PDA

View Full Version : The Whingers Corner - For all those feeling blue or hard-done-by

Anna
22nd-July-2005, 10:57 PM
Just thought there should be a place where i can moan and not get told off for being petty and depressing :whistle: ...

my dance partner is retiring to go have weddings and babies and so now im all on my lonesome and wondering how i will ever cope without him :sad: i think he may have intended for this co-dependency to occur so someone appreciates him a little more in his old age.. :whistle:

and and and.. i had a really AWFUL night last night (dance partner break up + he'd hurt his neck so we couldnt even dance then as like a proper goodbyeee) and then it got worse when my 2nd choice for a new partner agreed to dance with this girl whom i passionately dislike :mad: thirty seconds before i walked over and asked if he wanted to compete with me... yes, that one really is a punch in the stomach. :(

but its okay..

after much pathetic snivelling in the car on the way back to hamilton last night and half a tub of chocolate icecream,

i have.. a PLAN :waycool:

ps total overuse of the smilies i know, but this is smilie friendly territory! :flower:

Anna
23rd-July-2005, 12:37 AM
Oh, i just thought of something else to b*tch about.. (its really not my day is it? apologies for this bunny being slightly spikey rather than fuzzy)..

WHY does MJ seem to have such an emphasis on the women showing off their midriffs? Is this some kind of conspiracy against all the women out there who dont exist on a diet of carrots ? (much like the aforementioned bunnies.. :whistle: )

it seems to me that we are perhaps developing a sort of uniform to define us against the other styles.. ie, Ballroom = puffy frocks with fluff around the bottom, Latin = lycra in frightening colours and too much fake tan, Modern Jive = lots and lots of midriff ??

Does that mean that the MJ uniform is only limited to the young, toned and daring? Could we please just have tshirts that say 'I <3 MJ' on them ?!?

But what i find most amusing, is that at a post champs dance party when i attempted to conform to the potential MJ uniform by displaying my middle and showing that i really was a committed and trendy Ceroc-er.. i had a franchise owner (not the owner of the one i was at) give me a telling off afterwards for showing too much skin!! What a strange and ponderous world we live in.. :confused:

MartinHarper
23rd-July-2005, 12:44 AM
WHY does MJ seem to have such an emphasis on the women showing off their midriffs?

Well it beats funeral gear (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3267)...

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-July-2005, 12:49 AM
What a great thread. Here I am, having watched Titanic and feeling all tearful and now I know I am not alone. Excuse me while I go and have a (little) snivel into my pillow. I might be forced to put the Katie Melhua on too.

<sigh>

Isn't the Forum just a wonderful place?

LMC
23rd-July-2005, 11:27 AM
Blimey, and I thought *I* was depressed

Yippee, I can go to the singletons sofa and have another whine with a clear conscience

< /sarcasm mode >

Lou
23rd-July-2005, 12:05 PM
Well it beats funeral gear (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3267)...
Ach! Bugger off, Martin. :na:

I like Anna's t-shirt idea. Can I have it in black, please?

Anna
24th-July-2005, 04:42 AM
Of course, monogram in orange of course?

Purple Sparkler
25th-July-2005, 02:18 PM
I felt very blue on Saturday night, it has to be said. OK, had some great dances (thanks to various forumites, mainly) but I requested a song on the forum beforehand.

Could I find a partner to dance to it with? No, I couldn't. As with pretty much every f***ing time I ask for a song, or a favourite song comes on, the men seemed to vanish. Went up to ask someone, and their partner asked if he wanted to keep going just as I came up. They were on the dancefloor. I had the shame of having to pretend I hadn't been coming straight up for a dance and walking past them. It's a stupid thing to get upset about, but I'd been feeling low anyway, had really really wanted to dance to that song, and actually found myself teary. I guess it felt like one more thing on top of the off-dancefloor singleness and other issues. :(

Didn't help any that I thought the last song was being played at HMS President and left, only to hear the strains of one of my complete utter favourites ('Do You Love Me' by the Contours) floating out of the windows as I walked out onto the street. Missed again! :mad:

Sparkles
25th-July-2005, 02:34 PM
but its okay..

i have.. a PLAN :waycool:

So...?
What's the plan?
:hug:
S. x

Damien
25th-July-2005, 03:10 PM
Know how you all feel. :sad: My partner went out to a Salsa venue in Manchester on Friday with a friend. She's a fantastic salsa dancer and I knew she'd have a fantastic time with all the great salsa dancers.

There was no MJ on anywhere in the area so I sat in all night watching rubbish TV sulking. My solution - I'm determined to learn Salsa - hopefully it will add something my MJ. Going to a beginners class tonight. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Purple Sparkler, if your ever in the north west and your fav track comes on let me know. :)

Minnie M
25th-July-2005, 03:28 PM
I felt very blue on Saturday night, it has to be said. OK, had some great dances ...
:yeah: me too ........... don't actually know why either :confused: some (in fact lots of) great dancers there but I couldn't really do them justice, just couldn't get into it :sad: must be my bio-Rhythms or just my hormones :whistle: or just one of those nights when it DOESN'T come together and there were such lovely people there, I really hate myself when I'm like that :tears:

Apologies to all who saw my moaning miserable face - I did get better towards the end of the evening though :D

Cruella
25th-July-2005, 04:54 PM
I felt very blue on Saturday night, it has to be said. OK, had some great dances (thanks to various forumites, mainly) but I requested a song on the forum beforehand.

Could I find a partner to dance to it with? No, I couldn't. As with pretty much every f***ing time I ask for a song, or a favourite song comes on, the men seemed to vanish. Went up to ask someone, and their partner asked if he wanted to keep going just as I came up. They were on the dancefloor. I had the shame of having to pretend I hadn't been coming straight up for a dance and walking past them. It's a stupid thing to get upset about, but I'd been feeling low anyway, had really really wanted to dance to that song, and actually found myself teary. I guess it felt like one more thing on top of the off-dancefloor singleness and other issues. :(

Didn't help any that I thought the last song was being played at HMS President and left, only to hear the strains of one of my complete utter favourites ('Do You Love Me' by the Contours) floating out of the windows as I walked out onto the street. Missed again! :mad:

With legs like yours on show, i'm surprised the men allowed you to miss any dances!! You should of asked me for a dance, i know i'm not a man, but i can lead as well as follow. Minnie turned me down for a dance though :tears: sorry you weren't feeling your usually happy self Lynda, you should of asked for a Cruella hug. :hug:

Purple Sparkler
25th-July-2005, 05:04 PM
With legs like yours on show, i'm surprised the men allowed you to miss any dances!!

Yes, I was quite surprised as well... didn't get the dances. I did, however, get helpful comments such as (from a particular forumite who knows who he is) "Did you know someone's stolen your dress?"

You should of asked me for a dance, i know i'm not a man, but i can lead as well as follow.

I'll rectify the mistake next time! Always happy to dance with girls- indeed, Sparkles is a better lead than half the men I dance with!

Minnie turned me down for a dance though :tears:

Shocking. Quite shocking.

sorry you weren't feeling your usually happy self Lynda, you should of asked for a Cruella hug. :hug:

*assumes Lynda=Minnie as PS herself is not in fact called Lynda...*

Cruella
25th-July-2005, 05:16 PM
*assumes Lynda=Minnie as PS herself is not in fact called Lynda...*
Yes sorry, never was very good at english!! You could of had a Cruella hug too!

ChrisA
25th-July-2005, 06:20 PM
Yes, I was quite surprised as well... didn't get the dances.
You never asked me :waycool:

Sparkles is a better lead than half the men I dance with!
And although Sparkles is indeed excellent, you're obviously dancing with the wrong half :rofl:

Minnie M
25th-July-2005, 07:54 PM
...... Minnie turned me down for a dance though :tears: sorry you weren't feeling your usually happy self Lynda, you should of asked for a Cruella hug. :hug:
Really sorry, should have asked for a hug instead, was feeling very blue you ARE a good lead, but I was a cr@p follower on Saturday - which didn't help the mood :tears: I didn't feel worthy to dance with decent dancers because I was just not with it

Strangest thing though. I went home (well started to) just after that refusal, got a couple of miles down the road and realised I left my jacket behind. Turned the car around and came back, met an old friend in the car park who gave me a big hug (which was really lovely) came into the hall to hear a great track and suddenly my spirits lifted and didn't feel as bad - in fact I stayed till the end :clap:

Anna
26th-July-2005, 08:15 AM
So...?
What's the plan?
:hug:
S. x

ah yes, the much awaited plan.. :D

well i had a short term version which was : turn up to the counties-manukau ceroc danceparty last wknd, dance my bestest and then ask one of the hotshots straight out if they wanted a partner, straight down to business..

however i did realise that was probably not the best idea. :rofl:

and so once im consistently in the Lorne St (ceroc NZ headquarters) scene, hopefully it will just come to me.. :waycool:

Sparkles
26th-July-2005, 09:24 AM
I tried that once - asked one of the best male dancers I know if he wanted a dancing partner (actually I phrased it more like "I think you're a lovely dancer and if you ever wanted to do any competitions I'd really like to be your partner") - but unfortunately I was too late and he'd already found a partner :sad:.

I hope you have better luck, Anna, I'm sure you will :flower:.
S. x

Anna
26th-July-2005, 09:49 AM
Awww.. thanks :) ..

- i <3 the Whingers Corner :D

Purple Sparkler
26th-July-2005, 10:05 AM
You never asked me :waycool:

People kept telling me you were there and I never quite worked out which one you were!

Zebra Woman
26th-July-2005, 11:23 AM
People kept telling me you were there and I never quite worked out which one you were!

He was the one in black of course :waycool:

:whistle:

ZW :flower:

Lou
26th-July-2005, 01:40 PM
A Rant.

(Warning - this isn't for the faint hearted. I'm not a happy bunny. And it's not about dancing, but this is a place where one can rant, thanks to Anna's thoughtful posting :flower: )

Some of you may know how hard I am trying not to have to work in Swindon. To get to my hellhole of an office every morning, I have to dodge the syringe wielding junkies, bucky brandishing winos, and shifty looking thieves who line my path. That's also whilst simulataneously holding my nose to avoid the all pervading smell of urine which characterises this wretched town. (Haha. They want to be a city, but somehow the Royal warrant never comes their way - even Newport is a city these days!)

Anyway - to achieve this worthy aim of not working in Swindon, I have been applying for the odd job here and there. I'm extremely fussy, so good roles are few and far between. However, I did line up a pretty good interview for last week. Unfortunately, at 5pm the evening before my interview (scheduled for 9:30 next morning), I received a phone message from the agency, through which the interview had been arranged. It was neccessary to postpone the interview because this agency had not yet negotiated recruitment terms with the hiring company.

I was mildly annoyed, but, hey, these things happen. And it was only postponed, right? Mildly annoyed, anyway, until this morning. I saw the very same job being advertised through a different employment agency. So, I phoned my hapless agent. (Phoned him, mind you. He wasn't going to make the effort to phone me himself). Oh. They'd neglected to fix terms with the company before sending through CVs. And they failed to come to any agreement.

So.... this leaves me in the situation where:

There's a lovely and rare job in the beautiful fabled golden City of Bristol.
The company like my CV & think I'd be worth interviewing for the role.
However, they aren't allowed to interview me because the agency that mucked up the contract would sue them if they were to contact me. And I can't apply through any other agency.

But that's OK. Because the agent doesn't have to work in bloody Swindon. :rolleyes:

Andreas
26th-July-2005, 01:55 PM
Aww, poor girly :flower:

I have no doubt you will find somebody at last. If not, just train somebody up ;) Otherwise, totally fixating at one person may not actually be the best you can do. Sure, immediate improvement will progress at a higher rate. But in the long term you lose a lot of the ability to dance with 'whoever is next'.

For the time being, re-focus your practice approach to a field that can be practiced with virtually anybody around, like following, music and working in with the partner, dancing at their level, footwork, lines, spins, little twiddly bit etc.. Looking back at my last sentence, I don't think you'll run out of work anytime soon :whistle:

Take it easy sunshine, a lost dance partner is not the end of the world. For as long as you are not partners for life there is always a good chance that the dance partnership will come to an end at some point. And I personally would always discourage from life partners becoming 'dance partners' for competitions.

Trish
26th-July-2005, 02:30 PM
:flower: :flower: :flower:

Flowers and sympathy for all those poor souls on this thread - I do sympathise.

Lou, your situation sounds awful, I hope you get something sorted soon. Id there no way you can write directly to the company and cut out the middle man (they could maybe readvertise the job under a different title or something) - this is probably a vain hope, but it's worth a go I guess if you haven't tried it.

Purple Sparkler - I so sympathise with this, this always seems to happen to me too! I've actually given up requesting specific songs, as I always get depressed when I can't find anyone that I really want to dance with to them. It's just not the same if you end up dancing with a yanker!

Minnie - hope you've cheered up a bit, you usually seem such a happy person!

Anna - hope you find the partner of your dreams out there soon!

Everyone else who's feeling down, here have a hug, I'm feeling sympathetic today :hug: Hope you all cheer up soon!

Minnie M
26th-July-2005, 02:43 PM
.....Minnie - hope you've cheered up a bit........
thanks Trish - I'm back to my normal silly self :D need some retail therapy now, anyone got a couple of hundred spare to give to a happy mouse :whistle:

JoC
1st-August-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm sitting opposite an empty desk today, my lovely assistant was head-hunted and Friday past was his last day.

Dismantled our 'wall of nonsense' when I got in this morning.

:tears:

(Did see him this morning in his new role mind you :) )

Northants Girly
5th-August-2005, 02:21 PM
Went to the dentist just now and I need 4 old fillings replacing :tears: :tears:

but he did say that I don't need to see the hygenist as I look after my teeth so well :D
(which was a surprise :rolleyes: )

Gojive
5th-August-2005, 02:49 PM
Went to the dentist just now and I need 4 old fillings replacing :tears: :tears:

but he did say that I don't need to see the hygenist as I look after my teeth so well :D
(which was a surprise :rolleyes: )

I went to the dentist the other day. He said my teeth are wonderful :clap: ....but my gums need to come out! :really: :na:

Swinging bee
5th-August-2005, 02:50 PM
I had the blues because I had no shoes.

Then on a street, I met a man with no feet!

Donna
5th-August-2005, 02:56 PM

Awwww you don't sound you're sparkly self today. I know exactly how that feels and yes....you feel a complete fool when you have to pretend you weren't approaching them. Hey you should have asked if you could do double trouble. :)

Jive Brummie
5th-August-2005, 04:05 PM
Seeing as we're having a bit of a whinge...and I'm sure I'm not the only one...but,

I work for a bunch of spineless back stabbing yes men & women who wouldn't know how to organise the preverbial in a brewery...

(that's during my day job I hasten to add...Franck!)

J :sick:

Franck
5th-August-2005, 07:04 PM
I work for a bunch of spineless back stabbing yes men & women who wouldn't know how to organise the preverbial in a brewery...

(that's during my day job I hasten to add...Franck!):rofl:
The thought never crossed my mind :wink:

Anna
5th-August-2005, 11:40 PM
:sad: I'm meant to be going up to Auckland tonight (1 and 1/2 hours north) to go salsa dancing and i have THE WORST cold in the history of the world.

Really, i do.

And it's only really sprung itself on me today - i'm a walking, sniffing, spluttering puffy ball of sickness (how attractive) :sad: GRRRRRRRRRR.... :mad:

but of course i'll still go (i must, i organised it).. even though i'll most likely be blowing my nose more than i'll be dancing :sad: :rofl:

LMC
7th-August-2005, 11:14 AM
Not so much of a whinge as a wee rant....

I was standing at the side of the dance floor last night and found myself watching in disbelief as a guy stood in the corner by the stage liberally squirted himself with deodorant - right next to the dance floor. I went over and asked him why he didn't go to the Gents - and the smell of the aerosol was overpowering for a good 8 foot radius around him. Worst of all, he didn't give a s*** and couldn't see what was wrong with doing that :mad:

El Salsero Gringo
7th-August-2005, 11:41 AM
Not so much of a whinge as a wee rant....

I was standing at the side of the dance floor last night and found myself watching in disbelief as a guy stood in the corner by the stage liberally squirted himself with deodorant - right next to the dance floor. I went over and asked him why he didn't go to the Gents - and the smell of the aerosol was overpowering for a good 8 foot radius around him. Worst of all, he didn't give a s*** and couldn't see what was wrong with doing that :mad:Look on the bright side - at least he was using some!

Andreas
7th-August-2005, 12:13 PM
:sad: I'm meant to be going up to Auckland tonight (1 and 1/2 hours north) to go salsa dancing and i have THE WORST cold in the history of the world.

Really, i do.

And it's only really sprung itself on me today - i'm a walking, sniffing, spluttering puffy ball of sickness (how attractive) :sad: GRRRRRRRRRR.... :mad:

but of course i'll still go (i must, i organised it).. even though i'll most likely be blowing my nose more than i'll be dancing :sad: :rofl:

Drama Queen ;)

BTW, I'll be in Melbourne last week Sept / first week Oct. Won't make it across the ditch this time, though :(

ElaineB
7th-August-2005, 09:51 PM
A Rant.

There's a lovely and rare job in the beautiful fabled golden City of Bristol.
The company like my CV & think I'd be worth interviewing for the role.
However, they aren't allowed to interview me because the agency that mucked up the contract would sue them if they were to contact me. And I can't apply through any other agency.

But that's OK. Because the agent doesn't have to work in bloody Swindon. :rolleyes:

So Babes what happened? :hug: :hug:

Don't forget that many a door opens when one closes! :hug:

Elaine

ElaineB
7th-August-2005, 09:55 PM

Something similar happened to me at the Ce Roc competition at Hammersmith. 'All that Jazz' was played and I was a little late off the starting blocks........all the decent leaders had been taken, however, the pole in the corner obliged..........fantastic interpretation! :wink:

Elaine

Anna
8th-August-2005, 04:42 AM
Drama Queen ;)

BTW, I'll be in Melbourne last week Sept / first week Oct. Won't make it across the ditch this time, though :(
aw :( well i'll forgive u as long as u come back in time for my birthday danceparty :D .. and it looks as though there may be a performance from Kantuta if we can find a venue good enough !

Lou
8th-August-2005, 07:18 AM
So Babes what happened? :hug: :hug:

Don't forget that many a door opens when one closes! :hug: :hug: Well, I've gotten my wish, as they've decided to close our Swindon office. So it'll mean either a vague possibilty of relocating to Solihull, or finding another job. So I've polished up the CV & relaunched it, and I'm getting a couple of calls a day from agencies. We'll see.... :hug:

Andreas
8th-August-2005, 09:23 AM
aw :( well i'll forgive u as long as u come back in time for my birthday danceparty :D .. and it looks as though there may be a performance from Kantuta if we can find a venue good enough !

Oohh that becomes more tempting by the minute :D

It all depends on my 'final' departure from the UK as by the end of my next trip I have only one day annual leave left :sick:

Donna
8th-August-2005, 10:07 AM
Errrr...don't mean to sound funny....but this thread is on the 'lets talk about dance section' and ummm this topic isn't about dancing is it?? :really: