PDA

View Full Version : Nightclub 2-step & WCS Workshop with Cat Wiles

Will
14th-July-2005, 02:39 PM
This bulletin is for the ladies.....

Cat is running a 4 hour "Nightclub 2-step & West Coast Swing" workshop at Kent House this Sunday between 1pm and 5.30pm.

As well as 3hrs of teaching, there will also a 90 minute session of assisted practice.

She is looking for 5 more women only as mens places are already fully booked!

The price is a bargain at £20. If you're interested, then call Cat on 07881 641 400 or email her at catdance@talk21.com to book.

:cheers:

Bex
14th-July-2005, 03:30 PM
Hi All,

Seriously, if any ladies are considering doing this workshop with Cat, go for it! I saw her and Lee's demonstration at the T-Jive a few weeks back and they were fantastic :worthy:

By the way Wilma, its 'Wiles' not 'Wiley'!!!!! :rofl: :hug:

Bex

Will
14th-July-2005, 03:34 PM
Sorry, the 'y' and the 's' are very close to each other on my keyboard.

W.

Rhythm King
14th-July-2005, 03:52 PM
Sorry, the 'y' and the 's' are very close to each other on my keyboard.

W.

Rubbish - you were just thinking about Cat Deeley, go on, admit it :devil:

Feelingpink
17th-July-2005, 06:54 PM
I've just got back from this workshop and it was just fab. I could only find one thing wrong with it ... that none of the guys I regularly dance with were there, so I have no-one to practise with ...

... that is until the West Coast Swing Wednesdays start on August 3 at Kent House for a month's trial, with Cat & Lee teaching ... with the distinct possibility of more Nightclub 2-step and possibly another workshop in the future (when the weather cools down a little).

It was my first try at nightclub 2-step ... and it was so brilliant ... something to do with music that is too slow for MJ and a bit too fast for blues. Some of the arm movements were like doing ballet exercises, with more macho versions for the men :devil:

So, any of you Jango blokes going to rock up and learn a dance that would be ideal for TWK's traditional operatic Monday "last song"? Come on, you know you want to look as smooth as Lee :flower:

The flier says there are beginner classes at 8pm, intermediate at 9pm followed by freestyle until 11pm (cue Will to make a comment about cheap beer at this point).

PS For those of you not yet convinced, the tea urn was bubbling and large quantities of biscuits as well as equal numbers of men and women. :clap: Bring on the next workshop.

robd
17th-July-2005, 07:16 PM
It was my first try at nightclub 2-step ... and it was so brilliant ...

My partner and I did the oh so brief lunchtime taster at MJC with Cat and Amir on 2-step and I have to say :yeah: Lots of men obviously feeling the same way given the sell out of the workshop and the late call for ladies to even the numbers.

Robert

Paul F
17th-July-2005, 08:31 PM
It was my first try at nightclub 2-step ... and it was so brilliant ... something to do with music that is too slow for MJ and a bit too fast for blues.

Got to agree. Its about time we had some experts, or indeed anyone, in this country for N2S (im assuming Cat and Lee are experts)
I have been trying to teach myself using DVDs from the states for the last year and a bit. I eventually got a bit of help from Buddy Schwimmer but it has not been easy without real people in front of me :rolleyes:
I would love to introduce more people to this but Im trying to decide if there is the market for it.

If anyone wants to look up what N2S is you need to be aware that many teachers in the states teach it differently depending on whether they have a ballroom background or not so some video clips may put you off. :sick:

I did the lesson at MJC too but found that one of the moves was different than I had seen before. I guess this is because there is no rigid foundation for this style yet - although Dance Vision do have it under their 'syllabus' section. :confused:

You may also come across the term Nightclub Foxtrot which is a similar style which attempts to 'fill the gap' when the slow ballads are on.

Have a look at it though. Its brilliant.

Feelingpink
17th-July-2005, 10:33 PM
Got to agree. Its about time we had some experts, or indeed anyone, in this country for N2S (im assuming Cat and Lee are experts) I don't have anyone to compare them with so am not sure if they are 'experts' ... but they looks so fabulous dancing that I frankly don't care.

I have been trying to teach myself using DVDs from the states for the last year and a bit. I eventually got a bit of help from Buddy Schwimmer but it has not been easy without real people in front of me :rolleyes:
I would love to introduce more people to this but Im trying to decide if there is the market for it.

If anyone wants to look up what N2S is you need to be aware that many teachers in the states teach it differently depending on whether they have a ballroom background or not so some video clips may put you off. :sick:

I did the lesson at MJC too but found that one of the moves was different than I had seen before. I guess this is because there is no rigid foundation for this style yet - although Dance Vision do have it under their 'syllabus' section. :confused:

Cat did say that there are variations ... and I guess as a relatively new dance form (I assume?) from a Country (the 'C' word) background, it will be a while before it 'settles' into one or a number of streams. I also guess that it will take a while for MJ people to find out about it and to build a following, perhaps similar to the way that WCS has progressed in the UK?

Have a look at it though. Its brilliant. Yup. Women would find it really useful in styling - either generally for MJ or certainly for blues and 'playing'. :clap:

Minnie M
17th-July-2005, 10:46 PM
... and I guess as a relatively new dance form
I learnt NC2 about 5 years ago with Ralf Schiller (he runs a dance school in London) - It is very popular in the States not sure if it will be as popular here.

Paul F
17th-July-2005, 11:28 PM
I learnt NC2 about 5 years ago with Ralf Schiller (he runs a dance school in London) - It is very popular in the States not sure if it will be as popular here.

Im so intrigued to find out whether it would be or not :)

On the one hand I would love to open up a freestyle night with one main jive room, one latin/swing and a room for N2S - essentially slow ballads.
(we could stipulate no travelling moves and have it in a large cupboard :D )
On the other you need enough people to be proficient in a style to accomodate such a venture. Otherwise people will pop their head round the door, see noone is dancing and go :tears:

I can see it being popular for the last dance of the night but for a whole session :confused:

Geordieed
18th-July-2005, 09:07 AM
Got to agree. Its about time we had some experts, or indeed anyone, in this country for N2S (im assuming Cat and Lee are experts)

He is some of the text taken from the email that was sent out prior to the workshop...

Cat and Lee first partnered up in 1998 where they went on to become British Country Couples Dance Champions at their first competition together. They went on to tour together with former dance group, Superstar Productions before moving on to separate dance pursuits. Cat went on to become World Pro Am Champion and Lee holds World Championships in Line and Couples Dance as well as most recently a Top Teacher award. They have both taught, performed and judged all over Europe, America and on television and theatre

Peter
20th-July-2005, 05:28 PM
... if there is sufficient interest, Cat & Lee will be doing another N2S workshop on Sun 7 Aug at Kent House, Hammersmith. Her email yesterday said that the format would be the same as before, 2 hours of NC2Step tuition, 1 hour WCS Master Class and over 90 minutes of assisted practise. Let her know if you are interested!

But it looks as if that will be the last until Oct due to prior teaching commitments :tears:

Mie
21st-July-2005, 11:45 AM
... if there is sufficient interest, Cat & Lee will be doing another N2S workshop on Sun 7 Aug at Kent House, Hammersmith. Her email yesterday said that the format would be the same as before, 2 hours of NC2Step tuition, 1 hour WCS Master Class and over 90 minutes of assisted practise. Let her know if you are interested!

But it looks as if that will be the last until Oct due to prior teaching commitments :tears:

So... Who's going? :nice:

I must say I'm very tempted as I unfortunately missed the last one :tears: and both Cat and Lee are such fabulous dancers and wonderful teachers. :clap:

Lynn
21st-July-2005, 12:21 PM
Anyone got a link to a site which has clips of NC2Step? I've never seen it. Should have gone to the workshop at Southport, would have been a good introduction.

Amir
21st-July-2005, 10:28 PM
There isn't a clip there but there is a little more information at www.westcoastswing.co.uk then click on 'workshops' at the top (third tab along.)

Lynn
22nd-July-2005, 10:25 AM
There isn't a clip there but there is a little more information at www.westcoastswing.co.uk then click on 'workshops' at the top (third tab along.) Thanks, I'd like to try it. Maybe there will be another workshop at Sep Southport.