PDA

View Full Version : Has the dancing and smoking problem gone away?

Andy McGregor
31st-July-2005, 01:00 PM
For some reason the "Smoking and Dancing do Not Mix" thread has come up on my daily search. But it's got me thinking. Has the problem gone away or are we just putting up with it?

Lynn
31st-July-2005, 01:06 PM
Was talking to someone from Dublin this week who has many friends who dance salsa. I said I didn't, mainly because of the smoke issue - but of course it isn't an issue in Dublin because of the new legislation.

Wish they would bring in the same legislation in NI, especially in dance venues and restaurants.

Baruch
31st-July-2005, 02:50 PM
Wish they would bring in the same legislation in NI, especially in dance venues and restaurants.
I think they're going to here in Wales, so perhaps there's a glimmer of hope for you as well.

Jooles
31st-July-2005, 02:51 PM
................or fed up with talking about it........

JUSTINE
31st-July-2005, 05:14 PM
The smoking and dancing thing, well i went to a ceroc dance at gloucester and noticed that there was ash trays on all the tables, so was this saying you could smoke?? well being a smoker myself i dont like to smoke when dancing as it becomes difficult haha!! no seriously i dont smoke at dances for two reasons, your breath stinks and its not fair on the non smokers and second smoking shouldnt be allowed at all at dances as you need lots and lots of fresh air. well thats my 2 pence worth from a smokers point of veiw.and i know its a nasty habbit!!!

MartinHarper
31st-July-2005, 05:21 PM
How long since you danced at a venue that allowed smoking and dancing together?

A better question: how long since you danced at a venue where there was someone smoking in the same room as the dance floor? Unless, of course, you're more disturbed by a lack of non-smoking signs than you are by actual smoke.

Lynn
31st-July-2005, 05:43 PM
I think they're going to here in Wales, so perhaps there's a glimmer of hope for you as well. Oh it will definitely be the law eventually. In the same way that all clubs, cinemas etc will have to have sound levels controlled when staff begin sueing for permanent hearing damage caused by working with the music too loud. Which will happen - breathing passive smoke can have very serious and even fatal consequences, but this won't affect everyone working in a smoky environment. Working in an environment with excessively loud music or other industrial noise almost certainly will cause hearing damage in the long term - hearing loss and/or tinnitus.

Sorry, sidetracked a bit there! :blush:

Lynn
31st-July-2005, 05:48 PM
A better question: how long since you danced at a venue where there was someone smoking in the same room as the dance floor? Unless, of course, you're more disturbed by a lack of non-smoking signs than you are by actual smoke. The only dance events I have been to in NI where there were any no-smoking signs have been parties I have organised. I don't mind about signs. I don't really even mind about a few people smoking in a corner, though I would prefer it if they went to a different room, or at least well away from the dance floor. Its when I have to peer through the haze that I decide its time to leave. :tears:

And not go back again. :tears: :tears:

Commis Chef
31st-July-2005, 07:27 PM
The last two venues I have been to where people smoke were both Ceroc venues, both run by the same person. Not only does she allow smoking but she smokes heavily on stage between lessons and jokes while teaching about needing a fag with her assistant.

Not much of an example eh?

The other place which I will also not attend any longer is the Rivoli because they encourage non dancers to come for private parties on dance nights. These groups smoke and drink heavily, so not only is the air full of smoke but the dance floor has drink spilt on it and later in the evening the drunks get up on the floor to cavort, stopping the true dancers from safe movement around the floor. I have emailed my displeasure but the income is obviously more important to them than the enjoyment of the dancers.

LMC
31st-July-2005, 07:46 PM
One of my regular venues allows smoking in the bar next to the dance floor - and the smell does come through :( It's only very recently that I've realised how horrible that smell *really* is (and was mortified...)

I always swore that I wouldn't be one of those awful "zeal of the converted" ex-smokers. I was intending to/trying to give up for a good couple of years before I finally made it (counting in months now! :waycool: -and this time of quitting is definitely different from all the other times). I hereby admit to complete hypocrisy by retracting that statement - BAN smoking in ALL enclosed spaces. In fact, there also needs to be a several metres exclusion zone by doors as well - there was a fairly strong smell of smoke inside the doors at Finchley.

Andy McGregor
31st-July-2005, 09:07 PM
................or fed up with talking about it........if this thread is anything to go by Jooles is completely wrong :whistle:

bigdjiver
31st-July-2005, 10:29 PM
Phil Roberts has implemented a no-smoking policy at several of his venues, and the rumours are that the results has been very adverse financially at some of them. As I had reported before it was the generally accepted practise for smokers to go outside at the ones I regularly attend, and those are flourishing.

jockey
1st-August-2005, 02:31 AM
I visited the Rhythm Lounge in St Pauls London recently (a Swing venue) and there was smoking there, I recall.
By the by, the evening was reaaly really good with loads of optional classes downstairs and some stylish and skillful dancers. The atmosphere was very good and I got a dance with Tricia (Joseph and Tricia); plus all the Lindy hoppers were very patient with this jiver. I ended up having a great night after initial trepidation..
However, after dropping off my companion (you said it was a jive...)my nightmare began..an accident on the A23 caused a diversion which sent everyone all over Sussex all night (there are no signs on all those little lanes), then I got a puncture and the AA couldnt find me..eventually, totally exhausted I got home at 7 00 a.m.

Zebra Woman
1st-August-2005, 12:00 PM
Phil Roberts has implemented a no-smoking policy at several of his venues, and the rumours are that the results has been very adverse financially at some of them. As I had reported before it was the generally accepted practise for smokers to go outside at the ones I regularly attend, and those are flourishing.

Can you elaborate please BigD.

Which venues are flourishing? And why?

I visted the MK tea dance a couple of weeks ago it was absolutely flourishing and smoke free :clap: apart from the two crew members in the foyer taking the money and smoking like chimneys. :sick:

Can't win them all :rofl:

bigdjiver
1st-August-2005, 03:12 PM
Can you elaborate please BigD.

Which venues are flourishing? And why?

I visted the MK tea dance a couple of weeks ago it was absolutely flourishing and smoke free :clap: apart from the two crew members in the foyer taking the money and smoking like chimneys. :sick:

Can't win them all :rofl:Smoking is allowed out of the dance area.

I am gutted that I missed the tea dance, and other freestyles lately.

Bedford is certainly flourishing, we had visitors from Peterborough, Cambridge, Northampton and Luton last week, plus others I had not seen before. I cannot recall a better class night. I hope to check out the alleged venues that have suffered. The info is probably stale by now anyway.

Northants Girly
1st-August-2005, 04:14 PM
Smoking is allowed out of the dance area Eh? So you're just not allowed to smoke while dancing then? :rofl:

Last time I went to Milton Keynes the ashtrays were still on the tables and the door crew and some the taxi dancers were all smoking :sick:

stewart38
1st-August-2005, 04:42 PM
Berko still going strong

Heavy smoking in Bar area which leads directly to hall area

:sad:

LMC
1st-August-2005, 04:54 PM
Berko still going strong

Heavy smoking in Bar area which leads directly to hall area

:sad:
:yeah: was the venue I referred to above... at least it's only one venue & not 2 :rolleyes:

signed

Nasty hypocritical ex-smoker who is tempted to throw (cheap!) Berko water over fags being smoked by poor unfortunates who are still addicted...

bigdjiver
2nd-August-2005, 01:41 AM
Eh? So you're just not allowed to smoke while dancing then? :rofl:

Last time I went to Milton Keynes the ashtrays were still on the tables and the door crew and some the taxi dancers were all smoking :sick:When was your last visit? I will try to get official position now, and what is actually happening, because there seems to be a mis-match.

Zebra Woman
2nd-August-2005, 10:15 AM
When was your last visit? I will try to get official position now, and what is actually happening, because there seems to be a mis-match.

Yes I would worry about any statistical conclusions that may have been drawn from the scores at the doors 'since the venue went non-smoking' if in fact the non-smoking policy hadn't been enforced. Which sadly seems to be the case.

I only hear second hand information so I'll leave it to others to report back. At the Jive Aces T Jive the air seemed smoke free inside, although I only stayed for 20 minutes. Was anyone else there?

Northants Girly
2nd-August-2005, 12:35 PM
When was your last visit? I will try to get official position now, and what is actually happening, because there seems to be a mis-match.Probably 4-5 weeks ago. But well after the supposed new no-smoking policy was implemented :(

Little Em
2nd-August-2005, 12:59 PM
Yes I would worry about any statistical conclusions that may have been drawn from the scores at the doors 'since the venue went non-smoking' if in fact the non-smoking policy hadn't been enforced. Which sadly seems to be the case.

I only hear second hand information so I'll leave it to others to report back. At the Jive Aces T Jive the air seemed smoke free inside, although I only stayed for 20 minutes. Was anyone else there?

I was there teaching!

i saw you having a few dances, meant to say hi, but couldn get off the dance floor! :D

i wanted to say that i am now a TRUE fan off the jive aces! they are :waycool:
brilliant!

x x

Andy McGregor
2nd-August-2005, 04:33 PM
Probably 4-5 weeks ago. But well after the supposed new no-smoking policy was implemented :(It is very easy to have a non-smoking policy. It's much harder to enforce it.

I run a Soul and Motown night once a month. The hall is non-smoking (naturally :flower: ) smokers are asked to smoke in the hallway outside which has upholstered seating, ash-trays, tables, etc. But some people still smoke in the hall. Although I've never seen them I've had the dubious pleasure of finding fossilised fag-ends in the Low-Boy candles that we put on the tables :sick:

I think the reason we don't smell the smoke is because we have a hazer to show the light from the scanners and the haze contains Tutti-Frutti fragrance. Although it could be the candles that get rid of the smell.

I suppose the question we should ask is "what is the enforcement part of the non-smoking policy?"

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-August-2005, 08:57 PM
I think the reason we don't smell the smoke is because we have a hazer to show the light from the scanners and the haze contains Tutti-Frutti fragrance. I'm astonished that anyone sensitive to cigarette smoke finds the synthetic fragrances that get put in stage 'smoke' and 'haze' any more acceptable!

Although it could be the candles that get rid of the smell.Candles do a surprisingly good job of this - I've been to houses of people who smoke - but always light a candle next to the ashtray first - and the place is more or less odour free.

Andy McGregor
3rd-August-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm astonished that anyone sensitive to cigarette smoke finds the synthetic fragrances that get put in stage 'smoke' and 'haze' any more acceptable! I've never said I'm sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke - I'm sensitive to the risk. The fragrance is there because there is a slightly burnt smell to the haze which goes away when you use a fragrance. And the haze is there because it adds to the light show.

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-August-2005, 12:03 PM
I've never said I'm sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke - I'm sensitive to the risk. The fragrance is there because there is a slightly burnt smell to the haze which goes away when you use a fragrance. And the haze is there because it adds to the light show.Which risk are you sensitive to? Fire? I'm surprised that you don't get complaints about the smell of the smoke from your customers. Obviously you don't, I'm just surprised! I find it much more objectionable myself.

Andy McGregor
3rd-August-2005, 12:25 PM
Which risk are you sensitive to? Fire? I'm surprised that you don't get complaints about the smell of the smoke from your customers. Obviously you don't, I'm just surprised! I find it much more objectionable myself.ESG is right. The smoke machines make me cough - but the haze machines are different. They put a very slight mist into the air which you can see when a bright beam of light shines through it. The fragrance is something you can taste slightly if you breathe in through your mouth but is difficult to detect if you breathe in through your nose - don't ask me to explain why. When you watch programmes on TV like SDF and SCD they use haze, which is how you see the beams of light. If they used smoke you'd have trouble seeing the dancers.

On the subject of cigarette smoke, I don't like the smell of English cigarettes but the French ones smell OK to me and so do cigars. But I try not to breathe ANY cigarette smoke, no mattter how fragrant, because I KNOW it gives me a sore throat/dry mouth, makes my clothes and hair smell and because there is a possible risk to my health.

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-August-2005, 12:38 PM
When you watch programmes on TV like SDF and SCD they use haze, which is how you see the beams of light. If they used smoke you'd have trouble seeing the dancers.I used to be part of the stage crew at the Royal Opera House, some 10 years ago, and they used a haze machine (very popular in graveyard scenes, or moonlit nights) which seemed to pass muster with the singers (who will be the first to call in the union if they think there's something in the air that stops them taking a full breath or risks their voice). In fact, some of them approved because it made the air moister, although it was unscented fluid that we used. I don't know that anyone ever assessed the long term health risks of inhaling an aerosol of the fluid, but I suppose they must have, somewhere.

Andy McGregor
3rd-August-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't know that anyone ever assessed the long term health risks of inhaling an aerosol of the fluid, but I suppose they must have, somewhere.I have downloaded the health and safety sheets from Martin (who supply Haze machines and Fluid), they were written in health and safety jargon and couldn't use the word "safe" because that would be too difficult to prove. I think the words are "low risk". It definitely didn't say anything like "Smoking seriously harms you and others around you" like it does on cigarette packets. Which brings me (rather neatly :smug: ) to the whole point. The aforementioned line is printed in large letters on many cigarette packets - this means that smokers DO know they are harming "others around" them when they smoke in a hall packed with dancers. Are people who are prepared to harm "others around" them the type of people we want to know and dance with? :angry:

Lynn
3rd-August-2005, 03:47 PM
A little aside on the subject of smoke machines - I had booked a youth choir for an evening entertainment event as part of a large family week I am involved with. Many of the events are held in a large (3,000 seater) tent. One of the choirs tech guys decided to bring a smoke machine - but didn't tell me! There were a few seconds of panic as people momentarily thought it was a fire! :what: Fortunately it was very soon clear that it wasn't. And I managed to explain it to the health and safety guys, but I now add, when booking any group - no smoke machines! :rofl:

Lynn
3rd-August-2005, 03:50 PM
Are people who are prepared to harm "others around" them the type of people we want to know and dance with? :angry: I could have given an award to 'most inconsiderate smoker' at a charity dance last year (not MJ). Smoking and dancing - literally, waving a lighted cigarette around, narrowly missing people all around him, right in the middle of the floor. :mad:

Martin
5th-August-2005, 03:35 AM
Well the problem has gone away in Sydney, as all venues now are obliged by law (since July 4th) to have the venues non-smoking, with only one area designated for smokers (if they want to include smoking at all).

But then they never did allow smoking in venues anyway. Certainly not by the dance floor anyway.

This also goes for all pubs.

MartinHarper
5th-August-2005, 08:47 AM
I've been to houses of people who smoke - but always light a candle next to the ashtray first.

On smoking and candles... one of the freestyles I go to places candles on the windowsills, so they're behind the chairs facing onto the dancefloor. It took me a few seconds to realise that the terrible burning smell was coming from my ponytail...

Tazmanian Devil
7th-August-2005, 11:40 AM
if this thread is anything to go by Jooles is completely wrong :whistle:
Hi andy, I am going to have to disagree with you, as all the people on this fread are people who agree with your line of thinking. I have not yet seen many Smoking people reply to you and maybe thats what jooles means by people fed up with talking about it. I still go to some venues which allow smoking and also go to some that don't. Now the Venues that I go to that don't allow smoking always have hoards of people out side. Now when it's cold and wet is that really very fair? People go out to enjoy themselves after a hard day in the office or looking after their kiddies, They don't want to be they have to go outside for a quickie. A designated smoking area seems to be a hit mind.
Sorry darlin had to put my 2 bobs worth in, Just like the ol days ah :whistle:

Baruch
7th-August-2005, 11:58 AM
People go out to enjoy themselves after a hard day in the office or looking after their kiddies, They don't want to be they have to go outside for a quickie.
Non-smokers want to enjoy themselves too, without having to breathe someone else's smoke.

A designated smoking area seems to be a hit mind.
Sorry darlin had to put my 2 bobs worth in, Just like the ol days ah :whistle:
Perhaps this could work if there's a separate room, but not in the same room. To misquote something I've heard a lot: "Having smoking and non-smoking areas in a dance venue is like having urinating and non-urinating areas in a swimming pool." Smoke fills the room, even if the smokers are just confined to a part of it.