PDA

View Full Version : 100 ways to wind up a hot shot

DianaS
12th-July-2005, 10:45 AM
having just read and LOL at the "Saying No! thread there's godda be mileage in ways to wind up a hot shot!
My favourite, a super cool chap who always says no (to practically EVERY ONE) take hold of his shirt and look at his and say

"Will you dance with me? will you!! will you !!!"

He laughed and did
and it still works!
I vary it with taking his shirt and saying in a whiny demanding voice "My turn!!"

(he must have a kid 'cas he sofalls for it!)

Feelingpink
12th-July-2005, 11:14 AM
Or how asking them to dance, be turned down (of course!) and then jump up and down with a huge grin on your face, kiss them enthusiastically and say "Thank you so much! I bet my friend that you would turn me down and I've just won £10!".

drathzel
12th-July-2005, 11:28 AM
Or how asking them to dance, be turned down (of course!) and then jump up and down with a huge grin on your face, kiss them enthusiastically and say "Thank you so much! I bet my friend that you would turn me down and I've just won £10!".

this one i like :rofl: :rofl:

David Bailey
12th-July-2005, 11:29 AM
Halfway through a dance, say quizzically:
"So, how long have you been dancing then?"

Ultimate put-down, happened to me :(

Lory
12th-July-2005, 11:30 AM
When they make an excuse, (resting, drinking etc) sit down next to them and say sweetly, Awe, that's fine, I just wait here, right next to you, untill your ready! ;) :rofl:

Purple Sparkler
12th-July-2005, 11:31 AM
This one I'm USING next time someone turns me down! :rofl:

robd
12th-July-2005, 11:32 AM
Halfway through a dance, say quizzically:
"So, how long have you been dancing then?"

But for someone like me to be asked that (as I was last week) and to see the response to my answer ('6 months') actually made my night :na:
Robert

Purple Sparkler
12th-July-2005, 11:32 AM
Ultimate put-down, happened to me :( :hug:

David Bailey
12th-July-2005, 11:33 AM
:hug:
Aww, thanks. Worst thing was, she asked me ... :confused:

Purple Sparkler
12th-July-2005, 11:35 AM
having just read and LOL at the "Saying No! thread there's godda be mileage in ways to wind up a hot shot!
My favourite, a super cool chap who always says no (to practically EVERY ONE) take hold of his shirt and look at his and say

He laughed and did
and it still works!
I vary it with taking his shirt and saying in a whiny demanding voice "My turn!!"

(he must have a kid 'cas he sofalls for it!)

I often use "Can I have a go?" but I like yours better.

DianaS
12th-July-2005, 11:41 AM
I often use "Can I have a go?" but I like yours better.
It works REALLY well if you get a fist-full of shirt in your hand and tug it at the same time!
He must think I'm a nutter :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Andy McGregor
12th-July-2005, 12:04 PM
how long have you been dancing?I'm regularly asked this one. Usually just after they ask me "what dance is it that you're doing?" :tears:

Groovy Dancer
12th-July-2005, 12:10 PM
When they make an excuse, (resting, drinking etc) sit down next to them and say sweetly, Awe, that's fine, I just wait here, right next to you, untill your ready! ;) :rofl:

I like that. :rofl:

under par
12th-July-2005, 12:35 PM

:rofl: :rofl: so so amusing. :rofl: :rofl:

jivecat
12th-July-2005, 01:07 PM
I like that. :rofl:

I'll try it on you next time - if I'm brave enough. (Most unlikely, whimper.)

alex
12th-July-2005, 01:33 PM
dancer: would you like to dance to this one?
hotshot: i suppose so
dancer: thats a shame. i dont

DianaS
12th-July-2005, 02:02 PM
ask his mate to dance..
...and ask his mate to ask his mate to ask YOU to dance...
preferably in front of the hot shot who turned you down a few minutes ago

And ask his mate to ask his mate to make you look really good,
and thank you loudly
and say ...
(fill in the rest for yourself) This is getting too self indulgent and sad!

Lucy Locket
12th-July-2005, 03:02 PM
ME TOO !!!!

Lucy Locket
12th-July-2005, 03:03 PM

Think i'm gonna use this one, the look on his face (whoever he is) is gonna b worth it :cheers:

MartinHarper
12th-July-2005, 03:09 PM
Compliment an area of their dancing they don't know about and won't like when they find out. Bonus marks for just making something up.
Eg, for someone who takes their dancing too seriously: "I love that cute little head shimmy you do during the arm jive. It looks so silly - cracks me up every time!"

Lory
12th-July-2005, 03:19 PM
He he he just thought of another! :D

It'll work best if there's a group of you!

Elect an 'asker' and send them in.... :cool:

should the Hotshot 'refuse', 'make an excuse' or just looked 'very unimpressed' by your request...

look them in the eye and say

Ha, I'd heard ALL the rumours about you but I really wanted to check for myself.. :whistle:

Then walk away 'shouting' loudly to your friends, 'Yes Yes Yes, I see what exactly what you mean now, he IS a pratt!' :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lory
12th-July-2005, 03:20 PM
It looks so silly - cracks me up every time!"
:rofl:

Minnie M
12th-July-2005, 03:46 PM
how about ..... when the dance finishes say :

"well done"

:whistle:

JonD
12th-July-2005, 04:07 PM
I read a lovely post by Borikensalsero on a US based dance forum in which he described how he'd dealt with a hot shot. (He's one of the moderators on the forum and clearly a very accomplished and humble dancer)

Anyway, the story goes that Borikensalsero was visiting a venue where he wasn't known. He asked a woman for a dance and was horrified when she replied "I haven't seen you dance. No". Half an hour later the girl came up to Borikensalsero, who had been wowing the floor in the meantime with a couple of other partners, and asked him to dance. He replied "I've seen you dance. No".

Shame that I'll never be good enough to do that! But then I've never really encountered any "hot shots" - just lucky I guess.

Sparkles
12th-July-2005, 04:15 PM
This has been tried and tested :whistle:

Once a 'hotshot' actually said 'yes' to me, and we danced and he did the same move about four times in the space of a minute, so I looked at him and said "Is that your move of the month or something?", he immediately tried throwing all these difficult moves at me and when I coped with them all he seemed to see me in a different light.

I don't have any problems getting dances with him anymore, and sometimes I deliberately ask someone else if I see him heading in my direction just to p1ss him off. :innocent:

S. x

DianaS
12th-July-2005, 04:15 PM

should the Hotshot 'refuse', 'make an excuse' or just looked 'very unimpressed' by your request...

Ha, I'd heard ALL the rumours about you but I really wanted to check for myself.. :whistle:

Then walk away 'shouting' loudly to your friends, 'Yes Yes Yes, I see what exactly what you mean now, he IS a pratt!' :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My mate makes me ask for her but then she is only 16
Thanks to PaulF and SilverFox who whisked her around like true gents.. She had a lovely night!! :cheers:

One of my mates asks me to ask the really good dancers ('cas shes only 26 and shy)
I ask them if they will dance with her, (she's georgeous and they don't say no), but I don't ask them if they will dance with me cas I'm too shy :blush:
AND they never ask me either :tears: :tears:
somethings wrong here

Groovy Dancer
12th-July-2005, 04:20 PM
I'll try it on you next time - if I'm brave enough. (Most unlikely, whimper.)

And if you do, we'll have a drink while we wait for the next set :wink:
(does this means I am a hotshot? :innocent: )

Buttons
12th-July-2005, 04:33 PM
It must be a lonely life being a 'hot shot'!! The rest of us are dancing our cotton socks off whilst they sit on the side lines. :tears: :worthy:

DianaS
12th-July-2005, 04:42 PM
It must be a lonely life being a 'hot shot'!! The rest of us are dancing our cotton socks off whilst they sit on the side lines. :tears: :worthy:
:flower:

Trish
12th-July-2005, 05:03 PM
Great thread DianaS - it's really made me laugh! :hug: :cheers: :rofl:

LMC
12th-July-2005, 05:10 PM
The fourth or fifth time they p*** you off, walk off the floor and leave them standing there.

Particularly effective in a beginner's class - and SO empowering :D

It was only day 3 of not smoking and to be fair I did apologise later - and so did he - but he's never asked me to dance :rofl:

JoC
12th-July-2005, 05:27 PM
I ask them if they will dance with her, (she's georgeous and they don't say no), but I don't ask them if they will dance with me cas I'm too shy :blush:
somethings wrong here
Here have a motivational shoulder massage in the style of a boxing coach, (knead knead knead) now get back in the ring lady!

Petal
12th-July-2005, 05:50 PM

Or, do it the Perth way "Pick me, Pick me, Pick me" in a very loud voice while clapping hands and jumping about. :clap: :whistle:

Petal
12th-July-2005, 05:51 PM

That's a winner. :rofl:

Petal
12th-July-2005, 05:55 PM
somethings wrong here

I go to classes and parties with two female friends who get asked to dance but lots of different people, but they don't ask me. Trying to work out what i do wrong. :sad:

Andy McGregor
12th-July-2005, 06:34 PM
I go to classes and parties with two female friends who get asked to dance but lots of different people, but they don't ask me. Trying to work out what i do wrong. :sad:Perhaps you look worried. Stop worrying, stop waiting to be asked and get out there and ask. I'm only asked to dance a few times a night, I like to think it's because I'm so quick to ask my next partner they don't have time to catch me when I'm free - I'm not going to put this theory to the test by waiting to be asked :whistle:

ChrisA
12th-July-2005, 10:01 PM
Eg, for someone who takes their dancing too seriously: "I love that cute little head shimmy you do during the arm jive. It looks so silly - cracks me up every time!"
Don't be ridiculous... as if any self-respecting hotshot would ever do an arm-jive. :devil:

bigdjiver
13th-July-2005, 01:06 AM
Perhaps you look worried. Stop worrying, stop waiting to be asked and get out there and ask. I'm only asked to dance a few times a night, I like to think it's because I'm so quick to ask my next partner they don't have time to catch me when I'm free - I'm not going to put this theory to the test by waiting to be asked :whistle:I had been doing MJ for a long while before I found out how pervasive the "always accept" rule was. I was quite saddened by the idea that many of my partners only accepted because they "had to". I hate the idea.

I decided to put myself to the test, and wait to be invited. If I got no invitations I was going to consider giving up.

It was long slow 10.15 before I was invited. "You don't remember me, do you?" she asked. I confessed not. "You gave me my first freestyle dance" she said, "I am a teacher now." This counts as one of my magic moments. I did not realise that that moment meant so much to her, and she did not realise that this moment meant so much to me.

Zebra Woman
13th-July-2005, 07:50 AM
Don't be ridiculous... as if any self-respecting hotshot would ever do an arm-jive. :devil:

Yeah true, but it would wind them up if they think you thought that they did! :devil:

DianaS
13th-July-2005, 10:10 AM
Okay truth and dare to all who care
Go up to the hot shot that's hottest in your venue next time your out and try and pull him or her for a dance

Then come back and tell ALL :D :devil: :waycool: ;)

Petal
13th-July-2005, 11:35 AM
Perhaps you look worried. Stop worrying, stop waiting to be asked and get out there and ask. I'm only asked to dance a few times a night, I like to think it's because I'm so quick to ask my next partner they don't have time to catch me when I'm free - I'm not going to put this theory to the test by waiting to be asked :whistle:

I do ask, but after two bad experiences, being refused dances, my confidence took a dent, and although my friends are confident enough to ask anyone to dance, i'm not. I tend to watch to see who i think i could follow and ask them.
I think i'm just going through a spell of lack of enthusiasm for mj, and maybe should try something else for a while, or just have a break. :confused:

ducasi
13th-July-2005, 11:54 AM
I go to classes and parties with two female friends who get asked to dance but lots of different people, but they don't ask me. Trying to work out what i do wrong. :sad: Oh, Petal... :hug: Next time I'm in Perth I promise I'll ask you to dance. :flower:

One thing I've found about my own behaviour is that I am less likely to ask taxi dancers (even when off-duty), either because I think they are (or should be) busy with beginners (when on-duty), or because I have a feeling of awe towards them based on them being god-like dancers when I was just beginning.

Don't know if that's your problem...

Oh, the other thing, re: asking. I'm always more likely to ask girls I've danced with before. So, a girl who's asked me to dance is always more likely to get asked back. :nice:

Petal
13th-July-2005, 12:24 PM
One thing I've found about my own behaviour is that I am less likely to ask taxi dancers (even when off-duty), because I have a feeling of awe towards them based on them being god-like dancers when I was just beginning.

Don't know if that's your problem...

:nice:

I don't think it's anything to do with being a taxi, although some guys have made similar comments to you. There are much better dancers than me out there, i saw a few of them on saturday at Glasgow, but they seem to have the knack of asking guys before they've even left the dance floor, maybe i just need to develop my technique and pounce quicker. :whistle:

Petal
13th-July-2005, 12:28 PM
"You don't remember me, do you?" she asked. I confessed not. "You gave me my first freestyle dance" she said, "I am a teacher now." This counts as one of my magic moments. I did not realise that that moment meant so much to her, and she did not realise that this moment meant so much to me.

:hug: :flower:

ducasi
13th-July-2005, 12:40 PM
... saw a few of them on saturday at Glasgow I feel really stupid now – how did I miss you on Saturday??? :tears:

... they seem to have the knack of asking guys before they've even left the dance floor, maybe i just need to develop my technique and pounce quicker. :whistle: Works for me! :wink:

Anna
13th-July-2005, 01:23 PM
Speaking of winding up a hot shot, :blush: i think i really freaked out Oliver Pineda tonight when he caught me drooling and staring at him dreamily from across the room .. but how am i supposed to concentrate when he looks like this..

http://www.7flavours.com/art_chor_more.php?ArtistID=103

and wiggles his gorgeous form so enticingly?!?! :yum:

haha and so what if it was a movement workshop.. :whistle:

clevedonboy
13th-July-2005, 02:05 PM
Speaking of winding up a hot shot, :blush: i think i really freaked out Oliver Pineda tonight when he caught me drooling and staring at him dreamily from across the room .. but how am i supposed to concentrate when he looks like this..

http://www.7flavours.com/art_chor_more.php?ArtistID=103

and wiggles his gorgeous form so enticingly?!?! :yum:

haha and so what if it was a movement workshop.. :whistle:

Not my type i'm afraid :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
14th-July-2005, 09:15 AM
...because I have a feeling of awe towards them based on them being god-like dancers when I was just beginning.

Hehehe.

Actually, I remember dancing with a girl soon after I started, who seemed quite competent in the beginner's class - so I asked how long she had been doing Ceroc. "A while," she said, " - I used to be a Taxi dancer, but I got a bit bored with it."

As she said that, my universe did a perspective shift so overpowering I nearly lost my balance. You mean to say there are people who for whom being a taxi-dancer didn't mark the pinnacle of a dancing career? That some people had made it "through to the other side?" In one instant, the visible horizons of dance had receeded by a million miles.

Purple Sparkler
14th-July-2005, 10:41 AM

I really WAS resting when someone did this to me last night!

Does that mean they think I'm a hotshot? :eek: :sick:

Andy McGregor
14th-July-2005, 11:01 AM
Does that mean they think I'm a hotshot? :eek: :sick:Don't worry, Hotshot is all in the mind of the person doing the labelling - maybe he fancied you :wink:

Purple Sparkler
14th-July-2005, 11:24 AM
maybe he fancied you :wink:

Oh please, lord, NO! :sick: I like him, but it's purely platonic. He's a good bloke, but just...no. Just no.

under par
14th-July-2005, 11:29 AM
Oh please, lord, NO! :sick: I like him, but it's purely platonic. He's a good bloke, but just...no. Just no.

That's negative then!

You mean NO is that correct?

lets be a little bit more precise/positve in saying what we mean PLEASE :angry:

I hate having to read between the lines for subliminal messages! :devil:

Purple Sparkler
14th-July-2005, 11:33 AM
That's negative then!

You mean NO is that correct?

lets be a little bit more precise/positve in saying what we mean PLEASE :angry:

I hate having to read between the lines for subliminal messages! :devil:
HELL NO!

Clearer now? :wink:

under par
14th-July-2005, 11:37 AM
HELL NO!

Clearer now? :wink:

Why thankyou for that, you just cleared my earwax blockage.

You didn't have to shout quite so loud though, you know you've woken up my elderly partially deaf neighbour from 4 doors away.

ChrisA
14th-July-2005, 12:06 PM
Don't worry, Hotshot is all in the mind of the person doing the labelling
By George, I think he's got it.

Have some rep. :cheers:

under par
14th-July-2005, 12:08 PM

Have some rep. :cheers:

Makes note in diary Chrisa and Mr McGregor agreed on something.

Lucy Locket
14th-July-2005, 12:14 PM
I don't think it's anything to do with being a taxi, although some guys have made similar comments to you. There are much better dancers than me out there, i saw a few of them on saturday at Glasgow, but they seem to have the knack of asking guys before they've even left the dance floor, maybe i just need to develop my technique and pounce quicker. :whistle:

you have to be ready to pounce & halfway there before the end of the track, so as soon as the music finishes you grab, forget the fact he was going to have 2 dances with her, it's YOUR turn :whistle: :whistle:

Petal
14th-July-2005, 12:18 PM
you have to be ready to pounce & halfway there before the end of the track, so as soon as the music finishes you grab, forget the fact he was going to have 2 dances with her, it's YOUR turn :whistle: :whistle:

Tried that, and the look i got from the female was icy. Seriously, i'm just so scared i'll be rejected that's why i'm slow to ask, but i've decided i have to develop a thick skin and accept i won't always get to dance with my chosen partners. :(

under par
14th-July-2005, 12:20 PM

On particularly busy nights when there are many ladies over I often help out Mrs Par and a few others by asking who their next "target" is for a dance?

I then make a slow progress across the dance floor in the general direction of the "target" to be situated next to him at the conclusion of the track, therefore putting my dance partner in poll position for asking "target" for next dance.

I will take requests at Ashtons friday for a small fee. :rofl:

Purple Sparkler
14th-July-2005, 12:24 PM
On particularly busy nights when there are many ladies over I often help out Mrs Par and a few others by asking who their next "target" is for a dance?

I then make a slow progress across the dance floor in the general direction of the "target" to be situated next to him at the conclusion of the track, therefore putting my dance partner in poll position for asking "target" for next dance.

I will take requests at Ashtons friday for a small fee. :rofl:

Depending on who shows up tomorrow that I want to dance with, do you accept beer, or is it just credit cards?

Lucy Locket
14th-July-2005, 12:28 PM
Tried that, and the look i got from the female was icy. Seriously, i'm just so scared i'll be rejected that's why i'm slow to ask, but i've decided i have to develop a thick skin and accept i won't always get to dance with my chosen partners. :(

Knuckle Dusters !!! Works everytime :) :) Not to dance in just to fight your way through to your target.
Maybe you should have lassoo practice & reign your objective to you :innocent:

Andy McGregor
14th-July-2005, 12:36 PM

Have some rep. :cheers:I've always had it. Nobody is going to label themselves a hotshot so it's got to be in the mind of the person doing the labelling.

But that doesn't mean they don't exist. In a similar vein, I expect Amin or Saddam didn't think they were evil despots :wink:

DianaS
16th-October-2005, 09:40 PM
Okay truth and dare to all who care
Go up to the hot shot that's hottest in your venue next time your out and try and pull him or her for a dance

Then come back and tell ALL :D :devil: :waycool: ;)
I took my own dare! :whistle: :devil:

Last Saturday I went and asked a guy who only dances with about 6 women EVER and turns everyone else down . He's turned me down 3 times in the last 2 years and NEVER accepted a dance ....

He was there at Daventry, and with Witty Bird egging me, on I approached him and asked him if he would like to dance... as impecabley as ever he explained that he was just about to have a drink but if I pointed out where I was sitting he would come and find me laterl
He has lovely manners -
- But an hour later he hadn't found me, and I was leaving I waved him goodbye.

Last night he was at Solihul, (yes I said I'd never dance there again but I as very pee-ed off at not dancing Friday night.) I approached him apologised for leaving before our dance last week and offered him the opportunity to dance which he graciously accepted.

the music then changed and a lovely swing number came on
He is as good as he looks...
...actually better.
A lovely gentle lead, intricate but followable footwork, perfect non-jive improvisations and excellent floorcraft.
He's obviously spent a long time working on his craft and developing his art.

I'll not ask him to dance again now, as the dance was for me perfect, I followed him well played, with the music and responded to him elegantly.

I'll quit while I'm ahead and still a pleasant memory..

Worth waiting 2 years for, and definately something to aim for while I practice my ballroom and latin...

Has anyone else got something to tell? I'd love to hear it
D