PDA

View Full Version : Bachata

Anna
13th-July-2005, 12:35 PM
BACHATA - taking the world by storm?

does anyone on here even know what it is?

the basic step is like a cross between salsa and merengue in a sideways one-two, one two.. its AWESOME :grin:

anyone know it? dance it? like it? anyone at all?

I did a salsa workshop taught by Oliver Pineda :worthy: (on tour out here in NZ) tonight and he agrees that Bachata is way cool.. :waycool:

Lucy Locket
13th-July-2005, 12:37 PM
BACHATA - taking the world by storm?

does anyone on here even know what it is?

the basic step is like a cross between salsa and merengue in a sideways one-two, one two.. its AWESOME :grin:

anyone know it? dance it? like it? anyone at all?

I did a salsa workshop taught by Oliver Pineda :worthy: (on tour out here in NZ) tonight and he agrees that Bachata is way cool.. :waycool:

never heard of it, but i'm always way behind everyone else :clap:

Anna
13th-July-2005, 12:40 PM
its been one of the more obscure of the street latin dances.. but soon it will have its time in the sun!!! its danced fairly close.. roundabout the same proximity as blues and u can dance it to ceroc music as well as the latin beats.. works just perfect at dance parties.. :clap:

David Franklin
13th-July-2005, 12:45 PM
its been one of the more obscure of the street latin dances.. but soon it will have its time in the sun!!! its danced fairly close.. roundabout the same proximity as blues and u can dance it to ceroc music as well as the latin beats.. works just perfect at dance parties.. :clap:Seems to tally with how SalsaMafia describes the basic movement :wink:

Samelessly stolen from www.salsamafia.com
Guy: Rub-her-chest, Rub-her-chest, Rub-her-chest, Grab her butt.
Girl: Rub-his-bits, Rub-his-bits, Rub-his-bits, Rub-your-own.
Full article at http://www.salsamafia.com/index.php?Load=Other_Bachata.html

(Actually, compared with their attitude to Ceroc, that's a pretty positive description...)

Andreas
13th-July-2005, 12:47 PM
I love the music and it is a great dance to give your hips a workout. The 'hip kick' on 4 feels awkward to start with but after a while you get the hang of it ... and after a little pain :rofl:

Though, people don't usually like it that much over here (as far as I noticed) because of the 'awkward' hip movement. On Monday I got almost turned down because 'it looks silly'.

I don't think it is going to take over the world because the dance itself is rather simple, no bells and whistles. You can do Merengue moves in but it is essentially just a very close dance. :whistle: :innocent:

Anna
13th-July-2005, 12:51 PM
pfffffffffffftttt i still like it :D and no, not for THAT reason, thankyou very much! :wink: :whistle:

Andreas
13th-July-2005, 12:57 PM
pfffffffffffftttt i still like it :D and no, not for THAT reason, thankyou very much! :wink: :whistle:

Yeah right :yum:

We'll have a Bachata next time I am around, which should be towards the end of the year. :flower:

Anna
13th-July-2005, 01:02 PM
shh dont tell.. haha maybe i just like Bachata so much cos i did some with Oliver Pineda :worthy: .. *swoon* :yum:

oh good good.. just in time for my huge birthday dance party !! :D yes i've been planning it since approximately february.. :whistle:

memo 2 self: book the glenview in advance!!

Petal
13th-July-2005, 01:41 PM
I don't think it is going to take over the world because the dance itself is rather simple, no bells and whistles. You can do Merengue moves in but it is essentially just a very close dance. :whistle: :innocent:

We were taught this at Salsa on a couple of occasions. I've seen a few people do it at Salsa parties, but it doesn't seem popular yet, maybe because of the awkward hip movement.

David Bailey
13th-July-2005, 02:06 PM
We were taught this at Salsa on a couple of occasions. I've seen a few people do it at Salsa parties, but it doesn't seem popular yet, maybe because of the awkward hip movement.
It's just the latest fashion :shrug icon: - salsa's afflicted by these things.

I did a mini-class a few months ago. I wasn't not that impressed, I think "It looks funny" sums it up to me - I like Andreas' description, and I also like the analogy that it's midway between salsa and merengue.

Still, what do I know, I still prefer Cuban over cross-body... :whistle:

Andreas
13th-July-2005, 02:12 PM
shh dont tell.. haha maybe i just like Bachata so much cos i did some with Oliver Pineda :worthy: .. *swoon* :yum:

I can understand that. He is a fabulous dancer! :clap:

Anna
13th-July-2005, 11:57 PM
I did his latin body movement for Salsa workshop last night - twas amazing!!! Havent quite mastered the coordination required for what he showed us yet but will keep on trying.. practice makes perfect right? :D

Lynn
14th-July-2005, 12:40 AM
Have to check out if anyone is doing this over here.

Still, what do I know, I still prefer Cuban over cross-body... :whistle:Hmm, Cuban is fairly popular here, certainly in some venues, is NI a bit behind or ahead? :whistle:

Anna
14th-July-2005, 02:10 AM
bit of both really, depends where you go. Salsa on 2 is just becoming really popular out here, its kind of the "in", fashionable thing at moment..

I'm really bad at discerning whats Cuban, LA, etc which is TERRIBLE i know and so embarassing for someone whos been doing Salsa for coming up 4 years but err.. gosh what do we dance out here.. umm.. i would say a mixture of LA, cuban and "aussie" Salsa (oliver's).. and the dance fashonista's are all dancing it on 2.. me i'm still a baby so its 1 for me unless someone is talking the timing at me :blush:

Andreas
14th-July-2005, 06:57 AM
but will keep on trying.. practice makes perfect right? :D

Good girl :hug: if only more people had that attitude.

Andreas
14th-July-2005, 07:02 AM
bit of both really, depends where you go. Salsa on 2 is just becoming really popular out here, its kind of the "in", fashionable thing at moment..

I'm really bad at discerning whats Cuban, LA, etc which is TERRIBLE i know and so embarassing for someone whos been doing Salsa for coming up 4 years but err.. gosh what do we dance out here.. umm.. i would say a mixture of LA, cuban and "aussie" Salsa (oliver's).. and the dance fashonista's are all dancing it on 2.. me i'm still a baby so its 1 for me unless someone is talking the timing at me :blush:

Mix of Cuban and LA is a pretty good description. I do prefer to mix them (as you know) otherwise I get bored out of my tree :whistle:

If you look in Auckland, Gino is more LA style, Paul has a stronger Cuban influence. Still, also Paul does throw LA elements in.

As for On 2, for most people I can't see that make a difference as they can't even dance on 1 consistently :( So it is just another name for dancing off beat. Unless things have improved over the past year.

Anna
14th-July-2005, 07:14 AM
Gino has started to dance on 2 (fashionista).. haha speaking of Gino, Oliver cut him down to size in the body movement workshop last night ..

I'd say some people have improved.. the people who are already "up there" are only getting better.. Julius is looking good.. Paul, definitely (love his style).. but the ones who are still coming through really havent got that timing thing down.. a lot of the intermediae level have terrible timing.

U know little simon who teaches rueda? he and his partner Crystelle are doing the NZ strictly dancing this year! And today, oliver and partner flew to aussie and back for a private audition for the next season of the australian strictly dancing... just a bit of gossip for ya! :innocent: :D

Minnie M
14th-July-2005, 07:53 AM
When I did my "Day of Dance" back in March the (now famous from Eastenders) Miguel, did a Bachata 'Ice Breaker' class

Have to say after all the build up, was a little disappointed :sad: music is good though. Most of the modern jive lot were very disappointed (comments from Clive Long & Andy McG who were there please)

Lynn
14th-July-2005, 10:09 AM
Mix of Cuban and LA is a pretty good description. I do prefer to mix them (as you know) otherwise I get bored out of my tree :whistle: People mix them here too, but I'm not always convinced that its intentional!

I did a On2 class a few months ago and loved it, it seemed smoother to me, don't know why but it really appealed, sadly no-one seems to dance it much (not that I go salsa dancing often for various reasons, mainly because of really smoky venues). And for the right songs On2 isn't off beat - its on beat - and everyone dancing on 1 seems to be off beat.

Andreas
14th-July-2005, 02:06 PM
And for the right songs On2 isn't off beat - its on beat - and everyone dancing on 1 seems to be off beat.

It actually only feels the natural to do to songs that have been written for On 2. The emphasis of the song has shifted and it'd feel wrong dancing them on 1. But that was not wat I insinuated.

David Bailey
14th-July-2005, 05:35 PM
It actually only feels the natural to do to songs that have been written for On 2. The emphasis of the song has shifted and it'd feel wrong dancing them on 1. But that was not wat I insinuated.

I like the salsamafia description of (http://www.salsamafia.com/index.php?Load=Salsa_Bitches.html) dancing on 2 personally: "90% don't do it, and 90% of those will happily dance on 1..."

But then I like salsamafia descriptions of everything, they sound like me, but more, well, witty. :tears:

Lynn
14th-July-2005, 05:41 PM
It actually only feels the natural to do to songs that have been written for On 2. The emphasis of the song has shifted and it'd feel wrong dancing them on 1. But that was not wat I insinuated. That's what I meant - 'right songs for On2' meant 'songs written for On2'. But I'm not very good at salsa, mainly because I don't dance it very often! :tears:

Anna
15th-July-2005, 01:27 AM
That's what I meant - 'right songs for On2' meant 'songs written for On2'. But I'm not very good at salsa, mainly because I don't dance it very often! :tears:

oh i know that feeling only too well.. but not for long, i'm currently undergoing a brutal regime of social-life improvement. its tough but it has to be done.. ive been forcing myself to go out every night this week its just tragic :whistle:

Anna
15th-July-2005, 06:31 AM
Andreas do u have any videos of Bachata moves? Lee and Barry have moved their classes to the Cossie Club and are gonna teach some Bachata.. woohoo! :waycool:

Andreas
15th-July-2005, 01:20 PM
The only one i found you can download from http://dance.kiwi.nu/bachata.wmv

It is an 8MB file so will take a wee while to load. Best you get your mum to load it at uni ;)

Anna
15th-July-2005, 01:36 PM
naaah will give Barry the link and make him do it :D hes the one that wanted it anyway

Andreas
15th-July-2005, 01:46 PM
There isn't much spectacular to see.

Bachata is a simplistic sensual dance. You dance it touch close. In a way you could probably classify it as 'latin blues' in terms of style. A lot of grinding moves. You can do a large number of Merengue moves in Bachata but their execution is usually quite slow. The possibly only move that looks good in Bachata being executed at faster speeds is the pivot.

Anna
15th-July-2005, 01:50 PM
ohh yeah i think Alex White showed me that one..

Anna
15th-July-2005, 02:09 PM
oh, must tell, i had some lovely dances with Vanroe tonight :waycool: (met him back at the NZ champs and had nice dances then and at the Opium club too).. so nice to know a salsa teacher thats still a lovely person!!

(other than yourself that is ;) oh and that guy Stanley, altho i dont know if he actually teaches... )