PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother

Robin
29th-July-2005, 03:49 PM
If you like the idea of being tracked around and snooped on then this page is not for you... if you think its an invasion of your privacy you should visit this site and sign the petition (http://www.dataretentionisnosolution.com/)

Please pass this on to people or post on loads of forums. The more signatures etc blah blah.

Andy McGregor
30th-July-2005, 01:03 PM
I am usually so opinionated and decisive it will be a surprise to hear that I'm undecided on this subject. The reason for my lack of decion is that I don't have enough information. This website seems vague and lacks any type of concrete information. In particular, there is a throw-away line on this website that I think needs explaining. To me it seems like non-specific scare mongering.

"interferes with private lives"

This sounds like something active and sinister will be done to interfere with my private life - what exactly is that?

El Salsero Gringo
30th-July-2005, 02:17 PM
The most interesting comment on this kind of thing that I have heard was unintentional, and from the Commissioner of the Met (Sir Ian Blair) who said, quoting from the BBC News site:

Despite the quick pace of developments, Sir Ian said British policing is facing difficulties in tackling terror attacks.

"I think there has to be a substantial increase in three fields really," he told the BBC.

"It's detective work, we actually need, this is good old, old fashioned detective leg work.

"We need firearms capability. We've got enough firearms officers but not enough to do this length of tour, as it were.

"People have to have a rest. They can't, you know, they can't just keep carrying a gun hour after hour, day after day.

"And then thirdly it's around the forensics and explosive capability or rather counter-explosive activity. "In other words, nothing about ID cards, data retention or other electronic measures. Just good old fashioned detective leg work.

Robin
30th-July-2005, 06:11 PM
I am usually so opinionated and decisive it will be a surprise to hear that I'm undecided on this subject. The reason for my lack of decion is that I don't have enough information. This website seems vague and lacks any type of concrete information. In particular, there is a throw-away line on this website that I think needs explaining. To me it seems like non-specific scare mongering.

"interferes with private lives"

This sounds like something active and sinister will be done to interfere with my private life - what exactly is that?

Personally , methinks that any EU overlaw like this is a bad thing .. but thats just my own opinion