PDA

View Full Version : Proxies

azande
12th-July-2005, 09:49 AM
Does anybody surf using proxies? What are the advantages? And the disadvantages/limitations?

I have been looking at whether it is worth using them but I only found very discordant opinions (yeah right, like I will not find them here! ;) )

Thanks!

ducasi
12th-July-2005, 11:57 AM
I, unfortunately, have to surf through proxies. :sad:

At work it's a real pain cos it needs to be manually configured, it's quite slow and it keeps blocking me from certain "more interesting" web sites. :whistle:

At home all (port 80) web browsing goes through NTL's "transparent" proxies which quite often over-cache and don't want to serve up the most recent content of web sites. :angry:

However, by choice, I use a personal proxy called Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org) which lets me do cool things, like get rid of annoying flash-based adverts and pop-ups. :nice:

drathzel
12th-July-2005, 12:25 PM

At work it's a real pain cos it needs to be manually configured, it's quite slow and it keeps blocking me from certain "more interesting" web sites. :whistle:

At home all (port 80) web browsing goes through NTL's "transparent" proxies which quite often over-cache and don't want to serve up the most recent content of web sites. :angry:

However, by choice, I use a personal proxy called Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org) which lets me do cool things, like get rid of annoying flash-based adverts and pop-ups. :nice:

WOOOOSH

Zebra Woman
12th-July-2005, 06:15 PM
WOOOOSH

Yup

He's just parted my hair too... :really:

:rofl:

drathzel
12th-July-2005, 06:17 PM
Yup

He's just parted my hair too... :really:

:rofl:

oh i am sooo glad, thought i was the only one! :rofl:

ducasi
12th-July-2005, 06:31 PM
When someone asks a technical question – they're going to get a technical answer.

If you don't understand it, please don't let it trouble your pretty little heads. :nice:

*patronising pat on the head*

drathzel
12th-July-2005, 06:34 PM
When someone asks a technical question – they're going to get a technical answer.

If you don't understand it, please don't let it trouble your pretty little heads. :nice:

*patronising pat on the head*

WOOOOW look mum, a talking motorbike!!!!! :rofl:

ducasi
12th-July-2005, 06:37 PM
Look, someone who can't get her vB code tags right in her signature!!! :wink:

David Bailey
12th-July-2005, 06:56 PM
Look, someone who can't get her vB code tags right in her signature!!! :wink:
She's probably too busy, you know, having dates and stuff... :innocent:

BTW, I didn't think your explanation was too techie, does that make me Officially Sad? :eek:

ducasi
12th-July-2005, 07:03 PM
She's off to the class I'm going to be late for!

Perhaps Zebra Woman or Drathzel, when she gets back, can decide whether we are both officially sad.

drathzel
13th-July-2005, 09:21 AM
Yes you are both officially sad! :rofl:

Magic Hans
13th-July-2005, 09:51 AM
Yes you are both officially sad! :rofl:

Which may not be great ..... however, it's a darn sight better that being sadly official!!!! [in my humble opinion as full paid up member of the unofficial anti-establishment/global/capitalist/freeze .... in fact everything arnarchy party]

Lucy Locket
13th-July-2005, 09:55 AM

WOW!!!! didn't know you could talk dirty :rofl: :rofl:

David Bailey
13th-July-2005, 10:54 AM
Which may not be great ..... however, it's a darn sight better that being sadly official!!!! [in my humble opinion as full paid up member of the unofficial anti-establishment/global/capitalist/freeze .... in fact everything arnarchy party]
I love it when people say they're a member of an anarchist party, it just cracks me up... Almost as good as the Anarchist Uniform... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ducasi
13th-July-2005, 11:10 AM
WOW!!!! didn't know you could talk dirty :rofl: :rofl:
I could do down-right filthy – but I don't want to be labelled officially even sadder. :tears: