,please

Andreas
8th-August-2005, 09:18 PM
To provide a venue with challenging teaching and music.

Don't know about the teaching because, with one exception that did not impressme, I usually get there late due to work. But if the point you make in terms of music is true then all I can say is FAILED big time. The music at Ashton's and Jango tea dance is MUCH more challenging than what is being played at Hipsters. There is way too much simple disco type of music being played to provide an environment with challenging music. :(

That whole elitist stuff you mentioned makes me puke just as much as DJ. If there were really people behaving like that then they have over-estimated themselves severely because nobody is EVER good enough to humiliate other people. And quite frankly if all you said was still the case I'd no longer go to Hipsters.

David Bailey
8th-August-2005, 09:28 PM
Would someone care to explain what no-rows are,please
Basically, this refers to the row of Ladeez at some venues who sit on the stage and say "no" to all strangers asking them to dance.

They are Things Of Badness - see here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5533) for details.

El Salsero Gringo
8th-August-2005, 09:50 PM
{rant}
There's no way, I repeat, no f***ing way, that I'm auditioning in front of anyone, ever, to get a freestyle dance. If you want to see how I dance, watch me by all means, but I don't do performances just to gain approval.
{/rant}Er, I think that was just Chef's take on the Hammersmith thing; it certainly isn't mine - you'll have your own experiences of course.

Chef
8th-August-2005, 10:52 PM
Don't know about the teaching because, with one exception that did not impressme, I usually get there late due to work. But if the point you make in terms of music is true then all I can say is FAILED big time. The music at Ashton's and Jango tea dance is MUCH more challenging than what is being played at Hipsters. There is way too much simple disco type of music being played to provide an environment with challenging music. :(

That whole elitist stuff you mentioned makes me puke just as much as DJ. If there were really people behaving like that then they have over-estimated themselves severely because nobody is EVER good enough to humiliate other people. And quite frankly if all you said was still the case I'd no longer go to Hipsters.

I fully agree with you about the music at Jango. I cannot comment about Ashtons because I have never been there. I said what Hipsters was like when it started. For me, as for you, the music now fails for me too. It didn't used to be that way for me. Either it has changed or I have. That is just my feeling but I do know many people like it as it is now as can be evidenced by the number of people here who say they hardly missed a dance all night (which is odd since at least two of them expressed to me the same view as Andreas at the venue on Friday).

People are already making choices about the clientele at Hipsters. People are travelling great distances, getting there in time, but choosing to eat nearby for the stated reason that the people in the lessons are generally not up to the lessons.

I told you what I saw on many occasions at Hammersmith. In effect the "no row" were forming their own club where the admittance criteria was dancing ability. I did not say that is what I experienced at Hipsters.

People are free to make choices about who they dance with for a whole variety of reasons like them being pervy, sweaty, smelly, dangerous in drops, arm yanker or just being plain rubbish at dancing. That is what the "no row" were doing - making choices about who they wanted to dance with. Everybody knows who they had good or bad dances with. They seek out those they have had good dances with or those they have seen dancing well with others. People also make a similar choice to avoid people that have hurt them, danced very badly, or seen them dancing very badly with others.

The bottom line is that Hipsters is too crowded at the moment for me to enjoy dancing there no matter what music is playing. Pity, because the lessons are fab. Maybe for you London folk this is normal but for us outside the M25 we can take a rock step without finding a stilleto stuck in our trouser cuff, and I sort of like that.

So the question is - how much more crowded does it have to get before you don't enjoy dancing there anymore?

Do you think they could fit 50 more people in? 100? 150? 200?

Andreas
8th-August-2005, 11:55 PM
Well, I see your point. That is probably also why I am hardly ever at Hammersmith. I simply do neither like the music played nor the whole atmosphere.

I did only sit out two dances last Friday at Hipsters, too. But that was not so much because I loved the music but because I went there for dancing, not for sitting out. As for 'big' dance nights, I do still rate Hipsters #2 after Ashton's. To me Ashton's wins because they play a lot more music with attitude, music that actually screams to be interpreted rather than boring disco music the only challenge of which may be its speed or the fact that you have to think about moves because they lack any inspiration.

Also agree with you in regards to the crowded dance floor. I tend to challenge myself with moving in the spaces that open up. This works sometimes better than at other times. Problem is just, once you grow tired of that game you really lose the pleasure of the dance.

:flower:

Jon Brett
9th-August-2005, 12:12 AM
Out of interest, which Aston's night are we talking about here?

Jon Brett
9th-August-2005, 01:10 AM
So to sum up:

At Hipsters there is too much variety, too much disco, too much rock 'n' roll, it was the same all night but it got good towards the end and the music was fab all night.

The music is all wrong for the night and you wish it wasn't so popular because it's over-crowded. Cheshunt would've been a better bet because that was only a bit over-crowded.

The lessons are good because they are challenging, but the dancers find them too hard. There was not enough freestyle, but it was the same amount as Bedford and Cheshunt which had plenty.

Jango is one of the best nights around and the only problem with it is that not very many people go.

The bar is not as good as Ashton's which is too expensive.

Cheshunt was a good attraction because it was cheap for forumites this time, unlike Hipsters (which was formed to make "oodles of cash") which is cheaper than everywhere else for everybody everytime.

Anything I missed?

Andreas
9th-August-2005, 01:22 AM
Out of interest, which Aston's night are we talking about here?

monthly dance

under par
9th-August-2005, 01:30 AM
So to sum up:

At Hipsters there is too much variety, too much disco, too much rock 'n' roll, it was the same all night but it got good towards the end and the music was fab all night.

The music is all wrong for the night and you wish it wasn't so popular because it's over-crowded. Cheshunt would've been a better bet because that was only a bit over-crowded.

The lessons are good because they are challenging, but the dancers find them too hard. There was not enough freestyle, but it was the same amount as Bedford and Cheshunt which had plenty.

Jango is one of the best nights around and the only problem with it is that not very many people go.

The bar is not as good as Ashton's which is too expensive.

Cheshunt was a good attraction because it was cheap for forumites this time, unlike Hipsters (which was formed to make "tonnes of cash") which is cheaper than everywhere else for everybody everytime.

Anything I missed?

Jon you have very aptly summarised the many and varied opinions of a cross section of forum dancers.

They all have the right to there opinion and the right to express those thoughts here on the forum.

You as a DJ at one of the venues have a vested interest in the opinion and feed back resulting from forumites opinion.

The most important opinion for the DJ though should be the sound of dancing feet on the floor in front of him/her.

My own opinion is that music maketh the night. If I am inspired by the music nothing on earth will stop me from dancing. I will dance with a broom handle if there is no one else available.

I was at Hipsters on Friday and I was inspired by a lot of the music you played, but there were periods that for ME didn't do it.

The good by far outweighed the bad.

I had a great night dancing with many, many fantastic dancers.

Mrs Par also had a great night dancing with the many fine leads that were present.

You can never play a set that will be right 100% for 100 % of the people attending and nobody expects that.

I have been to Ashtons a few times and to Jango and been to Cheshunt once.

All have their own style, each is rightly different and each has many plus points and several minus points.

Too much over analysis of the pros and cons of every venue can be a little tedious.

You pay your money , you take your chances.

LONG LIVE VARIETY...............otherwise we would all be the same. :flower:

Jon Brett
9th-August-2005, 01:34 AM
Too much over analysis of the pros and cons of every venue can be a little tedious. LONG LIVE VARIETY...............otherwise we would all be the same. :flower:

You da man! :cheers:

ps. isn't it way past your bedtime?

under par
9th-August-2005, 01:40 AM
You da man! :cheers:

ps. isn't it way past your bedtime?

It is getting late but the bottle of red is not empty yet..... :whistle:

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 08:47 AM
Er, I think that was just Chef's take on the Hammersmith thing; it certainly isn't mine - you'll have your own experiences of course.
Well, Rhythm King (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125280&postcount=2) said much the same thing about auditioning, so I assume it's either a seriously good meme / urban legend, or has some basis in fact.

I fully agree with you about the music at Jango. I cannot comment about Ashtons because I have never been there.
I can't comment about Jango, but certainly Ashtons is (in)famous for challenging music :)

As for Hipsters, I haven't personally found the music to be either good or bad - it's OK, most of the tracks were danceable, but there wasn't enough latin for me (then again, there rarely is).

People are travelling great distances, getting there in time, but choosing to eat nearby for the stated reason that the people in the lessons are generally not up to the lessons.
That does seem a little weird I agree. OTOH Ealing's got lots of lurvely coffee shops and cafes, My Old Dutch may be too much to resist... :grin:

I told you what I saw on many occasions at Hammersmith. In effect the "no row" were forming their own club where the admittance criteria was dancing ability. I did not say that is what I experienced at Hipsters.

Actually, I have seen mini no-rows by the stage at Hipsters too - also at Casbah, which was where I originally heard the term.

People are free to make choices about who they dance with for a whole variety of reasons like them being pervy, sweaty, smelly, dangerous in drops, arm yanker
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes - all perfectly reasonable reasons.

or just being plain rubbish at dancing.
Ah, no. Making yes/no judgements on the basis of dancing ability, perceived or otherwise, is just plain wrong. We were all rubbish at one point (some of us still are), and we improved largely because we could dance with nice experienced dancers who could raise our game.

Everybody knows who they had good or bad dances with. They seek out those they have had good dances with or those they have seen dancing well with others. People also make a similar choice to avoid people that have hurt them,
Sure, on an individual basis - but when it turns into group behaviour (or "intitutionalised elitism"), that's when it starts getting nasty.

danced very badly, or seen them dancing very badly with others.
Not personally, I don't really watch other people dancing - and I'd hope I wouldn't avoid dancing with someone just because they weren't yet good. But who knows, I'm only human :blush:

So the question is - how much more crowded does it have to get before you don't enjoy dancing there anymore?

Do you think they could fit 50 more people in? 100? 150? 200?
Out of interest, how many people were there?

Feelingpink
9th-August-2005, 08:57 AM
DavidJames, I disagree with your comments about running Hipsters. I can't imagine that Hipsters was started only to make "oodles of cash". Dancers seem to be a fickle lot and to get the balance right with a 'formulae' that hasn't been tried before wouldn't be my first choice of business plan. Sometimes people start business mainly because they believe in what they are doing ... and I would think that the case for anyone starting a new dance venue/event that steps outside the 'norm'. If they make money too, good on them. They're being rewarded for taking chances - and gives them the financial power to take chances again. I see this as a good thing for MJ.

Putting up the entry price isn't the "only realistic solution" to reducing numbers. Greenwich Ceroc party nights limit numbers and balance girls & boys - last time I went it meant there was lots of room to dance and lots of guys to dance with. Frankly, I think it's a much better model than the night being unlimited because the dance experience will be a lot more predictable and Dan, Kelly and Russell won't be fending off overcrowding complaints for the next six months/six years.

When I got fed up with overcrowding at Hipsters Fridays, I emailed Franco to let him know how I felt. He said he would have a word with Nigel about it and that's the last I heard. If more than enough dancers are going to the Hipsters Friday nights, then I guess the organisers have the choice of changing the format or letting things run. I just wonder if the Friday nights were effectively subsidising the Tuesday nights when numbers apparently dropped. And I don't have a solution for how or if the Tuesday nights need to change to attract a better crowd than they have been, if they reopen. Hipsters Tuesdays were the reason for my reawakening to MJ and it would be a terrible shame to have them disappear.

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 09:15 AM
So to sum up:

Sounds about normal to me :rofl:

Cheshunt was a good attraction because it was cheap for forumites this time, unlike Hipsters (which was formed to make "oodles of cash") which is cheaper than everywhere else for everybody everytime.

Anything I missed?
Yes:
- Different people have different opinions
- The process of taking, collating and responding to feedback is a non-trivial exercise
- Forumites have definite strong views

None of these should really be shocking facts... :innocent:

El Salsero Gringo
9th-August-2005, 09:20 AM
Rather than limit numbers, or put the price up - What if those who thought the dance floor was too crowded just sat out a few more dances? If everyone missed out one dance in four then there'd be 25% fewer people dancing at any one time and more room for those that were dancing.

You might even say that on such a crowded night, to dance every track is inconsiderate and greedy.

under par
9th-August-2005, 09:24 AM
I feel that the friday night at Hipsters is a raging success once a month because the organisers offer at least one thing that some others don't.(Ashtons do once a month as well I just remembered !!)

A late finish.

I'm sure some of only really get going and dancing well after a few hours freestyle.

The length of freestyle may be similar to some venues but after a long week having the more time to get ready, get out and arrive at 9 and still have 4 hours left in the venue is a big big plus for me.

i have often checked the time at BFF and been really excited that although I had been dancing for ages I still had an hour (or 2) left.

The weekender experiences and the BFF and Ashtons have made me( and I believe some other like minded addicts,) have a longing for many more late nights with the music to inspire. :yeah:

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 09:27 AM
DavidJames, I disagree with your comments about running Hipsters. I can't imagine that Hipsters was started only to make "oodles of cash".
Actually, it was a question, not a comment. And I never said "only".

But seriously, what's wrong with that anyway? I wish to God that more dance venue organisers would work for money rather than love - to me, that'd put some more professionalism into the whole scene. Cutthroat capitalism, red in tooth in claw, that's what we need.

Dancers seem to be a fickle lot and to get the balance right with a 'formulae' that hasn't been tried before wouldn't be my first choice of business plan.
Mmm, dunno - offering something "new, different and exciting" might be the only way to compete for an independent. The real bucks only come in with innovation IMO. (hopefully I'm not sounding too much like Microsoft here... :eek:

But having said that, I'm not totally sure what makes Hipsters unique - as a freestyle venue, it's nice, but there are lots of nice freestyle venues in the London area. Maybe it's the only non-Ceroc venue with it's own No-Row? :whistle:

Sometimes people start business mainly because they believe in what they are doing ... and I would think that the case for anyone starting a new dance venue/event that steps outside the 'norm'. If they make money too, good on them. They're being rewarded for taking chances - and gives them the financial power to take chances again. I see this as a good thing for MJ.
I have absolutely no problem with that.

Putting up the entry price isn't the "only realistic solution" to reducing numbers. Greenwich Ceroc party nights limit numbers and balance girls & boys - last time I went it meant there was lots of room to dance and lots of guys to dance with.
Sure, and :clap: to Greenwich organisers to putting in the effort, they're heroes.

But how would that realistically work with a regular non-Ceroc event (where the organisers have no membership database to market to)? Would you suggest they just turned people (women) away at the door once the limit has been reached? I can't see that being too popular...

Blimey, only back 2 days and I'm arguing...

under par
9th-August-2005, 09:32 AM
You might even say that on such a crowded night, to dance every track is inconsiderate and greedy.

Not at all.

What rubbish.

I pay my money i take my chances.

I pay for a whole evenings dancing and that is just what I am going to have OKAY! :flower:

Paul F
9th-August-2005, 09:42 AM
I feel that the friday night at Hipsters is a raging success once a month because the organisers offer at least one thing that some others don't.(Ashtons do once a month as well I just remembered !!)

A late finish.

This is definately one of the big draws for me. A lot of time, as like may others, I travel quite a distance to dance. If the freestyle is just 8-12 I immediately dismiss it. Not because of the lack of quality or whatever but simply due to the fact that I know it will only get busy at 9 which leaves 3 hours :sad:

Ok, 3 hours is quite a lot but it just seems to go :rolleyes:

To plan for some of my trips down south I have looked round many websites to find dance nights. I have read numerous event advertisements that promise the world and sounds great, until I read the opening times.

Feelingpink
9th-August-2005, 09:44 AM
But having said that, I'm not totally sure what makes Hipsters unique - as a freestyle venue, it's nice, but there are lots of nice freestyle venues in the London area. Maybe it's the only non-Ceroc venue with it's own No-Row? :whistle:
I'm not sure that Hipsters (Tuesdays) is unique any more, but it certainly used to be the venue where you would find the best dancers, great music and lessons from Nigel & Nina that are about style & musicality as well as moves. Perhaps Hipsters has meant that other venues have lifted their game? I don't go to many venues, so perhaps others could comment here.

Sure, and :clap: to Greenwich organisers to putting in the effort, they're heroes.

But how would that realistically work with a regular non-Ceroc event (where the organisers have no membership database to market to)? Would you suggest they just turned people (women) away at the door once the limit has been reached? I can't see that being too popular...
Yes, turn people away. The limiting factors are advertised alongside the other details (time, date, venue) so that you only have yourself to blame if you miss out. If you want to go, you book a ticket. If it's good enough for a Bruce Springstein concert ... why not an MJ venue?

Paul F
9th-August-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure that Hipsters (Tuesdays) is unique any more, but it certainly used to be the venue where you would find the best dancers, great music and lessons from Nigel & Nina that are about style & musicality as well as moves. Perhaps Hipsters has meant that other venues have lifted their game? I don't go to many venues, so perhaps others could comment here.

I used to LOVE Hipsters.
Twice a week I would be there without fail. Fabulous classes with great music and dancers. It was the defining evening in my view.

I also thought it was good for MJ in general. By having a night that really did surpass the others it forced Ceroc to raise its game.

From all accounts the gulf between Hipsters and the others has now reduced to <insert word meaning something a lot smaller than a gulf>
Its a shame but what could the Hipsters crew do to get back to that status?

(interesting how we never used to be able to mention the H word on here! - thats how popular it was)

Donna
9th-August-2005, 10:15 AM
I used to LOVE Hipsters.
Twice a week I would be there without fail. Fabulous classes with great music and dancers. It was the defining evening in my view.

I also thought it was good for MJ in general. By having a night that really did surpass the others it forced Ceroc to raise its game.

From all accounts the gulf between Hipsters and the others has now reduced to <insert word meaning something a lot smaller than a gulf>
Its a shame but what could the Hipsters crew do to get back to that status?

(interesting how we never used to be able to mention the H word on here! - thats how popular it was)

That funny...thought it still was popular. I hear a few peeps up here mention it a lot...those who have been and said it was fab. Approx how many people turn up for the class now compared to the number of people in the early days then?? Next time i'm in London I'll be checking it out myself anyway. :)

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 10:28 AM
Yes, turn people away. The limiting factors are advertised alongside the other details (time, date, venue) so that you only have yourself to blame if you miss out. If you want to go, you book a ticket. If it's good enough for a Bruce Springstein concert ... why not an MJ venue?
Because many people (myself included) decide to go at the last minute, and many other people may not know it's a limited-numbers event. So, I think, "Oh, it's the first Friday of the month - Hipsters must be on, I'll pop on down". I'd be massively hacked-off if I were turned away - certainly I'd be reluctant to ever go there again. (Possibly that's not a bad thing :) )

Also, to me (and bear in mind I have zero experience organising anything), it seems you can only realistically impose limits on numbers / ratios for ticket-only events, which are advertised in advance. I don't believe Hipsters have the organisational structure to manage such events - e.g. a customer database.

Of course, limiting numbers would reduce the "oodles of cash" factor, not that I'd ever suggest anyone would be motivated by such sordid details as profit. Unless you raised the prices as well - hold on, deja vu...

Russell Saxby
9th-August-2005, 10:30 AM
Bruce Springstein

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Russell Saxby
9th-August-2005, 10:47 AM
Also, to me (and bear in mind I have zero experience organising anything), it seems you can only realistically impose limits on numbers / ratios for ticket-only events, which are advertised in advance. I don't believe Hipsters have the organisational structure to manage such events - e.g. a customer database.

Ok so lets say I organise. A limited ticket event / invitation / forum only night freestyle on the night of the next BFF.

As far as I see everyone is a winner including Hipsters i.e. more space to dance at Hipsters improved rep etc. See Ceroc ain't that bad after all, happy to help the competition :D

All I need to do now is find a venue available on a Friday night...... :eek: Ok so that may take a bit of time to organise, so maybe the BFF after next, or the one after that :(

Any takers??

Russell

Cruella
9th-August-2005, 10:53 AM
I guess finding a bigger venue could solve alot of the overcrowding problems! It's a shame the other room is already in use, because it could be used as a blues room or Latin quarter which would free up some space in the main room.
And ESG to suggest we sit out some dances :eek: you may be happy to do that but for us that have travelled two hours to get to Hipsters we want to dance every single track to warrent the journey,
The no row at Hammersmith also has MEN in it DJ. :sad:

Feelingpink
9th-August-2005, 10:57 AM
Because many people (myself included) decide to go at the last minute, and many other people may not know it's a limited-numbers event. So, I think, "Oh, it's the first Friday of the month - Hipsters must be on, I'll pop on down". I'd be massively hacked-off if I were turned away - certainly I'd be reluctant to ever go there again. (Possibly that's not a bad thing :) )
You think "I'll pop on down" because you can. If you knew that tickets were limited, you'd have to think differently. And many of us would be happy to make up our minds earlier if we knew our dance experience was going to be good, with room to dance and relatively even numbers.

So make BFFF a ticket-only event which is advertised in advance. Hipsters, if it was to be a limited event, has a web site, a loyal following, there is this forum, lynda's list - many, many ways to publicise limited tickets. If dancers can manage to get the information of an event's start time, class time etc, they can manage to "get" the concept of pre-buying tickets if they want a guaranteed place. You could easily say, for instance, that the BFFF would have limited numbers from October - so that the August and September events would inform regulars. What makes you say that a database is needed to limit numbers? I seem to remember giving over my email address to Hipsters anyway, so there probably is a database.

There is also another way ... two-tier ticket pricing. If you want the luxury of making up your mind at the last minute, that's fine, but it will cost you. There will be a limited number of tickets on the door in addition to those pre-sold, first come, first served. They will just be £10 (or whatever) more expensive than pre-sold tickets.

Groovy Dancer
9th-August-2005, 10:57 AM
Not at all.

What rubbish.

I pay my money i take my chances.

I pay for a whole evenings dancing and that is just what I am going to have OKAY! :flower:

:yeah: :yeah:

under par
9th-August-2005, 11:02 AM
Ok so lets say I organise. A limited ticket event / invitation / forum only night freestyle on the night of the next BFF.

As far as I see everyone is a winner including Hipsters i.e. more space to dance at Hipsters improved rep etc. See Ceroc ain't that bad after all, happy to help the competition :D

All I need to do now is find a venue available on a Friday night...... :eek: Ok so that may take a bit of time to organise, so maybe the BFF after next, or the one after that :(

Any takers??

Russell

Will there be dancing till 3 or 4 o-clock in the morning too ?

If so form an orderly queue behind me :cheers: :cheers: :clap: :clap:

I said an orderly queue ZW................. get back now SF..... :rofl:

Feelingpink
9th-August-2005, 11:05 AM

Any takers??

Russell
YUP. But no Brucie :whistle:

Chef
9th-August-2005, 11:19 AM

Any takers??

Russell

Yup! Count Commis Chef and I in.

Cruella
9th-August-2005, 11:22 AM
Will be good as long as it's not even further for me to travel :sick:

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 11:29 AM
Don't worry, it only take a couple of minutes to get from North London to South London on a Friday night :innocent:

Paul F
9th-August-2005, 11:48 AM
Can we get some intial event ideas.

Is this an 'invitation' only or word of mouth event or is it going to be promoted some other way?

Is it the BFG - London branch?

Is it just for experienced dancers?

Its an intriguing idea but I am worried about the possible knock on effects.

LMC
9th-August-2005, 12:07 PM
Define experienced... if it's based on time/ability, then I probably wouldn't be invited :tears:

Hmmm, if Russell is holding this as a private party then he gets to invite who he likes surely? (yes this is a shameless 'creep' so I get on that list < grin >) Even though it will be on the basis that we all chip in for costs by paying to get in then I can't see what the concern re: 'knock on effects' is - unless it's a concern that we all get spoilt and demand a special exclusive event every week? But yes, we do need a 'definition' of who is and isn't invited please Russell :flower:

Mary
9th-August-2005, 12:09 PM
So what is wrong with a ticketed event? It's not exactly a new concept in the MJ world. Jag Jive has been doing it a while now, although not exactly ticketed he advises emailing if you intend to go and your name is put on the list at the door, and he keeps a some spaces clear for those who just turn up on the night if they are not too late. Also other MJ special events are usually tickets bought in advance.

Haven't heard anyone have a problem with this and it seems to work - except on one occasion. The New Years Eve ball at Ealing one year - tickets only, but Franco sold some extra tickets - well, rather a lot of extra tickets, and they weren't exactly cheap!!! I believe that may have done that event a lot of damage for the following year.

But IMO the way Russell at Greenwich and John at Jag Jive do it seems to do the trick. And if your event is that popular then people may just do anything :devil: to get a place.

M

Chef
9th-August-2005, 12:16 PM

Is this an 'invitation' only or word of mouth event or is it going to be promoted some other way?

An organiser, in a musing moment of a conversation, suggested that they might talk to dancers at a weekend event and ask dancers that they thought were good and ask if they would draw up a list of the top 12 dancers (that weren't teachers) that they personally would love to find at their dream freestyle.

If they asked an equal number of men and women to do this then they would have a balanced number of reccomendations. I guess, the more times your name crops up on a list then the higher your chances of being invited to the dance is. The dancers are then sent invitations and asked if they would come. You then stop inviting people when you either run out of people to invite or you meet the numbers limit that you have set for your venue.

Interesting thought though. I wonder if they ever did it?

Paul F
9th-August-2005, 12:23 PM
Define experienced... if it's based on time/ability, then I probably wouldn't be invited :tears:

Hmmm, if Russell is holding this as a private party then he gets to invite who he likes surely? (yes this is a shameless 'creep' so I get on that list < grin >) Even though it will be on the basis that we all chip in for costs by paying to get in then I can't see what the concern re: 'knock on effects' is - unless it's a concern that we all get spoilt and demand a special exclusive event every week? But yes, we do need a 'definition' of who is and isn't invited please Russell :flower:

If its just a ticketed event then I have no worries about that whatsoever.

What I am worried about are the other two words - "invitiation" and "forum".

If its treated as a private party then, of course, Russell is entitled to invite anyone he wants. It would be a great night.
What concerns me is this.

Imagine it is an invitation only event with invites being sent to those on this forum and 'selected' others. I think its fair to say that this would target a large part of the 'advanced' dancers.
The night is a fantastic night with real advanced classes and fab dancers all dancing until 2 oclock in the morning. Great.

Lets say its SO good that this is done every week, every month, whatever.

We would then be in a situation where we have a closed-door policy evening masquerading as a private party. Meanwhile all of the other clubs running on that night and possibly that weekend lose many, if not all, of their advanced dancers.

I am concerned that it just wouldnt be fair on the competitors.

Of course I would love to go to this invitation only party but it would worry me.

Feelingpink
9th-August-2005, 12:26 PM
If its just a ticketed event then I have no worries about that whatsoever.

What I am worried about are the other two words - "invitiation" and "forum".

If its treated as a private party then, of course, Russell is entitled to invite anyone he wants. It would be a great night.
What concerns me is this.

Imagine it is an invitation only event with invites being sent to those on this forum and 'selected' others. I think its fair to say that this would target a large part of the 'advanced' dancers.
The night is a fantastic night with real advanced classes and fab dancers all dancing until 2 oclock in the morning. Great.

We would then be in a situation where we have a closed-door policy evening masquerading as a private party. Meanwhile all of the other clubs running on that night and possibly that weekend lose many, if not all, of their advanced dancers.

Of course I would love to go to this invitation only party but it would worry me.Whoah! Could we just back off a little with our imaginationings and let Russell have some time to at least figure out if a night of ANY DESCRIPTION is possible. :blush: :flower:

Paul F
9th-August-2005, 12:28 PM
Whoah! Could we just back off a little with our imaginationings and let Russell have some time to at least figure out if a night of ANY DESCRIPTION is possible. :blush: :flower:

Awww, But this is more fun :tears: :tears:

:flower:

Russell Saxby
9th-August-2005, 12:32 PM

I was / am just thinking aloud. As original post said, venue will be a stumbling block... and as David pointed out travelling across London on a Friday can be a real mare.

If (a big if) something like this was to go ahead, then I am against the idea of only inviting the "best" dancers.

I do have a few ideas. How about a ballot of sorts?? (thinking aloud again)

Anyways, I am off work this week, never did get to Barcelona, so off to the cinema instead - catch ya all later.

Russell.

Msfab
9th-August-2005, 12:37 PM

Anyways, I am off work this week, never did get to Barcelona, so off to the cinema instead - catch ya all later.

Russell.

What are you going to see?

Paul F
9th-August-2005, 12:37 PM
I was / am just thinking aloud. As original post said, venue will be a stumbling block... and as David pointed out travelling across London on a Friday can be a real mare.

If (a big if) something like this was to go ahead, then I am against the idea of only inviting the "best" dancers.

Russell.

:cheers:
Im just getting a wee bit over excited :)

I guess its a 'watch this space' for now.

Little Em
9th-August-2005, 12:38 PM

yeah totally agree with that! though we would prob travel down together!! :wink:

I would definately go along! :clap:

Russell Saxby
[QUOTE=Paul F]

QUOTE]

Hi Paul

You just beat me to it, hopefully my last post clarifies.. my personal opinion is for it to be mixed abilities.. that is the only way beginners learn.

any ways off to the cinema

cheers

Russell

LMC

Of course I would love to go to this invitation only party but it would worry me.

I can absolutely see your point, but as I'm a horrible person, my reaction is slightly "so what?" - *life* ain't fair, it's a dog-eat-dog world out there, etc etc.

If I wasn't invited on the basis that I'm not an advanced dancer ('cos I ain't) then sure I'd be upset - but it would make me more determined to improve.

As a not-very-good dancer, I need to dance with better dancers to help me improve. There are some wonderful patient people out there who have helped and advised me - and they almost certainly spend increasing amounts of their time doing just that with less able dancers at their regular venues because the 'less able' dancers form a higher proportion of partners for them than they do for me. So even though they enjoy bringing beginners on, why shouldn't these lovely people have a night off once a week/month where they can relax in the assurance that they are always going to be dancing with their peers (rather than having to "work" with eggs like me).

EDIT: OK, I'm getting over-excited too :rofl: - no pressure Russell!

Additionally, I do actually agree with it being non-exclusive *ability*-wise (well, I would wouldn't I?) - but it would be nice to think that it was exclusive *attitude*-wise - i.e. invitations to people who want to improve their dancing rather than open to anyone in flip flops who wants a cheap night out...

Paul F
9th-August-2005, 12:44 PM
I can absolutely see your point, but as I'm a horrible person, my reaction is slightly "so what?" - *life* ain't fair, it's a dog-eat-dog world out there, etc etc.

If I wasn't invited on the basis that I'm not an advanced dancer ('cos I ain't) then sure I'd be upset - but it would make me more determined to improve.

As a not-very-good dancer, I need to dance with better dancers to help me improve. There are some wonderful patient people out there who have helped and advised me - and they almost certainly spend increasing amounts of their time doing just that with less able dancers at their regular venues because the 'less able' dancers form a higher proportion of partners for them than they do for me. So even though they enjoy bringing beginners on, why shouldn't these lovely people have a night off once a week/month where they can relax in the assurance that they are always going to be dancing with their peers (rather than having to "work" with eggs like me).

Yep. I agree with what you are saying as I would be the first in the queue for such a night if I were invited.
I would be surprised if you asked any 'advanced' (theres that term again) dancer if they would like to attend a night such as this and they said no :what:

Its just if it happens regularly. Others may lose out which would be terrible.

Paul F
9th-August-2005, 12:51 PM
The ideas are flowing now

How about those that want to go send in an 'application form' with accompanying dance CV.
The potential invitee could then take part in a quick 10 minute telephone interview and if successful will be invited down to London for a face to face interview.
The interview would consist of the usual English, Maths and psychometric tests (why not ;) ) and then the panel interview.

Clothing = Business smart

After about 2 weeks the potential invitee would be contacted , subject to reference checks of course, to be told they would be invited.

It could work :wink:

LMC
9th-August-2005, 12:58 PM
Its just if it happens regularly. Others may lose out which would be terrible.
Regularly would be OK - just maybe not too frequently.

As for the losing out - there's only one answer to that....

I was well out of my league at Jango a couple of weeks ago, knew I would be, but was curious - watching was an education, and I had some wonderful dances too. Result: motivation to improve quadrupled so I can go and participate fully with the feeling that my lead is happy because I'm dancing well AS WELL as happy because they are helping me improve.

Lynn
9th-August-2005, 01:02 PM
I think the key is the music. If you want an evening that has a higher proportion of experienced dancers and that is aimed more at them, then just play the sort of music they want to dance to. Have the playlist geared to the more experienced (I'm avoiding using the term 'advanced'), with more challenging music. Less experienced dancers who feel out of their comfort zone if they aren't hearing music they hear at their regular venue might not want to attend. Fair enough, there are lots of other evenings that do play what they want. Less experienced dancers who aspire to learn and be challenged probably would want to attend, so it wouldn't be limited at all in terms of people having to be at a certain level before they could go - but it would attract the better dancers who would prefer it over a 'regular' night.

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 01:05 PM
The interview would consist of the usual English, Maths and psychometric tests (why not ;) ) and then the panel interview.
Don't forget the requirement to provide a DVD sample of their dancing for later review.

Oh, and :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Zebra Woman
9th-August-2005, 01:28 PM
Don't forget the requirement to provide a DVD sample of their dancing for later review.

Oh, and :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Footwear and clothing would be noted too.

Extra points for black and white shoes of course :wink: and dance sneakers, flip-flops, mules and stilletos would mean instant failure .

Of course there would be extra points for braces, hats and black clothes, swirling skirts.....deductions for sequins, rough jewelry, the wrong pants, line dancing outfits and studded belts.

Minnie M
9th-August-2005, 01:48 PM
Don't worry, it only take a couple of minutes to get from North London to South London on a Friday night :innocent:
:rofl: :rofl:
(I reckon I'd get there b4 you :whistle: )

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 01:51 PM
Extra points for black and white shoes of course :wink:

Oops, you made a bit of a typo there, surely - you meant to say "negative points for black and white shoes of course". Of course.

and dance sneakers, flip-flops, mules and stilletos would mean instant failure .
Well, yeah - I mean, how could you wear mules and stilettos at the same time? I mean, come on, that's just being silly now...

Tessalicious
9th-August-2005, 02:00 PM
Well, yeah - I mean, how could you wear mules and stilettos at the same time? I mean, come on, that's just being silly now...Hmm, I can think of someone who could provide you with a solution for that one... :whistle:

Cruella
9th-August-2005, 02:01 PM
Oops, you made a bit of a typo there, surely - you meant to say "negative points for black and white shoes of course". Of course.

Well, yeah - I mean, how could you wear mules and stilettos at the same time? I mean, come on, that's just being silly now...

Maybe she meant Mules wearing stilettos :rofl: Cos we know zebras don't wear them.

David Bailey
9th-August-2005, 02:05 PM
Maybe she meant Mules wearing stilettos :rofl: Cos we know zebras don't wear them.
Great, just great, you've now planted the image of ESG in high heels.
I could have died happy without ever having to envisage that combination.

Dizzy
9th-August-2005, 02:11 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

Zebra Woman
9th-August-2005, 03:10 PM

Yeah he would definitely get quadruple points for wearing 2 pairs of sparkly red stilletos :worthy:

And if he squeezes himself into Clive Long's red dress aswell, then that would guarantee entry :drool: :clap: .

Chef
9th-August-2005, 03:18 PM

EDIT: OK, I'm getting over-excited too :rofl: - no pressure Russell!

Additionally, I do actually agree with it being non-exclusive *ability*-wise (well, I would wouldn't I?) - but it would be nice to think that it was exclusive *attitude*-wise - i.e. invitations to people who want to improve their dancing rather than open to anyone in flip flops who wants a cheap night out...

I tried to edit out stuff to leave only those bits that I whole heartedly agree with but I should have left every single word alone.

Experienced dancers do their bit to bring along those dancers in whom they spot the attitude and potential every night of the week that they go dancing. But is it so wrong just to want one event a month where they can take the evening off and dance without the flip flop wearers and the thump thump music?

If you do happen to get an invitation then you had better keep quiet about it to avoid bad feeling amongst those that didn't get invited. If someone asks you then neither confirm or deny it or even that you know it exists. Never let on that you even know when and where it is being held, that it is probably only a rumour. This has been a laboured way of setting up to say,

The first rule of Dance Club is that you never talk about dance club.

Purple Sparkler
9th-August-2005, 03:18 PM
This is your Public Service Purple Sparkler:

I would like to apologise to the various forumites that I cried all over on Friday night. Especially the ones who didn't know WHAT was going on when I got upset. It wasn't your fault, guys, honest.

But thankyou to RK for the hug, and to ESG for his noble quest to find me some tissues. :hug:

Feeling a bit better now, you'll be glad to hear.

Feelingpink
9th-August-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah he would definitely get quadruple points for wearing 2 pairs of sparkly red stilletos :worthy:

And if he squeezes himself into Clive Long's red dress aswell, then that would guarantee entry :drool: :clap: .But entry to where? :sick:

Lory
9th-August-2005, 03:53 PM
It'l be arranged under the cloak of PM's only! :cool:

I love it already! :D :rofl:

Paul F
9th-August-2005, 03:58 PM

Can i be referred to as Mr. X

Or maybe we should give each other secret agent names like 001, 002 etc. I believe that system may have been used in a film already though.

LMC
9th-August-2005, 04:36 PM

*paranoia mode ON*

*desperately signs up to every workshop in sight in order to have a hope of being up to standard to be able to go along and play with the Really Good Dancers*
*offers flapjack... (if all else fails, bribery might be the key?)*

Russell Saxby
9th-August-2005, 04:43 PM
What are you going to see?

"Stealth"

Msfab
9th-August-2005, 04:44 PM
This is your Public Service Purple Sparkler:

I would like to apologise to the various forumites that I cried all over on Friday night. Especially the ones who didn't know WHAT was going on when I got upset. It wasn't your fault, guys, honest.

But thankyou to RK for the hug, and to ESG for his noble quest to find me some tissues. :hug:

Feeling a bit better now, you'll be glad to hear.

No problem PS! If you cant cry on our shoulder who can you cry on? :whistle:

Glad you're feeling better now :flower:

Msfab
9th-August-2005, 04:46 PM
"Stealth"

Any good?

Never heard of it! :sick:

Clive Long
9th-August-2005, 04:48 PM

And if he squeezes himself into Clive Long's red dress aswell, then that would guarantee entry :drool: :clap: .
If you have not experienced the delights of the little red dress, you are in the minority (see below).

I cite Andy McGregor as my influence in all things frilly.

If you are wondering where this is, it's the queue for the sale of tickets for the next BFF, "Little Red Dress" theme night. Much more prestigious and selective than the other approaches proposed so far.

Yogi_Bear
9th-August-2005, 04:51 PM
I could say that, paraphrasing Groucho Marx, I would never belong to a dance club that would have me as a member.... :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
9th-August-2005, 09:57 PM
I pay for a whole evenings dancing and that is just what I am going to have OKAY! :flower:That's quite right - silly me - crowded dance floor be damned. I've paid *my* money and I'm bloody well going to do aerials and dips'n'drops all night because that's what *I've* paid for. (OKAY?) And sod the rest of you.

Really, what is the difference between dancing every single track, and using up room by doing big moves, aerials etc if in both cases the dance floor is too crowded for it to be comfortable? In both cases you're using up more than your 'fair' share of space.

Personal note: It wasn't you, I, KGD or Cruella who were complaining about the lack of space... but for those who were...

El Salsero Gringo
9th-August-2005, 10:07 PM

I love it already! :D :rofl:It sounds far too hotshottish, and I'm already enjoying that martyred not-invited-to-the-party feeling. So best not ask me along.

Oh but wait - you didn't! Perfect!

Mary
9th-August-2005, 10:27 PM
It sounds far too hotshottish, and I'm already enjoying that martyred not-invited-to-the-party feeling. So best not ask me along.

I hate to burst your equine bubble, but it would seem you would have to be invited to ANY dance party - elite or not - because....................... doh - THE CAKES!!!

Perhaps you should invest in a red dress as well, just to make sure. :D

Oh, somebody reassure me that this thread has now got so silly that no one is talking seriously. :whistle:

(Think it's time to duck and take cover - tell me when it's safe to come out).

A cowardly
M

under par
9th-August-2005, 10:45 PM
That's quite right - silly me - crowded dance floor be damned. I've paid *my* money and I'm bloody well going to do aerials and dips'n'drops all night because that's what *I've* paid for. (OKAY?) And sod the rest of you.

Now you are being silly never mentioned aerials etc.

Really, what is the difference between dancing every single track, and using up room by doing big moves, aerials etc if in both cases the dance floor is too crowded for it to be comfortable?

There is a big difference in my opinion. Doing big moves and aerials on crowded floor is dangerous where as dancing every track is obviously not.

Is that difference enough.

How would you "police" your plan to sit out every so many dances and what would happen if you got out of dance sinc with someone you really wanted to dance with. Silly idea very silly idea.

El Salsero Gringo
9th-August-2005, 11:00 PM
Now you are being silly never mentioned aerials etc.Duh... yes of course I'm being silly.
There is a big difference in my opinion. Doing big moves and aerials on crowded floor is dangerous where as dancing every track is obviously not.Ask all the people who were trodden on with stiletto heels because of overcrowding whether it was dangerous or not.
Is that difference enough.No, not really.
How would you "police" your plan to sit out every so many dances and what would happen if you got out of dance sinc with someone you really wanted to dance with. Silly idea very silly idea.I don't feel any need to police any plan, since I'm not the one complaining that 'something must be done' about crowded venues. But since you ask, everyone gets a coloured token at the start of the evening - red, blue, green or yellow. An indicator board shows which colour in turn has to sit out each track. If you want to dance with someone of a different colour there are two out of each four tracks that you can do that. Or you can swap tokens with someone else.

Simple really.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't display a correctly coloured token, or fails to diplay a token at all gets fined by the wardens who patrol.

Lory
9th-August-2005, 11:17 PM
So best not ask me along.

Hold on a minute :what: do you know someting I don't :confused: Cos I've not been invited to 'anything' yet either! :tears: :tears:

I can see us all getting paranoid!

Right, where's everyone going this weekend? I demand to know! :devil: :rofl:

spindr
9th-August-2005, 11:19 PM
Duh... yes of course I'm being silly.Ask all the people who were trodden on with stiletto heels because of overcrowding whether it was dangerous or not.
To be honest I didn't find it too bad -- especially if you kept away from the cool kidz zone, i.e. the half of the room closest the stage.

Only duff point was when I was shoved between the shoulder blades toward the end of the evening -- obviously, I'd transgressed by dancing in someone else's space. Usually, I tend to find that a gentle hand on the back suffices to ward off inadvertant collisions.

Music was fine to me --- some of my friends found it "too unusual".

And of course the best dancers don't go and eat beforehand -- they pay extra and go to the salsa lesson.

SpinDr.
P.S. I did notice one lady from the salsa event later on -- and have noticed a few previously -- I think that they wander in later without a ticket (and make it very slightly more crowded).

LMC
9th-August-2005, 11:47 PM
Right, where's everyone going this weekend? I demand to know! :devil: :rofl:

Start a poll... :devil:

bigdjiver
10th-August-2005, 01:05 AM
Travel 50 miles not to dance? and to a place where there is not room to really Dance? Why not just pay extra so that those that do not value a quality experience do not come and the organisers make enough money to run more nights?

El Salsero Gringo
10th-August-2005, 07:37 AM
Travel 50 miles not to dance? and to a place where there is not room to really Dance? Why not just pay extra so that those that do not value a quality experience do not come and the organisers make enough money to run more nights?Because most people agree that what makes an evening is having the right people to dance with (along with the right music.) There's no certainty that the people one want's to dance with - the better dancers, say - are the ones who "value a quality experience" and will pay more for it. You might easily price out the good dancers and keep the flip-flopers and anyone else for whom £12, £15, £20, £25 or whatever still seems cheap for a night out in Ealing.

Also your making a presumption that the organiser would run more nights, if only they were making more money. Seeing as JB already said that cash wasn't the primary objective of Hipsters I don't think that's a fair assumption.

David Bailey
10th-August-2005, 09:02 AM
And of course the best dancers don't go and eat beforehand -- they pay extra and go to the salsa lesson.
:rofl: :clap: :yeah:

Whatever happened to the "joint ticket" idea?

P.S. I did notice one lady from the salsa event later on -- and have noticed a few previously -- I think that they wander in later without a ticket (and make it very slightly more crowded).
It's quite sweet the way they sometimes stand by the entrance, peeking their noses in. I've converted a couple myself (at least temporarily).

bigdjiver
10th-August-2005, 10:34 AM
Because most people agree that what makes an evening is having the right people to dance with (along with the right music.) There's no certainty that the people one want's to dance with - the better dancers, say - are the ones who "value a quality experience" and will pay more for it. You might easily price out the good dancers and keep the flip-flopers and anyone else for whom £12, £15, £20, £25 or whatever still seems cheap for a night out in Ealing.

Also your making a presumption that the organiser would run more nights, if only they were making more money. Seeing as JB already said that cash wasn't the primary objective of Hipsters I don't think that's a fair assumption.Other organisers are in it for the money, and I suspect that they would be more likely to provide more venues if the money was obviously there.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that you would price out some that you wanted to attend, but any entrance fee does that. Survey distance travelled and time taken by people to get to good venues, and entrance cost is trivial compared to that.

We had people from Ipswich and Norwich at the Bedford Corn exchange, as well as at least one dangerous beginner from around the corner. A higher price would have bought more room, and might eventually buy a freestyle nearer Ipswich and Norwich.

There is little point being in a room full of good dancers and having to sit out and wait your turn because there is not enough space. I go to dance, not to play dodgems..