PDA

View Full Version : A short rant

Baruch
24th-July-2005, 02:14 PM
:angry: If there's one thing I really can't stand, it's dance partners who don't shower before a class and don't use deodorant. No, it's not an exclusively male phenomenon. Recently I've had the "pleasure" of dancing with two particular ladies rotating in the class who had really bad BO. I mean nausea-inducing BO. Why on earth can't people be more considerate of others, especially during hot summer evenings? I even resorted to ducking out of the intermediate class early on some pretence to avoid dancing with one person in particular. :angry:

Rant over.

I doubt there's much I can do about it, but it annoys me.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
24th-July-2005, 02:20 PM
:angry: If there's one thing I really can't stand, it's dance partners who don't shower before a class and don't use deodorant. No, it's not an exclusively male phenomenon. Recently I've had the "pleasure" of dancing with two particular ladies rotating in the class who had really bad BO. I mean nausea-inducing BO. Why on earth can't people be more considerate of others, especially during hot summer evenings? I even resorted to ducking out of the intermediate class early on some pretence to avoid dancing with one person in particular. :angry:

Rant over.

I doubt there's much I can do about it, but it annoys me.

well, some people perhaps don't have time to shower before classes, I know of one woman who comes to class straight from work. They perhaps want to shower, but don't have the option. Also, some people have BO, but can't do much about it, and probably find it quite it embarrassing. So, I wouldn't be too hard on them, but do agree that it can be extremely annoying, especially when it is very overpowering and makes you feel kinda sick :sick:

Don't really know if there is anything you can do either, sorry

Ash x :flower:

LMC
24th-July-2005, 02:26 PM
well, some people perhaps don't have time to shower before classes, I know of one woman who comes to class straight from work. They perhaps want to shower, but don't have the option. Also, some people have BO, but can't do much about it, and probably find it quite it embarrassing. So, I wouldn't be too hard on them, but do agree that it can be extremely annoying, especially when it is very overpowering and makes you feel kinda sick :sick:

Ash x :flower:

Hmm, I'm not convinced that the 'straight from work' excuse holds. We all sweat, especially this time of year - but if you have showered that day, then it shouldn't be *that* bad. Even if it is, then try some baby wipes, some deodorant and a clean shirt.

One thing I have noticed on London Underground is that some men in suits stink - not because they haven't showered, but because their suit hasn't been drycleaned within living memory *looks for vomit icon... darn* - this will have to do - \_/

So it could be that their clothes are not as clean/aired as they could be. Not that that's an excuse, but could be a reason.

The only thing you can do is bite the bullet and tell them. No, I wouldn't either.

SilverFox
24th-July-2005, 02:32 PM

Ash x :flower:Now I've heard it all.

If they come straight from work, perhaps it wouldn't be too much effort if they could walk into a toilet somewhere and wash, deodorise and change. Not exactly rocket science, just expected behaviour of someone who gives a damn about anyone else.

If they have a medical problem with it then they should take all the necessary steps to alleviate the problem, not just turn up and expect the rest of us to start gagging. :mad:

Stinking at a public dance is totally unacceptable. :angry:

Zebra Woman
24th-July-2005, 02:46 PM
Now I've heard it all.

If they come straight from work, perhaps it wouldn't be too much effort if they could walk into a toilet somewhere and wash, deodorise and change. Not exactly rocket science, just expected behaviour of someone who gives a damn about anyone else.

If they have a medical problem with it then they should take all the necessary steps to alleviate the problem, not just turn up and expect the rest of us to start gagging. :mad:

Stinking at a public dance is totally unacceptable. :angry:

:yeah:

Apart from only being able to take a breath when I'm at arms length. The thing I hate it most when their smelly sweat gets transferred onto me!! :eek: :eek: :eek: That is so gross. I feel repulsed and I end up smelling of them for the rest of the evening, BO is a stonger smell than any perfume I posses :tears:

Clean sweat is fine so long as its not flying off the man and landing on me.

ChrisA
24th-July-2005, 03:06 PM
Ooh goody (not), another "stinkers" thread ... :devil:

Tell them !!!!!!!

(and yes, I have done !!)

If they give a damn, they will be horrified, but will do something about it - cos you can be sure they will be unaware of it.

If they don't give a damn, you'll soon know, and why be concerned about their feelings in that case??? :confused:

Once again we suffer from the "ooh I prefer suffering terribly, and then letting off steam on the forum, rather than mentioning it at the time" syndrome.

Seriously... if you stank to high heaven, would you rather have the short term embarrassment of being told up front, or would you prefer the wrist-slashingly dreadful mortification of discovering, six months down the line, that the reason no one seems to like dancing with you is because you pong, and they've all been talking about you behind your back, at lots of venues, for months and months and months??????

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
24th-July-2005, 03:09 PM
Now I've heard it all.

If they have a medical problem with it then they should take all the necessary steps to alleviate the problem, not just turn up and expect the rest of us to start gagging.

Stinking at a public dance is totally unacceptable.

There is no need to be rude, I didn't say ALL of them have medical problems :mad: And if they don't want to shower, what can we do about it? Maybe we should all stop whingeing and either tell them they stink, or don't dance with them, you decide. I'm only saying that some of them might be really embarrased about it, but can't stop the smell completely.

Apart from only being able to take a breath when I'm at arms length. The thing I hate it most when their smelly sweat gets transferred onto me!! :eek: :eek: :eek: That is so gross. I feel repulsed and I end up smelling of them for the rest of the evening, BO is a stonger smell than any perfume I posses :tears:

Clean sweat is fine so long as its not flying off the man and landing on me.

Suppose it's hard for me to comment as I don't think i've never danced with anyone with really bad BO before, no smelly guys up here in Glasgow :clap:

SilverFox
24th-July-2005, 03:47 PM
There is no need to be rude, : Rude? No. Exasperated by the feeble and woolly excuses you offered to defend this sort of selfish behaviour. Yes.

I didn't say ALL of them have medical problems :madNor did I. If you care to re-read my post you'll see I covered BOTH of the excuses that you offered.

I totally agree with ChrisA on this subject. Tell them.

I have always told people that I know or work with if a personal hygiene issue is affecting others. I have also told 2 women that I have danced with. (Not BO in those instances, but soaking themselves in cheap perfume :sick: and stinking of cigarette smoke :mad: )

Unfortunately there is even one forumite who stinks to high heaven of BO. I can smell this individual from over 10 yards. (No, I'm not joking :sad: ) It amazes me that no one who has danced with this person has informed them. A standard excuse being 'If I dance with them early enough in the evening, it's bearable'. :what: :what:

Jive Brummie
24th-July-2005, 04:02 PM
It's just as easy for the teacher to say something during the class.

If for example you're doing a comb type move or an hallelujah ( :sick: ) you have the exact time there and then to mention something about personal hygiene.

It doesn't need to be embarrasing or specific to an individual or anything like that...just a general chit chat about stinky pit's and/or breath!

Have given this little chat a few times during lessons. It normally raises a giggle but in all honesty, we don't have many stinkers up here!

J x x

Minnie M
24th-July-2005, 04:25 PM
I agree with EVERYTHING above - being only 5'3" I come right under most lead's armpits :sick: and although I am guilty of not saying anything at the time I am sure my green face is a dead give-a-away.

These bad smells (be it breath, BO or just smelly clothes) will continue unless we say something at the time, Chris is absolutely right - BUT - once said you will (possibly) ruin the night for that person. I have only ever told one person about their bad hygiene and he was quite thankful, however he was a stranger so I was not too bothered if I had upset him.

I think the answer is the teacher saying something before the class at least once a week, Graham LeClerc (in Brighton) used to, and I think there was a class can of deoderant as well as the pepermints on the door (the old days. :innocent: .......)

Clive Long
24th-July-2005, 04:58 PM
I suffer (sometimes) from bad breath. I can do something(s) to make it less objectionable to people around me. I often forget or am too lazy to do these oral hygiene things (and yes I know, that bad breath isn't always down to poor oral hygiene).

I would rather be told than to inflict my pong on someone else.

So if I have a nasty niff - tell me.

As has been written already - if someone is too insensitive or selfish to accept being told they pong - then they are too selfish to be danced with. Harsh. Probably brutal for those who can't do anything about it.

I don't know if there are people who just stink - no matter what personal hygiene routine they have. It would be terrible to be in that situation - and you would probably know all about it and be a recluse.

So I say, assume the person doesn't know (or doesn't care) and needs to be told, sensitively.

Clive

Dazzle
24th-July-2005, 05:08 PM
I always try to give the deodorant, change of clothes and towel talk during a class night when the weather gets warmer and ALWAYS in Beginner Workshops :innocent: ! Unluckily, I always seem to get dancers that come up to me and say no one will dance with them and I have to, as politely as I can, explain the reason. Talk about firing someone elses bullets! :tears:

BO in general tends to be as a result of old sweat, either on the body or the clothing is not clean, or things we have eaten sometimes too. I see guys creating Ozone depleting clouds of Deodorant spraying over the top of old sweat and it just doesn't work! :mad: Changing into a T-shirt you wore last week that has languished in your bag since then is no good either guys!

It's not just guys though either. Some ladies have problems too. One more than one occasion I have had to decline a dance while I go and wipe a ladies ineffective deodorant off my upper arm(s) for fear that my next dance partner might suspect the odour to be me! :eek:

Washing hands is another pet hate but I will leave that for another day. Save to mention a LADY who once said "Wearing gloves is great! You don't have to wash your hands!" :eek:

ChrisA
24th-July-2005, 05:58 PM
It's just as easy for the teacher to say something during the class.

If for example you're doing a comb type move or an hallelujah ( :sick: ) you have the exact time there and then to mention something about personal hygiene.

It doesn't need to be embarrasing or specific to an individual or anything like that...just a general chit chat about stinky pit's and/or breath!

Have given this little chat a few times during lessons. It normally raises a giggle but in all honesty, we don't have many stinkers up here!

J x x
It's a nice idea to mention this in a class, of course, as is not yanking, not perving...

But unfortunately, it's a complete waste of time. :tears:

Because, as we've said many times before, the yankers and stinkers aren't doing it deliberately, and almost certainly aren't aware of it.

So they're probably there in the class, agreeing with you totally, probably even thinking negatively of the stinkers they've come across themselves...

... the very last thing any of them think is "ooh yes, I bet that's me he's talking about".

We need some reality here, so I'll say it again:

They don't do it deliberately; they're unaware of it; they need to be told if you want to change the situation.

ChrisA
24th-July-2005, 06:06 PM
But unfortunately, it's a complete waste of time
... What might not be a waste of time, though, and what I do as often as I can in the review classes I do, is tell people that if their partners hurt them, then tell them.

Slightly different, but it gives people licence, at least in the less touchy area of undue force, to pipe up and say that something hurt.

Minnie M
24th-July-2005, 06:14 PM
Washing hands is another pet hate ......
Whilst we are 'ranting' ............

Smokers (are you listening Andy) - although we send them outside to smoke, they never seem to wash there hands when returning back to the dance floor and their hands are reeking of smoke/nicotine etc. yuck.....

The other 'washing hands' debate is more difficult to police :whistle:

Jive Brummie
24th-July-2005, 06:20 PM
Whilst we are 'ranting' ............

Smokers (are you listening Andy) - although we send them outside to smoke, they never seem to wash there hands when returning back to the dance floor and their hands are reeking of smoke/nicotine etc. yuck.....

The other 'washing hands' debate is more difficult to police :whistle:

I can totally relate to this. Smoking is a nono to me anyway and it's good that people go outside to have a tab but for god's sake have a wash afterwards, spray on the aftershave/perfume, chew gum, brush teeth...but please don't breath smokey breath over me....ta!

Jeekers that was a bit of a rant...sorry

J x x

Jive Brummie
24th-July-2005, 06:23 PM
Back to the stinkers...

I think one has to tread very carefully telling somebody that they may need to 'freshen up' and without sounding sexist, i'd hate to have to mention it to a lady, hence my hygiene chat during a lesson.

We had a bloke at work once who could stink-out an office within 5 minutes of being in there. The result...a senior member of the team told him...he ignored the 'advice' and continued to reek until he retired!

Boy did he stink! :sick:

J

Minnie M
24th-July-2005, 06:28 PM
.....We had a bloke at work once who could stink-out an office within 5 minutes of being in there. The result...a senior member of the team told him..
We had one of those too :sick: being a 'senior member of staff/mother figure' I was selected to tell me :what: RESULT he was absolutely fine after that :clap: BUT had major rows with his wife.... he said he didn't realise how much she smelt :rofl:

Little Monkey
24th-July-2005, 06:44 PM
I know a person who used to have very bad BO. She's even been told at work, but ignored it. Not many people wanted to dance with her, because of the smell. In the end - as nobody else had the guts to tell her, and it really was very bad - I wrote her a letter, and said that as a friend I cared about her, and didn't want her to hear about this through nasty rumours or overhear people talking about her behind her back etc. I also gave her some advice on personal hygiene, about washing before dancing, using deodorant and clean clothes and other general advice....

She thanked me profusely for the letter, and has since always made an effort to shower and put on clean clothes before going dancing or going out with friends. She's much more pleasant to be around now, and even comes across as being more confident!

Unfortunately there are still a couple of people at our venue who smell bad, but I don't know them, and don't feel that I can go up to them and say "excuse me, but you stink!". One guy I have actually refused to dance with, because he was soaked through with sweat, and stinking! I said in a cheerful way that I'd dance with him once he'd freshened up and put on a clean shirt, but I don't think he took the advice seriously, and still pongs. He's apparently known to smell very bad at work, too.

My advice is - if you know the person who's offending your nose by ponging, tell them! They might really appreciate your advice! :nice:

LM

PS - James and Franck are both very good at pointing out that personal hygiene/ showering and changing before class is very important, and often incorporate a wee "hygiene pep-talk" during class (like James said, often when teaching close moves, combs etc). Thanks guys!

ChrisA
24th-July-2005, 07:26 PM
She's even been told at work, but ignored it.

In the end ... I wrote her a letter

She thanked me profusely for the letter...
I think this is a really important point... sometimes the point just doesn't get across. Some people have defenses so thick that a "jokey" or otherwise light-hearted comment simply won't get through to them.

It has to be serious as well as sensitive, to get their attention.

ChrisA
24th-July-2005, 07:30 PM
i'd hate to have to mention it to a lady
Agreed. But I'd still do it if there was no mutual female friend I could cajole into doing it for me.

, hence my hygiene chat during a lesson.

Er, see my comment above, James.

An admirable intention, but if they don't know about it already, it's a pointless effort.

Feedback like this simply does not get through just by subtle, light-hearted, oblique comments.

It has to be direct. It ain't easy, but there it is.

MartinHarper
24th-July-2005, 08:40 PM
I go dancing straight from work, on occasion, or straight from band practice. As Ash points out, this means that on those nights it's difficult to shower before dancing. I do try to take a change of top. I remain unconvinced that trying to wash myself in a male public toilet is going to improve my smell - urine and disinfectant is hardly Chanel °5.

----

Some folks were born with more sweat/oil/pheremone glands than others. I do not require them to have extensive surgery before dancing with me. Maybe that will change if I become a better dancer.

JoC
24th-July-2005, 09:26 PM
Lot of public leisure pools let you in for a shower only for a modest fee, can be handy if there's one nearby and going straight from work. I've done this on several occasions when I've gone dancing straight after work and don't want to impose on friends in town again. It's not going to work for everyone but worth bearing in mind as an option. :grin:

Even better if as part of the shower deal there's also a sauna, pool, steam room, spa pool, male masseurs clad in very tiny shorts and all oile...oops! :blush:

Lory
24th-July-2005, 10:14 PM
I remain unconvinced that trying to wash myself in a male public toilet is going to improve my smell - urine and disinfectant is hardly Chanel °5.

:yeah: I'd try using the sink next time Martin! :wink: :whistle:

LMC
24th-July-2005, 10:21 PM
:yeah: I'd try using the sink next time Martin! :wink: :whistle:
:rofl:

Point taken on public loos, but I would hope that the WC/washing facilities at the venue were cleaner and therefore adequate.

Baruch
24th-July-2005, 11:21 PM
Maybe we should all stop whingeing and either tell them they stink, or don't dance with them, you decide.
Certainly you can refuse to dance with them in freestyle, but it's much harder to do that when they're rotating in class. Unless, of course, you do what I did last week and duck out of the class early - I had danced with her twice in rotation, and she was coming up to me again. I couldn't face another turn (she was so bad, I had to hold my breath except when stepping back because the smell made me feel sick) so I made an excuse and finished the class early. That way I ended up missing out, though.

I think one has to tread very carefully telling somebody that they may need to 'freshen up' and without sounding sexist, i'd hate to have to mention it to a lady, hence my hygiene chat during a lesson.
This is my problem. If it was someone I knew it might be easier to tell them they stink. It's doubly difficult when it's not a friend and it is a lady. For all the people saying "tell them", not all of us find that easy. Social conditioning and all that.

SilverFox
24th-July-2005, 11:23 PM
:yeah: I'd try using the sink next time Martin! :wink: :whistle:Doh! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ChrisA
24th-July-2005, 11:30 PM
For all the people saying "tell them", not all of us find that easy. Social conditioning and all that.
Nobody said it was easy. It's not easy, at least not the first time.

It took me until the third occasion before I could find the balls to do it.

But the alternative is to do nothing, and leave these poor people wondering why people are a bit funny around them (you think they can't tell??).

Well if that's your preference, fine. Just stop complaining behind people's backs, in that case, that's all.

As soon as you choose to do/say nothing, IMO you forfeit your right to whinge about it behind their backs.

Baruch
25th-July-2005, 02:26 AM
Well if that's your preference, fine. Just stop complaining behind people's backs, in that case, that's all.
When exactly did complaining become illegal???

As soon as you choose to do/say nothing, IMO you forfeit your right to whinge about it behind their backs.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree.

Hats off to you for having the balls to tell a smelly person what the problem was, but it's not always as simple as choosing to say something or not to say something. In some cases it's just inappropriate to say something. If it was a friend of mine that I could take to one side and explain the problem, that would be different. They would know I had their best interests at heart. Someone I don't know is a very different matter. They could take it as a personal attack or be hurt, which is the last thing I would want to do. The confrontational approach doesn't work with everyone.

Not that I have any alternative ideas, it's true, but your solution to the problem isn't one that appeals.

ChrisA
25th-July-2005, 09:27 AM
When exactly did complaining become illegal???

My point is this:

IMO it is MUCH nastier to gossip about people to others about their BO than it is to be straight with them to their face.

People take the moral high ground and talk about how awful it is when people stink on the dance floor, and there's a thread just like this one on here every few months, where people wring their hands and talk about how awful it all is.

But it achieves nothing - we're mostly preaching to the converted here, and if what Vince says is true and there's a forumite that smells bad at dancing, that person must be blissfully unaware of the problem, since the British "say nothing, pretend everything's all right" attitude just sweeps everything under the carpet.

In some cases it's just inappropriate to say something.

Exactly what is it that you think makes it inappropriate to say something?

I can understand that there's a big confidence barrier to get over, before being able to say something - I found it very difficult when I said something to a guy - but what's inappropriate is the infliction of foul smells on others, not bringing it to their attention.

They could take it as a personal attack

Well they could... and if you feel there's a risk of violence, obviously your personal safety should come first. I made sure I had an escape route just in case things turned nasty - but most people at dancing are decent enough, and if you phrase things sensitively I think the risk is small. I'm not suggesting an aggressive "you stink, mate" type of approach, naturally :rofl:

or be hurt, which is the last thing I would want to do.

Well answer my earlier question, then...

if you stank to high heaven, would you rather have the short term embarrassment of being told up front, or would you prefer the wrist-slashingly dreadful mortification of discovering, six months down the line, that the reason no one seems to like dancing with you is because you pong, and they've all been talking about you behind your back, at lots of venues, for months and months and months??????

If you're really interested in not hurting someone, I would suggest that it's kinder and less hurtful to tell them what the problem is, cos then they can do something about it.

Not that I have any alternative ideas, it's true, but your solution to the problem isn't one that appeals.
It doesn't appeal to me either.

But I still think it's the right one.

Lory
25th-July-2005, 09:28 AM
There's some people I wouldn't hesitate to tell but they're probably people, who more than anything know 'ME' really well and know i'd be saying it out of genuine affection and empathy for them, not wanting other people to think badly of them. :hug:

A well known forumite once asked me, please tell me straight, am I'm getting a bit wiffy (he wasn't) but he then went onto ask, if ever you think I am, would you please tell me, cos I might not realise it myself.
This was ages ago but ever since i've taken it upon my self to very discretely make sure, as I feel i'd be letting him down if I didn't. ;)

Maybe we should all empower a few designated people we trust to be honest with us. Preferably people we dance with a lot. It makes it so much easier once you've been given specific permission. :nice:

Maybe the teachers should suggest that each person gets themselves a BO detection buddy. :waycool:

LMC
25th-July-2005, 10:04 AM
<snip loads of stuff that I agree with>

It doesn't appeal to me either.

But I still think it's the right one.

There is no other solution really. Hopefully my frustration with my own hypocrisy might overtake the embarrassment factor sometime soon. I should imagine that the first time of telling someone is the hardest - I've never done it and can't say that I face the prospect of having to do it with any enthusiasm.

Maybe the teachers should suggest that each person gets themselves a BO detection buddy. :waycool:
:rofl:

Perhaps the DJ should a five minutes time-out about half-way through the evening for everyone to find their BODB for a 'check'. Why am I having visions of monkeys combing each other for fleas? :what: :sick:

El Salsero Gringo
25th-July-2005, 10:19 AM
ChrisA is quite correct.

In some cases it's just inappropriate to say something.In which case it is also *totally* inappropriate to come and 'rant' (your choice of words) about it on a public forum.

I feel quite sick myself that you choose to mention two 'in particular' as being 'nauseating' - but don't have the balls to either keep quiet about it or mention the problem to them yourself. As it is, you've now got every woman who dances in Wales wondering if it's she you're slagging off.

What do you want from the people on this forum? Sympathy? Absolution? I don't get it. Do you want us all to tell you that you're right and she's wrong? Does that make them smell less?

They could take it as a personal attack or be hurt, which is the last thing I would want to do.And how, exactly, are they going to take what you've said about them here?
Not that I have any alternative ideas, it's true, but your solution to the problem isn't one that appeals.So sorry it doesn't suit you - but it's the best way to deal with it. Grow some courage, and get on with it.

Little Monkey
25th-July-2005, 10:22 AM
Nobody said it was easy. It's not easy, at least not the first time.

It took me until the third occasion before I could find the balls to do it.

Ummmm..... It took me about a year....... :blush: But she was getting increasingly smelly, so I had to do something about it! And it wasn't easy at all! I felt awful! But it worked!!! :clap:

LM

Baruch
25th-July-2005, 12:00 PM
IMO it is MUCH nastier to gossip about people to others about their BO than it is to be straight with them to their face.
Agreed. And if I was talking about specific people in such a way that they could be identified, then that would qualify as gossip. However, I'm not, so IMO it isn't gossip.

Baruch
25th-July-2005, 12:05 PM
What do you want from the people on this forum? Sympathy? Absolution? I don't get it. Do you want us all to tell you that you're right and she's wrong? Does that make them smell less?
I don't want anything from the people on this forum. All I wanted to do was to vent. How people respond or don't respond is up to them. I made sure I didn't identify anyone. If you don't like what I post, that's up to you.

animaltalk
25th-July-2005, 01:21 PM
On a slightly more light hearted angle. I work with as a vet mainly with dogs and cats, but one of my female friends works with pigs and used to salsa dance a lot.

I know she showered and washed a lot before dancing, to try and the remove the smell, but as soon as she spun, up went her hair and

Eau d'Oink wafted gently past your nose. :sick:

And in the summer as she gently glowed . . . Oh dear . . . some smells just get in those pores and won't stay there - and you could nearly see the pigs themselves :nice:

El Salsero Gringo
25th-July-2005, 01:58 PM
I made sure I didn't identify anyone.I think that's the worst thing about it. It's cowardly.

If you don't like what I post, that's up to you.Agreed.

Baruch
25th-July-2005, 02:14 PM
I think that's the worst thing about it. It's cowardly.
Not at all. Now if I had identified them and was gossiping about them on this forum, that would have been cowardly.

JoC
25th-July-2005, 02:21 PM
It's funny when you read some posts whilst looking at the corresponding avatar, especially when that's the only 'face' you have to go on...and perhaps imagine the voice that goes with the avatar saying what's written in the post...

I am easily amused sometimes...

El Salsero Gringo
25th-July-2005, 02:35 PM
Not at all. Now if I had identified them and was gossiping about them on this forum, that would have been cowardly.You mean as long as you don't identify the individual, you bitch as loud as you like? I disagree. To complain about someone behind their back - whether you say who it is or not - is poor behaviour. Rant about smelly women in general, and no harm done. But as soon as you say you're thinking of two individuals it's different. At least if you say who it is then they can do something about it. All you've done this way is cast aspertions on the personal hygiene of every woman in Wales.

The only upright thing to do is to mention it to the women concerned - or not to mention it at all.

Dreadful Scathe
25th-July-2005, 05:15 PM
It's funny when you read some posts whilst looking at the corresponding avatar, especially when that's the only 'face' you have to go on...and perhaps imagine the voice that goes with the avatar saying what's written in the post...

Indeed. El Salsa Gringero sounds like Eddie Murphy, Lou sounds like Morticia Addams (the original) , David James sounds like a South Park character and Ceroc Jock is a squeeky 10 year old boy :)

Dreadful Scathe
25th-July-2005, 05:21 PM
.as for odor, we all know Ceroc is purely a singles club and I think more people should smell because of that... see here (http://economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=4149493)

:) ;)

Lucy Locket
25th-July-2005, 06:41 PM
We do mention hygiene a lot during the summer in Leicester & it's aimed at both men & women. It's mentioned at the end of each class. Seems to do the trick.

As pointed out when doing the comb or any other such 'close' move it's another opportunity for the teacher to mention deodorising.

I know a lot of the smokers this end chew gum after having a cigarette, it doesn't get rid of the smell but at least it shows respect.

As for going straight from work, i've done it & i know of quite a few people who come to Leicester from work. No excuse, go & change in the toilets & freshen up, wash bag, deodorant, toothbrush. Sorry but anyone who can't do that & prefers to pong isn't worth dancing with.

:flower:

El Salsero Gringo
25th-July-2005, 06:49 PM
Sorry but anyone who can't do that & prefers to pong isn't worth dancing with.

:flower:The problem is, that people are generally unable to detect their own body odours, so they may well not know. That's why they have to be told. One to one. It's not a question of "prefering to pong."

Likewise with bad breath.

Baruch
25th-July-2005, 07:12 PM
I am easily amused sometimes...
Indeed, Penfold! :grin: