PDA

View Full Version : Club Med - Feedback?

Gus
28th-July-2005, 08:30 PM
After prompting by DavidB to improve the quality of life for Londerners, I'm following his suggestion and leaving the country ..... well for a week or so :waycool:

One option being actively considered is going to Turkey with Club Med in early October. Has anyone got any comments re Club Med hols, good or bad?

KatieR
28th-July-2005, 08:47 PM
After prompting by DavidB to improve the quality of life for Londerners, I'm following his suggestion and leaving the country ..... well for a week or so :waycool:

One option being actively considered is going to Turkey with Club Med in early October. Has anyone got any comments re Club Med hols, good or bad?

Ive not been on a club med Turkey holiday but have been on a 5 day Turkey holiday with a group called TravelMood. dont know if its a similar thing but we travelled around with the same group of people and I found it really great. Everything was all planned so all we had to do was make sure that we showed up when the bus left. it certainly makes it easier from a tourist perspective as travelling on my own i would never have seen half the places or done a lot of the things we did as I just wouldn't have known about them. Also didnt have to worry about accommodation, getting to and from hotels etc so a lot of the worry and stress was taken out of the equation... definately worth it.

Dont know if that helps.... :)

cerocmetro
29th-July-2005, 02:57 AM

I can only speak from the experience of one club med trip. We went to Bintan 3 years ago. I swore that I would never get all happy clappy like the people who greeted us and like the people who were leaving as we arrived. They had flowers around their necks in their hair and were all singing the club med song of the day. I was determinded to keep my sanity and individuality and not to enjoy the holiday. I fought and fought for about 14 hours. I lost.

I had a bloody good time. The kids loved it. We ate so much top quality food it was rude.

The accomodation was good, not excellent but good.

You use their money, monopoly money. As you are then not using real money it is much easier to spend it and you do.

Obviously one club will vary from another and waking up every morning looking out over the South China Sea was pretty spectacular. And the golf courses, oh my god the golf courses, but again probably just a local thing.

There is no stop entertainment if that is your thing, great for the kids.

Yes I guess I would recommend it if you consider it to be an up market Butlins.

But if you really want to improve the quality of life, come and live in New Zealand
Adam

Gus
29th-July-2005, 07:22 AM
But if you really want to improve the quality of life, come and live in New ZealandDuuuurrrrrr I KNOW that .... and when I finally find out just how the heck to earn a crust in NZ (I think they pay about 1/3 UK rates) I will be out there on the next bannana boat with a one way ticket.

Cruella
29th-July-2005, 11:15 AM
I can only speak from the experience of one club med trip. We went to Bintan 3 years ago. I swore that I would never get all happy clappy like the people who greeted us and like the people who were leaving as we arrived. They had flowers around their necks in their hair and were all singing the club med song of the day. I was determinded to keep my sanity and individuality and not to enjoy the holiday. I fought and fought for about 14 hours. I lost.

I had a bloody good time. The kids loved it. We ate so much top quality food it was rude.

The accomodation was good, not excellent but good.

You use their money, monopoly money. As you are then not using real money it is much easier to spend it and you do.

Obviously one club will vary from another and waking up every morning looking out over the South China Sea was pretty spectacular. And the golf courses, oh my god the golf courses, but again probably just a local thing.

There is no stop entertainment if that is your thing, great for the kids.Yes I guess I would recommend it if you consider it to be an up market Butlins.

But if you really want to improve the quality of life, come and live in New Zealand
Adam

If you need to borrow some kids Gus to get the full value of the holiday, you can take mine with you. :rofl:

Sparkles
29th-July-2005, 11:30 AM
Yes I guess I would recommend it if you consider it to be an up market Butlins.

:yeah:
Went with Club Med to Sicily and if you want to not worry about anything it's great - all catered, good accomodation, big swimming pools, plenty of activities and alcohol to give you the nerve to do them - but I couldn't help feeling extremely penned-in the whole time :sick: .

It's almost impossible to escape the holiday complex and although I fought the happy-clapper syndrome and won :cool: I was frowned upon for doing so. It seems you either give in or are shunned.

Still it was relaxing if all you want to do is sit by the pool and play minature golf - but if you like a bit of excitement to your holidays and want to get out there and explore a bit it may not be for you.

Oh, and of course make sure you avoid half-term week - otherwise you'll be overun with kids!

S. x

Ginger Lynne
30th-July-2005, 12:02 AM
Never mind Club Med join 90 of us action dancing types in antigua in September. I am going........ :wink:

Ginger Lynne

Martin
30th-July-2005, 12:57 AM

I would do the club med thing again.
I went to Bali - 3 times, and Malaysia once.
Club Med are large holiday resorts with lots of activities, bands, night clubs and loads of sports, on and off the land. You can join in, or chill, up to you and how you feel at the time.
Happy clappy is there if you want it, up to you how you feel. I felt no pressure, so did happy clappy, when I felt happy clappy.
Food is amazing, after the first 2 days, you calm down a bit, and go for the favorites.
I found the accomadation to be good.
It is a French concept, so expect English, French, then a few other languages when they do the MC'ing.
Everything is covered in your initial payment, including beer and wine (as much as you like) at Lunch and Dinner.
As to the bars, you buy tokens, then up to you how much you drink, they do have 2 for 1 happy times!

If you want to leave the site you can, so up to you. When I went I did 2 day trips, spent the rest of the time on-site chilling and joining in some of the activities (lots on offer)

Debster
30th-July-2005, 06:50 AM
Duuuurrrrrr I KNOW that .... and when I finally find out just how the heck to earn a crust in NZ (I think they pay about 1/3 UK rates) I will be out there on the next bannana boat with a one way ticket.

Then DUH! again... it only costs about a third to live here! (If you aren't in central Auckland of course). Go on - you know you want to... :wink: