PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Venue

Paul F
17th-July-2005, 06:41 PM
Lets say someone was going to build a 'purpose built' super club.

What would you want to see?

I would love to get a comprehensive list. Dont forget this would be purpose built so the orientation of the floor, stage, seating etc are all negotiable.

I want to get a 'wish list' if you will :drool:

Of course if we are going to build this super club ( we being all of us ;) ) we need exact details. For example, if you want free water ....how do you want it? Via a bar, water fountain etc?

If you want tables, should they be round or rectangular?

Do you want changing rooms, balcony and so on?

This was something that was mentioned previously but I am after detail, detail, detail .....within reason :whistle:

If we take a brick or two each we can do it :wink:

Little Monkey
17th-July-2005, 07:28 PM
Ummmmm.......

About three (?) different rooms (one large, two smaller, to be used for 'taxi classes', smaller workshops, or extra dance rooms at big parties? At least one with mirrored walls for workshop/practice purposes!) with dance floors (nice sprung floors, of course), with doors opening up to balconies or patios outside, so one could dance outside in summer.

Seating area outside to use in summer, and nice seating area by the bar(s) a little away from the dancefloors (and speakers) for breaks and chatting in between dancing.

Very good aircondition.

Bar(s) with free water - pitchers is ok, or water fountains, but keep them a good distance from the dance floor so the floor won't get wet. Also a good selection of soft drinks as well as alcoholic.

Changing rooms with showers - very handy if you're doing weekend workshops and then a party in the evening. Oh, and full-length mirrors, so you can see how your dance outfit looks!

Snack bar selling light meals and ICE CREAM!!!! :drool:

Good cleaning staff who know how to clean dance floors properly! I'm soooooo fed up with sticky floors.... :angry:

Raised stage by each dance floor - big one by the main floor, for live bands etc.... :cool:

And personally I prefer round tables to long rectangular ones, as it makes it easier to chat to people.

None of those very annoying flashing lights on the dance floor that just make you dizzy.... :angry:

No barriers, poles, or walls of any kind around the dance floor, as they restrict the space you can use on the floor...

NO SMOKING inside or anywhere near the entrance - but maybe a designated smoking area (sheltered) for our poor nicotine-enslaved fellow dancers?

I'm sure I can think of another dozen things in about a minute or so....

LM

Minnie M
17th-July-2005, 07:30 PM
Except for the floor, which is soon to be renovated etc., I reckon Dorking Halls fits the bill

1. Very large dance area with sprung floor

2. Enough tables to put drinks on and to sit round

3. Enough seats in the gaps of the tables

4. Good air conditioning

5. Good stage, high enough for all to see

6. Gallery - so you can watch dancers without having to worry about refusing dances

7. Chillout area with lots of comfee seats

8. A bar that sells coffee/teas all evening and sells yummy cakes

9. FREE water ALL night

10. Ample and FREE parking next to venue

11. Easy to find venue

12. Clean toilets with hot water and PAPER towels (+ lots of actual toilets)

13. Good acustics

14. Good lighting

15. Second room for swing/blues dancing or second class

Paul F
17th-July-2005, 08:14 PM
What a great way to start us off :clap:
Im notgoing to include the cleaning, no-smoking etc as that would be without question.

So...the 'FORUM' perfect venue, so far, has:

- A large, sprung floor in the main room
- 3 rooms (1 large, 2 smaller - 1 mirrored)
- 1 main stage (high), 2 smaller in each room adjacent to dance floor
- Veranda with seating (attached to main hall)
- Bar with seating set back from dancefloors
- Very good air-con
- Well stocked bar with free water (as its away from dancefloor)
- Changing rooms with showers and full length mirrors
- Snack bar selling light meals and ice cream
- Round tables
- Extra perimeter chairs
- No supports ie. columns, pillars etc
- Outdoor smoking area
- Gallery
- Chillout room with comfy sofas
- Ample free parking
- Good transport links
- Toilets with paper towels and hot water
- Well balanced acoustics
- Subtle lighting (inbuilt) - can be added onto by DJ

Is this really the PERFECT venue considering we have free reign on this?

-------------------------------
Couple of questions :

1. Good transport links - Does it have to be near a motorway?
2. Chillout room - Is this a different room than the bar and dancefloor?
3. Bar which is set back - is this in its own room?
4. Are all rooms wooden floored or should we have some carpet sidings?
5. Gallery - isnt a perimeter balcony better ?
6. Air con - Is this deluged from above? Is it just on the dancefloor?

and fundamentally

7. What shape are the rooms - rectangular, square, circular?

We have to make the benchmark for which all venues are to be judged. This cant be it.....could it? What else would anyone like to see?

JoC
17th-July-2005, 08:33 PM
Pool, jacuzzi, masseurs...

Paul F
17th-July-2005, 08:36 PM
Pool, jacuzzi, masseurs...

Although that would be really nice :grin: I doubt it would happen. :sad:

I was kind of thinking about things that would benefit (and be sustainable) on a daily basis. You can get these things on a weekender but this is just a dance venue really :blush:

David Bailey
17th-July-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm sorry, but all this is missing the point (although it does make me :drool: ).

The perfect venue is the place where the perfect set of dancers is - everything else plays about 15th fiddle to that.

Paul F
17th-July-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry, but all this is missing the point (although it does make me :drool: ).

The perfect venue is the place where the perfect set of dancers is - everything else plays about 15th fiddle to that.

Definately agree :cheers: but surely we need to start somewhere that can attract these dancer, atmosphere and so on.
If the above venue existed near you would you ever go anywhere else?

JoC
17th-July-2005, 08:54 PM
Although that would be really nice :grin: I doubt it would happen. :sad:

I was kind of thinking about things that would benefit (and be sustainable) on a daily basis. You can get these things on a weekender but this is just a dance venue really :blush:
Oops! Didn't realise it was a serious question :blush:
I've thought showers before, be great if you want to go straight from work. At the moment for getting scrubbed up I have a choice of going to a friends, going to the leisure pool, or having an extensive 'sink' wash in the bathroom at work which is fine, but as this is a wish list... Soon moving to an office with a shower mind you :clap: . Would also be handy for scrubbing up between busking/workshopping and partying out of town, in a perfect world...

Paul F
17th-July-2005, 09:12 PM
Oops! Didn't realise it was a serious question :blush:

Well its not really a serious question (sorry to make you blush :hug: ) but I am really interested to peoples perception of the perfect venue.

With all the talk of venues being more than simple facilities I am wondering what it would take to ensure people would travel to this venue. You never know, if we come up with some realistic options someone may deliver!

Also it may give potential organisers food for thought when selecting a new venue. Ok, there will not be anything like what we have here but you cant make a judgement on what you have without seeing what you want !

ducasi
17th-July-2005, 09:43 PM
1. Good transport links - Does it have to be near a motorway? Not especially, but it does need to be near a town centre with a train station nearby.

7. What shape are the rooms - rectangular, square, circular? I can't think what difference it makes. How about octagonal, with the actual dance floor being rectangular across the width (east-west), the stage on the south side, the entrance opposite to the north, and the rest given over to seating? That'd be cool. :waycool:

Not that I've given this much thought... :nice:

Lucy Locket
17th-July-2005, 10:16 PM

I would love to get a comprehensive list. Dont forget this would be purpose built so the orientation of the floor, stage, seating etc are all negotiable.

Of course if we are going to build this super club ( we being all of us ;) ) we need exact details. For example, if you want free water ....how do you want it? Via a bar, water fountain etc?

This was something that was mentioned previously but I am after detail, detail, detail .....within reason :whistle:

I've got bricks left over from building my extension, so that's a start. :rofl:
Even got a spare window. :clap:

Minnie M
17th-July-2005, 10:34 PM
We are talking about a perfect venue - a good venue will create a good atmospher and with the right people will prove to be the perfect night.

For me personally, I would prefer to dance were there is a decent wooden floor with no sticky patches, an area that you can cool down/decent fans or air con and clean toilets

JoC
17th-July-2005, 11:32 PM
I am also now accustomed to dancing at a venue with huge chandeliers so that would be another requirement for me.*posh smiley*

Paul F
17th-July-2005, 11:35 PM
I've got bricks left over from building my extension, so that's a start. :rofl:
Even got a spare window. :clap:

we could build a single moveable wall and just wheel it round as a wind break. :) The window can just be for effect.

bobgadjet
18th-July-2005, 12:57 AM
OK, here goes.............

A bar that is NOT in the same room so that the bar staff can hear your order, and you dont have to SHOUT, as the SOUND system would THE BEST money could buy.

Speakers all around the dance area so you are never far away from the FEEL of the music, and above, pointing down so as not to be dangerous to the ear.

A DJ booth that has plenty of room, and a good supply of pens and paper for requests OR better still, request panels round the room linked to the DJ booth, so that you can select a request for the DJ to play without having to go to them ! ! !

A huge digital store of ALL the best dance tunes.

A HUGE hall that can be sub-divided into smaller rooms to accomodate larger or smaller numbers of dancers. Say 3 halls for weekday / teaching events and a larger hall for freestyles.

Brilliant acoustics is a MUST.

A NO SMOKING area well away from the dancfloors, drinking OR eating areas.

A comfy lounge type area for chillout and chat

Tea and coffee always available, as would be the soft drinks maybe at a different bar.

a free self service ice cream machine, and CHOCOLATE machine

A fresh fruit stall

a nutricious food stall for light snacks

a dancewear stall with changing rooms

A balcony to look down on others, or just to maybe practice moves on

A good amount of secure and well lit FREE parking.

Near to major motorway and public transport connections.

Filtered water on tap FREE, so we can fill our own bottles.

A stage that is high enough to be seen from all angles, and screen repeating the stage scene in remote areas, so you can just watch if you want.

The stage being able to be retracted after the lesson, and be well lit during the lesson withot blingin the teachers

Pleasant mood changing lights on the dance area, rather than annoying flashing ones.

good changing rooms and toilets.

small swimming pool, sauna, massage area all professionally attended

secure cloakroom with shoe changing facilities

and this would all be available for just £5 a night as the venue would be non profit making.

having thought about this one a little..........how about making a bid for the Dome as a starter ?

:rofl:

Minnie M
18th-July-2005, 08:05 AM
Oh - forgot to mention, my near perfect venue "Dorking Halls" is next door to a very big and modern swimming pool :clap: :clap:

David Bailey
18th-July-2005, 09:47 AM
Re: dance floor shape:

I can't think what difference it makes. How about octagonal, with the actual dance floor being rectangular across the width (east-west), the stage on the south side, the entrance opposite to the north, and the rest given over to seating? That'd be cool. :waycool:
Hmmm, most floors are square-ish, (actually, usually obling-ish) because that's the shape of most halls. But that does mean that people tend to clump a bit at the ends, it takes more time to get on and off the centre bits, and may not encourage circulation.

How about something radical like a donut shape - people can sit in the middle "hole" (where the bar is) and dance on the inside and outside of the circle?

Not that I've given this much thought... :nice:
Up until 1 minute ago, neither had I :innocent:

Lynn
18th-July-2005, 10:01 AM
Venues...

NOT - small crowded dance floor, very dirty and sticky, with some rather drunk non dancers 'giving it a go', extremely smoky, music overly loud, no air con, bar too busy, not enough seats and twice as many women as men. So you perch on a seat near the back, have shouted conversations with friends as you peer through the smoke haze seeing if anyone you know is available for a dance, then get stood on and elbowed within 30 seconds of venturing up to dance...

Did I mention why I don't do salsa anymore? :whistle:

Donna
18th-July-2005, 10:39 AM

Hmmm now lets see....yes changing rooms is a great idea plus showers. Er....a cocktail bar would be great. :rofl: A swimming pool so everyone can cool off after. :grin: A burger bar outside the venue cuz everyone complains they feel hungry after a good workout don't they?? Ice creams as well!!! :na: All venues should have a few dance shoes and costumes on display not just on the freestyle nights but in classes too. :flower:

Purple Sparkler
18th-July-2005, 10:42 AM
Just a few ideas of my own:

Retractable teaching stage but also some spangly, sprung-floor, big podiums that can be raised up on freestyle nights for those of us who quite like sneaking up for a dance on the stage. Just a couple of them, in the big room.

Sofas in the gallery.

All of the above to be available free in the Ladies: Toupee tape, sewing equipment, tights (from a free dispenser), deodorant, mints/toothpaste & disposable toothbrush, perfume samples (because you only need a little bit), well lit magnifying mirrors. And if this is the dream perfect venue, there will be a team of hairstylists in the gallery so we can arrive early and get a perfect blow-dry that doesn't then collapse like a wet paper towel when we go outside in order to get to the venue.

A free taxi service to take them as can't drive home at the END of freestyle nights so that we can stay longer.

Connected with Bob's digital song-store- a touch-screen request thing on front of the DJ booth. You'd enter your name, and the song you wanted. There would be a large screen behind the DJ booth which would flash up your name and the fact that YOUR request was the next song (if it was being played), so you have time to position yourself for grabbing the person you want to dance with. If you don't want to request, you could also go up to the touchscreen and see what was already on the playlist, and specify which is your favourite song- the flashing-up would happen for that too, again to allow grabbing-time, so that you have a much better chance of dancing to your favourite song with someone you like.

Lynn
18th-July-2005, 10:46 AM
A free taxi service to take them as can't drive home at the END of freestyle nights so that we can stay longer. Well... if we are talking dream venues... a freestyle night that doesn't end? :grin:

(OK, I know it has to end sometime...)

DavidY
18th-July-2005, 01:11 PM
This was something that was mentioned previously but I am after detail, detail, detailNot sure whether this was what Paul means, but here is a HarperLink to the Ideal Dance Venues (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1398) thread for those who haven't seen it.

Petal
18th-July-2005, 01:26 PM

Who's going to define the "perfect set of dancers"? :whistle:

Petal
18th-July-2005, 01:30 PM
Well... if we are talking dream venues... a freestyle night that doesn't end? :grin:

(OK, I know it has to end sometime...)

Now, coming from a experienced "southportee" , i thought you would know better. :rofl:

David Bailey
18th-July-2005, 02:33 PM
Who's going to define the "perfect set of dancers"? :whistle:
Me, obviously. :whistle:

Petal
18th-July-2005, 03:14 PM
Me, obviously. :whistle:

You're perfect? :rolleyes:

David Bailey
19th-July-2005, 06:50 AM
You're perfect? :rolleyes:
I'm perfect for deciding who my perfect set of dancers are :)

Petal
19th-July-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm perfect for deciding who my perfect set of dancers are :)

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: ;)

MartinHarper
19th-July-2005, 09:22 AM
The "stage" in the middle of the room, so more folks can see the teachers, and see them better. I have a vision of something rising out of the floor for the classes, and sinking back into invisibility for the freestyles.

DavidY
15th-October-2005, 11:02 AM
I came across a BIG wooden floor this week.

Apparently it was originally the Duke of Devonshire's riding stables in Buxton - totally circular area with rooms round the outside which used to be stables.

The circular bit used to be open but now has a big dome over it, bigger than the one at St Paul's Cathedral, leaving an enclosed space with a wooden floor. It became a hospital and is now being converted into a college building (part of University of Derby).

In the old days, if you rode your horse round the edge of the circle it was apparently one furlong round - in square metres thats... a lot! (I'll let someone else do the maths.)

They also apparently have a spa and baths underneath (which are still being renovated)

Not sure if they've ever thought of having a dance there yet though (and not sure what the accoustics are like in a dome).

El Salsero Gringo
15th-October-2005, 11:11 AM
I came across a BIG wooden floor this week.

In the old days, if you rode your horse round the edge of the circle it was apparently one furlong round - in square metres thats... a lot! (I'll let someone else do the maths.)

According to Wikipedia, a furlong is 201.168 metres.

A circle with a circumference of 1 furlong would cover an area of roughly 3220 square metres, assuming space-time to be locally flat.

DavidY
15th-October-2005, 04:10 PM
assuming space-time to be locally flat.:yeah: Dance floors built over discontinuities in the space-time continuum are the worst kind.
It's really disconcerting to look across the dance floor to see yourself dancing to the previous track, and it can be quite tricky to dance in time with the music. :whistle:

BobbyA
15th-October-2005, 04:31 PM
I dunno if i missed it, but what about a room with a few computers so you can be lazy and chat on here too :P

Also a webcam feed to internet for those curious to know what goes on in a dance without going to a class :P.