PDA

View Full Version : Help - Reps?

Msfab
15th-July-2005, 02:57 PM
When should one rep a ceroc forum user? :confused:

mooncalf
15th-July-2005, 03:00 PM

When you want to stay at their house for the weekend.

ducasi
15th-July-2005, 03:01 PM
When they something that changes their reputation in your eyes. How's that?

Trousers
15th-July-2005, 03:02 PM
ermmmm if you fancy them!

Msfab
15th-July-2005, 03:03 PM
When they want to stay at your house for the weekend.

Is that a Threat, mooncalf? :rolleyes:

mooncalf
15th-July-2005, 03:07 PM
Is that a Threat, mooncalf? :rolleyes:

No. I was only trying to help someone in dilemma. Do you want to stay at my house?

Gadget
15th-July-2005, 03:12 PM
When you think that what they have said adds to the forum - If you think it detracts from it, then you neg-rep.

It can be something that makes you laugh, something that makes you cry, some perl of wisdom that you had not though of, some perspective explained with clarity, something you agree strongly with, someone saying something that strikes a chord... {and I'm not referring to the guitar thread :rolleyes:}

It's really up to you: I don't think that I've had more than two reps from any one post; everyone has different ideas of what should be "rewarded" within the forum.

Msfab
15th-July-2005, 03:21 PM
When you think that what they have said adds to the forum - If you think it detracts from it, then you neg-rep.

It can be something that makes you laugh, something that makes you cry, some perl of wisdom that you had not though of, some perspective explained with clarity, something you agree strongly with, someone saying something that strikes a chord... {and I'm not referring to the guitar thread :rolleyes:}

It's really up to you: I don't think that I've had more than two reps from any one post; everyone has different ideas of what should be "rewarded" within the forum.

Thank you Gadget!

Should I give in to pressure, by a certain individual and give them a rep? Or may be I should give them a Neg rep? :whistle:

ducasi
15th-July-2005, 03:21 PM
When they something that changes their reputation in your eyes. How's that?
I find when I miss out important it detracts from my reputation. :tears:

mooncalf
15th-July-2005, 03:27 PM
Thank you Gadget!

Should I give in to pressure, by a certain individual and give them a rep? Or may be I should give them a Neg rep? :whistle:

It depends whether you want to sleep in a shed or not.

David Bailey
15th-July-2005, 03:29 PM
I find when I miss out important it detracts from my reputation. :tears:
I was wondering about that myself... glad you cleared that up for me, no more sleepless nights.

There's more information about reps in the FAQ (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3458#giverep).

Feel free to give me some rep for being such a wonderfully helpful person. :innocent:

Lucy Locket
15th-July-2005, 03:34 PM
Thank you Gadget!

you are being pressured, that's not good. don't give in to bullies. We don't want bullies in the forum do we????

you have a voice & an opinion & it's yours, do what you want. :hug:

Lucy Locket
15th-July-2005, 03:39 PM
that's just cost you one +rep :rofl:

MartinHarper
15th-July-2005, 03:40 PM

When you approve of a post, click the "I approve" option.
When you disapprove of a post, click the "I disapprove" option.
When you have comments on a post, write them in the section marked "Your comments on this post".

spindr
15th-July-2005, 03:42 PM
When you're on the ceroc forum (http://www.cerocforum.com) :devil:

Gadget
15th-July-2005, 03:54 PM
Personally, I don't agree with touting for rep or flaunting the fact that I've given someone rep - but if you're OK with it or think that it deserves rep, then feel free.

I've also never given any negative rep... a couple of people have tempted me, but if I feel that strongly, I will respond in a post or PM rather than use the Rep system. *shrug* It's there to be used/abused however you want; you don't have to follow my example.

Feelingpink
15th-July-2005, 04:44 PM

MsFab, you do whatever you jolly well want to do. Anyway, I lived in a shed for six months (while our family house was being built) and loved it (even when the snakes and redback spiders could get in). Or you can always come and stay on our sofa in Wapping. So there.

David Bailey
15th-July-2005, 05:05 PM
Personally, I don't agree with touting for rep
Oh, I do! Give me rep! Give me rep! Err... :blush:

or flaunting the fact that I've given someone rep
Yes, I have more class than that :rofl:

bigdjiver
15th-July-2005, 05:21 PM
I give +rep for being made to laugh, for being educated, for being helped, for something being expressed particularly well.

I only give neg rep for deliberate bad behaviour. If I disaprove of a post I say why on the forum.

I dislike anonymous rep. I can understand that +reppers might not want to be seen to be flattering, but anonymous -rep is too much like a poison pen letter. I do not want to know if people think I am wrong. I want to know why they think I am wrong. I want them to be open for me to express the reasons for my view, or my appreciation for having my mistaken beliefs corrected.

Lynn
15th-July-2005, 09:52 PM
When you approve of a post, click the "I approve" option.
When you disapprove of a post, click the "I disapprove" option.
When you have comments on a post, write them in the section marked "Your comments on this post". And I would add to that - add your name. If the person has paid subscription, they can see your name anyway, but if you aren't sure if they have, then its good to sign the rep. I always give a comment as to why I'm leaving rep, and my name.

I like getting rep, not because I'm 'keeping score' but because its nice to know that some has appreciated something I have said. :hug:

Msfab
18th-July-2005, 04:25 PM

MsFab, you do whatever you jolly well want to do. Anyway, I lived in a shed for six months (while our family house was being built) and loved it (even when the snakes and redback spiders could get in). Or you can always come and stay on our sofa in Wapping. So there.

Thank you Feeling Pink! :flower: You'll be please to know I did not have to sleep in the shed over the weekend!

When you're on the ceroc forum (http://www.cerocforum.com) :devil:
mmm... Looks like youve got enough without me adding more!!!

ducasi
2nd-August-2005, 02:21 PM
Anybody else find that it's more often the quick off-the-cuff remark that gets rep, rather than the carefully thought out posts which you thought deserved it? :confused:

Must try to think less, and post more! :wink:

Msfab
2nd-August-2005, 02:52 PM
Anybody else find that it's more often the quick off-the-cuff remark that gets rep, rather than the carefully thought out posts which you thought deserved it? :confused:

You're not doing too badly ducasi! :rolleyes:

ducasi
2nd-August-2005, 04:07 PM
You're not doing too badly ducasi! :rolleyes:
It's very easy to get addicted to rep. Once you get a little you just want more and more and more!!!!!!!!!! :D

Got to get my fix! :sick:

Andy McGregor
2nd-August-2005, 04:24 PM
I think the rep system is a good way of telling how people are reacting to what you've written. I've usually got negative rep for 2 out of the last 10 reps comments. I make a point of being combative and close-to-the-edge on the Forum so I deserve more negative rep - but most forumites are so nice you'd have to be really nasty to hit the 50% level :flower:

I believe Gadget is right that in his assessment of why you should give rep - of either variety. I do not believe you should give negative rep for poor spelling - it's a judgement of someone's education and intelligence and quite insulting. I also believe you should not give negative rep because you disagree with something someone says. That is what the actual Forum dabate is about. But I think you can give negative rep for the way someone says something - even when you agree with what's being said.

Another thought about rep - if you ignore the rep scores it really makes no difference to the way you read the Forum.

Northants Girly
2nd-August-2005, 04:45 PM
Like you can see who has given you rep and which post they have given it for, I wish there was a way you could see who you have given rep to and what for :)

ducasi
2nd-August-2005, 05:20 PM
Like you can see who has given you rep and which post they have given it for, I wish there was a way you could see who you have given rep to and what for :)
:yeah:

Good idea!

bigdjiver
2nd-August-2005, 07:20 PM
I think the rep system is a good way of telling how people are reacting to what you've written. I've usually got negative rep for 2 out of the last 10 reps comments. I make a point of being combative and close-to-the-edge on the Forum so I deserve more negative rep - but most forumites are so nice you'd have to be really nasty to hit the 50% level :flower:

I believe Gadget is right that in his assessment of why you should give rep - of either variety. I do not believe you should give negative rep for poor spelling - it's a judgement of someone's education and intelligence and quite insulting. I also believe you should not give negative rep because you disagree with something someone says. That is what the actual Forum dabate is about. But I think you can give negative rep for the way someone says something - even when you agree with what's being said.

Another thought about rep - if you ignore the rep scores it really makes no difference to the way you read the Forum. :yeah: and have some rep

JoC
20th-August-2005, 07:38 PM
I hit the 'you need to spread some rep about before you can rep this user again' message for the first time today (well it was something to that effect). What exactly does that mean? I wasn't aware of over-repping the user in question but maybe I have? :confused:

ducasi
20th-August-2005, 07:51 PM
I think you have to rep five other people before you can rep the same person again.

JoC
20th-August-2005, 08:19 PM
I think you have to rep five other people before you can rep the same person again.ah, thankyou :flower:

David Bailey
20th-August-2005, 08:41 PM
I think you have to rep five other people before you can rep the same person again.
Exactly - plus, you have a limit of 10 points rep per 24 hours that you can give out. Which is also a pain, but also understandable.

There's a bit more about rep in the FAQ (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3458#giverep).

David

Oh, and feel free to include me as one of the 5 people you rep if you have to... :innocent:

JoC
20th-August-2005, 08:57 PM
Oh, and feel free to include me as one of the 5 people you rep if you have to... :innocent:I would have been deeply disappointed if you'd missed this opportunity to tout DJ. Feel the need to give you a big :hug: for not letting me down.

(p.s. I used your earlier link to read the FAQ but didn't find what I was after exactly :) )

(and there's a slight snag)

JoC
20th-August-2005, 09:15 PM
Well I'm not having much luck! Tried to rep two other people for posts I genuinely had meant to rep them for and I'm not allowed them either :rofl: . I must be developing favourites or something. Somebody else make me laugh please!!!

David Bailey
20th-August-2005, 09:25 PM
I would have been deeply disappointed if you'd missed this opportunity to tout DJ. Feel the need to give you a big :hug: for not letting me down.
Hey, it's what I'm here for.

Hmmm, "Rep tout", that has a certain sig-like quality to it...

JoC
20th-August-2005, 10:10 PM
I've now forgotten where the post is that I wanted to rep. :rofl:

ducasi
21st-August-2005, 10:20 AM
I've just noticed that Lory and ESG are neck-and-neck in the race to be the first with 400 reputation points. (Well done to both of them, especially ESG for amassing his massive rep in only 7 months.)

I wonder who's going to hit the 400 mark first... And what is going to be the "title" tag (hover your mouse over the green blobs below the rep number) to replace "a jewel in the rough" (assuming it changes)...

Ideas? Suggestions?

Lou
22nd-August-2005, 08:55 AM
I've just noticed that Lory and ESG are neck-and-neck in the race to be the first with 400 reputation points. (Well done to both of them, especially ESG for amassing his massive rep in only 7 months.)
Ahhh... but the rep idea only appeared in June 2004, and then got reset a few months later (after people were reaching the thousands) - so we all started on an even footing! ;) But well done to ESG and Lory on their 400s! :clap:

David Bailey
22nd-August-2005, 09:20 AM
Ahhh... but the rep idea only appeared in June 2004, and then got reset a few months later (after people were reaching the thousands) - so we all started on an even footing! ;) But well done to ESG and Lory on their 400s! :clap:
Really? That must have been a little traumatic...

I'm coming round to "Mr 400"'s idea of rep degradation - having it degrade by, say 1% every week. So if you didn't get any rep for a year, your rep level would be reduced by roughly 50%. Of course, that's a bit of work to implement, but it'd save mass reboots being done.

Although, possibly we're worrying too much about this (he says :) )

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-August-2005, 01:34 PM

Are you suggesting my off the cuff remarks arent carefully thought out ? :)

ducasi
22nd-August-2005, 01:39 PM
Are you suggesting my off the cuff remarks arent carefully thought out ? :)
Sorry, that was an off-the-cuff remark by me! ;)