PDA

View Full Version : I'm good at...

LMC
15th-July-2005, 11:52 AM
Having decided to get back to my normal fairly optimistic (if cynical) self*, I've also decided that I don't like that dancing insecurities thread ( :clap: at me for not posting or voting on it :D )

So here's a "big up" thread...

And it's NOT anonymous and you can pick more than one

G'wan, you know you want to.....

* < script > Right, that's it. I'm bored with being depressed and annoying everybody, it's only taken so long to recover because I used to have a fag when I was giving myself a stern talking to so it's taken a bit longer how to work out how to pull myself up with me own bootstraps. < /script > & apologies all round

David Bailey
15th-July-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm all depressed now because I only ticked one :devil:

The "insecurities" thread is much more cheerful :confused:

El Salsero Gringo
15th-July-2005, 12:07 PM
Hurrah! A happy thread for once.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
15th-July-2005, 12:19 PM
How are you supposed to know if you are a good follower, leader ect. unless someone tells you. I know all this talk of insecurities wasn't too good, but i'd feel stuck up answering this poll:sorry

Lynn
15th-July-2005, 12:24 PM
We aren't very good at saying we are good. I hate the bit at interviews where you have to talk about how good you are at doing things.

And if we don't say 'I'm a good follower/have impeccable personal hygiene' etc does that mean we are a poor follower and smell? :rofl:

LMC
15th-July-2005, 12:25 PM
How are you supposed to know if you are a good follower, leader ect. unless someone tells you. I think i'd feel stuck up answering this thread, I think I liked the other thread better: sorry

Ash, you can't tell me that NONE of those things applies to you. Anyone who is *truly* honest with themselves, knows that there is stuff they are good at as well as stuff they 'could do better'. So why not admit the good as well as the bad stuff?

Lots of us are too good enough at telling ourselves how c**p we are - I know I am. Just trying to balance things up a bit...

:hug:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
15th-July-2005, 12:35 PM
Lots of us are too good enough at telling ourselves how c**p we are - I know I am. Just trying to balance things up a bit...

:hug:

Yes, I know you were only trying to, as you say "balance" things, but I didn't really think about the other poll very much, however I think that it is harder to admit what you are good at, but i'll think and try to answer your poll truthfully :flower:

I personally don't like to talk about my insecurities, because I don't think I have as many as I used to, besides I think it makes me appear weak. I can't believe i'm posting this on a public forum, I must be mad! :eek:

Gadget
15th-July-2005, 12:42 PM
Just how are we raiting "good" then?
"Not really bad" or "Stupendously amazing"

MartinHarper
15th-July-2005, 12:46 PM
It's the luvvie thing. Everyone has to be falsely modest so that others can give them false compliments. If folks start complimenting themselves, the whole system will break down in fire and chaos.

of some other reason which I have posted here

Because.
Best reason ever!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
15th-July-2005, 12:46 PM
:yeah: Also, I picked 'i'll dance with anyone' but that's not technically true-I mean no one dances with 'everyone' ,surely??

mooncalf
15th-July-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm good at self-deprecation. Although you're probably better than me. Actually I'm not really that good at it. I don't know why I bother trying.

ducasi
15th-July-2005, 12:57 PM
I want to tick them all then write "I think I'm good because I'm delusional, am big-headed and have an over-inflated sense of my own self-worth". :waycool:

The problem is that people might actually agree. :tears:

Dizzy
15th-July-2005, 01:26 PM
What a good thread - I would rep you NewKid but I am not allowed. :tears:

Recently, I have been concentrating a lot on what is makes me a 'not good enough' kinda dancer that this thread has perked me up as I can think about what I am good at as a dancer (including spinning a lot!!) :clap:

Purple Sparkler
15th-July-2005, 01:32 PM
I want to tick them all then write "I think I'm good because I'm delusional, am big-headed and have an over-inflated sense of my own self-worth". :waycool:

The problem is that people might actually agree. :tears:

I ticked a lot of them, because I'm feeling good today. :D

But the one box missing that I definitely would have ticked is: Because I just LOVE showing off.

Sad but true. If I know people are watching, and I have a good partner, then nothing gives me more pleasure than letting rip. Last Friday was a case in point: Rhythm King and myself were doing a following exercise- you Ceroc without actually touching (I may have mentioned it elsewhere)- hands remain at least an inch apart, no matter what move you're doing. I was enjoying myself, but when I realised most of the people sitting out were watching and looking impressed, suddenly started enjoying myself that little bit more. Dancing well is always fun. Dancing well with other people seeing it has the added "Yes, that's right, today I am a dancing princess" factor.

Exhibitionist about covers it. :blush:

It's like buying something you love in the sales- added value of 'not only is it great but I got it at HALF PRICE'.

Lucy Locket
15th-July-2005, 01:42 PM
I ticked 6 things, does that make me big headed, I DON'T THINK SO. I know i'm good at those so why should i humble myself. I know i'm not so hot on others but that gives me room for improvement.
We're very quick to judge but very slow to compliment. We're very good at putting people down but not so hot at boosting them.
So if you don't like yourself, think you're worthless & don't think you're any good at this dancing lark, it'll rub off onto other people & they'll think the same. So go out there & smile & give it your best shot & pat yourself on the back for all the good you do & forget the bad bits, not worth worrying about. Dancing & this forum is about having fun, if you start taking it too seriously, the fun element goes.

& NEWKID cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer up :clap:

LMC
15th-July-2005, 01:52 PM
We're very quick to judge but very slow to compliment. We're very good at putting people down but not so hot at boosting them.

So if you don't like yourself, think you're worthless & don't think you're any good at this dancing lark, it'll rub off onto other people & they'll think the same. So go out there & smile & give it your best shot & pat yourself on the back for all the good you do & forget the bad bits, not worth worrying about. Dancing & this forum is about having fun, if you start taking it too seriously, the fun element goes.

& NEWKID cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer up :clap:
:yeah:

The insecurities and 'saying no' threads have been educational and positive in that people have been offering support and solutions - but even so, the initial concepts were negative, so having decided not to be depressed (thanks :wink: ) I thought I'd talk meself happy and drag as many people as I could with me :D

I deliberately picked "good" as a word which could mean whatever you wanted it to (to encourage people to think at least a little bit positive :whistle: ) - "perfect" would have made this thread sink without trace (and quite rightly, nobody's always perfect) and "not bad" - well, those two negatives don't always make a positive IMO...

tsh
15th-July-2005, 02:32 PM
I only ticked two... Does this mean that I'm need to try harder, or should I be content with this???

Sean

Donna
15th-July-2005, 04:02 PM
you Ceroc without actually touching (I may have mentioned it elsewhere)- hands remain at least an inch apart, no matter what move you're doing.

Yes I've only ever tried this with Mr Barker. It's really strange at first but after a couple of minutes I was really getting into it. Plus it is a good exercise for helping some ladies to follow better. Hmmmm....maybe i should do more of that then. :rolleyes:

Lynn
15th-July-2005, 04:09 PM
It's like buying something you love in the sales- added value of 'not only is it great but I got it at HALF PRICE'. There are people who won't shop in the sales 'because that's last season's stock' and then there are those of us who sale shop and are proud of it! :clap: And I can't help telling people 'yes I got it for £4!'. (Unless of course I know they have it and probably paid more for it, cos that would just make them feel bad.)

Haven't decided yet which ones to tick on this poll. Of course my sig explains what 'humility' is - and it isn't false modesty.

I know for sure I can tick the 'petite' one though! :rofl:

LMC
15th-July-2005, 04:24 PM
I think I'm most concerned that slightly fewer than 50% have ticked "My personal hygiene is impeccable" :eek:

Lynn, I love your signature quote :nice:

Zebra Woman
15th-July-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm good at the carboard box game. :devil:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90007&postcount=14

ZW :flower:

Rebecca
18th-July-2005, 10:56 AM
I love this game. I've been known on a few occasions to introduce it at the end of parties blatently because I have a fighting chance of winning. The same goes for Twister. :clap:

PJH
18th-July-2005, 12:07 PM

The hardest version I've played was on a boat, and they took the floor boards out so you had to try to get sub ground level.

RachD
18th-July-2005, 12:51 PM

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90007&postcount=14

ZW :flower:

...and this is?

JoC
18th-July-2005, 01:01 PM
...and this is?
something that requires vacuum powered lips or a long sticky tongue

RachD
18th-July-2005, 01:06 PM
something that requires vacuum powered lips or a long sticky tongue

Not convinced about the long sticky tongue, but my lips are powered by Dyson. Carry on....?

JoC
18th-July-2005, 01:15 PM
Haven't checked the link to see if it's the same game I'm thinking about...but reading between the lines:

Mark a line on the floor, a place a cardboard box (cereal packet is ideal) on the ground a fixed distance behind the line. Stand behind line and pick box up using mouth (or you could try stuffing your face inside the box) with hands behind back and only feet touching the ground.

Take turns, if you fail (don't manage or let your knee touch the ground for example) you're out. Progressively reduce the box height by tearing or cutting off an inch or so each time, thereby eliminating the real stiff hips contenders, or those too drunk to keep balance... if you've got a couple of flexible competitors you'll probably end up with a flat piece of cardboard on the ground...

Ahhh the memories, sigh...

LMC
18th-July-2005, 05:03 PM
This HAS to win the award for the best thread hijack :rofl:

Zebra Woman
18th-July-2005, 05:11 PM
Haven't checked the link to see if it's the same game I'm thinking about...but reading between the lines:

Mark a line on the floor, a place a cardboard box (cereal packet is ideal) on the ground a fixed distance behind the line. Stand behind line and pick box up using mouth (or you could try stuffing your face inside the box) with hands behind back and only feet touching the ground.

Take turns, if you fail (don't manage or let your knee touch the ground for example) you're out. Progressively reduce the box height by tearing or cutting off an inch or so each time, thereby eliminating the real stiff hips contenders, or those too drunk to keep balance... if you've got a couple of flexible competitors you'll probably end up with a flat piece of cardboard on the ground...

Ahhh the memories, sigh...

The way I play it there is no line. You can go right up to the box. :devil:

Anyone fancy a game?

El Salsero Gringo
18th-July-2005, 05:26 PM
Doesn't it get a bit soggy?

Zebra Woman
18th-July-2005, 05:29 PM

Only if you dribble.

RachD

I am good at hijacking forums.

JoC
ZW started it :devil:

The way I play it there is no line. You can go right up to the box.
I think the line makes it a little harder ;) (especially if you're short :tears: but then there are advantages to being short in this game too :clap: )

Anyone fancy a game? My cardboard box game days are long gone (she says as she rushes off to read that other thread in an attempt to suss out the competition and starts practising with herbal tea box in now almost deserted office...)

It's okay getting down there sometimes, its the getting up that can be so tricky! :rofl:

JoC
18th-July-2005, 05:30 PM
...that's the other good reason for ripping a strip off now and then

animaltalk
18th-July-2005, 07:39 PM

Fab game - played only last month - I love being a big kid.
Played with group of dance friends - unsuprisingly did much better than non-dance friends :nice:

David Bailey
19th-July-2005, 07:11 AM
Nah, Drathzel's taste comment in the Mushrooms thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5770) is still supreme in this category.

LMC
27th-July-2005, 11:52 AM
*performs thread necromancy, because to be fair, ESG is right and lots of us are being miserable today. I blame the weather*

I'm good at laughing at myself - well, when I've eventually caught up with the joke anyway

Go on, now say something nice about yourself (otherwise I'm going to feel all rejected and like a right eejit :devil: )

Purple Sparkler
27th-July-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm a good listener.
And I have good legs- not that anyone I want to appreciate them ever does.
That's about all I can come up with at the moment.

EDIT: Apart from: I have worked out how to use the Itunes Party Shuffle command. Thus making work slightly more bearable. Note the SLIGHTLY.

KatieR
28th-July-2005, 09:03 PM
I dont think Im good at much but I am a good friend.

Trish
29th-July-2005, 12:35 PM
Hurrah! A happy thread for once.

:yeah:

Lee
29th-July-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm good at Ice Skating!!! :cool:

I wonder whether it is possible to dance MJ on the ice? I only skate socially and have never done figure skating.

Has anyone ever tried it??

Lee

Trish
29th-July-2005, 12:48 PM
I've ticked various things, but things I'm really sure I'm good at because I've had enough compliments to believe it or it's something important to me (like the dancing wtih beginners thing). I guess I might have ticked the "good follower" thing, but I'm not sure I'm always as good as I'd like to be! Anyway, there's no shame in being good at something is there?

I do think if people went out and asked their really good friends honestly, they'd find that their friends thought they were good at load of things that they themselves thought they were perhaps ok at. It's a good ego boost anyway - try it!

LMC
20th-June-2006, 12:17 PM
OK, since the insecurities thread has been resurrected, I want this one back too. So there.

Post away please...

(I'm getting better at thinking positive! :nice: )

littlewiggle
20th-June-2006, 12:31 PM
Saw the 'I'm gorgeous' option on the poll and thought nobody would say that about themselves...........how wrong I was!

Frankie_4711
20th-June-2006, 09:04 PM
~SNIP~But the one box missing that I definitely would have ticked is: Because I just LOVE showing off.~SNIP~

I want this box too!

Minnie M
20th-June-2006, 10:12 PM
what's happed to delete ............. I've paid my money ! Why can't I delete :really: It was within the given time :sad:

I kind of agree with DJ ....... I am getting fed up with some of these silly polls :rolleyes:

LMC
21st-June-2006, 09:34 AM
This poll is an old one, resurrected because even just reading a thread header containing the word insecurities is depressing (would be really nice to be able to put threads on "ignore" if we're derailing this thread to a technical discussion :na: )

I'm getting better at enjoying dancing more of the time and spending less time fretting about the too many things that I need to improve!

Aleks
21st-June-2006, 10:22 AM
Just to qualify my *I'm gorgeous* assertion...someone at Southport told me I am.

littlewiggle
21st-June-2006, 12:13 PM
Just to qualify my *I'm gorgeous* assertion...someone at Southport told me I am.

You and me both hon...it does happen! :grin:

Minnie M
21st-June-2006, 01:34 PM
:yeah: I second that :worthy: :hug:

Clueless
21st-June-2006, 02:01 PM
:yeah: I second that :worthy: :hug:

if someones say that to Me I dont know what to say or do I get all shy and ashamed...I'm not good at receiving compliments.

Thought someone has told me that I am good at leading. Apparently I am firm and say that 'OK I want you here' kinda thing with out being rough. if anyone danced with me over the W/E and thinks different let me know :nice:

Freya
21st-June-2006, 02:13 PM
Some other reason that I have posted:

Because I'm completely hyper and mad!!!!

littlewiggle
21st-June-2006, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=Clueless]if someones say that to Me I dont know what to say or do I get all shy and ashamed...I'm not good at receiving compliments.

[QUOTE]
Oh bless you - I like that! I think it's kinda sweet. Much better to be modest and gracious I feel. The 'I love me who do you love syndrome' is never attractive! The easiest thing when receiving a compliment is just to smile and thank the person :wink:

Don't go changing...!

LMC
21st-June-2006, 05:36 PM
I dunno....

If I don't love me, who knows me best, how can I expect anyone else to love me?

Agree that accepting a compliment with smiling thanks is the most gracious reaction, even if you feel a bit uncomfortable inside. Look at it this way: by disclaiming or denying the compliment you are actually implying that the person who gave it to you has poor judgement and/or you don't respect their opinion.

This thread is meant to balance the insecurities thread - we're all good at something and I sometimes think it would be a nicer world in general if we were all a bit nicer to ourselves, instead of beating ourselves up about the things we're not so good at.

*gets down from soapbox*

Clueless
27th-June-2006, 02:20 PM
I dunno....

If I don't love me, who knows me best, how can I expect anyone else to love me?

Agree that accepting a compliment with smiling thanks is the most gracious reaction, even if you feel a bit uncomfortable inside. Look at it this way: by disclaiming or denying the compliment you are actually implying that the person who gave it to you has poor judgement and/or you don't respect their opinion.

This thread is meant to balance the insecurities thread - we're all good at something and I sometimes think it would be a nicer world in general if we were all a bit nicer to ourselves, instead of beating ourselves up about the things we're not so good at.

*gets down from soapbox*

that is a valid point... good call...