View Full Version : Beach Boogie

Msfab
11th-July-2005, 01:14 PM
Ok less than two weeks to go until the Isle of Wight Beach Boogie :clap:

Just wondered who else will be there? :D

Danielle
11th-July-2005, 01:17 PM
me, me, me!!!! :clap: :clap:

its my first time there, so very excited!!!

Is anyone else getting the 9am ferry, prehaps we could all meet up, stop for lunch somewhere en route??

Msfab
11th-July-2005, 01:21 PM
me, me, me!!!! :clap: :clap:

its my first time there, so very excited!!!

Is anyone else getting the 9am ferry, prehaps we could all meet up, stop for lunch somewhere en route??

It’s also our maiden voyage to the beach boogie!

We're getting the lunchtime ferry. Unlucky us weren’t able to get chalets at the centre so staying in Sandown instead :sad:

Msfab
11th-July-2005, 01:24 PM
What about the Cowboys and Indians theme night? Do you have suitable attires sorted? :rolleyes:

Danielle
11th-July-2005, 01:28 PM
It’s also our maiden voyage to the beach boogie!

We're getting the lunchtime ferry. Unlucky us weren’t able to get chalets at the centre so staying in Sandown instead :sad:

I don't think it should make much difference, from what i've heard we spend very little time in the chalets anyway!!! :D :D

Can't wait!! 6 whole nights of dancing non stop!!! am planning to start early and dance till 2am on the friday night before heading down!!! just to get me in the mood!!!

Danielle
11th-July-2005, 01:30 PM
What about the Cowboys and Indians theme night? Do you have suitable attires sorted? :rolleyes:

oppps, totally forgot about that :blush: what are yoy wearing????

DianaS
11th-July-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi We're coming too...
I went last year and had such a chilled time I booked again! It was really good to spend a week just chilling and dancing...
I found that the waves were bid enough for body boarding so I'm bringing my surf gear this year!
Some bits and peices were really essential so I put a list together..
Here goes... How big are your bags??... :flower:

Beach boogie

My To bring list

Domestic
Fridge
Iron
Sandwich toaster
Liquidiser
Multiplug socket
Picnic bag

First aid
Freeze spray
Ibuprofen cream
FootSpa
Hotwater bottle

Play
Wet suits
Body boards
Beach rug
Waterguns
Dressing up clothes

Sleeping
Duvet, pillows and sheets
Clothes and shoes

Gojive
11th-July-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi We're coming too...
I went last year and had such a chilled time I booked again! It was really good to spend a week just chilling and dancing...
I found that the waves were bid enough for body boarding so I'm bringing my surf gear this year!
Some bits and peices were really essential so I put a list together..
Here goes... How big are your bags??... :flower:

Beach boogie

My To bring list

Domestic
Fridge
Iron
Sandwich toaster
Liquidiser
Multiplug socket
Picnic bag

First aid
Freeze spray
Ibuprofen cream
FootSpa
Hotwater bottle

Play
Wet suits
Body boards
Beach rug
Waterguns
Dressing up clothes

Sleeping
Duvet, pillows and sheets
Clothes and shoes

"Fridge" ??? - Will it fin alongside the kitchen sink in the car then Diana? :waycool:

Sadly, I'm gonna have to miss this year's BB :(

Have a great time if you're going, and if you 've never been before....well, I'll leave it to you to find out :wink:

Danielle
11th-July-2005, 05:07 PM
"Fridge" ??? - Will it fin alongside the kitchen sink in the car then Diana? :waycool:

Have a great time if you're going, and if you 've never been before....well, I'll leave it to you to find out :wink:

Don't joke - i've just emailed my friends asking if they have one i can borrow!!! :blush:

.............and leave us to find out what????????? please tell!!! am scared now!!!! :innocent:

Msfab
11th-July-2005, 05:30 PM

Thanks for that Gojive! Now like danielle, im slightly worried :sick:
Can you please elaborate?

Gojive
11th-July-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for that Gojive! Now like danielle, im slightly worried :sick:
Can you please elaborate?

Well Danielle/MsFab, it's like this.......hang on a sec, the phone's ringing (it's probably my psychiatrist confirming my next appointment - just a little something I've had to do, since BB 2004).....so, back to the BB 2005....how can I put this?....do you own a decent pair of wellies each? :eek:

Danielle
11th-July-2005, 05:47 PM
Well Danielle/MsFab, it's like this.......hang on a sec, the phone's ringing (it's probably my psychiatrist confirming my next appointment - just a little something I've had to do, since BB 2004).....so, back to the BB 2005....how can I put this?....do you own a decent pair of wellies each?

ummmm...........errrrr.........no!!!
I was planning a week of peaceful sunbathing followed by copious amounts of alcohol then lots of lovely dancing till the sun comes up - is this not the case!!! i can't dance in wellies :eek:

Gojive
11th-July-2005, 05:55 PM
I was planning a week of peaceful sunbathing followed by copious amounts of alcohol then lots of lovely dancing till the sun comes up -

You were? :eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i can't dance in wellies :eek:

Neither could I at the time...... :whistle:

Ok, to be serious for a moment........ok, that's long enough :D

Trust me, you'll have such a fun week. The whole concept of Beach Boogie is "Fun Dancing", and fun is what you will have. Look out in particular, for the "It's a knockout" games :waycool: . It's worth getting yourself a ringside seat and a few drinks to hand for this one!

spindr
11th-July-2005, 06:14 PM
.............and leave us to find out what????????? please tell!!! am scared now!!!! :innocent:
If you find a place that looks like "Colditz" -- don't drive past -- you've arrived.

The facilities can look a bit offputting for 5-10 mins, until the music/alcohol starts flowing -- then it's great fun :)

SpinDr.

P.S. I think there's some sort of jewellery outlet/shop just down the road -- maybe that's what you're not supposed to find out about.

Msfab
12th-July-2005, 12:40 PM
P.S. I think there's some sort of jewellery outlet/shop just down the road -- maybe that's what you're not supposed to find out about.

Great thats at least a few afternoons sorted!

Rhythm King
12th-July-2005, 01:06 PM
I was planning a week of peaceful sunbathing followed by copious amounts of alcohol then lots of lovely dancing till the sun comes up - is this not the case!!! i can't dance in wellies :eek:

Ahh, bless! It's not a "Dance Holidays" sort of holiday you know - it's serious fun, with custard pies, fab classes, water pistol action, amazing cabarets, custard pies, and fabulous freestyles til the early hours and oh, did I mention the custard pies. . . But no pressure :whistle:

BTW, a fridge is a really good idea, I've taken one for the last 3 years - after all you've got to chill the drinks haven't you :waycool:

R-K :flower:

Lindsay
12th-July-2005, 01:10 PM
Really sorry not 2 be able to make it this year, but for anyone else thinkin' about it- GO!
It is the best value for money, best teachers, top DJs, and without doubt the most fun you will have at any dance camp in the UK....
Hope to be there next year....

Enjoy... :cheers:

Rhythm King
12th-July-2005, 02:41 PM
Really sorry not 2 be able to make it this year,
:tears:

It is the best value for money, best teachers, top DJs, and without doubt the most fun you will have at any dance camp in the UK....
:yeah:

Danielle
12th-July-2005, 03:42 PM
OK am now getting the distinct impression that alcohol is seriously required :eek: getting worried!!!

MartinHarper
12th-July-2005, 04:00 PM
Idle curiosity: anyone going to the Swing Beach Boogie?

Cruella
12th-July-2005, 04:24 PM
OK am now getting the distinct impression that alcohol is seriously required :eek: getting worried!!!
You must take water pistols too. They are essential!!

Msfab
12th-July-2005, 05:19 PM

This list of things to take is becoming endless :eek:

Think we maybe need to get a list of essentials together for this week of dancing and custard pies! :rolleyes:

Ok so ill start it off!
Kitchen sink
Shower
Fridge
Beach
Sun :whistle:

Danielle
12th-July-2005, 05:23 PM

is that to help squirt the alcohol into your body faster??? :whistle:
(we used to do that on girlie holidays with tequila when i was alot younger!! )

Rhythm King
13th-July-2005, 10:51 AM
is that to help squirt the alcohol into your body faster??? :whistle:
(we used to do that on girlie holidays with tequila when i was alot younger!! )

What? - Last year? :whistle:

Nobody's mentioned a full length mirror yet. The year before last one of the ladies who camped actually brought one, in her little hatchback, after reading the what-to-bring list. It had to stand outside her tent 'cos it didn't fit inside.

PJH
15th-July-2005, 12:09 PM
I've just signed up, yay :nice:
Is anyone going from South west london- or somewhere easy to get to from Clapham Junction? as a lift share would be great :grin:
Peter

Msfab
18th-July-2005, 04:13 PM
Anybody heard about dressing up in all things sparkly on one of the nights? :sick:

Rhythm King
18th-July-2005, 05:57 PM
Anybody heard about dressing up in all things sparkly on one of the nights? :sick:

You mean...

"Like A Rhinestone Cowboy"

:rofl:

Danielle
22nd-July-2005, 12:15 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: yeah am off first thing tomo morning - can't wait now :D

has everyone got fancy dress - cos i haven't, feel like a bit of a spoil sport :o but just haven't had the time to make anything! :tears:

Am off to the colesseum tonight for 4 hours + of amazing dancing to get me in the mood - then heading straight for the ferry as its so early!!(no bed for me tonight :eek: :eek: ) Is anyone else doing anything tonight equally silly tonight or are you all being sensible and saving yourselves???

very excited now!!!!

Lory
22nd-July-2005, 12:28 PM
very excited now!!!!
I just want to wish you and everyone else who's going a good time and I hope the weather stays fine for you all! :hug:

PJH
1st-August-2005, 10:42 AM
Wow,
Beach Boogie was an utterly amazing holiday, there were loads of great classes( especially having an aerial done on me!), lots of superb dances to be had, dance styles to play with, and most importantly custard pies :clap:
I'd now love to sleep for a week!

wicked blue
2nd-August-2005, 09:22 PM
Wow,
Beach Boogie was an utterly amazing holiday, there were loads of great classes( especially having an aerial done on me!), lots of superb dances to be had, dance styles to play with, and most importantly custard pies :clap:

and not forgetting the unforgettable experiences that you had dancing with other men!! :wink:

Just Wiggle
3rd-August-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by PJH
Wow,
Beach Boogie was an utterly amazing holiday, there were loads of great classes( especially having an aerial done on me!), lots of superb dances to be had, dance styles to play with, and most importantly custard pies

and not forgetting the unforgettable experiences that you had dancing with other men!!

or having your arse grabbed!! :rolleyes:

mooncalf
3rd-August-2005, 12:10 PM
or having your arse grabbed!! :rolleyes:

Oh and while you're here Just Wiggle, well done for winning the best blues newcommer.

Msfab
3rd-August-2005, 12:30 PM
Oh and while you're here Just Wiggle, well done for winning the best blues newcommer.

:yeah: and to ChrisH who did it with her!

Also well done to Mary and Tony for winning the ariels competition. Which is the first time the Pigs gone back home! :worthy:

RachD
3rd-August-2005, 12:31 PM

:nice:
Congratulations!
You kept that one quiet....

Chef
3rd-August-2005, 02:10 PM
Beach Boogie – The aftermath.

Wow. Ankles and legs only now just easing off with all the aching. This is now my fourth Beach Boogie and the things I loved about it were.

The opportunity to be completely immersed in dance with none of lifes other considerations to divert my attention.

Spending time with other people just as nutty about dance as I am.

The teachers pantomime, cabarets and other non dancing entertainments are just superb. At one point when Johnny and Amir were performing a slow motion gun fight in the style of the Matrix and Platoon I had to find a tissue to wipe the tears of laughter from my face. Adam and Taz choreographed a piece that 3 couples performed during the punters cabaret – and they did an excellent job of performing it.

The stress was on technique. In most of the classes that I chose the actual moves were there to illustrate the required technique. Amir and Johnny both gave excellent classes that were short on quantity of moves but rich in the technique that unlock any move that you would decide to do in the future. Nigel and Ninas classes were superb as usual (no I am not on commission) and Cat (and Amir) gave an utterly superb west coast swing course. I have been nibbling at this dance for a while and never really getting hold of it due to the lack of frequency of my lessons. This course was supposed to be 4 lessons long but a sudden cancellation by some other teachers meant that we got a bonus extra two lessons. It would be unfair to single any teacher out because they were all fab in their own way. The only problem was that with at least two classes going on at once I could only be in one.

What didn’t work for me was.

It rained. Tor Fleming was in charge of sunshine and she fell down on her job compared to other years.

On three of the nights there was still pop music going on at 2am. Just a personal taste but I like the music to become slower and more sophisticated as it gets later. It is for this reason that I usually only hit the dance floor at 11:30pm.

I found the floor a bit hard to turn on (minor point).

The announcements in the evening go on way too long.

At the end of the holiday we were so in the mood for dancing that we drove straight off of the ferry, up the M3 and went dancing at Bookham for the evening. Now I am fearful of going out “into the wild” because I just know (from previous experience) that the first lady that grabs me and thumps my hand up and down to the music will break the spell.

So – you guys (bit of a Johnny moment there) what did you like/dislike about it?

Andy McGregor
3rd-August-2005, 02:17 PM
I just know (from previous experience) that the first lady that grabs me and thumps my hand up and down to the music will break the spell.I think it depends what you're holding in your hand at the time :whistle:

DianaS
3rd-August-2005, 02:58 PM
Now I am fearful of going out “into the wild” because I just know (from previous experience) that the first lady that grabs me and thumps my hand up and down to the music will break the spell.

So – you guys (bit of a Johnny moment there) what did you like/dislike about it?
Hi Chef
It was brill I didn't mind the rain, except when it came through the roof... and still feel on a high
I woke up the other night dreaming that I was at a BB freestyle. I was still dancing when I woke and couldn't understand why I was in bed and why I was in my own bedroom in the Isle of Wight. It was really confusing I got up to go out and realised that I was at home and it was all over for another year :tears:
last night I went dancing and THEY DIDN'T DO IT RIGHT It felt really strange and I felt very isolated...
It feels as though my new skills start to wane, and I reduce back into the background...
It is really hard reentering the real world, but thanks for the nice dances Chef and it was great meeeting Commis Chef at last!!

Msfab
3rd-August-2005, 03:37 PM
Beach Boogie – The aftermath.
Spending time with other people just as nutty about dance as I am.

Yes it was great spending time with people into dance just as much as me! If I ever go the next time I will make sure to book up early to get a self catering chalet, rather than staying in Sandown. which meant we couldnt really pop back for a little snooze or cup of Tea! It was great meeting other dancers from around the country and spending more time with the people I already knew! ;)

The teachers pantomime, cabarets and other non dancing entertainments are just superb. At one point when Johnny and Amir were performing a slow motion gun fight in the style of the Matrix and Platoon I had to find a tissue to wipe the tears of laughter from my face. Adam and Taz choreographed a piece that 3 couples performed during the punters cabaret – and they did an excellent job of performing it.

The best of the entertainment for me by far was the teachers Cabaret (the Saloon). The Johnny and Amir slow motion thing :worthy: Bullets and all! WOW :clap: :clap: :clap: Worth buying the DVD for that alone!

What didn’t work for me was.
It rained. Tor Fleming was in charge of sunshine and she fell down on her job compared to other years.

We only had sun on Thursday and Friday :clap: Think I did 4 classes outside in the sun, with Johnny and Gary and Sara from gloster! Wished there could of been more dances outside in the Sun, totally different atmosphere with the sunshine and breeze blowing! Great fun! :waycool:

On three of the nights there was still pop music going on at 2am. Just a personal taste but I like the music to become slower and more sophisticated as it gets later. It is for this reason that I usually only hit the dance floor at 11:30pm.

The Music was odd, but on the whole good. DJs could of propably thought about the dancers more, faster songs after a long day and 3-4 hours of freesytle isnt good for anyone! But As usual you cant keep a crazy dancer down! :innocent:

I found the floor a bit hard to turn on (minor point).
i actually found it easier to dance in my normal shoes rather than my dance shoes. The floor was a bit too grainy! :cool:

Thank you to all I danced with :flower:

Sheepman
3rd-August-2005, 04:44 PM
we couldnt really pop back for a little snooze or cup of Tea! You only had to ask, we had plenty of tea, though I suppose the bed would have got a bit overcrowded!

I had a great time too, though in some ways not as good as previous years. Mostly down to that floor, which has always been perfect in the past, but often felt like dancing on sticky sand this time. The first couple of nights the crowd was thin, but this improved as the week went on. All the lessons I did were excellent, as expected.

One of the performances of the week has to be that of Chef and Rob, on blues night, this routine never fails to bring a tear to my eye :whistle:

Greg