PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an allergy?

RachD
12th-July-2005, 01:07 PM
(My first Thread!) :nice:

I have been dancing for a year and a half now and the amount of dancers I have met with allergies is making me wonder if there is a link between this and dancing? Are there anymore of you out there suffering like we are? Any unusual allergies? Anyone got any good tips/recommendations?

I am allergic to dairy, wheat, potatoes, rice, egg white and some fruits. I also have hayfever, dust mite allergy and I am allergic to some animal fur. I have eczema and asthma. :sad:

Not a great subject for my first thread, but I had to ask. It's been bugging me as much as (if not more than) my allergies! :wink:

Yours, Curious!
Rach :flower:

JonD
12th-July-2005, 01:58 PM
Horses, cats and dogs - and I love them all. Horses are the worst as I can't see or breathe after a couple of hours exposure to them. Cats and dogs just make me sneeze.

Fortunately I can eat anything. Can you imagine the horror of being allergic to chocolate???

ducasi
12th-July-2005, 01:59 PM
My Mum thinks I'm allergic to work! :wink:

Lory
12th-July-2005, 02:25 PM
Horses are the worst as I can't see or breathe after a couple of hours exposure to them.

:yeah: :sick:
Starting with the worst

Horses
Bee stings
Cats
Latex
Cider
'some' Dry white wines (But I'm extremely good at detecting, usually within a minute, if i'm going to be allergic to it, sometimes just the smell has the ability to make me wheezy)
Dust mites.
Lemon barley
Wheat, but that's a different kind of allergy, not the acute Asthma, swelling and itchy type!

I suppose I'm lucky with my allergies, I can avoid most of them in my everyday life! :)

Lucy Locket
12th-July-2005, 02:59 PM
My Mum thinks I'm allergic to work! :wink:

I KNOW I AM :rofl:

I'm at work now but as you can see, not doing much. off to buy ice creams next. :wink:

Pammy
12th-July-2005, 03:40 PM
Kiwi Fruit makes my lips go numb & swell. Cheap option to botox I guess.

Purple Sparkler
12th-July-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm allergic to Elastoplast. If I use a normal plaster I get a nasty red itchy patch on the skin that it comes into contact with.

And when I was small I was allergic to pine needles- oh the hell of the Christmas when we had a real tree and my allergy kicked in- it made my lips so sore and cracked that they bled, and I was only small! Had to have a fake plastic tree from then on.

Cruella
12th-July-2005, 04:10 PM
Guinea pigs and rabbits. Which is why i don't wear rabbit fur, just dalmation!

Stuart
12th-July-2005, 04:29 PM
I have problems with rape seed pollen and certain types of grass pollens.

Mine isn't linked with my dancing as I suffered from it long before I took up dancing.

philsmove
12th-July-2005, 05:00 PM
Early mornings

drathzel
12th-July-2005, 05:40 PM
shampoo, conditioner and anything with perfume in it when placed above tummy level :tears:

JoC
12th-July-2005, 06:16 PM
I have been dancing for a year and a half now and the amount of dancers I have met with allergies is making me wonder if there is a link between this and dancing?

Congrats on your first thread RachD! :flower:
Based on not much in the way of scientific evidence I would be surprised to hear that dancing had any bearing on a person's allergy sensitivity (never one to dismiss a new theory though).

As I understand allergies are apparently becoming increasingly prevalent in the whole population and could be down to a number of factors, increasing numbers of diagnoses, and changing environmental factors (e.g. increase in chemical loading of our daily environment) amongst others.

Question maybe is did the dancers you've met have their allergies before they started dancing, or is there something particularly attractive about dancing to people with allergies... :grin: ? Maybe the dance gene is enhanced by the presence of an allergy gene?

DangerousCurves
12th-July-2005, 10:29 PM
Hayfever! Plus I can't use any nice bubble bath, shower gels etc - my skin rebels unless I stick to Imperial Leather! :tears:

Just glad I'm not allergic to cats... don't think I could live without them!

Whitebeard
12th-July-2005, 11:19 PM
Latex

That poses a very 'nice' dilemma m'dear in the delicate balance those fortunate enough to be young enough have to consider.

El Salsero Gringo
12th-July-2005, 11:30 PM
LatexThat poses a very 'nice' dilemma m'dear in the delicate balance those fortunate enough to be young enough have to consider.Indeed - that's fantasy no. 2 just blown out of the water.

(Don't ask about fantasy number 1.)

Lory
13th-July-2005, 08:54 AM
Indeed - that's fantasy no. 2 just blown out of the water.

Rubber and PVC are just fine though! :wink: :innocent:

Swinging bee
13th-July-2005, 09:04 AM
:yeah: :sick:
Starting with the worst

Horses
Bee stings
Cats
Latex
Cider
'some' Dry white wines (But I'm extremely good at detecting, usually within a minute, if i'm going to be allergic to it, sometimes just the smell has the ability to make me wheezy)
Dust mites.
Lemon barley
Wheat, but that's a different kind of allergy, not the acute Asthma, swelling and itchy type!

I suppose I'm lucky with my allergies, I can avoid most of them in my everyday life! :)

" BEE STINGS"! nothing to do with me .....

Lou
13th-July-2005, 09:22 AM
Rubber and PVC are just fine though! :wink: :innocent: :rofl: You just made me spill my coffee! Bad Lory.

Seriously, how can you be allergic to latex, but not rubber?

I've had a bad hayfever year, and am also mysteriously allergic to something, but I'm not sure what. It's bringing me out in spots, whatever it is. :tears:

Sparkles
13th-July-2005, 10:01 AM
Indeed - that's fantasy no. 2 just blown out of the water.

So what's fantasy number 1? :whistle: :devil:

El Salsero Gringo
13th-July-2005, 12:12 PM
So what's fantasy number 1? I'd have to show you.

spindr
13th-July-2005, 12:19 PM
So what's fantasy number 1? :whistle: :devil:
ESG's probably got a thing for pony tails :rofl:

spindr
13th-July-2005, 12:31 PM
Vaguely bringing the thread back on track -- yes I guess dancing could affect your allergies -- simply because you're indoors in a man made environment with a different set of pollutants, etc. than if you were home / outside. Plus contact with unknown hand creams, moisturisers, perfumes, aftershaves, etc. Similarly, sweating heavily might affect existing skin conditions - and any extra ablutions before / after dancing might expose you to more soap / detergent than otherwise -- or simply wash the natural oils from your skin.

SpinDr.

Lory
13th-July-2005, 12:59 PM
Seriously, how can you be allergic to latex, but not rubber?

I was having a joke but really but my Latex allergy 'is' somewhat of a mystery, I'm definitly allergic to latex gloves, apparently, this is really common in nurses and hairdressers etc, people who wear them a lot, are much more prone to developing a sensitivity. Also Balloons. (who needs collagen, when you can simply blow a balloon up :rofl: )

But I don't seem to have a problem with erasers. tires and hoses etc? Someone once suggested that it could be something to do with the powder they use to prevent stickyness. :confused:

JonD
13th-July-2005, 01:11 PM
Thinking about it, I do have an allergic reaction that only occurs when I dance. Sometimes I get a really angry weal on the back of my neck - there is a strong burning sensation which is quite uncomfortable. It must be caused by a perfume that a partner has dabbed on her wrist. When I do a comb it gets on my neck. I've never worked out which perfume it is or who wears it because the weal takes a while to develop. It happens infrequently and I've never experienced it while dancing Tango, where nearly every partner's arm is draped round your neck, so it must be a rare and precious perfume.

Suggested solutions please - and no, I won't give up doing combs!

RachD
13th-July-2005, 01:16 PM
Congrats on your first thread RachD! :flower:
Based on not much in the way of scientific evidence I would be surprised to hear that dancing had any bearing on a person's allergy sensitivity (never one to dismiss a new theory though).

As I understand allergies are apparently becoming increasingly prevalent in the whole population and could be down to a number of factors, increasing numbers of diagnoses, and changing environmental factors (e.g. increase in chemical loading of our daily environment) amongst others.

Question maybe is did the dancers you've met have their allergies before they started dancing, or is there something particularly attractive about dancing to people with allergies... :grin: ? Maybe the dance gene is enhanced by the presence of an allergy gene?

Jo, I think you have worded it much better than I did....! :nice:

I don't think my allergies began because of dancing as I have had some of them since birth. But yes, I was trying to work out whether it is a common factor that people with allergies enjoy/are attracted to dancing?

I know a good dance clears my mind of any worries! :nice:

Thanks for all the replies so far... interesting reading! Any more out there?

Sparkles
13th-July-2005, 02:07 PM
I'd have to show you.

Congrats on your 1000th post! :clap:

... do I need any special equipment? :innocent:

foxylady
13th-July-2005, 02:15 PM
I have non-specific rhinitus (thats hayfever to you, but not to 'hay' or other plant material)...

Its seems to occur at any time all year round and I never have any idea why. Although one thing I have noticed, is that when men (at dancing) have 'freshened' themselves up... including deodorant and aftershave.. I start to sneeze uncontrollably... and eyes water and itch etc... It takes dancing with someone not so fresh (but not so not fresh either :sick: ) to set me right, and then I'm OK...

Foxy

Purple Sparkler
13th-July-2005, 02:17 PM
I'd have to show you.

:eek: :what: :rolleyes:
And here was me wondering why so many threads end up going upstairs...

Lynn
14th-July-2005, 12:46 AM
I have been dancing for a year and a half now and the amount of dancers I have met with allergies is making me wonder if there is a link between this and dancing? There is a direct correlation for me - every time I go away on a dancing weekend/holiday - my hayfever disappears :clap:

Now if I could just work out a way to persuade my doctor to write a prescription for dancing weekends on a regular basis...

On a more serious note, I have only developed allergies the past few years, still not sure exactly what I am allergic to but when away in Spain and Southport my allergies vanished completely, maybe because both were at the coast?

El Salsero Gringo
14th-July-2005, 01:00 AM
Congrats on your 1000th post! :clap:Thanks.

... do I need any special equipment? :innocent:You don't. But I do.

Lynn
14th-July-2005, 10:17 AM
Fortunately I can eat anything. Can you imagine the horror of being allergic to chocolate??? Sometimes I am! :tears: To elaborate I get sinus problems which are heightened by certain foods - I was once told foods with acid can cause this response? So dairy esp milk and chocolate (lactic acid I guess), fizzy drinks, oranges, tomatoes etc. Fortunately this only seems to be a problem if my sinuses are already bad eg with a cold - those foods make them worse. But if no cold, they seem to have no effect, or not enough for me to notice.

SilverFox
14th-July-2005, 11:29 AM
I am allergic to narcissistic avatars that are so depressing to look at everyday that I just want to end it all......now.

:what: :what:

RachD
14th-July-2005, 01:08 PM
Sometimes I am! :tears: To elaborate I get sinus problems which are heightened by certain foods - I was once told foods with acid can cause this response? So dairy esp milk and chocolate (lactic acid I guess), fizzy drinks, oranges, tomatoes etc. Fortunately this only seems to be a problem if my sinuses are already bad eg with a cold - those foods make them worse. But if no cold, they seem to have no effect, or not enough for me to notice.

Ever tried Green and Black's choc? Delicious! And no dairy! :nice:

RachD
14th-July-2005, 01:10 PM
So far my poll shows more allergy sufferers than non. I hope all you non-sufferers are voting too?

Seahorse
14th-July-2005, 01:26 PM
spraymount
certain types of beers/wines (recently discovered it might be connected to alcohol purity) no problems with vodka
strong cheeses (linked to histamine intolerance)

and work :blush:

ElaineB
14th-July-2005, 01:26 PM
I have non-specific rhinitus (thats hayfever to you, but not to 'hay' or other plant material)...

Its seems to occur at any time all year round and I never have any idea why. Although one thing I have noticed, is that when men (at dancing) have 'freshened' themselves up... including deodorant and aftershave.
Foxy

I suffer from that as well! Perfume/aftershave/dust/cigarette smoke and eating polo mints (!) all set if off! I keep Kleenex shares high!

Elaine

David Bailey
14th-July-2005, 05:29 PM
I suffer from that as well! Perfume/aftershave/dust/cigarette smoke and eating polo mints (!) all set if off! I keep Kleenex shares high!

Elaine
Just had lunch with someone who has an allergy to anything with oranges in it. That's a new one on me... :what:

Lynn
14th-July-2005, 06:07 PM
Ever tried Green and Black's choc? Delicious! And no dairy! :nice: Was munching on one just the other day...but it was their milk chocolate so I presume it had some milk in it somewhere. Fortunately the sinus problems are only when I have a cold, and haven't had one for over a year so hasn't been a problem for a while.

(Of course now I've said that I'll probably catch one next week! :tears: )

Little Monkey
14th-July-2005, 09:30 PM
(My first Thread!) :nice:

I am allergic to dairy, wheat, potatoes, rice, egg white and some fruits. I also have hayfever, dust mite allergy and I am allergic to some animal fur. I have eczema and asthma. :sad:

Hey, you sound a bit like me!

I'm allergic to dust mites, pollen, cats, some nuts, some fruits, bee and wasp stings, antibiotics and various other medication, jelly fish stings, various cosmetics and detergents and cleaning products, as well as some perfumes, deodorants etc etc. :(

I also have asthma, and get anaphylaxis if stung by wasps or take some kinds of medicines.

Whenever I travel, by bag is like a mobile pharmacy - two different inhalers, antihistamines, cortisone nose spray and epi-pen (adrenaline). :rofl:

Makes life pretty interesting, though, as I still don't know exactly what can cause anaphylaxis! Last time I had it was after taking a painkiller I normally don't use.....

I'm just sooooooooooo happy I'm not allergic to dairy products or gluten!

Little Sensitive Monkey

Daisy
14th-July-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm allergic to loads of irritating things like pollen, cats, some fruits, asprin, housework, ironing etc.etc.

However, one of my worst allergies is metal, especially anything with nickle in it. This makes it really difficult to wear any of the lovely costume jewellary thats around these days :sad:and even buttons on jeans, belt buckles etc will affect me. :tears:

On a happy note though it means that I can only wear gold, silver or platinum! :whistle: :whistle: especially if it has diamonds set in it! :clap:

Little Monkey
14th-July-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm allergic to loads of irritating things like pollen, cats, some fruits, asprin, housework, ironing etc.etc.

However, one of my worst allergies is metal, especially anything with nickle in it. This makes it really difficult to wear any of the lovely costume jewellary thats around these days :sad:and even buttons on jeans, belt buckles etc will affect me. :tears:

On a happy note though it means that I can only wear gold, silver or platinum! :whistle: :whistle: especially if it has diamonds set in it! :clap:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm allergic to doing dishes..... :D

I only react to nickle if I wear earrings with nickle - they make my ear lobes swell up like tomatoes, and get really inflamed. So like you, I tend to stick to silver or gold........ Wouldn't say no to platinum either, though! :whistle:

wicked blue
14th-July-2005, 11:22 PM
Ever tried Green and Black's choc? Delicious! And no dairy! :nice:

mm nice if your not allergic to sugar, which i am - chocolates just the tip of the ice berg, almost everything has sugar in it!! :tears:

also allergic to watches - bring me up in a nasty rash - though that could be seen as a good thing as i'm not looking at my watch all day rushing because i'm late!!!

and then theres the wheat thing...

RachD
17th-July-2005, 02:19 PM
There is a direct correlation for me - every time I go away on a dancing weekend/holiday - my hayfever disappears :clap:

Now if I could just work out a way to persuade my doctor to write a prescription for dancing weekends on a regular basis...

On a more serious note, I have only developed allergies the past few years, still not sure exactly what I am allergic to but when away in Spain and Southport my allergies vanished completely, maybe because both were at the coast?

Sounds familiar. My skin used to clear up of eczema whenever I stayed with my grandparents (they lived by the coast). That's it, I'm moving.... :grin:

My asthma clears if I have a natural adrenaline rush or if I am genuinely shocked by something. Is it possible to bottle this?

Yliander
17th-July-2005, 02:43 PM
I've had a bad hayfever year, and am also mysteriously allergic to something, but I'm not sure what. It's bringing me out in spots, whatever it is. :tears:have you looked at yellow & orange food colourings they are common allergin - often with an acculation factor ie if you have a little you are ok - if you have lot thats when problems happen

I have this problem - come out in giant hives - errrghhh the itching!!!!

that aside i'm only allergic to useful things like penicillin and it's derivities - makes getting an antibotic prescription and sugery rather interesting as the first thing they want to give you is penicillin or one of it's children

Little Monkey
17th-July-2005, 02:59 PM
My asthma clears if I have a natural adrenaline rush or if I am genuinely shocked by something. Is it possible to bottle this?

You just have to do like me - I have to carry an epi-pen (adrenaline syringe) around with me in case of emergencies. So yes, you can 'bottle' adrenaline! :D :rofl:

Monkey

RachD
18th-July-2005, 01:11 PM
You just have to do like me - I have to carry an epi-pen (adrenaline syringe) around with me in case of emergencies. So yes, you can 'bottle' adrenaline! :D :rofl:

Monkey

I challenge you to an 'epi-pen' dance...what are the chances we would be allergic to each other?