PDA

View Full Version : How many pairs of dancing shoes?

killingtime
20th-July-2005, 04:28 PM
From random chit chat on the sofa to a poll. How many pairs of dancing shoes do you have?

Purple Sparkler
20th-July-2005, 04:33 PM
Two- one pair of silver sparkly, and one pair of black sparkly. Between them, they go with ANYTHING.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
20th-July-2005, 04:42 PM
Just one at the moment, however i'm looking into buying a pair off the net. It's just the sizing that gets me-if you order a size and they don't fit, can you send them back, and also what is the quality like? Can anyone help me out here?

Ash x

killingtime
20th-July-2005, 04:45 PM
Drat. I forgot to open up the poll choices results to all. I'm not sure if a moderator can do that and if they want to (since people might want to keep their shoe collection a secret... I'm not sure why).

Lucy Locket
20th-July-2005, 04:47 PM
Just one at the moment, however i'm looking into buying a pair off the net. It's just the sizing that gets me-if you order a size and they don't fit, can you send them back, and also what is the quality like? Can anyone help me out here?

Ash x

i've bought off the net & returned them coz they didn't fit, no probs.

Clive Long
20th-July-2005, 04:53 PM

Ash x
Why would you buy shoes off the Net? Not a hostile question :flower: . I have wide feet so I have to try before I buy.

Of course, round Covent Garden there are more dance shops than you can shake a stick at (always slightly embarassing going into shops where most of the customers are 6 to 10 year old girls trying on ballet shoes) and there are always shoe vendors pushing their seductive wares at weekenders.

Clive

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
20th-July-2005, 04:55 PM
i've bought off the net & returned them coz they didn't fit, no probs.
Thanks Lucy, i'll get on to the web-site and get them ordered ASAP, well, that is when I decide which pair to buy, but they all seem to look very similar, just like the ones I already have. Where do you get the sparkly ones? x

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
20th-July-2005, 04:57 PM
Why would you buy shoes off the Net? Not a hostile question :flower: . I have wide feet so I have to try before I buy.

Simple, better value for money. And, my feet seem to be a normal width, just that bloody half size is a pain in the backside.

Lynn
20th-July-2005, 05:15 PM
Ash - depends on what you are ordering - might be worth seeing if anyone you know has shoes you like and trying them for size first, then look online for the same make and size that fits. Eg Bloch trainers are strange sizes... I have narrow fitting feet and found a lot of makes too wide. Solved this by getting Freed in a 1/2 size smaller. (Thanks to Alfie for that suggestion)

I love dance shoes. Weird as with regular shoes I wear what is comfy/cheap/practical and wear them til they are done - rarely buy new ones (unless I see them for £3 in Primark or £5 in New Look sales!)

But dance shoes - I get a lot of pleasure from buying and wearing them. Not just the 'dance better in them' side (I spin better esp) but the look, style etc. :clap:

I love dance shoe shopping - just ask Andy - he's seen me in action!

So I have... Bloch trainers, jazz shoes, and (gulp!) 4 Freed pairs - black strappy, same in gold, black covered toe, same in red. And of course I have a pair of black and whites :rofl: :whistle:

I love my red ones, bought in June at Southport. I wear a lot of black when dancing - and the red shoes really stand out!

Icey
20th-July-2005, 05:22 PM
I've got the dance trainers and a pair of the character shoes which are both fab but I'm after a strappy / snazzy pair. I got my trainers from ebay for £26 they were sold as a 7 but actually are a 6½ so a little snug but still very comfortable. A friend of mine got her dance trainers from ebay too for only £8. Talk about a bargain!

Can anyone recommend a shop in London that's good to go to? I live West London area so can go anywhere on the tube. I'm looking for somewhere that has a wide selection to choose from.

Thanks

Sheepman
20th-July-2005, 05:24 PM
Last time I checked (which was some time ago). I think it was 18 pairs, but I have managed to curb my buying for about a year now :eek:

I have a definite feeling of deja vu about this thread...

Greg

Lynn
20th-July-2005, 05:27 PM
I have a definite feeling of deja vu about this thread... There was a thread once about how many pairs of shoes do you own, not sure if there has been a dance shoe specific one - but even if so, its time for another one as we have probably all bought more since then!

Little Monkey
20th-July-2005, 05:41 PM
I've got four pairs.

One pair of BLACK AND WHITE "jive hoppers" (1 or 1/2 inch heels?), one pair of black & glittery open toe ballroom shoes (for when I want to be girly and wear a skirt or dress, 2 inch heels), one pair of black "character shoes" with 2 inch heels that go with anything, and one pair of flat jazz/practice type shoes.

I'd love a pair of red and white Bleyers, as I think they look fab, but that type doesn't fit my foot very well. :sad: Would also like a pair of silver glittery shoes with 2 inch cuban heel....

LM

tsh
20th-July-2005, 06:12 PM
None at the moment... I'm waiting for my pair of Bloch trainers to be replaced, and finding it quite exciting as my ordinary leather soled shoes seem to be getting more and more polished.

Sean

KatieR
20th-July-2005, 07:01 PM
In order of Purchase:

1) My sparkly silver ballroom shoes
2) Pair of black practice ballroom shoes
3) My very first pair of bloch trainers, blue.
4) A pair of navy chorus bloch character shoes.
5) Second pair of bloch trainers, black
6) Blue diamante ballroom shoes
7) Strappy black stilletto tango shoes.
8) Tan bloch Chord T Bar dance shoes.
9) Black and White Tango Shoes all the way from Buenos Aires

Some where left in Australia as i didn't have enough room in my suitcase and some were purchased here :)

Stuart
20th-July-2005, 09:45 PM
I've just got my one pair of Blochs, which I bought off the Internet for convenience.

Unfortunately the original pair had to go back because there was a mix up on the sizes. I naturally thought they were UK sizes, but they turned out to be American. Anyway it was soon sorted.

Lou
20th-July-2005, 10:19 PM
Oooh! A thread about shoes! :D

Why would you buy shoes off the Net? :clap: eBay! :clap:

And to get interesting ones that might not be available locally... :)

Current shoes (in order of how often they get an outing these days):

Black & Silver Bloch DRTs
Black Heavenly Mock Croc Spanking Shoes
Red Rumpf Flamencos
Mesh Sided Lady Godiva Lace-ups
Black & Silver Bloch Slipstreams
Black Suede Salsa Heavenlies
Black Bloch Stealths
Purple Sparkly t-bar Heavenlies
Freed Lace Up Cubans
Gandalfi Lace Up Cubans
Pewter Donnie & Gaynor ballroom things.
Black & Silver sparkly t-bar Freed things
Scabby cream & gold t-bar Katz things.
Ancient black ankle strapped character shoes
And a scruffy pair of Katz split soled jazz shoes which have seen far better days, but are v. comfy.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
21st-July-2005, 10:08 AM
Oooh! A thread about shoes! :D
:clap: eBay! :clap:

And to get interesting ones that might not be available locally... :)

Current shoes (in order of how often they get an outing these days):

Black & Silver Bloch DRTs
Black Heavenly Mock Croc Spanking Shoes
Red Rumpf Flamencos
Mesh Sided Lady Godiva Lace-ups
Black & Silver Bloch Slipstreams
Black Suede Salsa Heavenlies
Black Bloch Stealths
Purple Sparkly t-bar Heavenlies
Freed Lace Up Cubans
Gandalfi Lace Up Cubans
Pewter Donnie & Gaynor ballroom things.
Black & Silver sparkly t-bar Freed things
Scabby cream & gold t-bar Katz things.
Ancient black ankle strapped character shoes
And a scruffy pair of Katz split soled jazz shoes which have seen far better days, but are v. comfy.

Wow, what a fatastic selection of shoes, you should be very proud ;) Although, i'm not sure i'd feel right about buying shoes off Ebay, you get no guarantee they'd be the right size, or if they'd be in good condition. You always had good experiences with Ebay Lou?

Bex
21st-July-2005, 10:55 AM
Can anyone recommend a shop in London that's good to go to? I live West London area so can go anywhere on the tube. I'm looking for somewhere that has a wide selection to choose from.

Thanks

Hi Icey,

IMO the best place to go for dance shoes is Heavenly Dance Shoes in South Oxhey, Watford. They hand make them for you in approx 1 week, you can choose any style, material (leather, suede, glitter etc), buckle, sole, strap and heel height. You can order online, www.heavenlydanceshoes.com but best to go over there and try some on, if you're not sure of your size, just draw round your foot and they'll make them for a perfect fit.

They are a bit pricey, approx £50 but well worth it!!!

Bex

drathzel
21st-July-2005, 11:19 AM
I have 11 pairs of dance shoes, approx 1 pair per month i have been dancing..... scary! (11 months next week)

Lou
21st-July-2005, 11:46 AM
You always had good experiences with Ebay Lou?
Yup, in general. :) The purple sparklies were an absolute bargain - under half of what you'd expect to pay for a pair of Heavenlies, and they'd only been worn once. The Gandolfis, again, were under half price and brand new. The cream & gold things were very very cheap, which is the only reason I went for them. ;)

Dizzy
21st-July-2005, 12:00 PM
I have one pair of silver sparkly dancing shoes (so far!!) and I bought them from ebay. They were brand new and I didn't have any problems with them and they fit perfectly!! :clap:

ebay - such a good invention !! :worthy:

Lynn
21st-July-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Icey,

IMO the best place to go for dance shoes is Heavenly Dance Shoes in South Oxhey, Watford. They hand make them for you in approx 1 week, you can choose any style, material (leather, suede, glitter etc), buckle, sole, strap and heel height. You can order online, www.heavenlydanceshoes.com but best to go over there and try some on, if you're not sure of your size, just draw round your foot and they'll make them for a perfect fit.

They are a bit pricey, approx £50 but well worth it!!!

Bex I presume then they can make them a more narrow fit (I find many dance shoes a bit wide). I'm sure at some stage I will get a pair of them, and if I am ever in the area, I would have to.

Lynn
21st-July-2005, 12:08 PM
Yup, in general. :) Mostly good then!?

I've spent time looking at dance shoes on Ebay - never bought any. I wouldn't like to get a pair that might not fit, but if I saw a pair that I knew from my own shoes/others etc that would fit, I might. I tend to buy shoes when I go on weekenders, all part of the fun of weekenders! I remember I got my first suede soled pair last Sep at my second weekender and it was so fab as it really helped my spinning (must work on that!)

Can't wear dancing shoes (other than trainers) dancing salsa here as the floors are mostly too dirty - so my shoes aren't getting worn much - therefore running out of 'reasons' to get any more! :whistle:

drathzel
21st-July-2005, 12:20 PM
:yeah: :yeah:

Lou
21st-July-2005, 01:46 PM
I presume then they can make them a more narrow fit (I find many dance shoes a bit wide). I'm sure at some stage I will get a pair of them, and if I am ever in the area, I would have to.
According to their website:

Our shoes are available in medium, wide and extra wide fittings including narrow for ladies sandals. :grin:

Gojive
21st-July-2005, 09:40 PM
I have 4 pairs.

Two pairs of classic ballroom style shoes (with suede soles), one pair of Bloch trainers that I use for workshops, and 1 pair of apparently hotshot shoes.

I wear the ballroom shoes to general Jive nights - they are so comfortable

I wear the Bloch trainers to give me extra floor grip in workshops (especially when learning dips/drops)

and finally.....

I wear my B&W's at weekenders, together with (usually) a white shirt, black trousers, and a white belt :eek:

Lynn
21st-July-2005, 10:11 PM
According to their website... I'm sure I will get a pair at some point - maybe for a special occasion. I like the fact you can pick colour/style/heel height etc.

And like the Scotty sig.

JonD
22nd-July-2005, 09:37 AM
Phew! Thank you - I was beginning to think I had a dance shoe obsession but I now realise that I'm a total lightweight compared to you lot. I've only got 9 pairs.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
22nd-July-2005, 10:19 AM
Does anyone have a pair of these TE2 by Sansha, Prima Teaching Shoes? I found them on a dance web-site, and wondered if they would be any good for classes/freestyles.

Chicklet
24th-July-2005, 11:36 AM

E-bay gives one two options - shops often sell new/ unworn shoes in discontinued styles at reduced prices, say £40 for a pair of £65 Blochs but if you want to experiment why not keep an eye out for "preworn" shoes being sold by private sellers who either don't dance anymore or are selling shoes they bought and tried but that just don't fit....if you can get past the idea of wearing "preworn" shoes - which admittedly isn't easy for everyone, this can be a cheaper way of picking up a shoe stlye you haven't tried before, I have seen perfectly good Blochs, worn maybe five or six times, bought full price, sell on e-bay at £24 :whistle: . If you then find a style you like, you could then buy a full price shop pair?
The other thing to remember is that if they don't work out, you can cut your losses and flog em the same way to recoup at least some of the cost the next week! I would certainly recommend this to anyone wanting to try heels for the first time for example.

(and can report buying a pair for about £10, them turning out to be a little small and getting £14 for them when I put them back up :blush: )

C (an e-bay addict, not an empolyee!)