PDA

View Full Version : private lessons in Scotland - who gives 'em?

JoC
19th-July-2005, 01:25 PM
Just curious... :whistle:

(Sooooo many questions building up...)

(pm me if you prefer)

drathzel
19th-July-2005, 01:26 PM
I was asked by a beginner one night... still trying to work out which type of lessons he meant :whistle:

JoC
19th-July-2005, 01:29 PM
I was asked by a beginner one night... still trying to work out which type of lessons he meant :whistle:
drathzel you're a perpetual saucy minx :rofl:

drathzel
19th-July-2005, 01:56 PM
drathzel you're a perpetual saucy minx :rofl:

actually it never dawned on me till later that night i was joking saying to franck and he pointed out thats what he could mean :innocent:

JoC
19th-July-2005, 02:00 PM
actually it never dawned on me till later that night i was joking saying to franck and he pointed out thats what he could mean :innocent:
in that case... that Franck, he's a perpetual saucy minx :rofl:

Franck
19th-July-2005, 02:18 PM
Just curious... :whistle:

(Sooooo many questions building up...)

(pm me if you prefer)Private lessons can be arranged with any Ceroc teacher in Scotland, and although it is not widely advertised, most of us have given lessons in the past. The best approach would be to identify a teacher from whom you would like to learn and email / phone me to arrange it.
Private lessons are getting more popular in recent years, and while I think they don't necessarily offer better value than a workshop, or sometimes a quick chat at the end of the night, they can make a huge difference.

Cheers, :nice:

Andy McGregor
19th-July-2005, 02:22 PM
In my experience the way you get a private lesson is to ask a teacher you like if they will give you a private lesson.

IMHO, a private lesson is to help people with their bad habits or to work on a particular aspect of a person's dancing - usually it's obvious what needs work after a few minutes of dancing. Therefore a lesson that lasts longer than 30mins is usually unnecessary unless you're learning a routine. I give private lessons in the 30 mins before the start of a dance class for free at our nights. I'm going to be there anyway, I've got the hall already so I just need to turn up a bit early. Why do I do it for free? Because people's expectation of a lesson they pay £30-£50 for is much greater than anything they could ever get out of an hour's individual tuition. I expect people to get a single thing out of a single private lesson - but they expect it to transform their dancing - quite different expectations, but I've found I'm usually right :wink: :cool:

JoC
19th-July-2005, 04:19 PM
Private lessons can be arranged with any Ceroc teacher in Scotland, and although it is not widely advertised, most of us have given lessons in the past. The best approach would be to identify a teacher from whom you would like to learn and email / phone me to arrange it.
Private lessons are getting more popular in recent years, and while I think they don't necessarily offer better value than a workshop, or sometimes a quick chat at the end of the night, they can make a huge difference.

Cheers, :nice:
Thanks Franck, this I did not know. :)

5 minutes here and there would be fantastic but I have so many questions I figured I should maybe save them up for a captive audience (I'm also impatient). I don't want to bother you teachers every weeknight class (well I do want to really which is why I might organise a lesson! :D )

So I've started my wishlist, and so far I need a lesson from virtually every teacher who's ever taught me... I don't think I'll have a problem identifying things I want to learn at least. :grin:

Think the extremely subtle advertising made me wonder if teachers want to give private lessons, because I'd rather not ask a teacher who doesn't want to. (Thus hopefully avoiding feelings of dejection, self-pity and hopelessness, devastation, self-loathing etc etc etc... ;) )

JoC
19th-July-2005, 04:20 PM
Because people's expectation of a lesson they pay £30-£50 for is much greater than anything they could ever get out of an hour's individual tuition. I expect people to get a single thing out of a single private lesson - but they expect it to transform their dancing - quite different expectations, but I've found I'm usually right :wink: :cool:
Health warning noted. :)

Piglet
20th-July-2005, 10:39 AM
Just to add - I asked for private lessons from TheTramp because he has always been great at giving me advice on my dancing so I reckoned getting a proper lesson would be a decent way to conciously improve my dancing.

I went along with my competition dance partner, with the competition in mind, but we were very vague in what we wanted because we didn't know any better really. So Steve watched us dance and then made notes on where we could improve.

You are probably ahead of me if you have a list of questions you want answered, but I can highly recommend getting advice in this way. We took a lot away from our first lesson with him, appreciated his honest comments and advice and we're both looking forward to lesson number 2!

If we had more time to spare I'm sure we'd do more. :D