PDA

View Full Version : 15th + 16th July

Paul F
10th-July-2005, 11:11 PM
My names Paul and I have a problem. :D

Its coming up to the weekend (only 6 days to go) and I am wondering which events to go to.

I was originally going to do the Ashtons/Hammersmith combo on the Fri and Sat respectively but i need some advice.
What are these nights like these days. Its been a while since I went to either of them so I could do with some help. :blush:

I would go to other events but I chose these as they go on longer.

Lory
10th-July-2005, 11:15 PM
I was originally going to do the Ashtons/Hammersmith combo on the Fri and Sat respectively but i need some advice.
What are these nights like these days.
Come to Ashtons on Friday and you can dance with me! :na: :flower:

Northants Girly
10th-July-2005, 11:21 PM
:na:
Come to Ashtons on Friday and you can dance with me! :na: :flower:That sounds like a good idea :waycool:
Come on Midlands girlies - who's gonna come down with me? :D

Of course you guys are invited too :rolleyes:

Lory
10th-July-2005, 11:26 PM
:yeah: The more the merrier! :flower:

under par
11th-July-2005, 01:52 AM
Because I have to be at work early the following days long distance trips to London on both night will be out . :mad:

So Saturday has to be the Summer Beach Ball at Dorking Halls in Surrey.

Not to far to travel (for me and Mrs Par ) :clap: :yeah:

Lucy Locket
11th-July-2005, 08:23 AM
:na: That sounds like a good idea :waycool:

i wouldn't mind. never been to ashton's, always wanted to go

Cruella
11th-July-2005, 08:45 AM
:na: That sounds like a good idea :waycool:

Was thinking of going to Oxford for the Jive+ beach party, but will possibly be persuaded to come to Ashtons. Depends where all the lovely men are going!!! So if you are such a man, let us know your destination for friday. :flower:

SilverFox
11th-July-2005, 09:04 AM
Ashtons for me. Fantastic venue. Great music. (So long as Bob doesn't take his eye off the ball :blush: :flower: )

Cruella
11th-July-2005, 09:18 AM
Ashtons for me. Fantastic venue. Great music. (So long as Bob doesn't take his eye off the ball :blush: :flower: )
Ok thats one lovely man for Ashtons! Any more? No more rummaging offers though SF, i don't wish to be No 6 thank you. Or has that number gone up since then??? :rofl:

SilverFox
11th-July-2005, 09:39 AM
No more rummaging offers though SF, i don't wish to be No 6 thank you. I needed to tick the "Whilst wearing a hat" box. :D

David Bailey
11th-July-2005, 09:40 AM
:yeah: You mean, like, oh I dunno, playing "Swing City"? :innocent:

Why yes, I do hold grudges, why do you ask?

Andy McGregor
11th-July-2005, 09:58 AM
So long as Bob doesn't take his eye off the ball :blush: :flower:He's still got one? :whistle:

Zebra Woman
11th-July-2005, 10:19 AM
:yeah: You mean, like, oh I dunno, playing "Swing City"? :innocent:

Why yes, I do hold grudges, why do you ask?

'....Music's red hot and the girls are pretty,
Saddle up the horses now we're going to Swing City...... '

Yeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaarrr :devil:

Oi! Some people love that track. :innocent: I have had fab dances both times it was played. Admittedly the second time I had two refusals from guys who recognised the track and just couldn't face it again. :sick:

(I think it also has something to do with the fact that Bob plays a kind of 12" version of it ) :devil:

LMC
11th-July-2005, 10:23 AM
Ashtons for me too :D

Is it OK to park in the B&Q carpark evenings? The only time I've been to Ashtons is for a workshop and parking was limited to customers or pay and display or something (I had to find on-street parking anyway).

Purple Sparkler
11th-July-2005, 10:32 AM
For those among us who are both Ceroc and Harry Potter addicted, a cunning plan is afoot to go to Ashtons and then to the midnight opening of A Bookshop to get the Half Blood Prince!

Tessalicious- any further details on said cunning plan?

Lory
11th-July-2005, 10:41 AM
Oi! Some people love that track. :innocent:
ZW and I usually have spookily similar tastes in music :waycool: but there is the odd exception to the rule! ;)

I HATE IT! :angry: :tears: :sick: (with a passion) :)

Rebecca
11th-July-2005, 11:12 AM
ZW suggested that myself and Captain Fantastic could accompany a few of the lovely ladies down to Ashtons this Friday. With the potential line up above I'd say I'm definately in (if that's still ok Alison?). Will be my first time :innocent:

Come on fellas, let's be'avin'ya :clap:
Paul, after those fab dances on saturday I insist you choose Ashtons :worthy:

Zebra Woman
11th-July-2005, 11:30 AM
ZW suggested that myself and Captain Fantastic could accompany a few of the lovely ladies down to Ashtons this Friday. With the potential line up above I'd say I'm definately in (if that's still ok Alison?). Will be my first time :innocent:

Come on fellas, let's be'avin'ya :clap:
Paul, after those fab dances on saturday I insist you choose Ashtons :worthy:

Yup count yourselves in Rebecca :hug: :hug: .

Miss Conduct is coming and hopefully my friend Liz too. So that's my car totally full :clap: . Will PM rendezvous details.

ZW :flower:

Paul F
11th-July-2005, 12:02 PM
Sounds like another big night may be on the cards :clap: :clap:

If I do go down (and I probably will) I am more than happy to give people a lift down there. I will be coming from Leeds way so if anyone lives, at least vaguely, near the M1 corridor let me know and I will swing by and pick you up ......oooer! :nice:

<Edited>
Just remembered. The offer above still stands but unless you want to stay over and do the full weekend I cant give you a lift back on the Friday :sad:

David Bailey
11th-July-2005, 12:09 PM
Is it OK to park in the B&Q carpark evenings?
Absolutely, that's where most people park. Never had any problems parking there. There's a security guy as well, so it's probably as safe or safer than the street.

Alas, I'll be elsewhere, but have fun.

Andreas
11th-July-2005, 12:24 PM
Latest predictions have produced a very high probability that I'll be there, too. If my tube makes it in one piece, anyway.

And what a nice change: I don't have to work the following day! I have actually got a weekend off, should I not inflict work on myself. YAY

SilverFox
11th-July-2005, 12:36 PM
For those among us who are both Ceroc and Harry Potter addicted, a cunning plan is afoot to go to Ashtons and then to the midnight opening of A Bookshop to get the Half Blood Prince!I hope that Singleton's sofa is comfy...... :whistle:

Purple Sparkler
11th-July-2005, 12:38 PM
I hope that Singleton's sofa is comfy...... :whistle:

What, I can't like Harry Potter AND be a sex bomb? :eek:

Well I wish someone had told me sooner!

Paul F
11th-July-2005, 11:24 PM
Well , my grand plan is coming together....I think.

Im going to do Ashtons on Friday night, I think im going to try a new venue (new to me) on Saturday at the Summer ball in Dorking.

And just when I thought the weekend was over I noticed that there is a tea dance on at Milton Keynes on the Sunday. :clap: Its on the way home!

Could I be that crazy and just go for all 3? :what:

Minnie M
11th-July-2005, 11:27 PM
I am going to the King Alfred on Friday - the last night :tears: gonna miss Viktor :tears: :tears:

Then Dorking on Saturday (save me a dance please Paul) :clap:

Paul F
11th-July-2005, 11:30 PM
Then Dorking on Saturday (save me a dance please Paul) :clap:

Its a deal. I missed out at MJC but not this time :D

Missy D
12th-July-2005, 11:14 PM
I will be coming to Ashtons sporting my tan as just come back from Spain!! look forward to seeing everyone. :clap: :clap:

Saturday think i will go and see War of the Worlds!

Lory
13th-July-2005, 06:34 PM
I will be coming to Ashtons sporting my tan as just come back from Spain!! :clap: :clap:
I'm not going to stand too close to you then! :tears:

Looking forward to seeing you too!

There's a few birthday people celebrating too! BobGadget, ZebraWoman and NewKid, who's actual birthday is on that day!

Saturday think i will go and see War of the Worlds!
If it's nice, like today, i'll be here! (http://www.picnicconcerts.com/kenwood.asp)

And the following Saturday too, cos that's MY birthday and NOTHING's on that weekend :tears: :tears: :tears:

We won't be in the area where you have to pay, as the weather in England is just too unpredictable but we find it's just as good, just outside the ropes...

I love these concerts, (you should see some of the picnics that some people arrive with :really: :drool: , I'm amazed they don't arrive with a butler too)

It says on the website that chairs aren't allowed at Kenwood, that's not true, that only applies to 'inside' the paying enclosure!

My advise is, if your planning to go, get there extremely early as the parking can be a nightmare!

If anyone fancies sharing some grass (turf :devil: ) with some of the clique, then send me a PM!

Note.... picnic to impress! :waycool: :wink: :rofl:

And bring a torch!

bobgadjet
14th-July-2005, 12:50 AM
Sorry ZW, NO SWING CITY on Friday.................. BUT

How about the l o n g version of Havana ?

AND

The L O N G version of Sweet Home Chicago ?

I may also have a few other memory jerkers for you, especially if I am prompted.

Zebra Woman
14th-July-2005, 11:49 AM
Sorry ZW, NO SWING CITY on Friday.................. BUT

No sweat, a very good idea Bob ! So far I'm the only person I know who likes it.. :blush:

How about the l o n g version of Havana ?

AND

The L O N G version of Sweet Home Chicago ?

I may also have a few other memory jerkers for you, especially if I am prompted.

Mmm yes please Bob, a L..o..n..g Havana would be great....

(BTW neither Lory or I like SHC, although Newkid might)

We now have 4 car loads coming down including 7 people making their Ashtons debut ! (all lovely people and fab dancers too :clap: ).

See you there :hug:

Lucy Locket
14th-July-2005, 11:59 AM
Looks like i'll be coming for the first time, so be gentle :D

under par
14th-July-2005, 12:05 PM
Against my better sane judgement, I think mrs par and I will take the plunge and traverse the lengths of tarmac of the south coast in the direction of north London and try and get to Cricklewood Broadway. :yeah: :cheers:

This despite the fact I have to be up at 0615 to go to work Saturday morning.(### Dedication uh huh dedication's what you need.###)

I've seriously got to see a doctor. :whistle: :what:

If all works out well we will get there by 2130ish. :D

Look forward to some great dancing. :drool: :yum:

after work saturday its off to airconditioned Dorking with the Beach ball theme get to wear my speedos again :eek:

Purple Sparkler
14th-July-2005, 12:15 PM
Looks like i'll be coming for the first time, so be gentle :D

Hurrah! I'll sit by the DJ booth- come find me!

Lucy Locket
14th-July-2005, 12:19 PM
Hurrah! I'll sit by the DJ booth- come find me!

will do :clap: :clap:

David Bailey
14th-July-2005, 12:34 PM
Hurrah! I'll sit by the DJ booth
What, you've drawn Swing City watch? :innocent:

latinlover
14th-July-2005, 01:32 PM
Was thinking of going to Oxford for the Jive+ beach party, but will possibly be persuaded to come to Ashtons. Depends where all the lovely men are going!!! So if you are such a man, let us know your destination for friday. :flower:

Modesty :eek: prevents me from including myself in the "lovely man" category(where is the vomiting smilie??) :whistle:
but I intend to be there Friday, so save me a dance please ,Miz deVille :flower:

Purple Sparkler
14th-July-2005, 05:19 PM
BOB!

Can we have 'Do You Love Me' by the Contours? Pleeeeeeeeeeease?

And/or but preferably and :flower: 'Love Man' by Otis Redding?

Not that I'm having a Dirty Dancing moment or anything...

David Bailey
14th-July-2005, 05:27 PM
No sweat, a very good idea Bob ! So far I'm the only person I know who likes it.. :blush:
:yeah: X lots and lots and lots

Although, my partner seemed to enjoy herself, so maybe there are two of you ... people... :whistle:

Cruella
14th-July-2005, 07:08 PM
Modesty :eek: prevents me from including myself in the "lovely man" category(where is the vomiting smilie??) :whistle:
but I intend to be there Friday, so save me a dance please ,Miz deVille :flower:
Any man that's going to be gentle with me on friday is lovely. I've got a neck/shoulder injury at present :tears: so am intending to take it easy if i can resist the pull of the dancefloor. But of course you will be one of those lovely men. :flower:

Andreas
14th-July-2005, 08:20 PM
Any man that's going to be gentle with me on friday is lovely. I've got a neck/shoulder injury at present :tears: so am intending to take it easy if i can resist the pull of the dancefloor. But of course you will be one of those lovely men. :flower:

Of course! I will talk to you! :rofl:

Paul F
14th-July-2005, 10:01 PM
Well, only a few hours to go :nice:

Im really looking forward to this. Its like a variation of a weekender for me :wink:

The B+B is booked.

Hopefully I will get to meet some more of you tomorrow.

:hug:

Lucy Locket
14th-July-2005, 10:03 PM
Well, only a few hours to go :nice:

Im really looking forward to this. Its like a variation of a weekender for me :wink:

The B+B is booked.

Hopefully I will get to meet some more of you tomorrow.

:hug:

Dance pleeeeeeeeese :flower: :flower: :flower:

Paul F
14th-July-2005, 10:06 PM
Dance pleeeeeeeeese :flower: :flower: :flower:

We HAVE to get someone to introduce us. I was really dissapointed not to have danced with you at Daventry......or did I? :blush:

Lucy Locket
14th-July-2005, 10:09 PM
We HAVE to get someone to introduce us. I was really dissapointed not to have danced with you at Daventry......or did I? :blush:

No you didn't, oh goodie, that means at least 2 dances coz you owe me one. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cruella
15th-July-2005, 08:14 AM
I'll introduce you (after i've danced with you that is) :whistle: Blackmail works wonders!!

LMC
15th-July-2005, 09:17 AM
Sweet Home Chicago - no strong opinion plus I'm now not sure whether I'm going to be able to make it tonight :sad: - but trust me, I will make EVERY effort & hope to see y'all later :flower:

David Bailey
15th-July-2005, 09:27 AM
Sweet Home Chicago - no strong opinion
Hmmm, I think it's one of those ones that really depends on who you're dancing with.

As a lead, if you're lucky enough to be dancing with ZW, for example, a long track with oodles of breaks can be heaven. If you're dancing with someone less experienced / talented, the MJ Time Dilation effect comes into play... :eek:

LMC
15th-July-2005, 09:31 AM
Hmmm, I think it's one of those ones that really depends on who you're dancing with.

As a lead, if you're lucky enough to be dancing with ZW, for example, a long track with oodles of breaks can be heaven. If you're dancing with someone less experienced / talented, the MJ Time Dilation effect comes into play... :eek:

MJ Time Dilation effect applies to followers too - I know I'm not up to "All that Jazz" and the other one I can't remember that comes up a lot :tears:

David Bailey
15th-July-2005, 09:41 AM
MJ Time Dilation effect applies to followers too - I know I'm not up to "All that Jazz"
Me neither, if that's any consolation :)

PJH
15th-July-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm not going to stand too close to you then! :tears:

Looking forward to seeing you too!

There's a few birthday people celebrating too! BobGadget, ZebraWoman and NewKid, who's actual birthday is on that day!
If it's nice, like today, i'll be here! (http://www.picnicconcerts.com/kenwood.asp)

And the following Saturday too, cos that's MY birthday and NOTHING's on that weekend :tears: :tears: :tears:

We won't be in the area where you have to pay, as the weather in England is just too unpredictable but we find it's just as good, just outside the ropes...

I love these concerts, (you should see some of the picnics that some people arrive with :really: :drool: , I'm amazed they don't arrive with a butler too)

It says on the website that chairs aren't allowed at Kenwood, that's not true, that only applies to 'inside' the paying enclosure!

My advise is, if your planning to go, get there extremely early as the parking can be a nightmare!

If anyone fancies sharing some grass (turf :devil: ) with some of the clique, then send me a PM!

Note.... picnic to impress! :waycool: :wink: :rofl:

And bring a torch!

Kenwood house 'free' concerts are great, i've heard rumours that if you get there for around 3ish you can get into the enclosed area for free.

I'm coming to Ashtons tonight for the first time and looking forward to it :grin:

Lory
15th-July-2005, 09:56 AM

Just been informed that there IS something on on my birthday (23rd) :na:

Harrow ceroc beach party - 7-12pm with Robin and Tezi Djing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I hope some of you can come? :flower:

Purple Sparkler
15th-July-2005, 09:56 AM
MJ Time Dilation effect applies to followers too - I know I'm not up to "All that Jazz" and the other one I can't remember that comes up a lot :tears:

Do you mean 'Big Spender'? I love that one (with the right partner of course)!

And David- if you're there tonight I demand to dance a dance with lots of breaks with you (just to get an opinion about whether I'm any good at them). :flower:

Gojive
15th-July-2005, 10:16 AM

Hmmm.....perhaps? :wink:

Well everyone seems to be heading to southern venues this weekend, while I head north to the midlands :tears: . Oh well, Solihull it is for me on Saturday - still, it's another one to add to my collection I suppose :sick:

Northants Girly
15th-July-2005, 10:45 AM
Hmmm.....perhaps? :wink:

Well everyone seems to be heading to southern venues this weekend, while I head north to the midlands :tears: . Oh well, Solihull it is for me on Saturday - still, it's another one to add to my collection I suppose :sick:I wouldn't go go to there again unless I had steel toe capped boots and lots of body armour :sick:

However, there's now 2 car loads coming down to Ashton's tonite from the Midlands! :clap: :clap:

Gojive
15th-July-2005, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't go go to there again unless I had steel toe capped boots and lots of body armour :sick:

However, there's now 2 car loads coming down to Ashton's tonite from the Midlands! :clap: :clap:

Oh b*gger! :tears: . It's either that or no dancing for me then. As far as I know, it's the only freestyle within a one hour drive from Stoke-on-Trent on Sat.....and since I'm coming up by train, I can't even bring my knight's outfit :yum: . Oh well :(

David Bailey
15th-July-2005, 11:57 AM
And David- if you're there tonight I demand to dance a dance with lots of breaks with you
I've been seduced by The Other Venue - well, OK, am doing a salsa class there.

(just to get an opinion about whether I'm any good at them). :flower:
Oh yeah, that sounds like something I'd really enjoy doing....

LMC
15th-July-2005, 04:14 PM

No, it's the one with the "down on the strip" chorus which is still driving me mad 'cos I can't remember the name of the b****r or who did it :mad: - love the song, can't dance to it for sh**e tho' :blush:

Purple Sparkler
15th-July-2005, 04:28 PM

Hmph.

Fine, your loss. *goes off muttering darkly about hotshot dancers...* ;)

Zebra Woman
15th-July-2005, 04:56 PM
No, it's the one with the "down on the strip" chorus which is still driving me mad 'cos I can't remember the name of the b****r or who did it :mad: - love the song, can't dance to it for sh**e tho' :blush:

At The Strip by Swingerhead perhaps?

Zebra Woman
15th-July-2005, 04:58 PM
Just been informed that there IS something on on my birthday (23rd) :na:

Harrow ceroc beach party - 7-12pm with Robin and Tezi Djing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I hope some of you can come? :flower:

:clap: :cheers: :clap: :cheers: :clap: :cheers: :clap:

OH YES !! I'll be there with my 'Reef Sandals' on :innocent:

Lucy Locket
15th-July-2005, 05:06 PM

Thought you were coming to Ashton's!!! I'm absolutely gutted & distraught :tears: :tears: you were the only reason i was going

Oh woe is me :tears: :tears:

Ok enough drama, your loss, all these lovely ladies & you won't be dancing with any of us. :worthy:

foxylady
16th-July-2005, 02:01 AM
Just got back from a storming night at Ashtons !!!

Lovely to meet and dance with you PaulF!!! Some great dances.... it was packed and hot and sweaty but FUN :clap: :clap: !!! Most embarrassing moment when it was pointed out that my right boob was soaking wet (and very obviously so), from the man I had been dancing with previously !! but boy it was worth it ! :wink:

And IMHO Bob didn't play a clanger all night !

Only regret was that I didn't get to dance to any of the Lindy tunes with Rhythm King....

El Salsero Gringo
16th-July-2005, 02:29 AM
And IMHO Bob didn't play a clanger all night !Quite true. I propose his new nickname should be "Bob One-Kenobe", after this evening's eclectic mix.

And Bob, please please please play Donna Summer's I Feel Love next time.

jockey
16th-July-2005, 03:39 AM
What, I can't like Harry Potter AND be a sex bomb? :eek:

Well I wish someone had told me sooner!
(If I knew how to do it I would just have the top half of the above)
Indeed the problem of Monism, rife in the intellectual firmament. Simply, nothingbutness. Ifd you are known for something you cant be something else as well.. Literally "Oneness". This notion infects the concept of "personality": we are all supposed to be the same person over time; rather we are all motley collection of different personalities, admittedly over the same time and occupying the same body (ie the same space). In my case I have a PhD so, naturally, being an intellectual, I"m no good in bed. You like reading books which evokes carpet slippers and coal fires. This clipping of multidimentiality into easy chunks of one dimensional reality (e.g.,. stereotypes) does neither of us any favours eh, Miss Purple?

Lory
16th-July-2005, 10:14 AM
storming night at Ashtons !!!

:yeah:

I had a brilliant night! Wow, how hot was it :really: but although the majority of us were a little damp (to say the least) our spirits certainly weren't. :na:

There was a MASSIVE forum turnout, I tried to have a little count up but I lost it at 30 :eek: :clap:

ZW pulled her dare off brilliantly, it was SO LOUD too! :devil: :really: :worthy: I was in hysterics! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When 'Sweet home Chicago' came on, I knew it was going to be the extended version, so I thought I know I'll nick Marc's (as in Marc and Rachels)swapping idea and with the aid of Underpar, we messed everyone up a little, :na: it seemed to go down well, well I hope everyone saw it as a bit of fun anyway? :blush: :D

It's always nice to meet new forumites :hug: and for some, it was their first time to Ashtons and I'll make a bet, it won't be their last time either! :wink:

Well done Bob and Erick :cheers:

I'd be interested to hear what Newkid and PHJ thought now they've met some of us? :)

Lucy Locket
16th-July-2005, 11:35 AM
Brilliant time last night. Nice to meet so many of you. Had some great dances. But it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hot!!!!!!!
:clap: :flower: :cheers:

Zebra Woman
16th-July-2005, 11:44 AM
What a night! It was the hottest night. Music was very good (except Reet Petite and Lucky Lips) a few more slow ones would have been nice in the heat.... Well done Bob and Erick :clap: :clap: . I made no requests yet Guitarra G , Whatever Lola Wants, Perhaps, Cliff some lovely Cha Chas too..they were all there.

Thank you for my Birthday dances those who dared...That's the first time I have ever done that. I never join in when it's a friends Birthday dance (too shy). But from now on I definitely will.

My dare...well yes that was surprisingly easy :drool: Thanks to SF for the crucial hair pull :drool: and to all those people who chose to sit out Havana in order to coach me/witness it. Now that's what I call perverted :eek: ...no I mean dedicated ! :D

The partner swap was great for me, one small snag. The guy who lost FoxyLady and got me said 'Oh, I had waited all night to get a dance with that lady :sad: '. Did you ever get back to him Foxy?

I said 'She ain't no lady' ...(er...no I didn't :rofl: )

Made loads of introductions, AFIK all of the debs enjoyed their debut.

Roll on next Saturday :clap: :cheers:

ZW :flower:

LMC
16th-July-2005, 12:41 PM
At The Strip by Swingerhead perhaps?

It is, thanks (& thanks to Chef for PM-ing me on the same!). I expect I shall forget though, I'm useless at remembering song titles/artists and connecting them with the tune/lyrics.

Really lovely to put faces to so many names last night :) :hug: - sorry I didn't get to chat to FoxyLady, although she was pointed out to me. Funny story: my non-forum friend was asked by someone if she had 'another name' and was very confused... her partner asked if she was NewKid :rofl: . So whoever you are, sorry I missed you too. Sure there are others, look forward to catching up another time - maybe Harrow next week? :cheers: :clap:

Only 'downside' was there only being one fan :sad: and the cost of the drinks - a 'cover charge' for a pint of sky juice is fair enough, but a quid for tap water is taking the p*** IMO. It was soooooooo hot that I sat out more than I normally would have done (far too lazy to ask people to dance although I only turned down one - having been tipped off that he is a stinker - thanks :wink: )

I had a fab time, although it's a loooooooong time before I'm going to forgive whoever set me up for the birthday dance, I'm still too new to want to be on such an empty floor - and where's the sisterhood, I was on the floor the whole time? :tears: Big thanks to the lovely guys who danced with me on that one (and the rest of the night in fact) :clap:

I'll be back....

Andreas
16th-July-2005, 12:42 PM
What a night! It was the hottest night.

I did wonder why you chose to lie down in the middle of the dance floor at some point but this explains it all! :whistle: :innocent: :rofl:

Andreas
16th-July-2005, 12:47 PM
and the cost of the drinks - a 'cover charge' for a pint of sky juice is fair enough, but a quid for tap water is taking the p*** IMO.

I totally agree. Charging 1 pound for a glass of tap water is just gross. Where I come from tap water is free service but I'd even be inclined to pay a nominal fee for it (cleaning glasses etc. but ...

I didn't go as far as sitting out unless I needed to drink or get changed, though :D

El Salsero Gringo
16th-July-2005, 12:53 PM
I totally agree. Charging 1 pound for a glass of tap water is just gross. Where I come from tap water is free service but I'd even be inclined to pay a nominal fee for it (cleaning glasses etc. but ...The subject even has its own thread, here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4424).

LMC
16th-July-2005, 01:58 PM
The subject even has its own thread, here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4424).

:blush:

you can always trust me to open cans of worms :rofl: - have performed thread necromancy if anyone wants to comment further. Apologies for dragging this thread OT

Because despite the water issue, Ashtons is a *great* venue (would be even better with air con or another big f*** off fan :wink: ) and I had a good time, thanks to all :nice: :flower: :hug:

El Salsero Gringo
16th-July-2005, 02:38 PM
:blush:

you can always trust me to open cans of worms :rofl: - have performed thread necromancy if anyone wants to comment further. Apologies for dragging this thread OTNot at all. I'm happy to read about or discuss it anywhere, but I thought you might like to know what other people have already written. And taking a leaf from McGregor's book, the more noise that gets made about it, the more likely something is to change.

LMC
16th-July-2005, 02:44 PM
And taking a leaf from McGregor's book, the more noise that gets made about it, the more likely something is to change.

:non-existent little zipped mouth guy: :rofl:

stewart38
16th-July-2005, 03:38 PM
Well i was stuck in a hotel last night so missed Ashtons :whistle:

what are poeple doing tonite ?

LMC
16th-July-2005, 03:43 PM
Amersham probably, but haven't got a grass skirt so will be dressed boring.

Northants Girly
16th-July-2005, 08:27 PM
The partner swap was great for me, one small snag. The guy who lost FoxyLady and got me said 'Oh, I had waited all night to get a dance with that lady :sad: The partner swap was good fun - I thnk I danced with at least 6 guys in one song - it was abit like try before you buy :wink:
(exept that I had danced with all of them before :na: )

However - next time we do it please can we have some warning?

Let's just say I know how FoxyLady's partner felt :whistle:

Clive Long
17th-July-2005, 01:12 AM
<< cut >> Funny story: my non-forum friend was asked by someone if she had 'another name' and was very confused... her partner asked if she was NewKid :rofl: . So whoever you are, sorry I missed you too. << cut >>

Clive Long being misdirected by Rhythm King, at your service. I thought I'd be David James for the evening, but I'd have been rumbled.

I said to Tamsin (?) it was fate that brought us together .

Sorry to every laydee I danced with for being like Eric Morecambe in the "Singing in the Rain" sketch.

I used to loath Ashtons, now it is my top venue. Oh, so fickle.

Clive

Paul F
17th-July-2005, 03:50 AM
:clap:
Yep, got to agree it was a great night.
I was so pleased I got to meet, and dance with, so many of you :hug: :hug:

Also, I thought the music was excellent. I love Latin and there certainly was plenty of it :clap: :clap:

I actually drove past the venue when I got there :nice: The last time I had been there it was in a different building which, for those who dont know, they have subsequently knocked down :what:
I know my dancing may not have been up to scratch the last time but thats taking things a bit far. If they didnt want me to come back they could have just said so :wink:

Charging for water. Well, plenty has been said in the years gone by. I have just come to accept it. A lot of venues do it and I can see why. Is it too much......yes. 50p I would accept.

All in all a great night.

HOWEVER :blush:

The temperature in there was the highest I think I have ever danced in. It was impossible to cool down. I wont be returning in the summer months :(

--------------------

Just a quick note on the night I had tonight. The Leroc Summer Ball in Dorking (Dorking Halls).
Credit where credit's due, thats what I say. That venue is simply superb.
It was so cool inside the hall itself due to the aircon :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: .

(am i the only person who would be willing to pay a premium to dance in a cool venue?)

The lighting was subtle and well thought out with various spotlights illuminating each table in a different colour.
The seperate bar and chillout area was ideal.

The only thing that really detracted from being the perfect venue ...for me...was the floor. Apparently they are due to re-lay it. It had LOTS of holes that had been covered up with some kind of sticky tape. Terrible :mad:
I suppose that is something that can be fixed though. When it is I will certainly be making a trip back.
Especially if I can dance with Minnie again :hug:
I

Minnie M
17th-July-2005, 11:01 AM
..........Just a quick note on the night I had tonight. The Leroc Summer Ball in Dorking (Dorking Halls).
Credit where credit's due, thats what I say. That venue is simply superb.
It was so cool inside the hall itself due to the aircon :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: .

(am i the only person who would be willing to pay a premium to dance in a cool venue?)

The lighting was subtle and well thought out with various spotlights illuminating each table in a different colour.
The seperate bar and chillout area was ideal.

The only thing that really detracted from being the perfect venue ...for me...was the floor. Apparently they are due to re-lay it. It had LOTS of holes that had been covered up with some kind of sticky tape. Terrible :mad:
I suppose that is something that can be fixed though. When it is I will certainly be making a trip back.
Especially if I can dance with Minnie again :hug:
I

Yes PLEASE your a fabby dancer :worthy: , really enjoyed my dances with you, wanted to come back for another, but you didn't seem to leave the floor :whistle:

You forgot to mention that there was a fresh cold water fountain with plastic cups for all to use AND the bar sold coffee and cakes :yum: ALL evening :worthy:

The floor was bad but that was because they had taped over the parts that needed to be attended to with that brown sticky tape :sick: they should have use duck tape at least we could have danced over them - I have been there many times and this was the first time ever I moaned about the floor - shame, as it could have been avoided HOWEVER, we will have a beautiful new floor VERY shortly :clap: :clap:

There was over FOUR hours freestyle, however a lot of people started leaving at midnight because they were tired - strange :confused: how they manage to dance all night at weekenders

Colin Shaul & Coleen always put on a good evening and the hall they pick are always good and they ALWAYS think of us dancers RESPECT :worthy: and THANKS (I know they put a lot of effort into their events)

David Bailey
17th-July-2005, 11:33 AM
I thought I'd be David James for the evening, but I'd have been rumbled.
Nah, I've been faking it for years now, no-one's ever rumbled me, it's easy.

Absolutely not - see my plaintive plea (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5613) on this very topic a few weeks ago.

Minnie M
18th-July-2005, 07:58 AM
.....Absolutely not - see my plaintive plea (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5613) on this very topic a few weeks ago.
:yeah: Decent Air Con or at least two of those big fans PLEASE :cheers:

David Bailey
18th-July-2005, 09:41 AM
:yeah: Decent Air Con or at least two of those big fans PLEASE :cheers:
I heard the one fan was by the door - was this to circulate air in from the outside?

Or maybe it was to punish people who danced by the stage (and the DJ) :whistle:

Rebecca
18th-July-2005, 09:48 AM
I was an Ashton's virgin until Friday night, and I'm pleased to say that the journey was well worth it. I had an entire night of fantastic dances.

Thank you to all who danced with me (if you know who I am - i didn't tend to introduce myself as being on the forum). It was lovely to be introduced to a few of you - special thanks to Zebra for that.

Hopefully I'll make it down again very soon,

Rebecca :hug:

mooncalf
18th-July-2005, 09:59 AM
I was an Ashton's virgin until Friday night, and I'm pleased to say that the journey was well worth it. I had an entire night of fantastic dances.

Thank you to all who danced with me (if you know who I am - i didn't tend to introduce myself as being on the forum). It was lovely to be introduced to a few of you - special thanks to Zebra for that.

Hopefully I'll make it down again very soon,

Rebecca :hug:

You didn't need to introduce yourself, there were plenty of forum spotters in the room and thank you.

Rebecca
18th-July-2005, 10:28 AM
You didn't need to introduce yourself, there were plenty of forum spotters in the room and thank you.
:flower:

Purple Sparkler
18th-July-2005, 11:52 AM
I had a great night on Friday! Lots of excellent dances- thanks especially to Rhythm King for the double trouble with me and Tessalicious on stage- such fun. :D

Had the sexiest dance I've ever had to one of the more Jango-suited songs. Left me really quite breathless (no I don't fancy the guy I was dancing with- not that he's unattractive- but still. Wow.)

Great to see lots of Forumites, meet the odd new one, and watch NewKid and Zebra Woman having birthday dances.

Only three slight snaggles: I didn't get to join in on 'Sweet Home Chicago', having not actually been asked to dance on that one. Maybe next time. :)

And it seems I didn't meet half of the Forum people who were there! Again: maybe next time, chaps.

And I missed Zebra Woman doing her dare- I wish I HADN'T been asked on that song! All I saw was Lory doing an impression of the following smily: :worthy: and ESG ****ing himself laughing. Oh well.

PJH
18th-July-2005, 12:58 PM

It was my first time there too, it was an uttery fantastic night there, and had a great vibe. Can't wait until the next one :nice:
Also really great meeting more forumites, and find out more people I know are also here :cheers:

Oh and Zebra woman was great to watch carrying out her dare!