PDA

View Full Version : London getting back to normal?

DaveD
8th-July-2005, 07:51 PM
In keeping with the theme of getting on with life after yesterday's horrific events, I find I will be in London on Wednesday night next week. Can anyone confirm if the Jive Bar will be open (I know its very close to the Tavistock Place incident)

Would love to hear from any or all of Sal, Foxylady or Divissima :hug:

Dave

LMC
8th-July-2005, 08:08 PM
I work very near Tavistock Square. The latest is that the bus is covered with a tarpaulin while they are doing forensics, etc. But they are hoping to have it all open again on Monday. I don't know about the Jive Bar itself though (but will make it up there a few times during the summer 'cos Stevenage - 10 minutes from home! - will be closed).

Purple Sparkler
9th-July-2005, 10:47 AM
In keeping with the theme of getting on with life after yesterday's horrific events, I find I will be in London on Wednesday night next week. Can anyone confirm if the Jive Bar will be open (I know its very close to the Tavistock Place incident)

Would love to hear from any or all of Sal, Foxylady or Divissima :hug:

Dave

It had better be!
*awaits developments*

stewart38
10th-July-2005, 11:39 AM
I work very near Tavistock Square. The latest is that the bus is covered with a tarpaulin while they are doing forensics, etc. But they are hoping to have it all open again on Monday. I don't know about the Jive Bar itself though (but will make it up there a few times during the summer 'cos Stevenage - 10 minutes from home! - will be closed).

I heard/felt the bus bomb explode so not nice

Took friday off , but going back via Kings cross on monday :sad:

Lucy Locket
10th-July-2005, 11:52 AM
Take care all of you

Gus
10th-July-2005, 12:28 PM
Unfortunately Londoners have become 'used' to attrocities (thanks to the IRA etc :angry: ). They are a resiliant bunch. 24 hours after the carnage people were back on the streets to prove the fact that no one is going to intimidate them. I overheard more than one group talking about "not letting the b*****ds win" .... Seems like most events are making every effort to carruy on as usual. Might be usefull if Ceroc UK put out an email or updated the website to confirm that all venues are open (if that is the case). We all intend to be at Jnago on Monday I know that :o

Stuart
10th-July-2005, 01:45 PM
Unfortunately Londoners have become 'used' to attrocities (thanks to the IRA etc :angry: ). They are a resiliant bunch. 24 hours after the carnage people were back on the streets to prove the fact that no one is going to intimidate them. I overheard more than one group talking about "not letting the b*****ds win" .... Seems like most events are making every effort to carruy on as usual. Might be usefull if Ceroc UK put out an email or updated the website to confirm that all venues are open (if that is the case). We all intend to be at Jnago on Monday I know that :o

There is something on Ceroc London's website.

Lynn
10th-July-2005, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately Londoners have become 'used' to attrocities (thanks to the IRA etc :angry: ). They are a resiliant bunch. 24 hours after the carnage people were back on the streets to prove the fact that no one is going to intimidate them. I don't think its just being used to them, we would be more used to them here. I just think Londoners cope well in a crisis. Pull together, help each other. The way the emergency services coped and the way the public responded show that. They just won't let something like this keep them down. :worthy:

Danielle
10th-July-2005, 09:21 PM
as said before, its happened to us so many times before - the last attack was only 3 years ago, i still plan to go to london both tomo and tuesday night, and despite the authorities leaving hospital beds empty as they are expecting another attack i don't believe you can't let fear rule your life!!!

DianaS
11th-July-2005, 09:59 AM
The idea below seems sensible with or with out any terrorist threats. I'm still at risk more from my own driving(!)

Following the disaster in London East Anglian Ambulance Service have
launched a national "In case of Emergency (ICE)" campaign with the support
of Falklands war hero Simon Weston and in association with Vodafone's annual
life savers award.

The idea is that you store the word "I C E" in your mobile phone address
book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be
contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to
quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's
so simple that everyone can do it. Please do. Please will you also forward
this to everybody in your address book, it won't take
Too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could
save your life.

For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc .

David Bailey
11th-July-2005, 10:52 AM
The idea below seems sensible with or with out any terrorist threats. I'm still at risk more from my own driving(!)
Or being splashed by wandering dancers with full glasses of drink in their hands :)

Following the disaster in London East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency (ICE)" campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston and in association with Vodafone's annual life savers award.
Excellent idea - I've done mine.

London "atmosphere", in so far as such a thing can ever be judged, seems to be to be near-normal. It certainly wasn't on Friday, very eerie everywhere. Plus, people being friendly, that was particularly spooky... :devil:

But we're back to ourselves more now, I think.

KatieR
11th-July-2005, 11:09 AM
I have found it quite hard to get back to complete normal as I still have a lot of people from Australia trying to contact me either through my parents or leaving me text messages. But certainly am in the same mindset as most people in that I feel that I want to go on with life more than ever now. i somehow feel like I want to enjoy every second even more. I guess I have a new found respect for the gift we have been given by the Big Man.

DianaS
11th-July-2005, 11:13 AM
Or being splashed by wandering dancers with full glasses of drink in their hands :)

Excellent idea - I've done mine.

London "atmosphere", in so far as such a thing can ever be judged, seems to be to be near-normal. It certainly wasn't on Friday, very eerie everywhere. Plus, people being friendly, that was particularly spooky... :devil:

But we're back to ourselves more now, I think.
Hi
Hmmm...I didn't envy you wandering around with wet trousers, a bit suspect in a dirty dancing weekend! :whistle: :innocent:
Friends from Birmingham were caught up in the Birmingham evacuations, apparently it was really smoothly handled, and people were calm...It raised confidence that the services had really got things sorted and were on the ball! Hey it was good to meet you!
Diana

stewart38
11th-July-2005, 04:17 PM

Of course we dont get 'use' to this

Another bomb and we get less 'use' to it

Ive worked in the city on and off for years and believe me a few bombs can intimidate me :sad:

Going pass King Cross today you could feel people holding their breath

Sure life goes on but know we dont get use to it

LMC
11th-July-2005, 04:36 PM
Of course we dont get 'use' to this

Another bomb and we get less 'use' to it

Ive worked in the city on and off for years and believe me a few bombs can intimidate me :sad:

Going pass King Cross today you could feel people holding their breath

Sure life goes on but know we dont get use to it

:yeah:

I get off the train at Kings Cross every morning. I am having to walk a different route to the office - I asked a policeman this morning when Tavistock Sq would be open again - and they don't know. You catch your breath every time you see a police car speeding along with lights and sirens going and wonder where they are going and what's happening.

I've only been working in the City for two years - but I doubt whether I will "get used to it" either.

People's routines might be back to normal - and if they were not hurt or bereaved by Thursday's tragic events, that is as it should be. But even for those of us who only suffered worry and inconvenience it will take a bit longer before it all *feels* normal again.

JoC
11th-July-2005, 04:44 PM
The idea is that you store the word "I C E" in your mobile phone address
book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be
contacted "In Case of Emergency".

This seems like a useful idea that could apply to anyone, anywhere. Wonder how far the idea could spread without advertising.

David Bailey
11th-July-2005, 06:37 PM
This seems like a useful idea that could apply to anyone, anywhere. Wonder how far the idea could spread without advertising.
I've already got it 3 times (2 mails and here), so I think it's spreading pretty fast...

Minnie M
11th-July-2005, 06:43 PM
I have already received four emails about it

DaveD
11th-July-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by DianaS
Following the disaster in London East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency (ICE)" campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston and in association with Vodafone's annual life savers award.

First I've heard of this but it sounds like a good idea.

Hope to see some of you at the Jive bar on Wednesday

Dave

foxylady
12th-July-2005, 12:23 AM
First I've heard of this but it sounds like a good idea.

Hope to see some of you at the Jive bar on Wednesday

Dave

Dave, Have just heard from David Bradley that as Tavistock square is still closed the Jive Bar will not be open on wednesday.....
Ashtons, in cricklewood, is on, as is Wessex House in Clapham

Hope too see you (I'll probably go to Ashtons :wink: )

Foxy

KatieR
12th-July-2005, 10:00 AM
Dave, Have just heard from David Bradley that as Tavistock square is still closed the Jive Bar will not be open on wednesday.....
Ashtons, in cricklewood, is on, as is Wessex House in Clapham

Hope too see you (I'll probably go to Ashtons :wink: )

Foxy

Shame about the Jive Bar but I will be going to fulham and Ashtons.

how can anyone get 'used' to having their home bombed and then the possibility that it could happen again. But to quote Fran from strictly ballroom 'a life lived in fear is a life half lived' so we must all go on as best we can.

:hug:

Sparkles
12th-July-2005, 10:02 AM
The e-mail from Ceroc London - just for anyone who didn't get it:

"The Jive Bar is closed this week as Tavistock Square is still closed. Ashtons is
open on this Wednesday as is Wessex House.

The Casbah is also closed for one week this Friday because the floor is being
resurfaced. Ashtons will be having a freestyle party night this Friday.

For more details and directions www.ceroclondon.com"

... I predict Ashtons will be packed on Wednesday... :(

S. x

DaveD
12th-July-2005, 06:39 PM
Shame about the Jive Bar but I will be going to fulham and Ashtons.

how can anyone get 'used' to having their home bombed and then the possibility that it could happen again. But to quote Fran from strictly ballroom 'a life lived in fear is a life half lived' so we must all go on as best we can.

Looks Like Ashton's is the place to be on Wednesday. Thanks to Foxy Lady for the info re Jive bar see you at Ashtons - hope I can find it!

Nice to see another fan of Strictly Ballroom - good movie!

Dave

Gus
12th-July-2005, 07:05 PM
how can anyone get 'used' to having their home bombed and then the possibility that it could happen again. I think my original phrasing was off key and gave the wriong opinion. I think what I was trying to say is that after a while some people experience a lessening of sensitivity. This has been seen in NI and was my personal experince during the IRA terror campaign in Birmingham and London.

No one wants to get 'used' to this, but I think that there has to be a change in mind-set that says that the price for a degree of freedom and safety is to accept tighter security, more intrusive measures and maybe a more 'robust' attutude to those who are potentaily a threat.

David Bailey
12th-July-2005, 07:56 PM
I think my original phrasing was off key and gave the wriong opinion. I think what I was trying to say is that after a while some people experience a lessening of sensitivity. This has been seen in NI and was my personal experince during the IRA terror campaign in Birmingham and London.
Having experienced a little of the tailend of the Northern Ireland situation, I think it's more that people become accustomed to a certain level of violence as part of their everyday life; it becomes "normal" in other words.

No one wants to get 'used' to this, but I think that there has to be a change in mind-set that says that the price for a degree of freedom and safety is to accept tighter security, more intrusive measures
Yes, and yes; reluctantly.

and maybe a more 'robust' attutude to those who are potentaily a threat.
No - the trouble is, that road often leads us straight to internment, and I think most people would realise that's only good for creating new terrorists.

Israel's been using "Robust measures" for 10 years (arguably longer), and the only result is to bring suicide bombings into fashion; it certainly hasn't made Israelis more secure. Sometimes you need to take robust measures to ensure you don't take "robust measures"...

Purple Sparkler
13th-July-2005, 09:51 AM
- hope I can find it!

Nice to see another fan of Strictly Ballroom - good movie!

Dave

Firstly: This is your Public Service Purple Sparkler:

Anyone who wants to go to Ashtons tonight but doesn't know where the hell it is should get the Thameslink (from Kentish Town or West Hampstead tube as KX is shut still) up to Cricklewood railway station for 7.20. I shall be arriving there from Mill Hill around then. If folk PM me and let me know they'll be there, I shall be happy to be your Ashtons Tour Guide for the evening (or at least show you where it is!).

Secondly: If you want to find fans of 'Strictly Ballroom', you're in the right place! "What do I want? I'll TELL you what I want! I want Ken Railings to walk in here right now and say 'Pam Short's broken both her legs, and I want to dance with you!"
"Pam Short's broken both her legs, and I want to dance with you."
"That was unexpected!"

KatieR
13th-July-2005, 10:01 AM
I think my original phrasing was off key and gave the wriong opinion. I think what I was trying to say is that after a while some people experience a lessening of sensitivity. This has been seen in NI and was my personal experince during the IRA terror campaign in Birmingham and London.

No one wants to get 'used' to this, but I think that there has to be a change in mind-set that says that the price for a degree of freedom and safety is to accept tighter security, more intrusive measures and maybe a more 'robust' attutude to those who are potentaily a threat.

Unfortunately from Australia, we have never truly experienced anything like these bombings or IRA attacks. Over there we do to a degree live a somewhat sheltered life. We have droughts, floods etc but have never really been involved in any terror attacks *touch wood*. I guess really being involved in something such as this really does make you re evaluate what you have. It has certainly changed my attitude and if it means my family, friends and my own safety i am prepared to accept what measures are needed.

stewart38
13th-July-2005, 10:27 AM
Unfortunately from Australia, we have never truly experienced anything like these bombings or IRA attacks. Over there we do to a degree live a somewhat sheltered life. We have droughts, floods etc but have never really been involved in any terror attacks *touch wood*. I guess really being involved in something such as this really does make you re evaluate what you have. It has certainly changed my attitude and if it means my family, friends and my own safety i am prepared to accept what measures are needed.

FYI

last month

-----------------------
Australian authorities raided four homes in Melbourne, officials said on Thursday, as media reported an investigation that Islamic extremists could be planning attacks on landmarks including the Sydney Opera House.
The raids were carried out by counter-terrorism officers on Wednesday to search for information, Attorney-General Philip Ruddock told reporters in Canberra.
"These were essentially search warrants and they are about obaining access to information," Ruddock said.
"They don't lead to arrests."
Local media reported the raids were part of a 10-month investigation by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).
Newspapers said the investigation had revealed "Islamic extremists" were considering attacks against train stations and the stock exchange building in Melbourne, as well as the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.
Authorities would not confirm details of the raids other than to say the investigations, code-named Operation Pandanus, were continuing. No one has been detained or arrested and Ruddock declined to say whether any documents or computers were seized.
----------------------------------

Now we are having a 2 minute silence , why do that ??

KatieR
13th-July-2005, 11:11 AM
FYI

last month

-----------------------
Australian authorities raided four homes in Melbourne, officials said on Thursday, as media reported an investigation that Islamic extremists could be planning attacks on landmarks including the Sydney Opera House.
The raids were carried out by counter-terrorism officers on Wednesday to search for information, Attorney-General Philip Ruddock told reporters in Canberra.
"These were essentially search warrants and they are about obaining access to information," Ruddock said.
"They don't lead to arrests."
Local media reported the raids were part of a 10-month investigation by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).
Newspapers said the investigation had revealed "Islamic extremists" were considering attacks against train stations and the stock exchange building in Melbourne, as well as the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.
Authorities would not confirm details of the raids other than to say the investigations, code-named Operation Pandanus, were continuing. No one has been detained or arrested and Ruddock declined to say whether any documents or computers were seized.
----------------------------------

Now we are having a 2 minute silence , why do that ??

Thanks for the info but i dont want people to get the wrong idea. i dont deny that definately there have been these raids and investigations as such but Australia has never experienced anything like the IRA bombings or 9/11 etc. Is that because our security is better? Is it because we arent as involved as Europe? I dont know.. its all speculation. I cant say anything but my own thoughts and those are what i posted before. Think I might make a fast exit from this thread as people are starting to misinterpret peoples thoughts for fact.

stewart38
13th-July-2005, 02:02 PM
Is it because we arent as involved as Europe? I dont know.. its all speculation. I cant say anything but my own thoughts and those are what i posted before. Think I might make a fast exit from this thread as people are starting to misinterpret peoples thoughts for fact.

Not sure how Bali was involved with any of above :sick:

Point im trying to make is I dont think any country should feel superior just because they havent been targeted YET.

KatieR
13th-July-2005, 02:11 PM
Not sure how Bali was involved with any of above :sick:

Point im trying to make is I dont think any country should feel superior just because they havent been targeted YET.

Crikey.. why does one feel they have to justify everything they say. I did not mean that Australia was superior in any way at all. It was just MY THOUGHTS and how I FELT about the situation. Why do people have to assume things.

enuff from me.