PDA

View Full Version : A run of bad luck

Jive Brummie
29th-July-2005, 11:05 AM
Right then peeps,

As the name suggests the good lady and I have had a run of bad luck recently...

In no particular order, but having taken place over the past few weeks...

Hot water from our combi boiler....no longer exists. Small part costs over £350 and takes up to two hours to fit at £44 per hour!

Yesterday cam belt on my corsa snapped...completely out of the blue...Engine potentially knackered and had to join RAC with an emergency call out at £104! Today my road tax is due on said car :rofl:

Only thing left to do is laugh or throw mysef off the Forth Road Bridge, but I can't get to it :rofl:

Needless to say any sympathy or financial donations :whistle: will be greatly accepted. I probably am prepared to pimp my ass for money but then again I don't really want to be an overnight millionaire :wink:

Please feel free to include your own bad luck experiences so we can all wallow (sp?) in our own self pity!

James....(an unlucky chap!)

p.s. many apologies to the Perth Posse for not being able to make last nights class...there wasn't much we could really do about it. Will make it up to you all at the weekend and next week :flower:

LMC
29th-July-2005, 11:09 AM
:non-existent zippy mouth guy: :(

Sorry to hear about the car, hope you get it sorted :flower:

Dance Demon
29th-July-2005, 11:12 AM
I probably am prepared to pimp my ass for money but then again I don't really want to be an overnight millionaire :wink:

With your luck, you'd probably develop piles overnight....... :sick: :really: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ..........keep the pecker up mate......or should that be bill.. :wink:

PS.......as I type this ....water has just started to drip through my kitchen ceiling....something to do with the rain & a N-Easterly wind :mad: .......still..if it gets too bad I'll have the benefit of webbed feet......... :D

Piglet
29th-July-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi James,

Being Aberdonian you ain't getting any money, but you can have lots of sympathy from me :hug: Let's hope your bad luck run is over soon.

Big thanks to you though, as I knew I had something to do before driving off down to Hereford for 2 weeks! Road Tax!!! You're a love! :cheers:

Best wishes too to Melanie

Pamela :hug:

Dizzy
29th-July-2005, 11:28 AM
Right then peeps,

In no particular order, but having taken place over the past few weeks...

Hot water from our combi boiler....no longer exists. Small part costs over £350 and takes up to two hours to fit at £44 per hour!

Yesterday cam belt on my corsa snapped...completely out of the blue...Engine potentially knackered and had to join RAC with an emergency call out at £104! Today my road tax is due on said car :rofl:

Only thing left to do is laugh or throw mysef off the Forth Road Bridge, but I can't get to it :rofl:

Needless to say any sympathy or financial donations :whistle: will be greatly accepted. I probably am prepared to pimp my ass for money but then again I don't really want to be an overnight millionaire :wink:

Please feel free to include your own bad luck experiences so we can all wallow (sp?) in our own self pity!

James....(an unlucky chap!)

p.s. many apologies to the Perth Posse for not being able to make last nights class...there wasn't much we could really do about it. Will make it up to you all at the weekend and next week :flower:

Well, they say that bad luck always happens in threes, so what's next!! :rofl:

Seriously though, I am sorry to hear about your disasters and hope that your luck changes. :flower:

John S
29th-July-2005, 11:50 AM
Tough luck, James - that run of calamities will all have tested your famous smile!

If it's any consolation, the Perth class went fine with Franck & Sheena (I think they have some potential as dancers, those two) and I also heard good reports about the Musicality class that Mel B took in place of Melanie. We had 18 in the taxi Consolidation class, and the gender balance was more or less spot on. So all in all we did ok!

drathzel
29th-July-2005, 01:32 PM
Total sympathy..... know what it feels like... especially the knackered engine!!!! :hug:

Andy McGregor
29th-July-2005, 01:51 PM
In a recent edition of Which magazine a car owner managed to get compensation from the garage that sold it to him because the cam-belt failed within the mileage it was supposed to be working. You never know, might be worth a try.

Things do not come in 3s. Last Friday I was running a dance night and I had 4 bulbs blow in a set of disco lights - they cost £12 each :tears:

And, to show my own stupidity, last Friday a dance down the road was a flop so I let the people who were teaching come into mine - one of them for free! I've just found out they spent the night promoting their next dance to my customers - which clashes with my dance tonight. Which goes to show there's no fool like an old fool :blush:

Little Monkey
29th-July-2005, 01:52 PM
All I can do is give you lots of :hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug:

Sorry to hear of your disasters! Fortunately I don't have a car (can't afford one, hooray!), but instead I have a dog that 'breaks' all the time. So far this year I've paid nearly £1600 in vet bills (get most of it back on my insurance, thank god!), and had to cancel my holiday to USA. :(

I now have a dog with lots of metal in her knee, but at least she can walk again! Woo-hooo! :clap:

Cathrine :flower: :hug:

Jive Brummie
29th-July-2005, 02:44 PM
I now have a dog with lots of metal in her knee, but at least she can walk again! Woo-hooo! :clap:

Cathrine :flower: :hug:

If i get a skateboard do you think she could pull me to work on monday? ....it's about 15 miles away :wink:

J x x

Minnie M
29th-July-2005, 02:54 PM
I had a disaster last weekend - came down to my loo (separate from bathroom) at about 7am Sunday morning for my morning wee wee to see water dripping from the light bulb :eek: needed to put a towel over my head when sitting on the loo.

By 9am when awake properly my WC was more like a shower room, water was coming from EVERY WHERE !!!

Went downstairs only to find the water had seeped through and the kitchen was flooded too :eek: :eek: :eek:

Being Sunday and 9am I couldn't get hold of any roofer or plumber :tears: and when I did at about 11am he said he would TRY and come along tomorrow afternoon :tears: :tears:

So I rang my Knight in Shining Armour (Andy McGregor) who just happened to know a friendly " roofer /come DJ / Rocster's Roady" and within half an hour came around :clap: and sorted the electrics, he couldn't do much more as it was still raining, however he said he would come back first thing in the morning to put the scaffolding up.

Today is the first sunny and dry day all week - so............. as I am writing this I have two men on my rood fixing it. My next worry is paying him, there is a lot of work to be done :tears:

Thank you Andy and Patrick Cash (the roofer) who is also a dancer :flower: :hug: :kiss: Another good reason for being in this really great 'MJ Club' :yeah: :cheers:

Rebecca
29th-July-2005, 03:08 PM
Thank you Andy and Patrick Cash (the roofer) who is also a dancer :flower: :hug: :kiss: Another good reason for being in this really great 'MJ Club' :yeah: :cheers:
Perhaps we should all nominate services we can offer eachother in a caring-sharing-MJ-community-type way? :hug:

Before you add your comment SilverFox - I know what you're thinking. . .

Minnie M
29th-July-2005, 03:29 PM
Perhaps we should all nominate services we can offer eachother in a caring-sharing-MJ-community-type way? :hug:

We already do .....

SilverFox was our professional cocktail barman at the Southport BBQ :worthy: :clap: (don't know about the other services :blush: )

Lory has cut or/and blowed dried many dancers' hair

Smurfman, ESG, Trousers, Clive + many other on their IT & Technical knowledge for PC/lap top and GPS probs

etc etc.,

Dance Demon
29th-July-2005, 04:27 PM

Jeez.....talk about a quitter :rolleyes: ...if you were that desperate, you would have used the Tay road Bridge........... :D

Jive Brummie
29th-July-2005, 10:21 PM
Jeez.....talk about a quitter :rolleyes: ...if you were that desperate, you would have used the Tay road Bridge........... :D

It did pass through my mind....but knowing my luck i'd have broken my leg on a sandbank and got humped by an amorous seal :sick:

J x x

drathzel
29th-July-2005, 10:39 PM
got humped by an amorous seal :sick:

J x x

Oh the images..... :what:

Buttons
29th-July-2005, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. :tears: One of my so called friends, gave me a chinese good luck charm. :cheers: I have three different types of sewing machinery, they all broke down one after the other (within 10 mins). The washing machine blew up, the computer stopped working and my hairdryer blew. Only an hour had passed. :angry:

A few weeks later my friend stated that she had to buy an Xmas gift for someone in her work that she did not like. My friend had no ideas as to what gift would be appropriate. Having told her all about the mishaps, she agreed that the good luck charm was ideal. :na:

Minnie M
30th-July-2005, 09:32 AM
........Hot water from our combi boiler....no longer exists. Small part costs over £350 and takes up to two hours to fit at £44 per hour!

Yesterday cam belt on my corsa snapped...completely out of the blue...Engine potentially knackered and had to join RAC with an emergency call out at £104! Today my road tax is due on said car....../snip/.............Needless to say any sympathy or financial donations :whistle: will be greatly accepted..........

Poor (yes soon to be very poor) JB and me too, think I am having to go and fork out even more that you :tears: I suggest we both go and buy a lottery ticket today and all the forumites cross their everythings in the hope we can can up with a winner :clap: OR they can buy a ticket on our behalf and give us the winnings :D I need about £1000 to cover costs and a little over for a bit of retail therapy to make me feel better

BTW my luck (or lack of it) is still around - after a WEEK of tripping over buckets etc. :tears: we had only ONE dry sunny day (yesterday) and they were coming back today to finish the job AND IT IS RAINING AGAIN TODAY

I'm too far to join JB jumping over the bridge, might have to drive to Beachy Head - but with my luck my car could break down :sad:

johnthehappyguy
31st-July-2005, 02:25 AM
chin up mate -

( I have not read any posting from Melanie complaining !! )

I am sure she would be able to come up with something to help you feel better. :whistle:

If all else fails at least you still have access to the forum. :sick:

Best wishes,

Johnthehappyguy :nice:

Jive Brummie
31st-July-2005, 09:51 AM
chin up mate -

( I have not read any posting from Melanie complaining !! )

I am sure she would be able to come up with something to help you feel better. :whistle:

If all else fails at least you still have access to the forum. :sick:

Best wishes,

Johnthehappyguy :nice:

:rofl:

Andy McGregor
31st-July-2005, 11:28 AM
If all else fails at least you still have access to the forum.
& Melanie :flower:

Jive Brummie
31st-July-2005, 08:10 PM
& Melanie :flower:

:rofl:

jockey
31st-July-2005, 11:36 PM

For anyone spending a day at the races I may be able to help you minimise your losses, or even to back a winner - I used to be engaged by a jockeys agent as his form expert (they need to know which horses to get their jockeys on..). When I am not working on my own business I work in the industry and go racing when I can. The form book is still wellthumbed...
And if you are wondering...no I have never sat on a horse! :rofl:

BeeBee
1st-August-2005, 11:21 AM

I can sympathise with you and your missus - recently had a new bathroom installed and had the plumber from hell install it. EVERY part of the bathroom suite has been broken / scratched / hacksawed. It has been the most stressful thing I have ever had to do, as other than feed and water the man (who ate me out of house and home), I had to be foreman and quality control check person too. AND tell him how and why you had to seal a bath after fitting it (and scratching it and putting the taps on wrong). It was supposed to last a weekend, and almost 8 weeks later (thought he was moving in, he was back and forward to the house so often), my shower is finally fixed (though still has the hole he hacksawed in it) and my toilet works. *sigh* The joiner cracked a tile, and scratched the new shower screen with his belt buckle, big style. The tiler was fine though. :) (searching for silver lining in the huge cloud that is several hundred pounds in size).

That on top of my car being in a perpetual state of (dis)repair - exhaust now needing tended to, am not driving a Peugot, am driving a tank.

Ok, I'll put my soap box away now and get back to work :rolleyes: :) Hope the misfortune of others cheers you up a bit!!! :D :grin: :hug:

cheers
Linda :flower:

stewart38
1st-August-2005, 11:45 AM
Last week

Being over charge for a train ticket to Birmingham and then being told of when querying it (long story letter of complaint on the way)

At weekend hitting 'worse traffic ever' on M5 on friday going north, but then hitting 'worse traffic ever on saturday' on said M5 going south. To be told it was 'best traffic ever' on sunday on M5 when i wasnt on it :sad:

Having train delayed by an hour from Devon and then for it to run slowly :sad:

this bad luck ended when travelled first class on said train and no one came to collect my extra £10 :whistle: and got me free nite at Berko

filthycute
1st-August-2005, 12:05 PM
Well some things are looking up. We did manage to find the parts for our boiler.....£200!! cheaper than the original plumber quoted. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing :D Although they were supposed to be here this morning......don't you hate when you can't leave the house. :sick: I bet they arrive at 5 o'clock...typical :rolleyes:

fc x

Petal
1st-August-2005, 01:22 PM
Tough luck, James - that run of calamities will all have tested your famous smile!

If it's any consolation, the Perth class went fine with Franck & Sheena (I think they have some potential as dancers, those two) and I also heard good reports about the Musicality class that Mel B took in place of Melanie. We had 18 in the taxi Consolidation class, and the gender balance was more or less spot on. So all in all we did ok!

But..........we really missed you, :hug: and are looking forward to this weeks class, with your personal stamp, smile, jokes!!!! etc. :clap:

John S
1st-August-2005, 03:25 PM
But..........we really missed you, :hug: and are looking forward to this weeks class, with your personal stamp, smile, jokes!!!! etc. :clap:
:yeah: (well, maybe not the jokes :wink: )

Baby Peaches
2nd-August-2005, 12:29 AM
:yeah: (well, maybe not the jokes :wink: )
I like the jokes!! :rofl:

stewart38
3rd-August-2005, 11:33 AM
My friend posted my Airline ticket to 3 keiths road :sad:

The postman still delivered it to the correct address 39, work that one out ?? :grin:

Almost an Angel
4th-August-2005, 10:29 AM
OK seeing as though everyone else has unloaded their problems I think it's my turn to get some sympathy. (and I need lots of it).

In the last month I have had to deal with my grandmother dying very suddenly and unexpectedly and had to deal with the funeral and clearing the house and everything else this entails especially when the house is in Cornwall and we're in Hampshire!!! :eek:

I'd just about come through that to then have a car accident!!! :tears: :tears: a whole week and a half before Beach boogie!!!! Some delightful person decided to drive into the back of my stationary car when I was queued in traffic, :mad: there are no excuses here as I'd been stationary for 15+ secs and the traffic was queued up the hill in front of me!! Luckily he was insured and has admitted liability :clap:

The problem is I have severe whiplash, :( I haven't been able to dance since the accident, (3 weeks ago) and have got anywhere between 3-6 weeks before I can even start thinking about dancing again!!!!
I ended up going to BB and not dancing the whole week :tears: :tears: despite the fact I would have loved to do the WCS classes. I did however make up for it by feeding everyone alcohol!!! :devil: Well I couldn't dance so what was I supposed to do. :D

As for my neck - it will recover, I'm now signed off work till next week, have some even stronger painkillers and muscle relaxants, I can't sleep, I can't move properly and I certainly can't dance. The doctor and the Osteopath are agreeing with each other which is scary!!!!

BUT I'M BORED

Sympathy please........

Angel xxx

Simon r
4th-August-2005, 10:36 AM
OK seeing as though everyone else has unloaded their problems I think it's my turn to get some sympathy. (and I need lots of it).

In the last month I have had to deal with my grandmother dying very suddenly and unexpectedly and had to deal with the funeral and clearing the house and everything else this entails especially when the house is in Cornwall and we're in Hampshire!!! :eek:

I'd just about come through that to then have a car accident!!! :tears: :tears: a whole week and a half before Beach boogie!!!! Some delightful person decided to drive into the back of my stationary car when I was queued in traffic, :mad: there are no excuses here as I'd been stationary for 15+ secs and the traffic was queued up the hill in front of me!! Luckily he was insured and has admitted liability :clap:

The problem is I have severe whiplash, :( I haven't been able to dance since the accident, (3 weeks ago) and have got anywhere between 3-6 weeks before I can even start thinking about dancing again!!!!
I ended up going to BB and not dancing the whole week :tears: :tears: despite the fact I would have loved to do the WCS classes. I did however make up for it by feeding everyone alcohol!!! :devil: Well I couldn't dance so what was I supposed to do. :D

As for my neck - it will recover, I'm now signed off work till next week, have some even stronger painkillers and muscle relaxants, I can't sleep, I can't move properly and I certainly can't dance. The doctor and the Osteopath are agreeing with each other which is scary!!!!

BUT I'M BORED

Sympathy please........

Angel xxx

oh honey i am so sorry i know how much you look forward to your dances as well ... i was hit in the back at the start of july and have had a bad back since and am still without my car ...
just think of the compensation claim and if you have a rental car which you should have as it was his fault ,make a big fuss get the best you can get convertible if you can and that should help to ease the pain.. a little
sorry about your gran hun hope to see you soon...

P.s i'm bored to and i'm at work.. :hug:

stewart38
4th-August-2005, 10:41 AM

BUT I'M BORED

Sympathy please........

Angel xxx

I got £3,000 but didnt need anytime of work. The guy ran into the back of me and wrote my car of going home from Ashtons funny enough.

You will prob get £5k - £6k in 18 months !

Almost an Angel
4th-August-2005, 10:45 AM
oh honey i am so sorry i know how much you look forward to your dances as well ... i was hit in the back at the start of july and have had a bad back since and am still without my car ...
just think of the compensation claim and if you have a rental car which you should have as it was his fault ,make a big fuss get the best you can get convertible if you can and that should help to ease the pain.. a little
sorry about your gran hun hope to see you soon...

P.s i'm bored to and i'm at work.. :hug:

Luckily car has been repaired - is now back on road - which is more than can be said for my neck!!! Sorry to hear your car is still not back. :sad:

Am making lots of fuss and my lovely insurance company have already engaged a solicitor on my behalf (I knew I was paying for something like this at the time but only now need to use it).

I might wend my way up on the 13th to Twyford to see everyone and say bye to Ray & Jane - but I still won't be able to dance!!!!! I'm a sadist really - why else would I spend a week at BB not being able to dance!!! :sad:

By the way you're not supposed to be bored at work!!! you're supposed to be busy!!! :D

Angel xx

Simon r
4th-August-2005, 10:51 AM
By the way you're not supposed to be bored at work!!! you're supposed to be busy!!! :D

Angel xx

this is my version of busy can't keep my mind on work today.
be good to see you how about real gentle dances ... the finger tip lead, would you be able to play then

Almost an Angel
4th-August-2005, 10:57 AM
this is my version of busy can't keep my mind on work today.
be good to see you how about real gentle dances ... the finger tip lead, would you be able to play then

OK - Will try to come and visit but I really can't dance !!!
I tried a basic WCS step and my head exploded it's not having any of it!!!
I managed a v slow blues with sheepy - I don't even think we managed to get round the full circle in the dance!!!!

I'm fed up!!!! I want to dance!!!!

Sheepman
4th-August-2005, 12:02 PM
I managed a v slow blues with sheepy - I don't even think we managed to get round the full circle in the dance!!!! I felt very privileged, and very bad, for leading you astray :blush: Maybe we can do that again at Twyford on the 13th, regardless of what music is playing?

If there is a bright side, then try this, all that anticipation and waiting, when you do eventually get back to dancing, it will be fab! Do the best things come to he/she who waits?

:hug: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :hug:
Greg

Lynn
4th-August-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm fed up!!!! I want to dance!!!! Also having a dance break, though at least I could go and dance salsa if I really wanted, and can dance round my living room. But I am missing MJ - about 5 weeks since I danced now and another 5 until Southport (unless I organise something). But the plus is, how fabulous it is when you can dance again after a break from dancing - its just a fantastic feeling! :clap:

Almost an Angel
5th-August-2005, 03:47 PM
I felt very privileged, and very bad, for leading you astray :blush: Maybe we can do that again at Twyford on the 13th, regardless of what music is playing?

If there is a bright side, then try this, all that anticipation and waiting, when you do eventually get back to dancing, it will be fab! Do the best things come to he/she who waits?

:hug: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :hug:
Greg

I don't normally need people to lead me astray - I can normally manage it myself I am only Almost an Angel after all!!! :devil: :devil:

I'm hoping the best things come to those who wait - especially considering I finally got round to getting some WCS shoes - they arrived the day I had the accident so I haven't got round to trying them out yet!! :sad:

Jive Brummie
5th-August-2005, 03:56 PM
The part the company sent was the wrong one...it cost us another £44 to be told that by the plumber who tried to fit it!

As yet neither the forwarding company or the main dealer are prepared to admit who's mistake it was and so am looking at basically not getting it back...the joys of home ownership.

oh yeah....and we're kinda waiting for a speeding ticket! When I say 'we' I actually mean...MELANIE!!!! :angry:

But I don't like to point the finger.

J x x :rofl:

JoC
13th-September-2005, 11:41 PM
Kids broke window...arranged for glazier to come repair window on Friday :)
Boiler stopped working weeks ago...got it fixed last weekend :)
Cistern been overflowing to outside (clean water) for ages...Dynarod man fixed it this morning :)

Just when I think I'm catching up with all my maintenance...

I was driving home tonight quite happily, in the dark with dipped headlights, and suddenly a mammoth recumbent cone became illuminated right smack bang in the middle of the single open lane that I was driving along (the other lane of the dual carriageway having been coned off). Anyway it was very last second that it became visible partly owing to the angle it was lying at and I didn't have any option other than drive over it. Got home and in the dark, damage identified so far, one smashed corner of bumper, I worry for the underside of the car which I'll have to check in the daylight...

And I've got rats living under my shed apparently.

Pah!

Tiggerbabe
14th-September-2005, 12:01 AM
Pah!
You're ok though, which is a good thing :hug: :nice:

DavidY
14th-September-2005, 12:14 AM
{Bad stuff}
Pah! :hug:
You're ok though, which is a good thing :yeah:

bigdjiver
14th-September-2005, 12:35 AM
You're ok though, which is a good thing :hug: :nice:I have learned to say "It's just stuff."

ducasi
14th-September-2005, 12:47 AM
Bad stuff... :hug:

That reminds me though, I really should get that leaky radiator replaced before winter comes... :rolleyes:

And I've got rats living under my shed apparently. Hey, so you don't need to feed your cat for a few days! :wink:

Hope the rest of your car is OK, but like Sheena said, the important thing is that you're OK. :hug:

JoC
14th-September-2005, 07:29 AM
Thankyou eveyone :flower: , I feel better now after my 'pah!' moment.

At least I've got something different to do this weekend.

('It's just stuff' is so right, darn it though it means I have to keep going to work to pay repair people, no sign of that early retirement yet then!)

Jive Brummie
15th-September-2005, 12:32 AM
we eventually got the boiler fixed...

Took over 3 weeks. In the end I, (in my impatient little way) ended up calling another company...moaned about the first one to them and hey presto they came around the following day and fixed the problem. Not only were they far better than the first company but they were a damn site cheaper to boot.

So, if you have a problem with your boiler and live in the Dundee area, may I recommend McGills and poo poo Donachie's. All personal opinion of course, but may I add that McGills also identified that Donachie's had connected 'some' wires around the wrong way...hence boiler-it-no-worky!

Hmmmmmmmm, sharpen those spurs cowboy...YEEEEEHAAAAA!

JB x x

JoC
15th-September-2005, 02:03 PM
we eventually got the boiler fixed...

Took over 3 weeks. In the end I, (in my impatient little way) ended up calling another company...moaned about the first one to them and hey presto they came around the following day and fixed the problem. Not only were they far better than the first company but they were a damn site cheaper to boot.

So, if you have a problem with your boiler and live in the Dundee area, may I recommend McGills and poo poo Donachie's. All personal opinion of course, but may I add that McGills also identified that Donachie's had connected 'some' wires around the wrong way...hence boiler-it-no-worky!

Hmmmmmmmm, sharpen those spurs cowboy...YEEEEEHAAAAA!

JB x xI'll second the recommendation that you find someone competent when it comes to gas boilers... years ago I got a company to do the annual service on my gas boiler by recommendation from a friend. I used to leave them to get on with it while I was out of the house. One year the boiler broke down barely a month after a 'service'. I decided to get Scottish Gas out and when they took the heater away to look at the boiler it was thick with soot, clearly hadn't even been cleaned during it's recent 'service', and had been left in a dangerous state.

At that point I signed up for the Scottish Gas service agreement and got a CO monitor fitted, and feel considerably safer for it.

ducasi
8th-October-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't have a tale of woe to tell as bad as those preceding me, but I wanted to ask for some advice as well as have a wee moan, and this seemed like the perfect place!

So, as I've mentioned before, I'm currently recovering from a wee stomach bug that has laid me low since Wednesday night...

This has meant I missed my new Salsa class that started on Thursday that I'm never going to catch up with. :sad:

It's also meant more than my average amount of self-catering... But now my microwave has gone on the blink! Even though there's only peas in a plastic bowl in it, when I turned it on it started making arcing sounds, combined with that lovely electrical fire smell that goes with it. :tears:

OK, so I have a hob, and pots and pans etc, but in the state I'm in I shouldn't have to deal with this! :sick:

Any thoughts what I should do with the microwave? I couldn't see any arcing, so I don't know where the problem is, but do you think if I gave it a really good clean (and it needs one!) it would help? Or do you think it's ready for the skip? :(

Oh, while I'm here, and keeping the theme of boilers, I wrote, almost a month ago...

That reminds me though, I really should get that leaky radiator replaced before winter comes... Anyone here a plumber or heating engineer and wouldn't mind answering a few stupid questions? :flower:

Tiggerbabe
8th-October-2005, 05:25 PM
But now my microwave has gone on the blink! Even though there's only peas in a plastic bowl in it, when I turned it on it started making arcing sounds, combined with that lovely electrical fire smell that goes with it. :tears:

OK, so I have a hob, and pots and pans etc, but in the state I'm in I shouldn't have to deal with this! :sick:

Any thoughts what I should do with the microwave? I couldn't see any arcing, so I don't know where the problem is, but do you think if I gave it a really good clean (and it needs one!) it would help? Or do you think it's ready for the skip? :(
I'd throw it out - you can get a reasonable microwave for silly pounds nowadays. Anything electrical that starts going wrong.........too risky!

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 06:00 PM
I'd throw it out - you can get a reasonable microwave for silly pounds nowadays. Anything electrical that starts going wrong.........too risky!Take the fork out of the bowl of peas? Seriously, try cooking just a glass of water. If it still makes a funny noise then it's time for a new microwave oven...

ducasi
8th-October-2005, 07:27 PM
Take the fork out of the bowl of peas? Seriously, try cooking just a glass of water. If it still makes a funny noise then it's time for a new microwave oven...
I'm going to give it a good clean and see what happens... I'm also watching "Brainiacs: Science Abuse" for tips on how to really destroy it if I need to get rid of it. :devil:

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm going to give it a good clean and see what happens... I'm also watching "Brainiacs: Science Abuse" for tips on how to really destroy it if I need to get rid of it. :devil:
I gave it a good clean, and it's as good as new now!!! :D :D :D

And after watching the above TV programme I now know never to put a large bowl of conkers in my microwave! :eek:

Much happier now! :grin:

Aleks
10th-October-2005, 03:57 PM
Much happier now! :grin:

Have you recovered from the lurgey yet?

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 03:59 PM
Have you recovered from the lurgey yet?
A fair bit... :nice: Thanks for asking. :hug:

I am, as my location says, now just "wandering around, looking dazed."

Dance Demon
4th-January-2006, 10:34 PM
Does it come in Threes.........
1) ...Irenes dad went into hospital a fewdays before Christmas to have a tumour removed from his lung. he then developed an infection in his good lung, is still in intensive care, and is very poorly.
2) Just before Christmas, we discovered that someone had got our bank details and siphoned just over £2000 out of our account. ( bank has given us the money back , but we are now paranoid about using our switch cards for anything)
3) coming home from work today, travelling down a road i travel nearly every day, I skidded on black ice, down a slope & into a Mercedees that was parked at the side of the road. I wasn't going fast, but when i skidded (front wheels) i just picked up momentum, and all attempts at steering out of it were in vain. bang goes the no claims bonus..............

thats three....please, no more:sad:

Jenni
4th-January-2006, 10:50 PM
1) ...Irenes dad went into hospital a fewdays before Christmas to have a tumour removed from his lung. he then developed an infection in his good lung, is still in intensive care, and is very poorly.
2) Just before Christmas, we discovered that someone had got our bank details and siphoned just over £2000 out of our account. ( bank has given us the money back , but we are now paranoid about using our switch cards for anything)
3) coming home from work today, travelling down a road i travel nearly every day, I skidded on black ice, down a slope & into a Mercedees that was parked at the side of the road. I wasn't going fast, but when i skidded (front wheels) i just picked up momentum, and all attempts at steering out of it were in vain. bang goes the no claims bonus..............

:hug: poor you - Irene was saying at Hogmanay that she wondered what the 3rd thing was going to be

Petal
5th-January-2006, 10:15 AM

:yeah:

Mine are minor compared with DD's:

1. CD player in the car broke;
2. Washing broke down, engineer says the part it needs is obsolete;
3. Mobile phone stopped working.

Expensive start to 2006, but it could be worse.

Birlmeister
19th-January-2006, 02:27 PM
To cheer you all up when you've got a few 'stand-by' minutes ..

I thought this really puts things in perspective. Next time you have a bad day at work...think of this guy.

Rob is a commercial saturation diver for Global Divers in Louisiana. He performs underwater repairs on offshore drilling rigs.
Below is an e-mail he sent to his sister. She then sent it to Laughline, who was sponsoring a "worst job experience" contest. Needless to say, she won.

Hi Sue,
Just another note from your bottom-dwelling brother. Last week I had a bad day at the office. I know you've been feeling down lately at work, so I thought I would share my dilemma with you to make you realise it's not so bad after all. Before I can tell you what
happened to me, I first must bore you with a few technicalities of my job.

As you know, my office lies at the bottom of the sea. I wear a suit to the office. It's a wetsuit. This time of year the water is quite cool. So what we do to keep warm is this: We have a diesel powered industrial water heater. This $20,000 piece of **** sucks the water out of the sea. It heats it to a delightful temperature. It then pumps it down to the diver through a garden hose, which is taped to the air hose. Now this sounds like a damn good plan, and I've used it several times with no complaints. What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working, is I take the hose and stuff it down the back of my wetsuit. This floods my whole suit with warm water. It's like working in a Jacuzzi.

Everything was going well until all of a sudden, my ass started to itch. So of course, I scratched it. This only made things worse. Within a few seconds my ass started to burn. I pulled the hose out from my back, but the damage was done. In agony I realised what had happened. The hot water machine had sucked up a jellyfish and pumped it into my suit. Now since I don't have any hair on my back, the jellyfish couldn't stick to it. However, the crack of my ass was not as fortunate. When I scratched what I thought was an itch, I was actually grinding the jellyfish into my ass. I informed the dive supervisor of my dilemma over the communicator. His instructions were unclear due to the fact that he, along with 5 other divers, were all laughing hysterically. Needless to say I aborted the dive.

I was instructed to make 3 agonising in-water decompression stops totalling 35 minutes before I could reach the surface to begin my chamber dry decompression. When I arrived at the surface, I was wearing nothing but my brass helmet. As I climbed out of the water, the medic, with tears of laughter running down his face, handed me a tube of cream and told me to rub it on my ass as soon as I get in the chamber. The cream put the fire out, but I couldn't **** for 2 days because my asshole was swollen shut. So, next time you're having a bad day at work, think about how much worse it would be if you had a jellyfish shoved up your ass.

under par
19th-January-2006, 03:29 PM
To cheer you all up when you've got a few 'stand-by' minutes ..

I thought this really puts things in perspective. Next time you have a bad day at work...think of this guy.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hink about how much worse it would be if you had a jellyfish shoved up your ass.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
]
]I thoughht spillingh coffeed ovedr the kedboard wasz bad newsz

philsmove
19th-January-2006, 03:46 PM
. Next time you have a bad day at work....

Does any one remember or still, have a copy of Derek And Clive (Live) The Worst Job I Ever Had,
Island LP ILPS 9434, Krass KLP 68, CD IMCD 7

LMC
20th-January-2006, 12:07 PM
My purse was stolen :sad:

I only lost a few quid and cards (which I've stopped of course). But it's damned inconvenient and I really liked the purse :(

under par
20th-January-2006, 02:54 PM
My purse was stolen :sad:

I only lost a few quid and cards (which I've stopped of course). But it's damned inconvenient and I really liked the purse :(

But isn't just the worst thing when you lose your cards you wait while you search high and low.

Then you take the plunge to report them lost/stolen and 5 minutes later someone finds them for you .........but its too late you can't use them now!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Minnie M
20th-January-2006, 02:59 PM
But isn't just the worst thing when you lose your cards you wait while you search high and low.

Then you take the plunge to report them lost/stolen and 5 minutes later someone finds them for you .........but its too late you can't use them now!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
:yeah: that's what kindof happened to me yesterday :tears:
Whilst shopping at lunchtime, noticed my purse was not in my handbag, first search high and low EVERYWHERE for it (well nearly everywhere)

- I reported it to the police (both Hove & Brighton) contacted bank and credit card companies (yes I had two) rang the dentist up to check my next appointment (appointment card in purse) rang the stores up, to cancel store cards - rang Nector for new card etc etc.

Then................. found my purse under the driver's seat in my car :tears: :tears:

LMC
20th-January-2006, 03:15 PM
I've done that as well Minnie, and it *is* annoying!

But it's definitely gone this time - someone had already put 40 quid on the credit card by the time I phoned the issuer (which I'll get back, obv.). And I will have to keep an eye on my bank account the next few days to check that no-one's tried to use the Switch card.

Minnie M
20th-January-2006, 05:53 PM
I've done that as well Minnie, and it *is* annoying!

But it's definitely gone this time - someone had already put 40 quid on the credit card by the time I phoned the issuer (which I'll get back, obv.). And I will have to keep an eye on my bank account the next few days to check that no-one's tried to use the Switch card.
I cancelled my switch card first ...... lucky enough I had £50 in my purse (well lucky I found it that is. Initially I felt like treating myself with the £50 as I had already written it off - but then realised it was my only means to cash till the cards come through :sick:

TheTramp
20th-January-2006, 05:56 PM
When I lost my cards, the bank were happy to make provision for me to pick up cash at my local bank.

I had to call them to arrange it, then take along my cheque book, and a form of ID (passport), and they contacted the branch to arrange an emergency withdrawal.

LMC
20th-January-2006, 06:01 PM
I'll do that on Monday, but don't have ID or my chequebook with me today due to PPP* and oversleeping this morning :blush:

*p-poor planning

TheTramp
20th-January-2006, 06:16 PM
I'll do that on Monday, but don't have ID or my chequebook with me today due to PPP* and oversleeping this morning :blush:

*p-poor planning

Won't they do it for you on Saturday morning? The bank and helpline are both open, so I'd have thought that they'd help.

LMC
20th-January-2006, 06:24 PM
I have an emergency stash and I'm too bone idle to fight traffic into the town centre tomorrow, frankly! If I knew I was dancing all weekend it would be different but my back needs a break tonight and I won't know about tomorrow until tomorrow. But thanks for the advice :) :hug:

TheTramp
20th-January-2006, 06:29 PM
But thanks for the advice :) :hug:

That's ok. I take rep*!

*Am I turning into DavidJames? :eek: :tears:

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-January-2006, 11:22 AM
When I lost my cards, the bank were happy to make provision for me to pick up cash at my local bank.

What?? You had to do it that way in the old days before cards and I would have thought you could still just walk into a bank and get your money without a card!

Now they've got to make special provision for you to withdraw your own cash? Ill try my best not to lose my cards then :(

Little Monkey
31st-January-2006, 01:27 PM
Bad luck? Oh yes!

About a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my kiln wasn't really working properly, and have now discovered it needs complete re-wiring and new elements, which is going to cost roughly £200++.

About a week ago, my doggie gave me a scare by being quite poorly, but thank goodness she's recovered again, without having to go to the vet and run up lots of huge vet bills.:clap:

And then...... Walking home from my studio yesterday with doggie (Troll) and Greg, I carefully steered Troll clear of some broken glass on the pavement. I said to Greg "I really don't want any cut paws, Troll's not been to the vet for ages, she's doing really well, and I don't want any more injuries or vet visits!" He instantly replied "Oh, you shouldn't have said that, she'll get injured now!"

About ten minutes later, we were throwing balls with Troll, and all of a sudden one of the tennis balls came back covered in blood....:( After a quick examination, I found out she'd cut the pad on her right front leg rather badly! :tears: As I'm typing this, Troll is in 'doggie hospital' having an operation, as the pad was so badly cut, and it couldn't be stitched back on again, so it has to come off!! :eek: :sick: My poor doggie! :tears:

So, lesson to be learned: Never say that something is going well, as you instantly jinx it, and bad things will happen..... This repeatedly happens every time I say my dog is doing well (most accident prone creature on planet earth!!), or that my back is getting better.......

Upset Little Monkey :(

Little Monkey
31st-January-2006, 01:39 PM
Umm, thanks for the rep, whoever repped me! Also hope your doggie's leg will get better soon!:flower:

LM

drathzel
31st-January-2006, 01:40 PM
Umm, thanks for the rep, whoever repped me! Also hope your doggie's leg will get better soon!:flower:

LM

That was me... oops!:hug:

Little Monkey
31st-January-2006, 01:44 PM
That was me... oops!:hug:

Thanks sweetie! :hug: :kiss: :flower:

Barry Shnikov
31st-January-2006, 02:21 PM
Got in today after the long weekend to find a client rang the office partner yesterday (in my absence) because he's got a bad temper. He's already apologised to me and agreed that everything is pretty much as I told him it would be, but the firm is still treating it as a formal complaint.
Either I'm doing things very badly or I've got a collection of awkward bloody clients.
Feeling very gloomy.

drathzel
31st-January-2006, 02:28 PM
I've got a collection of awkward bloody clients.

Its more likely to be this one!:hug:

Barry Shnikov
31st-January-2006, 05:54 PM
Its more likely to be this one!:hug:
Just bumped into your mushroom comments on another thread - don't feel so gloomy now!:grin:

Little Monkey
25th-April-2006, 04:41 PM
Well, if it isn't me, I can always count on my dog getting into trouble.....

Since January, she's been injured 3 times! :tears:

Today, as I was playing ball with her in the garden, she ran face first into the corner of my brick barbeque....... After a quick inspection, I found that she's totally splintered a front tooth! :eek: So tonight we're off to see the vet again...... God only knows how much it's going to cost me this time. But thankfully I do have insurance, so anything above £55 is covered. Phew! But that's really money I need for other things! :tears:

When getting a dog (I grew up with dogs in the family, but this is my first dog), I never quite expected it to be this expensive! I fork out several hundred pounds to the vet every year, not to mention feeding her chicken when she's poorly, and buying endless supplies of bandages etc!

My theory is that she's knocked her head so many times that there's not many active brain cells left, hence she's even more stupid and accident prone.:rolleyes:

Anyone else got a dog as accident prone as mine?:confused:

Sad Little Monkey

Rhythm King
26th-April-2006, 05:11 PM
So is she called "Lucky"? And what are you doing with a barbecue anyway, brick or otherwise, you know you're only asking for trouble :devil:

But seriously, hope your dog is ok :flower:

Little Monkey
26th-April-2006, 07:04 PM
So is she called "Lucky"? And what are you doing with a barbecue anyway, brick or otherwise, you know you're only asking for trouble :devil:

Damn! You weren't meant to know about my barbeque!! You're not planning any trips to Scotland anytime soon, are you?:sick:

But seriously, hope your dog is ok :flower:

Well, after paying £115 for having her tooth removed (and her teeth de-scaled and polished at the same time!), I now have a very woozy, wobbly dog (still drugged, poor thing!) with an interesting new and brilliantly white grin. She now barks with a lisp.:rofl:

Little Monkey
27th-April-2006, 10:12 AM
I honestly think someone's jinxed me..... Whoever it is, please stop!!!

2006 started with a broken kiln, so I couldn't fire any ceramics for almost two months, losing lots of money (and then of course there was the bill for the kiln repair...). Then doggie got injured and had to have a small op, which luckily only cost about £60 in total. A couple of weeks after recovering from the first injury, she got injured again.:( Then my hot water tank decided to gush water out of the overflow, but thankfully that only cost £20 to get fixed! That was a couple of weeks ago. Then on Monday, doggie crushed her tooth, and needed to have the tooth pulled, which cost £115.....:sick: And last night when I was going to do my dishes, the kitchen tap broke, so I had to turn off the water at the mains, and now I don't have any water, and am waiting for the plumber again!:tears:

So, whoever has jinxed me, please give me a break! Had enough!

Thankfully it's just a week until I go to London (and Camber), so I can stock up on cuddles! :D And after Camber it's Monday Meltdown (wooooo!), so I get my dance fix (and a half!)!:clap:

Rhythm King
27th-April-2006, 04:14 PM
Thankfully it's just a week until I go to London (and Camber), so I can stock up on cuddles! :D And after Camber it's Monday Meltdown (wooooo!), so I get my dance fix (and a half!)!:clap:

Great, I'll get the charcoal in...:devil:

Little Monkey
27th-April-2006, 04:36 PM
Great, I'll get the charcoal in...:devil:

And I'll bring the fire extinguisher! :cool:

stewart38
28th-April-2006, 03:23 PM
Water leaked from over flow pipe in bathroom through ceiling into the kitchen downstairs and into the boiler down stairs :sad:

Initial Cost for emergency call outs £655 :sad:

Insurance company paid up straight away :grin:

Repair now required to ceiling of kitchen

Said ceiling its found have asbestos in it :sad:

wants to sell house

up date to follow

Sparkles
20th-June-2006, 12:09 AM
OK, as much as I hate to come on the forum and have a moan I've just about had enough bad luck for my liking lately!

Last Tuesday I had my purse stolen from my locked locker at work (someone broke into the department during the day and used some kind of device and brute force to break into my locker). Luckily they didn't take anything apart from my purse. Reported all cards etc. stolen, reported to police and on-site security what had happened etc.
Then today found my car had been clamped outside my flat for not having the permit on display (it was in the car just not 'on display'), so to get it released I had to pay £120. Luckily (or so I thought) one of my current account's cards had come through in the post so I went to go and get the money out of the bank... only to find that whoever stole my purse has also wiped out my account (which contained all the money I had been saving up to pay for my car insurance, due in September). So I had to take the money out of my savings (which I am not supposed to touch at all), pay the release fee and, eventually, head over to Monday Meltdown.

I would like to say thank you to all the lovely people at Monday Meltdown for doing their best to cheer me up and for being so understanding that my dancing was pretty rubbish :flower:.

senorita
20th-June-2006, 09:07 AM
OK, as much as I hate to come on the forum and have a moan I've just about had enough bad luck for my liking lately!

Last Tuesday I had my purse stolen from my locked locker at work (someone broke into the department during the day and used some kind of device and brute force to break into my locker). Luckily they didn't take anything apart from my purse. Reported all cards etc. stolen, reported to police and on-site security what had happened etc.
Then today found my car had been clamped outside my flat for not having the permit on display (it was in the car just not 'on display'), so to get it released I had to pay £120. Luckily (or so I thought) one of my current account's cards had come through in the post so I went to go and get the money out of the bank... only to find that whoever stole my purse has also wiped out my account (which contained all the money I had been saving up to pay for my car insurance, due in September). So I had to take the money out of my savings (which I am not supposed to touch at all), pay the release fee and, eventually, head over to Monday Meltdown.

I would like to say thank you to all the lovely people at Monday Meltdown for doing their best to cheer me up and for being so understanding that my dancing was pretty rubbish :flower:.

So sorrry to hear this:hug: :hug:

Well who ever stole your purse :mad: takes your bad luck with them!!

I'm passing all good wishes, great happy spirits & great luck to you, hope you get them real soon :hug: :flower:

Sheepman
20th-June-2006, 03:03 PM
and for being so understanding that my dancing was pretty rubbish :flower:. I wish I could be that good when my dancing was rubbish!
I hope you rapidly get everything sorted, with the bank returning your money to it's rightful owner!

Greg :hug: :hug: :hug: :flower:

stewart38
20th-June-2006, 04:01 PM
I like this

---------------------

God's Boxes

I have in my hands two boxes,
Which God gave me to hold.
He said, "Put all your sorrows in the black box,
And all your joys in the gold."

I heeded His words, and in the two boxes,
Both my joys and sorrows I stored,
But though the gold became heavier each day,
The black was as light as before.

With curiosity, I opened the black,
I wanted to find out why,
And I saw, in the base of the box, a hole,
Which my sorrows had fallen out by.

I showed the hole to God, and mused,
"I wonder where my sorrows could be!"
He smiled a gentle smile and said,
"My child, they're all here with me.."

I asked God, why He gave me the boxes,
Why the gold and the black with the hole?
"My child, the gold is for you to count your blessings,
The black is for you to let go."

-------------------------

jacksondonut
20th-June-2006, 04:07 PM
I like this

---------------------

God's Boxes

I have in my hands two boxes,
Which God gave me to hold.
He said, "Put all your sorrows in the black box,
And all your joys in the gold."

I heeded His words, and in the two boxes,
Both my joys and sorrows I stored,
But though the gold became heavier each day,
The black was as light as before.

With curiosity, I opened the black,
I wanted to find out why,
And I saw, in the base of the box, a hole,
Which my sorrows had fallen out by.

I showed the hole to God, and mused,
"I wonder where my sorrows could be!"
He smiled a gentle smile and said,
"My child, they're all here with me.."

I asked God, why He gave me the boxes,
Why the gold and the black with the hole?
"My child, the gold is for you to count your blessings,
The black is for you to let go."

-------------------------

Thankyou for that.... i will remember this when things are going wrong for me and it will make me smile again.. :flower: :flower:

Sparkles... my thoughts are with you, lovely lady... :hug: :hug:

:flower: :flower: :flower:

stewart38
20th-June-2006, 04:25 PM
Water leaked from over flow pipe in bathroom through ceiling into the kitchen downstairs and into the boiler down stairs :sad:

Initial Cost for emergency call outs £655 :sad:

Insurance company paid up straight away :grin:

Repair now required to ceiling of kitchen

Said ceiling its found have asbestos in it :sad:

wants to sell house

up date to follow

Just read this

All the repairs were done perfectly :flower:

This is Abbey National , ive written many 'letters of complaints to them' over the yrs

May a letter of thanks ? unheard of ?

Rhythm King
20th-June-2006, 05:23 PM

~snip~

Sparkles,

considering everything that had been going on, you looked fabulous, our dances were a dream, as ever:yum: , and you still managed to produce not one, but two absolutely scrumptious cakes.

Have a hug and fingers crossed it's all sorted out soon.

R-K :hug:

Little Monkey
14th-September-2006, 11:23 PM
Aaaargh, I seem to be quite a regular poster on this thread.......:(

Things just aren't going very well..... Last week my kiln broke again, for the 3rd time this year, and it's going to cost about £250 to fix it. Before the Scottish champs, all sorts of little things went wrong, like all the swarowski crystals coming off the trousers I was going to wear, despite me hand washing them gently (according to the washing instruction on the glue I used, it can be machine washed, and should be suitable to glue crystals on any fabric!). And my dog cut her paw again. Etc.

Oh, and on Tuesday I went to teach my mosaic workshop, and found that vandals have been throwing rocks at the mosaic we're working on, and had smashed big bits of it off.....:angry:

Tonight I came home at 10pm after teaching my pottery night class, just wanting to finish packing for Southport and then head for my bed (knackered, and my back isn't too happy)........ And I found my kitchen flooded!!:tears: I've spent the last hour cleaning up my kitchen, and emptying it, helped by my lovely neighbour (that woman's a saint!).

I would really like something nice to happen soon. I need a holiday, I think...

I apologise in advance for my dancing this weekend (it'll be bad...), as I will be totally knackered and will have a sore back...... Be gentle with me! :flower:

Tired, Fustrated and Fed Up Little Monkey

Little Monkey
15th-September-2006, 12:08 AM
Hey, this isn't fair! Now my rep power suddenly dropped to 3!!!!!

In the last week it's gone from 5 to 3 to 4 and now back to 3 again.......:confused:

Little Monkey
15th-September-2006, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the rep, and for the offer of a cuddle.... But to come and find you, I'd need to know who you are.....:rolleyes: :flower: