PDA

View Full Version : christmas number one

PeterL
18th-December-2002, 02:30 PM
just recieved this email and I thought I would post it on the forum. I think it is an excellent idea. Though I'm not sure what dancing to the cheeky girls would be like.

On Sunday evening at 6:30pm ITV will broadcast the final of Popstars: The Rivals during which, according to the programme makers, 'the ultimate winner of the chart race to number one will be revealed'.

It doesn't matter whether the eventual chart-topper is Girls Aloud's 'Sound of the Underground' or One True Voice's 'Sacred Trust' - the fact remains that, for the first time ever, the Christmas number one spot will have been shamelessly bought rather than won.

But it doesn't have to be like that. With your help, we can stop them! Just imagine the look on Pete Waterman, Geri Halliwell and Louis Walsh's stupid, smug McDonalds-sponsored faces if, despite the multi-million pound TV series, the carefully targetted performances on children's TV and the in-store public appearances, neither band makes it to number one.

Go on, just close your eyes and imagine it.

According to the mid-week charts, The Cheeky Girls' 'The Cheeky Song' will be at number three on Sunday. But they're only trailing One True Voice by a few thousand sales and - if enough of us go into the shops in the next
few days and buy their single - they could easily overtake both the boys and the girls to become this year's Christmas number one.

It will be a huge slap in the face for the Waterman, Walsh, Halliwell axis of evil - and what's more it's very easy to achieve.

Here's what you have to do:

1) Go in to any major high street music shop before this Saturday afternoon and pick up a copy of The Cheeky Girls' - The Cheeky Song. Even better, pick up two - they make perfect ironic Christmas gifts. (Stick to HMV, Virgin
etc. as these contribute towards the charts. Do not buy it online as it won't count.)

2) Take your purchase to the checkout. Show the cashier a print-out of this email if you feel embarrassed.

3) Pay for your purchase. (You may be asked if you would like a bag. This is entirely up to you, bags are free and do not affect the charts in any way.)

4) Take your purchase home and either listen to it or throw it away. It
really doesn't matter. Even if you hate the
song, enough people buying it will make Pete Waterman look like an absolute
dick on Sunday and that's the important thing.

5) Forward this email to everyone you know. Tell your friends about it. Print out copies and leave them on the bus. If you have a website/weblog, mention it there. If we're going to succeed we need to tell as many people as possible about the appeal.

If we pull together, we can give the UK a proper (naff, catchy, novelty pop)Christmas number one this year while delivering a special seasonal slap to three people who really deserve it.

So remember: Buy The Cheeky Song. Tell everyone you know to do the same. Tune in on Sunday. Watch their faces.
Thanks for your support.

The Campaign For A Real Christmas Number One.

Dreadful Scathe
18th-December-2002, 02:38 PM
positions in the charts have been bought for years (lots of underhand methods, lots of fines handed out to managers etc..) - at least pop stars are up front about it :). I doubt if anyone cares either :).

PeterL
18th-December-2002, 02:42 PM
The email I posted may just be another sales technique started by the cheeky girls and I have also had it pointed out to me that Pete Waterman is there producer.

However it is a clever sales technique that will probably get quite a few sales.