PDA

View Full Version : Fingertip following in class

JoC
25th-July-2005, 11:38 AM
Do you think, that if every so often there was a 'regular' weeknight class devoted to fingertip lead, there would be any significant improvement in lead and follow standards?

I don't know, just thinking aloud, in type, whilst pondering the joys of light leading and following.

LMC
25th-July-2005, 12:07 PM
I would *love* to have a class every so often where lead/follow was concentrated on, rather than new moves - not just fingertip leads, but framing/compression too.

I know you can go to workshops and intend to find one very soon! - but not everyone is prepared to cough up for these, so doing a class would 'catch' more people. Maybe one intermediate class every 8 weeks or so? Is there a venue out there brave enough?

Feelingpink
25th-July-2005, 12:23 PM
I would *love* to have a class every so often where lead/follow was concentrated on, rather than new moves - not just fingertip leads, but framing/compression too.

I know you can go to workshops and intend to find one very soon! - but not everyone is prepared to cough up for these, so doing a class would 'catch' more people. Maybe one intermediate class every 8 weeks or so? Is there a venue out there brave enough?

Come and play at Jango on Monday nights, with a lesson from Will & Kate at 8 (Kent House, Rutland Grove, Hammersmith).

JoC
25th-July-2005, 03:01 PM
Actually thinking about this some more, it's exactly the sort of thing that has come up in the extra intermediate technical classes in Perth that take place at the same time as the beginners lesson. (That I haven't made it to the last few weeks :blush: ).

So I'm lucky! :grin: - but not everywhere has this marvellous little timeslot devoted to such things...

Minnie M
25th-July-2005, 03:15 PM
.... Maybe one intermediate class every 8 weeks or so? Is there a venue out there brave enough?
:whistle: Andy McGregor does it at his Rocsters Classes :whistle:

Andy McGregor
25th-July-2005, 03:55 PM
:whistle: Andy McGregor does it at his Rocsters Classes :whistle:I've only just started to do this, probably every 5-6 weeks depending on demand. Tonight is the 2nd one. I'm doing a 2 hour workshop style evening with just 30mins freestyle. The first one was just technique, lead/follow, dancing in the slot, footwork, maintaing the frame, common bad habits, floorcraft, etc, etc. We actually had 2 complete beginner guys (who'd been dragged along by their dance addicted partners) and they coped just fine as we didn't really teach any moves at all!

Tonight will be a bit harder as we're doing Moves and Musicality. This will be 12-15 (maybe 18 if everyone learns quickly) interesting moves grouped into 3s and loads of musicality tips and practice.

The first night was well attended and everyone was keen to learn - I suppose they had to be to come to a 2 hour lesson on a Monday night! Speaking for myself, I found teaching the first night very tiring but also very rewarding as people really did change the way they dance - we've got loads of real smoothies at our classes now :clap:

MartinHarper
25th-July-2005, 05:03 PM
Only on a Modern Jive forum could we discuss whether teaching people how to lead and/or follow might somehow help them to lead and/or follow.

alex
25th-July-2005, 05:09 PM
Only on a Modern Jive forum could we discuss whether teaching people how to lead and/or follow might somehow help them to lead and/or follow.its because we dont have to discuss how to attract beginners as much

JoC
25th-July-2005, 11:51 PM
Only on a Modern Jive forum could we discuss whether teaching people how to lead and/or follow might somehow help them to lead and/or follow.
That's not quite what I was getting at but it serves me right for thinking aloud. Nay, in my vision that has now crystallised, the teacher decides one day that all moves must be fingertip led. When this takes place a shaft of light appears in the sky (ceiling) and beams down onto the single unfortunate soul who has stopped making an effort to improve (because at most there would only ever be one poor creature suffering in this way up here). Anyway the beam of light shines and the unfortunate is awakened, enters a state of rapture because suddenly they can see once more what joy a heightened awareness of lead and follow provides a path to, then begins to partake of learning once more.

This takes place in a land where I can fly and breathe underwater.

My new concern regarding light following is can you go too far? I'm starting to wonder if concentrating on light following is turning me into a wet lettuce.

Whitebeard
26th-July-2005, 12:57 AM
My new concern regarding light following is can you go too far? I'm starting to wonder if concentrating on light following is turning me into a wet lettuce.
No, I don't think so. The fingertip thing just happens now and then (with a certain partner, at a certain time, with no prior concentration) and when it does, it's just wonderful. It may be light, but it's entirely positive, and there's nothing wet lettuce about it.

MartinHarper
5th-August-2005, 09:17 AM
My new concern regarding light following is can you go too far?

If your reactions to the lead are too quick, then it can feel to the guy that you're anticipating, even though you aren't. I can't imagine it would cause a problem with more advanced dancers, but it could be disconcerting to intermediates.

David Bailey
6th-August-2005, 09:27 PM
Surely some leads have to be more strongly-led than others? I'm completely on board with the concept of fingertip-leading as an extremely useful discipline / exercise, but as a Style You Have To Use At All Times, I'd disagree. Strong leads - and I mean forceful, dramatic, inertia-changing stuff here - can have their place too.

The problem is with the muppets who use strong leads all the time, because their leads aren't clear enough - not with the concept of strong leads for certain moves or styles in itself.

Like all these things (e.g. active vs. passive following), trying to be too dogmatic about Right and Wrong ways of doing things seems to be too simplistic.

Clive Long
6th-August-2005, 09:36 PM
Surely some leads have to be more strongly-led than others? I'm completely on board with the concept of fingertip-leading as an extremely useful discipline / exercise, but as a Style You Have To Use At All Times, I'd disagree. Strong leads - and I mean forceful, dramatic, inertia-changing stuff here - can have their place too.

The problem is with the muppets who use strong leads all the time, because their leads aren't clear enough - not with the concept of strong leads for certain moves or styles in itself.

Like all these things (e.g. active vs. passive following), trying to be too dogmatic about Right and Wrong ways of doing things seems to be too simplistic.
He lives master. He lives !

How was France?

The girls been missin ya

CRL

David Bailey
7th-August-2005, 10:28 AM
He lives master. He lives !
See, there I was trying to be all serious and stuff as part of my New-back-from-holidays-Resolutions... That lasted all of 12 hours then :sad:

How was France?
Nice, thanks - lots of French people (Bretons are ultra-French sometimes...)

Rhythm King
8th-August-2005, 10:50 AM
Last week I was dancing with Catriona Wiles :drool:. Trying to think ahead I decided that the next move would be a variation of the move I was doing, which she had taught us during the week. To my surprise, she did the variation ending to the current move. Seeing I looked a little bemused, she said "well you led it!" Merely thinking about the move had produced enough change in my lead for her to pick up on it, even though I wasn't consciously doing it. Now that's fingertip response!

MartinHarper
8th-August-2005, 12:23 PM
Merely thinking about the move had produced enough change in my lead for her to pick up on it, even though I wasn't consciously doing it. Now that's fingertip response!

That's certainly very impressive following. On a lesser scale, it reminds me of one move where I was taught to look in the direction I was about to send my partner - and the act of turning my head was supposed to produce enough of a change to start leading her into the right place. Moves like that make life easier.

This sort of thing requires very precise following. I find that it becomes harder when attempting to use the ultra-light fingertip lead sometimes advocated for MJ. It seems easier with a fuller/stronger connection.

JoC
9th-August-2005, 05:55 PM
the act of turning my head was supposed to produce enough of a change to start leading her into the right place.Sort of as with horses? Interesting.

JoC
9th-August-2005, 05:58 PM
muppets
All is well again on the forum.

MartinHarper
9th-August-2005, 06:03 PM
Sort of as with horses?

Also, when women stomp on my foot, I tickle the back of their leg to get them off again.
(or something like that. It's been a long time since I rode a horse)