PDA

View Full Version : How to get into a 'guitar'

robd
14th-July-2005, 09:26 AM
At MJC one of Simon Borland's classes included a position he called the guitar. Essentially it is lady to man's left, pretty much side by side but man slightly more forward, man's right holding lady's right to his hip, man's left held out straight across ladies midriff for her to take hold with her left from which you can walk/rotate backwards for as many beats as you wish. Similar in many ways to an Octopus walkaround (probably not the right name).
During Simon's class I am pretty sure he got into this position just by doing R-R return then stepping in under the lady's right hand, turning himself 360 ACW and collecting the lady's LH (sorry, not a good description). I found this quite ackward (the turning under especially) and wondered if anyone else can advise a simple way to get into this position (assuming any of the above makes sense!)

Robert

spindr
14th-July-2005, 12:12 PM
Isn't the guitar just a fancy name for a "man sway", i.e. take a normal sway and simply swap lead/follow around -- if so, just lead yourself there as if you were following a similar mirror'd "J" shaped path as if you would lead the lady for a sway. Oh, and don't lead the lady to move much while you move/rotate into position.

SpinDr.

robd
14th-July-2005, 02:15 PM
Isn't the guitar just a fancy name for a "man sway", i.e. take a normal sway and simply swap lead/follow around -- if so, just lead yourself there as if you were following a similar mirror'd "J" shaped path as if you would lead the lady for a sway. Oh, and don't lead the lady to move much while you move/rotate into position.

SpinDr.

That sounds about right. I'll give it a go!

Robert

Rhythm King
14th-July-2005, 02:46 PM
Am I the only person who read the title of this thread and thought:

use an 'axe'

Gojive
14th-July-2005, 02:58 PM
Am I the only person who read the title of this thread and thought:

use an 'axe'

:D

I was thinking of how I could use the guitar, to string a few moves together..... :na:

Rhythm King
14th-July-2005, 03:13 PM
:D

I was thinking of how I could use the guitar, to string a few moves together..... :na:

Right that's it - we need to ban jokes like that

Gojive
14th-July-2005, 03:29 PM

Oh well, air today gone tommorow eh? :sad:

Btw, what do you bass that thought on RK? :D

Lory
14th-July-2005, 03:43 PM
Dont fret, I won't attempt to make any! :D

Rhythm King
14th-July-2005, 03:45 PM
Oh well, air today gone tommorow eh? :sad:

Btw, what do you bass that thought on RK? :D

I was just following your lead and getting into the rhythm. Still. can't fret about these things any more

Rhythm King
14th-July-2005, 03:47 PM
Oops, sorry Lory missed your post, while typing mine. :blush:

Lory
14th-July-2005, 03:52 PM
Oops, sorry Lory missed your post, while typing mine. :blush:
You Nut! there was no need to stick your neck out the appologise! :na:

Rhythm King
14th-July-2005, 04:02 PM
You Nut! there was no need to stick your neck out the appologise! :na:
Wawa! :tears:

PJH
14th-July-2005, 04:34 PM
Dont fret, I won't attempt to make any! :D
Stop stringing the bad humour out! :wink:, and let's have a more electrifying thread

Rhythm King
14th-July-2005, 04:45 PM
Stop stringing the bad humour out! :wink:, and let's have a more electrifying thread

Would you care to amplify those comments?

Purple Sparkler
14th-July-2005, 05:13 PM
Would you care to amplify those comments?

If PJH does, I wonder if he'll go to 11?

under par
14th-July-2005, 05:23 PM
Big cash prize for the "plectrum" pun. :yeah: :worthy:

Any takers!!! :whistle:

Rhythm King
14th-July-2005, 05:24 PM

Did you just pluck that one out of thin air, Mr UP?

under par
14th-July-2005, 05:27 PM
Did you just pluck that one out of thin air, Mr UP?

Bit of a TURKEY that one RK. :flower:

No cash for you. :whistle:

MartinHarper
14th-July-2005, 06:11 PM
Do a standard, beginner move, catapult. Stop at "4". You are now in a man sway position.
I'm thinking there's probably a catapult sabotage that works on that principle.

Lory
14th-July-2005, 06:49 PM
Bit of a TURKEY that one RK. :flower:

No cash for you. :whistle:
You two think you've hit bass with these jokes but you think you going to make us forum folk laugh, your very wrong! :D

under par
14th-July-2005, 06:57 PM
You two think you've hit bass with these jokes but you think you going to make us forum folk laugh, your very wrong! :D

I could end up with a complex trumpetting my own puns doesn't bother me though. :whistle:

Big BUCKETs of money for me ....me....me :yeah:

Lory
14th-July-2005, 09:08 PM
complex trumpetting my own puns doesn't bother me though. :whistle:

Does this statement strike a chord with anyone else :confused: :whistle:

Minnie M
14th-July-2005, 09:18 PM
.........I'm thinking there's probably a catapult sabotage that works on that principle.
more like a thread sabotage than a catapult one :whistle:

Rhythm King
15th-July-2005, 11:34 AM
more like a thread sabotage than a catapult one :whistle:
I was thinking more strings than threads myself.

BTW RobD, try a R to R travelling return and then turn anti-clockwise a half turn, bending your right arm into a half nelson and offer the left outstretched to the lady, who will be behind you and slightly to your left

Lory
15th-July-2005, 12:15 PM
I was thinking more strings than threads myself.

You plucking at straws now :rolleyes: :whistle:

Tessalicious
15th-July-2005, 12:19 PM
You plucking at straws now :rolleyes: :whistle:Children children, I think it's time to put a capot on this now...

Rhythm King
15th-July-2005, 12:34 PM
Children children, I think it's time to put a capot on this now...

Yeah I know, we're getting strapped for puns still, someone always finds something to bridge the gap til the next one.

Tessalicious
15th-July-2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah I know, we're getting strapped for puns still, someone always finds something to bridge the gap til the next one.Its ok R-K, I think the forum is used to being a sounding board for you to try out all your new jokes, but I think you need to be taken down a peg or two

latinlover
15th-July-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah I know, we're getting strapped for puns still, someone always finds something to bridge the gap til the next one.

Glad to see we are all of one a CHORD over this :wink:

Tessalicious
15th-July-2005, 01:13 PM
Glad to see we are all of one a CHORD over this :wink:Poor robd, his innocent dancing question has suffered A major transformation - one might even call it a modulation?

Rhythm King
15th-July-2005, 01:14 PM
Glad to see we are all of one a CHORD over this :wink:

I think you deserve a rosette for this key comment

Rhythm King
15th-July-2005, 01:18 PM
Poor robd, his innocent dancing question has suffered A major transformation - one might even call it a modulation?
Depends on the frequency of your posting I guess. I should try to jack it in really.

Lory
15th-July-2005, 01:40 PM
A major transformation - [/B]?
I'm trying flat out to think of a good excuse to keeping these silly puns going and the only one I can think of, I'm suffering from ....

Wait for it....

Diminished responsibility!

Purple Sparkler
15th-July-2005, 01:41 PM
Depends on the frequency of your posting I guess. I should try to jack it in really.

Nice to see that people are coming up with new puns and not pedalling the same tired old gags.

Tessalicious
15th-July-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm trying flat out to think of a good excuse to keeping these silly puns going and the only one I can think of, I'm suffering from ....

Wait for it....

Diminished responsibility!If we're not careful this problem will augment - maybe someone should keep a tab on it?

Purple Sparkler
15th-July-2005, 01:51 PM
If we're not careful this problem will augment - maybe someone should keep a tab on it?

I nominate Lory- as a moderator it is her...

forte.

Rhythm King
15th-July-2005, 02:30 PM
I nominate Lory- as a moderator it is her...

forte.

Just tuning in to see if anyone's put any new puns.

Tessalicious
15th-July-2005, 02:37 PM
Just tuning in to see if anyone's put any new puns.The subject has been bent out of all proportion - but we need no more viol puns thank you very much - let's all just head off to the bar.

Lory
15th-July-2005, 02:41 PM
I need to pluck another one out of my head to stay in the running :rolleyes:

Rhythm King
15th-July-2005, 02:59 PM
I need to pluck another one out of my head to stay in the running :rolleyes:

Well you wouldn't want to get your headstock in a rut would you?

jockey
16th-July-2005, 12:37 AM

Would be difficult to pick the winner..

PJH
16th-July-2005, 11:44 AM
Would be difficult to pick the winner..
Maybel we could pluck one out in a lucky dip

Dance Demon
16th-July-2005, 11:53 AM
Us C&W fans will have to STEEL ourselves for the result........then just SLIDE off to listen to some blues.....providing the ACCOUSTICs are OK

jockey
16th-July-2005, 11:02 PM
Us C&W fans will have to STEEL ourselves for the result........then just SLIDE off to listen to some blues.....providing the ACCOUSTICs are OK
The Blues might put you in the mood for a spot of NECKing - if you had the BOTTLE! :rofl:

DaveD
17th-July-2005, 09:25 AM
Whats the penalty for a first offender on this thread?

Dance Demon
17th-July-2005, 01:37 PM
Whats the penalty for a first offender on this thread?

Yes....they are likely to PICKUP a sizeable fine for not keeping in TUNE with everyone else...