PDA

View Full Version : 2 minutes silence on 14/7/2005

stewart38
13th-July-2005, 02:04 PM
So we have another tragedy and another 2 minutes silence which is going to be held all over Europe I hear?

Can I ask why ?

LMC
13th-July-2005, 02:18 PM
Because too many people seem to think at times that if they behave in the correct fashion, place their flowers, weep openly, queue for hours to write sentiments in a book few will really ever really see, it will help them to get over what it is they think they *should* be feeling, when in actual fact they're not feeling much at all - and if they haven't been injured or bereaved or affected in any practical way, why should they?

There are too many damn drama queens around at the moment :mad: If it takes one to know one, I should know, although my reasons are different...

stewart38
13th-July-2005, 02:25 PM
Because too many people seem to think at times that if they behave in the correct fashion, place their flowers, weep openly, queue for hours to write sentiments in a book few will really ever really see, it will help them to get over what it is they think they *should* be feeling, when in actual fact they're not feeling much at all - and if they haven't been injured or bereaved or affected in any practical way, why should they?

There are too many damn drama queens around at the moment :mad: If it takes one to know one, I should know, although my reasons are different...

Hard but fair comments from a fellow forumite caught up in the mess

I think it started with Lady Diana

Aleks
13th-July-2005, 02:25 PM
If for no other reason that we (well, most of us) observe(d) silence for those who gave their lives in the war(s) or through any tragedy.....IMO life is precious and deserving of acknowledgement, however it was lived or ended or even whether we knew that person/group of people.

Referring to two other threads [the arrival of Niamh and Honor] and all the warm feelings they created, the people who are remembered when observing silence were someone's son/daughter/husband/wife etc etc.

A person could always choose not to observe the silence, provided space is left for those who do.

Aleks
13th-July-2005, 02:27 PM

I agree with this too. I am lucky that recent events didn't touch my life....but....see my post above.

stewart38
13th-July-2005, 02:28 PM
If for no other reason that we (well, most of us) observe(d) silence for those who gave their lives in the war(s) or through any tragedy.....IMO life is precious and deserving of acknowledgement, however it was lived or ended or even whether we knew that person/group of people.

Referring to two other threads [the arrival of Niamh and Honor] and all the warm feelings they created, the people who are remembered when observing silence were someone's son/daughter/husband/wife etc etc.

A person could always choose not to observe the silence, provided space is left for those who do.

Difference I think for two world wars then this. Was there one for the madrid bomb ?

LMC
13th-July-2005, 02:39 PM
I think it started with Lady Diana

Yeah, what is it with flowers every time there is a tragedy? It's a "look at me" gesture - you could make yourself feel better and do far more good by giving the money to a relevant charity - but no-one would notice that would they?

Going back to events in London: to be honest, I am still a bit jumpy - as I suspect we all are. It's almost surreal - so many things are normal, but walking in from Kings Cross you can still smell burning round the back streets of Russell Square (main road still closed) and see the security vans with their satellite dishes. And instead of sirens fading into the background, you wonder where they are going and what's happening - and if they go past the office you rush to the window and take a look. You stare at the "Missing, in anything known please call... " posters plastered all round Kings Cross - and just don't know what to think or feel except a deep tired sadness at how awful and incomprehensible that people can act in such an inhuman way - and that you are helpless to change it. And that underlying discomfort is quite possibly part of what is making me so p***ed off with all the over-emotional hype around.

Perceptions have been derailed and it'll be a long time before we all get back to feeling normal (although with all credit to London Transport and emergency services, routines are workable, if changed slightly). But the best reason to make the effort is *because* we are helpless to change things and *because* most of us haven't been affected in any practical way apart from some worry and inconvenience.

Yep, I'm having a bad day/week - so apologies if wording offends but no apologies for sentiment. If you fall into the emotional vampire camp then get over yourself.

Aleks
13th-July-2005, 02:54 PM
Difference I think for two world wars then this. Was there one for the madrid bomb ?

I can't answer that question, but can say that I lit a candle.

Wanting to avoid argument about what is/isn't deserving....IMO giving time to reflect/remember those who have been affected is the choice of the individual so if your issue is with the 'dictate' that it will be at x for xx long then I probably agree with your sentiments.

stewart38
13th-July-2005, 03:31 PM
I can't answer that question, but can say that I lit a candle.

Wanting to avoid argument about what is/isn't deserving....IMO giving time to reflect/remember those who have been affected is the choice of the individual so if your issue is with the 'dictate' that it will be at x for xx long then I probably agree with your sentiments.

Maybe im getting too personally involved in this

I now here buses will stop and office staff here and I guess all over london are being encourage to observe the silence outside !

LMC
13th-July-2005, 03:34 PM
Maybe im getting too personally involved in this

I now here buses will stop and office staff here and I guess all over london are being encourage to observe the silence outside !

:devil: Will we meet up in Piccadilly Circus and make a BIG NOISE? :whistle:

Rhythm King
14th-July-2005, 12:25 PM
:devil: Will we meet up in Piccadilly Circus and make a BIG NOISE? :whistle:

Well, in spite of certain peoples' cynicism, the City of London came to a virtual standstill. Traffic stopped, people flooded out of their buildings and stood on the pavements and all was quiet. Not even any aircraft noise. The feeling amongst colleagues at my office was not only to show a mark of respect to the victims of the recent attacks, but to send a message of defiance to the terrorists. A scooter, a bicyclist and a van were the only things to pass down the road during the period.

I concur that at times there has been an excessive amount of PDG and hysteria, Princess Diana being a case in point (prepares to be flamed :blush: ), but I think on this occasion the cause was worthwhile, and hell it was only two minutes, not several weeks.

Rebecca
14th-July-2005, 12:39 PM
Traffic stopped, people flooded out of their buildings and stood on the pavements and all was quiet. Not even any aircraft noise.
It sounds very powerful. Giving ourselves the time to stop and consider a serious issue; organising the timing of the silence so that individuals can share the experience. I fail to see how this can be a bad thing, and the polar opposite to hysterical IMHO.

RachD
14th-July-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, in spite of certain peoples' cynicism, the City of London came to a virtual standstill. Traffic stopped, people flooded out of their buildings and stood on the pavements and all was quiet. Not even any aircraft noise. The feeling amongst colleagues at my office was not only to show a mark of respect to the victims of the recent attacks, but to send a message of defiance to the terrorists. A scooter, a bicyclist and a van were the only things to pass down the road during the period.

I concur that at times there has been an excessive amount of PDG and hysteria, Princess Diana being a case in point (prepares to be flamed :blush: ), but I think on this occasion the cause was worthwhile, and hell it was only two minutes, not several weeks.

Well said.
Same here in Marylebone. Traffic stopped and engines turned off. Quite eerie and moving.... (interrupted only by a man walking past with about 10 sets of keys attached to his trouser belt loop, who seemed oblivious, bless him)

stewart38
14th-July-2005, 02:47 PM

Got to say (I work 5 mins away from Bank 2 mins away from llyods) it was very moving. With cars pulling over people out of the office and on the streets

Im man enough to admit Ive changed my mind on this and am glad it happened.

you can spend you whole life working in the city and 99.9999% of the time on tubes in streets other people are just faceless.

This bough a sense of 'oneness' that I cant explain in writing but I felt quite moved

Gojive
14th-July-2005, 03:01 PM
Got to say (I work 5 mins away from Bank 2 mins away from llyods) it was very moving. With cars pulling over people out of the office and on the streets

Im man enough to admit Ive changed my mind on this and am glad it happened.

you can spend you whole life working in the city and 99.9999% of the time on tubes in streets other people are just faceless.

This bough a sense of 'oneness' that I cant explain in writing but I felt quite moved

Surely, if any posts deserves rep it's one such as this? On it's way!... :cheers:

Rhythm King
14th-July-2005, 03:15 PM
Surely, if any posts deserves rep it's one such as this? On it's way!... :cheers:
:yeah:

R-K

Lory
14th-July-2005, 03:16 PM
This brought a sense of 'oneness' that I can't explain in writing but I felt quite moved
:hug:

The emotion I felt, was one of pride.

Proud to be British actually!

I think on this occasion, the 2 minutes silence was the right thing to do but more to show a united condemnation of terrorism.

To show these evil people, that we as a nation, stand united as one, against them!

David Bailey
14th-July-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah, what is it with flowers every time there is a tragedy? It's a "look at me" gesture - you could make yourself feel better and do far more good by giving the money to a relevant charity - but no-one would notice that would they?
Anyone else think NewKid is scary? :eek:

I also blame Princess blo*dy Diana for this gushing; as I do for many things, including the state of my wardrobe.

But these are the new traditions - white bands, 2 minutes' silence, flowers on bomb sites, immediate beatifications...

It's the way people want to express emotion now - like it or not, that's the way people want to live.

LMC
15th-July-2005, 06:46 AM
I think that the whole concept of 2 minutes silence every time something sad happens is being devalued, which (and I'm sure I'll get slapped if I'm wrong) I think was the original point of the thread.

But although I fail to see why everyone has to take part in *everyone's* "2 minute silences" I agree with Lory that in this instance, for the UK, it was the right thing to do.

I was in a meeting with some Extremely Important People (not that I am one, I was just taking the notes) - and the chair called a halt to the proceedings.

So I'm also glad it happened - for this time anyway. Women can be man enough to admit when they are wrong too :nice:

Winnie
16th-July-2005, 01:34 AM
The 2 minutes silence allow people the opportunity to reflect on what has happened and to think about the people that has been affected by the bombing. It is important to show respect and courage to all those concerned. :flower:

Gus
16th-July-2005, 06:46 PM
I think that the whole concept of 2 minutes silence every time something sad happens is being devalued, which (and I'm sure I'll get slapped if I'm wrong) I think was the original point of the thread.Outside the VE remeberance service the only other time I remember a 'silence' was for 9/11. The question is that as the number of atrocities continues, will we continue to do the same. Its intersting that the world had a silence for our London grief, and for NY's 9/11 .... but I dont remember any for the Bali bombing or the Madrid train attack.

I know its not a pleasant thought but there is now a real war on with no end in sight. There has to be some long term thought given to how to care for the casualties, not just the physical injuries but those who will become affected mentally by the sights of the aftermath and the decreased feeling of security.

LMC
16th-July-2005, 08:25 PM
Hmm, when you said that Gus, I thought "maybe I'm being unreasonable" in my thought that we seem to be doing two minute silences about every other week. And I was :rofl:

However, there have been an increased number of 2 minute silences over the past few years - see Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silence). It used to just be the Armistice.

I freely admit to having changed my thinking about the silence for the London bombings - for the UK at least. But then I was in London - and work within walking distance from 2 of the bomb sites.

Imposing a two minute silence on people who could secretly "care less" just devalues the whole point of the exercise. It should be by choice, not sociological/cultural pressure.