PDA

View Full Version : Empty vessels make most noise?

Gus
16th-July-2005, 03:45 PM
OK .. its was a choice between focusing on doing my admin and tax or launching a controversial thread .... guess which won :whistle:

Over a few pints the subject of some prolific posters and their quality of their postings was raised. It was noted that true dance sages such as DavidB posted seldom but well. Other posters seem to set themselves up as dance gurus but their real world capabilities fall far short of their ‘apparent expertise. Is there a direct (or partial) correlation between quantity of postings and quality? Please avoid mentioning individuals …. but there does seem to be some blazing examples. (Oops … just noticed my postings total :eek: :wink: )

El Salsero Gringo
16th-July-2005, 04:22 PM
OK .. its was a choice between focusing on doing my admin and tax or launching a controversial thread .... guess which won :whistle:

Over a few pints the subject of some prolific posters and their quality of their postings was raised. It was noted that true dance sages such as DavidB posted seldom but well. Other posters seem to set themselves up as dance gurus but their real world capabilities fall far short of their ‘apparent expertise. Is there a direct (or partial) correlation between quantity of postings and quality?Do you mean an inverse correlation? Either way: no.
Please avoid mentioning individuals …. but there does seem to be some blazing examples.Why? Are you scared of controversy, in your controversial thread? If you want to be rude about someone, go right ahead. That's better than allusion and half-assed innuendo.
(Oops … just noticed my postings total :eek: :wink: )I've never read anything you've written as claiming an expertise you don't have. In fact I've never noticed *anyone* claim to be a dance-guru on this website - not even DavidB. People ask for opinions, and that's what they get.

Good luck with the admin.

Jive Brummie
16th-July-2005, 04:30 PM
*ouch*

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Gus....long time no speak?

J. :worthy:

Andy McGregor
16th-July-2005, 05:38 PM
So when is Gus going to launch this "controversial thread" and what will it be about :confused:

Gus
16th-July-2005, 06:22 PM
So when is Gus going to launch this "controversial thread" and what will it be about :confused:
Challenge accepted .... see "Ceroc should take the UK" thread.

David Bailey
16th-July-2005, 09:31 PM
The admin? :innocent:

Is there a direct (or partial) correlation between quantity of postings and quality?
Possibly - for example, mentioning one individual, I post reams, most of it's junk. I don't care, I like to post. There's a song there somewhere...

That's better than allusion
I believe that's the first time I've ever seen someone write that word.

Also, what on earth happened to your avatar? Is it an onion or what?? :eek:

LMC
16th-July-2005, 09:42 PM
*open for business*

sweet, salted, toffee, or even onion flavour
popcorn-flavoured ice-cream also available

Lory
16th-July-2005, 11:12 PM
Over a few pints the subject of some prolific posters and their quality of their postings was raised.
I wondered why my ears felt hot :sick:

Seriously though, I am aware that it must be really annoying for those people who are mainly into the serious technical and business sides of dance, to have to wade through all my nonsense :blush:

So, starting from tomorrow, I promise to make a conscious effort to cut the cr@p out! :innocent:

MartinHarper
16th-July-2005, 11:22 PM
Is there a direct (or partial) correlation between quantity of postings and quality?

Those who can, do, those who can't, post?

Maybe, alongside "location", we should have "dancing level"? That way, folks wouldn't mistake online confidence for real world ability. I suppose that would depend on the forum dance gods finally admitting that they aren't "beginners" any more.

Lou
16th-July-2005, 11:36 PM
Seriously though, I am aware that it must be really annoying for those people who are mainly into the serious technical and business sides of dance, to have to wade through all my nonsense :blush:

So, starting from tomorrow, I promise to make a conscious effort to cut the cr@p out! :innocent:
:sad: I like the frivolous stuff.

I hate metaposts - those posts about posting to the forum. I just think people should stop worrying and just get on with it. :)

drathzel
17th-July-2005, 01:31 AM
[i] Other posters seem to set themselves up as dance gurus but their real world capabilities fall far short of their ‘apparent expertise.

:yeah: Have met at least one

Tiggerbabe
17th-July-2005, 01:49 AM
Is it an onion or what?? :eek:
I believe it's a turnip - and very respectable :wink:

Dance Demon
17th-July-2005, 07:16 AM
Maybe, alongside "location", we should have "dancing level"? That way, folks wouldn't mistake online confidence for real world ability.

:rofl: :rofl: I can just see it now..........

Location.......In front of the stage
Dancing level....Hotshot

bigdjiver
17th-July-2005, 08:52 AM
Ceroc is a dance instruction organisation. The most important opinions come from those that cannot dance at all. but would love it if they did.

Gadget
17th-July-2005, 03:03 PM
Other posters seem to set themselves up as dance gurus but their real world capabilities fall far short of their ‘apparent expertise.
:rolleyes:If it wasn't true, I could take offense at that :na:

Lynn
17th-July-2005, 04:36 PM
Those who can, do, those who can't, post? Sadly true in my case. :tears: Going weeks, or even months, without dancing, is just that little bit easier if I can at least talk about it on here. And look at my nice dance shoes...

bigdjiver
17th-July-2005, 06:04 PM
Those who can, do, those who can't, post?...Those that cannot think about it, try to learn, read as well as post.

Those with a massive talent often cannot explain how they do it, sometimes they do not even know how they do it. Those that have had to struggle at every stage, that know what it is to fail as well as to succeed, who know and and have suffered all of the problems often have the endurance and patience and drive and the expertise that it takes to be a good teacher.

Tessalicious
18th-July-2005, 12:39 AM
Those that cannot think about it, try to learn, read as well as post.

Those with a massive talent often cannot explain how they do it, sometimes they do not even know how they do it. Those that have had to struggle at every stage, that know what it is to fail as well as to succeed, who know and and have suffered all of the problems often have the endurance and patience and drive and the expertise that it takes to be a good teacher.Very well said, I feel. Although it is often very useful to read a single, well-explained post by an expert in the subject, this is a forum, the point of which is discussion - that is, for people who have an opinion, formed either by hours/weeks/years of hard work or by intuition, to express it and receive and give feedback on their opinions and those of others - not for everyone to be told by a guru 'This is the correct opinion, so therefore there is no longer any need to discuss this topic'. No single user of a public forum like this one has the right to say that any other user should be restricted from having or expressing their opinions, whether they agree with them or not. People post because they want to, that is their moderator-given right, and if you don't want to read what they said, don't - but don't tell them not to write it.

Furthermore, only 3 'rooms' on here are specifically dedicated to dancing alone - we also discuss music, literature, travel, politics, technology, gatherings, birthdays, relationships, gossip, rude jokes, in fact anything related to life in general - and I think even an ODA can concede that everyone knows at least a bit about at least one of those subjects...

Daisy Chain
18th-July-2005, 07:52 PM
:sad: I like the frivolous stuff.

You avatar looks just like me when the bees have dropped pollen all over my petals. :flower:

Daisy

(A Seriously Frivolous Little Flower)

Magic Hans
18th-July-2005, 09:42 PM
.... In fact I've never noticed *anyone* claim to be a dance-guru on this website - not even DavidB. People ask for opinions, and that's what they get.

Good luck with the admin.

Well, no!!! Not everyone is a guru, but it would seem that some are.
Those who don't claim to be, might be.
Those who do claim to be, definitely are not!!

.... or so I've been told!!

.... for the record, I am definitely not a guru of anything in any sense of the word!! :D