PDA

View Full Version : Summer Olympics 2012

stewart38
27th-July-2005, 03:27 PM
Ok in seven years time today ie 27/7/2012 the summer Olympics is going to start in London

Whos going ?

Serioulsy I wonder how the world will have changed my then and if this forum will still exists :sick:

Stuart
27th-July-2005, 04:05 PM
I've already volunteered to help.

Andy McGregor
27th-July-2005, 05:53 PM
I've already volunteered to help.Where do we sign up?

JoC
27th-July-2005, 07:49 PM
Do you think they might need us for a dancing display at the opening ceremony? :D

Stuart
27th-July-2005, 07:53 PM
Where do we sign up?

Its on the website under "Make Britain Proud":

www.london2012.com (http://www.london2012.com)

philsmove
4th-June-2007, 06:03 PM
So what do people think of the new Logo :confused: :confused: :confused:

BBC SPORT | Other Sport... | Olympics 2012 | London unveils logo of 2012 Games (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/6718243.stm)

David Franklin
4th-June-2007, 06:32 PM
So what do people think of the new Logo :confused: :confused: :confused: To steal a Dilbert joke:

I understand we paid a top team of consultants £400K to design the logo.

I'm really glad we didn't try to skimp with a low-bidder team of £350K designers.

Yeah. It might have sucked.

David Bailey
4th-June-2007, 07:43 PM
So what do people think of the new Logo :confused: :confused: :confused:

OK:

It's functionally difficult - if you're trying to appeal to an international audience, the last thing you want is to make things difficult to read. The "2"s look like "Z"s, for example.

It's non-memorable - there's no "easy-to-remember" shape or clear identity in my opinion.

It's ambiguous - no immediate association I can see with sports activities.

Having said that, it may well succeed through sheer bad-ness, however; in the same way that a lot of people have heard of the film "Plan 9 from Outer Space", for example.

Stuart M
5th-June-2007, 07:52 AM
OK:

It's functionally difficult - if you're trying to appeal to an international audience, the last thing you want is to make things difficult to read. The "2"s look like "Z"s, for example.

It's non-memorable - there's no "easy-to-remember" shape or clear identity in my opinion.

It's ambiguous - no immediate association I can see with sports activities.

Yeah but at the same time, it's disjointed, garish, expensive, and ultimately irrelevant to most people. So it scores highly on the "summing up the 2012 Games" factor.

Magic Hans
5th-June-2007, 08:12 AM
Great hilarity at this one!!

I've heard various takes on what this reminds people of:

1) Slighty gay looking curly haired bloke bent down toward the right, left hand on the floor, right (gaily) and in the air [almost like an american football scrimmage position]

2) Person on the right has slightly bent over the person on the left for a bit of back door action!

3) Person on the left has just delivered a Dundee Knee (kick in the crotch) to the person on the right.

What do you think? Any other little images out there??

Ian

Andy McGregor
5th-June-2007, 08:24 AM
What is that miss-shaped square in the middle supposed to signify?

And, is it just me? Do the 2s remind you of the Waffen SS logo?

I wonder what the ones they rejected looked like?

Having developed logos, and spent similar amounts on doing it, I believe that there will be a great deal of research to justify the development and selection of this particular logo. Also, if my experience is anything to go by, there will have been some very long luches and very snooty women in expensive clothes with plummy accents who get a little loud when they've had a few drinks.

David Franklin
5th-June-2007, 09:19 AM
What is that miss-shaped square in the middle supposed to signify?Well, if the left side of the image is taken to be Bill Clinton, and the right side of the image is taken to be Monica Lewinsky, then I suppose you might hypothesize that the misshaped square is Bill Clinton's cigar! :blush:

Dreadful Scathe
5th-June-2007, 10:08 AM
theres some hilarious comments about it here in theregister (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/04/olympic_logo/comments/#c_17796). My favourites are :

the rather rude
Clearly this depicts London taking it up the arse from a man with the Olympic logo on his head. This probably refers to the fact that Londoners will be paying for the Olympics for a generation.

and of course
My colleagues and I think it looks like a dancing monkey. Can anyone else see this?

LM - how did you manage it ? :)

but the big laughs have got to go to the marketing of this etch-a-sketch drawing...

{it} symbolises the Olympic spirit and the ability of the Games to inspire people to take part

does it now...hmmm....

This is a truly innovative brand logo that graphically captures the essence of the London 2012 Olympic Games

eh? Garish and stupid ? what does he mean ? :)

When people see the new brand, we want them to be inspired to make a positive change in their life

take up graphic design, figuring it must be **** easy to get 400k for 5 seconds clicking random buttons in photoshop ?

This is an iconic brand that sums up what London 2012 is all about - an inclusive, welcoming and diverse Games that involves the whole country.

Aah so the logo represents the break-up of the United Kingdom. Now it makes sense ;)

David Bailey
5th-June-2007, 10:15 AM
15,000 people so far have signed the "stop-the-logo" petition :)

Change The London 2012 Logo - Online Petition (http://www.gopetition.co.uk/sign.php?petid=12539)

Stuart M
5th-June-2007, 02:25 PM
This logo does have one merit - it's the richest source of comedy seen in ages. Just a couple of comments from the Guardian blog site:

"They've obviously based the design on Picasso's 'Constipated man taking a s***', from his Crystal Meth period."

One poster said:
"It is what it is. Get over it. Worry about something really important, like why cricket is only on Sky; or why the BBC still refuse to bring back Blake's 7."
and got the following reply:
"GreenLake, get some perspective: 800,000 quid would have paid for approximately two centuries worth of Blake's 7 episodes!"

My suggestion for a logo would be Thomas the Tank Engine puffing along, with the Bisto kids leaning out of a carriage sniffing the steam. Maybe that should be the official mascot, though.

The part of me which is generous likes to think that some insanely clever inverse marketing is going on, to help make people feel involved/get people talking about the 2012 Olympics. But the initial response has been so hugely negative, I can't see how that works. Any marketing expert care to help? And if such marketing does work, maybe some dancing organisation should try something similar, like have a logo based on a move that they've banned.

whitetiger1518
5th-June-2007, 03:34 PM
Have look here for the Glasgow Commonwealth 2014 Bid Look at the Logo (http://www.glasgow2014.com/)

Sensible and Colourful - I know this probably didn't come cheap, but at least it does what you want it to do - Tells you where and when, and is recognisable as what it should be (the Armadillo building at the SECC in Glasgow :) )

Cheers

Whitetiger

Dreadful Scathe
5th-June-2007, 05:00 PM
i agree - that logo is actually quite nice :) arty and colourful but not up its self, whilst remaining pleasing to the eye (the slightly pretentious dot under the O actually looks ok)

David Franklin
5th-June-2007, 08:26 PM
You couldn't make it up...

From the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6724245.stm):

A segment of animated footage promoting the 2012 Olympic Games has been removed from the organisers' website after fears it could trigger epileptic fits.

Prof Graham Harding, who developed the test used to measure photo-sensitivity levels in TV material, said it should not be broadcast again.

Charity Epilepsy Action said it had received calls from people who had suffered fits after seeing it.I was going to make a cheap shot about, "Yeah, the taxpayers who bl**dy funded it!", but it's apparently serious:

Christopher Filmer rang BBC London 94.9FM to say he suffered a seizure while watching the footage on television and his girlfriend also suffered a fit and needed hospital treatment.

"The logo came up on TV and I was thinking about the 2012 and then I was out," he said.

Epilepsy Action said the images could affect the 23,000 people in the UK who have photosensitive epilepsy.

It said it had even triggered breakthrough seizures where people have a relapse after being seizure-free for a long time.

What a mess...

David Bailey
5th-June-2007, 08:38 PM
15,000 people so far have signed the "stop-the-logo" petition :)

Change The London 2012 Logo - Online Petition (http://www.gopetition.co.uk/sign.php?petid=12539)

28,000 now... :grin:

ducasi
5th-June-2007, 09:37 PM
Wow, based on the discussion on this thread I've only just realised that the mess of shapes is supposed to say "2012"! :what:

I thought it was meant to be a graphic of Britain and London on a pair of legs. Makes a little more sense now!!

Still truly awful though. :sick:

Freudian Hips
5th-June-2007, 09:41 PM
Wow, based on the discussion on this thread I've only just realised that the mess of shapes is supposed to say "2012"! :what:

I thought it was meant to be a graphic of Britain and London on a pair of legs. Makes a little more sense now!!

:yeah:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And I didn't get it at all!

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Dreadful Scathe
6th-June-2007, 08:18 AM

wow - it says 2012 - i honestly didn't see that. I guess I failed the psychological test :)

David Bailey
6th-June-2007, 12:39 PM
The Daily Mirror's got a great story "We can do better" (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_method=full%26objectid=19254323%26siteid=89520-name_page.html).

All of their efforts look better... :tears:

My preference is for the second one, nice and clean :clap:

Dreadful Scathe
6th-June-2007, 01:12 PM
i like the 2nd one too...wonder if they spent 100s of thousands on each one too ;)

David Bailey
6th-June-2007, 02:10 PM
i like the 2nd one too...wonder if they spent 100s of thousands on each one too ;)
10 minutes by a Mirror staffer apparently.

In fact, the more I look at the more I like it. The way it uses the natural "roundness" of many of the letters in "London" to integrate with the Olympic symbol is very smooth.

Of course, it's not "edgy", 'coz apparently London is an edgy city. Whatever that means. I'm feeling distinctly edgy myself at the moment. :rolleyes:

However, I notice that there's a "get-out" quote from a spokesman (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/6722763.stm), saying:

But a London 2012 spokesman told BBC Sport: "The emblem is flexible and will evolve over the next five years."

In other words "We'll change it once the fuss dies down".

Oh, and there's 40,625 signatures now... :grin:

Stuart M
6th-June-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh, and there's 40,625 signatures now... :grin:
In the interests of balance, and the fact that some of us taxpayers enjoy mocking this Millennium Dome Mk II, there is a petition asking for the logo to be kept (http://www.gopetition.co.uk/sign.php?petid=12556). It's a little light on signatures just now though, because they've made the tactical error of appealing to people who honestly think it's good.

Dreadful Scathe
6th-June-2007, 02:59 PM
In the interests of balance, and the fact that some of us taxpayers enjoy mocking this Millennium Dome Mk II, there is a petition asking for the logo to be kept (http://www.gopetition.co.uk/sign.php?petid=12556). It's a little light on signatures just now though, because they've made the tactical error of appealing to people who honestly think it's good.
..rather than those who think its funny to have a completely inept logo :)

David Franklin
6th-June-2007, 03:03 PM
In the interests of balance, and the fact that some of us taxpayers enjoy mocking this Millennium Dome Mk II, there is a petition asking for the logo to be kept (http://www.gopetition.co.uk/sign.php?petid=12556). It's a little light on signatures just now though, because they've made the tactical error of appealing to people who honestly think it's good.Have you, um, looked at the signatures?

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised at Lisa Simpson signing this; has the woman no shame? :rofl:

David Bailey
6th-June-2007, 03:21 PM
Have you, um, looked at the signatures?
So far, we have:

Nobby Nomates
Stevie Wonder
Ray Charles
Cheeky Monkey
Gee Dubya Bush
Vicky Pollard
Nicolas SSarkozy
Lisa Simpson
Jacques Chirac
Irma Teapot
James Galpin
Wolf Olins
Len Kivingstone
PHIL MACRACKIN
Victor Rodriguez
Christian Tate
Jessa Towell
Joseph Publican

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised at Lisa Simpson signing this; has the woman no shame? :rofl:
Typical that Chirac and Sarkozy like it though, those French are so ungracious in defeat... :rolleyes:

David Bailey
6th-June-2007, 03:27 PM
Blimey, there's another one (http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/support-the-london-2012-logo.html):

Support the new London 2012 logo and brand! It's a superb representation of the diverse and colourful society and culture we live in. It's edgy, controversial and has already caused much discussion; the perfect combination, and as the UK we like to break free from the mould and go our own way, just like this logo.

It appeals to all demographics, has a sense of 1980's graffiti art along with more modern influences, does not restrict us to a purely British branding, does not conform to prior brands and appeals to the global culture we all now live in.
This one actually has some real people, although I note Lisa's signed that one too :)

Actually, I've discovered a new game - point your browser at here (http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/change-the-london-2012-logo.html), hit the refresh button and watch the numbers zoooom up :grin:

Icey
6th-June-2007, 08:45 PM
It appeals to all demographics, has a sense of 1980's graffiti art along with more modern influences, does not restrict us to a purely British branding, does not conform to prior brands and appeals to the global culture we all now live in.

Appeals to all demographics?!???!!!? Bloody doesn't.

I think it looks like something a GCSE art student would come up with after he has spent the evening in the park with a 2 litre bottle of White Lightning and several spliffs and suddenly realises he has to hand in coursework in today. It's crap ... IMHO of course.

whitetiger1518
7th-June-2007, 01:23 PM
The Metro set a different challenge Here is their version of the 2012 logo competition (http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=51744&in_page_id=34)

One of the graphic artists at work entered - and his got shown on Tuesday's front page - rather annoyingly I can't find that article :(

Cheers
Whitetiger

onkar
7th-June-2007, 01:50 PM
How about this slightly revised version. Sums it up nicely for me.

Onkar