PDA

View Full Version : Burn The Floor - 5-8 Oct 05 London

Peter
21st-July-2005, 12:21 PM
I have just received the following email from hodsdonemma@hotmail.com

Dear Stepping Out Club Member,

Thank you enquiring about Burn the Floor.

Right now we are in Perth, Western Australia, where out new production is under way. New music, choreography and ideas, including eight musicians on stage. It is the first time we have used live music in the show, and its a great breakthrough for us.

We are considering coming to London for a few dates in October, just a very quick trip, to perform at the Hackney Empire in London on October 5, 6, 7, 8. It is a long time sine we have had such an opportunity in our schedule.

You may know that BBC's Strictly Dance Fever ran a competition this year, and the winners Sadie and Joseph won the opportunity to perform in our show, we would involve them in these performances, and at the same time, get to showcase out latest work. It is bar far the best we have ever done.

Would you support these shows at the Hackney Empire?

Tickets may cost from 20 pounds to 35 pounds.

It would really help us to get your feedback, and if we can get this confirmed would be able to offer you a preferential booking period as one of our members,

We hope to hear from you soon,

best wishes
Emma
Coordinator and Company Manager.

Lory
21st-July-2005, 12:35 PM
Sounds good, I hope I can go! :)

Chef
21st-July-2005, 01:30 PM
Well Blow me down.

I have been checing the website (www.burnthefloor.com) each month in the hope that the show would come to (or even near) europe and the site doesn't mention a thing about the new show coming to London.

FWIW Commis Chef and I would love to have tickets.

Perhaps a forum outing?

Little Em
21st-July-2005, 01:30 PM
i would do ANYTHING to go and see one of there shows...

awesome! :clap:

let us know where we can get tickets from!!

em x :flower:

Gojive
21st-July-2005, 06:11 PM
Well Blow me down.

I have been checing the website (www.burnthefloor.com) each month in the hope that the show would come to (or even near) europe and the site doesn't mention a thing about the new show coming to London.

FWIW Commis Chef and I would love to have tickets.

Perhaps a forum outing?

:yeah: :yeah:

Northants Girly
22nd-July-2005, 12:07 AM
Perhaps a forum outing? :yeah:

Paul F
22nd-July-2005, 09:36 AM
I would DEFINATELY be up for that. How fab would that be

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Simon r
22nd-July-2005, 10:13 AM
ok with nicole and myself have we got enough for a party booking ...
front seats please....

Mie
22nd-July-2005, 02:12 PM
Me too, me too!!!!

:clap: :worthy: :clap: :worthy: :clap: :worthy: :clap: :worthy:

Rhythm King
22nd-July-2005, 02:43 PM
Can I direct peoples' attention back to the original message. Emma says that this is a proposed visit in October. If you want it to take place, e-mail her at the address given and give her your views.

I'm up for a group visit too.

R-K :flower:

Lory
22nd-July-2005, 02:47 PM
Can I direct peoples' attention back to the original message. Emma says that this is a proposed visit in October. If you want it to take place, e-mail her at the address given and give her your views.

I'm up for a group visit too.

R-K :flower:
:cheers: He he he and I've just emailed her to inform her she 'has' got people interested and maybe I could organise a group booking if she could be more definite ;)

Tessalicious
22nd-July-2005, 03:23 PM
:cheers: He he he and I've just emailed her to inform her she 'has' got people interested and maybe I could organise a group booking if she could be more definite ;)Is there space for a little'un? If so, put me on the list, pretty please!

Lory
22nd-July-2005, 03:31 PM
Is there space for a little'un? If so, put me on the list, pretty please!
Well, I've not heard anything back yet but, if everyone who wants to go, adds there name here, I'll see if we can get a block booking, who knows, we might even get a discount? :na:

Could be a really nice evening if we meet up for a drink first! :cheers:

Minnie M
22nd-July-2005, 03:41 PM
Sounds a great idea :clap: - worth the trip to London, put my name down too please :flower: especially if it is a weekend

Tiggerbabe
22nd-July-2005, 04:16 PM
And me! I'd love to go :fingers crossed:

under par
23rd-July-2005, 06:11 AM
Count Mrs Par and I in too, she would love it :flower: . ................sshhhhhh don't tell her I'm booking tickets want it to be a nice surprise :clap: .......SOME HOPE eh! :mad:

Cruella
23rd-July-2005, 11:42 AM
Me too, would love to go more than anything. :clap:

David Franklin
23rd-July-2005, 11:49 AM
Count me and Bryony in as well!!!

PeteK
23rd-July-2005, 10:38 PM
Count me in.!

Pete

Clive Long
24th-July-2005, 01:01 AM
CRL too please - I should be revising at that time - but I'll probably be past caring :)

Oh, and a seat not behind people with large hats, noisy sweets or people who grind their teeth involuntarily.

Thank-you.

Who's holding the ring on booking this? May I suggest deposits by a certain date if the show does come on in London?

Clive

under par
24th-July-2005, 09:24 AM
I would be looking for at least 5 tickets now I've mentioned it to some others.

Do we know when or if they are likely to confirm the dates.

Lory
24th-July-2005, 10:07 AM
Do we know when or if they are likely to confirm the dates.
All I can say is, I've now emailed twice, requesting any information they can give us, explaining that there's quite a few of us who would be very interested going but alas, I've heard nothing back so far :sad:

angelique
24th-July-2005, 10:50 AM
Can I come along too please ...if i promise to behave myself?? :grin:

under par
25th-July-2005, 07:58 AM
Can I put in a special request PLEEEAASE!

I will be flying out of Gatwick on Saturday the 8th and I so much do not want to miss a good Forum outing so can we NOT do it on the 8TH if it is going to happen......PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Be ya best friend HONEST :kiss: :hug: :flower:

Purple Sparkler
25th-July-2005, 03:38 PM
Can I come? Can I? Can I? Can I?

Little Em
25th-July-2005, 04:19 PM
i want to come!!! :D

Simon r
25th-July-2005, 04:32 PM
i want to come!!! :D

i thought you had a new boyfriend for that..... :whistle:

Cruella
25th-July-2005, 04:57 PM
i thought you had a new boyfriend for that..... :whistle:

How rude!!! You must remember there are ladies present Simon :whistle:

Ballroom queen
25th-July-2005, 05:16 PM
and me, but not Thursday or Saturday as I'm going to this, Hannes and Amy, teachers from Strictly no sequins have the lead role.

http://www.theambassadors.com/newwimbledon/sp_p2221.html

Peter
26th-July-2005, 08:58 AM
New email address to indicate your interest (see the very first message on this thread for details)

emma@burnthefloor.com

El Salsero Gringo
26th-July-2005, 09:21 AM
How rude!!! You must remember there are ladies present Simon :whistle:That's no lady... :whistle:

Lory
26th-July-2005, 09:21 AM
New email address to indicate your interest (see the very first message on this thread for details)

emma@burnthefloor.com

Ok, i've written again, let's hope we hear something back this time :yeah:

I'll let you all know as soon as I get a reply :nice: :nice:

Little Em
26th-July-2005, 05:28 PM
That's no lady... :whistle:

hope your not referring to me!! :wink:

Cruella
26th-July-2005, 06:39 PM
That's no lady... :whistle:
Or me!!! You better beware next time Littleemc-central and i are in your vicinity. :devil: Together we're invincible :wink:

Little Em
27th-July-2005, 08:58 AM
Or me!!! You better beware next time Littleemc-central and i are in your vicinity. :devil: Together we're invincible :wink:

yes!

We will talk to you to death!! :really:

:devil:

Peter
18th-August-2005, 04:23 PM
Dear Stepping Out Club Member,

I am happy to advise you that our new show Burn the Floor-Extreme Ballroom is confirmed at the Hackney Empire in London. The dates are October 5, 6, 7 and 8 at 8.00pm. These will be our only UK dates this year.

In these special showcases we will have Sadie and Joseph, winners of BBC's Strictly Dance Fever as our guests.

We are immensely proud of this new show, and hope you will have an opportunity to see it.

As a Stepping Out Club member you will have the first opportunity to buy tickets, a preferential window before our advertising stats on the 25th August. You can call now-the box office is ready!

Prices range from £19.50 to £35.50. You can contact the box office on 0208 985 2424, or in person at the theatre. Box office is open 10.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Saturday.

We hope to have your support, and the support of your friends,

best wishes,
Emma
emma@burnthefloor.com

under par
18th-August-2005, 04:27 PM
okay folks looks like we off and running. Which date are we aiming for?

then I can call and book tickets a.s.a.p :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Should we pick a date and then all book our own small groupings because i feel they are going to sell out real quick.. :what:

PS i cannot make the Saturday 8th as on holiday.

Can I suggest a date of THURSDAY 6TH!! See how many can do that date.

Donna
18th-August-2005, 04:29 PM
okay folks looks like we off and running. Which date are we aiming for?

then I can call and book tickets a.s.a.p :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Should we pick a date and then all book our own small groupings because i feel they are going to sell out real quick.. :what:

PS i cannot make the Saturday 8th as on holiday.

Can I suggest a date of THURSDAY 6TH!! See how many can do that date.

I'm definately up for that. Sure Steve will be too!!!!! :clap:

Minnie M
18th-August-2005, 04:30 PM
:cool: and :waycool:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
were should we go from here Peter ? start a 'named' poll and you PM us with how we pay - or do we pay direct using you as a reference AND which date should we use so it can be a forumite outing

I will do the poll - that OK for all ?

under par
18th-August-2005, 04:33 PM

were should we go from here Peter ? start a 'named' poll and you PM us with how we pay - or do we pay direct using you as a reference AND which date should we use so it can be a forumite outing ??

I would suggest paying as individuals would be far less cumbersome

We need to know from Peter can we just phone the boxoffice ourselves.

Then if we decide on a date (I am suggesting 6th Oct !!) and get our tickets and meet up YEAH :yeah:

Little Em
18th-August-2005, 04:34 PM

were should we go from here Peter ? start a 'named' poll and you PM us with how we pay - or do we pay direct using you as a reference AND which date should we use so it can be a forumite outing

I will do the poll - that OK for all ?

go ahead!!!! :D

i deffo want to come to see this - what an opportunity it will be fab!! :cheers:

Chef
18th-August-2005, 04:37 PM
5th or 6th for Commis Chef and Me. I have just called the theatre because I cannot find a seating plan on thier website. close to the stage is £27 while further back is £35 (they reccomended the front of the dress circle so that you can be looking slightly down on a dance performance - also £35).

I think the 6th would be our prefered date.

How many would we get for a block booking?

LATE NEWS

The discout is that for every 10 tickets we book we would get one free. This only ammounts to a £3 discount. I guess we are all champing at the bit to get tickets so are we going for a forum gathering or is it going to be everyone for themselves?

Peter
18th-August-2005, 04:40 PM
It is not a huge theatre and I suspect demand will be huge .. I suggest every man for himself!

under par
18th-August-2005, 04:40 PM
5th or 6th for Commis Chef and Me. I have just called the theatre because I cannot find a seating plan on thier website. close to the stage is £27 while further back is £35 (they reccomended the front of the dress circle so that you can be looking slightly down on a dance performance - also £35).

I think the 6th would be our prefered date.

How many would we get for a block booking?

Minnie has just created another thread /poll for dates.

I would suggest to avoid missing out on a great oppurtunity that what ever date is decided we get the tickets booked asap.

Chef
18th-August-2005, 04:52 PM
Sorry folks. I contacted Commis Chef and got my orders. Book the best seats available on Thursday 6th Oct and do it at once. She even told me that if her daughters wanted to go the she would pay but they would have to take their chances at getting a ticket.

Yay!

under par
24th-August-2005, 12:04 PM
I would suggest to avoid missing out on a great oppurtunity that what ever date is decided we get the tickets booked asap.

I got my tickets in the post yesterday. :yeah:

6th October 8PM whos joining Mrs Par and I for the dance extravaganza ? :clap: :clap:

LMC
24th-August-2005, 12:26 PM
Purple Sparkler and I will be sitting in the front row of the dress circle on Thursday 6 October :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just waiting for the tickets to arrive :nice:

Purple Sparkler
24th-August-2005, 04:57 PM
Purple Sparkler and I will be sitting in the front row of the dress circle on Thursday 6 October :clap: :clap: :clap:

Which is why NewKid is Queen for the Day.

Ballroom queen
11th-September-2005, 09:59 PM
http://www.theambassadors.com/newwimbledon/sp_p2221.html

I have just found out that Danny and Jodie from Strictly dance fever are in this! :clap: :clap:

Gojive
11th-September-2005, 11:40 PM
I have just found out that Danny and Jodie from Strictly dance fever are in this! :clap: :clap:

Could be a busy week of dancing then...Sat 1st Rebel Yell, Midweek Erin Boag + Danny & Jodie in SBD, then Sat 8th Burn the Floor :waycool:

Thanks for the heads up on this BQ :)

Missy D
26th-September-2005, 10:48 AM

6th October 8PM whos joining Mrs Par and I for the dance extravaganza ? :clap: :clap:

I got my ticket for the 6th too for my birthday! :clap: :clap: I am very close to the front! :clap: Where will everyone else be?

Cruella
26th-September-2005, 10:51 AM
Is anyone else going on the friday? Or is it just me and my hubby?

Lucy Locket
26th-September-2005, 10:56 AM
Perhaps a forum outing?

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Little Em
26th-September-2005, 02:23 PM
now booked tickets for the thursday!! v. excited! :clap:

normally teach on a thurs but the venue had other plans for that thurs, only just told us!!!! so i then decided i HAD to go to see the show on the thurs...well it was fate!! :D

x

LMC
4th-October-2005, 10:13 AM
Is there an unofficial mini-forum gathering at any of the local hostelries /eating-type places before the show on Thursday 6 October?

Gojive
4th-October-2005, 10:16 AM
Is there an unofficial mini-forum gathering at any of the local hostelries /eating-type places before the show on Thursday 6 October?

:tears:

Is anyone else going on Saturday?

SilverFox
4th-October-2005, 10:22 AM
:tears:

Is anyone else going on Saturday?Me and a posse.

I said posse, we're not in the Den now.....

Gojive
4th-October-2005, 10:40 AM
Me and a posse.

I said posse, we're not in the Den now.....

LOL! :D

See you there! :cheers:

Missy D
4th-October-2005, 11:04 AM

:yeah: I shall be coming along with Mikeyr from the forum (not Mikey by the way). Would love to meet up with everyone either before or after the show.. Just hoping i dont have a tall man or lady with a hat on in front of me..

Mie
4th-October-2005, 01:21 PM

We will!
Me, Danielle and James have got tickets for thursday. Sitting on the 4th row, I believe.

So excited! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chef
4th-October-2005, 01:37 PM
How about - Wear (or carry) something orange (the Cerocscotland colour) so the forumites can spot each other.

Don't even think of suggesting something sparkly. It is a ballroom show after all. There will already be loads of people coming along in sparkly/glittery stuff.

Angelina
4th-October-2005, 02:28 PM
Tony has bought me tickets for the Thursday night as a surprise!!

I am really looking forward to it!

Angie x

ChrisA
4th-October-2005, 02:30 PM
How about - Wear (or carry) something orange (the Cerocscotland colour) so the forumites can spot each other.

Are you ill, Chef?

:D

I'm starting to feel quite relieved that it's tomorrow we're going ... :na:

Chef
4th-October-2005, 02:45 PM
Are you ill, Chef?

:D

I'm starting to feel quite relieved that it's tomorrow we're going ... :na:

Must have been something I ate. :sick:

I just happened to buy a mostly orange shirt while in Antigua. I also bought some other "loud" shirts when I was there just in case TWK calls another "sunglass shirt" event.

If you are going on the same Day as ChrisA - He will be the man in black. :D

Missy D
6th-October-2005, 07:59 AM
The day is here already and tonight its Burn the Floor! I am so excited to be going! Will not be wearing orange though. I will be the one wearing black:rofl:

ChrisA
6th-October-2005, 09:38 AM
You lot are in for a treat. We went last night and it was great. Won't say any more for now though.

:clap:

Bex
6th-October-2005, 03:58 PM
You lot are in for a treat. We went last night and it was great. Won't say any more for now though.

My boss from work went too last night, she said it was amazing. Very interesting to hear her comments on the show considering she's not on the dance scene, just someone with an appreciation of dance (and she know's the people who organise it).

Like Chris, I won't go into detail to spoil it for anyone, but she did say something about the lady in orange being far too sexy for her own good! Will leave it there, could go on, but want to see it for myself before I comment more!!

ChrisA
6th-October-2005, 04:07 PM
Like Chris, I won't go into detail to spoil it for anyone, but she did say something about the lady in orange being far too sexy for her own good! Will leave it there, could go on, but want to see it for myself before I comment more!!
More like far too sexy for my own good... :D

LMC
6th-October-2005, 11:30 PM

Just got back - fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap: - can't wait until everyone who's going has seen it so we can talk about it properly :nice:

See what you mean about the woman in orange - Lory wondered if we can get her to come and do a ladies' style workshop :D :drool:

Gojive
6th-October-2005, 11:34 PM
Just got back - fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap: - can't wait until everyone who's going has seen it so we can talk about it properly :nice:

See what you mean about the woman in orange - Lory wondered if we can get her to come and do a ladies' style workshop :D :drool:

I'm going on Saturday evening - I was so looking forward to this show, even more so now! :waycool:

under par
7th-October-2005, 12:27 AM

I vote for her to do a mens style workshop and a pole dance in the Foxes Den:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Missy D
7th-October-2005, 08:14 AM
Brilliant nights entertainment!! :clap:

Feel like an absolute beginner at dancing now!

Bex
7th-October-2005, 09:21 AM
Had a great evening too, shame about the crap journey there and back but the show was well worth it!

I'll probably get shot down for saying this but I did think Joseph and Sadie looked a bit out of their depth compared to the other dancers there. Don't get me wrong they are great dancers themselves and in a normal dance venue they would be truly outstanding, however compared to the other dancers they didn't look as professional, but that's just my opinion.

The other dancers were simply stunning, I've never seen dancers move so fast with such accuracy, grace and style - truly awesome :worthy: The girls costumes and shoes were gorgeous too :drool:

Fantastic evening and great to see so many familiar faces :hug:

I with you Missy D, I feel a complete beginner too :tears: !!!

ChrisA
7th-October-2005, 09:58 AM
I'll probably get shot down for saying this but I did think Joseph and Sadie looked a bit out of their depth compared to the other dancers there. Don't get me wrong they are great dancers themselves and in a normal dance venue they would be truly outstanding, however compared to the other dancers they didn't look as professional, but that's just my opinion.

I totally agree. I wondered if it was just first night nerves, but evidently not.

I'd actually go a bit further than this - I think the whole show was carefully choreographed to make sure that J&S could do their thing and reap the rewards of winning SDF, but without interfering too much with the difficult stuff. In quite a few of the numbers, J&S were either completely absent, or had very minor parts.

Also, at the very end, I was looking along the line of the dancers taking their bows, and noticed that J&S weren't in it, then noticed them in relative darkness up at the top of the steps at the back. This seemed significant somehow.

Having seen Danny and Jodie dance on Monday in a similar kind of show (though of nowhere near the same standard), I felt once again that they should have won SDF, and would have held their own amongst the BTF company a whole lot better.

David Franklin
7th-October-2005, 10:42 AM
I totally agree. I wondered if it was just first night nerves, but evidently not.Nope - they were really disappointing last night. Interestingly, they looked quite tired to me - they were a lot more switched on for the SDF programs (I went to a couple of the filmings, so saw them live).

I'd actually go a bit further than this - I think the whole show was carefully choreographed to make sure that J&S could do their thing and reap the rewards of winning SDF, but without interfering too much with the difficult stuff. That was pretty clear - their routines seemed more or less taken straight from the SDF routines as well.

Also, at the very end, I was looking along the line of the dancers taking their bows, and noticed that J&S weren't in it, then noticed them in relative darkness up at the top of the steps at the back. This seemed significant somehow.I wouldn't have said this was the case last night - I don't know if they changed things or if we had different perceptions.

Bottom line: Joseph and Sadie were a couple of "West End Stage" dancers in a ballroom show, and looking very out of place. We saw Saturday Night Fever recently, and they would have looked fine there. Just goes to emphasize the schizophrenia of SDF - which looked to be about couple dancing, and, um, wasn't...

P.S. Girl in orange... :drool:
P.P.S. Although Bryony has a new plan for her next birthday dance! :wink:

Missy D
7th-October-2005, 10:47 AM
P.P.S. Although Bryony has a new plan for her next birthday dance! :wink:

Me too! Wish I had thought of that for my birthday last month :drool: :whistle:

Gojive
7th-October-2005, 11:53 AM
Please don't give too much away about the show just yet, some of us aren't going until tomorrow night :wink: :flower:

On the subject of transport, how did you all get there, and how long were the journey times from central London?

How long is the show?

Did any of you eat around the Hackney area, and if so, where and what was it like?

ChrisA
7th-October-2005, 11:56 AM
On the subject of transport, how did you all get there, and how long were the journey times from central London?

Via the North London Link line from Richmond, which took ****ing ages. Almost two hours to get home to Twickenham afterwards.

How long is the show?

Just under two hours (including the interval).

under par
7th-October-2005, 12:03 PM
Please don't give too much away about the show just yet, some of us aren't going until tomorrow night :wink: :flower:

How long is the show?

Did any of you eat around the Hackney area, and if so, where and what was it like?

I think it was quicker for mrs Par and I travelling up from Worthing than it was for the london based forumite getting across town. So my advice get a train to worthing, hire a car and drive A27 A23 M23 M25 A20 almost straight to theatre.

Get free parking pass from the box office to allow a night free parking in Tescos across the road. (worthy of note for anyone driving as not much parking elsewhere)

Have a great night

Bex
7th-October-2005, 12:04 PM

How long is the show?

Sorry Gojive, I should keep my big mouth shut. You'll love it though :hug:

We drove, albeit from Maidenhead, it was fine getting in to Central London it was just finding Hackney from Kings Cross!! Plenty of free parking though, we parked in the Tesco's car park round the corner from Hackney Empire.

Not many eating places in walking distance to the Empire that we spotted, but we stubbled across Hackney Central (just round the corner), where some of the other forumites were gathered. Unfortunately, they were severely under staffed and everyone had to wait ages for their food. Luckily the show didn't start exactly on time so we didn't miss anything.

The show started just approx 8.10pm and finished at 10.00pm last night.

Have a lovely time, wish I was going again!

LMC
7th-October-2005, 12:05 PM

How long is the show?

My tickets came in a nice little wallet with transport and eating out information :innocent:

In practice:

Transport: go to www.tfl.gov.uk, plug in your start postcode and Hackney Empire's postcode as the destination - E8 1EJ. It will tell you how to get there and even about how long it takes. The bus from Holborn last night was direct (therefore easy) but *painfully* slow - took about an hour :eek: - wish I'd gone central line to Bethnal Green and picked up a bus from there (the 55 definitely, don't know about others but Ken's lovely website, as posted above, should let you know).

Eating: we (PS and I) tried the Wetherspoons, directly opposite the theatre - but you'll need to get there earlier than we did - the service is painfully slow and when they told us it would be a 15 minute wait for food we decamped to the Kentucky Fried Chicken - where there were a surprising number of people we knew... :whistle:

Hope this helps - ENJOY it - I wish I was going again :clap:

Gojive
7th-October-2005, 01:06 PM
Chris, UP, Bex, and LMC - many thanks for your help :)

LMC - following your link to TFL, I found out that I can go from Liverpool Street to Hackney in 7 mins!

My partner and I are spending the day in London before the show, so now we can plan our itinery better.

Thanks all! :)

Divissima
7th-October-2005, 09:27 PM
It has been a dream of mine to see Burn the Floor on stage - so much that was awesome about the night, not least standing a few feet away from Peta Robey in the bar :worthy: I don't normally get starstruck but.... :blush:

Ballroom queen
8th-October-2005, 12:18 AM
Had a great evening too, shame about the crap journey there and back but the show was well worth it!

The other dancers were simply stunning, I've never seen dancers move so fast with such accuracy, grace and style - truly awesome :worthy: The girls costumes and shoes were gorgeous too :drool:

I have to say I agree, J&S only did about 3 numbers, having seen danny and jodie in strictly ballroom dancing in wimbledon (last night tomorrow) I think they got a better deal - 3 months touring the uk and they danced thru the whole show pretty much, they were the better dancers and that shone thru.

I also thought Sadie was far better than Joseph.

All in all, FAB, a whole new meaning to the rumba - get ready girls, the men get the girl in orange - but we get a good show too.

Tube to highbury and islington, silver link to Hackney central, 1.5 hrs to get home, ate in the pub opposite, ok, nothing to write home again, get there early! (better still eat elsewhere!)

Lory
8th-October-2005, 10:24 PM
Now that the show has finished it's run and everyone's had a chance to see it... we can talk about it! :clap:

I thought it was fabulous! :waycool:

The two best bits for me were, the extremely sexy dance, where the lady in orange (who's made me question my sexuality, cos even I couldn't take my eyes off of her:really: :blush: ) gets blindfolded by several men, who all have the bodies of Adonis's and are stripped to the waist, take turns to erm... dance with her:yum: :drool: (yess every forumetta now has the same birthday dance wish! :wink: )

and secondly, was the very clever fight dance, the interchanges between the couples were completely seamless and awe inspiring!:worthy:

Sadly Sadie and Joseph didn't quite cut the mustard for me,:sad: I was disappointed that they seemed to have stayed exactly where they were at the end of SDF, they don't seem to have progressed at all and even wore the same costumes. They seemed clumsy and rushed, personally I was saddened by this, as I really hoped they wern't going to be just a 'one dance wonder', I wonder if they'll still be wearing their sparkly green outfits and opening school fetes with that routine next year?... :tears:

IMO the other dancers were just in another league all together.:worthy:

Tiggerbabe
8th-October-2005, 10:43 PM
Now that the show has finished it's run and everyone's had a chance to see it... we can talk about it! :clap: Wouldn't quite go that far, Lory :tears: - guess I'll need to wait for the DVD to come out.

Sounds like it was fabulous though :clap:

Feelingpink
8th-October-2005, 11:27 PM
Now that the show has finished it's run and everyone's had a chance to see it... we can talk about it! :clap:

I thought it was fabulous! :waycool:

The two best bits for me were, the extremely sexy dance, where the lady in orange (who's made me question my sexuality, cos even I couldn't take my eyes off of her:really: :blush: ) gets blindfolded by several men, who all have the bodies of Adonis's and are stripped to the waist, take turns to erm... dance with her:yum: :drool: (yess every forumetta now has the same birthday dance wish! :wink: )

and secondly, was the very clever fight dance, the interchanges between the couples were completely seamless and awe inspiring!:worthy:

Sadly Sadie and Joseph didn't quite cut the mustard for me,:sad: I was disappointed that they seemed to have stayed exactly where they were at the end of SDF, they don't seem to have progressed at all and even wore the same costumes. They seemed clumsy and rushed, personally I was saddened by this, as I really hoped they wern't going to be just a 'one dance wonder', I wonder if they'll still be wearing their sparkly green outfits and opening school fetes with that routine next year?... :tears:

IMO the other dancers were just in another league all together.:worthy:Hmmm. This may not be popular - and it comes from someone who doesn't dance ballroom - but I wasn't wild about the night at all. The choreography, for the main part, I didn't find inspiring. The women kept running their hands through their hair and strutting and doing whirling dervish moves with their costumes, but where were the moves? (Very nice pink dance shoes and the female singer had fabulous, fabulous black ones with very thin heels). I wondered if a few of the segments were really Kate Bush gone wrong.

I agree with your S&J comments - it was as if they weren't projecting their dancing to the audience as much as the others and I didn't have the impression that they were "in" the moves as they were doing them - they were thinking of the next one and as if just doing the moves was enough. It wasn't, and it showed.

The 'birthday' blindfold dance was indeed fun for the woman, although I like my chaps to have more meat on their bones.

The music, for the most part, was enjoyable - apart from the flute player :mad: and the pure schmaltz at the end. I'm pleased that I went - and it was great to see the Scottish crowd, Spicy, Foxy, Limpy Tink, Seahorse and co.

Lory
8th-October-2005, 11:47 PM
I like my chaps to have more meat on their bones.

I think your just being a fussy cow now! :wink:

ALTHOUGH, I DO have to agree, I like a bit more beef on my men :devil: but I'm too young to die and go to heaven just yet! :D

foxylady
9th-October-2005, 02:16 AM
............ I'm pleased that I went - and it was great to see the Scottish crowd, Spicy, Foxy, Limpy Tink, Seahorse and co.

I wasn't there. SilverFox was. I'm "Foxy" and he's just foxy

David Franklin
9th-October-2005, 09:48 AM
Having now seen both the "competing" productions (Strictly Ballroom Dancing v.s. Burn the Floor), I have to say SBD was a clear winner for me. Beautifully choreographed, fantastic ballroom dancers, amazing costumes. In comparison, BtF felt like a very low budget production. I also felt BtF was too much of a "stage show" - it's a difficult balance, but if the bedrock of your show is ballroom dancing, then there's only so far you can stray before losing that. In contrast, SBD kept to its theme throughout - lots of 'pure' ballroom dancing, the dresses (and glitter) we've come to expect from the TV show, with the occasional surprise to mix things up.

Jodie and Danny were awesome - there were a couple of times they looked a little unpolished relative to the others, but there were also several times they looked the best couple. Unlike Joseph and Sadie, they looked like integral cast members, not the celebrity novelty act.

If you get the opportunity to see Strictly Ballroom Dancing, grab it! :clap:

ChrisA
9th-October-2005, 11:22 AM
Having now seen both the "competing" productions (Strictly Ballroom Dancing v.s. Burn the Floor), I have to say SBD was a clear winner for me.

I'm amazed to read this.

We saw SBD on Monday, and BTF on Wednesday, and the impression I'm left with after seeing both is exactly opposite to yours.

I really enjoyed SBD (though the "comedy" really grated :sick: ), and I completely agree with:

Jodie and Danny were awesome - there were a couple of times they looked a little unpolished relative to the others, but there were also several times they looked the best couple. Unlike Joseph and Sadie, they looked like integral cast members, not the celebrity novelty act.

I also agree that

In contrast, SBD kept to its theme throughout - lots of 'pure' ballroom dancing, the dresses (and glitter) we've come to expect from the TV show

But I thought the BTF production was much better in every other respect, including the choreography, choice of music, costumes, and the quality of the dancing - and I didn't detect a trace of "low budget" feel to it.

I also felt BtF was too much of a "stage show" - it's a difficult balance, but if the bedrock of your show is ballroom dancing, then there's only so far you can stray before losing that
Very true - SBD was purer. But the original BTF was very much a stage show too, so I wasn't surprised that this one was too.

If you get the opportunity to see Strictly Ballroom Dancing, grab it! :clap:
..... :yeah:

David Franklin
9th-October-2005, 11:51 AM
But I thought the BTF production was much better in every other respect, including the choreography, choice of music, costumes, and the quality of the dancing - and I didn't detect a trace of "low budget" feel to it.I felt the costumes in BTF were all pretty plain - to be honest they looked more like really nice 'practice' outfits than full-on performance dress. But then you know me - not happy unless there's lots of sparkle. As far as choreography/dancing goes, it's always going to be somewhat personal - for one thing I generally prefer slower styles, and I think BTF averaged a fair bit quicker than SBD.

Not sure how much I was also biased from seeing the original BTF on DVD - that was clearly a much bigger budget than either show here, and the new show suffered in the comparison.

Agree with you on the "comedy" though... :sick:

LMC
9th-October-2005, 01:00 PM
.... The two best bits for me were, the extremely sexy dance, where the lady in orange (who's made me question my sexuality, cos even I couldn't take my eyes off of her:really: :blush: ) gets blindfolded by several men, who all have the bodies of Adonis's and are stripped to the waist, take turns to erm... dance with her:yum: :drool: (yess every forumetta now has the same birthday dance wish! :wink: )
:yeah: - I almost turned... :drool: :really: :blush:

But my other best bit was the samba (? ignorant as to dance style names) near the beginning - Michael Flatley eat your heart out!

It just goes to show my ignorance that I didn't notice at the time that J & S didn't have the same 'polish' as the others - although I can see it in retrospect now so many people have said it, and even on the night, I thought it a bit unfair that they got so much extra "attention" when all the cast deserve the same credit for an absolutely awesome show. I'd go again.

Lindsay
9th-October-2005, 10:14 PM
Lory:
.... The two best bits for me were, the extremely sexy dance, where the lady in orange (who's made me question my sexuality, cos even I couldn't take my eyes off of her ) gets blindfolded by several men, who all have the bodies of Adonis's and are stripped to the waist, take turns to erm... dance with her (yess every forumetta now has the same birthday dance wish! )

Ditto!
Big group of us there on Saturday night, most of us thought it was absolutely superb, amazing choreography and 1st rate dancing.
:worthy:

Cruella
10th-October-2005, 12:06 PM
I felt the costumes in BTF were all pretty plain - to be honest they looked more like really nice 'practice' outfits than full-on performance dress. But then you know me - not happy unless there's lots of sparkle. As far as choreography/dancing goes, it's always going to be somewhat personal - for one thing I generally prefer slower styles, and I think BTF averaged a fair bit quicker than SBD.

Not sure how much I was also biased from seeing the original BTF on DVD - that was clearly a much bigger budget than either show here, and the new show suffered in the comparison.

Agree with you on the "comedy" though... :sick:

Although i really enjoyed BTF and would love to see it again, i was a little disappointed. After watching the original video so many times i presumed it would be on the same scale! As i'd never been to the Hackney Empire before i didn't know how small it was. It didn't deter my enjoyment from the show too much though.
I personally thought all the girls were stunning but i must admit the one in the orange dress certainly knew how to work the crowd! Very sultry! IMO It's totally unfair that there was only one 'hot' male in it. (the tall blonde :drool: ) Thought that some of the dresses reminded me of my granma's candlewick bedcover:whistle:
Wished they had been selling more merchandise, got the CD but would have liked a DVD. Must try and get to see SBD as would love to see Danny and Jodie, i think they would have fitted in with the other dancers better than Joseph and Sadie. Because of their stature and style it made them look heavy and clumsy in comparison to the lythe professionals. In the right show though i think they could hold their own.
My non dancing hubby even enjoyed the show, MMMM i wonder why!!

Lory
10th-October-2005, 12:11 PM
My non dancing hubby even enjoyed the show, MMMM i wonder why!!
Snap! :devil:

Gus
10th-October-2005, 06:53 PM
Hmmmmmm ... methinks I must have seen a different BTF show to most other posters....

Overall I thought it was a fair enough show but didnt leave the theatre impressed. I think my overiding thought was that promoting this as BTF Part Deux should have resulted in an action unmder the Trade description act. There was NO comparison to the Original BTF event

Main thoughts were;
Dancer were individualy well skilled
Choreography varied from good to dull and boring (mostly somewhere in between)
There was very little passion in the dancing
Most of the time I felt that the dancing was 'flase', lacking in true connection
A couple of the female dancers stood out
The guys look like they could all have been flattened with a wet kipper

In summary, 6/10 ..... Quite honestly I HAVE seen better on the MJ cabaret circuit, and the Us WCS performers were deffo much better (in parts).

PS .... where was the Ballroom dancing???? :confused:

ChrisA
10th-October-2005, 07:11 PM
There was NO comparison to the Original BTF event
True, at least not judging by the DVD, which was edited highlights taken from many different angles.

Most of the time I felt that the dancing was 'false', lacking in true connection

Strongly disagree. Very true indeed of Joseph and Sadie, but not the rest of them, I thought. Are you sure you aren't just referring to the lack of bounce in the hands? You can have connection without that :whistle:

The guys look like they could all have been flattened with a wet kipper

Well, I guess this is consistent with the "more beef on the blokes" theme from some of the girls here. I reckon they just shouldn't go looking in the ballroom/latin world for their men in that case :D

Quite honestly I HAVE seen better on the MJ cabaret circuit
:what: :really: :what: :really: :what:

PS .... where was the Ballroom dancing???? :confused:
You mean you didn't see all the waltz, foxtrot, quickstep and tango?????

I reckon you nodded off, and this post is just your cover.

Hmmmmmm ... methinks I must have seen a different BTF show to most other posters....

I reckon you must :D

Ballroom queen
10th-October-2005, 07:41 PM
.....snip......(PS .... where was the Ballroom dancing???? :confused:

It was "extreme" ballroom afterall - come on, it was ballroom - after a fashion - I didn't understand what they meant by "extreme" - until the rumba, blindfolded, 6 partners, etc. It thought it was fab!:drool:

Also, (can't be doing with multiple quotes), but I thought the Hackney Empire was pretty big - now wimbledon theatre - thats small !!!

As I think David F said, if you want classic ballroom try to see Strictly ballroom dancing. I don't know where its on next, but it is touring the UK, I don't know if the Bromley dates have been and gone???

Mind you, I haven't seen the Burn the floor DVD, and have no comparison - I would like to see it. But also, I do like to enjoy the shows for what they are, rather than comparing, and saying "it wasn't as good as... blah blah blah."

Hey ho.

Cruella
10th-October-2005, 07:51 PM
As I think David F said, if you want classic ballroom try to see Strictly ballroom dancing. I don't know where its on next, but it is touring the UK, I don't know if the Bromley dates have been and gone???

Would like to go and see this, i know it's up in Darlington in November as i saw fliers at the venue on Saturday. Would be good to see it a bit closer to home though. Anyone got details?

Tiggerbabe
10th-October-2005, 07:57 PM
Anyone got details?
Aberdeen - 24th - 29th October
Glasgow - 7th - 12th November

Details of other venues here (http://www.qdosentertainment.co.uk/productions/sbd/sbdbookinginfo.htm) :D

SilverFox
11th-October-2005, 12:38 AM
Quite honestly I HAVE seen better on the MJ cabaret circuitWhat a ludicrous line. :rofl: Please qualify?

Quite honestly I think you must be on some illegal narcotics. I hear crystal meth's quite big these days. :wink:

Divissima
11th-October-2005, 12:47 AM
PS .... where was the Ballroom dancing???? :confused:I was disappointed there wasn't more ballroom, but I have to admit my favourite section was the foxtrot - so moving I even got a bit choked up (but don't tell Twk 'cos he always laughs at me when I get emotional over TV/films/dancing).

True, the latin american was more showy and definitely more 'extreme', but the ballroom was lovely :grin:

Gus
11th-October-2005, 12:51 PM
What a ludicrous line. :rofl: Please qualify?

Quite honestly I think you must be on some illegal narcotics. I hear crystal meth's quite big these days. :wink:Nice to see that the ESG approach to discerning discourse and open debate lives on:whistle:

Look its my view ... I'm entitled to it. Of course, given your obviously infinitely better knowledge of MJ and WCS performanes I bow to your better judgement ....... (like right...)

My view was (amnd remains) that there were several sequences that were repeated continously ... the guys seemed more intent ofn puffing out their (weedy) chests that dancing well ... I know that many other MJ judges would have seen things that would have resulted in them marked down were it a cabaret perfomance ofr a dnace competition ... thats the pity, the more the standrad raises in Swing competitions, the harder it is to be impressed by such shows ... (though I still think the original BTF is AWESOME!!)

ChrisA
11th-October-2005, 01:00 PM
Look its my view ... I'm entitled to it.

Of course you are, just as people are entitled to say that they think that it's ludicrous.

My view was (amnd remains) that there were several sequences that were repeated continously ... the guys seemed more intent ofn puffing out their (weedy) chests that dancing well ... I know that many other MJ judges would have seen things that would have resulted in them marked down were it a cabaret perfomance ofr a dnace competition ... thats the pity, the more the standrad raises in Swing competitions, the harder it is to be impressed by such shows ... (though I still think the original BTF is AWESOME!!)
But despite all this huffing and puffing you still haven't given any examples of which MJ showcases have been better, which is what Vince asked you for, quite reasonably.

And all this "many other MJ judges" and "things that would have resulted in them marked down" need some examples, if you can think of any...

... and were really there :devil:

:flower:

Gus
11th-October-2005, 01:13 PM
But despite all this huffing and puffingChris, you really need to stop missing those interpersonal and communication skills courses....:flower:

you still haven't given any examples of which MJ showcases have been better, which is what Vince asked you for, quite reasonably.

OK ... not that I'm the greatest fan of cabarets, I would say that Dan and Lisa's performance, some of Amir and Kate's and a number of the Jordan/Tatiana (and similar) WCS perfomances were more impressive ... to ME. I would laso say that I would match up Amir/Kate and Phil/Yuko freestyling against what I saw ... not a comment on the dnacers per se, more on the choreography.

As a more relevant direct comparison, go see BOUNCE, if its still on tour ... are FAR more impressive event.

ChrisA
11th-October-2005, 01:24 PM
Dan and Lisa's
Not sure if I'm remembering this right - was this the "robot + attendant" thing from the Ceroc Champs this year? If so, I couldn't disagree more - it was impressive to watch, but the "attendant" role was pretty redundant, and it wasn't even partner dancing.

Amir and Kate's
These have been among the best of the MJ ones I've seen - hardly surprising, though, given their background. I'm still not sure I'd put it quite up there - though "Big Spender" at its best was pretty amazing.

and a number of the Jordan/Tatiana (and similar) WCS perfomances Ah, but you referred to MJ, not WCS.

Chris, you really need to stop missing those interpersonal and communication skills courses....:flower:

On the contrary, I've been on ESG's one, and I've also learned so much from your own gentle and non-combative style :hug:

Gus
11th-October-2005, 01:48 PM
Not sure if I'm remembering this right - was this the "robot + attendant" thing from the Ceroc Champs this year? If so, I couldn't disagree more - it was impressive to watch, but the "attendant" role was pretty redundant, and it wasn't even partner dancing.
Ahem ... sorry, no. I meant the original performance by Dan Baines and Lisa at the first ceroc champs.

ChrisA
11th-October-2005, 02:15 PM
Ahem ... sorry, no. I meant the original performance by Dan Baines and Lisa at the first ceroc champs.
Ah. Never saw that...

Is it on video anywhere? If it really is better than anything in BTF, then particularly since it's such a long time ago, and things have moved on so far, it's either the best MJ showcase ever, or maybe your perceptions have changed.

I know things that used to impress me wouldn't now, maybe that's an inevitable condequence of the evolution you were talking about.

David Franklin
11th-October-2005, 07:56 PM
Ah. Never saw that...

Is it on video anywhere? It's on the Ceroc "best of 99-02" DVD.

If it really is better than anything in BTF, then particularly since it's such a long time ago, and things have moved on so far, it's either the best MJ showcase ever, or maybe your perceptions have changed.I have the above DVD, so have seen it recently. I'd say that Dan/Lisa and Nigel/Nina's showcases from 1999 are the only ones from the early years that are even remotely competitive with current showcases, and that D/L's performance actually holds up better than N/N's from a 2005 perspective. It really was outstanding for its time. I'm not sure it would be a winning cabaret now though.

I'm not sure how you can compare to BtF. The quality of dancing in BtF was definitely higher, but on the other hand D/L's cabaret had an interesting and innovative theme/style, while I found some (NOT all) of the acts in BtF a bit directionless. And I think comparing the best 3 minutes a couple can manage with the performance of a touring ensemble over two hours isn't really possible anyhow.

JamesGeary
12th-October-2005, 12:56 PM
I've never seen dancers move so fast with such accuracy, grace and style - truly awesome :worthy:

Yeah, thats exactly how I felt! For the first time I've left a show wanting go straight back in and watch it all again.

I think I'm in love with half the dancers.

errr... that would be the female half.

Dance Demon
12th-October-2005, 10:54 PM
errr... that would be the female half.

Phew!!!....glad you clarified that point James.........:wink: